What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

300 Tons of Nazi Gold Allegedly Found UPDATE (1 Viewer)

Does ground penetrating radar show gold? Is this the only evidence the treasure hunters have, or are we assuming the radar is only evidence to show local authorites that there's a train- not necessarily what's on it?
I believe the radar is showing what appears to be trains with gun turrets on them which they are using to help verify the claim before actually going in.
that's what I was thinking too.

I really wouldn't be surprised if there were armored trains in dem dar hills. armored trains without gold.

Hell, just the fact that they actually found a hidden Nazi armored train is amazing to me.

Raiders of Lost Ark stuff, if ya ask me! :excited:

Could be.... someone could have found them before and slowly emptied them of gold so as to not notify anyone that they were found.

Otherwise, it does not make much sense to go through the hassle of buying trains unless there is something in them you wanted to hide. Being the rumors of gold for all these years it makes the most sense. I am also assuming the two guys that say that they found it actually already explored it before notifying people about their find.

Could be.... someone could have found them before and slowly emptied them of gold so as to not notify anyone that they were found.

Otherwise, it does not make much sense to go through the hassle of buying trains unless there is something in them you wanted to hide. Being the rumors of gold for all these years it makes the most sense. I am also assuming the two guys that say that they found it actually already explored it before notifying people about their find.
I'm saying there might be trains with gold- or there might just be trains. they had armored trains- they may have decided to hide one/some while retreating, just in case they made a new offensive later. the gold part is cool- but I don't think has to be the only possibility for finding a train in the tunnels.

I'm saying there might be trains with gold- or there might just be trains. they had armored trains- they may have decided to hide one/some while retreating, just in case they made a new offensive later. the gold part is cool- but I don't think has to be the only possibility for finding a train in the tunnels.
As fast as the German front was collapsing on the Eastern front, I doubt that they would have worried about hiding armored trains (which would be fairly useless for an offensive or even defensive tactics) just for the sake of the armored trains. If they were hidden, they were hidden because the trains had something of worth in them.

There are other instances of the Germans attempting to hide valuables as they were losing the war.

Gold or some other valuable is the most plausible answer in my mind. But real life is often weirder than fiction so who knows?

As fast as the German front was collapsing on the Eastern front, I doubt that they would have worried about hiding armored trains (which would be fairly useless for an offensive or even defensive tactics) just for the sake of the armored trains. If they were hidden, they were hidden because the trains had something of worth in them.

There are other instances of the Germans attempting to hide valuables as they were losing the war.

Gold or some other valuable is the most plausible answer in my mind. But real life is often weirder than fiction so who knows?
weren't they also dismantling/destroying stuff to keep it out of the hands of the allies? IMO, just as plausible that dismantling/destroying a giant armored train might be harder than just shoving it in an existing tunnel and closing it off. :shrug:

but I'd love to see some crazy treasures come out of this- way more interesting.

Well the thing that make the most sense to me is similar to what i have read heard about the German retreat. They wouldn't hide the train for future use they would spike guns or disable weapons that the Russians couldn't use the weapons against them. They didn't want to have their own armored train full of Ruskies chasing them. That being said I can see a scenario where they just blew a tunnel to to bury the train before they took off.

Either that or it is full of gold.

shady inc said:
hopefully they find the ark of the covenant on oak island next!
Seriously, get some reality tv treasure guys over there stat! I want to see someone find some treasure for once. I'm admittedly hooked on those shows...

Good luck trying to find someone with $8 billion to spend on a train made of gold. Might of had a chance years ago, but Liberace's been dead for decades.

Walbrzych regional authorities will conduct the search, using military explosives' experts, in a procedure that will take "weeks," Zuchowski said.

A person who claimed he helped load the gold train in 1945 said in a "deathbed statement" the train is secured with explosives, Zuchowski said. The person, who was not identified, had also indicated the probable location of the train, he said.

Sounds like it might be a dangerous job recovering the treasure.

:popcorn:

Loan Sharks said:

Well the thing that make the most sense to me is similar to what i have read heard about the German retreat. They wouldn't hide the train for future use they would spike guns or disable weapons that the Russians couldn't use the weapons against them. They didn't want to have their own armored train full of Ruskies chasing them. That being said I can see a scenario where they just blew a tunnel to to bury the train before they took off.

Either that or it is full of gold.
The easier thing to do versus hiding a train in a mountain is to strap some explosives to select areas and light the fuse. Then you have an inoperable huge piece of metal sitting there.

I've been to Cracow

I've been to Dachau

Cause I've been looking for that train of gold

Its been in my mind

Since 1945

Yeah I keep searching for that train of gold

But I'm getting old

I know nothing about explosives. If you mine a train with explosives in 1945, would they still be expected to explode 70 years later?

They only get 10%? That is a rip off. If there was any way to pull off getting it without tipping my hand I would probably try. I am surprised the finders fee is so low.

Das Boot said:
I can practically see the gold!
OMG!! I see it! I see it! :popcorn: Seriously, what is taking so long? You would think that they'd be all over this like a pack of hyenas.
Legal bull####. The pack of hyenas is all over them already they call them lawyers. These guys spend their time and money finding this thing and they get 10%.

This is an awesome story. Surprised Tommyboy and the Wisconsin Five haven't come in here and made this all about the liberal agenda.

I'm not sure who or how you'd return bullion. How do you prove who owns what? Maybe paintings and family heirlooms but melted down and recast gold?

They only get 10%? That is a rip off. If there was any way to pull off getting it without tipping my hand I would probably try. I am surprised the finders fee is so low.
It's not centuries old buried pirate treasure. We're talking about personal belongings stolen from people who may still be alive, or the children of people murdered in the Holocaust.
So what. With such a low finders fee it is possible that these guys laid out significant money in this endeavor and they may lose money for their effort. That is like spending 10 bucks to mail someone their wallet you found and they only give you a 5 dollar reward. Kind of a #### move.

It's not centuries old buried pirate treasure. We're talking about personal belongings stolen from people who may still be alive, or the children of people murdered in the Holocaust.
So what. With such a low finders fee it is possible that these guys laid out significant money in this endeavor and they may lose money for their effort. That is like spending 10 bucks to mail someone their wallet you found and they only give you a 5 dollar reward. Kind of a #### move.
Yeah the equivalent of 30 tons of gold in finders fee is so small. I mean what does 200 million+ even buy these days?

I'm sure they have spent well over $700 million on finding the train, so yeah, that's a bummer

Yeah the equivalent of 30 tons of gold in finders fee is so small. I mean what does 200 million+ even buy these days?
And if its 2 million in art that gets returned? OR just military artifacts worth a few hundred K? It is a large chance that there is nothing of value on this train.

Also that last article said there looks like tanks sitting on train cars.

I think the scenario that is most likely is that the train has a small amount of value and they will get 10% of it. I guess if you think that the person that puts out the money and effort to find something like this is only entitled to 10% I will just disagree with you. Hell if a you turn over a bill to collections and they recover they get to keep around 75%.

Well, it's not like the ug it up or anything either. They are just pointing at the spot, and getting the authorities to dismantle the bombs/mines/boobytraps for them.

And I'm sure they knew well in advance what the deal was and went; for it anyway.

So no need to feel sorry for these two guys who are about to become richer than they were before they found the train.

And if its 2 million in art that gets returned? OR just military artifacts worth a few hundred K? It is a large chance that there is nothing of value on this train.

Also that last article said there looks like tanks sitting on train cars.

I think the scenario that is most likely is that the train has a small amount of value and they will get 10% of it. I guess if you think that the person that puts out the money and effort to find something like this is only entitled to 10% I will just disagree with you. Hell if a you turn over a bill to collections and they recover they get to keep around 75%.
This ain't collections. Treasure hunting is a gamble you might never find anything and if you do it may not be what you thought. Can't be risk averse.

Users who are viewing this thread