What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alfred Morris, Redskins RB - Value (1 Viewer)

I see there's a lot of division in this thread about him. I follow the Texans pretty closely and have seen a long list of RBs who did not make in in the Zone Blocking scheme as well as a select few that have. One of the key things that made Arian Foster successful was his ability to adjust to the hit so that he could progress for another yard or two after the tackle. This is something that Alfred Morris is able to do very successfully as well. Steve Slaton was a long time Texan and has some eerily similar traits to some of the RBs that the Redskins have rostered and started over the last year or two. He may have had the best speed and acceleration combo at the RB position in the NFL. However, he never was able to deliver the hit. Decent one-cut and go running style that fit the scheme well, but was not able to gain any extra yardage or stay healthy. He put up one 1,000 yard season (that Foster may have been able to turn into a 2,000 yard campaign) and was eventually dropped down the depth chart and moved. He was around for a few years, and for a lack of a better alternative, was able to stick around. I see a lot of similarities between him and Helu/Royster. Both are talented backs, but they run into their blockers, are not patient, don't get the extra yards, etc. etc. The biggest knock on Morris from his scouting report was that he fumbled 17 times his senior year. Oddly enough, this was Fosters greatest knock coming out of College too. His fumbling problems got him benched and he eventually went undrafted. Morris went 6th round. As you can see today, he was able to fix this issue and his patience and vision have allowed him to evolve into possibly the best RB in the NFL. I was fortunate enough to watch Morris in that 3rd preseason game when he put up 100 on 7 YPC with/against the starters. I could tell right away that he would stick. He had vision, patience, knew how to make one cut and split. I have not lived through the described torture that it has been owning Redskins RBs the past few years, but I have experienced it from the same system down in Houston. I know exactly what it feels like to have a RB with great physical ability that you think can put up the numbers but then he gets benched for the next back. Foster had 2 starts at the end of his rookie year when he put up 100 yard games in meaningless contests. He was significantly smaller then than he is now. Then the team went out and drafted Tate in the second round anyways. Foster worked his butt off that off-season to add bulk and become a better player and the more physically gifted Tate went down. Foster exploded onto the scene in week 1 and the rest is history. I see very good things in Morris' future in the NFL. I am an owner of his in 4/5 leagues I play in and over the course of the week have been unloading early-mid round backs I hit on for top WRs to complement my teams. Morris' value is high, but his value on your team is greater.I hope this was able to add some insight into the situation and feel free to ask any questions you may have.
I like the comparisons but he is far from being in the same league as Foster and he never will be. In his defense though, not many RBs are.
How can you say that definitively? It's not like Arian Foster was a first round high pedigree pick. At least Morris was drafted which is more than I can say about Foster.
I agree. Never is a very strong word. And sometimes an Arian Foster or Priest Holmes slips through the draft and becomes elite. Obviously I don't want to claim Morris will be elite, but it is clear that Mike Shanahan sees something that he likes a lot in Alfred Morris.

I'll say it again..... Shanny knows how 'great' Royster/Helu are and how many carries did they get when Alfred was supposedly struggling? many(sane) posters have mentioned what his stats were prior to running into brick walls salting the game away againt 8-9man fronts. Kind of like how Benson's per carry was better till the last 6min of the game when the bears were stacking against the run and he was getting stuffed behind the LOS. most of the posts in this thread are pissed off owners who have Helu/Royster on their bench or who have dropped them and missed out on Morris. the moment Shanny mentioned or smiled about the kid i drafted him and he's on my Taxi squad

who did Shanny trust in Crunchtime? the 2 2nd year players he knows and seen or the rookie with a supposed fumbling history? a lot can be said without saying a word

I'll say it again..... Shanny knows how 'great' Royster/Helu are and how many carries did they get when Alfred was supposedly struggling? many(sane) posters have mentioned what his stats were prior to running into brick walls salting the game away againt 8-9man fronts. Kind of like how Benson's per carry was better till the last 6min of the game when the bears were stacking against the run and he was getting stuffed behind the LOS. most of the posts in this thread are pissed off owners who have Helu/Royster on their bench or who have dropped them and missed out on Morris. the moment Shanny mentioned or smiled about the kid i drafted him and he's on my Taxi squadwho did Shanny trust in Crunchtime? the 2 2nd year players he knows and seen or the rookie with a supposed fumbling history? a lot can be said without saying a word
Another thing worth mentioning is that he coached the Senior Bowl for opportunities to get to know the players and hopefully unearth a diamond in the rough. This is the only running back hes drafted in the last two years. Someone mentioned that Morris will never be in the same league as Foster- to that I say Foster in his rookie season was not in the same league as the Arian Foster you see today. He has an unbelievable work ethic and routine as well as intelligence in reading blocks and understanding film and gameplans. If you look at Foster in his rookie year though, even Foster-lite was able to get two 100 yard games coming off the practice squad at the end of the year. If you ask me for an honest assessment- I think that Morris is further along than Foster was his rookie year. Will he have the work ethic and drive that Foster had to get better, add muscle and work on the little things to become the best in the business? Only time will tell. But he has everything on the checklist to become "The Man" in a zone-blocking scheme.

Quite often the only thing that separates a star from a back up is opportunity. Foster took his and ran with it as have dozens of lower drafted stars. No Foster fan should be looking down on Morris. They arent that different.

I like the comparisons but he is far from being in the same league as Foster and he never will be.
True, he's faster than Foster.
Is that true? I honestly don't know, but based on what I've seen on the field I kinda doubt it.
Foster didn't run at the combine, but he ran a 4.73 and 4.69 at his Pro Day. Other measurements: short shuttle 4.53, 32" vertical, 9-7 broad jump, and 7.09 three cone. Morris ran a a 4.65 at the combine and 4.63 and 4.62 at this Pro Day. Other measurements: short shuttle 4.19 (combine), 35.5" vertical, 9-9 broad jump, and 7.01 three cone (combine). It's nitpicking the point since they are not far off, but Foster - at least when he came out of college - was not more physically talented.The big difference between the two and what concerns me in PPR is that Morris only had 30 career catches, with a high of 15 in one year. Foster caught 83 passes and 39 in his junior year.

Cherrypick whatever you'd like to prove a point, but here's the view of Morris from one of the best Redskin beat reporters, John Keim.

In the last seven games dating to last season, the Redskins have had five 100-yard games from rookie backs and a 96-yard game. That’s impressive. Sunday, it was a commitment to the run that mattered, as did playing with a solid lead in the second half. This stat is worth repeating: only two of his 28 carries lost yards. The line deserves some credit for that because it wasn’t as if the Saints were living in the backfield. But Morris is a good downhill runner. His longest run was only 18 yards so his was a steady, workman-like performance. Funny thing is, he entered the draft with a reputation as a fumbler, but his hands have been very good since camp opened. And Mike Shanahan trusted Morris enough to have him carry the ball 10 times in the fourth quarter while protecting a lead. Says a lot. Morris’ touchdown in the fourth quarter was a big boy run when he crashed into linebacker David Hawthorne at the 1 and bulled in. Morris is so good at getting low on contact that Hawthorne hit his shoulder pads and couldn’t drive him. Morris won. And obviously the 18-yard run was a nice one in which he bounced wide to the left (and received a nice block from Darrel Young on the end). Morris started to the right, bumped into the back of Trent Williams in the middle and bounced outside. You can see his eyes scanning for daylight, yet he wasn’t hesitating at all. Has nice vision.

Second article on Morris from John Keim.

"I've been doing that forever," Morris said. "It was a good run. It just showed my willingness to get a touchdown, my willingness to not be stopped. It's something special, but it's something I'm used to."

It's something the Redskins are getting used to; Morris also did this in the preseason against Chicago's Lance Briggs. But Morris welcomes contact. When asked about carrying 28 times in the opener, Morris said he could have carried 30 more. When asked about pass protection, he said he wanted New Orleans to blitz more when he was in the game.

"That was unfortunate because I was looking forward to contact," Morris said.

"He's physical, man," Redskins fullback Darrel Young said of Morris.

That was evident in New Orleans, where he managed 3.4 yards a carry for 96 yards total. Morris only had two carries for negative yards in part because of his ability to fall forward for extra yards, a byproduct of his style.

"He has a lot of ability," Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said. "He's a guy that can hit the hole extremely hard, but has the lateral quickness to make people miss. That's a good combination."

BTW, I love how this guy answers questions:

On his mean streak and hatred for defenses:

“I do not like defenses whatsoever. I tolerate our defense because we’re in this thing together but I just do not like defenses. … I used to be a defender myself though — I played linebacker in high school — but after that a lot of people said I was too short, so that went down the drain so I just stuck with running back. And just that willingness to never let anybody touch my quarterback. … That’s my whole mindset: I’m going to try to take your head off.”

Lots of people are faster than Foster, but playing RB isn't about who has the best track times.

I think a lot of people are really overrating Morris. IMO he's a bottom 5 starter in the league whose value derives solely from his situation. This is exactly the type of guy I would be selling in dynasty. There are probably at least 10-15 backups in the NFL who are clearly better running backs than Morris.

CJ Spiller

Daniel Thomas

Lamar Miller

Bernard Pierce

Ben Tate

Jonathan Dwyer

Knowshon Moreno

David Wilson

Toby Gerhart

Pierre Thomas

LeGarrette Blount

Robert Turbin

I don't think Morris is even a top 40 dynasty back. Redraft is a different story. I don't think he has much talent, but neither do the other backs on the Redskins. So maybe he compiles his way to a 1000 yard season. He has a good opportunity for another strong FF game on Sunday against a pitiful Rams team. Long term, I don't see much upside. He will probably be out of the league within a couple years.

Tim Hightower was cut, and nobody has picked him up. It makes this talent evaluation pretty interesting

Morris looks okay, but I think you could stick anyone back there and he would look pretty good.

Hightower looks just as good.
I am on the clock in the late portion of a rookie draft trying to talk myself out of picking him.

He's a mediocre talent and he'll be on the pine in the near future.

Or at least that's what it seems like.
I just think it's too likely that he'll be supplanted at some point. What stood out to me about the Colts game is that Hightower came in and instantly looked as good as Morris, if not better.

Gary and Anderson were a long time ago now. In more recent times we've seen guys like Quentin Griffin and Ryan Torain make a big splash only to be nudged aside at the first sign of struggles. In this great tub of mediocrity, I think Helu, Royster, and Hightower are just as likely to lead the team in rushing as Morris, and that makes all of them pretty much untouchable for me.
I actually think Hightower is a better back, for one thing.

I don't particularly like Hightower. He has no big play ability, but he's quick, powerful, versatile, and experienced.

And I also think Morris is a mediocre talent. Late pick with no special physical qualities. That doesn't mean he can't be effective in spot duty, but I'm not seeing anything that separates him from the likes of Royster and Helu, who seem to offer more or less the same package.
Yea, I've watched some highlights. He looks pretty average to me. Serviceable, but nothing special.

I think the main reason he has value right now is because all of the other backs on the roster are injured or recovering from injury. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to have any staying power, although there are always a couple major surprises in every draft class.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4901&line=239656&spln=1

Tim Hightower: Tim Hightower's knee cost him his job

Tim Hightower - RB - WAS - Sep. 1 - 10:56 am et

The Washington Post believes Tim Hightower's release was due to the health of his knee.

Hightower, just 10 months removed from an ACL tear, played reasonably well in the third preseason game. Afterward, however, pain flared up and he was noticeably limping just a few days later. Hightower isn't going to attract any attention on the open market until he proves his knee is ready to go. Sep. 1 - 10:56 am et

Lots of people are faster than Foster, but playing RB isn't about who has the best track times.

I think a lot of people are really overrating Morris. IMO he's a bottom 5 starter in the league whose value derives solely from his situation. This is exactly the type of guy I would be selling in dynasty. There are probably at least 10-15 backups in the NFL who are clearly better running backs than Morris.

CJ Spiller

Daniel Thomas

Lamar Miller

Bernard Pierce

Ben Tate

Jonathan Dwyer

Knowshon Moreno

David Wilson

Toby Gerhart

Pierre Thomas

LeGarrette Blount

Robert Turbin

I don't think Morris is even a top 40 dynasty back. Redraft is a different story. I don't think he has much talent, but neither do the other backs on the Redskins. So maybe he compiles his way to a 1000 yard season. He has a good opportunity for another strong FF game on Sunday against a pitiful Rams team. Long term, I don't see much upside. He will probably be out of the league within a couple years.
A few things...- None of those guys are on the Redskins

- Foster is keeping a more talented Tate on the bench

- Until his injury, Jackson was keeping a more talented Spiller on the bench

- I traded Morris since I'm not sure about his long-term outlook and I'm rebuilding but I don't see anyone on the Redskins roster taking his job barring injury.

I'm the one who originally said Morris would never be on Foster's level, but are you guys serious? I really like ALMO, I like the way he runs but I seriously thought the consensus would agree with me haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Foster is keeping a more talented Tate on the bench
Not to turn this into another Foster thread, but I'll just leave this here: :rolleyes: On topic: Morris looked good and bad. He didn't break a lot of runs, and he had a lot of 2-yard gains. But he always fell forward, reacted well to contact, protected the ball, and kept the chains moving when it mattered. The previously highlighted breakthrough-and-conquer on Hawthorne for the TD was great football. In that way, he reminds me of BJGE: a decent talent who got the opportunity most people don't get, and seized it. I think he's the epitome of a "hold" player. Is anyone who doesn't have him going to pay a lot for him? Probably not. Even in dynasty, I think he's more of a chip you try to use to win this year, or a chunk of this year, and don't worry about too much if he fades off your roster in year or two's time. There's always room for turnover on dynasty rosters, and there's also always room for trying to win right now.

Dealt Morris for Denarius Moore straight up in a 16-team IDP dynasty league (PPR, start 1RB, 3WR, 1 Flex...1 pt per 10 return yards as well)...

Owner B

Fred Jackson, Mendenhall, Hillis, DeAng Williams

Dez Bryant, DeMar Thomas, Cruz, Sid Rice, Denarius Moore, Holmes, Burleson

Owner A

Arian Foster, Bush, Daniel Thomas, Morris, Leon Washington

Calvin, Fitz, Randy, Cribbs, Jacoby Jones, Jon Baldwin

BTW, I love how this guy answers questions:

On his mean streak and hatred for defenses:

“I do not like defenses whatsoever. I tolerate our defense because we’re in this thing together but I just do not like defenses. … I used to be a defender myself though — I played linebacker in high school — but after that a lot of people said I was too short, so that went down the drain so I just stuck with running back. And just that willingness to never let anybody touch my quarterback. … That’s my whole mindset: I’m going to try to take your head off.”
:thumbup:

Saw this on ESPN from Chris Harris, who sometimes I think gives lame analysis but sometimes brings up some good points. Here's what he wrote about Morris:

4. Alfred Morris leads the NFL in carries: That headline kind of says it all, right? Alfred who? The Florida Atlantic sixth-round rookie is Shanahan's new toy, and he wound up with 28 totes for 96 yards and two scores versus the Saints, while Roy Helu had five touches for 27 yards and Evan Royster had two touches for 10 yards. At this point, fantasy owners are so aware of Shanny's fickle RB decisions that it's almost become clichéd, but let's emphasize it by attacking it from two directions.

First, Morris himself looks like a fairly pedestrian talent. Of his 28 carries Sunday, 22 of them went for 3 yards or fewer, and as I mentioned Tuesday in my Free-Agent Finds piece, I counted exactly one carry on which Morris cut hard in the Shanahan mode and made someone miss while finding a seam. Otherwise, it was essentially power football: Run into whatever's in the way, whether it's a defender, open space or your own lineman. The day looks great because Morris barreled into the end zone from in close twice, and to be fair, that's something he seems very capable of continuing. But in truth after one game I'm going to say I don't particularly believe Morris is a "typical" Shanny one-cut back, because I rarely saw this dude cut.

Second, there's the, shall we say, mercurial nature of Shanahan's love affairs with RBs. Since Week 9 of the '07 season with the Denver Broncos, when Travis Henry was suspended, the list of men who've led Shanny's teams in carries is quite revealing. Here's an updated chart that I used in the Hard Count last year, illustrating this behavior:

(table here -- see link to it below quote)

In 22 of a possible 52 games, Shanahan had a different RB lead his team in carries than the week before. (I'm ignoring the first game on each of these four lists, since there was nothing to change from.) That's 42 percent of the time. I'll grant you that sometimes injury provided the impetus, but there's still something pathological here.

I ranked Morris higher than Helu or Royster this week, but I don't feel confident. Shanny might change his mind. By the end of the year, history dictates that he absolutely will change his mind, multiple times.
The table of RBs that led Shanny's teams in rushing is viewable along with the article at Doug Martin looks like real deal

Dan Hellie was on ESPN 980 this evening. He said the coaches and the players LOVE Alfred Morris. Barring injury, Morris is their guy.

Just another data point to either make you love or hate Morris more.

Saw this on ESPN from Chris Harris, who sometimes I think gives lame analysis but sometimes brings up some good points. Here's what he wrote about Morris:

First, Morris himself looks like a fairly pedestrian talent. Of his 28 carries Sunday, 22 of them went for 3 yards or fewer, and as I mentioned Tuesday in my Free-Agent Finds piece, I counted exactly one carry on which Morris cut hard in the Shanahan mode and made someone miss while finding a seam. Otherwise, it was essentially power football: Run into whatever's in the way, whether it's a defender, open space or your own lineman. The day looks great because Morris barreled into the end zone from in close twice, and to be fair, that's something he seems very capable of continuing. But in truth after one game I'm going to say I don't particularly believe Morris is a "typical" Shanny one-cut back, because I rarely saw this dude cut.
I find myself disagreeing with Harris's pieces alot and this statement completely exemplifies why I don't think he understands what he's watching. His glowing endorsement of Doug Martin is even more of a head scratcher because Martin was 23 for 80 for the same 3.4 ypc as Alf before the final play of the game where he ran straight up the middle untouched for the first 7 yds.

Didn't Morris have 90 yds on 20 carries and then got 8 more yds in 8 carries when the skins where looking to kill the clock?

Morris clearly has what it takes to be the RUNNER that WAS needs. The true story will unfold when we see the Redskins in a situation that requires them to abandon the run. If he can maintain some kind of a 3rd down role, even if he's splitting some touches with Helu, his value will remain fairly high.

Well I looked it up it was 89 yds on 20 carries of which 1 was a 1 yd td run so he could only go 1 yd. on his last 8 carries one was a 1 play 3 yd td drive so he could only gain 3 yds. the other 7 carries look to be kill the clock type of runs. Final stats don't always tell the whole story.

Edited for my bad math it was 89 yds not 81 on 20 carries.

Dan Hellie was on ESPN 980 this evening. He said the coaches and the players LOVE Alfred Morris. Barring injury, Morris is their guy.

Just another data point to either make you love or hate Morris more.
Shanahan clearly has some kind of affinity for Morris's game. Dug up this article from April, pretty interesting stuff. It should be noted that Shanahan and the Redskins coaching staff coached Morris's team for the Senior Bowl.
...Morris stuck around as a fullback. He didn't carry the ball during the game, but afterward he heard someone calling his name. He turned to see the head coach of his team, and current Washington Redskins' head coach, Mike Shanahan.

“He said 'You had a heck of a game,' ” Morris recalled.

Morris responded by saying that he didn't even carry the ball, which prompted Shanahan to say, “Nonetheless, you played a great game.”...
http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/119/washington-selects-fau-running-back-alfred-morris-.aspx

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4901&line=239656&spln=1

Tim Hightower: Tim Hightower's knee cost him his job

Tim Hightower - RB - WAS - Sep. 1 - 10:56 am et

The Washington Post believes Tim Hightower's release was due to the health of his knee.

