What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 NFL Draft thread (2 Viewers)

I can't believe I'm saying it, but if a top OL isn't there at #10, I could see Evans playing Alshon Jeffery in Detroit.
With the depth at WR in this draft, wouldn't the Lions be better served by going BPA LB or CB there?

I can't believe I'm saying it, but if a top OL isn't there at #10, I could see Evans playing Alshon Jeffery in Detroit.
With the depth at WR in this draft, wouldn't the Lions be better served by going BPA LB or CB there?
BPA is a good idea. I doubt that would be a CB. I don't think any CBs are top 10 in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
The statute of limitations has run out on the Lions taking a WR joke.

They need a complimentary WR in a really bad way.

BPA is a good idea. I doubt that would be a CB. I don't think any CBs are top 10 in this class.
I am not opposed to any ideas.. but I like Evans a lot, and like Andy said they need another WR in a bad way.

I am not opposed to any ideas.. but I like Evans a lot, and like Andy said they need another WR in a bad way.
I don't like Evans very much and think he's a reach at 10. I'd prefer both Lee and Strong (if he declares) to Evans. They need a WR and need one badly. But a guy like J. Landry is probably available in round 2 and that's the route I'd go if a top notch player like Mack is there at 10.

What about K. Mack falling to the Lions? There is a good chance of that IMO.
Honestly haven't caught much of him.

I think another WR is as big of a need as any in Detroit. Thought Bush could play the role but Schwartz didn't utilize him well. They lost too many close games.

CB probably next.

My first mock, only the top 20 right now as I'm not doing playoff teams.

1. HOU - T. Bridgewater QB, Louisville - team in desperate need of a franchise QB takes perhaps the only one in this draft.

2. TRADE - ATL - J. Clowney DE, South Carolina - ATL has shown a willingness to move up for a player they highly covet, see J. Jones. St. L will be looking to sell this pick pretty hard IMO and most reports support that notion. So while I didn't often like to project trades in mocks this seems like a natural one. DE and pass rush are the most glaring hole in ATL and Clowney is a generational talent.

3. JACK - B. Bortles QB, Central Florida - I don't really know if Bortles will be the guy or Carr or another QB. I believe this pick will be a QB though. Bortles is flying up boards and could move all the way up to 3.

4. CLEV - A. Barr DE/OLB, UCLA - this is where it gets interesting for me. Everyone expects CLEV to take a QB but I'm not sold. I think they could easily go BPA and in that case the guy is Barr IMO. CLEV has something in Hoyer and can look to a vet as added insurance at QB.

5. OAK - J. Manziel QB, Texas A&M - somebody is going to fall in love with Manziel and why not OAK? They need a QB badly and I think he will go in the top 10 even though I'm not a fan.

6. TRADE - ST. L - J. Mathews OT, Texas A&M - ST. L is able to move down, pick up a few more picks and still land their guy.

7. TB - G. Robinson OT, Auburn - I'm struggling with this pick pretty badly right now. Many mocks have them going with Mack here. I think they are going to try and sure up their oline however and really give Glennon as much support as possible.

8. MINN - D. Carr QB, Fresno State - MINN needs a franchise QB and Carr just might be that guy. I would have had him going in the top 5 but I think his bowl performance knocked him down a few pegs

9. BUF - C. Kouandjio OT, Alabama - Like TB, BUF has issues up front and. Young QB worth protecting. Kouandjio posses great natural ability and could contribute right away.

10. DET - S. Watkins WR, Clemson - This is a case of BPA falling to a team with a great need. A secondary Wzr across from Calvin is a must and will be addressed early in the draft. The only question is how early IMO.

11. TENN - T. Jernigan DT, Florida State - Tenn needs help upfront on the Dlineman and Jernigan is a guy I believe is flying under the radar right now. He's athletic enough to create pressure from the inside and that will get him drafted this high.

12. NYG - K. Mack LB, Buffalo - NYG will flirt with taking an Olinemen here but in the end I think they go BPA and that guy is Mack.

13. ST. L - H. Clinton-Dix S, Alabama - One of the biggest holes in ST. L is In the secondary and Clinton-Dix is the best defensive back in the draft IMO.

14. CHI - L. Nix III DT, Notre Dame - CHI run D has been a major problem this year and nobody in this draft is a better road block upfront than Nix.

15. PITT - J. Gilbert CB, Oklahoma State - There are needs all over the PITT defense but maybe none greater than the secondary. Gilbert is the best CB in the draft and with Clinton-Dix off the board they jump all over him.

16. DAL - Ekpre-Olomu CB, Oregon - DAL has the leagues worst D and really they go go a slew of directions here. I think they address CB 1st, though.

17. BALT - CJ Mosley LB, Alabama - BALT could end up with Ekpre-Olomu here as they flip a coin for who picks 1st with Dal. If he is gone I think they take the BPA and that is Mosley.

18. NYJ - M. Lee WR, Souther Cal - Just about everyone knows the Jets need to get playmakers on the field and help their struggle offense. Lee is a playmaker and can immediately fill that role.

