What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Song Draft - Post Round 19/20 Picks any time today. (1 Viewer)

73,383 minutes :oldunsure:    (I listen all day at work)

parquet courts (71,00 minutes listening to death will bring change)

eta: top 5 bands- pq, idles, protomartyr, preoccupations, superchunk

eta2: uptown funk by kidz bop kids was my first song of the year. :pickle:

25 hours listening to pq

not sure where you guys are getting the % listing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 6:  Foxing - Nearer My God

This record was a grower.  I listened to it when they were coming to town and didn't like it enough to go to the show.  I returned to the album after hearing this song on the radio but their concert had already come and gone.  Their sound has a classic rock grandeur to it that's kind of uncommon nowadays.

anybody trying out their Tastebreakers playlist?

I've dived in- so far it's been a couple of Indian things- kinda interesting.

anybody trying out their Tastebreakers playlist?

I've dived in- so far it's been a couple of Indian things- kinda interesting.
Mine seems to be mostly old soul tracks with the occasional oddball entry from Aphex Twin, Edward Elgar and two songs each from Dennis Wilson and Prince Jammy.

Tastebreakers indeed.

Mine seems to be mostly old soul tracks with the occasional oddball entry from Aphex Twin, Edward Elgar and two songs each from Dennis Wilson and Prince Jammy.

Tastebreakers indeed.
Mine had so much Dennis Wilson too,  what is the deal with that? 

Got mostly Shuggie Otis on my Tastebreakers 

Not as interesting as I thought it might be.  Sounds like Cliffs of Dover

Since I was talking with @rockaction  about modern rap/what teens listen to, here is a tribute to 2 of the better ones that passed away this year. XXX sampled a Lil Peep song as a tribute to him after Peep died. By the time the song was finished and released, XXX was also dead. 

Rd 7 Falling Down by Lil Peep and XXXtentacion
Thanks for the shout. I listened to that. Then started listening to "Runaway" from Lil Peep and thought "that's just auto-tuned R&B with that sort of dank trap sound." Am I wrong on that? That doesn't even sound like they're rapping. Then I scanned "Broken Smile" and realized, "yeah, this is trap auto-tuned R&B." No surprise teens listen to this by the way. R&B was huge when I was a teen.  

ain't no party like a coltrane party. unless it's a no-all-caps ron gallo party. it's a bizarre and really fun album- much more varied than heavy meta, which I loved.

7- love supreme (work together)- ron gallo

Thanks for the shout. I listened to that. Then started listening to "Runaway" from Lil Peep and thought "that's just auto-tuned R&B with that sort of dank trap sound." Am I wrong on that? That doesn't even sound like they're rapping. 
Yeah, no rapping on that one. Lots of their songs don't have any or much rapping. It's as much R/B or often bordering on indie lo-fi. 

Good  snipe
I've talked this one up a lot- IIRC, drafted it in the magic footmusic leeg.

btw... my tastebreaker is really all over the place in a good way. hip-hop, jazz, world... I only recognize a couple of outfits (mechelle ndegeocello, closer). my kids' and wife's ####ty taste doesn't seem to have mucked up the algorithms.

I've talked this one up a lot- IIRC, drafted it in the magic footmusic leeg.

btw... my tastebreaker is really all over the place in a good way. hip-hop, jazz, world... I only recognize a couple of outfits (mechelle ndegeocello, closer). my kids' and wife's ####ty taste doesn't seem to have mucked up the algorithms.
That magic football draft was a blur, I missed so many peoples picks. I totally fell asleep on the wheel get taking Coltrane earlier here. How many rounds are we going btw?

Here is a song with rapping in it, I was going to take this but decided to include Peep just for posterity. 

the remedy for a broken heart by xxxtentacion
Thanks. I liked a few of his tracks, I guess.  

And the music makes me sad, actually. For a bunch of reasons.

In other news, Post Malone and Aerosmith are playing the Super Bowl. I think I'll be tuning into the NFL Network. I'm not looking at someone who does that to their face. Sorry, that's not a get off my lawn moment; I just do not abide a faceful of tattoos like that and never have. And it is my business. In order to speak to you, I have to look at you. In order to even conceive if you're a threat to me, basic to human existence, I need to see your face -- and when you do that to it, it's almost universally aesthetically revolting.

/endrant 

And I took White Iverson in Genrepalooza, so I've nothing against the guy and his popularity, I just can't look at him now.  

Thanks. I liked a few of his tracks, I guess.  

And the music makes me sad, actually. For a bunch of reasons.

In other news, Post Malone and Aerosmith are playing the Super Bowl. I think I'll be tuning into the NFL Network. I'm not looking at someone who does that to their face. Sorry, that's not a get off my lawn moment; I just do not abide a faceful of tattoos like that and never have. And it is my business. In order to speak to you, I have to look at you. In order to even conceive if you're a threat to me, basic to human existence, I need to see your face -- and when you do that to it, it's almost universally aesthetically revolting.

/endrant 
The music is all pretty depressing and knowing they both died this year ofcourse adds to it. 

Yeah the facial tattoos is a real dumb trend. Just so freaking stupid. I live in a nice- maybe even snobby suburb. We have a great local grocery store, one of those smaller higher end markets. One of the workers is a young white girl maybe 20 years old and he has several tattoos on her face. It's so bizarre and so out of place. I just wonder what her story is. 

The music is all pretty depressing and knowing they both died this year ofcourse adds to it. 

Yeah the facial tattoos is a real dumb trend. Just so freaking stupid. I live in a nice- maybe even snobby suburb. We have a great local grocery store, one of those smaller higher end markets. One of the workers is a young white girl maybe 20 years old and he has several tattoos on her face. It's so bizarre and so out of place. I just wonder what her story is. 
Yeah, Lil Peep apparently died of a combination of Xanax and fentanyl, which is so, so dangerous. I have a friend whose brother died from fentanyl. I'd met him. That was sad. I should call said friend. Haven't talked to him in a while.  But yes, the music is sort like swimming in a drugged-out, smelly, thick gossamer. 

Yeah, I don't want to derail the thread about music (I'm about to take out a more serious one that I think works in conjunction with it) with face tattoos, but I also always wonder backstories when stuff like that goes on.

Yeah, Lil Peep apparently died of a combination of Xanax and fentanyl, which is so, so dangerous. I have a friend whose brother died from fentanyl. I'd met him. That was sad. I should call said friend. Haven't talked to him in a while.  But yes, the music is sort like swimming in a drugged-out, smelly, thick gossamer. 
Scary stuff. His friends posted videos of him dead on the tour bus- they thought he was just asleep. XXX got robbed and killed at a dealership. Apparently he had a bag with thousands of dollars of cash and was looking to buy a vehicle with cash. It sounds like he must have been set-up. It's messed up but when one gets tattoos on their face, I feel like they are kind of planning to die young or at least accepting of the possibility of it. 

a bunch of stuff also with local (lower east side) flavor- just playlisted my first tune from it- shaking- pink louds

Just a measly 13,178 minutes listened.  Top five are all holdovers from 2017. Alvvays, Frightened Rabbit, Portugal. The Man (Evil Friends mostly), Shopping and Jason Isbell.  

Another month and The Beths would sneak in there.  

Rd 7: Shame - One Rizla

Another find I credit to the mid-year draft. @Eephus took Concrete which is my favorite off the album but this one deserves a listen too. These guys have a lot of charisma and seem like they’d be a blast to see live.
I had my fave Dust on Trial all lined up, but figured somebody else would take something from this fantastic album (probably #3 AotY for me) that eephus turned us all on to.

Rd 7: Shame - One Rizla

Another find I credit to the mid-year draft. @Eephus took Concrete which is my favorite off the album but this one deserves a listen too. These guys have a lot of charisma and seem like they’d be a blast to see live.
Shame is booked for Punk Rock Bowling in Las Vegas in late May.  Hopefully they'll announce some other US date around that time.

couple of additional comments...

most of this playlist is cerebral, songwritery/r&b/jazz stuff- spotify knows my usual wheelhouse is dumb 3 chord nonsense. 

I knew closer, but didn't remember that they're scream-metal/garage led by a woman. can't think of other woman led scream-bands out there.

Can I play for a moment?  

Top Artist: Title Fight 

Minutes: 29,602

Top Five Bands: 

Title Fight

Touche Amore

La Dispute 

Aesop Rock

Eminem

Songs: 

The Ringer

New Halloween

Like A Ritual 

Flowers and You 

Be A Toy

Mainstream: 74%

eta* I'm stunned St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church BluesEdward Benz, 27 Times; or Safer In The Forest/Love Song For Poor Michigan by La Dispute didn't make it, but I watched Edward Benz on the Auidotree Session they did, plus I own Wildlife on vinyl, so maybe that's why.  

Users who are viewing this thread