What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Decline 5th year options for Harris and Fields (11 Viewers)

what would be the trade for Aiyuk require? Two 2nds this and next year? I have no idea.
Then what kind of money would he require to sign a long term deal in Pittsburgh?
And they should still draft a WR by rd 3rd. Pickens probably gone after next year, unless he really grows up.

what would be the trade for Aiyuk require? Two 2nds this and next year? I have no idea.
Then what kind of money would he require to sign a long term deal in Pittsburgh?
And they should still draft a WR by rd 3rd. Pickens probably gone after next year, unless he really grows up.
SF isn't getting rid of Aiyuk..

If Justin Jefferson becomes available.. I would love to have him.. Him and Pickens could be one of the best duos in the game.

I imagine you have to get rid of 1st and 2nd for JJ.

Dionte trade is addition by subtraction.
There is a lot of truth to this. He is a good receiver but caused lots of turmoil in the locker room and was responsible for some bonehead antics on the field that resulted in stupid penalties. He was also expensive.

Still his departure will leave a glaring hole at receiver. I expect they'll be signing a veteran FA shortly and taking a WR early in the draft/

If Justin Jefferson becomes available.. I would love to have him.. Him and Pickens could be one of the best duos in the game.

I wouldn’t totally discount the 49ers trading Aiyuk. I have seen rumors that they are far apart in contract talks.

They did trade Buckner in his prime when they couldn’t come to an agreement.

i dont think you can trade for Jefferson knowing that there is a huge hole at QB in a year.

Usually active free agency for the Steelers. Maybe the rumors of the GM on thin ice have legs.
What are you talking about? This free agency is less active than last year, the 2nd year with Khan in charge. Why would Khan be the same as Colbert, just because he worked with him doesn't mean he has the exact same philosophy. Comparing the two and basing his job security off that is odd.

Hunter Renfrow about to get cut, he did poorly the last few years with McDaniels, but he might have something left in the slot. He's potentially a solid WR3/4 if we draft someone high.

The Diontae Trade is most reminiscent of the AB trade, below anticipated value to dump a player that didn't fit in the locker room anymore. We probably have to sign 1 WR and draft 2 to fill out this locker room, unless we bring back someone like Boykin to be ST + WR5, then we sign 2 and draft 1-2.
I think this was a done deal before the combine when they started meeting with all the top WRs.

For Patrick Queen, according to Ravens fans his vast improvement was due to his switch to weak side linebacker and not purely Roquan. He moved to weakside weeks before Roquan was acquired and was already improving a lot before he entered the building (again, according to Ravens reddit).

Dionte's trade was inevitable. His current salary is justified, but he was going to hold out of training camp and demand a huge contract extension that no one in the building was going to agree to.

After the DJohnson trade, I was able to pick up Calvin Austin in dynasty. I am assuming Pitt adds another WR, but does Austin have a future as the #2/#3 WR?

For Patrick Queen, according to Ravens fans his vast improvement was due to his switch to weak side linebacker and not purely Roquan. He moved to weakside weeks before Roquan was acquired and was already improving a lot before he entered the building (again, according to Ravens reddit).
Baltimore tried to make him a classic MLB his first few years, and it didn't work great. He put up nice tackle numbers, but he often ran himself out of position or got caught in the wash. Once the Ravens just turned him loose instead of having him try to control the middle of the field, he played much better. Roquan was the big amplifier for Queen, though.

Anyway, Queen's a very good player and his teammates loved him in Baltimore. Hurts to lose him (especially to another AFCN team), but there was no way they could afford him. As long as the Steelers don't try to make him Ray Lewis or Jack Lambert, I think you guys will be happy with the signing.

After the DJohnson trade, I was able to pick up Calvin Austin in dynasty. I am assuming Pitt adds another WR, but does Austin have a future as the #2/#3 WR?
He might do better with Russell Wilson, but I would not bank on Austin long term and I'd expect the Steelers to get another good WR1 or WR2 in the draft. Austin is probably the team's WR3, meaning that in fantasy he might have 1-3 good fantasy games per season.

The offense is where improvement is needed in a huge way and so far that hasn't happened. Losing DJ is not a positive in terms of improving the offense. Wilson gives you better play than the bottom 5 play from KP, but is he really better than what Mason showed? The film from last season tells me Wilson is well past his prime years and in a steady decline. You also replaced a locker room issue in DJ with a well known one in Wilson.

Signing Queen has been the only positive impact so far.

Kaboly on the twitter talking about how Keenan Allen makes sense, which he does in terms of what the team needs, maybe perfect sense. Just dot connecting or might he have some intel? I'm thinking just dot connecting/making stuff up but fun thought.

The offense is where improvement is needed in a huge way and so far that hasn't happened. Losing DJ is not a positive in terms of improving the offense. Wilson gives you better play than the bottom 5 play from KP, but is he really better than what Mason showed? The film from last season tells me Wilson is well past his prime years and in a steady decline. You also replaced a locker room issue in DJ with a well known one in Wilson.

I don't think too many teams would prefer to have Mason Rudolph leading their team over Russell Wilson.

Kaboly on the twitter talking about how Keenan Allen makes sense, which he does in terms of what the team needs, maybe perfect sense. Just dot connecting or might he have some intel? I'm thinking just dot connecting/making stuff up but fun thought.
I'd be a bit surprised if they cut Allen instead of Mike Williams, though they could cut both.

Would not be shocked if we see a few more Steelers moves in the next 24 hours as teams are forced to cut players to make cap moves.

Wouldn't be surprised if we now go WR, OL, CB with Sainristil as the 3rd round pick to lock down slot. Without any surprises in free agency we might be rolling with Moore at OT if we have to use our 2nd on a Center.

I don't think too many teams would prefer to have Mason Rudolph leading their team over Russell Wilson.
I think Denver would for sure just to name one. Heck, they let Wilson go knowing they would be paying his ridiculous salary regardless.

I think Denver would for sure just to name one. Heck, they let Wilson go knowing they would be paying his ridiculous salary regardless.
They can sign him right now, but haven't.

They can sign him right now, but haven't.
Probably because they like what they have, or might look for better.

Point was we don't really know if Wilson is an improvement. From the film I saw Wilson is a dud on the decline, but we only got to see Mason in limited fashion, so maybe the locker room cancer is better, but maybe not.

Point was we don't really know if Wilson is an improvement.

We have watched Mason Rudolph play football for five seasons in the nfl. We know. And that is even with what Wilson is today, not what he used to be. When you factor in cost, it isn't even close. Rudolph's 3 decent games at the end of '23 don't really change that.

Im starting to feel like a Wilson apologist, but a lot of people are giving him way too bad of a rap for his play on the field, particularly last year.

He is still incredibly efficient when throwing deep and when throwing off of play action. For those who are in love with Artie's "dinosaur ball" offense, Russ should have them creaming their jeans. He is just about a "perfect" quarterback for what they are intending to try on offense. I do not necessarily agree with the direction that they are heading on O, but I can see the logic that they are applying in this situation.

If it doesn't work it basically cost the price equivalent of a Happy Meal to attempt, and they'll be exactly where they would be in a year anyway.

Point was we don't really know if Wilson is an improvement.

We have watched Mason Rudolph play football for five seasons in the nfl. We know. And that is even with what Wilson is today, not what he used to be. When you factor in cost, it isn't even close. Rudolph's 3 decent games at the end of '23 don't really change that.

Im starting to feel like a Wilson apologist, but a lot of people are giving him way too bad of a rap for his play on the field, particularly last year.

He is still incredibly efficient when throwing deep and when throwing off of play action. For those who are in love with Artie's "dinosaur ball" offense, Russ should have them creaming their jeans. He is just about a "perfect" quarterback for what they are intending to try on offense. I do not necessarily agree with the direction that they are heading on O, but I can see the logic that they are applying in this situation.

If it doesn't work it basically cost the price equivalent of a Happy Meal to attempt, and they'll be exactly where they would be in a year anyway
The cost of the experiment is pennies, so yes I see that point. I just don't think he's more than an aging QB who has lost much of his physical tools he once had to help him make plays. Can he improve the offense, maybe? From what I saw, I doubt he can do much more than what we've already seen. Going from Sean Payton to Arthur Smith is not an upgrade in offensive play calling, but I'll wait to see what Wilson brings in this 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

I feel like I'm tuning in to one of the sports talk shows (2pm The Fan) where they said the Queen signing was bad since he's not Roquan Smith. And then callers calling in to say how much of a "bum" Wilson is. Bizarre...

I feel like I'm tuning in to one of the sports talk shows (2pm The Fan) where they said the Queen signing was bad since he's not Roquan Smith. And then callers calling in to say how much of a "bum" Wilson is. Bizarre...
Yeah, it's a scene, man. "Yinzers gonna yinz", I guess.

Queen was a slam dunk, IMO. Been fairly solid his whole career so far, and yeah he spiked up this past year. Give Smith/whatever credit if you like, but LBs taking time to develop isn't anything new. You'd assume Steelers fans would be more aware of that, given the career trajectory of guys like Lawrence Timmons. Or, hell, James Farrior. He was basically flaming out with the Jets til he had a breakout year in his 5th season. Signed with the Steelers that offseason and didn't stop being a baller for 10 years.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Queen turned into this front office's "James Farrior" signing at period all period.

Wilson is what Wilson is, at this point. He's not the '17 model, but he's still orders of magnitude better at "playing QB" than either Pickett OR Rudolph at this stage of all of their careers. Provincilism won't make Mason Rudolph or Kenny Pickett better at doing progressions/being accurate deep/etc etc. Russ could postively, absolutely crash and burn hard at age 35, but so what? Running out any of the QBs they had available a year ago expecting different results, even with a different offense, seems like the definition of insanity to me. It was a no-brainer/no-risk gamble to take after they confirmed Wilson was on-board with...whatever it is they're intending to do on offense.

If Wilson sucks, "Meh, Denver's paying him anyway." If it lights a fire under Pickett and he drives Russ to the bench in the pre-season? "Meh, Denver's paying him anyway." That happens and he starts to mope and locks everyone out of his personal office in the locker room? "Meh. Cut him. Denver's paying him anyway." Zero downside here, IMO. Not really that worried about the off the field stuff either. He's wired different, for sure, and will probably make a couple comments that seem out there at some point, but guys like Heyward aren't going to lose a locker room to "Mr. Ciara", IMO.

Good for Rudy.

Question is do the steelers sign a vet now to a similar deal to be the #3 (or 2 if Pickett sucks) or are they gambling and drafting a qb and/or waiting post-draft to sign a scrub vet?

I'm not the Pittsburgh Steelers GM, but play one on a fantasy message board. Omar's job is safe.

Very happy to see a SB winning QB at the helm playing for his next contract as extra motivation. Was rooting for Rudy to sign and win the job outright, but it's hard to complain when Russ has a winning history and only costs 1.21 mil against the cap. Crazy value. Being honest, any decent QB would make me happy just to get Kenny planted on the bench or relegated to 3rd string. CAN'T WAIT for the Kenny Pickett experience to come to an end ever since the Steelers drafted him on my birthday.

Diontae move is a head scratcher. Figured he'd be worth a 3rd round comp pick after he moves on next season. Guessing Donte Jackson now is worth a potential future 3rd round compensatory pick to the organization. Team can use the secondary help, but really opens a gaping hole at WR. Let's see what Omar has up his sleeve.

Queen signing is great! No longer a must draft ILB in April. Sounds like his fit is weak side LB. Major upgrade as long as we don't make him play out of position.

Signing Russ given his salary situation is a no-brainer. No downside as others have said. Also, this is exactly the QB gameplan me and others suggested back when they drafted Kenny in the first round... build up the rest of the team and get a QB later. Not saying these changes make them AFC Contenders but the plan makes sense given where they are at the QB position.

The Queen signing was good. Getting a vet WR or two before the draft would also be good.

Kinda looking forward to seeing what else Omar is going to do this offseason.

If the Steelers really want to max Russ' production they should make a strong offer (3rd rounder) to the Broncos for WR Courtland Sutton. Those two accounted for 10 TD's last season and Sutton was the only non-checkdown target Wilson ever really trusted.

If the Steelers really want to max Russ' production they should make a strong offer (3rd rounder) to the Broncos for WR Courtland Sutton. Those two accounted for 10 TD's last season and Sutton was the only non-checkdown target Wilson ever really trusted.
I don't know if Denver will deal Sutton, they traded Jeudy,

Users who are viewing this thread