19. MIA - C. Richardson G, Baylor - MIA has to address the oline this offseason thanks to the circus that went on with Martin/Incognito. There are many players they could take here that would quality but in the end I think they go with Richardson, a G, over the T's because he's the best overall player.

20. ARZ - T. Lewan OT, Michigan - This is a pretty far fall from grace for Lewan who many thought to be a top 10 pick last year. Warts have shown up in his game but he's still well worth a 1st round pick and ARZ needs a T badly.

FYI, I'm assuming Hundley stays at UCLA and doesn't come out.

Really? Bortles certainly pases the eye ball test. Great size, great feet, great mobility, above average arm and good accuracy. What's not to like?

Really? Bortles certainly pases the eye ball test. Great size, great feet, great mobility, above average arm and good accuracy. What's not to like?
I like Bortles as a prospect and have actually watched a lot of UCF games this year. He is very good at delivering the ball under pressure and moving the pocket. He is also helped by a relatively strong supporting cast. Big Ben is a popular comparison, he also reminds me a lot of fellow UCF player Dante Culpepper.

From a dynasty perspective, he is a top guy.

I do question his accuracy and decision making. In games against top competition (USC, Baylor, and Louisville) he has looked inconsistent.

My comment had more to do with how rare it is for a QB to come out of nowhere to be a top pick like he has. Johnny Football and Bridgewater seem ready to step in and be starters, if a team is picking for a new starter it should be those guys. Bortles? I'd like to see him sit and learn the game a year.

Top-ten early projection:

1. Houston Texans

QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville

Getting to more-and-more like a lock pick.

2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)

OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M

See above.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars

QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

Someone is going to take him very high in the draft. Jacksonville could be the team to take him.

4. Cleveland Browns

QB Blake Bortles, Central Florida

The Browns will take a quarterback and at this time it appears Bortles would be the B'QB'A.

5. Oakland Raiders

DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

Oakland D-Line was decimated last year and Lamar Houston might walk in free agency. They get BPA of this draft to build around.

6. Atlanta Falcons

DE Khalil Mack, Buffalo

Altanta really nees pass rushers.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

Bucs get enforcer-type of mauling O-Lineman.

8. Minnesota Vikings

QB Derek Carr, Fresno State

B'QB'A.

9. Buffalo Bills

OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA

Nucleous of Kiko and Barr continue to build solid defense.

10. Detroit Lions

WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Long standing need meets BPA.

4. CLEV - A. Barr DE/OLB, UCLA - this is where it gets interesting for me. Everyone expects CLEV to take a QB but I'm not sold. I think they could easily go BPA and in that case the guy is Barr IMO. CLEV has something in Hoyer and can look to a vet as added insurance at QB.
CLE is going O here.

Unless they switch back to a 4-3 and Clowney is still on the board.

I like Bortles as a prospect and have actually watched a lot of UCF games this year. He is very good at delivering the ball under pressure and moving the pocket. He is also helped by a relatively strong supporting cast. Big Ben is a popular comparison, he also reminds me a lot of fellow UCF player Dante Culpepper.

From a dynasty perspective, he is a top guy.

I do question his accuracy and decision making. In games against top competition (USC, Baylor, and Louisville) he has looked inconsistent.

My comment had more to do with how rare it is for a QB to come out of nowhere to be a top pick like he has. Johnny Football and Bridgewater seem ready to step in and be starters, if a team is picking for a new starter it should be those guys. Bortles? I'd like to see him sit and learn the game a year.
Seems perfect for Cleveland.

5. Oakland Raiders
DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina
Oakland D-Line was decimated last year and Lamar Houston might walk in free agency. They get BPA of this draft to build around.

If one of the top QB's isn't availalbe this would be the next best case scenario for the Raiders. Just as bad as the Raiders need a franchise QB, they also need an elite pass rusher.

Rotoworld:

Owner Bob McNair told reporters Friday that the Texans are open to dealing the No. 1 overall pick.
Of course they are; this is the yearly refrain for every team drafting in the top ten. They want to trade out to add draft picks. "Maybe we'll trade down and still get a quarterback that can do the job and get an outstanding defensive player," McNair said. McNair, of course, doesn't make draft-room decisions. We fully expect the quarterback-needy Texans to stand pat and select Teddy Bridgewater.

Related: Texans

Source: ESPN.com

Watkins may not make it past Stl. At #2 imo.
IMO he shouldnt....my favorite player in the draft and the WR the Rams are missing....put this go-to guy there and their crop of number 2s and 3s suddenly look pretty dangerous. They should jump on this guy.....

McLovin's and Jim Paron's "Against the Grain Mock Draft" http://www.nbcsports.com/node/657791

:yes:

1. Jags trade up to Johnny Manziel
2. Vikes trade up to take Teddy Bridgewater
3. Texan take Anthony Barr
4. Browns take Clowney
5. Falcons trade up to take Jake Matthews
6. Raiders take Kalil Mack

Houston turmOiler said:
Quez said:
Watkins may not make it past Stl. At #2 imo.
IMO he shouldnt....my favorite player in the draft and the WR the Rams are missing....put this go-to guy there and their crop of number 2s and 3s suddenly look pretty dangerous. They should jump on this guy.....
I'm not saying they should pass, but that is a whole lot of early picks thrown at the WR position for St. Louis the last few years if they choose Watkins.

