What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - Brock party (6 Viewers)

Zero hate and tons of admiration for Mahomes and Reid. TD passes to MVS and Mecole tonight in winning time. Tip of the cap to the champs.
Andy Reid has said in multiple interviews that the ***-kicking they took at the hand of the Raiders was what they needed to get back on track.

I also read in Peter King's story this morning that Reid texted Pierce after that game. From the article:

Reid thought back to the embarrassing physical beatdown the Raiders gave his team on Christmas Day. And he reached out to Antonio Pierce, the Raiders’ coach, this week to thank him for it.

Thank him?

“I texted him,” Reid said. “I just said, Hey, beautiful facility, first of all. And I appreciate you kicking our tail because you taught us a lesson. You get complacent in this business, the margin between winning and losing is tiny. You better step up. There’s a time and a place for these players that have been here before. You know what it takes. If you’re the veteran that’s dropping the ball or you’re the veteran getting the penalties, you better figure it out. Figure it out quick. This season’s gonna go down.”

Pierce seems like one of the good ones. And he is most definitely rebuilding that Raiders culture. You can just feel it, man.
I tell my boys in basketball when I coach that we don't want them but if you treat a loss the right way, they are more valuable than a win.

Oddly, the Raiders lost another coach before he even really started.... DeShaun Foster to become the head coach for UCLA
Because he is being hired for the HC job at UCLA. So, it isn't odd. Just a good coach got a better offer.

HC at your alma mater > position coach in the NFL
AP seems like the guy who tells everyone to do what you wanna do and he figure his own stuff out

Oddly, the Raiders lost another coach before he even really started.... DeShaun Foster to become the head coach for UCLA
Because he is being hired for the HC job at UCLA. So, it isn't odd. Just a good coach got a better offer.

HC at your alma mater > position coach in the NFL
AP seems like the guy who tells everyone to do what you wanna do and he figure his own stuff out
I get that feeling as well from reading between the lines of player interviews. But I would say that he has a clear vision, expectation and framework of what it means to be on the Raiders and that he would enforce that among all staff. I certainly don't see him micromanaging. I see him telling them the details, you decide, but this is what being a Raider is.

In my studies of leadership, it is the kind of style that I believe gets the most out of people and has the longest shelf life.

By the way, word is Vegas crushed it as host city for the Super Bowl. Not a surprise, but I fully expect Vegas to be in regular rotation with LA and Dallas etc.

That can only be good for the value of the team, Davis' stature in the league, and the organization in general.

By the way, word is Vegas crushed it as host city for the Super Bowl. Not a surprise, but I fully expect Vegas to be in regular rotation with LA and Dallas etc.

That can only be good for the value of the team, Davis' stature in the league, and the organization in general.
That’s good to hear, I wasn’t too impressed when they held the draft a couple years ago.

In case you missed this before yesterdays game. Worth a watch as a football fan, or more importantly, a Raider fan.
That should be a mini series.
Al looked very angry in every scene :mad:
Seriously.... think back to all your mental pictures of Al..... "intense" was his default disposition. The only time I can think of him not like that is after the Super Bowl with this "Just win baby!" interview and his big cheshire cat smile.

Our Raider facilities are top notch. The only drawback for Vegas is the smaller capacity compared to the other annual contenders. The only 'complaint' I heard at all was the UNLV field when they put sod over the artificial turf to practice on but it seems that was more about the Niners being picky than a real issue.

That wasn’t a dig at the raiders. I think he was just thrilled to win. Once the dust settles KC will be looking at you guys closely to see what offseason moves you make as well as Harbaugh coached team further west. AFCW is the best division imo.
I respectfully disagree. The AFC West unfortunately is starting to resemble the AFC East of the 00s-10s, dominated by one dynasty while the other teams in the division flounder.
That said, the Raiders are in the best position to dethrone the Chiefs. They have the formula to beat them.
They are no longer in a rebuild mode like the Chargers and Broncos are.
Everyone patting Harbaugh on the back even before his Chargers step on a practice field is just mind-boggling to me. Other than Herbert, Bosa, Slater and James, everyone else on that roster can be sent packing.
And the Broncos…. Who is Saint Payton’s QB? They aren’t making a playoff push in ‘24 without a QB.
The AFC West is the Chiefs until someone knocks them down. If Telesco and Champ draft well and AP, PG and Getsy can coach these guys up, it just might be the Raiders turn to push them.

That wasn’t a dig at the raiders. I think he was just thrilled to win. Once the dust settles KC will be looking at you guys closely to see what offseason moves you make as well as Harbaugh coached team further west. AFCW is the best division imo.
I respectfully disagree. The AFC West unfortunately is starting to resemble the AFC East of the 00s-10s, dominated by one dynasty while the other teams in the division flounder.
That said, the Raiders are in the best position to dethrone the Chiefs. They have the formula to beat them.
Everyone patting Harbaugh on the back even before his Chargers step on a practice field is just mind-boggling to me. Other than Herbert, Bosa, Slater and James, everyone else on that roster can be sent packing.
And the Broncos…. Who is Saint Payton’s QB? They aren’t making a playoff push in ‘24 without a QB.
The AFC West is the Chiefs until someone knocks them down. If Telesco and Champ draft well and AP, PG and Getsy can coach these guys up, it just might be the Raiders turn to push them.
I totally agree. I hate the Chiefs but it’s not their fault they beat everyone. AFCW is not the best division in the NFL either.

I suggested 3 yrs, $60 MM - first two guaranteed. $20 MM per. KC paid him $19.5 MM on a one year deal this past season.
Jones is looking for $30 M a year. He wants Bosa money. $20 M a year is a pipe dream. The team already has a significant investment in Crosby. Using 25% of your cap on two non-QB players isn’t a winning formula.

Teams that are constantly using free agency as the pathway to improving are really telling on themselves. It usually indicates they are doing a poor job at drafting and developing players.

Last edited:

I totally agree. I hate the Chiefs but it’s not their fault they beat everyone. AFCW is not the best division in the NFL either.

All the teams have strong coaches. Raiders are a qb away from contending. Broncos pretty similar. Chargers have the qb and now the coach. They should be competitive right away.

Reports are that Bosa is on the trading block.

All the teams have strong coaches. Raiders are a qb away from contending. Broncos pretty similar. Chargers have the qb and now the coach. They should be competitive right away.
Harbaugh is going to clean house. Just like Payton, Gruden and McDummy did. It’s what these egomaniacs do. They want their “guys” around them. It’s going to take a couple years to turn the Chargers around even with Justin Herbert. Look at the Broncos… Payton was the media darling a couple years ago, look at him now, still trying to find the next Drew Brees.

Harbaugh is going to clean house. Just like Payton, Gruden and McDummy did. It’s what these egomaniacs do. They want their “guys” around them. It’s going to take a couple years to turn the Chargers around even with Justin Herbert. Look at the Broncos… Payton was the media darling a couple years ago, look at him now, still trying to find the next Drew Brees.
The Donkeys were in a much worse situation with an albatross of a contract for Wilson, sent I don't even remember how many top draft picks to Seattle, a roster with not as much talent and no salary cap.

It appears that the Dolts are going to hit the eject button with reports of looking to trade potentially either or both Mack and Bosa. Their salary cap isn't great but they have their franchise QB for sure.

The Donkeys were in a much worse situation with an albatross of a contract for Wilson, sent I don't even remember how many top draft picks to Seattle, a roster with not as much talent and no salary cap.

It appears that the Dolts are going to hit the eject button with reports of looking to trade potentially either or both Mack and Bosa. Their salary cap isn't great but they have their franchise QB for sure.
Seattle fleeced them and they nailed most of their draft picks. That’s the difference between the strong organizations and the weak ones. Teams like KC and SF find their starting QB and RBs respectively in the 7th round (Purdy and Pacheco). They draft so well they can afford to miss on guys like Trey Lance. Could you imagine if it were the Raiders who made that trade?! Davis would never live it down.

Jones is looking for $30 M a year. He wants Bosa money. $20 M a year is a pipe dream.

He played for 19.5 last year. If someone else is willing to pay him 30, let 'em go for it. Not suggesting at all the Raiders do. But I know KC won't, and if his market value is $20 MM per for two years, he is worth that as a walking HOFer still playing at HOF level.

Teams that are constantly using free agency as the pathway to improving are really telling on themselves. It usually indicates they are doing a poor job at drafting and developing players.

Agreed 99%. Exception is high character, high value elite FAs, like CWood (twice), Reggie White, and Deon Sanders (twice). There have been many others I am forgetting (Honey Badger, old-*** Manning/Brady). Never overpay to win a bidding war, especially on mid-tier and/or washed up guys. But when blue chips hit the table and are still blue... and you have a combo of cap space and need...

I can buy Khalil Mack is washed. His recent few years' production bear that out. Chris Jones, OTOH, had an elite DT season for like the 6th year in a row, *last season*. I wouldn't bet on him for more than two years, but two years + team option at upper/mid tier money, I would gamble. There is enough meat left on the bone to starve KC and feed Mad Maxx IMO.

LAC salary cap is a mess. They are over $40M over the cap. Cutting Mike Williams saves $20M and Corey Linsley will probably retire (medical) saving $9M more but then you get into impact players. Kendricks would save $6.5M, Mack another $23M, Bosa saves $13M and Keenan Allen would be a whopping $23M savings. Even redoing Herbert's contract won't save much based on how it's structured. If they cleaned house and moved all of those guys they could get a pretty good draft pick haul and have a clean cap. Moving all of those guys would be $70M dead but clear $94M leaving them $50M space.

Jones is looking for $30 M a year. He wants Bosa money. $20 M a year is a pipe dream.

He played for 19.5 last year. If someone else is willing to pay him 30, let 'em go for it. Not suggesting at all the Raiders do. But I know KC won't, and if his market value is $20 MM per for two years, he is worth that as a walking HOFer still playing at HOF level.

Agreed 99%. Exception is high character, high value elite FAs, like CWood (twice), Reggie White, and Deon Sanders (twice). There have been many others I am forgetting (Honey Badger, old-*** Manning/Brady). Never overpay to win a bidding war, especially on mid-tier and/or washed up guys. But when blue chips hit the table and are still blue... and you have a combo of cap space and need...

I can buy Khalil Mack is washed. His recent few years' production bear that out. Chris Jones, OTOH, had an elite DT season for like the 6th year in a row, *last season*. I wouldn't bet on him for more than two years, but two years + team option at upper/mid tier money, I would gamble. There is enough meat left on the bone to starve KC and feed Mad Maxx IMO.
Significant drop in both snaps and sack production from Jones on a team that needed him more this year than last year. I see strong signs of decline... will it continue or will he even out? I don't know but that is a big bet to make if you think his production won't continue to decline and a lot of money in a guy that will need to take 1 out of every 4 snaps (or more) off to keep him fresh.

I love the idea of dominating DT... it is the thing that I think can take this defense from good to one of the best more so than any other position. I am just not convinced Jones will CONTINUE to be that guy. At least not at that price tag.

LAC salary cap is a mess. They are over $40M over the cap. Cutting Mike Williams saves $20M and Corey Linsley will probably retire (medical) saving $9M more but then you get into impact players. Kendricks would save $6.5M, Mack another $23M, Bosa saves $13M and Keenan Allen would be a whopping $23M savings. Even redoing Herbert's contract won't save much based on how it's structured. If they cleaned house and moved all of those guys they could get a pretty good draft pick haul and have a clean cap. Moving all of those guys would be $70M dead but clear $94M leaving them $50M space.
Yea, they got some decisions to make. Hopefully they foul it all up.

Snow day, so I am smoking and thinking about FA/draft

There's a good amount of DL in free agency. Some top guys, and some mid range dudes who might be values. Some will clearly be re-signed/franchised, but there's a LOT of decent names there.

Love to grab a player or two on a prove-it deal, if there are any. At ANY position really.

If the team addresses the QB situation in any way OTHER than with our top pick, the draft kind of looks nice for us. There are CB/OT/DT options in that range, going by big boards. 3 top OTs, two good CB, two good DT.

There's a good amount of DL in free agency. Some top guys, and some mid range dudes who might be values. Some will clearly be re-signed/franchised, but there's a LOT of decent names there.

Love to grab a player or two on a prove-it deal, if there are any. At ANY position really.

If the team addresses the QB situation in any way OTHER than with our top pick, the draft kind of looks nice for us. There are CB/OT/DT options in that range, going by big boards. 3 top OTs, two good CB, two good DT.
My 1st round wish list:

1. I’d love to see them bring in another young CB to pair with Jack Jones.
2. RT, can they ever get this position figured out? This might be the draft to do it.
3. It’s looking like a top edge rusher like Verse can fall to them, can’t have enough of those.
4. IDL - I think this group is slowly improving guys like Butler started playing better under AP. Does Wilson slide inside more? But if a standout DL falls in their lap at #13 I wouldn’t be mad.
5. QB- I just don’t see mortgaging the future for Williams/Maye/Daniels. McCarthy is starting to gain traction. As I’ve watched more film on him I’m coming around. McCarthy at #13 might be a franchise altering pick. I’d be nervous but I’d be all in. If QB isn’t an option, wait til later in the draft and target Penix/Rattler types.

The big piece is the QB of course and how we get that QB. The conventional wisdom is that a trade for Fields is off the table with Getsy as our OC. Comments that Fields made essentially saying the coaching he was getting was making him robotic in his movements. But that comment was made in Sept. If you look at his game log, after he came back his play was better (with a clunker of a game against the Browns as the exception). Fields has had 3 different OC's in his 3 years in the NFL. That isn't good. It may be a little counter intuitive, but perhaps Getsy as our OC doesn't mean Fields is not an option. I think the big key to this is what was the relationship like between them. That comment could have been shedding light on a broken relationship or it could have been something out of frustration, OC and QB coach not on same page, or something else. Regardless, I am not sure that the conventional wisdom is locked down right on this. If the Bears were interested in moving him after taking a QB early in the draft and we can get him for a 2nd (which is seen as the price tag and we have a high enough 2nd that it should work) then that would be ideal for me.... if that relationship is better than the comment suggests.

At that point, we can go BPA of OT, DT or even CB. I loved what I saw from Jack Jones. I saw enough from Hobbs and Robertson along with rookie Bennett to be ok with not being overly aggressive in grabbing a CB. I am on record as wanting a beast DT as the real missing piece for us and there are some dang good OT's avalable this draft that we could plug in on the rightside and groom to take over for Miller down the road.

My expectation is that James will not be the starting C and Parham will be moved there so we will need to find a new LG as a relatively high priority.

The big piece is the QB of course and how we get that QB. The conventional wisdom is that a trade for Fields is off the table with Getsy as our OC. Comments that Fields made essentially saying the coaching he was getting was making him robotic in his movements. But that comment was made in Sept. If you look at his game log, after he came back his play was better (with a clunker of a game against the Browns as the exception). Fields has had 3 different OC's in his 3 years in the NFL. That isn't good. It may be a little counter intuitive, but perhaps Getsy as our OC doesn't mean Fields is not an option. I think the big key to this is what was the relationship like between them. That comment could have been shedding light on a broken relationship or it could have been something out of frustration, OC and QB coach not on same page, or something else. Regardless, I am not sure that the conventional wisdom is locked down right on this. If the Bears were interested in moving him after taking a QB early in the draft and we can get him for a 2nd (which is seen as the price tag and we have a high enough 2nd that it should work) then that would be ideal for me.... if that relationship is better than the comment suggests.

