What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Off Season Dynasty Trade Thread (for completed trades) (2 Viewers)

Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

and 2014 First (Projected 8-12)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

and 2014 First (Projected top 5)
I don't understand trades like this. Too much can happen year to year to risk swapping 1st round picks next year while moving down this year.

Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

I don't understand trades like this. Too much can happen year to year to risk swapping 1st round picks next year while moving down this year.
There's almost no risk moving down 4 spots in the 2nd and the payoff if that 1st is top 5 is huge.
Exactly! and If I wanted I could move back up I have 1, 9, 17, 23 overall this year

Next year I have 3 firsts (2 projected top 6 picks, and one mid)

Here's a few:

T.J. Graham

2014 1st

2014 3rd

for

Vick Ballard

for

2014 1st

A.J. Jenkins (from Peterson owner)

for

Toby Gerhart

Really? Why would you give up Wilson for Patterson... Surely you could have gotten more for Wilson.
I agree. I'd be willing to add a good deal to Patterson to get Wilson. Perhaps double Patterson's value, even.
*shrugs*

I got my guy. I drafted both Tavon Austin + DeAndre Hopkins earlier in the draft and recently lost my starting WR (Michael Crabtree) to an Achilles injury. My other Running Backs in this league are Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

I need to hit a homerun at Receiver in this league, desperately. I'm not a believer in Wilson, he's not a super-great pass-catching threat and besides the few big runs he busted off last year (and kick-returns), nothing he really did impressed me. Leon Washington could have made the same plays he made last-year. Add to the fact he's NOT going to see Goalline and short-yardage work and I'll pass.

Came down to David Wilson for the 1.06 (Cordarelle Patterson). Coincidentally, David Wilson was taken at the 1.06 position (by me) last year so it pretty much became a "do-over" for me and considering I'm in desperate need of Wide Receivers it was an easy move to make.
So if you personally think that Monte Ball is going to be better than Trent Richardson, do you trade Richardson straight up for Ball???? Jesus no.

This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover.

In fact, there are enough Wilson lovers out there to get a good/great proven young WR. Wilson is going in like the 2nd and 3rd round of startup drafts. Patterson is going like 5 round later than that. You got KILLED in value there, real, real bad. If you needed a homerun at WR, why not just deal WIlson for an already proven homerun??
I agree with Wilson > Patterson just on the basis of my personal player evaluation but disagree with the sweeping generalizations you are making.

Regarding your extreme Montee Ball example, the only thing that kills the team is incorrectly evaluating that Montee > Trent. If instead you were correct all along in your evaluation, then you didnt kill the team at all. You simply put yourself in the exact same situation (or better) as the scenario where you kept Trent (since Ball equaled or exceeded Trent).

What you may have lost is the opportunity to maximize value of your team by instead selling Trent for a piece the Montee finds even more valuable than Montee and then selling that piece to that owner for Ball and another player. Missing out on that opportunity, however, did nothing to "kill" your team since you ended being no worse off than had you kept Trent all along (if you are correct in your evaluation). You just may have left additional value on the table.

In addition, that opportunity to maximize value, although sounding good in theory, doesn't always materialize and by the time you realize that, the opportunity to buy the player you wanted in the first place could now be gone. That said, I can understand the need to feel like you are maximizing value and I fall into that trap from time to time as well (and have been burned in the process).

As for Patterson vs. Wilson, if I thought Patterson was better than Wilson and also better than the "proven" homerun that I could have acquired with Wilson (which would not be that unusual), then I'd go Patterson and lose no sleep over the fact that the masses value Wilson over Patterson.

In the end, it all comes down to your evaluation of a player and how much you trust that evaluation even when everyone else is saying you are wrong. If you are right, then trading a worse player that the market values more for a better player that the market values less is a good thing.
Forget maximizing value, he very much MINIMIZED the value of Wilson on that deal.

And actually, in the case of "trading for a lesser valued player cause you like him more".....................I would actually consider Wilson for Patterson a pretty extreme example of this. Not as bad as my Richardson for Monte Ball example, but not that far off.

Really? Why would you give up Wilson for Patterson... Surely you could have gotten more for Wilson.
I agree. I'd be willing to add a good deal to Patterson to get Wilson. Perhaps double Patterson's value, even.
*shrugs*

I got my guy. I drafted both Tavon Austin + DeAndre Hopkins earlier in the draft and recently lost my starting WR (Michael Crabtree) to an Achilles injury. My other Running Backs in this league are Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

I need to hit a homerun at Receiver in this league, desperately. I'm not a believer in Wilson, he's not a super-great pass-catching threat and besides the few big runs he busted off last year (and kick-returns), nothing he really did impressed me. Leon Washington could have made the same plays he made last-year. Add to the fact he's NOT going to see Goalline and short-yardage work and I'll pass.

Came down to David Wilson for the 1.06 (Cordarelle Patterson). Coincidentally, David Wilson was taken at the 1.06 position (by me) last year so it pretty much became a "do-over" for me and considering I'm in desperate need of Wide Receivers it was an easy move to make.
So if you personally think that Monte Ball is going to be better than Trent Richardson, do you trade Richardson straight up for Ball???? Jesus no.

This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover.

In fact, there are enough Wilson lovers out there to get a good/great proven young WR. Wilson is going in like the 2nd and 3rd round of startup drafts. Patterson is going like 5 round later than that. You got KILLED in value there, real, real bad. If you needed a homerun at WR, why not just deal WIlson for an already proven homerun??
That's not even a valid comparison:

Trent Richardson posted 950 Yards and 11 Touchdowns last season.David Wilson posted 358 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.

You act like David Wilson has proven himself or something. He's a decent talent but the majority of his "long runs" are plays that change-of-pace guys like Leon Washington or Jerious Norwood could have made. Wilson doesn't even have the upside of being a great pass-catcher.

"This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover."

So what if I think Patterson will be better for me team? Isn't that EXACTLY WHAT DOES MATTER? Should I have avoided Adrian Peterson last-year like everyone else in my leagues did because of injury? Should I have not have drafted Russell Wilson as well?

At the end of the day, I value Patterson more than Wilson. They've both proven essentially nothing at the NFL level, besides that David Wilson is an above average Kick Returner. I've soured on Wilson after last season, nothing he did really impressed me. I spent the 1.06 on him last-year, didn't like what I saw, and traded him for the 1.06 this year for a prospect I like better.

A prospect at a position of need, homerun.
Are you telling me there arent plenty of WRs you like more than Patterson?? I bet you could have got quite a few of them for Wilson.

If you like him better, fine. Go get him, but either get him a different way or get more along with him in return. I understand you cant ALWAYS look at "value" as the be all end all of a deal, but if you make a few bad value deals like this it's gonna hurt badly in the longrun, unless somehow you are just THAT much smarter than everyone else and choose correctly every time.

Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

There's almost no risk moving down 4 spots in the 2nd and the payoff if that 1st is top 5 is huge.
yep, great trade

It isn't a do-over. But calling it that is a wonderful rationalization and specious reasoning.The fact you paid 1.06 for Wilson is irrelevant. It doesn't matter what you paid for him then, the only thing that matters it what he is worth NOW.

I can assure you Wilson is worth more than the 1.06 and I have yet to see a start up draft where Patterson was taken before him. And I seriously doubt that few 1.06 owners in any league would turn down a straight up offer for David Wilson.

Last edited by a moderator:
*shrugs*

That's not even a valid comparison:

Trent Richardson posted 950 Yards and 11 Touchdowns last season.David Wilson posted 358 Yards and 4 Touchdowns.

You act like David Wilson has proven himself or something. He's a decent talent but the majority of his "long runs" are plays that change-of-pace guys like Leon Washington or Jerious Norwood could have made. Wilson doesn't even have the upside of being a great pass-catcher.

"This way of thinking will kill a team. So what if you think Patterson will be better for your team. Since you are in the GIANT minority there, it's a bad deal cause you should easily get 2-3 times the value of Patterson even from a Patterson lover."