Until last night's game, I had a hard time seeing Watkins as a true #1 WR in the NFL. Still don't see him in the same tier as Dez, AJ, or Calvin, but he showed us all that he can dominate against good college competition. He still seems a little bit small, but he's not too far from Crabtree's size. If he also has Crabtree's work ethic, he'll be comparable IMO.

Fits a need for St. Louis, but if they can trade down to a QB needy team or a team targeting Clowney, they should do so. (same can be said about most teams though)

I'm not saying they won't be productive or good options at the next level... but why are people leaning to Watkins and Lee over Evans?

Watkins looked tiny standing on a college field last night. Wouldn't the NFL be looking for the physical guy with size ala Calvin, AJ, Gordon, Demarius, Dez, Alshon, Graham, etc as a top pick?

Is a 6 foot WR going to be a game breaker (what I would expect from a top 10 pick) in the NFL these days?

Watkins is not tiny. I don't think he looks tiny on the field, either. He should measure around 6'1". That's not prototypical size, buts it's big enough given his athletic ability.

Until last night's game, I had a hard time seeing Watkins as a true #1 WR in the NFL. Still don't see him in the same tier as Dez, AJ, or Calvin, but he showed us all that he can dominate against good college competition. He still seems a little bit small, but he's not too far from Crabtree's size. If he also has Crabtree's work ethic, he'll be comparable IMO.

Fits a need for St. Louis, but if they can trade down to a QB needy team or a team targeting Clowney, they should do so. (same can be said about most teams though)
I cant see STL keep burning picks on WRs, Quick, Austin, Bailey, Givens all in the last couple seasons, plus they have Cook TE

I'm not saying they won't be productive or good options at the next level... but why are people leaning to Watkins and Lee over Evans?

Watkins looked tiny standing on a college field last night. Wouldn't the NFL be looking for the physical guy with size ala Calvin, AJ, Gordon, Demarius, Dez, Alshon, Graham, etc as a top pick?

Is a 6 foot WR going to be a game breaker (what I would expect from a top 10 pick) in the NFL these days?
Tiny?

Tiny?
Do you usually pick a single word out of a post in order to completely circumvent the point and question put forth?

He's listed as 9lbs lighter and the same height as Crabtree. Injury side, Mike has done fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

In the right system yes. QB will make a difference. Marvin Harrison for instance. Yeah he has big numbers attributed to Manning but before Manning arrived, he showed he was damn good. Once Manning arrived, of course, he rocketed.

I cant see STL keep burning picks on WRs, Quick, Austin, Bailey, Givens all in the last couple seasons, plus they have Cook TE
Yeah. They need QB and OL

Did you see what Blackmon was doing prior to his suspension?

I see we are devolving into a list of 6 foot tall WR's. I'm well aware of the numerous productive receivers at and under 6 feet... I'm aware of zero elite WR's that aren't taller and bigger. I'm talking about the "throw it up even when they are double teamed" guys.

I don't consider Blackmon/Crabtree/Garcon/S.Smith/T.Smith/Wayne/Cruz/etc to be receivers you would look for in a top 10 pick. That isn't to say they aren't very good WR's, I just wouldn't place them in the top half of #1's in the league.

When you list out the dominating WR's in the league you see a pattern of height and size... namely a few inches and 25+ pounds.

That is the discussion I was trying to bring out... there are a surplus of freak talented athletes in the league, but it appears rarer to get that along with the size.

I'm just a guy posting on a message board, but when I watch the handful of top ranked WR's coming out this year... I feel like Evans would be the guy that comes along less often. As such I would imagine he would be more sought after by the NFL teams drafting high.

I see we are devolving into a list of 6 foot tall WR's. I'm well aware of the numerous productive receivers at and under 6 feet... I'm aware of zero elite WR's that aren't taller and bigger. I'm talking about the "throw it up even when they are double teamed" guys.

I don't consider Blackmon/Crabtree/Garcon/S.Smith/T.Smith/Wayne/Cruz/etc to be receivers you would look for in a top 10 pick. That isn't to say they aren't very good WR's, I just wouldn't place them in the top half of #1's in the league.

When you list out the dominating WR's in the league you see a pattern of height and size... namely a few inches and 25+ pounds.

That is the discussion I was trying to bring out... there are a surplus of freak talented athletes in the league, but it appears rarer to get that along with the size.

I'm just a guy posting on a message board, but when I watch the handful of top ranked WR's coming out this year... I feel like Evans would be the guy that comes along less often. As such I would imagine he would be more sought after by the NFL teams drafting high.
Yeah, the last time Evans came around, his name was Mike Williams. That was almost 10 years ago now.

Watkins is 6'1", not 6' or bellow.
So is Blackmon... I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

I don't know how many ways I can say it.. I guess people would rather argue about Watkins than talk about the value of size among top receivers coming out. Have at it. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread