What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

Broke 40 for the first time in 3 years last night in my league. Birdied both Par 3s for the first time ever in a 9 hole match. First one was chit luck..playing 190 I hit a screamer with my rescue that never went over 15 feet in the air but hit the mogul in front of the green and popped up to 6-7 feet from the hole. Second one hit my 7 from 155 to 4 feet. Love those deuces on the card.

Apple Jack said:
sounds a bit like what we used to do at the club where I worked in high school. we just called it around the world. playing from one tee to four green, five tee to six green, etc. it was fun. Even did a glow ball like that. Same club Open qualifier Denny McCarthy is a member, where his father was club champion when I worked there.
Kind of. They hit to checkpoints on one hole before shooting onto another green. And it's all timed, so they are running through woods and obstacles. And the courses they are on are like mountain courses, so the terrain is pretty crazy.

Broke 40 for the first time in 3 years last night in my league. Birdied both Par 3s for the first time ever in a 9 hole match. First one was chit luck..playing 190 I hit a screamer with my rescue that never went over 15 feet in the air but hit the mogul in front of the green and popped up to 6-7 feet from the hole. Second one hit my 7 from 155 to 4 feet. Love those deuces on the card.
It is amazing how this game screws with your head. I have never shot par in my life for 9 holes. After a birdie on #8 I stood on the 9th tee at even par. 4 pars,2 birds and 2 bogeys. #9 is the easiest par 4 on the course..a downhill 350 with a slight doggy left. Been hitting my driver straight as an arrow all day yet while on the tee thinking about a par round I go back and grab my 3 wood. I proceed to yank my 3 wood way left under a pine tree, from there I punch out across the fairway and end up under another pine tree, I try to smoke one under the tree to the green and put the ball in the trap. With a tight pin and the green running away I end up with a 30 foot bender coming back. Of course I three putt from there for a triple and a 39. :wall:

The Furyk Golf Academy show is on Golf Network right now.

Highly recommend it for anyone looking to help with chipping and pitching. Guy is great at explaining it.

Some pretty big news to share. The company I've been working at for 18+ years is now co-owned by the PGA Tour. Legally, it's owned by an affiliate company owned by the PGA Tour, but it's all legal jargon as the TOUR is non profit. We are in the golf technology, tee time space and many of you know it formerly as ezlinks.com, but it's been teeoff.com for the past year or so. We just shot our first commericals this week and they will be airing next week on Golf Channel and CBS during The Travelers.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Some pretty big news to share. The company I've been working at for 18+ years is now co-owned by the PGA Tour. Legally, it's owned by an affiliate company owned by the PGA Tour, but it's all legal jargon as the TOUR is non profit. We are in the golf technology, tee time space and many of you know it formerly as ezlinks.com, but it's been teeoff.com for the past year or so. We just shot our first commericals this week and they will be airing next week on Golf Channel and CBS during The Travelers.
Congrats and hoping big :profits: to you! :hifive:

Awesome hack.

in other news my hand is not healing and I'm afraid I may have broke a bone.

I tried playing today and could only manage to swing about 30 percent speed with sone pain.

my drives were about 190 lol.

I managed to hit 11 fairways and scrapped together a 91 lol. Pretty much played old man golf. Tough to get in trouble when you barely can hit it

Finally had my best round ever today and broke 90 / shot 86, don't ####### laugh (getting there ,after 12 years of playing golf :bag: )

Irons are all worked out. Some good advice here, but envisioning hitting the ball thin and inside has worked for my shank/blocking more than anything.

Usually something else goes when I work something else out but my driver is still straight and long as ever. I'm not going to throw out numbers because everyone probably exaggerates but it's longer than anyone I've played with for years now. Pretty simple for me: if I turn my right wrist over through my swing, I don't miss the fairway (also, I'm a tank - think Jon Daly's build), if I leave it too open (my worst habit), I lose it way right.

Need a little work now at lob shots within 50 yards of the pin (when I have to get over a bunker).

I use a 56 degree Cleveland for anything <50 - wondering I should look into a 62 degree for stuff within 15 feet or so. Always try to putt or chip and run where I can but the fringe and rough were really think today around the greens

What's great is when you get to the point where you just no longer (or very rarely) skull, chunk or completely duff a shot. Those things don't happen anymore to me and I think that's attributable to the lessons

Last edited by a moderator:
Too long a thread, not enough time:

Recommended online/dvd instructional series? I had a set of 3 lessons w/ pro at local course and benefited. But now with kiddo, not enough time (it's a theme) or money to continue that method of practice right yet. Unconcerned about strategy, much rather focus on fundamentals and getting consistent swing

Grassy

Too long a thread, not enough time:

Recommended online/dvd instructional series? I had a set of 3 lessons w/ pro at local course and benefited. But now with kiddo, not enough time (it's a theme) or money to continue that method of practice right yet. Unconcerned about strategy, much rather focus on fundamentals and getting consistent swing

Grassy
You sound like a busy guy that needs to cut through the crap.

Lose the lessons and go with the Jack ...the Jack Hammer!!

Seems like every year I start out slow then catch fire from june-sep. Sure enough after posting a bunch of mid 80's rounds this year, I go out and shoot 73. And it was an "easy" 73, I doubled the 4th hole after crushing a 300 yd drive, bladed a 9 iron. Chipped well, putted well, drove the ball long and in the fairway.

This will be the year I shoot in the 60's, I can feel it

sounds a bit like what we used to do at the club where I worked in high school. we just called it around the world. playing from one tee to four green, five tee to six green, etc. it was fun. Even did a glow ball like that. Same club Open qualifier Denny McCarthy is a member, where his father was club champion when I worked there.
Did that too. Worked at the local CC with 3 friends who all played at our HSs...one would work while the others had free reign of the entire course...wonder if that kind of stuff happens any more. HS kids are too damn serious.

Looking to head down to Orlando for a golf trip with my buddies this winter. I searched online for some packages and there seems to be plenty. Anyone play down there and have any courses to recommend? Keep in mind, I'm the best of my friends and I'm a 19, so we don't want anything that would send us home with a headache...

I don't have any help to Rox above, but it did get me thinking about a question I had earlier this week. My buddies and I were thinking about planning a small golf vacation. Not sure where, but someplace that we can drive to. Just the 4 of us. What's the best way to shop for golf deals? Are there specific websites that anyone uses that are good?

I don't have any help to Rox above, but it did get me thinking about a question I had earlier this week. My buddies and I were thinking about planning a small golf vacation. Not sure where, but someplace that we can drive to. Just the 4 of us. What's the best way to shop for golf deals? Are there specific websites that anyone uses that are good?
OC Md.

Play

Baywood Greens

Bayside

Lighthouse Sound

http://www.oceancitygolf.com/

My buddy used tee1off.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to head down to Orlando for a golf trip with my buddies this winter. I searched online for some packages and there seems to be plenty. Anyone play down there and have any courses to recommend? Keep in mind, I'm the best of my friends and I'm a 19, so we don't want anything that would send us home with a headache...
Grand Cypress New Course, Celebration, Hawk's Landing...but definitely Grand Cypress. Those are all near Disney and Convention Center, if you don't stay near attractions area list would expand. I live east of town and frequent a course near airport called Eagle Creek, one of my favorite non-big money courses; wide open fairways, big greens, and little water. I think it'd be considered links style in design

Shingle Creek and Falcon's Fire are the only two courses I've played in the "Orlando area." They're both very nice, but their winter rates will be pushing $100 a pop if not more.

I've played Highland's Reserve and Providence as well. They'll be more budget friendly.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong in that area.

In immediate Orlando area, have only played:

Orange County National (both courses)

Lake Nona (private)

Metrowest

All Disney courses

Marriott World Conference

OCN by far my favorites, with Panther Lake being the one to play if you can only play one of the two. Marriott courses sucked. Disney were okay, nothing great. Preferred the Fazio (I think?). Eagle something or other maybe? I know one of them has since closed.

Grahamburn said:
RoxSolid said:
Shingle Creek and Falcon's Fire are the only two courses I've played in the "Orlando area." They're both very nice, but their winter rates will be pushing $100 a pop if not more.

I've played Highland's Reserve and Providence as well. They'll be more budget friendly.

Honestly, you can't really go wrong in that area.
your best bet will be to build your package using sites like www.teeoff.com and www.golfnow.com

Started playing a lot of golf in the past two years and am getting pretty hooked. After going through the total sucking phase I am now able to hit in the 90's. A few blow up holes but generally bogeys are within reach and even pars and the occasional birdie with good putting during my last few rounds.

My question is what do people do when playing with friends in regards to Mulligans and fixing bad lies? Do you give yourself a couple Mulligans off the tee during a round and not add a stroke, do you fix bad lies on a public course. Stuff like that.

I guess how by the book do people get when tracking scores and following rules by the letter of the law? Just trying to get a general consensus as to what people do as I am fairly new to the sport and didn't grow up playing.

Started playing a lot of golf in the past two years and am getting pretty hooked. After going through the total sucking phase I am now able to hit in the 90's. A few blow up holes but generally bogeys are within reach and even pars and the occasional birdie with good putting during my last few rounds.

My question is what do people do when playing with friends in regards to Mulligans and fixing bad lies? Do you give yourself a couple Mulligans off the tee during a round and not add a stroke, do you fix bad lies on a public course. Stuff like that.

I guess how by the book do people get when tracking scores and following rules by the letter of the law? Just trying to get a general consensus as to what people do as I am fairly new to the sport and didn't grow up playing.
if you're going to carry an Index, that is to say have a handicap and play in tournaments or for money, then you'll want to play by the Rules of Golf and post scores accordingly.

if you're out golfing with your buddies on the weekends for a beer, then feel free to play Winter Rules (i.e. give your ball a bump to a better lie). golf is more fun when you're playing better.

re: mulligans - i'm ok with it personally, as long as it doesn't slow up the group or hold up play behind. it can be frustrating when three out of four guys in a group are all hitting mulligans on every tee, and the group behind is waiting on them. if the course is wide open and i'm playing alone, i might drop two or three balls from 100 yards and work on my wedge game, or hit two or three putts on a green during the round. of course, i'm not going to post a score for that loop.

if you're going to carry an Index, that is to say have a handicap and play in tournaments or for money, then you'll want to play by the Rules of Golf and post scores accordingly.

if you're out golfing with your buddies on the weekends for a beer, then feel free to play Winter Rules (i.e. give your ball a bump to a better lie). golf is more fun when you're playing better.

re: mulligans - i'm ok with it personally, as long as it doesn't slow up the group or hold up play behind. it can be frustrating when three out of four guys in a group are all hitting mulligans on every tee, and the group behind is waiting on them. if the course is wide open and i'm playing alone, i might drop two or three balls from 100 yards and work on my wedge game, or hit two or three putts on a green during the round. of course, i'm not going to post a score for that loop.
Solid advice.

I'm in my fifth year now. For me, scoring and how you play with regard to mulligans is a personal thing. It doesn't mean anything until it starts affecting other people. Once you start keeping a handicap you need to play by strict rules of golf. You need to be honest with your scores so that your handicap truly reflects your ability level. Firstly, if you're handicap is inflated you're going to piss off a lot guys when you win unfairly. Second, if you play with partners in competition you don't want to screw them over by having a vanity-handicap. In my short time playing in competition I've already experience handicaps that were inaccurate in both directions.

Thanks. This is pretty in line with what I have been doing. Not tracking a handicap yet. Don't play with my friends for money so no problems there either.Definitely aware of pace of play and won't take a Mulligan if group behind us has pulled / walked up to our tee box.

Grand Cypress New Course, Celebration, Hawk's Landing...but definitely Grand Cypress. Those are all near Disney and Convention Center, if you don't stay near attractions area list would expand. I live east of town and frequent a course near airport called Eagle Creek, one of my favorite non-big money courses; wide open fairways, big greens, and little water. I think it'd be considered links style in design
Grand Cypress is perfect for groups. The Old Courae replica is fun as hell and fairways are 100 yards wide.

Just finished up my fifth round down in Cabo on vacation. We're here for a week and I played every day except the day we went fishing (caught three striped marlin). All the courses were harder than the ones I play back home, and wow is there a lot of sand. That's what happens when water is hard to come by.

Played fairly well (for me) - first 4 rounds in the 90s and then today it got ugly on the back 9. 43 on the front and then it all went downhill from there. Had a par 5 where I went from tee to fairway bunker to fairway bunker to greenside bunker to green. Managed to make bogey. Also had a hole where I lost 3 balls off the tee and made 12. Shot 62 on the back for a 105. Maybe I got tired.

I definitely noticed that I was striking the ball more consistently after a few days of playing every day. I think it'll encourage me to hit the driving range a couple more times a week.

I think my lesson on Sunday will be focused on sand shots. I was OK on the short ones but terrible on the longer ones.

I used to play a fair amount 20 years ago. I just started playing again this year and I'm having a problem with trying to find the bottom of my swing consistently. There are times where I will hit the ground 2 inches behind the ball and other times where I top it. I went to the range after work today and I did hit it better just by loosening my grip and keeping my arms more relaxed. I still hit some ugly ones though and it's bugging the #### out of me. Any ideas on what might be the problem here?

I used to play a fair amount 20 years ago. I just started playing again this year and I'm having a problem with trying to find the bottom of my swing consistently. There are times where I will hit the ground 2 inches behind the ball and other times where I top it. I went to the range after work today and I did hit it better just by loosening my grip and keeping my arms more relaxed. I still hit some ugly ones though and it's bugging the #### out of me. Any ideas on what might be the problem here?
Could be many things.

Most common -

Dipping your head. Mean you drop your head and you try to recover. You change your plane doing this so you'll stand up or stay down.

Head moving too much on the backswing. Slight movement is ok but you are not turning and sliding backwards.

Same for sliding forward.

Not turning and sliding.

As a drill get in your stance with your forhead touching a wall. Make swings without a club

Shot an 87 today. 43 on the front 44 on the back. Struck the ball amazingly today. Was really compressing the ball with my irons. My short game was just awful. Either way, I'll take an 87 all day. I'm about a Bogey golfer (18 Handicap). Also, I just picked up some Mizuno JPX EZ irons and am really liking them.

Played real golf for the first time in almost 2 years (played in 2 not competitive fund-raiser scrambles in that time). Still have some major tendonitis in my right elbow but it didn't flare up much. I choked down on my driver to help make sure I could make it stick on the clubface. I also made myself square up at address where I have been more upright, narrow and open in the past. Hit it solid all the way around.

Maybe golf is back for me!

Wtf would anyone not named Dustin Johnson or Gary woodland want to play a 7700 yard course.

2 years in of playing quite a bit....trying to focus now on hitting the green anywhere on the 2nd shot....70 rounds so far this year....hoping to get the index down to 10 by december...

Users who are viewing this thread