What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 FBG Post Season Contest (1 Viewer)

FWIW...tip for next year. Load up on QBs as your smattering of other guys to get you by. Hass, Flaco, Sanchez didn't cost much and garnered a bunch of sure points.
Yeah, I figured that out after I got bumped and went back and looked at where I "wasted money", but thanks.Had I done that, it would have almost certainly been enough to push me past the week I didn't make the cut, since I only missed it by a few points. Since I'm a masochist, I checked my entry. I'd have had 12 players going in the SB, including both QBs and most of the significant RBs from both teams. :thumbup: Had I approached this how you're advising and swapped out a couple players for "lower end" early round QBs I'd still have 11. Buuurn. Live and learn. Hopefully I can guess the proper SB teams again next year. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing with the "possibly buggy querier":Of 1000 remaining teams:

Rodgers + Starks + Jennings = 62 teams

Rodgers + Starks + Jennings + Packers D = 19 teams

Rodgers + Starks + Jennings + Packers D + Quarless = 4 teams (this is my Packer combination, but one of the four is heavy on Steelers and will crush me no matter what - entry 100950)

Roth + Mendenhall = 136 teams

Roth + Mendenhall + Wallace = 42 teams

Roth + Mendenhall + Wallace + Ward = 4 teams

Rodgers + Starks + Jennings + Roth + Mendenhall = 12 teams

Can anyone beat this team? http://subscribers.footballguys.com/playof...2010/100950.php

Ben Roethlisberger $28 0.00 24.40 12.75

Rashard Mendenhall $18 0.00 18.40 22.30

Hines Ward $14 0.00 11.50 3.40

Emmanuel Sanders $7 0.00 9.40 3.00

Heath Miller $11 0.00 17.40 6.80

Shaun Suisham $14 0.00 8.00 6.00

Aaron Rodgers $29 27.40 43.60 20.10

James Starks $4 14.20 6.60 14.50

Greg Jennings $19 1.80 18.10 21.00

Jordy Nelson $8 0.00 21.90 10.70

Andrew Quarless $5 5.70 4.40 0.00

Green Bay Packers $9 5.00 19.00 14.00

This thing is going to end in a crazy shootout! A few different combos of 13 - 14 guys is going to be interesting from the couple teams I looked at. If there's a unique 10 - 12 man team and the scoring goes just right, multiple teams may be in the hunt.

Yeah, this will be interesting to see. One of the things I didn't like about this contest (and YES, I know it's free and is still great) was that it seemed to me that too many teams made each cut, especially this week's. Just spit-balling it, it seemed like with so many entries making this round, the strategy of loading up on two teams and hoping you got through with 4 players this week was the best strategy by far over the 2-3 players on most teams in the playoffs and having 7-8 guys going today. Those guys with 2-3 players on each team have almost no shot to win this, IMO. So I hope I'm wrong and very, very few teams like Grid's make it to the next round. But having 1000 teams make it seems like it's by far the best strategy for next year, assuming no changes.

Anyone else feel that way? And yes, I know you still need to get lucky and get the right SB teams and I know he barely made the cut last week.
Honestly the load up on tow teams and sprinkle in enough to get by strategy has always been the best one. The biggest hindrance to this is the number of people who don't read the rules and submit teams that don't have chance but are strong in the early weeks. I absolute love this contest...perfect mix of picking players, picking winning teams, and estimating cut lines needed to advance.On my end I'm still disappointed in what could have been. IF the Eagles had beaten the Pack I had everything else nailed. Had the AFC results perfect. :cry: As I recall, I would have had about 11-12 in the Super Bowl.
Just about the entire thing hinges on who you pick as your Super Bowl teams. I picked GB and Pittsburgh and think I may have a shot at some money but some others even did a better job of consolidating and getting through. The key for those two picks was also that Green Bay played a 1st round game, allowing for the 1st round to be a lot easier to get thru rather than your Super Bowl picks being Atlanta or the Bears where you didn't get that 1st round game in.I have left: Big Ben, Mendenhall, H. Miller, Suisham, A. Rodgers, Jennings, Crosby, Green Bay D, and Quarless.

Hindsight I need 1 or 2 more players to win, choosing Starks would have cost me next to nothing and still made it thru the earlier rounds or getting someone like Wallace or even Hines Ward would have been smart too.

