What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2nd Official Free For All Chess Tournament- Green & Gold= Champion (2 Viewers)

Sand your last move wasn't a blunder. It just led to a draw quicker. The game was drawn anyhow unless one of us really made a very stupid mistake.
Oh, it was a blunder! It just didn't cost me. Tried my best to find a way around that logjam in the middle, but really just couldn't crack anything open. Wasn't for lack of trying.
Yeah it would have left me up a pawn after Qf7+ Kh7 Qxe6 IF I play Qxe3+. But I wouldn't have. I would have played Qg3+ Kh1 Qh3+ etc. Here's the problem with Qxe3+- while it puts me up a pawn, you have tremendous positional advantage, because my rook is left in the corner and there's no way I can bring it into play. You can bring YOUR rook into play and the only way to prevent that is a perpetual check on my part. No way that I can see for me to grind out a victory.
After Qxe3+, K moves, Qxd4, white's position is pretty much shattered.

After looking at it some more, the only thing I see negative for black in this line is making sure white doesn't get a perpetual. Admittedly that is pretty tricky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand your last move wasn't a blunder. It just led to a draw quicker. The game was drawn anyhow unless one of us really made a very stupid mistake.
Oh, it was a blunder! It just didn't cost me. Tried my best to find a way around that logjam in the middle, but really just couldn't crack anything open. Wasn't for lack of trying.
Yeah it would have left me up a pawn after Qf7+ Kh7 Qxe6 IF I play Qxe3+. But I wouldn't have. I would have played Qg3+ Kh1 Qh3+ etc. Here's the problem with Qxe3+- while it puts me up a pawn, you have tremendous positional advantage, because my rook is left in the corner and there's no way I can bring it into play. You can bring YOUR rook into play and the only way to prevent that is a perpetual check on my part. No way that I can see for me to grind out a victory.
After Qxe3+, K moves, Qxd4, white's position is pretty much shattered.

After looking at it some more, the only thing I see negative for black in this line is making sure white doesn't get a perpetual. Admittedly that is pretty tricky.
Really? Well then maybe I blew it. I couldn't see a way to avoid it, and frankly I was afraid of him moving his rook down to attack. Oh well.

After Qxe3+, K moves, Qxd4, white's position is pretty much shattered.After looking at it some more, the only thing I see negative for black in this line is making sure white doesn't get a perpetual. Admittedly that is pretty tricky.
Really? Well then maybe I blew it. I couldn't see a way to avoid it, and frankly I was afraid of him moving his rook down to attack. Oh well.
I wouldn't take my opinion as gospel, I could be missing an attack on white's part.

After Qxe3+, K moves, Qxd4, white's position is pretty much shattered.After looking at it some more, the only thing I see negative for black in this line is making sure white doesn't get a perpetual. Admittedly that is pretty tricky.
I wouldn't take my opinion as gospel, I could be missing an attack on white's part.
I'm allowed to attack?

:rant:

Joe T said:
I guess it's just a bit frustrating when you are not sure if you are playing chess or just playing some sort of weird game of siege trying to see how long you can wait between moves.
:shrug:

I was busy on and off yesterday, and can't play at work. We're making pretty good progress.

If you think I'm slow, you're gonna hate life if you get matched up against tasker.

jamny def. shader

Wide open game turns on a late unfortunate blunder. Too bad. It was a nice back and forth battle up until that point.

Wdcrob 1-0 ChaseC
Good game Rob! Every time I tried to put something together you quickly adjusted and took control. I had no chance.

Echoing what others have said, but thanks for running this Tim. I feel like I'm slowly improving. Looking forward to doing more of these.

Wdcrob 1-0 ChaseC
Good game Rob! Every time I tried to put something together you quickly adjusted and took control. I had no chance.

Echoing what others have said, but thanks for running this Tim. I feel like I'm slowly improving. Looking forward to doing more of these.
Back at you Chase -- we both had a few goofs, but you made it really hard after I got the edge. Actually thought I'd blown it there when you dropped the rook onto the 1st rank.

And another big Thank You to Tim. This is fun.

3 points from 4 games so far too, but here's where the (Cinderella) story ends. I've got no illusions about where I stand vs the other guys on 3+ points.

Joe T said:
I guess it's just a bit frustrating when you are not sure if you are playing chess or just playing some sort of weird game of siege trying to see how long you can wait between moves.
:shrug:

I was busy on and off yesterday, and can't play at work. We're making pretty good progress.

If you think I'm slow, you're gonna hate life if you get matched up against tasker.
I've been trying to play faster, but work is picking up and getting worse.

Tim>if we have an odd number at the end of this round, I might want to drop out.

Joe T said:
:shrug: I was busy on and off yesterday, and can't play at work. We're making pretty good progress.

I've been trying to play faster, but work is picking up and getting worse.Tim>if we have an odd number at the end of this round, I might want to drop out.
It would suck for anyone to drop out. We are in no hurry. We have our whole lives to finish this thing.

nysfl somehow survives against JoeT's relentless attacks and pulls out a victory at the end. Heck of a game.

1. e4 e5

2. Nf3 Nc6

3. Nc3 g6

4. Bc4 Bg7

5. d3 Bf6

6. O-O d6

7. Nd5 Bg4

8. c3 Bxf3

9. Qxf3 Na5

10. Qe2 Bg7

11. f4 c6

12. Ne3 exf4

13. Rxf4 Nf6

14. d4 O-O

15. Bd3 d5

16. b4 Nc4

17. Nxc4 dxc4

18. Bxc4 b5

19. Bb3 Qc7

20. Be3 a5

21. Ra1f1 a4

22. Bc2 Ne8

23. a3 Nd6

24. Bd3 Ra8e8

25. e5 Nc8

26. Rf4f3 Ne7

27. c4 bxc4

28. Bxc4 Nd5

29. Rc1 Qd7

30. b5 Nxe3

31. bxc6 Qxd4

32. Qxe3 Bxe5

33. Qxd4 Bxd4+

34. Kf1 Be5

35. g3 Rb8

36. Re1 Bd6

37. c7 Rb8c8

38. Re4 Rxc7

39. Bd5 Rc5

40. Rd3 Rb8

41. Bxf7+ Kxf7

42. Rxd6 Ra8

43. Rd7+ Kf6

44. Rxh7 Rc3

45. Rh7h4 Rxa3

46. Rh4f4+ Kg7

47. h4 Ra1+

48. Kf2 Ra7

49. Rg4 Kh6

50. Re6 Rg7

51. Ra6 Ra2+

52. Kf3 Rf7+

53. Ke3 Ra3+

54. Ke4 Rf7f3

55. Ra6xg6+ Kh7

56. Rg7+ Kh8

57. Ra7 Rxg3

58. Rxg3 Rxg3

59. Kf4 Ra3

60. h5 Ra1

61. Kf5 a3

62. h6 a2

63. Kf6 Rf1+

64. Kg6 Rg1+

65. Kf6 a1=Q+ 0-1

Round 4- All Players listed FIRST are white:

Joffer (3) vs. Green & Gold (3) (0-1)

Sand (2.5) vs. timschochet (3) (1/2-1/2)

Brownsfan (2) vs. Psychopav (2) in progress

Steve Tasker (2) vs. Mister CIA (2) (1/2-1/2)

JoeT (2) vs. nysfl2 (2) (0-1)

Pizzatyme (2) vs. BoomBoom (2) (1-0)

Unialias (2) vs. wdcrop (2) (0-1)

Otello (1.5) vs. kutta (2) (1-0)

rascal (1.5) vs. witz (1) in progress

Jamny (1) vs. shader (1) (1-0)

cheese (1) vs. AcerFC (1)

Ray Karpis (1) vs. rajincajun (1) (1-0)

spOOfy (1) vs. Abraham (1) (1-0)

Bogart (.5) vs. timmypg (.5) (1-0)

AcerFC, if your game hasn't started by tomorrow morning Cheese will be out of the tourney and you will be awarded a forfeit victory.

jamny def. shader

Wide open game turns on a late unfortunate blunder. Too bad. It was a nice back and forth battle up until that point.
The story of my chess life. Gg though I was having a blast.

Wdcrob 1-0 ChaseC

Back at you Chase -- we both had a few goofs, but you made it really hard after I got the edge. Actually thought I'd blown it there when you dropped the rook onto the 1st rank.

And another big Thank You to Tim. This is fun.

3 points from 4 games so far too, but here's where the (Cinderella) story ends. I've got no illusions about where I stand vs the other guys on 3+ points.
Eh - hope you get me. I'm a 3rd division team who somehow has won a couple mudfests and slipped into territory I shouldn't be in.

OK, Acer is awarded the forfeit win. Cheese is out of the tourney. Next round one person will have a bye (unless Shotsup wants back in- let me know.)

We are waiting on Rascal vs Witz. Once that game is finished, we can start round 5.

OK, Acer is awarded the forfeit win. Cheese is out of the tourney. Next round one person will have a bye (unless Shotsup wants back in- let me know.)

We are waiting on Rascal vs Witz. Once that game is finished, we can start round 5.
We're working through our game currently.

Tim - if we still have an odd number at the end of this round, I can drop out. I was hoping work wouldn't pick up til closer to the end of the month, but I really won't have enough time to really devote to this going forward.

Tim - if we still have an odd number at the end of this round, I can drop out. I was hoping work wouldn't pick up til closer to the end of the month, but I really won't have enough time to really devote to this going forward.
Hate to see that, but it's your call.

Going forward, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I'll only be able to make 1-2 moves between the hours of like midnight and 9 PM. That's really not fair to my opponent or the rest of the people in the tournament, I don't think. What do you think?

Going forward, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that I'll only be able to make 1-2 moves between the hours of like midnight and 9 PM. That's really not fair to my opponent or the rest of the people in the tournament, I don't think. What do you think?
No, it isn't. OK, we'll miss you, but you're out. There will be another tourney next month I think, and hopefully you can return for that one.

Update on Witz vs. Rascal?

No, it isn't. OK, we'll miss you, but you're out. There will be another tourney next month I think, and hopefully you can return for that one.Update on Witz vs. Rascal?
Game still progressing at this point - should be done by tomorrow

No, it isn't. OK, we'll miss you, but you're out. There will be another tourney next month I think, and hopefully you can return for that one.Update on Witz vs. Rascal?
You know what, #### it...I hate being a quitter. Keep me in. I will make it work.That said, I'll voluntarily take the round 6 bye (if that's allowed, I have no idea how that works).

I am definitely out for the one next month. I won't be available until at least late April.

Was the G&G v joffer game posted?
No, here it is.

[Event "Playing on Chess Time"]

[site "ChessTime"]

[Date "2014.02.08"]

[Round "1"]

[White "joffer8079"]

[black "g&g"]

[Result "0-1"]

1. e4 e5

2. f4 exf4

3. Nf3 Be7

4. Bc4 Nf6

5. e5 Ne4

6. O-O d5

7. exd6 Nxd6

8. Bb3 O-O

9. d4 g5

10. Ne5 Nd7

11. Qh5 Nxe5

12. dxe5 Ne4

13. Bxf4 Qd4+

14. Kh1 Nf2+

15. Rxf2 Qxf2

16. Nd2 gxf4

17. Ne4 Qh4

18. Qf3 Be6

19. Rg1 Bxb3

20. c2xb3 Qh6

21. g3 fxg3

22. Rxg3+ Kh8

23. Kg2 Rg8

24. Qxf7 Rxg3+

25. hxg3 Qg7 0-1

Witz....u there?
What's happening with this game?
Hey guys - sorry been in the ER since this morning (one of my kids got hurt). I'll be back online this afternoon but if you need to move it along now, you can give me the loss for this round (don't want to hold things up any longer). I'm fine with whichever way you decide.
Of course we can wait. Hope everything is OK with your kid.

Witz....u there?
Hey guys - sorry been in the ER since this morning (one of my kids got hurt). I'll be back online this afternoon but if you need to move it along now, you can give me the loss for this round (don't want to hold things up any longer). I'm fine with whichever way you decide.
Oh, screw the kid! :lol:

(Seriously, hope the little guy/gal is ok! Done a couple of those trips and they aren't too fun).

Witz....u there?

(Seriously, hope the little guy/gal is ok! Done a couple of those trips and they aren't too fun).
Thanks! Spent many a day/night in the ER - good times.

All is well with her so that's all that matters.

Rascal with the win. GG!
Thanks GB!

Thanks for letting me have my first triple fork :) When it happened I said something about a threesome. Wife didn't believe me when I said I was talking about chess.

Witz....u there?

Thanks! Spent many a day/night in the ER - good times.

All is well with her so that's all that matters.
Yeap.

I know it's been a bad year when I've already meet my yearly deductible, and my health savings amount, in the first 6 weeks of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread