What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (7 Viewers)

Played in my member guest over the weekend and did much better than expected especially since I haven't played since October.

Highlights for me were two birdies in the practice round on Thursday and a 175 yard 7-iron to two feet that won a closest to the pin.

Came second in our flight. The team that won was "re-establishing" their handicaps and destroyed everyone in our flight. They then advanced to the final and came second out of eight teams as the 7th ranked team. They won themselves close to $5k as the Calcutta pool was fairly big. One was the nephew of a member and the other was the nephew's BIL. GDB a 14 that shoots like a 9 and a 20 that shoots like a 15.

our club has a 4th of July "red, white & blue" tourney that i'm going to play in. Never done this but it sounds like fun. You get to choose which 6 holes you play from each of the red, white or blue tees but you have to have 6 of each category.

so my strategy is i'm looking at the scorecard and thinking about the tee shots on each of the holes, i basically took the hardest holes and mid length par 4's on the course and turned those into RED tees, the middle holes into white tee shots and the easiest as blues.

A couple of the par 4's that are normally like 370 will be 320 and almost driveable from the red tees. One of the par 3's from the blues is 200 from the red it's 135, things like that. All the holes where there's not much distance change from white to blue, i chose blue.

Anyone ever done one of these and does my strategy make sense?

That sounds interesting.

If I'm trying to maximize birdies/eagles I'd play every par 5 from the reds, regardless of whether it's considered an easy or hard hole. Assuming there are 4 of those then I'd take the two longest par 3's, which are usually my toughest holes, and play those from the reds. The longer more difficult par 4's and remaining par 3's would be from the whites. Then I figure you'd have 6 medium length or shortish par 4's left to play from the tips.

One of the local courses here is doing a red/white/blue 2-man best ball but the holes are pre-selected: par-3s from the blue, par-4s from the white, and par-5s from the red.

I think there's a lot more strategy in allowing people to choose the holes. Sounds like it would be a lot more fun as well.

I'd try to keep all par 3s under 200. After that I like the strategy of shortening the lengthier par 4s. Length isn't an issue for me so Id probably keep the par 5s at the tips. But really I think you gotta look at the differences between the tees (could be like 10-60 yards), look at the tee shots with the potential landing areas (or whether some longer tees would be hitting over a hazard) and go from there.

That sounds interesting.

If I'm trying to maximize birdies/eagles I'd play every par 5 from the reds, regardless of whether

it's considered an easy or hard hole. Assuming there are 4 of those then I'd take the two longest par 3's, which are usually my toughest holes, and play those from the reds. The longer more mdifficult par 4's and remaining par 3's would be from the whites. Then I figure you'd have 6 medium length or shortish par 4's left to play from the tips.
This makes sense too

as long as they're not super long, i'd probably play the 3's all the way back. i seem to be pretty accurate hitting mid and long irons off a tee. much rather have wedge into a par 4 or mid iron into a par 5 in two, than 130 on a par 3.

never heard of that and it definitely sounds fun. that one is going to spread.

Out 47

In 47

didn't track stats for this round, but wasn't pretty. found a case of the Lefts out there: everything pulled and/or hooking, where my "normal" shot is much more straight/small fade. made for a tough afternoon and had one par all day.

Out 47

In 43

6 fairways, 3 GIR, 29 putts, two balls in the water and one OB, and one lost. wasn't going to play but got out of Jury Duty early. outward nine was a replication of the prior round: everything left from tee to wedges. finally figured out that i was standing about 1" too far away from the ball, moved closer, and started hitting it straight again. got a little unlucky with a lost ball on #17, but dropped a two putts outside of 20' for pars so it evened out. short game was as good as it's been all year between not hitting GIR, and getting up & down for par or bogey. probably won't get out again for a couple more weeks.

Just found out I get to play Chicago Golf Club this year. Buddy of mine won a free foursome there in a charity pro am for the local junior golf assoc. Looks like we are setting it up for June.

:pickle:
I grew up about 1 mile from Chicago Golf Club, caddied there for years, and played the course about 20 times. Great course, tough but very fair. It's wide open, but hopefully you play when it's not really windy. Keep the ball out of the prairie grass........you will have a tough time finding your ball, let alone hit it out.

couple of pointers, based on my foggy memory

Number 8 - blind tee shot, target is right over the big mound that's in front of you....about 150 or so yards from the tee. If you have caddies, they will sit on that mound.

Many holes have false fronts so you have to carry it deeper into the green

Number 7 will look short, but don't let the bunkers in front fool you......the second one is well short of the green......it's a full 200 or so yards.

First 4 holes are hard, especially #2.

Here is a link where you can see pictures of the course.

http://www.golftripper.com/chicago-golf-club/

Have a great time......not many get the privilege of playing Chicago Golf Club.....probably the hardest course to play in the Chicago area.
We are set to play next Thursday at noon. Woooot!!

Zow said:
That sounds interesting.

If I'm trying to maximize birdies/eagles I'd play every par 5 from the reds, regardless of whether

it's considered an easy or hard hole. Assuming there are 4 of those then I'd take the two longest par 3's, which are usually my toughest holes, and play those from the reds. The longer more mdifficult par 4's and remaining par 3's would be from the whites. Then I figure you'd have 6 medium length or shortish par 4's left to play from the tips.
This makes sense too
i went out last night and practiced my strategy on the course. first hole par 5 i played from whites, its only 490 so smashed one 320 and hit 7 iron for 2nd shot. short par 3 next, played whites, short par 4 i played red, this was a mistake in hindsight. its not much difference between red and blue, we will play from Blue in the tourney. the next 3 holes we played Red and it makes a huge difference. they are all par 4's and that stretch of holes is like bogey city, so we pick up a lot of distance by going red. the last few holes blue or white makes little difference.

on the back, the first par 5 we played white, but in the tourney i think we'll go red. our second shots will be 150-120 yards there. i was at 190 yesterday after smoking a drive from the blues. there's a par 3 on 12 that we definitely will play from red its the difference between a 4 iron and PW in distance and really tough green. we'll alternate white/blue on the next several holes until 18 which is a par 5 we played from the reds. I hit my drive 330 and hit my second from 120 with a 50 degree wedge to 3 feet for eagle. I shot 1 over par 72 with a double and 4 bogeys, but i think if we do it right and i have my irons dialed in, its quite possible i could shoot in the high 60's pretty easily using this format. We shall see, i'm really excited about this game.

One of the local courses here is doing a red/white/blue 2-man best ball but the holes are pre-selected: par-3s from the blue, par-4s from the white, and par-5s from the red.

I think there's a lot more strategy in allowing people to choose the holes. Sounds like it would be a lot more fun as well.
Great idea. We are taking it one step further for our FF draft week golf outing. We are doing a 2 man scramble where each team pulls a red, white or blue chip out of a hat on every hole and that is where your team hits from.

^^ Sounds like a good idea as well.. So you have two 2-man teams on every tbox who witness each other pulling the chips out of the hat (fairly)? Or is it the honor system. "Hey, we got red every hole! how bout that?"

^^ Sounds like a good idea as well.. So you have two 2-man teams on every tbox who witness each other pulling the chips out of the hat (fairly)? Or is it the honor system. "Hey, we got red every hole! how bout that?"
We will have a can with red white and blue poker chips in it. One guy from the other team will pull a chip. Then it's put back in and then a guy from my 2 man team pulls a chip. So you hold the cup for the other 2 man team's draw in your 4 some.

...then you drink....heavily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is "re-establishing my handicap" an actual thing in golf?
yes, assuming you had a GHIN number previously. if so, and assuming it's not currently active, then your current club will have to re-activate so it will adjust when you start posting scores.

yes, assuming you had a GHIN number previously. if so, and assuming it's not currently active, then your current club will have to re-activate so it will adjust when you start posting scores.
I think he might be asking to wipe his current one clean and start from scratch. but not sure.

I think he might be asking to wipe his current one clean and start from scratch. but not sure.
I played against a team that was "re-establishing" their handicaps and they destroyed our flight. So I'm wondering whether there's an actual procedure or not.

if using the same GHIN number, then i don't think there's a way to "wipe it clean". old(er) scores will drop off as new ones are added, and then the revision to the Index will take place and begin to reflect the correct number.

that said, if you register at another club (virtual or otherwise) they might issue a brand new GHIN number and then it would be like starting over. i've never tried it though, so i'm not 100% if it works that way.

I played against a team that was "re-establishing" their handicaps and they destroyed our flight. So I'm wondering whether there's an actual procedure or not.
"destroyed" as in cleaned house and won?

that sounds fishy as ####.

Yes

Yes
like urbanhack said: fishy as ####.

i don't like to throw "sandbagger" around, but if these guys had numbers in the mid-20s (for example) and are then posting tourney scores in the low 80s, then i'd be calling some bullchit.

Yeah, it was.

They got to the final with the winners of the other 7 flights (they won flight 7) and beat a team that had a plus 2 (he'd played a couple tour events). They ended up coming second overall and winning a pile of $$$. They might have won the whole thing but they both put a ball in the water on the last tee.

Yes

i don't like to throw "sandbagger" around, but if these guys had numbers in the mid-20s (for example) and are then posting tourney scores in the low 80s, then i'd be calling some bullchit.
One of the pros looked at all of their cards after the course of the tournament and said they were definitely sandbaggers. One of them was the nephew of a member and the other was the nephew's BIL.

Nephew was a 14 but played like a 9 and the BIL was a 20 who played like a 14.

How did the professional staff allow this to happen? Did they play in this event last year? Did they get new GHIN numbers? I'd ask some questions.

Yes

One of the pros looked at all of their cards after the course of the tournament and said they were definitely sandbaggers.
Yes...well they are in charge of running the tournament and verifying handicaps, unless this is a "loosely" run event.

How did the professional staff allow this to happen? Did they play in this event last year? Did they get new GHIN numbers? I'd ask some questions.
No idea. They didn't play last year and the pro who was organizing the event crashed his bike on the Monday before the Thursday start and was in the hospital. It's a member/guest but members can bring extra teams.

I will ask next time I get out there.

Yeah, it was.

They got to the final with the winners of the other 7 flights (they won flight 7) and beat a team that had a plus 2 (he'd played a couple tour events). They ended up coming second overall and winning a pile of $$$. They might have won the whole thing but they both put a ball in the water on the last tee.
It's sad that this happens all of the time. There are always 2 or 3 people who ruin the fun for everyone.

exactly.

the tourney organizers/pro need to protect the field. verifying GHIN numbers and history is one way, another would be to only apply a % of handicaps for the event.

Yes

One of the pros looked at all of their cards after the course of the tournament and said they were definitely sandbaggers. One of them was the nephew of a member and the other was the nephew's BIL.

Well, I do suppose it's possible they just had good days. There I'd gauge body language. I played a tourney a few weeks ago against a twosome who were 18s and both shot in the 70s, but they genuinely seemed incredibly stoked with their play.

It's also possible one of the players has just been playing poorly as of late. I saw this because anecdotally I was an 8 a couple years ago but a huge swing flaw and mental demons have ruined my game as of late and I'm an 18 now. Regardless, it's likely possible I could throw up a 78 for any given round if I ever "find it" again. I'm also a gigantic asset in a scramble because I have the ability to still make great shots in a round and it's mental easier to tee off after your partner has one in the middle.

Yes

Well, I do suppose it's possible they just had good days. There I'd gauge body language. I played a tourney a few weeks ago against a twosome who were 18s and both shot in the 70s, but they genuinely seemed incredibly stoked with their play.

It's also possible one of the players has just been playing poorly as of late. I saw this because anecdotally I was an 8 a couple years ago but a huge swing flaw and mental demons have ruined my game as of late and I'm an 18 now. Regardless, it's likely possible I could throw up a 78 for any given round if I ever "find it" again. I'm also a gigantic asset in a scramble because I have the ability to still make great shots in a round and it's mental easier to tee off after your partner has one in the middle.
Oh Bull####™

What are the odds of that 16-handicapper breaking 80?

Knuth: The odds of someone beating their handicap -- if it's an honest handicap -- by eight strokes are 1,138 to 1. For most players that represents about 54 years of golf -- a lifetime for many. The odds of beating your number by eight strokes twice are 14,912 to 1, or 710 years of golf.

And their calibration or re-establishing a handicap is utter bull####. The handicap calculation/algorithm is always adjusting your index based on your playing history, especially your recent playing history. The more I thought about this, the bigger the red flag.

And their calibration or re-establishing a handicap is utter bull####. The handicap calculation/algorithm is always adjusting your index based on your playing history, especially your recent playing history. The more I thought about this, the bigger the red flag.
I agree with this.

Yeah I don't know what to tell you guys though on the range of scores that some people can shoot and how I can see myself in those spots. On 11/30/13 I shot a 72 (granted it was on like a 6k yards, 114 indexed course where I made a hole in one and two other eagles in the same round). I've probably shot 10-15 rounds in the 70s. I'm currently a legit 18.5. I get the math and the unlikelihoods, I really do. But at least speaking anecdotally I can see myself in those spots. I chalk that up to being somebody who has played a ton of swinging sports and can hit the ball a long ways but lacks the previous experience and practice to be consistent. Heck, just last week I shot a 50-35. :shrug:

But you've been below an 18. Guys who are working their way down don't dip that low.

I'm an 8 and only put up a few 70s a year anymore

85 isn't 79

But you've been below an 18. Guys who are working their way down don't dip that low.

I'm an 8 and only put up a few 70s a year anymore

85 isn't 79
I agree with all of this. I guess my point was that we technically don't know if those guys were ascending or descending.

ETA: Also I obviously haven't touched a score in the 70s since the steep ascent. I think I shot an 82 while drunk and happy a few months ago but that's the closest I've gotten.

if you would have allowed me to "re-establish my handicap" starting in April, i would have posted a bunch of mid 80's rounds, and then the last month a bunch of low 70's rounds.

is that fair? #### no.

Any pro that allows that in a member guest has already well out kicked his coverage and should get reamed and maybe fired depending on the club.

I play with a legit 14 he's nver shot in the 70s
I am a legit 13-15 that plays by the rules. I have never shot in the 70s. I have played with guys who are 14s but roll the ball and give 4 foot putt that might shoot a 79.

Users who are viewing this thread