What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Subscriber Contest is LIVE (1 Viewer)

Here's my squad:

Tom Brady $17

Jake Locker $7

Blake Bortles $3

I really like Brady to bounce back to being a top 6 or so QB this year. Locker, if he stays healthy, presented a huge value this year. His ceiling is much higher than the other sub $10 QBs imo. Then, Bortles will probably be starting by the time Locker gets injured again lol. I guess he's cheap insurance.

Lesean Mccoy $34

Alfred Morris $20

Knowson Moreno $13

Mark Ingram $9

Benny Cunningham $3

McCoy is my stud, and my pick to finish out as RB#1 this season. Morris, I think he's going to suprise us with a large uptick in receiving numbers. Gruden's offense throws to the backs, and as much as people for some reason want to bring up Helu, Morris is a special runner and Helu is JAG and Morris is going to be in there more than his detractors would think. Huge value at $20 imo. Knowson, he'll be involved and his bye week meshed well. Ingram, I can't believe I've boarded his train again, but I did, and I'm ready to ride it off the cliff again. Cunningham is the longshot cheap pick.

Dez Bryant $27

Julio Jones $25

Brandin Cooks $14

Justin Hunter $9

Cody Latimer $6

Kelvin Benjamin $5

I love every one of these guys this year. Dez is my pick to finish the year as WR#1. Julio I have finishing 3rd. Cooks will have those big games and be inconsistent, but that kinda makes him perfect for a best ball contest like this one. Hunter is a stud in waiting imo, this will be his year. Latimer, we'll see.... probably the WR I have the least faith in out of this group, but the staff loves him and the Welker suspension means he'll get a chance to shine early and if he does, I could see him supplanting Sanders who is currently being vastly overrated by everyone imo. Benjamin has a giant catch radius according to Eminence, so he's in.

Julius Thomas $26

Zach Ertz $13

I like that I'm not seeing Orange Julius on many people's rosters this year. I think he's more involved this year than last, and seemed to be a better $ value thank Gronk and Graham. Ertz... after this preseason, I see him being heavily involved. I'm glad I found a way to include him on my final iteration of this.

Legatron $3

Shane Graham $3

Blair Walsh $3

Carolina $4

Tennesse $3

Indy $3

No comments on these.

Overall, I tried really hard to make sure my bye weeks meshed well across my RBs/WRs/TEs as the 2 flexs come from that pool. None of the obvious studs there are on the same bye, and within position I also managed to have the byes pretty darn well distributed. I think this team has the right structure to make it deep into the contest. Not sure if it has the firepower to win at the end, but maybe if things break the right way it will.

Russell Wilson $15
Ben Roethlisberger $10
Blake Bortles $3

Had Wilson from the beginning and the preseason only planted him more firmly in that spot. Good price and early bye. Can't pass on that. Originally I was going with 2 QBs and my other was Cutler. After seeing Bortles play I decided to change Cutler out for Big Ben + Bortles. Didn't feel that comfortable with only 2 QBs and one of them being a guy who misses games quite often.

Doug Martin $24
Ryan Mathews $20
Ray Rice $18
Knowshon Moreno $13
Andre Williams $7
Jonathan Stewart $5

I consider Martin a fringe 1st round pick this year and at this price it was a no brainer. Also really like Mathews and Rice. I originally switched Moreno out for Hill after hearing about Miller being 1st on the depth chart but decided to go back. I'm still not sure I made the right choice here, but I think Moreno has a higher chance of having very big games than Hill. Flyers of Andre Williams and Jonathan Stewart.

Antonio Brown $22
Roddy White $19
Cordarrelle Patterson $18
Justin Hunter $9
Cody Latimer $6
Kelvin Benjamin $5
John Brown $3

Like Antonio Brown's price the best out of who I consider to be the top WRs this year. I think Roddy is in for a big bounce back year with Gonzalez gone. I don't even need to explain my love for Patterson. When I first was filling out my sheet he was the first one I selected. Then went for 4 flyers of Hunter, Latimer, Benjamin and Brown. I would have paid more for Benjamin and expect him to contribute more often than the others.

Kyle Rudolph $15
Heath Miller $10
Travis Kelce $8

Really like this combo of TE's. Kelce is the big upside guy. Miller is the safe guy, but could easily have some multi touchdown games. I was really high on Rudolph a few weeks ago but have started to cool on him. I have a hard time believing he will be consistent with all the playmakers on that offense, but the beauty of this format is you don't need consistent if you have depth.

Dan Bailey $4
Nate Freese $3
Adam Vinatieri $3

They're kickers on teams that I think can score a lot of points.

Cleveland Browns $4
Pittsburgh Steelers $3
New York Jets $3

Probably spent more time here than most trying to find a good combination of matchups, especially when the other defenses were on bye. I ended up liking this combo, but it's all a crapshoot anyways.

Manning

Bortles

Manning is a beast. By himself so far above any other combination of QB's for the $ imo.

Andre Ellington

Doug Martin

Alfred Morris

Mark Ingram

Jonathan Stewart

Two guys who I think will outperform their cost and bring in nice scores almost every week. One "solid" guy. Two bye week / touchdown game guys.

Michael Floyd

Cordarrelle Patterson

Sammy Watkins

Justin Hunter

Kelvin Benjamin

Markus Wheaton

John Brown

Top three are guys, again, who I think will outperform their dollar value. Floyd and Patterson could be outright studs. Benjamin will be the most owned. Hunter/Wheaton/Brown are guys with possibilities of big games.

Jimmy Graham

Tim Wright

Richard Rodgers

A flat out beast and two upside guys. Hoping one of the upside guys will develop.

Freese/Gano/Walsh

Panthers/Dolphins/Redskins

Booya

QB

Peyton Manning

Chad Henne

Bortles

RB

LeSean McCoy

Eddie Lacy

Carlos Hyde

Mark Ingram

Andre Williams

Shonn Greene

Jonathan Stewart

Dri Archer

Robert Turbin

WR

Alshon Jeffery

Cordarrelle Patterson

Jordan Matthews

Justin Hunter

Kelvin Benjamin

Brandon LaFell

Mohamed Sanu

TE

John Carlson

Brent Celek

Jace Amaro

K

Stephen Gostkowski

Steve Hauschka

ST/D

Seattle Seahawks

New England Patriots

TEs and WRs may be weak, but I feel good about the rest of it.

Russell Wilson $15
Tony Romo $14
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doug Martin $24
Rashad Jennings $23
Fred Jackson $12
Dexter McCluster $7
Jonathan Stewart $5
Benny Cunningham $3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antonio Brown $22
Mike Evans $11
Hakeem Nicks $9
Greg Jennings $9
Steve Smith $7
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Nate Washington $4
Mohamed Sanu $3
Jimmy Graham $30
Julius Thomas $26
Richard Rodgers $5
Greg Zuerlein $3
Nate Freese $3
Adam Vinatieri $3
New Orleans Saints $4
Washington Redskins $3

Need Graham and Julius to come through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing this contest for at least 5-6 years now and its one of the most fun aspects of fantasy football season. Big thanks to FBG for putting this contest on every year. Its as enjoyable as my league drafts. Last year I made it to week 11 or 12 so hopefully I can get there again this year. Here is my team and my reasoning behind my picks:

QB - Russell Wilson - SEA/4 - $15
QB - Jay Cutler - CHI/9 - $12

Thought about throwing in Bortles here for $3 but added another kicker instead. I think Wilson has a great fantasy year and Cutler is always in the running to throw a lot of yards and TDs as long as he doesn't get hurt.

RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/10 - $30
RB - Eddie Lacy - GB/9 - $28
RB - Ronnie Hillman - DEN/4 - $8
RB - Andre Williams - NYG/8 - $7
RB - Benny Cunningham - STL/4 - $3
RB - Robert Turbin - SEA/4 - $2

Went with two studs and then some cheaper guys who I thought could have value as TD vultures or potential injuries down the line. Turbin is a complete flyer here but I had to spend that extra $2.

WR - Dez Bryant - DAL/11 - $27
WR - Antonio Brown - PIT/12 - $22
WR - Harry Douglas - ATL/9 - $7
WR - Mike Williams - BUF/9 - $5
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/12 - $5
WR - John Brown - ARI/4 - $3
WR - Mohamed Sanu - CIN/4 - $3

Pretty much the same philosophy as my RB's, went for two studs and then value. I'm hoping Sanu can solidify his #2 role in Cinci throughout the season.

TE - Jimmy Graham - NO/6 - $30
TE - Kyle Rudolph - MIN/10 - $15
TE - Richard Rodgers - GB/9 - $5
TE - Jace Amaro - NYJ/11 - $3

When Gronk announced he was going to start week 1 I played with having my TE just be Gronk and Graham....but I went for depth instead. I'm hoping that wasn't a mistake. I feel good about Rudolph this year, Rodgers and Amaro are flyers but Rodgers is listed as the starting TE on Green Bay so he should offer value at least a couple of times this year.

PK - Greg Zuerlein - STL/4 - $3
PK - Shayne Graham-NO/6 - $3
PK - Blair Walsh - MIN/10 - $3

I will never spend more than $3 on a kicker. Mostly tried to get my kickers byes out of the way relatively early. Considering having two of my kickers with a week 4 bye but couldn't pull the trigger.

TD - New Orleans Saints - NO/6 - $4
TD - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - TB/7 - $4
TD - New York Jets - NYJ/11 - $3

Almost went with the Carolina D as one of my picks, but I think they take a big step back this year so I don't see that D scoring a lot of points this year. Went with TD that will hopefully improve from last year. Maybe picking the Jets was a mistake beyond week 1 but lets hope their run D is as good as it was last year.

My big bye week issues are week 4 and 9. I tried to load up a but on players with a week 4 bye and most of my studs are still on that week so I should be fine. Week 9 is a little sketchy with 5 players on bye but we will see how the chips fall. Good luck everybody!

QB - D.Brees

QB - J.Flacco

RB -A.Peterson

RB - A.Morris

RB - L.Dunbar

RB - A.Blue

WR - D.Bryant

WR - M.Floyd

WR - C.Patterson

WR - G.Jennings

WR - J.Hunter

TE - J.Thomas

TE - D.Pitta

TE - L.Toilolo

PK - D.Bailey

PK - M.Nugent

PK - S.Suisham

TD - Browns

TD - Texans

Too many with Week 10 bye but I never make it that far anyway.

Cutler

Palmer

Bye weeks work out well and I'm fairly high on both of them. Decided against selecting a 3rd qb. Assuming no other qb goes off like Peyton last year I should be fine

Peterson

Ball

Moreno

Ingram

2 studs plus guys will be serviceable most weeks. Likely won't use a rb in the flex many weeks this season

DThomas

Julio Jones

Steve Smith

Benjamin

Bailey

2 studs, a high upside guy in Benjamin with a steady PPR producer in Smith, Bailey was the best $2 player available

Graham

Gronk

Miller

2 studs and a steady PPR player. Hoping cover at least one flex position every week with a TE

Gano

Walsh

Kickers don't matter

Titans

Dolphins

Defenses don't matter

My method of choosing involved using Dodds' projections as a starting point, then adjusting where necessary. Then I took a VBD per $ calculation. Made more adjustments determining per week $s and high upside guys etc. The annoying/difficult part was making bye weeks fit and creating a good mix of high upside, steady production players with a smaller, stud heavy roster

It was very obvious that stud TEs give a huge advantage which is why I went TE heavy. JT couldn't fit because I already rostered DT and Ball; Cameron was on every iteration except the final. My biggest regret was not rostering Hilton

GL everyone!

Lost out last year on week 8 by .4 points. Would have had enough to make it through to the finals every other week. Went with the same strategy again this year; STUDS! Last year I had a lot of dead money in Bradford (injury), Stocker and V. Brown ($24) which I was really trying to avoid this year.

Tons of good value around the $10-13 range for QBs IMO. Had multiple combinations of Newton, Dalton, Rivers, Cutler, etc. Finally settled on two guys that will end up anywhere between QB5-12. Was really tempted to go with just Peyton but I decided to save a few bucks at QB and go with his WRs/TE instead.

Andy Dalton $13
Cam Newton $13

STUDS! Risky going with just 3 but I didn't see any value in the lower tier guys; just guys that had high possibilities of being dead money.

LeSean McCoy $34
Adrian Peterson $30
Eddie Lacy $28

Two studs and fliers. Lots of guys I would have liked in the $16-20 range but I just couldn't justify going with 3 of them instead of Dez and Demaryius.

Demaryius Thomas $29
Dez Bryant $27
Cody Latimer $6
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Markus Wheaton $5
Nate Washington $4
Malcom Floyd $4
Mohamed Sanu $3

Stud and the hype.

Julius Thomas $26
Travis Kelce $8

Kickers. These guys kick the ball.

Greg Zuerlein $3
Caleb Sturgis $3

Defence plays defence.

Kansas City Chiefs
Carolina Panthers

I think Hunter and Benjamin will be heavily rostered by folks who are very present on this board, but not by the population in general. My two drafts not littered with regulars from here, they both went late, to me. So, for the general population, my take is that they weren't consensus sleepers

I think Hunter and Benjamin will be heavily rostered by folks who are very present on this board, but not by the population in general. My two drafts not littered with regulars from here, they both went late, to me. So, for the general population, my take is that they weren't consensus sleepers
Benjamin is on 6,651 rosters. Hunter is on 2,777.

Benjamin is on 6,651 rosters. Hunter is on 2,777.
14,303 total entries

Feel free to poo poo my team. Here were my basic strategies going into constructing the team.

-I feel like 18 player teams have the best chance of winning it all vs. deeper teams. I wanted a smaller team.

-Spread out bye weeks effectively…this cannot be understated how important this is in my opinion.

-I feel like minimizing dead or non contributing dollars spent per week is another key to winning this contest.

So…about 30 attempts in, I didn't like how my rosters were looking. I went for value, but had concerns my value picks could NOT possibly outscore some of these stud line ups. So, I decided to construct an 18 team lineup of:

1 QB only (A risk)

-3 PK's using $9

-3 TD's using $9

-Then also committing to 3 Wr's for ($3 each) $9. This immediately used 9 roster spots (Not including the QB).

-I then set out to choose the best 1 player and to have no overlap on bye weeks for weeks 4-12 (My 9 remaining roster spots). 9 players for 9 bye weeks. Hey now...

-I also wanted to have 1 more RB/WR/TE to cover the weekly scoring spots 7/week (2 RB / 2WR / 1 TE / 2 Flex from RB/WR/TE). In a perfect world this is where my scoring should come from.

Bye Week 4 - Peyton Manning (QB1). While I don't believe Manning will be QB 1, using him at the Week 4 bye made the most sense. It is a risk as I post a zero in week 4 for my QB score.

Bye Week 5 - Mike Wallace (WR2). I like his ability to bounce back after a rough year. He is a deep threat and hopefully can have well timed monster weeks.

Bye Week 6 - Jimmy Graham (TE1). Stud. Worth every penny and was a must have.

Bye Week 7 - LeSean McCoy. (RB1). Best option for all Bye week 7 players period.

Bye Week 8 - Vernon Davis (Flex option 3). I struggled with Bye week 8 in general and finally settled on Davis and the 1.5 advantage.

Bye Week 9 - Reggie Bush (Flex 1 option). Love Reggie, love the upside and think Detroit is going to put up crazy points this year. Reggie is a mild injury risk, which is a concern for my thin line up.

Bye Week 10 - Adrian Peterson (RB1). Could very well be a top 2 back this year.

Bye Week 11 - Jason Witten (Flex 2 option). An improved Dallas offensive line means less blocking on pass plays for Witten. With a defense that is hot garbage, Dallas will need to score in bunches.

Bye week 12 - Antonio Brown (WR1). I love his scoring consistency which was crucial for me going so thin at WR and why I am relying on RB/TE contributions to my flex scoring.

Here is the entire rooster.

1 QB - $30

3 RB - $87

5 WR - $50

3 TE - $65

3 PK - $9

3 TD - $9

18 players - $250 spent

QB - Peyton Manning - DEN/4 - $30
RB - LeSean McCoy - PHI/7 - $34
RB - Adrian Peterson - MIN/10 - $30
RB - Reggie Bush - DET/9 - $23
WR - Mike Wallace - MIA/5 - $19
WR - Andre Roberts - WAS/10 - $3
TE - Jimmy Graham - NO/6 - $30
TE - Jason Witten - DAL/11 - $18
TE - Vernon Davis - SF/8 - $17
PK - Nate Freese - DET/9 - $3
PK - Sebastian Janikowski - OAK/5 - $3
TD - Miami Dolphins - MIA/5 - $3
TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT/12 - $3

Interesting approach that ends up with an all value team that resembles the 'perfect draft' targets.

Almost everyone (except the K/D) listed was on my team at one point over the past month lol.

Still have 5 or 6 of em.

Good luck

By the way, using this method I again wound up with 30 players.

QB - Colin Kaepernick - 14
QB - Joe Flacco - 8
QB - Jake Locker - 7
RB - Arian Foster - 26
RB - Fred Jackson - 12
RB - DeAngelo Williams - 10
RB - Mark Ingram - 9
RB - Andre Williams - 7
RB - Dexter McCluster - 7
RB - Shonn Greene - 6
WR - Antonio Brown - 22
WR - Keenan Allen - 21
WR - DeAndre Hopkins - 11
WR - Rod Streater - 7
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - 5
WR - Brian Quick - 4
WR - Jerricho Cotchery - 4
WR - Malcom Floyd - 4
WR - Lance Moore - 3
WR - Mohamed Sanu - 3
WR - Jason Avant - 2
TE - Jordan Cameron - 22
TE - Heath Miller - 10
TE - Travis Kelce - 8
PK - Nate Freese - 3
PK - Adam Vinatieri - 3
PK - Graham Gano - 3
TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3
TD - Miami Dolphins - 3
TD - Washington Redskins - 3

Tony Romo $14
Jay Cutler $12
Josh McCown $8

-- Loved the value here of both Romo and Cutler here. Went back and forth on carrying 3 QB's this year. In the end decided it was worth it with the late bye weeks.

Matt Forte $32
Doug Martin $24
Ray Rice $18
Andre Williams $7
Jonathan Stewart $5

-- Im hoping both Rice and Martin are good prices here. I feel comfortable with Martin but I am a little worried about Rice's production with Pierce in the picture. Williams and Stewart should give me good flex production.

Dez Bryant $27
Antonio Brown $22
Greg Jennings $9
Rod Streater $7
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Malcom Floyd $4
John Brown $3

-- Starting to have buyers remorse on Jennings at $9. I am seeing Hunter on a lot of rosters and wondering if that was the pick. Went a little conservative with him I guess. Benjamin seems to be a must have at that price. Malcolm Floyd could be a sneaky value IF he stays healthy. Always seems to produce on the field.

Jordan Cameron $22
Dwayne Allen $8
Brent Celek $3

-- For me Dwayne Allen was the one I liked at this price. May not have a big year but should be solid year round.

Greg Zuerlein $3
Adam Vinatieri $3
Graham Gano $3

Carolina Panthers $4
Houston Texans $4
New York Jets $3

-- First year for me carrying 3 K and 3 DT. Usually only carry 2 each but the talk on this board convinced me to carry 3 each.

-- Originally went heavy on studs with small roster but decided to change it up late last night to add a little more depth. I think originally I only had 21 players and would have been super thin on weeks 9-10. Decided to add a little depth and in the process it cleared up my bye week troubles.

Winner right here. Manning + Graham and picked studs for starters and high upside / good value guys on flex / bench. I think the bench / flex guys are key to winning this thing. The teams that go far always pick a few who emerge as studs during the season.

Peyton Manning $30 0.00 bye
Blake Bortles $3 0.00 bye
LeSean McCoy $34 0.00 bye
Eddie Lacy $28 0.00 bye
Devonta Freeman $11 0.00 bye
Carlos Hyde $10 0.00 bye
Andre Williams $7 0.00 bye
Michael Floyd $21 0.00 bye
Cordarrelle Patterson $18 0.00 bye
Kenny Stills $10 0.00 bye
Justin Hunter $9 0.00 bye
Kelvin Benjamin $5 0.00 bye
Markus Wheaton $5 0.00 bye
Jimmy Graham $30 0.00 bye
Travis Kelce $8 0.00 bye
Mychal Rivera $3 0.00 bye
Caleb Sturgis $3 0.00 bye
Nate Freese $3 0.00 bye
Adam Vinatieri $3 0.00 bye
Tennessee Titans $3 0.00 bye
Indianapolis Colts $3 0.00 bye
Pittsburgh Steelers $3 0.00 bye

Feel free to poo poo my team.

If you insist. I like it other than here; I think you're waaaay to thin at WR and that you missed out on some good cheap guys (Benjamin, Wheaton, Lattimer). There are going to be weeks where you're relying on 3 WR3 guys on mediocre offences as must counts. Too much risk imo.

My intention with this lineup is to survive the bye weeks and then try to hit big scores by committee after that. I don't think I have near enough consistent oomph outside of my RBs, but hope my depth provides enough options to put up a respectable score week to week.

MJD, every WR except Patterson, Ertz, and Green ought to be able to figure out something on the flex. At least that's the plan.

This is not a winner imo:

Colin Kaepernick $14
Ryan Tannehill $10
Blake Bortles $3

-
LeSean McCoy $34
Joique Bell $21
Alfred Morris $20
Maurice Jones-Drew $15

-
Cordarrelle Patterson $18
Mike Evans $11
Justin Hunter $9
Rod Streater $7
Cody Latimer $6
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Malcom Floyd $4

-
Jimmy Graham $30
Zach Ertz $13
Ladarius Green $12

-
Greg Zuerlein $3
Nate Freese $3
Connor Barth $3 :bag: :bag: :bag: Goof pick, meant to select Josh Brown, maybe he gets picked up by someone midseason... :bag: :bag: :bag:

-
Miami Dolphins $3
Minnesota Vikings $3
Pittsburgh Steelers $3
Good luck to all! This is one of my favorite threads each year, following the querier gurus and the different strategies presented as the season unfolds.

Philip Rivers $12
Blake Bortles $3
LeSean McCoy $34
Eddie Lacy $28
Devonta Freeman $11
Andre Williams $7
Dez Bryant $27
Emmanuel Sanders $18
Brandin Cooks $14
Justin Hunter $9
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Markus Wheaton $5
Jimmy Graham $30
Rob Gronkowski $26
Jace Amaro $3
Nate Freese $3
Shayne Graham $3
Houston Texans $4
New Orleans Saints $4
Pittsburgh Steelers $3

Well here is my feeble attempt. In the past I've tried focusing on depth, or Stud WR. This year I figured I'd go a different stud route.

I really think Cutler is in for a great year. I'm ok with Flacco as a backup.

Jay Cutler Chi/9 $12
Joe Flacco Balt/11 $8

Kinda thin at RB but I think I have a solid rotation of 3 guys that can give solid on par numbers. Jonathan Stewart.....I just can't quit you.

Chris Johnson NYJ/11 $20
Alfred Morris Wash/10 $20
Frank Gore SF/8 $16
Jonathan Stewart Car/12 $5

I've done the Stud WR path in the past so this was a bit of a change for me. I wanted one solid guy and a group of contributors that can give me decent WR2 numbers each week. I am hoping to only use these guys for the two WR scoring positions and not see them in the flex scoring much.

Antonio Brown Pitt/12 $22
James Jones Oak/5 $11
Anquan Boldin SF/8 $9
Jarrett Boykin GB/9 $9
Justin Hunter Tenn/9 $9
Kelvin Benjamin Car/12 $5

Here is what I am hoping pays off. I am hoping that the 1.5 PPR points will put two TE's in my flex spots each week. I just felt like the value of these guys was better than I felt for the same dollars at the WR position. Might suck but I won't know until I try.

Jimmy Graham NO/6 $30
Rob Gronkowski NE/10 $26
Julius Thomas Den/4 $26

3 Kickers....Should be on par.

Mason Crosby GB/9 $4
Adam Vinatieri Ind/10 $3
Shayne Graham NO/6 $3

3 Defenses....same opinion as kickers for me.

Cleveland Browns Cle/4 $4
Carolina Panthers Car/12 $4
Houston Texans Hou/10 $4

21 Players @ $250

3 stud TE's could end up biting my but I haven't seen it done and just wanted to try. GL everyone.

What I'm seeing thus far:

The Peyton only or Peyton plus Bortles teams will be extremely lucky to last till week 5. Week 3 @ Seattle, Week 4 Bye

Lots of wasted $$ at rb. Too much being spent on lower end rbs who are very unlikely to produce this season.

Too little being spent on TE, most of the teams posted here are underestimating the 1.5PPR advantage that TE's get.

The Peyton only or Peyton plus Bortles teams will be extremely lucky to last till week 5. Week 3 @ Seattle, Week 4 Bye

Lots of wasted $$ at rb. Too much being spent on lower end rbs who are very unlikely to produce this season.

Too little being spent on TE, most of the teams posted here are underestimating the 1.5PPR advantage that TE's get.
There are so many garbage entries that if you went with no QB and put in a little effort, you should make it past week 3/4.

There are so many garbage entries that if you went with no QB and put in a little effort, you should make it past week 3/4.
Are there really that many garbage entries? Half of the pool will be eliminated by the end of week 4

My basic strategy was to go with the best value at all positions.

besides TE, I didnt go thestud route, instead I went with quantity over quality. But I think I have enough good players to survive for awhile.

My most exspensive guy is Julius Thomas at 26, everyone else is 20 bucks and under

QB - Jay Cutler - CHI/9 - $12
QB - Ben Roethlisberger - PIT/12 - $10
QB - Josh McCown - TB/7 - $8

3 solid value play guys, Cutler, BigBen and McCown

RB - Chris Johnson - NYJ/11 - $20
RB - Alfred Morris - WAS/10 - $20
RB - Frank Gore - SF/8 - $16
RB - Mark Ingram - NO/6 - $9
RB - Jonathan Stewart - CAR/12 - $5

Really like this group, CJ, Alfred provided great value IMO, Gore is solid and cheap, Had to have the Ingram hype

WR - Roddy White - ATL/9 - $19
WR - Cordarrelle Patterson - MIN/10 - $18
WR - Jeremy Maclin - PHI/7 - $16
WR - Brandin Cooks - NO/6 - $14
WR - Justin Hunter - TEN/9 - $9
WR - Kelvin Benjamin - CAR/12 - $5
WR - Jermaine Kearse - SEA/4 - $5

Roddy is in for a big season, Patterson/Maclin/Cooks provide the nice upside, Hunter will score big games, everyone in the contest has Kelvin Benjamin. I think Kearse will have nice games for cheap as well

TE - Julius Thomas - DEN/4 - $26
TE - Zach Ertz - PHI/7 - $13
TE - Heath Miller - PIT/12 - $10

Ertz & Miller I suspect is a big combo expect to get alot of flex points from them

PK - Adam Vinatieri - IND/10 - $3
TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - PIT/12 - $3

Overall I think I survive awhile then get knocked out late when the stud heavy lineups survive

Have a tough by during week 9 with Lacy and Julio out, but I'll fight on. Risky going with 18 and only 2 Ds and 2 Ks, but gotta take a few risks to win this thing.

Nick Foles $19
Jay Cutler $12
Montee Ball $29
Eddie Lacy $28
Maurice Jones-Drew $5
James Starks $5
Julio Jones $25
Antonio Brown $22
Julian Edelman $17
Anquan Boldin $9
Steve Smith $7
Jimmy Graham $30
Heath Miller $10
Jace Amaro $3
Phil Dawson $5
Nate Freese $3
St. Louis Rams $7
Carolina Panthers $4

Andrew Luck $20
Ben Roethlisberger $10 0.00
Arian Foster $26
Chris Johnson $20
Knowshon Moreno $13
Mark Ingram $9
Dez Bryant $27
Andre Johnson $21
Emmanuel Sanders $18
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Markus Wheaton $5
Jimmy Graham $30
Zach Ertz $13
Heath Miller $10
Justin Tucker $5
Nick Novak $4
Greg Zuerlein $3
Carolina Panthers $4
Houston Texans $4
Minnesota Vikings $3

Made it into the final round last year using this same formula. Didn't have the whole texan offense though... my homerism got to me.

Cutler 12, Palmer 11

Charles 36, McCoy 34, DWill 10, JStew 5

Marshall 26, Fitz 20, Streater 7, Latimer 6, Benjamin 5, Wheaton 5

Graham 30, Gronk 26

Bailey 4, Freese 3

NE 6, CLE 4

QB-Newton Wilson Flacco

RB-Ellington Rice Moreno Hyde Freeman

WR-K Allen, White, Hartline, Streater, Benjamin, Wheaton, P Richardson & Sanu

TE-Cameron, Ertz, Kelce

3 K & 3D

I feel my biggest risk is RB. I need Rice to come back from susp huge and at least 1 of Moreno/Hyde/Freeman to become 12+ ppg guys after the first 4-5 wks.

Always better IMO to take more risk early in the season for this contest because later on (i.e. too many wk10 byes) you really have no shot of surviving.

Are there really that many garbage entries? Half of the pool will be eliminated by the end of week 4
Yep. Looks like it might be a bit tougher this year as there are 14200 entries. Last year there weren't even cuts the first two weeks so the fat didn't even start getting trimmed till week 3.

My team, hadn't really changed for the about a week or so then at last minute swapped out Wallace for Cody Latimer, Steve Smith and Jace amaro.

QB:

Colin Kaepernick

Ryan Tannehill

Figures I have them here since I have them in all but 1 of my leagues. Kaepernick adds some nice value with his legs and I think he makes the jump this year to top 6 QB. He hurt his ankle in week 2 last year and it really hurt his rushing stats for a couple games (15 for 63 yds in weeks 3 - 6). The running also helps his floor when he faces a tough matchup.

I love Tannehill this year. He really started to put it together at the end of last season and I think the new OC helps him. He also adds some nice value with his legs and I think his rushing numbers increase this year. I look for him to finish top 12.

RB:

Andre Ellington

Doug Martin

C.J. Spiller

Andre Williams

Jonathan Stewart

Chose to go with 3 possibly stud backs. Ellington and Martin have basically no competition and are both capable of explosive plays, as well as involved in passing game which I think is key in the contest.

I truly think people are sleeping on Spiller this year. I grabbed him in all but 1 of my leagues. He was a "disappointment" last year, but he still put up some decent numbers despite being in and out of the lineup due to a HAS. If Jackson proves he still has some in the tank, there are still plenty of carries for Spiller to be in the 17/game + receiving targets range.

I don't think Jennings is anything special in NY. He's a career back up who had some decent games. He had the benefit of 6 TD's in the 2nd half of the season which he might not get due to Williams. That said, Williams should get the goal line work and I think he eventually takes over for Jennings.

Talent is never the question with Stewart, it was always health and opportunity. Williams is another year older, and Newton is hobbling on a bad ankle. In years past I would have avoided the situation but at $5 it's hard to look past it. If he gives you one or two big games he'll be worth more than the cost.

WR:

Dez Bryant

Julio Jones

Justin Hunter

Steve Smith

Cody Latimer

Kelvin Benjamin

John Brown

Mohamed Sanu

Think both Bryant and Jones are a little underpriced. Both should get plenty of targets and TD's and are capable of big plays and big days. They offer pretty high floors (for WR's at least) but took them mostly with the final 3 weeks in mind. You need to have those guys capable of putting up 200/2 in any given week.

Bought into the Hunter hype. He offers a nice Red Zone target for locker as well as being a deep threat (5 of 18 rec last year were over 30 yards).

Steve Smith is my grizzly vet who I think I can count on for 4 or 5 catches each week. He won't put up huge numbers but I think he'll be consistent and help me guarantee at least a decent score from one of my WR spots.

Latimer is a guy I'm hoping emerges in the Wes Welker role. With Manning you know that he'll throw to whoever is open. And Latimer offers good game to game upside.

Benjamin I think is a no brainer at the cost. I think you're better off having him and have him bust than not having him and have him produce.

John Brown I think is another guy who can offer game to game upside. He won't put up great season stats, but has the potential to put up a big game here and there.

Mohamed Sanu. Will be de-facto #2 for at least 6 weeks, and possibly more. Hard to resits at $3.

TE:

Gronkowski

Kelce

Amaro

Choice between Gronk and Graham was an easy one more me. I think the price difference is higher than the ceiling difference between the two. Not worried about early season snap count as Gronk was averaging something like 7 rec for 100 yards in his first 3 games back last year on a "snap count". And even if he is on a snap count, he'll pretty much play every snap in the red zone which is his bread and butter.

Took Kelce due to his upside. Wanted to take Rudolph but had same bye as Gronkowski. This is the one pick I'm not thrilled about, but the price is right and he's shown this preseason that he's capable of the big play.

Added Amaro last minute because I thought I needed a 3rd TE. Think he'll put a decent game or 2 and that's all you really need in this contest for his price tag.

K:

Baily, Zuerlein, Gano

Tried to take kickers capable of kicking 50+ yarders.

Def:

Houston

Oakland

Jacksonville

Defense is pretty much a crap shoot. Think Houston and Oakland offer a nice potential for sacks, which should increase my floor. Jacksonville is a wild card. I think it'll make me unique a bit and with the flukiness of defensive TD's that could be a nice advantage.

Rothlisurger 10

Eli Manning 9

Alex Smith 9

Josh Mccown 8

J. Charles 36

L. McCoy 34

Andre Williams 7

Blount 6

JStewart 5

Polk 5

Hartline 11

Mike Evans 11

Boldin 9

Streater 7

Robert Woods 7

Denarius Moore 5

Kel Benjamin 5

Steve Johnson 5

Tiquan Underwood 4

Donnie Avery 4

Jerrel Jernigan 3

Jimmy Graham

Sturgis 3

Graham 3

Suidham 3

Panthers 4

Saints 4

Steelers 3

Russell Wilson

Philip Rivers

DeMarco Murray

Andre Ellington

DeAngelo Williams

Ahmad Bradshaw

James Starks

Jonathan Stewart

Benny Cunningham

DuJuan Harris

T.Y. Hilton

Terrance Williams

Riley Cooper

Greg Jennings

Harry Douglas

Marqise Lee

Kelvin Benjamin

Markus Wheaton

Nate Washington

Zach Ertz

Heath Miller

Travis Kelce

Timothy Wright

Dan Bailey

Greg Zuerlein

Graham Gano

Houston Texans

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Jets

I hope Roddy stays healthy this year and catches a lot of passes. I originally had Brandon Marshall in his place, but decided to take a chance on Roddy so that I'd have more money to spend in other places. I'm a bit weak at TE, but I'm hoping for a big year from Rudolph. Lewis is healthy to start the year, and being a veteran I'm hoping he will be utilized a lot on a roster that has a lot of youngsters at WR. I'm hoping Amaro the rookie is a quick study, and gets a lot of time on the field. All of those backups in my RB category may or may not be the primary backup, but if the #1 misses time I think they will get carries regardless. I felt they were worth $2 each.

-------------------

Matt Ryan

Russell Wilson

--------------------

Adrian Peterson

Eddie Lacy

Marshawn Lynch

Matt Asiata

DuJuan Harris

Robert Turbin

---------------------

Demaryius Thomas

Dez Bryant

Roddy White

Kelvin Benjamin

Markus Wheaton

Malcom Floyd

Mohamed Sanu

---------------------

Kyle Rudolph

Marcedes Lewis

Jace Amaro

---------------------

Nate Freese

Adam Vinatieri

---------------------

Miami Dolphins

Pittsburgh Steelers

Here is what I am hoping pays off. I am hoping that the 1.5 PPR points will put two TE's in my flex spots each week. I just felt like the value of these guys was better than I felt for the same dollars at the WR position. Might suck but I won't know until I try.

Jimmy Graham NO/6 $30
Rob Gronkowski NE/10 $26
Julius Thomas Den/4 $26
Understand the logic, but with only 1 TE and 1 flex, you'll have a $26 or $30 player not count for you every week. Seems like a lot of lost money. Could pay off of course.

Jimmy Graham NO/6 $30

Rob Gronkowski NE/10 $26

Julius Thomas Den/4 $26
Understand the logic, but with only 1 TE and 1 flex, you'll have a $26 or $30 player not count for you every week. Seems like a lot of lost money. Could pay off of course.
2 flex.

Russell Wilson $15
Ben Roethlisberger $10
Adrian Peterson $30
Knowshon Moreno $13
Devonta Freeman $11
Mark Ingram $9
Robert Turbin $2
Calvin Johnson $31
Demaryius Thomas $29
Antonio Brown $22
Steve Smith $7
Cody Latimer $6
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Mohamed Sanu $3
Jimmy Graham $30
Kyle Rudolph $15
Greg Zuerlein $3
Adam Vinatieri $3
Tennessee Titans $3
Indianapolis Colts $3

:shrug: another year, another strategy...

QB: $26

Romo/11

Cutler/9

Going for the boom/bust potential of a couple of cheap gunslingers, late byes, but different weeks. Cutler is pretty popular with 43% ownership

RB: $86

McCoy/7

Peterson/10

Deangelo Williams/12

Jonathan Stewart/12

Andre Williams/10

Really riding the thoroughbreds here with Peterson and McCoy, Carolina RBs provide a 3rd RB, and Andre Williams is just potential - still no issues with multiple key players on the same bye week, Peterson/McCoy combo only owned by 2.6%

WR: $35

Hunter/9

Woods/9

Lattimer/4

Benjamin/12

Wheaton/12

Sanu/4

Completely punted this position. Every single one is a risk, and this will be my downfall. But, for the most part, I expect both starting WRs to be the equivalent of Flex plays each week, with 6 WRs, and no fewer than 4 every week, I just need a couple of them to hit each week - it won't happen, but that was the thought process.

TE: $82

Graham/6

Gronkowski/10

Thomas/4

Shot the wad here, 1 of 14 teams to go with the big-3 TEs - obviously my chances of advancement rest with the health and productivity of these guys. All are on prolific offenses, so my hope is they all have a very high floor each week. Up to this point, the only real Bye week issue is now having Gronk and Peterson out in week 10, otherwise, I am really only missing a single "key starter" each week.

Kickers: $10

Crosby

Janikowski

Graham

3 kickers, 3 different bye weeks :shrug:

Team D: $10

Saints

Giants

Lions

ditto

Overall, fairly unique because of the 3 TEs, only two players over 30% ownership, several studs who can carry the team, but no WR that I can count on each week. I probably should have opted for at least one consistent performer at WR, and gone with a cheaper 3rd TE. Such is life.

Good luck everyone!

Jimmy Graham NO/6 $30
Rob Gronkowski NE/10 $26
Julius Thomas Den/4 $26
:hifive:

QB

Romo - $14

Cutler - $12

Went with these 2 because on any given week either of them can put up a monster week. They aren't as consistent as the top tier guys, but the weekly potential is just as great and in a best ball format I liked them together. Even their combined cost was less than Manning or Brees.

RB

Martin - $24

Rice - $18

Jackson - $12

A Williams - $7

McCluster - $7

Stewart - $5

I felt like Martin was the best value of the top tier guys, think Rice will be better than his price after week 4 and the rest of the guys have the ability to contribute on a weekly basis and a couple of them are an injury away from RB2 status. I went deeper this year at RB than in past years.

WR

Thomas - $29

Wallace - $19

Randle - $ - $14

M Evans - $11

Benjamin - $5

Sanu - $3

My first few runs had bye week issues late in the year, so I specifically targeted early byes with my top 2 guys (Thomas wk 4, Wallace wk 5). After that, I looked for value plays for guys who have the potential to be much better than their price.

TE

Graham - $30

Eifert - $12

Kelce - $8

I really wanted to get Wright on here, but fell asleep last night before I had a chance to. Otherwise, I felt like Graham was worth the cost, Eifert and Kelce have a chance to contribute at flex on any given week which is why I think it is foolish to go with anything less than 3 TEs.

PK

Zuerlein - $3

Vinatieri - $3

Gano - $3

Bargain bin guys. Too much inconsistency from PKs to spend more than the minimum, but you also need 3, IMO.

TD

KC - $5

DAL - $3

IND - $3

Same idea as PK, but had extra $2 so I upgraded to KC.

Here's mine, went with the stud route

Russell Wilson: $15
Jay Cutler: $12
Geno Smith: $7

I've got Wilson on my fantasy team, so synced this up
Montee Ball: $29
Eddie Lacy: $28
Carlos Hyde: $10
Shonn Greene: $6

Benny Cunningham :$3

I'm not sure Stacy is the man, I hate greene, but someone is running theball there and its probably him, hyde is my oh yeah pick you need to win this thing..
Dez Bryant $27
Antonio Brown $22

Julian Edelman $17
Kelvin Benjamin $5
Mohamed Sanu $3

Went with sanu for the early work he will get with Jones out, Brown and Edleman will the be PPR portion of my wr's
Jimmy Graham $30
Zach Ertz $13
Heath Miller $10

Looking at this position to carry my flex with the 1.5 pts
Blair Walsh $3
Nick Folk $3
Carolina Panthers $4
New York Jets $3

Feel free to poo poo my team.

If you insist. I like it other than here; I think you're waaaay to thin at WR and that you missed out on some good cheap guys (Benjamin, Wheaton, Lattimer). There are going to be weeks where you're relying on 3 WR3 guys on mediocre offences as must counts. Too much risk imo.
Yup....I hear you. It is a definite concern and weakness.

My thought was that it is only 2 weeks (5/12). My hope/strategy is that with the amount of high dollar guys I have, that a few of them have monster weeks together and negate the worry of taking say a score of 4.4 at my WR2 spot. My team will live and die with my flex scoring.

Users who are viewing this thread