What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

300 Tons of Nazi Gold Allegedly Found UPDATE (1 Viewer)

If this is really on a train, couldnt they have just followed the track network and eventually found it?

I'm sure they had a lot of fun making fun of each others fingers and thumbs, while drinking vodka on the old rarilroad tracks

two men, one a Pole and one a German, say they know the location of a heavily armored Nazi train that was rumored to be hidden away in a tunnel during the dying days of the Second World War—a train that could contain upwards of 300 tons of gold.
The Polish guy thinks the German dude is trying to kill him and steal his share of the gold. He found a bottle that the German guy's wife was carrying labeled Polish Remover.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a treasure trove this could be, if true. Forget for a moment the gold, but there could be missing art, jewels, and examples of weapons, and Potentially documents as well. The gold might be the least valuable thing on the train.

If this is really on a train, couldnt they have just followed the track network and eventually found it?
The track network in question was hastily built during WWII by the Germans. It was not fully documented, at least, in documents that survive (maps/plans) from inside Nazi Germany. It's not like the rail network would have shown up on a contemporary map of the town. Parts of it may never have been documented, or, quickly assembled then disassembled to be reused elsewhere (lay down temporary tracks as a spur from the main line to hide some train cars in an old mine tunnel, then pull up the temporary tracks and use them somewhere else/melt them for bullets... if Germany wins, rebuild the tracks later).
one of the articles says ze germans did a lot of undocumented digging up mines in those mountains as well- with rumors that the mines have treasures too (I think that terrible movie, Monument Men, involved this story-line?)

The track network in question was hastily built during WWII by the Germans. It was not fully documented, at least, in documents that survive (maps/plans) from inside Nazi Germany. It's not like the rail network would have shown up on a contemporary map of the town. Parts of it may never have been documented, or, quickly assembled then disassembled to be reused elsewhere (lay down temporary tracks as a spur from the main line to hide some train cars in an old mine tunnel, then pull up the temporary tracks and use them somewhere else/melt them for bullets... if Germany wins, rebuild the tracks later).
one of the articles says ze germans did a lot of undocumented digging up mines in those mountains as well- with rumors that the mines have treasures too (I think that terrible movie, Monument Men, involved this story-line?)
Merkers Mine was where they kept most of the central bank gold and other plundered loot. What makes me a little skeptical of the 300 Tons number for the train find is the comment that Merkers' storage "amounted to nearly 250 tons [of gold]." That means that this one train (had to be multiple cars) holds more than what was reported to be "...the entire reserve of the Reichsbank in Berlin"

Not saying it's not possible, it just seems a bit exaggerated.

to be fair- an internet article that says something could contain 300 tons of gold, vs the BBC article saying: "several tons of gold bullion"... it might be somewhere in the middle at best.

Enough with the facts. Back to your regularly scheduled Polack jokes.

I'm 1/2 Polish btw. I know, I know, big surprise...

mquinnjr said:
belljr said:
Pawn stars
$10,000,000.00.Can't go any higher due to this being pure speculation.
It's a lot of gold. It's gonna sit on the shelf for a long time. A long time. Plus, I don't ever buy Nazi stuff so I'm gonna have to pass. I won't even make an offer. Thanks for coming in.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
What a treasure trove this could be, if true. Forget for a moment the gold, but there could be missing art, jewels, and examples of weapons, and Potentially documents as well. The gold might be the least valuable thing on the train.
:no:

El Floppo said:
Walking Boot said:
Scoresman said:
Why did everybody hate that movie so much? I didn't think it was great, but it wasn't that bad.

300 tons of gold seems like it would be worth a helluva lot more than $1B.

Looks like it would be $8.3 billion.

El Floppo said:
Walking Boot said:
Scoresman said:
Why did everybody hate that movie so much? I didn't think it was great, but it wasn't that bad.
It was terrible.

I was hoping it would be very good but it was like a made for TBS movie.

El Floppo said:
Walking Boot said:
Scoresman said:
It was bad.

Wait, the Nazis took "several tons of gold" from the residents of a German city? How did they have tons of gold, and why would Germans steal from Germans?

Wait, the Nazis took "several tons of gold" from the residents of a German city? How did they have tons of gold, and why would Germans steal from Germans?
I would guess that the gold in question wasn't confiscated from Germans (German-Jews were stripped of everything, down to tooth fillings) but plundered from the countries they conquered.

If true, I wonder how much gold the two treasure hunters hauled out before announcing their discovery?

Since one's not Polish, I have some hope this was thought of.

Does ground penetrating radar show gold? Is this the only evidence the treasure hunters have, or are we assuming the radar is only evidence to show local authorites that there's a train- not necessarily what's on it?

Does ground penetrating radar show gold? Is this the only evidence the treasure hunters have, or are we assuming the radar is only evidence to show local authorites that there's a train- not necessarily what's on it?
I believe the radar is showing what appears to be trains with gun turrets on them which they are using to help verify the claim before actually going in.

Users who are viewing this thread