What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

I expect that AJ aka, isn't that Luke, will get the majority of snaps. Maybe Mayo gets in but I don't see wholesale.playing time for all the youngsters yet. 

On the concussion thing. I would rather lose every remaining game than rush anyone back. Be it Oher, Luke or some 3rd stringer. It's too serious and too possibly devastating long term to put the game first. Just isn't worth it.
Well, Oher is on IR and Luke made the trip to the west coast. It seems like Luke's wasn't quite as serious as we thought it may have been, which is good. Oher on the other hand, man that must have been real bad or he's had more in the past than he knew about. Will be interesting to see if he comes back next year.

Well, Oher is on IR and Luke made the trip to the west coast. It seems like Luke's wasn't quite as serious as we thought it may have been, which is good. Oher on the other hand, man that must have been real bad or he's had more in the past than he knew about. Will be interesting to see if he comes back next year.
Luke made the trip to the west coast?  hmm.  Can't imagine he'd dress in Oakland.  Maybe he's there to help coach up the defense and for moral support.  

Luke made the trip to the west coast?  hmm.  Can't imagine he'd dress in Oakland.  Maybe he's there to help coach up the defense and for moral support.  
Luke and Kalil have already been declared out for Sunday, but they went along in hopes of playing against Seattle next (the Panthers are staying out West after the Raiders game), and to help coach up other players during game(s).

Well we lost but you know again this team showed resilience. Do we even have an O-line any more? To come back despite all the injuries and everything showed heart. Some good plays out there. TD was everywhere for example.

So I'm disappointed in our season but I am proud of this teams fight.

Well we lost but you know again this team showed resilience. Do we even have an O-line any more? To come back despite all the injuries and everything showed heart. Some good plays out there. TD was everywhere for example.

So I'm disappointed in our season but I am proud of this teams fight.
Outside of that 4th and 10, the OL played very well. Mack was only really a monster on two plays, one where Cam threw him the screen pass and when we decided to try and get 30 yards on 4th and 10 and took so much time he was in the play. When they showed the replay of the strip, you can see multiple WRs streaking with their backs to Cam. Those fly routes are Shula's bread and butter when we just need a ### #### first down.

We find new and interesting ways to lose games. Tonight it was a missed kick costing us 3 points (a la Denver), not going for it on 4th and 1 thus giving Oakland a chance to win it (a la Tampa) and a pick 6 (a la KC). We decided for the trifecta of how to lose today. I don't know why we had to run some sort of double fake screen pass. Why not give Newton the ability to see where Mack is and avoid him. Instead he has to almost blindly throw it and we get another pick 6? The last thing we could afford was a turnover. After the pick 6, we ran the clock out.

We need some coaching changes, but I doubt it will happen. The team still has a ton of talent, which is why KC, Denver and Oakland are in the top 5 teams and we should have won all 3 including 2 on the road. It just sucks to know how good we could be and watch as injuries and luck have exposed what I think is our main weakness, coaching. The best coaches deal with injuries and bad losses (remember NE bouncing back that one year after getting thrashed by KC or Houston), but this season has shined a spot light on our clock management, play calling, lack of discipline with terrible penalties and the horror that is our special teams.

I was glad to see the fight, just disappointed with the result knowing we could have beaten them in their house.

OK, on to next year. We are 3 games out of the division in 4th place with 5 left and we are 8th in the wild card race for 2 spots. We are 4 behind the Giants with 5 left and 2.5 behind Washington with a bevy of teams between us, including Minnesota who effectively has a 3 game lead on us. Heck, with all the inter-play, we may be just about technically eliminated.

I just hope we don't win out, get to 9-7 and get a mediocre pick, knowing that 9-7 has virtually no shot at the playoffs. I'm thinking 2-3 or 3-2, so 6-10/7-9. I'd bet the 8th or 9th pick. I don't know if that will be a good spot or not. There are a bunch of CBs in the 1st round now in many 2017 mocks, but maybe Malik Hooker (S) or Dalvin Cook (might be too high for him). I wouldn't mind Mike McGlinchey if he declares. I think he will because he would instantly be the top OT in a weak class and make himself a high pick. He'd have to perform well in the combine/visits, but I'd love to solve our LT problem. Oher has been serviceable, but he's missed so many games due to the concussion so who knows and he isn't Jordan Gross. We need a Kalil replacement as well, but I recall him hurting his shoulder in a training camp against TD, so I think he hasn't really been right all year. I remember after the tussled a bit and Kalil was pissed. I think I still have the picture of TD going over to him, but I was really worried it was bad because of how Kalil looked. I think if he gets healthy in the off-season, he, Turner, Norwell, a new LT and Williams could form a very, very good OL.

