What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2015 San Diego Chargers - Offseason News, Notes, & Analysis*** (2 Viewers)

Anyone know why Attaochu and Carrethers were inactive yesterday? Those are two guys who expected/supposed to be starters.

Donald Brown was also inactive, which is fine with me, but he is awfully highly paid to be inactive and not contributing. They probably could have waived him and re-signed him for less money if he is just going to be an insurance guy.

I think we got lucky there. Could have been a season ender. Still sucks.

Any word on Barksdale?

I can't believe this is happening again - seems like this has gone on for the last seven years straight. We keep getting robbed of seeing what Rivers could do with something like an actual NFL offensive line. Which is really a shame this year because this could be the best group of WR/TE/RBs Rivers has had since Gates/Tomlinson/Sproles were in their primes.

I don't think Rivers got sacked once yesterday. I can remember a couple of pressures, but nothing too serious.

Game stats say the Lions had 2 sacks. Somehow I don't remember them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know why Attaochu and Carrethers were inactive yesterday? Those are two guys who expected/supposed to be starters.

Donald Brown was also inactive, which is fine with me, but he is awfully highly paid to be inactive and not contributing. They probably could have waived him and re-signed him for less money if he is just going to be an insurance guy.
I think Attaochu was scratched when they decided to let Green play and thus had 4 TEs active. Emmanuel has taken Attaochu's gig it looks like. Not sure about the other two.

Interesting that Inman was inactive and not Tyrell this week.

It looked bleak early and I was first in line to shovel dirt on these fools but they looked good in the second half. Green had some nice clutch grabs and the rb committee was ok. Weddle is still pretty good! I will continue to dread the blocking and the pass rush, but feeling positive for now.

I think Attaochu was scratched when they decided to let Green play and thus had 4 TEs active. Emmanuel has taken Attaochu's gig it looks like. Not sure about the other two.Interesting that Inman was inactive and not Tyrell this week.
If Attaochu was a healthy scratch, that is a terrible sign for his prospects. Same for Carrethers. That's why I asked.

Not as big a deal for Inman, since it is a deep position, though I agree it is interesting Inman was the odd man out.

Attaochu would have started if he'd been healthy. His hamstring kept him out.

Emanuel played well enough that he probably shouldn't give the starting job back.

Brown, Carrethers, and Inman were healthy scratches.

Big win today boys. Emmanuel is the truth - looks like we struck gold there. Verrett was fantastic today; he and Ingram will make the Pro Bowl if they stay healthy.
Emmanuel only played 62% of defensive snaps and he had 2 tackles, a sack, and an INT. It will be tough keeping him out of the lineup going forward. Heard great things about him preseason but wanted to remain cautiously optimistic. 5th rounder.

Meanwhile Teo/Perryman/Attaochu (three 2nd rounders + two 4th rounders) combined for 3 tackles. Still too early to tell on that group.

We can agree to disagree on Peyton. He passed for 4727 yards and 39 TDs last season, led his team to a 12-4 regular season record and division title, and was a Pro Bowler. He got hurt at some point late in the season and it affected his play. But I don't see how that isn't a franchise QB season.
And you ignore Elway asking Peyton to take a $10mil paycut after a "franchise QB" year....

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-24/peyton-manning-broncos-trade-rumors-10-million-paycut-texans

... has a franchise quarterback ever been asked to take a cut in pay of $10mil in the history of football? How much more do you know about Manning than Elway does?
Your stance on this is ridiculous. I'll just agree to disagree about it at this point.
John Elway looking pretty smart at the moment. Manning doesn't look like a franchise QB to me. When are you thinking he might be healthy?

BoltBacker said:
We can agree to disagree on Peyton. He passed for 4727 yards and 39 TDs last season, led his team to a 12-4 regular season record and division title, and was a Pro Bowler. He got hurt at some point late in the season and it affected his play. But I don't see how that isn't a franchise QB season.
And you ignore Elway asking Peyton to take a $10mil paycut after a "franchise QB" year....

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-24/peyton-manning-broncos-trade-rumors-10-million-paycut-texans

... has a franchise quarterback ever been asked to take a cut in pay of $10mil in the history of football? How much more do you know about Manning than Elway does?
Your stance on this is ridiculous. I'll just agree to disagree about it at this point.
John Elway looking pretty smart at the moment. Manning doesn't look like a franchise QB to me. When are you thinking he might be healthy?
You are barking up the wrong tree. I'm comfortable that we can take a poll on whether or not last season for Manning qualified as a franchise QB season, and there would be few, if any, others on your island with you saying it wasn't. Why are you bringing this up now? Suggest you move on.

Attaochu would have started if he'd been healthy. His hamstring kept him out.

Emanuel played well enough that he probably shouldn't give the starting job back.

Brown, Carrethers, and Inman were healthy scratches.
What do you read into Carrethers being a healthy inactive? Wasn't it supposedly the fact that Carrethers looked so good last season before getting hurt that was part of the justification for Telesco not giving significant attention to the DL this offseason?

Has Carrethers regressed? Or was that talk that he was looking so good last season just lip service?

IMO this is a big deal, at least for anyone who expected Carrethers to be a big factor this season.

IMO this is a big deal, at least for anyone who expected Carrethers to be a big factor this season.
Does that person exist?
Posters in this very thread cited him as a reason that Telesco didn't feel compelled to address DT/NT this offseason. Pretty sure MT was one of them without going back to find the posts.

Heck, I'm pretty sure you were counting him as a positive for Telesco when we had the exchange over how well Telesco has drafted.

Does that person exist?
Posters in this very thread cited him as a reason that Telesco didn't feel compelled to address DT/NT this offseason. Pretty sure MT was one of them without going back to find the posts.

Heck, I'm pretty sure you were counting him as a positive for Telesco when we had the exchange over how well Telesco has drafted.
Perhaps it's simply a semantical disagreement. I'd be surprised if any poster felt that Carrethers was a top 15-20 factor for the 2016 season.

Does that person exist?

Perhaps it's simply a semantical disagreement. I'd be surprised if any poster felt that Carrethers was a top 15-20 factor for the 2016 season.
Bottom line, NT is the weakest position on the roster.

And that was true entering the offseason. One of the reasons most commonly cited in an effort to explain/defend that Telesco did not significantly address the position in the offseason was that supposedly the team was excited about Carrethers. The clear implication was that he was going to be a big factor and a likely starter.

Now we see he was a healthy inactive in week 1. It's a long season, so hopefully this game isn't indicative of the rest of his season. But it seems that the team's optimism over his development last season was overstated. Which brings us back to why Telesco purposely bypassed the position in the first 3 rounds of this year's draft and purposely ignored signing any veteran DT/NT players who were available.

It's hard to take much from a one game sample, but we will see after a few games if the Chargers terrible run defense from last season is any better.

Now, is that "semantical"? You decide.

BoltBacker said:
Big win today boys. Emmanuel is the truth - looks like we struck gold there. Verrett was fantastic today; he and Ingram will make the Pro Bowl if they stay healthy.
Emmanuel only played 62% of defensive snaps and he had 2 tackles, a sack, and an INT. It will be tough keeping him out of the lineup going forward. Heard great things about him preseason but wanted to remain cautiously optimistic. 5th rounder.

Meanwhile Teo/Perryman/Attaochu (three 2nd rounders + two 4th rounders) combined for 3 tackles. Still too early to tell on that group.
I liked what I saw of Perryman in preseason. I don't know that he got many reps on defense this week - where can you find snap count info? I think there's a chance he could take one of the starting ILB jobs eventually. Teo is just a guy, maybe not even that. Need to see more of Attaochu before I write him off. They need him around for when Ingram gets hurt.

BoltBacker said:

I liked what I saw of Perryman in preseason. I don't know that he got many reps on defense this week - where can you find snap count info? I think there's a chance he could take one of the starting ILB jobs eventually. Teo is just a guy, maybe not even that. Need to see more of Attaochu before I write him off. They need him around for when Ingram gets hurt.
http://nflgsis.com/fset_Schedule.asp

He got zero snaps on defense, only played on special teams. Te'o, Flowers, Verrett, and Ingram played 100% of the defensive snaps! I wonder what the odds are that continues.

You are barking up the wrong tree. I'm comfortable that we can take a poll on whether or not last season for Manning qualified as a franchise QB season, and there would be few, if any, others on your island with you saying it wasn't. Why are you bringing this up now? Suggest you move on.
I bring it up because I thought you were trying to say the reason Manning went down the tubes in November is because he got hurt. If he was hurt then I would assume after an entire offseason he would be something resembling healthy now. He hasn't played like a franchise QB since... early NOV '14 against the oakland raiders?

I don't mind being on an island with John Elway in thinking Peyton Manning hasn't played like a franchise quarterback in about 11 months. How many people are on the island with you and think he just needs to get healthy to be a top 5 quarterback? It's almost as if quarterbacks approaching 40yo stay healthy less frequently than younger quarterbacks.

I'll take your suggestion under advisement.

Does that person exist?

Sometimes a GM makes his feelings known loudly and clearly not so much through words but his actions.... or inaction.

I bring it up because I thought you were trying to say the reason Manning went down the tubes in November is because he got hurt. If he was hurt then I would assume after an entire offseason he would be something resembling healthy now. He hasn't played like a franchise QB since... early NOV '14 against the oakland raiders?

I don't mind being on an island with John Elway in thinking Peyton Manning hasn't played like a franchise quarterback in about 11 months. How many people are on the island with you and think he just needs to get healthy to be a top 5 quarterback? It's almost as if quarterbacks approaching 40yo stay healthy less frequently than younger quarterbacks.

I'll take your suggestion under advisement.
That's not my island. You are making stuff up to fit a strawman you created.

Go back to the original discussion. IMO you took a stupid stance that the Rivers contract was a poor one because it extends him to such an old age, leading to conversation about great QB seasons at older ages. You then took the ridiculous stance that Peyton's season last year was not a franchise QB season. It doesn't matter if he got better this year and beyond. Your original stance was wrong. Which means your stance that was actually relevant to this thread was wrong. :shrug:

Who gives a #### what Elway does with Manning now? Why do you feel it is relevant to this thread?

As I already said, long ago, I agree to disagree with you. Move on.

Check out how open Ladarius Green is on the pick six Rivers throws in the second quarter of the Detroit game. That's a 70 yard TD Rivers missed. Not just that play but open a lot and not even getting looked at by Rivers. So frustrating. The guy's a star.

Check out how open Ladarius Green is on the pick six Rivers throws in the second quarter of the Detroit game. That's a 70 yard TD Rivers missed. Not just that play but open a lot and not even getting looked at by Rivers. So frustrating. The guy's a star.
You're right, both LBs drifted with Allen and Green went right by them going left. But Rivers' first read on that play was to Johnson in the right flat who was blanketed, so then he progresses to Allen coming across. I assume Green would've been his third read, but he felt he could get the 1 yard for the first down with Allen. I'd be willing to bet he hits Green on a similar play in an upcoming game on a 2nd and short, especially if defenses lean towards Allen like that.

ETA: link to video of the play, http://a.video.nfl.com/films/2015/NFL_COM/in-game-highlight/NFLCOM/REG/1/150913_quin_interception_31_yard_td_292715_700k.mp4

ETA2: It was Johnson (88) in the flat, not Gordon (28).

Yeah that's the problem Gates is Rivers 1st or 2nd read but when Gates is out and Green starts he's the 3rd or 4th read. He was open a ton last Sunday. Open on a lot of shorter routes too plus some up the seem routes (with a 5'9 DB on him) and was even open in the Red Zone on the play where Rivers tried to throw some kind of back shoulder fade to Woodhead. He still had a great day but he could have had a lot bigger day.

Carrethers is a healthy inactive again, despite the fact that 3 players who were active last week are inactive this week due to injuries (Jacoby Jones, Fluker, Addae). Again, it doesn't look like he should have been cited as a reason Telesco ignored NT this offseason.

Donald Brown is also inactive again. While I don't want to see him playing, it's hard to believe San Diego is paying him $3M this season ($4M cap hit) to sit out.

Carrethers is a healthy inactive again, despite the fact that 3 players who were active last week are inactive this week due to injuries (Jacoby Jones, Fluker, Addae). Again, it doesn't look like he should have been cited as a reason Telesco ignored NT this offseason.

Donald Brown is also inactive again. While I don't want to see him playing, it's hard to believe San Diego is paying him $3M this season ($4M cap hit) to sit out.
Carrethers obviously didn't step up as Telesco and the Chargers had hoped. As a GM, you can't fix every hole, and you have to roll the dice at times.

I don't get the point. Are you suggesting Telesco is a stupid GM?

Keenan Allen have seen better days. As has the OL. Fluker needs to get back ASAP.

Very poor execution today all around. Positive signs were Gordon, Perryman on special teams, and the defensive backfield other than Flowers.

Carrethers obviously didn't step up as Telesco and the Chargers had hoped. As a GM, you can't fix every hole, and you have to roll the dice at times.

I don't get the point. Are you suggesting Telesco is a stupid GM?
Telesco has a mixed record so far. He has done some good things and has failed at other things. One of the areas he has failed at is improving the DL. Why is this so hard for you to admit?

Lousy performance today.

Unsurprisingly, the run defense was shredded. I say unsurprisingly since Telesco didn't do anything this offseason to address the run defense other than draft Perryman, except Perryman isn't playing on defense. Actually, since Johnson retired, I suppose the net expectation should be that the run defense will be worse, and the season has certainly started out that way.

Meanwhile, Flowers was torched for 3 TDs. The first one was just a great play by the offense, but he was soundly beaten on the other two. This definitely gives pause to the idea that the Chargers secondary was one of the strengths of the team. I mean, they weren't playing Aaron Rodgers today. (He comes later in the schedule.)

Special teams was a disaster. Muffed punt gave the Bengals a possession in the red zone which turned into a TD, and they later missed a FG.

Coaching wasn't great, either. WTF with letting the clock run out in the first half without forcing the Bengals to punt?

The offense also struggled at times, mostly the OL. Hairston was a disaster replacing Fluker. He almost had me pining for Troutman. :X

So many unforced errors yesterday. Bad clock management by the coaches and Rivers (dear Phil, don't waste a timeout to avoid a delay of game penalty when it's 3rd and 6 on your own 7 yard line in the middle of the 3rd quarter). Turns out that wasted timeout probably didn't matter because of the INT, but who knows.

Gordon looked good - but then they stopped using him from about the middle of the 3rd on it seemed like. Their run blocking wasn't so hot I guess.

You'd think teams would eventually figure out they should just run the ball down the Chargers' throats continuously. I guess most NFL teams aren't set up to operate that way.

It's a shame, that was a winnable game. What's with Allen's hands?

You'd think teams would eventually figure out they should just run the ball down the Chargers' throats continuously.
Or throw to whoever Flowers is covering...
He really stunk it up yesterday. Seems like he's usually not that bad though.

That said, the Chargers also put zero pressure on Dalton. 26 pass attempts, 0 sacks. If Hill didn't cough it up twice, the score probably would have been uglier. You can credit the D with those fumbles, but apart from that the D didn't really do a whole lot out there.

From Bolts & Dolts: Keenan Allen, Mike McCoy hand Bengals a victory:

Mike McCoy

Oh, man. Let us count all of the ways in which Mike McCoy gave this one away.

First of all, why was Ryan Carrethers inactive? Was it crucial that Adrian Phillips be on the field? The Cincinnati Bengals ran the ball over and over and over and over, right at Sean Lissemore (who played terribly) and the Inside Linebackers (see the thing above about Te'o), and it resulted in a first down basically whenever they wanted one. Carrethers exists solely to make it harder for opposing offenses to run the ball up the gut, and McCoy left him on the bench because....he was afraid of Andy Dalton?

Second, the lack of a timeout at the end of the first half. Try to read these tweets without your head exploding.

I asked McCoy why no time outs at the end of the half. Sure enough, he said he had confidence in the offense starting the 3rd quarter.

— Derek Togerson (@DerekNBCSD) September 20, 2015
I followed up with why not let Philip take a shot. His respons: "I made the decision I made."

— Derek Togerson (@DerekNBCSD) September 20, 2015
Let's ignore the stubbornness of McCoy, and the arrogance he has when he blatantly states that he doesn't have to defend or explain his awful decision. Let's focus on the decision itself.

McCoy said that the rest he didn't give his offense a chance to score points at the end of the first half is because he was confident that they would score points in the second half....

Okay, hold on.

Mike McCoy said, in no uncertain terms, "I didn't want to give my team a chance to score 14 points because I had confidence that we would score 7 points." Excuse me for going all caps lock for a second, but THE CHARGERS WERE LOSING WHEN HE MADE THIS DECISION.

Not only did McCoy not understand that the point of a football game is to score more points than his opponent, he also did not seem to understand that the Bengals would also be trying to score points in the second half.

What. The. ####.

You can blame the Chargers players all day for this loss, and there will be plenty of that going on, but at the end of the day the coach is responsible for putting them in a position where good execution equals out to a victory. Not only did McCoy not put them in that position, he literally was handed that option and decided to throw it in the trash instead of taking it. And this was after his team went 31 yards on their previous offensive drive, so it's not as though he thought there was no hope of moving the ball.

Is McCoy a mole? Was he trying to prove a point? Is he trying to tank in hopes that Los Angeles won't want the Chargers anymore? McCoy is too smart of a guy for this to be a thing that has happened, and it's not as though it's the first time he's made this call. In 2013, it was almost a regular thing, and back then I said that it was McCoy and Whisenhunt protecting Rivers from himself, trying to keep him from throwing picks (like he did at the end of the half in Week 1). Maybe that was still the case here, but that argument holds a lot less water when your team is losing.

Mike McCoy may be an excellent coach Monday through Saturday, but he is easily one of the worst coaches in the entire league on Sunday. Easily. If you're wondering why his team can never get past 9-7 when they have oodles of talent, this is why. He's no better than Norv Turner on Sundays.

McCoy did a ton of other things wrong in this game. Kicking a 32 yard field goal on 4th & 1 from the Cincinnati 14 yard line when your team is down by 4 points? That's stupid. However, it doesn't compare to the stupidity of giving up an offensive opportunity because you don't really feel like trying to score points. That's a fireable offense.
I feel like I have generally held a lower opinion of McCoy than most Chargers fans, at least most in this forum. But this post is spot on IMO.

Do the Chargers practice a punt block? I mean an all out punt rush going for the block? Surely they practice that. So, worst case, why not call timeout and go for a block? Heck, if the concern was Allen muffing another one, instruct him to fair catch. If the concern was Rivers throwing a pick, why not just hand the ball to Gordon a time or two? It's not like he had 3 runs of 20+ yards in the game... oh wait, he did. If the concern was a personal foul for hitting the punter, CIN would still have been quite a bit out of FG range with no timeouts.

Besides which, all of those possible reasons to let the clock run out amount to coaching scared. I mean, is he confident in his team? Is he confident that he and his staff have properly coached them up? WTF?

:thumbdown:

I am a proponent of McCoy in general, but that is reasonable criticism. Of course I think you could make a case for nearly every NFL coach being too conservative at times. I liked the fact he had nearly a 50/50 pass run ratio despite being behind. Like JWB said, lot's of blame to go around on the team from top to bottom.

Bengals are just a better team than SD. Full stop. The one position SD is supposed to be superior to CIN is QB, and Rivers(2 TD, 2 TO) has to be better than Dalton(3 TD, 0 TO). Or at least as good. I expect more from a $22mil/yr QB.

Really, SD eeked out a wk 1 victory despite losing the turnover battle. You can't beat a team that is better than you on the road when losing the turnover battle very often. If Rivers is going to turn the ball over 32 times this season(2TO/game so far) it's going to be difficult for SD to finish .500 for the season.

The bright side has been Gordon. He's looked much better in the regular season than in the preseason. I think this type of performance has to be considered a "good" game. Of his 16 rushes nearly half were for 1 yard or less. I still worry that his long TD runs in college will translate into ~20 yard runs in the pro game, but he played well. Perhaps just importantly his biggest run came out of the shotgun formation so the coaches must be trusting him in passing situations more. Still not saying he's worth the price but he's an easy guy to root for. I still think SD could use a guy like Erving who could have played LG, C, RG, and even RT in a pinch. It's not very often a team has their OL play 80 out of 80 games. SD gave up 4 sacks, CIN(who drafted OLman that they didn't "need") gave up 0.

Great, Watt has a groin injury and Green suffered his second concussion in the past month.

It is presumably safe to say Green won't play this week, meaning Phillips, who didn't initially make the final roster, will probably start and play the most TE snaps. As a side note, this can't bode well for Green's NFL or fantasy prospects. This could mean he isn't back on the field before Gates is active again, or that his snaps will be limited if he does get on the field. It seems entirely possible that Green's usage will revert to 2014 usage once Gates is back, unless he really emerges during Gates' absence, and that now seems much less likely.

Meanwhile, if Watt and Fluker are both out, it's deja vu all over again. That presumably means Robinson starts at C and Hairston starts again at RG. :X

Beyond that, these OL injuries are just further extending how long it will take for the OL to gel and start playing to their potential as a unit.

Beyond that, these OL injuries are just further extending how long it will take for the OL to gel and start playing to their potential as a unit.
I'm losing faith that we'll see the hoped for starting OL play together at any point this season. Injuries seem to be a constant. Hey, let's draft some more linebackers!

Gr00vus said:
Just Win Baby said:
I'm losing faith that we'll see the hoped for starting OL play together at any point this season. Injuries seem to be a constant. Hey, let's draft some more linebackers!
Biggest deficiencies in 2013: OL, pass rush, run defense

Biggest deficiencies in 2014: OL, pass rush, run defense

Biggest deficiencies in 2015: OL, pass rush, run defense

:lmao: at the bolded

Tyrell Williams is back in (practice) camp!!! :excited: Along with Kyle (one of my favorite Minion names) Miller.

:bye: Unrein - who needs DTs in a 3-4 set anyway?

Worst team in the division?

The offensive and defensive lines are abysmal. There's no excuse for it at this point from a roster management perspective. Telesco should be fired, right after the ####### Spanoses are fired.

Verrett being made of tissue paper isn't helping things either.

Worst team in the division?

The offensive and defensive lines are abysmal. There's no excuse for it at this point from a roster management perspective. Telesco should be fired, right after the ####### Spanoses are fired.

Verrett being made of tissue paper isn't helping things either.
:goodposting:

Telesco and McCoy both have to be held accountable.

Look at the schedule:

DET - W

@CIN - L

@MIN - L

CLE

PIT

@GB

OAK

@BAL

CHI

Bye

KC

@JAX

DEN

@KC

MIA

@OAK

@DEN

At this point, it's hard to see them finishing at .500 or better. Maybe 7-9. That schedule after the bye week is brutal.

Look at the schedule:

DET - W

@CIN - L

@MIN - L

CLE

PIT

@GB

OAK

@BAL

CHI

Bye

KC

@JAX

DEN

@KC

MIA

@OAK

@DEN

At this point, it's hard to see them finishing at .500 or better. Maybe 7-9. That schedule after the bye week is brutal.
6-3 heading into the bye is do-able. However that oline is awful and Oakland could beat them easily, the GB game has beatdown written all over it.

Should beat Cleveland and mike vick though

Users who are viewing this thread