At that point, we can go BPA of OT, DT or even CB. I loved what I saw from Jack Jones. I saw enough from Hobbs and Robertson along with rookie Bennett to be ok with not being overly aggressive in grabbing a CB. I am on record as wanting a beast DT as the real missing piece for us and there are some dang good OT's avalable this draft that we could plug in on the rightside and groom to take over for Miller down the road.

My expectation is that James will not be the starting C and Parham will be moved there so we will need to find a new LG as a relatively high priority.
Agree 100% about Fields/Getsy. 20 year old kids sometimes say the wrong thing at the wrong time, it doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t stand Getsy. For all we know, they might have a good working relationship and it was other coaches/factors that Fields was frustrated with. Who knows, the Getsy hiring could be signaling a run at Fields.

Agree 100% about Fields/Getsy. 20 year old kids sometimes say the wrong thing at the wrong time, it doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t stand Getsy. For all we know, they might have a good working relationship and it was other coaches/factors that Fields was frustrated with. Who knows, the Getsy hiring could be signaling a run at Fields.
Getting Fields for a 2nd where we can add a top tier player at another position and Fields doesn't need to start over again with an above average Oline (the Bears Oline is below average, at least definitely in pass pro), more than 1.5 receivers to throw to, a young stud like he had in Chicago at TE and then an elite running back (all signs point to a deal being likely with Jacobs). I think Fields would continue to improve from the later half of last year.

There is a lot we don't know but people think they know based off of one comment... I don't know. I just think it is a situation that is much better than what people think with Getsy as the OC.

Getting Fields for a 2nd where we can add a top tier player at another position and Fields doesn't need to start over again with an above average Oline (the Bears Oline is below average, at least definitely in pass pro), more than 1.5 receivers to throw to, a young stud like he had in Chicago at TE and then an elite running back (all signs point to a deal being likely with Jacobs). I think Fields would continue to improve from the later half of last year.

There is a lot we don't know but people think they know based off of one comment... I don't know. I just think it is a situation that is much better than what people think with Getsy as the OC.
It's not just one comment. Getsy did not tailor the offense to Fields strengths. He had him for a year and had a whole offseason after this first year and he still wanted Fields to fit his system and it wasn't working. It's not just that Fields might not want to play for Getsy, I don't think Getsy wants Fields. I would be completely shocked if the Raiders made an offer for Fields.

Last edited:

My 1st round wish list:

1. I’d love to see them bring in another young CB to pair with Jack Jones.
2. RT, can they ever get this position figured out? This might be the draft to do it.
3. It’s looking like a top edge rusher like Verse can fall to them, can’t have enough of those.
4. IDL - I think this group is slowly improving guys like Butler started playing better under AP. Does Wilson slide inside more? But if a standout DL falls in their lap at #13 I wouldn’t be mad.
5. QB- I just don’t see mortgaging the future for Williams/Maye/Daniels. McCarthy is starting to gain traction. As I’ve watched more film on him I’m coming around. McCarthy at #13 might be a franchise altering pick. I’d be nervous but I’d be all in. If QB isn’t an option, wait til later in the draft and target Penix/Rattler types.
My biggest fear is that the Broncos take McCarthy right in front of the Raiders and he turns out to be a superstar.

At that point, we can go BPA of OT, DT or even CB
Me too, and I would throw WR in there, simply because there are top talents in this draft, and it's a premium position.

And there's a lot of names possible.
I love what Adams, Meyers and Tucker bring but Renfrow will be gone and has done nothing for us the last couple of years. On top of that, Adams isn't getting younger so we have to keep that in mind as well. If there is someone there that we love at WR, I am fine with that too. I think the winning organizations are in the habit of drafting BPA and the ones that struggle keep going for need.

It's not just one comment. Getsy did not tailor the offense to Fields strengths. He had him for a year and had a whole offseason after this first year and he still wanted Fields to fit his system and it wasn't working. It's not just that Fields might not want to play for Getsy, I don't think Getsy wants Fields. I would be completely shocked if the Raiders made an offer for Fields.
You could be right. But I know AP would love nothing more than to run the ball down people’s throats and lead the league in rushing. What better way to do that with Fields/Getsy/Jacobs and Zamir.

You could be right. But I know AP would love nothing more than to run the ball down people’s throats and lead the league in rushing. What better way to do that with Fields/Getsy/Jacobs and Zamir.
I agree that AP would love to do that and I think that would be a great plan. I was also interested in making a move for Fields before they brought Getsy in. I just don't see how that can happen now given the body of work for the two of them in Chicago. Their offense looked more coherent in a couple of the games Bagent played last year. Getsy seems to favor a rhythm and timing passer and Fields is more of a Lamar Jackson type than Aaron Rodgers type (not saying he has shown to be nearly as good as either).

I agree that AP would love to do that and I think that would be a great plan. I was also interested in making a move for Fields before they brought Getsy in. I just don't see how that can happen now given the body of work for the two of them in Chicago. Their offense looked more coherent in a couple of the games Bagent played last year. Getsy seems to favor a rhythm and timing passer and Fields is more of a Lamar Jackson type than Aaron Rodgers type (not saying he has shown to be nearly as good as either).
Maybe… Also maybe AP will allow those two guys to be themselves. I have no idea what went on in CHI but Eberflus is ultimately responsible for Fields’ play. Getsy could have been the fall guy or scapegoat. If AP tells Getsy to let Fields be “Fields” maybe he will play better with Getsy’s coaching more to his strengths.
It’s all speculation on my part, but one that isn’t, AP said in an interview that he will be bringing in competition for AOC. Why not kick the tires….

my current draft preferences:
1) JJ McCarthy (if he’s there at 13)
2) OT
3) DB

end of list :)

Got a kick out of this

Trivia
The trick used by the Washington Redskins of taping a $100 bill to the back of the playbook seemed to be inspired by an anecdote of JaMarcus Russell. His coaches in Oakland did not believe he was watching the game film and once purposely sent him home with blank DVDs to watch. He returned claiming he watched the video and liked the game plan, obviously lying.

Got a kick out of this

Trivia
The trick used by the Washington Redskins of taping a $100 bill to the back of the playbook seemed to be inspired by an anecdote of JaMarcus Russell. His coaches in Oakland did not believe he was watching the game film and once purposely sent him home with blank DVDs to watch. He returned claiming he watched the video and liked the game plan, obviously lying.
I remember that story. Russell is the reason for the rookie salary structure that’s in place now. That draft pick set the Raiders back 10 years. What a horrible time to be a Raider fan.

CBS Mock

Wow! These guys are nuts. I’m probably the biggest Michael Penix supporter on here but to move up to 10 to draft a guy with 4 knee surgeries (don’t quote me, I believe they’re all on the knees) is just reckless IMO. I’d love for them to grab him in the 2nd round or trade back to the end of the 1st I could probably live with.

I hope my link works, first time trying it here.

CBS Mock

Wow! These guys are nuts. I’m probably the biggest Michael Penix supporter on here but to move up to 10 to draft a guy with 4 knee surgeries (don’t quote me, I believe they’re all on the knees) is just reckless IMO. I’d love for them to grab him in the 2nd round or trade back to the end of the 1st I could probably live with.

No, I am not taking a 1st on him when for four straight years he hasn't finished a season. Nope.

CBS Mock

No, I am not taking a 1st on him when for four straight years he hasn't finished a season. Nope.
To be fair, he has finished the past 2 seasons healthy. But, yeah, that’s way too rich for him.

Last edited:
CBS Mock

To fair, he has finished the past 2 seasons healthy. But, yeah, that’s way too rich for him.
Thank god that dude isnt drafting for the Raiders :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread