What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

Summer is tough down here.  If I don't get out of bed on a strict schedule, I'm not running. Way too hot and humid even at 5:30 in the morning. 

I have been working more on some weight lifting including glute strengthening, core and hip stabilization exercises and proprioception.  Went to seminar a few years ago and saw the difference in gait for successful long distance runners.  There is virtually no movement in their hips when they run, so fatigue does not set in nearly as fast. I have been incorporating it alot more with my runners at work as well. Seeing a significant decrease in tendonitis, bursitis, stress fractures and IT Band problems. 

Shoutout to @Juxtatarot for his impressive streak of running 168 days in a row. :thumbup:  
Thanks! I wrote a little about this on Strava but will elaborate.  I feel kind of weird about ending the streak.  It wasn't because I was too busy, injured or anything.  I just decided that I was tired of running every day and made the decision to stop a day prior.  I haven't been noticing performance gains which makes it harder to justify the displeasure of waking up at 5:15 almost every morning.  

I'm planning to take the next month or so easier running maybe 5 days a week or so.  I haven't yet decided what races I want to do in the fall but I assume I'll get the itch to train harder again at some point.  I have almost no motivation right now though.

Been a little git, gents, but finally have something noteworthy to put up here.  

Made it up to the highest paved point in the US - Mt. Evans.  Planted my bike up at 14,130ft.  

Lowlands looking up.

Echo Lake.

Getting higher.

Higher and looking higher - those are way up there.

They go on forever.

Summit Lake - 4 miles from the top. It was still frozen.

Saw a friend right near the top.

At the top - not quite keeling over, but close.

The view from the top. Another - majestic landscape.

These should kick some people in the ### (you know who you are) to post more images in here.  :D

So the climb (6,500 ft.) tripled my previous longest climb.  I have had a whole day here, so the altitude, particularly above 12,000 ft. was really tough.  Two days ago I was at 500ft. I was seeing stars for the last hour or so to the top.  I didn't try to kill this, but stopped, took pictures, enjoyed the view, etc.  Maybe not my best day on a bike, but certainly one of the prettiest.  The Rockies are a national treasure - almost impossible to see views as awe inspiring as that anywhere else in the world.  The climb is an epic ride and something I'll always remember.  

The descent, however, was horrific.  The 14 miles past Echo Lake is pretty broken up - the road has seen a lot of heat/thaw cycles and has lots of opened lines in the road.  This is a terror on cyclists and I'm sure my hands will hurt like hell tomorrow.  Even had to stop about a mile from Echo Lake on the way down due to a cyclist to crashed and had to have life flight take him out.  Not good.  I descended like a complete ninny (like 15mph on the 14 miles from the top).  The last 13 miles from Echo Lake were pretty easy - that's the fun part of the way down.  

Been a little git, gents, but finally have something noteworthy to put up here.  

Made it up to the highest paved point in the US - Mt. Evans.  Planted my bike up at 14,130ft.  

Lowlands looking up.

Echo Lake.

Getting higher.

Higher and looking higher - those are way up there.

They go on forever.

Summit Lake - 4 miles from the top. It was still frozen.

Saw a friend right near the top.

At the top - not quite keeling over, but close.

The view from the top. Another - majestic landscape.

These should kick some people in the ### (you know who you are) to post more images in here.  :D
Awesome stuff (and challenge accepted!).  I can't wait to get up to Colorado next month and experience some real mountains for really only the 2nd time (one run in the Wasatch outside Salt Lake City a couple of years ago).

Between now and then I guess I'll just have to do my best to get some pics here around Marin and up at Western States next weekend!

Not nearly as scenic as Sand's ride, but a beautiful three hours on the trails for me this morning.

No fog means nice views

I need to get back over o the East Bay and run on Mt. Diablo again soon

#singletrackmind

The highlight of the run was catching up on the final couple of miles with an older runner that I see out here a lot.  I've chatted with him once before, and knew he had run ultras all over the world, but I slowed down and spent 20 minutes or so running with him to listen to a few of his stories.  Bob Cowdrey is 71 years old, and in '94 ran three 50 milers in six weeks to get ready for his first Western States, which he then ran in 22:47 at age 50!  He's run a marathon in the Antarctic, the Marathon de Sables stage race in the Sahara,The Coastal Challenges stage race in Costa Rica, and dozens of other ultras and marathons.  Last fall he ran a marathon in Cuba, the JFK 50 Miler, and the Quad Dipsea 28.4 miler in a span of three weeks at age 71!  Oh yeah, then the next week he was on the winning (AG) team in the Cross Country Nationals in Golden Gate Park!  Perusing his Ultrasignup page is beyond impressive.  So inspiring.

Survived my 5k this morning on Siesta Key Beach.  Calf muscles were good, but I still took it easy for this one.  Lots of debris and holes over the entire course with a stronger than average breeze.  It was my first one back and did okay.  This was my 5th race in 6 months.  Looking for more upcoming including 10ks.  Let's hope I hold up.  

Love my bib number today

Last edited by a moderator:
And the fun ends.  Got in a last ride in Boulder.  So in the four days I was here managed 150 miles of riding with 2 HC climbs.  About 13,500ft. of climbing.  Man, I wish I could just retire now and bum around the country just poking along on the bike.  So much fun.  Trying not to think about the pile of work waiting tomorrow.

ATC1 said:
Summer is tough down here.  If I don't get out of bed on a strict schedule, I'm not running. Way too hot and humid even at 5:30 in the morning. 

I have been working more on some weight lifting including glute strengthening, core and hip stabilization exercises and proprioception.  Went to seminar a few years ago and saw the difference in gait for successful long distance runners.  There is virtually no movement in their hips when they run, so fatigue does not set in nearly as fast. I have been incorporating it alot more with my runners at work as well. Seeing a significant decrease in tendonitis, bursitis, stress fractures and IT Band problems. 
So what are some things you can do for hip stabilization exercises?

Strava lets me be lazy about updating my training in here since 99% of you are on there (feels redundant)!  <cough> @tri-man 47 </cough>

My build up has started out better than I anticipated.  It feels great to be back into the 50-55mpw range where I've always felt was a nice sweet spot that I can comfortably maintain without the fear of burning out.  I'm really surprised I'm running this well this soon - I expected it to be a struggle for a while.  I'm making a push to incorporate some core exercising 2-3x per week - hoping this helps me get to the next level!

The past 3 months have some consistent running: Apr - 149, May - 151, June - on track for 235 (154 as of today)

The past 2 weeks have been especially good - almost like a breakthrough is happening.

M: 5 recovery @ 9:18/136
T: 10 MLR @ 8:30/152 - 151 SI kicked my ###
W: 6 easy @ 8:15/145
T: 9/5 LT @ 6:34/171 - damn that was fun
F: 5 recovery @ 9:16/131 - noticing HR is getting much more predictable
S: 6 easy @ 8:08/143
S: 13 MLR @ 8:17/146 - 151 really got me at the end
54mi for the week
M: 5 recovery @ 8:50/131 - sheesh that was great; weather is awesome 
T:  10 MLR @ 8:04/144
W: 8 MLR @ 8:06/141 - felt outstanding
T: 5 recovery @ 9:17/133 - sluggish
F: 8mi Progression @ 7:37/155
S: 5 recovery @ 8:54/129
S: 15 MLR @ 8:06/145 - felt so easy
M: 5 recovery @ 9:02/133 - really easy considering the 146 SI and hot sun
56mi for the week

We're heading to the beach house for our annual July 4th week and will be running the same 5K we've been running as a family for years now.  I'm going to take a big step back next week and try to do something I've never done before - truly taper for a 5K.  I think I can shave 10-15 sec off my PR (18:52) with some fresh legs and decent weather. 

I'm really surprised I'm running this well this soon - I expected it to be a struggle for a while. 
I'm shocked by how efficiently you are running already.  I don't know what other races you have scheduled, but if you are available you should run this quarter marathon with me.  The price is right and you could win a pie.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I'm shocked by how efficiently you are running already.  I don't know what other races you have scheduled, but if you are available you should run this quarter marathon with me.  The price is right and you could win a pie.
I am too.  It came out of nowhere!

I remember you bringing up the 1/4 marathon when we ran the Bridge 10K. 

Run The Day - Registration Receipt

You have successfully registered for:

Phils Tavern Quarter Marathon

On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at Temple University Ambler Campus, 7:30am.

2016 Minnesota Report for the Last 10 Days:

Thursday: Drove to Minnesota. Stopped at Trumble's in Albert Lea for a good breakfast/lunch. Good family restaurant we always stop at every year. 8 year old son threw a minnow off the dock and caught a 30" northern pike - about 7-8 pounds.

Friday: Woke up and took the whole family fishing. The goal for the day was to catch some fish for our fish fry. My 10 year old son usually gets bored by fishing, but he was on fire. Caught 4 bass (one of them was a 3 pound bass) and a 30" northern - his biggest fish ever. We threw back the northern and kept three of the bass for dinner. The smile on his face and his comments: "Looks like I'm in charge of feeding the family tonight."  :lol:  Just to show him up I caught a 21" bass (4 pounds). 

Saturday: Woke up and ran 5 miles. 10:13 Pace, HR was 157. Spent the rest of the day fishing for bass using floating frogs on lily pads. Then drank some beer and welcomed the rest of my extended family (brothers, niece, nephew, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc)

Sunday: Rained most of the day, so we caught up with everyone. Caught a few pike off the dock, drank some beer, and played our guitars. 

Monday: Fished most of the day so we could have enough fish for our traditional Tuesday fish fry. Drank some beer and sat around the bonfire just relaxing and seeing the stars. 

Tuesday: Fished most of the morning so try and secure a few more bass for the fish fry. Cooked fish for 27 people using my secret recipe. So freaking good. Drank some more beer and played washers before settling around the bonfire the rest of the night.

Wednesday: Did some more fishing, and started catching more pike. We were going for bigger fish at this point. Caught a 30" northern myself, so I at least was on par with my two sons. My daughter, as usual, did not care about the fishing. Drank some more beer and just hung out by the fire.

Thursday: Started feeling guilty about running, so took off on a 6 mile run. Pace was 9:47 with a HR of 157. Felt good to get out and stretch the legs after being a lazy turd all week. At noon we had our 2nd annual fishing tournament that is organized by my 8 year old son. Last year we got the idea to build lures for everyone and have a fishing tournament where the only lure you can use is the one we give you. Buy-in is $2, and the one who catches the biggest fish wins the pot. We made up a traveling trophy and everything. So this year, we made another lure, and now you can use either this years or last years. Had a great time, and my nephew won for the second straight year. Drank beer and talked stories around the fire til the wee hours.

Friday: Took my 8 year old for a final day of fishing, but after about an hour I noticed a huge, scary looking front moving in. We were on a lake where we were in a row boat, so I got some good core work done hoofing it back to the dock before the lightning and thunder moved in. Made it just in time, and spent the rest of the day reading a book about Leo Messi and fishing off the dock. Caught 6 northern and drank a few more beers. A bonfire ended the week.

Saturday: Spent 10 hours in the car driving home. Stepped out of car into 93 degree heat and huge humidity. Awesome after a week in the 70's.  :lol:

Sunday: Woke up and gutted out 7.4 Miles in a 154 suck index. HR was high as to be expected: 166, and a pace of 10:45. Survival run. Most of my runs this week will be the same: brutal heat and humidity this week. Gonna try and get up tomorrow morning and get on that cycle for awhile. 

Anyway, another great week. As usual, body and mind are pretty refreshed, and I actually maintained my weight (155) while gone. So I'm pleased about that. Could have run more I guess, but I love this week to give my family all that I can. They need it and so do I. 

Now, back on the saddle. 

Selfishly, the best part about my 6 six year old doing Couch to 5K this summer, it's perfect for cool down purposes.  I wasn't moving around too well after yesterday's 16, but after couch to 5k w/the whole family (I pushed the younger ones in the double jogging stroller, wife ran w/oldest) and an epsom salt bath I felt great again.

Seriously though, it's awesome seeing the progress he's made in just two weeks.  Went from complaining on the 3rd of 8 one minute run/walk intervals, struggling to complete 1.25 miles to wanting to do more after knocking out 2.25 miles yesterday.

49.6M for me last week. Had I been thinking about it I'd have tacked on another bit to the end of Saturday's 13 to get to 50 but oh well. Took yesterday off. I also went over 2,200 ft of elevation for the week, by far a PR. And I finally lost two toenails that I'd f'd up in the marathon, good to finally be rid of those eyesores. 

I'll have to back off the mileage this week, traveling with my boy to Philly for lax this weekend so Fri - Sun are tough. Will try to get something in there on Sat morning though. One and only other time I hit 50 I ended up hurt the following week, so a step back this week might not be a bad thing. Even with a day off my legs felt dead on this morning's easy 7. 

49.6M for me last week. Had I been thinking about it I'd have tacked on another bit to the end of Saturday's 13 to get to 50 but oh well. Took yesterday off. I also went over 2,200 ft of elevation for the week, by far a PR. And I finally lost two toenails that I'd f'd up in the marathon, good to finally be rid of those eyesores. 

I'll have to back off the mileage this week, traveling with my boy to Philly for lax this weekend so Fri - Sun are tough. Will try to get something in there on Sat morning though. One and only other time I hit 50 I ended up hurt the following week, so a step back this week might not be a bad thing. Even with a day off my legs felt dead on this morning's easy 7. 
That's some nice elevation work!  I think implementing more elevation in January and February really helped in taking the next step this year.  I got away from it a bit as I near the half in May, but I've made it a focus as I've increased miles the last 5 weeks.  A little salty about accidentally pausing my run 8 days ago because I'd have topped 1,500 feet that week but after netting 1,864' (in other words, a Thursday morning for @SFBayDuck) this week I'll get over it.

Awesome!

Think it's a good call you're doing a step-back week.  Pushing new weekly mileage PR on top of an elevation PR is going to leave your legs hurtin'!

Sounds like a perfect week, @ChiefD!  I grew up fishing fishing for salmon (commercial and sport), steelhead, rock fish, trout, etc in the ocean and coastal rivers of Oregon and a little in Alaska, but have only thrown a line in the water a handful of times in 20+ years of living in California.  I miss it, and hope to get some time in fishing while I'm in Colorado next month.

@MAC_32, that's awesome the family is doing that.  I'd love it if my daughter would do that with me, but no interest at all in running other than as part of the sports she plays - just like I was when I was a kid!

@Ned, crushing it already!  Bodes real well for that 5K and beyond this year.

@Nigel, nice week!  I probably would have gone out the door last night, turned on the GPS and walked down the block for .2 miles and turned around and come back.  I like seeing segments in your training with names including words like "ascending" and "climb".

@Sand, can't wait to get up and see those real mountains myself next month!  

@Osaurus, congrats on the 5K!

I finished up Week 2 of my 12 week block for CC100 with 39 miles, 7:46, 3,983' of gain and a 15 miler on Sunday.  I'm using pretty much the same ramp up and plan as I did for my recent 100K, but with three extra weeks I'm adding in some intensity over these initial 4-5 weeks (hill intervals primarily), shifting into race-specific training with some bigger weeks that will include a lot of climbing (7-10K) and some back-to-back long runs in July/early August. 

Awesome stuff (and challenge accepted!).  I can't wait to get up to Colorado next month and experience some real mountains for really only the 2nd time (one run in the Wasatch outside Salt Lake City a couple of years ago).

Between now and then I guess I'll just have to do my best to get some pics here around Marin and up at Western States next weekend!
What part of Colorado? I'll be there the last week of July near a town called Cimarron.

What part of Colorado? I'll be there the last week of July near a town called Cimarron.
I'll be in Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area for the Hardrock 100 the weekend of the 15th, and then I'm still trying to decide between Crested Butte, Leadville, or Durango (most likely) areas for a couple of days. So I'll be near where you are going to be, but unfortunately I'll be leaving the 20th or 21st to head back home. What are you doing up there?

I'll be in Silverton, Ouray, Telluride area for the Hardrock 100 the weekend of the 15th, and then I'm still trying to decide between Crested Butte, Leadville, or Durango (most likely) areas for a couple of days. So I'll be near where you are going to be, but unfortunately I'll be leaving the 20th or 21st to head back home. What are you doing up there?
My mom rents a cabin there for the summer. Going up for a week with the family for some hiking and fishing. Gonna do auite a bit of running while there to take advantage of hopefully cool weather.

Seriously though, it's awesome seeing the progress he's made in just two weeks.  Went from complaining on the 3rd of 8 one minute run/walk intervals, struggling to complete 1.25 miles to wanting to do more after knocking out 2.25 miles yesterday.
Kids are ridiculous when it comes to this stuff.

HOT HOT HOT here in Southern Arizona. Hitting 118

I did my morning run today at 4:30 and it was 84 out. That is 84 before sunrise :tumbleweed:
Oof.

Funny, I was thinking about Arizona yesterday while I was running through the hot soup bath. I was thinking: would I rather run through this or the straight heat of Arizona.   :lol:

Oof.

Funny, I was thinking about Arizona yesterday while I was running through the hot soup bath. I was thinking: would I rather run through this or the straight heat of Arizona.   :lol:
:goodposting:

I did not enjoy yesterday's workout, but I am happy I read about the Arizona heat wave before I headed out.  I felt like checking out a mile, 50 lunges, and 50 push up's short but after reminding myself how much worse this is elsewhere I forced myself through 10 more minutes of The Suck.

HOT HOT HOT here in Southern Arizona. Hitting 118

I did my morning run today at 4:30 and it was 84 out. That is 84 before sunrise :tumbleweed:
Oof.

Dry heat sucks, but I firmly believe that humidity is the great equalizer.

Exactly what I was going to say... I don't get it.  She crossed a mother and her cub.  What else do they think is going to happen?

Was she the very last runner on the course?  How did nobody else see it??
Yeah, putting the bear down for protecting its cub seems a bit much.

Isn't it because they don't want a bear to learn that attacking humans works out OK? (Thus, an increased chance for future attacks.)

Dry heat sucks, but I firmly believe that humidity is the great equalizer.
It's almost certainly because I've adapted over time, but I'll take 85-90 in the soup over a dry 100+.  Obviously neither are comfortable, but I can't breathe in the hot & dry.

Isn't it because they don't want a bear to learn that attacking humans works out OK? (Thus, an increased chance for future attacks.)
That's probably it. Hopefully the lady got a nice bear skin rug or something out of the deal so it wasn't a complete waste. 

i just watched "The Revenant", and I was totally picturing that scene while reading the story.  Terrifying. 

There was a bear on the Western States course just a couple of miles from the finish a few years ago, Kami Semick tells the story of the encounter (and the sprint finish shortly afterward) on her blog.  Luckily it didn't attack the runners/pacers that came upon it and finally scooted off the trail (the male runner that came up on them in the story is a friend of mine!).  But I sure thought about that while running in the dark on the trail during Canyons last month.  

i just watched "The Revenant", and I was totally picturing that scene while reading the story.  Terrifying. 

There was a bear on the Western States course just a couple of miles from the finish a few years ago, Kami Semick tells the story of the encounter (and the sprint finish shortly afterward) on her blog.  Luckily it didn't attack the runners/pacers that came upon it and finally scooted off the trail (the male runner that came up on them in the story is a friend of mine!).  But I sure thought about that while running in the dark on the trail during Canyons last month.  
Wow. Great story. 

Did a workout on the Harvard Stadium stairs with a community fitness group called November Project. They started in Boston but they have groups in a lot of cities around the country now, some of you might have heard of them. A girl who works for me has been going to their workouts for the past year and has been trying to get a few of us from work to show up, finally did. It was a blast. Very hard to explain, almost cult-ish, everyone so damn upbeat and touchy-feely.None of that describes me at all.Lots of hugging (required), I'm not a hugger. Such an interesting mix of people though, all sizes shapes and ages, decent percentage being very attractive 20-30 y/o females. Here's a video of the workout:

https://vimeo.com/104924006

Starts at 6:30 goes for an hour. Today I had to do some sign-up stuff (no cost) and missed the start but ended up doing 19 sections, half the stadium, in 21 minutes. Ran out of time but I was ready to stop. Format is generally do as many as you can in 40 min. There's 31 18" steps to a row, 30 inches deep. Each section is almost 50 ft. of elevation. Very hard to actually run them, ends up more luck a power-hike for most. Much harder than I thought it would be - my legs are toast right now.

Kind of goofy/cool at the same time. Don't think I'll go every week as I think it will affect at least the next day of running. I'll go every few weeks though, and make sure I maneuver into groups of people I'd enjoy hugging.

Did a workout on the Harvard Stadium stairs with a community fitness group called November Project. They started in Boston but they have groups in a lot of cities around the country now, some of you might have heard of them. A girl who works for me has been going to their workouts for the past year and has been trying to get a few of us from work to show up, finally did. It was a blast. Very hard to explain, almost cult-ish, everyone so damn upbeat and touchy-feely.None of that describes me at all.Lots of hugging (required), I'm not a hugger. Such an interesting mix of people though, all sizes shapes and ages, decent percentage being very attractive 20-30 y/o females. Here's a video of the workout:

https://vimeo.com/104924006

Starts at 6:30 goes for an hour. Today I had to do some sign-up stuff (no cost) and missed the start but ended up doing 19 sections, half the stadium, in 21 minutes. Ran out of time but I was ready to stop. Format is generally do as many as you can in 40 min. There's 31 18" steps to a row, 30 inches deep. Each section is almost 50 ft. of elevation. Very hard to actually run them, ends up more luck a power-hike for most. Much harder than I thought it would be - my legs are toast right now.

Kind of goofy/cool at the same time. Don't think I'll go every week as I think it will affect at least the next day of running. I'll go every few weeks though, and make sure I maneuver into groups of people I'd enjoy hugging.
:lol:  at the bolded.  Yeah, this totally wouldn't be me either.  That beginning is weird.

Anyone ever run the Crim in Flint, Michigan? I got talked into signing up and when  I talk about it with others I get one of two responses:

- "That run is great. Lots of participants and huge support crowds."

- "You're running in Flint!?! You're going to get shot!"

Also, TMI but my poo schedule got messed up in the last couple weeks and now I have to head straight to the john when I get home from a run. Hasn't forced me to cut a run short yet or, thank God, driven me to find a porta-john, but it's an annoying new factor.

The day you come in here with a good poop story is the day you will realize that you are now a true runner.  Once you've added a wildlife story then you're a lifer.

Users who are viewing this thread