I enjoy this contest as well. I will say that when I saw the 1000 cutoff number for the last week I thought that was a little high, so it really made it an easy decision to load up on 2 teams and you hope you hit the teams. If the cutoff was 500 rather than 1000, it may be harder to get in with just 4 players in that semi final week (2 from each of the two teams you loaded up on).
Yes, that was my point a couple of pages ago. I barely made it through with 5 players in the Championship week and would have missed of course if the cut was 500. But I think that would have been better and would have forced you to have 6-7 guys playing in the Championship week.

Here are the best entries I found with at least 6 packers. Several very good teams in the end. First prize is not a :lock: Feel free to correct me if any were missed or I miscounted.

Team Steelers Packers100566 5 8100699 4 6100729 3 6100950 6 6101476 8 6102446 6 7103066 4 8103859 4 6104923 3 8
My favorites (outside of my own team of course) are 100566, 100950 and 102446.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best teams with at least 6 Steelers (teams in the best GB post above excluded).

Team Steelers Packers100325 6 5100752 6 4102969 6 4103966 6 5106717 6 5
Team 106717 in particular will be rooting for defense and plenty of field goals.

Shameless bump before the last working day before the Super Bowl.

Two part sim question...

Any chance a sim can be run on the probability of each team winning?

Could the sim also show which team wins the game PIT or GB? I ask because it would be fun to see when PGH wins, team A tends to finish higher. When GB wins, team B tends to finish higher.

:crawlsbackunderrock:

Grid71 said:
Shameless bump before the last working day before the Super Bowl.Two part sim question...Any chance a sim can be run on the probability of each team winning? Could the sim also show which team wins the game PIT or GB? I ask because it would be fun to see when PGH wins, team A tends to finish higher. When GB wins, team B tends to finish higher.:crawlsbackunderrock:
I've been hoping for a sim as well. I think you've got it, but I'd like to see what slim chance I have.

Grid71 said:
Shameless bump before the last working day before the Super Bowl.Two part sim question...Any chance a sim can be run on the probability of each team winning? Could the sim also show which team wins the game PIT or GB? I ask because it would be fun to see when PGH wins, team A tends to finish higher. When GB wins, team B tends to finish higher.:crawlsbackunderrock:
I've been hoping for a sim as well. I think you've got it, but I'd like to see what slim chance I have.
I don't know about that. The glaring weakness on my team is no K or D. A field goal fest will make my team drop like Sharon Stone's panties.

If I did the math right, and I probably didn't, I ended up with 122.2. Really needed Nelson to catch that TD at the end of the game.

Finished 31st. Not enough FG's and didn't have Ward, Wallace or J Jones. The TEs just didn't do enough..... for me:)

It was fun, thanks FBG's for putting this on.

ConstruxBoy said:
If I did the math right, and I probably didn't, I ended up with 122.2. Really needed Nelson to catch that TD at the end of the game.
Ended up 45th. Fun contest. The winning team had 12 players going versus my 7 so I'm not surprised I lost. And I did pick the one "sleeper" that did real well last night in Nelson. Next year should be fun. Thanks to Doug and congrats to the winner.

156th - i was too heavily invested in Pats from the get to to have any shot of winning once reaching the finals, but was a fun ride nonetheless.

Thanks to FBG for hosting a fun contest!

Here are the best entries I found with at least 6 packers. Several very good teams in the end. First prize is not a :lock: Feel free to correct me if any were missed or I miscounted.

Code:
Team	Steelers  Packers100566	 5	   8100699	 4	   6100729	 3	   6100950	 6	   6101476	 8	   6102446	 6	   7103066	 4	   8103859	 4	   6104923	 3	   8
My favorites (outside of my own team of course) are 100566, 100950 and 102446.
Great dirty dozen entry 100950! Congrats to you. :lmao:Solid win by over 8 pts from my entry 101476. I'm thrilled to land in the top 3 to earn a lifer status.Thank you Doug Mr. Turk sir for letting me scrape by in week 19 and to FBG for putting this great contest together. Ciao!

Checking in to see when the prizes will be awarded. My subscription ran out and I'm stuck in limbo.

Checking in to see when the prizes will be awarded. My subscription ran out and I'm stuck in limbo.
Hi Grid,Just sent a note to David as he's rounding up info I believe. We'll get the checks headed towards the winners right away. J

Hi Grid,Just sent a note to David as he's rounding up info I believe. We'll get the checks headed towards the winners right away. J
:rant: Much appreciated. Cash is always great, but believe it or not, I'm more excited about the lifetime subscription. Year round fan here :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread