What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Rookie RB Class, Who's the BEST? (2 Viewers)

tdmills said:
ZWK said:
Gordon & Ajayi are the only two that I've really watched video on, and I like them both a lot. Based on my charting, they both have elusiveness numbers that are better than anyone in the 2013 or 2014 draft classes except for Eddie Lacy & Dri Archer (Gordon also shines in Peshek's elusiveness numbers). I would put them both in the same tier as my top 2 RB prospects in this year's class (Seastrunk & Hyde); not sure about the order.

I haven't formed strong impressions yet on the rest of the 2015+ draft classes, but going strictly by the numbers (college stats, listed size, nflds projected 40 time), Yeldon & Gurley stand out ahead of the pack and the rest rank in this order:

Byron Marshall

Mike Davis

Terrence Magee

Duke Johnson

Corey Grant

Javorius Allen

Kenneth Dixon

Tevin Coleman

Karlos Williams

Thomas Tyner

Shock Linwood

Ameer Abdullah
Some of those players aren't 2015 eligible
Thomas Tyner is the only one not 2015-eligible.

To me, Jonathan Gray belongs in this conversation. Just assuming you guys are down on him due to the knee. Might come on strong 2nd half of the year or do we think he'll stay in college now so he can have a full season his senior year?
He had an Achilles
Yup, Achilles injury is basically a career-ender, worse than an torn ACL.
didn't demaryus Thomas have an Achilles?
He's not a RB, though.

To me, Jonathan Gray belongs in this conversation. Just assuming you guys are down on him due to the knee. Might come on strong 2nd half of the year or do we think he'll stay in college now so he can have a full season his senior year?
He had an Achilles
He's not a RB, though.
Mikel Leshoure case and point

He had an Achilles
He's not a RB, though.
And point at what?

He had an Achilles
He's not a RB, though.
And point at what?
How it robs a player of explosiveness. Leshoure didn't have much yo give in the 1st place.

He had an Achilles
He's not a RB, though.
And point at what?
How it robs a player of explosiveness. Leshoure didn't have much yo give in the 1st place.
:whoosh:

Leshoure didn't play a down in the league before he popped his Achilles, so it's impossible to say that the injury robbed him of his talent. Maybe he was just mediocre in the first place. We'll never know because we don't have any pre-Achilles NFL work to compare with his post-Achilles NFL work.

Demaryius looks as good as he ever did. Jury's still out on Crabtree, but he showed flashes of his old self last season less than a year out from his injury.

Sports medicine is getting so good that almost no injury is a career-ender at this point. I'd certainly rather see a prospect get an ACL than an Achilles, but wouldn't rule out the possibility of a guy like Gray making a full recovery.

Look at Andre Brown for an Achilles recovery. Although that might not have been a full tear, as I believe Demaryious, Suggs, and Crabtree weren't full tears.

Injury aside, I never saw 5* level talent in Gray. He looked like Mike Gillislee at best.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Look at Andre Brown for an Achilles recovery. Although that might not have been a full tear, as I believe Demaryious, Suggs, and Crabtree weren't full tears.
Exactly, partial tears is completely different from full tears.

On top of that, How do we know demaryius is the same athletically? He was a great athlete before, maybe he's just good now but is masked by Peyton Manning.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Exactly, partial tears is completely different from full tears.

On top of that, How do we know demaryius is the same athletically? He was a great athlete before, maybe he's just good now but is masked by Peyton Manning.
No, he's clearly a freak still.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Exactly, partial tears is completely different from full tears. On top of that, How do we know demaryius is the same athletically? He was a great athlete before, maybe he's just good now but is masked by Peyton Manning.
No, he's clearly a freak still.
I'm not disagreeing. But let's say a partial tear robs a player of 5% of athletic ability and a full tear robs a player of 15%. Would we notice if DT is 5% less explosive, but developed as a wr and help from Peyton? Just a philosophical question I guess.

Anyway, back to 2015 rbs. I like Gray, but I don't know how much of a difference maker he is as a rb. He's decent at most things, but not good or great at any one thing.

Put all these pretty argument stats aside and watch these guys on the field and to me it's pretty clear: yeldon will be the cream of the crop in this class. Being an nfl is about many things that are not measured and these Alabama RBs WITH a lot of talent come in very well prepared and are used to doing the things that others must learn and refine once they get into the league.

On the right team, yeldon will be dangerous.

Put all these pretty argument stats aside and watch these guys on the field and to me it's pretty clear: yeldon will be the cream of the crop in this class. Being an nfl is about many things that are not measured and these Alabama RBs WITH a lot of talent come in very well prepared and are used to doing the things that others must learn and refine once they get into the league.

Watching Alabama games and on the field, Yeldon isn't even the best RB on his own team.

My rankings of the top guys right now;

Todd Gurley - best RB prospect since AP.

Melvin Gordon - better than any RB in tha past 2 drafts.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
If Gurley and Gordon were in this draft (2014) would they be your highest ranked RBs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
If Gurley and Gordon were in this draft (2014) would they be your highest ranked RBs?
In my opinion, yes by a wide margin.
I Agree as well, I probably have Davis, ajayi, and yeldon ahead of everyone in the 2014 class as well.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
I Agree as well, I probably have Davis, ajayi, and yeldon ahead of everyone in the 2014 class as well.
Agree on Davis. Ajayi I'm not sure yet. Yeldon I disagree. He looks like a 3rd round guy to me.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Agree on Davis. Ajayi I'm not sure yet. Yeldon I disagree. He looks like a 3rd round guy to me.
Im a sucker for Rbs that are 220, but run in the 4.4's.

Watching Alabama games and on the field, Yeldon isn't even the best RB on his own team.
Is this a discussion about Yelson's teammates? Is that teammate coming out next year with Yeldon?

Scottie pippen was on the same team as Michael Jordan. It did not take away form the fact that Scottie Pippen was a great player.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Probably a good thing you don't get paid to scout Rbs then.

Not that I do either, or should, but I see no reason to make a statement that separates these guys by that wide a margin because that is hardly ever the reality. Unless Gurley is ADP or Emmitt Smith, the reality is these guys will be pretty close, depending largely on where they land, and some will shine in some ways while others will in a different way.

The truth is, even with what is known by the "experts", its still a bit of a crapshoot. Since ADP came out (the last, true slam dunk consensus), the only other person that has come out with the type of hype/separation from the rest of the pack is Trent Richardson and that hasn't panned out. The Rb that has demonstrated in fantasy to have that much separation from the rest of his classmates is Arian Foster and he was overlooked by everyone.

Point being: None of us are qualified to say "looks like a 3rd rounder" etc. But on their college production, the divide is not anywhere nearly that large and shouldn't be.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Probably a good thing you don't get paid to scout Rbs then. Not that I do either, or should, but I see no reason to make a statement that separates these guys by that wide a margin because that is hardly ever the reality. Unless Gurley is ADP or Emmitt Smith, the reality is these guys will be pretty close, depending largely on where they land, and some will shine in some ways while others will in a different way.

The truth is, even with what is known by the "experts", its still a bit of a crapshoot. Since ADP came out (the last, true slam dunk consensus), the only other person that has come out with the type of hype/separation from the rest of the pack is Trent Richardson and that hasn't panned out. The Rb that has demonstrated in fantasy to have that much separation from the rest of his classmates is Arian Foster and he was overlooked by everyone.

Point being: None of us are qualified to say "looks like a 3rd rounder" etc. But on their college production, the divide is not anywhere nearly that large and shouldn't be.
I really have no idea what your point is here. The fact of the matter is this is a thread about our opinions on the 2015 RBs. I offered some of mine. You don't like it? Ok, but we are all entitled to out opinions. How this works out will be determined in a years time.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
What do people not like about yeldon?

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Been burned by Alabama RBs twice recently?

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Lacy a burn? for the record I like Yeldon

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Lacy a burn? for the record I like Yeldon
Oh I do too, but Ingram and T Rich haven't been very nice to those who drafted them with a top 2 or 3 rookie pick. Lacy was obviously the exception.

Ajayi lost his job this past year cause he had a bad case of fumbleitis. He only got it back because Baltazar had a season ending injury. Good news for Ajayi is that Baltazar transfered.

Maybe he can correct the problem this year?

Ajayi lost his job this past year cause he had a bad case of fumbleitis. He only got it back because Baltazar had a season ending injury. Good news for Ajayi is that Baltazar transfered.

Baltazar didn't have more carries than Ajayi in any game all season last year, and he only had more than 11 carries once in 5 games. Ajayi never "lost the job".

Is this a discussion about Yelson's teammates? Is that teammate coming out next year with Yeldon?

Scottie pippen was on the same team as Michael Jordan. It did not take away form the fact that Scottie Pippen was a great player.
Pippen and Jordan are completely different players. Yeldon is a RB and Henry is a RB. They both get used similarly. Pippen was a great passer/facilitator and great defender. Jordan is one of the greatest pure scorers who ever played the game. Pippen is to Jordan as Iguodala was to Iverson.

I said before last season Yeldon won't be even the best RB on his own team before Henry ever stepped foot onto the field: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=666153&page=5#entry15570966

I think the good news for Ajayi is that no one else is even close to as talented as he is. He's not a middling talent. Even Yeldon got benched for a few series before because of fumbles.

Baltazar didn't have more carries than Ajayi in any game all season last year, and he only had more than 11 carries once in 5 games. Ajayi never "lost the job".
welp, I know this.. I drafted Ajayi for a college fantasy football league. I dropped him for Baltazar cause he was getting the ball (and points) due to Ajayi's fumbling issue. He also lost time in the game due to his fumbling issues. Baltazar did start games over Ajayi. But (due to me picking him up) Baltazar got hurt early in the season and it was Ajayi's game from there on.

I think the good news for Ajayi is that no one else is even close to as talented as he is. He's not a middling talent. Even Yeldon got benched for a few series before because of fumbles.
No doubt. Both are talented but both have issues.

Yeldon had an undisclosed ankle injury for the last half of the season. He was hurting but played through the pain. Henry is a beast but he was also fresh.

tdmills said:

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
The better question is what makes Yeldon different from or better than James Wilder and/or Javorius Allen?

tdmills said:

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
The better question is what makes Yeldon different from or better than James Wilder and/or Javorius Allen?
He ran for over 1000 yards at 6 ypc two years in a row in the sec with stiff competition.

I thought Yeldon would refine his wild running style, lower his pad level a bit and become a more economic runner, but he didn't. I'm lower on him now than I was a year ago.

tdmills said:

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
He ran for over 1000 yards at 6 ypc two years in a row in the sec with stiff competition.
This reason is good enough for you? If this is your best reason, then you might as well just scout the boxscores. How much of that can be attributed to the O-line?

Here are the career YPC of the most recent and current Alabama RBs:

Mark Ingram 5.7Trent Richardson 5.8Eddie Lacy 6.8Kenyan Drake 7.3Derrick Henry 10.6I think it's safe to say, you have to give that Offensive line some credit for their college success, and with this trend that O-line might be getting even better, especially when you have OJ Howard being able to outrun the RBs and block in the second level.

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
Im a sucker for Rbs that are 220, but run in the 4.4's.
Does this mean you're a sucker for Keith Marshall? 5'11 219, 4.3 40.

tdmills said:

Mike Davis

Duke Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Karlos Williams

T.J. Yeldon
This reason is good enough for you? If this is your best reason, then you might as well just scout the boxscores. How much of that can be attributed to the O-line?

Mark Ingram 5.7Trent Richardson 5.8Eddie Lacy 6.8Kenyan Drake 7.3Derrick Henry 10.6I think it's safe to say, you have to give that Offensive line some credit for their college success, and with this trend that O-line might be getting even better, especially when you have OJ Howard being able to outrun the RBs and block in the second level.
That was the quickest I could give at work...I think u know me well enough to know I have more reasons then that. But I'm not after mine...I'm after others reasons for or against yeldon.

Alabama lost 60% of their OLine prior to the draft last year (Warmack, Jones, Fluker). Two of which were Top 10 picks. Are you telling me that their offensive line got BETTER from 2012 to 2013?

With the loss of those 3 guys, Yeldon's YPC dropped all the way to 6.0 from 6.3! And as someone mentioned earlier, Yeldon played on a bum wheel much of the 2nd half of the season.

This situation with Yeldon/Henry is similar to Ingram/Richardson IMO. Even while both were still in school, Richardson was touted as the better RB. That didn't stop both from being 1st round picks. That may very well happen here too.

ETA: Under the guise of touting Henry, it seems as if you just like to bust on Yeldon. You don't like him and that's fine. I just don't know what your angle is here. Pumping up Henry or tearing down Yeldon? Because you aren't doing a very good job of selling either.

I mean, I can appreciate someone calling their shots, but you don't have to beat that shot over our heads. Seems like you just want something to point to in a year or two, in the event that you are right.

Marshall is a better prospect than Yeldon IMO.
Marshall does have something special. Would have loved to have seen more of him.
Sounds like he may sit out 2014 given the torn ACL.http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24511990/georgias-keith-marshall-may-redshirt-the-2014-season
That would be a shame.
It makes sense though.

1) he will be healthier in 2015

2) he won't have the best rb in the country to compete for carries

Alabama lost 60% of their OLine prior to the draft last year (Warmack, Jones, Fluker). Two of which were Top 10 picks. Are you telling me that their offensive line got BETTER from 2012 to 2013?

With the loss of those 3 guys, Yeldon's YPC dropped all the way to 6.0 from 6.3! And as someone mentioned earlier, Yeldon played on a bum wheel much of the 2nd half of the season.

This situation with Yeldon/Henry is similar to Ingram/Richardson IMO. Even while both were still in school, Richardson was touted as the better RB. That didn't stop both from being 1st round picks. That may very well happen here too.

ETA: Under the guise of touting Henry, it seems as if you just like to bust on Yeldon. You don't like him and that's fine. I just don't know what your angle is here. Pumping up Henry or tearing down Yeldon? Because you aren't doing a very good job of selling either.

I mean, I can appreciate someone calling their shots, but you don't have to beat that shot over our heads. Seems like you just want something to point to in a year or two, in the event that you are right.
And they continue to recruit top shelf talent every year. They got the #1 OT 2014 HS prospect in Cameron Robinson (5*).

You must have missed the part where I also mentioned TE OJ Howard. Do you even watch Alabama? Howard gets upfield so quickly to block at the second level. That's a huge advantage when your RBs will most often not outrun your TE.

I don't need to sell Henry. It is clear he is more talented than Yeldon. And I don't need to tear down Yeldon either. Anyone who doesn't want to lie to themself can see what he is.

And they continue to recruit top shelf talent every year. They got the #1 OT 2014 HS prospect in Cameron Robinson (5*).

You must have missed the part where I also mentioned TE OJ Howard. Do you even watch Alabama? Howard gets upfield so quickly to block at the second level. That's a huge advantage when your RBs will most often not outrun your TE.

I don't need to sell Henry. It is clear he is more talented than Yeldon. And I don't need to tear down Yeldon either. Anyone who doesn't want to lie to themself can see what he is.
So you know more than every outlet that has Yeldon pegged as a 1st round pick and those that rated him as the #2 running back recruit in the nation coming out of high school. You are telling me I should ignore all of them and listen to you, yet you don't offer up any reasons as to why Yeldon isn't good other than "he's not even the best RB on his team." It's a weak argument.

Although I doubt it, I sure hope this act is hubris instead of an inflated ego.

Users who are viewing this thread