Our O-line can't block anybody.  But I did like the fight this team showed in the second half.  We need help in the draft on that line.  

Coach.. coach.. Ron.. what are you doing?  Said it before but it is maddening when a coach thinks he has to go for two early in the third quarter (or first half, etc.).  I knew it would come back to haunt Rivera.  Get your points when you can.  If he had just kicked the XP on those two scores, Oakland's FG would have just tied the game at the end.  Happens in NCAA all the time too.  

And how many times has Cam been stopped from getting a first down on 4th and 1 or less?  At mid field, should have ran a QB sneak.  When they punted with 4 minutes left, I didn't think we'd get the ball back.  At 3-6, what's to lose there?  Come on, coach. 

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, on to next year.

I just hope we don't win out, get to 9-7 and get a mediocre pick, knowing that 9-7 has virtually no shot at the playoffs. I'm thinking 2-3 or 3-2, so 6-10/7-9. I'd bet the 8th or 9th pick. I don't know if that will be a good spot or not. 
First, I hope we find a new OC.  Sick of Shula's fetish of throwing bombs when our line can't protect Cam for more than 2 seconds.  And the misdirection doesn't work anymore.  It's almost as if teams know what we're going to run.  

A top 10 in each round would be great, imo.  OT has to be a top target, unless they can find a FA gem.  DE, Safety and RB in this draft, I'm hoping.  And a center.  I think Oher may retire.  I wish we could find that Jackie Slater or Anthony Munoz in the draft!  

And how many times has Cam been stopped from getting a first down on 4th and 1 or less?  At mid field, should have ran a QB sneak.  When they punted with 4 minutes left, I didn't think we'd get the ball back.  At 3-6, what's to lose there?  Come on, coach. 
This was a terrible decision 

It has always bugged me how often the defense ends up with Luke in coverage against the other WRs.  Most of the time it works because he's Luke, but it has burned them in the past.  How on earth is Klein matched up against Crabtree on the pivotal drive at the end of the game?  Coaches are failing to put Carolina in a position to win.

It has always bugged me how often the defense ends up with Luke in coverage against the other WRs.  Most of the time it works because he's Luke, but it has burned them in the past.  How on earth is Klein matched up against Crabtree on the pivotal drive at the end of the game?  Coaches are failing to put Carolina in a position to win.
Exactly.  My immediate reaction was "why on earth is Klein covering Crabtree 30 yards down the field?!?  On replay you can see Boston back there in la la land covering no one.  Seems easy.. let the CB stay one on one on one sideline and let's try and help the linebacker who is covering a WR!  

Luke often does well on those plays, but yes, it has burned them in the past.  I recall Julio Jones in ATL either last year or the year before.  No way should we expect Luke to cover that guy that far down the field.. let alone AJ Klein.  

Exactly.  My immediate reaction was "why on earth is Klein covering Crabtree 30 yards down the field?!?  On replay you can see Boston back there in la la land covering no one.  Seems easy.. let the CB stay one on one on one sideline and let's try and help the linebacker who is covering a WR!  

Luke often does well on those plays, but yes, it has burned them in the past.  I recall Julio Jones in ATL either last year or the year before.  No way should we expect Luke to cover that guy that far down the field.. let alone AJ Klein.  
That was a big one in my mind when posting that.

Dude what?

The oline was horrendous all day.  No push and both tackles were like turnstiles. 

It crazy that we havent drafted any true tackles lately and now the chickens are coming home to roost
We had a guard playing RT. We had an RT playing LT. We had a rookie that was just promoted from the practice squad at center. In fact we only had one starter in his normal position. I think they did pretty well given all that.

speaking of Luke I truly hope they shut him down for the season now.  No point in getting him out there
I disagree. If he is out no problem. Keep him on the protocol until he's right. But if he is right this team can still finish with a winning record and that should be their goal. Not getting a draft pick that may or.may not have an impact. Plenty of high first round busts in this league.