So what if I think Patterson will be better for me team? Isn't that EXACTLY WHAT DOES MATTER? Should I have avoided Adrian Peterson last-year like everyone else in my leagues did because of injury? Should I have not have drafted Russell Wilson as well?

At the end of the day, I value Patterson more than Wilson. They've both proven essentially nothing at the NFL level, besides that David Wilson is an above average Kick Returner. I've soured on Wilson after last season, nothing he did really impressed me. I spent the 1.06 on him last-year, didn't like what I saw, and traded him for the 1.06 this year for a prospect I like better.

A prospect at a position of need, homerun.
Are you telling me there arent plenty of WRs you like more than Patterson?? I bet you could have got quite a few of them for Wilson.

If you like him better, fine. Go get him, but either get him a different way or get more along with him in return. I understand you cant ALWAYS look at "value" as the be all end all of a deal, but if you make a few bad value deals like this it's gonna hurt badly in the longrun, unless somehow you are just THAT much smarter than everyone else and choose correctly every time.
He's got size and speed. He actually ran a faster 40-time than Wilson and is 4 inches taller...

He's got size and speed. He actually ran a faster 40-time than Wilson and is 4 inches taller...
Gee, then I guess it was a great deal then.
You're a sick person, you act like that's the only comment I've made on the deal.
Sick??? lol. I responded that way because your comment on his size and speed is about as worthless as it gets for this particular discussion. Frankly, there is no response to your comment that is anything but sarcasm.

If you want to argue who will be the better player, fine, that's not the issue. The issue is you got HOSED bigtime on the value, and shoud have got plenty more along with Patterson, like at least an extra 1st rounder or something. Even that is selling light based on dynasty ADP.

As I said before, if you want Patterson get him a different way. You could have traded Wilson for two pretty good players, then traded one of those players for Patterson straight up.

But if you like it, more power to ya. Nothing wrong with that deal if you are a very non active trader and never plan to make another move. Though its a HUGE boost to that other guy if he decides to flip Wison

Economics 101 here. I would trade 1.06 for David Wilson all day.

In a league of mine recently, David Wilson was traded for Ryan Tannehill, Desean Jackson and Rashard Mendenhall.

I hate to pile on but I agree that the Wilson trade is horrible. Last year I took Trent Richardson at 1.1 And Doug Martin at 1.2. Should I trade them for Tavon Austin and ?. Sorry but I think you could have gotten minimum another 1st for him but hope it works out.

It's a bad deal in terms of market value, but maybe he tried to get Patterson + extras for Wilson and this was the best deal available. You never know.

Patterson was a higher pick than Wilson and has the athletic profile of a high end #1 WR. It's not inconceivable that he could end up having the better career.

Recent trades:

1ppr, QB / 2RB / 2WR / 2FlexRB-WR / TE

Team A got: 1.8

Team B got: RB Vick Ballard

Team A (same as above) got: QB Andy Dalton

Team C got: Mark Sanchez, Golden Tate, Kenny Britt, 4.5, 2014 2nd

Team A (same) got: TE Jason Witten, 1.1, 2.9, 2014 1st (from 2nd place team in 2013)

Team D got: TE Jimmy Graham, 2.2

Instinctive said:
Here's a few:

T.J. Graham

2014 1st

2014 3rd

for

Vick Ballard

for

2014 1st

for

Toby Gerhart
Thoughts on these?

Here's another:

Rob Housler

FOR

Felix Jones

3.05 (became Travis Kelce)

Instinctive said:
Here's a few:

T.J. Graham

2014 1st

2014 3rd

for

Vick Ballard
Any 1st over Ballard

Instinctive said:

for

2014 1st
It's a decent gamble, but I'd probably use 1.6 if the other guy's a playoff team. Better talent at the top next year but not necessarily at the middle/end.

Instinctive said:

for

Toby Gerhart
Thoughts on these?
Would have taken Jenkins before MC's injury. Don't love Jenkins so I could see paying that. But unless it's a deep or RB-heavy league the handcuff isn't worth anything with upside.

Here's another:

Rob Housler

FOR

Felix Jones

3.05 (became Travis Kelce)
Kelce is a lot better prospect than Housler. Some chance Palmer may let Housler back into some redraft value this year but I don't think he'll ever be worth much.

Not involved in this trade in my 10 team league, start 1 QB

Team A got Stafford

Team B got Eli, Cutler and Mike Williams (already had Cam as starter)

ghostguy123 said:
cstu said:
kutta said:
Gottabesweet said:
Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

yep, great trade
How can you say "great trade" without seeing the rosters. Nothing is guaranteed, and there is a chance he could be swapping firsts next year and ending up with a worse pick. In my experience, it is only the most extreme examples where you can predict a full year ahead of time where teams will finish (maybe the best team trading with the worst). So much can happen in the course of a year, that complimenting someone on a trade like this where we haven't even seen the rosters is weird to me.

ghostguy123 said:
cstu said:
kutta said:
Gottabesweet said:
Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

yep, great trade
How can you say "great trade" without seeing the rosters. Nothing is guaranteed, and there is a chance he could be swapping firsts next year and ending up with a worse pick. In my experience, it is only the most extreme examples where you can predict a full year ahead of time where teams will finish (maybe the best team trading with the worst). So much can happen in the course of a year, that complimenting someone on a trade like this where we haven't even seen the rosters is weird to me.
Looks pretty good to me as well based on the info given.

As for so much happening in a year, in many leagues, I don’t think its all that hard projecting where most teams will finish, particularly if you are placing a team in a group such as top 5 or 8-12. Is it possible that you’ll be wrong and a team is better/worse than it looks or that injuries can change the outlook of a team significantly? Sure, that’s why we call it “projected” rather than “guaranteed”. Can you be right enough where a cost of 2.1 for 2.5 would be well worth the risk? Absolutely.

ghostguy123 said:
cstu said:
kutta said:
Gottabesweet said:
Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

yep, great trade

As for so much happening in a year, in many leagues, I don’t think its all that hard projecting where most teams will finish, particularly if you are placing a team in a group such as top 5 or 8-12. Is it possible that you’ll be wrong and a team is better/worse than it looks or that injuries can change the outlook of a team significantly? Sure, that’s why we call it “projected” rather than “guaranteed”. Can you be right enough where a cost of 2.1 for 2.5 would be well worth the risk? Absolutely.
I suppose so. I guess I just stay away from these kinds of trades because I've seen some weird stuff happen, and I'd hate to end up with a crummy pick.

Coeur de Lion said:
If you believe in a guy go get him, consensus value be damned IMO. I'd much rather make a mistake and go down with guys I truly believe in then watch a guy I could have had blow up on someone else's roster because I was holding out trying to get him at "market value."
Amen.

I suppose so. I guess I just stay away from these kinds of trades because I've seen some weird stuff happen, and I'd hate to end up with a crummy pick.
I hear you. You can be right on 4 of the bottom 5 but if the pick you traded away starts off slow and then prematurely goes into rebuild mode and lands the #1, regardless of whether the percentages were with you at the time of the trade, it HURTS!!!

ghostguy123 said:
cstu said:
kutta said:
Gottabesweet said:
Sent 2.1 (13 overall)

For 2.5 (17th overall)

yep, great trade
I have made a couple trades like this every offseason, and it has worked WONDERS for me.

You are right, I have no clue what the rosters look like......................but if I agree with his assessment of what the 2014 1sts look like, then as I said, GREAT trade.

Then I am certainly your trade partner if you would like to move up in the 2nd and swap future 1sts, lol.....................well, that is of course if I feel your pick will be much better than mine in 2014.

As Ernol said, it's not THAT difficult to spot deficiencies in teams and go after deals like this,

And if you do it consistently, it only takes ONE time to land a top 1-2 pick to drastically improve your situation.

Hell, even once in a while the future 1st you get is a WORSE pick, but it should still only be within 1-2 slots at most of your pick you traded away. Even if that happened 4 times, but on that 5th time you get the #1 picks..................you win. And really, assuming you can judge teams a little bit, in the longrun this is a great way to add manufactured value to your team.

Another example, if I ever have late 1sts (unless its a draft class I love late), I always try and deal that pick to someone for a future 1st that I think at least has a chance to be a high pick for me. And oops, if it isnt................I just keep doing it till it is. Would you trade pick 10 this year for pick #1 in 2017???? I would.

Agree, I don't make the trade often but when I see a team whose starting RBs are Turbin, Moreno and nothing else, ill take that chance. Plus I'm confident in my depth I have built over the past ten years.

12 team, PPRJeffery, R.RandleFORBritt, 3.02
Randle is moving up fast for me. Nicks and Cruz are both no-shows. Randle's getting some valuable time as the #1 receiver for the Giants and I think the chance that both Nicks and Cruz are with the Giants is less than 50% in 2014. He has a great opportunity at the moment.

The_Head_Ape said:
Wow. 10 team non-PPR.Both top contenders.Foster and GarçonForDMartin and Gordon
Hmmm...I guess I can see Foster as a short term upgrade over Martin and Garcon seems to have way more upside than Gordon (assuming he gets over his foot problems).

That said, 9 out of 10 times I would take the Martin/Gordon side of the trade.

Middle of PPR startup (FFPC so start 2 RBs 2 WRs 1 TE 2 RB/WR/TE Flex)

Lamar Miller

Pick #153 (used on Jon Baldwin)

2 2014 2nds

for

Randall Cobb

Pick #192 (used on Toby Gerhart)

matttyl said:
Not involved in this trade in my 10 team league, start 1 QB Team A got StaffordTeam B got Eli, Cutler and Mike Williams (already had Cam as starter)
Don't understand this one..."I already have a top-5 QB in a start-1 QB league, so I'm going to trade another one in a deal where most of the value I recoup comes back in the form of....multiple other QB's."I understand that QB's are notoriously hard to move in this format. But this trade makes no sense.

The_Head_Ape said:
Hmmm...I guess I can see Foster as a short term upgrade over Martin and Garcon seems to have way more upside than Gordon (assuming he gets over his foot problems).

The_Head_Ape said:

I see the bolded exactly the opposite.

I received Antonio brown and 1.07 for James jones and my 1.04. The redraft picks are equal to the 19th round seeing as the rosters have 18 players right now with a 7round redraft with the fa pool and the rest of the rookies. I'm thinking I did we'll in this trade but I wanted the thoughts of the dynasty community. Am I overvaluing Brown in comparison to Jones?

Traded Cobb, Ellington and G. Tate for Jennings. Hilton and Stacy (pre Pead Suspension)

Another leage Traded David wilson, cameron, Jonathon franklin, Latevius murray and 2 nd rounders for AP and Gearhart. Probably an over pay but full blown win now mode.

I wis

Traded Cobb, Ellington and G. Tate for Jennings. Hilton and Stacy (pre Pead Suspension)

Another leage Traded David wilson, cameron, Jonathon franklin, Latevius murray and 2 nd rounders for AP and Gearhart. Probably an over pay but full blown win now mode.
I wish I could get Cobb for that. I have offered blatant overpays with no luck.

Really don't like either of these for you.

Here is some I have seen this year

C. Ivory

M. Bennett

2013 2.01

for

D. Amendola

2014 first (should be top 6)

for

R. Tannehill

Kapernick

for

L. Fitzgerald and 2.11

I received Antonio brown and 1.07 for James jones and my 1.04. The redraft picks are equal to the 19th round seeing as the rosters have 18 players right now with a 7round redraft with the fa pool and the rest of the rookies. I'm thinking I did we'll in this trade but I wanted the thoughts of the dynasty community. Am I overvaluing Brown in comparison to Jones?
No thoughts on this trade?

Users who are viewing this thread