We had a guard playing RT. We had an RT playing LT. We had a rookie that was just promoted from the practice squad at center. In fact we only had one starter in his normal position. I think they did pretty well given all that.
Yeah, that was my point. 4th guy at C, Scott playing RG, Turner at RT, Remmers at LT and Norwell the only of the original starting 5 in his normal spot. That is a complete make shift line and we got 25 points in the second half and rushed for 129 yards at 5.2 ypc. The Raiders had 1 sack (we held it too long and Irvin got Cam - announcers even said he held it too long) before the last play of the game for us on 4th and 10. Mack had 0 sacks until our 4th and 10, which again was a deep drop when Cam got hit while his WRs we could 

That, IMHO, is way more than I would have expected out of not having Kalil and Oher and then losing Williams and Gradkowski in the first half.

I disagree. If he is out no problem. Keep him on the protocol until he's right. But if he is right this team can still finish with a winning record and that should be their goal. Not getting a draft pick that may or.may not have an impact. Plenty of high first round busts in this league.
I don't agree with IRing people who are healthy and I am pretty damn sure Luke will play when he can. That said, I am torn on the winning record and draft slot. I need to go take a quick look. I would just hate to go 9-7 and get the 20th pick instead of going 6-10 and getting the 8th pick. The talent difference could be game changing. Yes, could bust, but guys like Joey Bosa aren't available at 20. Maybe the #3 guy busts, but a guy like Myles Garrett just won't be there that late.

OK, looking quick, these are the guys who I think could make a significant impact for us that will likely be top 20 picks:

S - Malik Hooker, Jabril Peppers, Jamal Adams - Peppers and Hooker are the best and I'd be happy with both.

CB - There are a bunch in this group, may be the deepest group in terms of 1st round grades. Might be nice if we have a decent 2nd rounder as some good CBs may be there early 2nd. Anyway, these guys are all over the place, but Tabor, Wilson, Lattimore, Jackson and Humphrey seem to always be in the top. I wouldn't be real happy with a CB, much rather have S help. I think Bradberry, Worley and Johnson could be solid, so I'd rather have lower round depth.

DE - Garrett of course and Barnett. I don't know enough about Johnathan Allen, seems to be more of a DT, but he's sometimes listed at DE.

LB/DT - Nothing here would make me happy at all.

QB - Again, nothing.

G/C - Don't need, depth would be fine, but these positions have talent later in the draft.

OT - I've read lots of things about Robinson and McGlinchey appears to be the top guy, although he has said he won't come out. I think that is a smoke screen since the season is still in hand, but he'd be crazy to stay if he's almost guaranteed to be the #1 T taken. I'd be happy with either if we are in the middle of the round, McGlinchey somewhat earlier.

RB - Fournette and Cook are the only top 15-20 guys. Some people don't like Fournette, but if he drops, he's fine by me.

WR - Mike Williams is the only guy I'd be happy with getting, but I'm not sold on needing him.TE - Not in top 15-20, but there seems to be a lot of potential there.

So, really just around 11 guys I'd be happy with and most drafts always have 2 DTs (McDowell and Allen), 2 QBs and 5 CBs. I'm happy only with the top 2 CBs (whoever they are). Seems like as long as we are in the top 15 and McGlinchey declares, we will have plenty of choices. Might not have the guys we covet, but definitely an impact guy. Considering that there are likely to be Garrett at #1, 1-2 QBs, 1-2 DTs and 2-3 CBs, if we have a top 10 pick we should be able to get Hooker, Peppers, Barnett or McGlinchey. At worst, Fournette/Cook. Outside of the top 10, it gets a bit dicier.

Signed former Pats center Ryan Wendell. He has been recovering from a knee injury. Prior to that he started a bunch of games over the years for them. He is 30.

OK, Andy's got a mock going. We are the next pick. Who you got? Fournette, Cook, McGlinchey OT (assume he declares), Hooker at S (assume he declares), Barnett at DE or the top CB (there are 4 or 5 of them in the end of the top 10 to top 20). I'm torn. I think McGlinchey is who I'd want if he declares and we deem him to be a potential Jordan Gross. Simple as that. We can get good RBs later or keep Stewart for a year and grab one next year. If we don't like McGlinchey or he doesn't declate, I'm torn. If we can get a stud S, I'd rather roll with the young CBs we have and improve the secondary with a stud SS. Taking another CB this early doesn't make much sense to me since this is a deep CB class, so we could grab another later or at the top of the 2nd who in other years would be a 1st rounder. Either way, I think our secondary gets better with a stud safety and an early 2nd DE.

11/30 Mock

1. Cleveland - Myles Garrett, DE Texas A&M

2. San Fran - Mitch Trubisky, QB North Carolina

3. Chicago -  Deshone Kizer, QB Notre Dame

4. Jacksonville - Jonathan Allen, DE Alabama

5. NY Jets - Deshaun Watson,  QB Clemson

6. Cincinnati - Jabrill Peppers, SAK Michigan

7. Tennessee - Jamal Adams,  Safety LSU

Isn't McGlinchey a right tackle?  Give me Cam Robinson from Alabama...he needs to improve in pass protection, but there's no reason he can't do that.

The Commish said:
Isn't McGlinchey a right tackle?  Give me Cam Robinson from Alabama...he needs to improve in pass protection, but there's no reason he can't do that.
No, left. He played right last year when Ronnie Stanley was there and is now the left tackle this year. Honestly, I haven't watched much of either, but from what I read, he seems to be rated higher than Cam anywhere he's assumed to be leaving. He's a redshirt junior, so this is his fourth year. He's said he's not coming out, but I don't know why he wouldn't in a weak class whose only 1st rounder without him might be Robinson. Risking millions seems pretty dumb to me when he'd be a lock for top 15. 

If there is a true first tier left tackle that has to be the choice. I mean someone who plays day one.
I agree. I hope those two continue to improve and really impress in workouts because T is not a deep position at the draft, but I think the top 2 have a lot of potential, so it would be nice to get lucky. The other positions S, RB, CB and DE that you here thrown out for us have some depth and I'd rather get one of the top 2 tackles and then get the other spots later.

Hooker says he's staying in school FWIW.  Personally, I think that's the correct choice.  He's not ready for the NFL IMO.  Yes, there is something to be said for being in the right place at the right time, but I'm not sure he's been in the right place because that's where HE knew he should be (if that makes sense).  When he's there, he usually makes the play.  Not sure what it is, just not sold on him.

Yeah I agree it should be someone who can play on day one.  Left tackle would be a great start if he's there at our pick.  

I think McGlinchey will declare and be our guy. I'm glad the top of the draft is really solid, because I love reading this write up from today. I especially like hearing the last line. That was a guy who went #6 overall last year. I think Cam Robinson may be solid as well. I've heard good things about his play improving each game. I want a stud LT. Also, of note, McGlinchey is a red shirt junior, not a red-shirt sophomore, so if he goes back it would be his 5th year. I have no idea why a guy who could be the top tackle and top 10 pick would ever go back for his 5th year. Crazy to risk injury and crazy to not want to get to the 2nd contract quicker. Red-shirt sophomore who has only played 2 years, sure. I hope he declares so we have two top tackles to chose from instead of one.

Carolina Panthers: Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame  
The Panthers made a huge mistake not upgrading their offensive tackles last offseason. Next offseason, Carolina has to get at least one tackle upgrade to protect Cam Newton. 

Recently, McGlinchey has suggested he could return for his senior year. On the other hand, Will Fuller said the same thing last year and Stephon Tuitt said something similar before he entered the draft early. Thus, I'm not moving McGlinchey to my 2018 Mock NFL Draft just yet. 

McGlinchey was very impressive at left tackle for the Fighting Irish in 2016. He looked natural in pass protection, and one wouldn't have thought that he wasn't playing the position before 2016. 

McGlinchey has excellent feet to get depth in his kick slide and cut off speed rushers. As a run blocker, McGlinchey can get movement at the point of attack. He flashes heavy hands to push defenders out of their gaps and open holes for his back. McGlinchey also has a nice ability to bend at the knee, and that in combination with his feet, keeps him from having to reach after edge rushers. His performance in 2016 protecting DeShone Kizer is evidence that McGlinchey is a future starting left tackle in the NFL and a first-round pick. 

McGlinchey (6-7, 310) is a tough run blocker and has been part of a good Notre Dame line for years. In 2015, he showed well as a right tackle and had a more physical style of play than former Notre Dame left tackle Ronnie Stanley.

Well, if the Jets win tonight we might be in the 6th spot. 

What a #### show last night. Benching Cam and throwing a roll out (never do that for Cam) to goo (he's so bad now) for an INT. Embarrassing your MVP last year like he was Jamarcus Russell for a dress code violation. 

I hope Rivera and Shula are gone now. They lost the team last night. Seeing Kuechly pissed makes me think he knows more about what we should be doing than our coaches.

Get some new talent resign some guys on the cheap and make a FA splash since we don't have to spend a ton on Short and Ealy like it seemed after last year. Also, get some ### ####ed good coaches who know how to use the talent we have that now looks like crap. 

Time to shut it down, boys.  Put Luke on IR to keep him from getting #3.  I wouldn't mind them saving some wear and tear on Davis and Olsen.

Well, if the Jets win tonight we might be in the 6th spot. 

What a #### show last night. Benching Cam and throwing a roll out (never do that for Cam) to goo (he's so bad now) for an INT. Embarrassing your MVP last year like he was Jamarcus Russell for a dress code violation. 

I hope Rivera and Shula are gone now. They lost the team last night. Seeing Kuechly pissed makes me think he knows more about what we should be doing than our coaches.

Get some new talent resign some guys on the cheap and make a FA splash since we don't have to spend a ton on Short and Ealy like it seemed after last year. Also, get some ### ####ed good coaches who know how to use the talent we have that now looks like crap. 
I don't think Rivera is going anywhere but man oh man, please fire Shula!  We need an up and coming OC.  

Get rid of Tolbert, Ginn and Brown.  Let Stewart walk.  

We've been talking about drafting tackles and while that is a great idea, I wouldn't mind spending FA money saved on the best OT on the market.  Then draft one or two, but not necessarily in the first round.  I still think best player available who can impact on day one in the first round.  To me, right now, that's Cook, unless we stink it up enough to draft high enough for Garrett or J. Allen.  That said, there is still a lot of time to evaluate.  I just think Cook will have an immediate impact anywhere he goes.  

Is Ealy even on the field any more?  I thought he was on IR or something.  Haven't seen him anywhere.  Johnson is gone

I was afraid we would be embarrassed last night. Best MLB in the game on the sidelines. Our best safety out. The guy who has been our beat pass rusher out. Our O-line in a shambles.

But I didn't expect the team to add to it by benching our starting QB over a ####### tie. Really? I follow this team pretty closely and I can't remember anything like that ever happening before. Has Ron heard of fines? Or did he really think it was a good idea to humiliate his QB in front of a national audience? Then of course they call a play they wouldn't have run with Cam and it starts the avalanche. That was a piss poor decision on Rivera's part and I hope someone in management is making that crystal clear this morning.

With all that said Rivera is a two time Coach of the Year. He shouldn't be fired or anything but he damn well better know better going forward. There will be changes this off season. KK gambled on himself and lost. Ealy is a failed experiment. Johnson has really played well but we won't pay a ton to keep him. We need a real left tackle. 

Lastly I am starting to lose confidence in Cam. I keep coming back to a statement the radio guys made. I guess we just have to get used to Cam making bad throws. Really? Does anyone think if Brady had a footwork issue he wouldn't correct it? Would he shoot a Nickelodeon show instead? No he wouldn't because he not only wants to be great he wants it more than anything else. Like Jordan. Just not sure Cam has that same want to. He says he does but every throw to high, every throw behind or too low or whatever way he finds to not hit a receiver says different. 

Not a happy fan this morning.

I don't think Rivera is going anywhere but man oh man, please fire Shula!  We need an up and coming OC.  

Get rid of Tolbert, Ginn and Brown.  Let Stewart walk.  

We've been talking about drafting tackles and while that is a great idea, I wouldn't mind spending FA money saved on the best OT on the market.  Then draft one or two, but not necessarily in the first round.  I still think best player available who can impact on day one in the first round.  To me, right now, that's Cook, unless we stink it up enough to draft high enough for Garrett or J. Allen.  That said, there is still a lot of time to evaluate.  I just think Cook will have an immediate impact anywhere he goes.  

Is Ealy even on the field any more?  I thought he was on IR or something.  Haven't seen him anywhere.  Johnson is gone
I don't want Cook around pick 5. Too many other studs where we could also pick up a solid RB in the 2nd or early 3rd.

Ealy was OK last night, had a sack and had a good grade.

Honestly, I am not sure Rivera will work anymore. The team looked lost last night and he just effed it up to start. Shula just sucks so bad, amazing to think we had the #1 scoring offense last year. All talent and turnover margin for easier scores. Just sad to watch last night. Let's roll out DA on his one and only play, but then let's run read option after read option with Cam when it never works. Unblocked DEs/LBers in the NFL against solid Ds that know you run that isn't working in 2016. I remember Ware at the SB saying we ran the exact plays they were ready for us to run and we did nothing new. Shula's offense doesn't work anymore unless Cam makes a perfect throw to one of the fastest guys in the NFL or to a guy who can body out a CB because he's huge. If we don't have that, it's almost always a 3 and out and we have no ability to do anything new.

I was afraid we would be embarrassed last night. Best MLB in the game on the sidelines. Our best safety out. The guy who has been our beat pass rusher out. Our O-line in a shambles.

But I didn't expect the team to add to it by benching our starting QB over a ####### tie. Really? I follow this team pretty closely and I can't remember anything like that ever happening before. Has Ron heard of fines? Or did he really think it was a good idea to humiliate his QB in front of a national audience? Then of course they call a play they wouldn't have run with Cam and it starts the avalanche. That was a piss poor decision on Rivera's part and I hope someone in management is making that crystal clear this morning.

With all that said Rivera is a two time Coach of the Year. He shouldn't be fired or anything but he damn well better know better going forward. There will be changes this off season. KK gambled on himself and lost. Ealy is a failed experiment. Johnson has really played well but we won't pay a ton to keep him. We need a real left tackle. 

Lastly I am starting to lose confidence in Cam. I keep coming back to a statement the radio guys made. I guess we just have to get used to Cam making bad throws. Really? Does anyone think if Brady had a footwork issue he wouldn't correct it? Would he shoot a Nickelodeon show instead? No he wouldn't because he not only wants to be great he wants it more than anything else. Like Jordan. Just not sure Cam has that same want to. He says he does but every throw to high, every throw behind or too low or whatever way he finds to not hit a receiver says different. 

Last night was the worst. At least in the other losses, even to some of the best in the league (Denver, KC and Oakland), you felt like we were good enough to win. Frustrating to lose, but not disappointing to watch and not feeling like the coaches were losing the team.

Also, I understand on Cam, but honestly, I don't feel good enough about the coaches to feel like the issue is just Cam. I don't trust that our coaching team is doing what they need to do to make Cam better. They continue to run read options, they continue to just take deep drops and let it fly. Have we every even practices the short and intermediate routes, or god forbid try roll outs with a mobile QB when we know we have OL issues? I don't have any faith in the coaches anymore. I think 2015 was pure talent and being injury free.

Cam's development is frustrating.  And I agree on Brady's work ethic.  Cam still throws the ball off his heels and everyone wonders why it sails on him.  He's been in the league too long to still have those types of mechanical issues.  

I don't want Cook around pick 5. Too many other studs where we could also pick up a solid RB in the 2nd or early 3rd.

Ealy was OK last night, had a sack and had a good grade.

Honestly, I am not sure Rivera will work anymore. The team looked lost last night and he just effed it up to start. Shula just sucks so bad, amazing to think we had the #1 scoring offense last year. All talent and turnover margin for easier scores. Just sad to watch last night. Let's roll out DA on his one and only play, but then let's run read option after read option with Cam when it never works. Unblocked DEs/LBers in the NFL against solid Ds that know you run that isn't working in 2016. I remember Ware at the SB saying we ran the exact plays they were ready for us to run and we did nothing new. Shula's offense doesn't work anymore unless Cam makes a perfect throw to one of the fastest guys in the NFL or to a guy who can body out a CB because he's huge. If we don't have that, it's almost always a 3 and out and we have no ability to do anything new.
The zone read has joined the wildcat as the worst plays an NFL offense can run.  No one is fooled and everyone knows where the ball is going.  

I doubt we get top 5 (but who knows at the rate?) but if we were #6 or #7, who would you target?  Assuming Garrett and Allen are gone.  CB, OT, DT, S?  What if we sign a top OT in FA?  Would you still want to draft McGlinchey that high in the 1st?  Why not someone like McDermott or R. Johnson in the 2nd?  And a play maker in the 1st?  

Cam's development is frustrating.  And I agree on Brady's work ethic.  Cam still throws the ball off his heels and everyone wonders why it sails on him.  He's been in the league too long to still have those types of mechanical issues.  
He needs someone to help him with his mechanics. Jim Bob Cooter has helped Matthew Stafford with his, and he has greatly improved.

Last night was the worst. At least in the other losses, even to some of the best in the league (Denver, KC and Oakland), you felt like we were good enough to win. Frustrating to lose, but not disappointing to watch and not feeling like the coaches were losing the team.

Also, I understand on Cam, but honestly, I don't feel good enough about the coaches to feel like the issue is just Cam. I don't trust that our coaching team is doing what they need to do to make Cam better. They continue to run read options, they continue to just take deep drops and let it fly. Have we every even practices the short and intermediate routes, or god forbid try roll outs with a mobile QB when we know we have OL issues? I don't have any faith in the coaches anymore. I think 2015 was pure talent and being injury free.
Cam still has all the bad habits he had when he entered the league. When Jordan came into the NBA he had a suspect jump shot. He worked on it constantly and he fixed it. Brady goes over tape endlessly to find any little mechanic that isn't right and then he fixes it. That is the player not the coach. That is striving to be the GOAT. I just don't see Cam doing that.

He needs someone to help him with his mechanics. Jim Bob Cooter has helped Matthew Stafford with his, and he has greatly improved.
Should.they come.to him or should he put in the effort to seek out that help? To make his off season about fixing things or shooting TV shows? And how many seasons is he planning on waiting around before he does something?

I like Cam. I like what he does in the community. I like the kind of person he is to fans. I don't like that he still seems to think he can get by just because he's Cam and he always has.

What makes it even more frustrating is to watch him get his mechanics right and make a beautiful pass. Lay it right in a guys hands 50 yards down field and lead him away from defenders so he can score. He can do it. He has the ability. But he doesn't do it consistently bevause he doesn't work on it enough for it to be second nature.

What makes it even more frustrating is to watch him get his mechanics right and make a beautiful pass. Lay it right in a guys hands 50 yards down field and lead him away from defenders so he can score. He can do it. He has the ability. But he doesn't do it consistently bevause he doesn't work on it enough for it to be second nature.
I agree part of this is on Cam.  I also agree another part of it is on Shula and Dorsey as his coaches. 

As referenced earlier, JBC worked wonders for Stafford... with mechanics, yes, but also with play calling that worked to his offensive personnel's strength and his QB's strengths.  I'm not sure what the #### Shula is calling anymore, but it surely isn't to the personnel's strengths.

I agree part of this is on Cam.  I also agree another part of it is on Shula and Dorsey as his coaches. 

As referenced earlier, JBC worked wonders for Stafford... with mechanics, yes, but also with play calling that worked to his offensive personnel's strength and his QB's strengths.  I'm not sure what the #### Shula is calling anymore, but it surely isn't to the personnel's strengths.
When Shula said they don't really have quick pass plays to Benjamin in the play book you have to wonder. I mean really you are an NFL team and you don't have quick slants in the playbook for your number one receiver? Then you need a new playbook and perhaps a new O coordinator.

I doubt we get top 5 (but who knows at the rate?) but if we were #6 or #7, who would you target?  Assuming Garrett and Allen are gone.  CB, OT, DT, S?  What if we sign a top OT in FA?  Would you still want to draft McGlinchey that high in the 1st?  Why not someone like McDermott or R. Johnson in the 2nd?  And a play maker in the 1st?  
They need an IMPACT PLAYER.  Period.  To me, with this roster, that's not Cook or Fournette, and I'll be pissed if they spend a top-10 pick on a position with 5-7 or more impact players in this draft. 

McGlinchey is the guy that jumps out to me -- impact OT that solves a major team need.  He very likely starts Day 1 at LT.  If Oher manages to beat him out, then he's an impact RT right away, while also immediately improving the depth by having Remmers and Williams in reserve.

If McGlinchey stays, I think they have to consider the other OTs (the Alabama guy has a ton of potential, and I've seen the Wisconsin OT also mentioned as a solid first rounder).  Maybe it's early for them, but GMan has also made the comment before that you don't often find yourself in the position to draft a franchise OT.  They're very likely going to be in that position now.

If it's not an OT, I'd like to see Barnett personally.  The guy has been uber-productive in a tough SEC conference where opposing teams gameplan to stop him, and he keeps being disruptive in nearly every game.  Garrett is the prize pass rusher, but Barnett is no slouch himself.

Outside of those two (OT/Barnett), I think I'd look at the safety class.  Adams would be the prize, but there are other impact safeties too.  Even a tweener type (think Deone Buchanon from the Cardinals) wouldn't be a bad thing for Carolina... a guy that can play in the box or drop into coverage and erase the bigger TE/slot receivers that are en vogue in today's NFL. 

Just get an impact player.  GMan's drafts haven't been too bad... I'm not that worried about him getting it right.

Users who are viewing this thread