Hightower, just 10 months removed from an ACL tear, played reasonably well in the third preseason game. Afterward, however, pain flared up and he was noticeably limping just a few days later. Hightower isn't going to attract any attention on the open market until he proves his knee is ready to go. Sep. 1 - 10:56 am et
Well gee, who are we going to believe? Your opinion that Hightower was better than Morris and a Rotoworld blurb, or what happened in the game?Hightower 5/28

Morris 14/107

Mike Shanahan might have found his next randomly great running back in Alfred Morris. Don't be surprised if the sixth-round pick opens the season as a starter.
link

I'm just saying...you can't really argue that he clearly beat out Hightower when Hightower's knee was so messed up that he was limping days after the game. It's not really a great achievement to beat out a cripple.

I agree with the analyst above. He's a pedestrian talent. A guy who probably wouldn't even make the 53 man roster for some teams in the leagues. It's blatantly obvious to me. You can bump this thread after he puts up another solid FF game against the pitiful Rams. Just be sure to also bump it two years from now when he's irrelevant. He is a dime-a-dozen stopgap guy and nothing more.

I'm just saying...you can't really argue that he clearly beat out Hightower when Hightower's knee was so messed up that he was limping days after the game. It's not really a great achievement to beat out a cripple.

I agree with the analyst above. He's a pedestrian talent. A guy who probably wouldn't even make the 53 man roster for some teams in the leagues. It's blatantly obvious to me. You can bump this thread after he puts up another solid FF game against the pitiful Rams. Just be sure to also bump it two years from now when he's irrelevant. He is a dime-a-dozen stopgap guy and nothing more.
That's funny because by 2002 when Mike Anderson was playing fullback you could've said the same thing about him. But I bet he won some fantasy trophies for people in 2000 though. I don't think people here want Morris to be the next Terrell Davis, the next Mike Anderson will do just fine for us redrafters.

I'm just saying...you can't really argue that he clearly beat out Hightower when Hightower's knee was so messed up that he was limping days after the game. It's not really a great achievement to beat out a cripple. I agree with the analyst above. He's a pedestrian talent. A guy who probably wouldn't even make the 53 man roster for some teams in the leagues. It's blatantly obvious to me. You can bump this thread after he puts up another solid FF game against the pitiful Rams. Just be sure to also bump it two years from now when he's irrelevant. He is a dime-a-dozen stopgap guy and nothing more.
Hightower was hurt most of last season, all offseason, games 1 and 2 of preseason, he played as much as he could possibly play while hurt during game 3 (which wasn't much), and was hurt after that and cut. He didn't outplay anyone. Morris was clearly the best Redskin back in the preseason and did quite well behind a substandard O-line in the first game of the regular season. Your opinion of Morris was formed too quickly. You said he looked better than Morris in the third exhibition game when he didn't. You're going to stick to your opinion, I understand that. It's still not that well-informed. Reiterating it doesn't make it any more informed.Morris will get benched if he puts the ball on the ground or if he starts getting Griffin hit too much in pass protection. He won't get benched on a whim, and he won't get benched if the O-line can't open any holes. The O-line took the best part of last week's game running the Saints sideways to tire them out and be able to open any holes. They aren't a good line. The coaching staff likes Morris, a lot, and this year more than before they're going with players based on ability. They have rookies playing at the RB#1, QB#1, and QB#2 spots. I think the coaching staff ranks the RB's this way:MorrisHeluRoysterI'd rank them this wayMorrisRoysterHelu (I think his injury problems will keep occurring)I don't think Morris is great but I think he's turning into "good", and if he doesn't fumble, get Griffin killed, or get injured will be starting all year.

That's funny because by 2002 when Mike Anderson was playing fullback you could've said the same thing about him. But I bet he won some fantasy trophies for people in 2000 though. I don't think people here want Morris to be the next Terrell Davis, the next Mike Anderson will do just fine for us redrafters.
Ill take anything I can get as long as its higher than his implied value.

One below average performance and you reach.for that comparison? LOL.....desperate in week 2...fantastic.

One below average performance and you reach.for that comparison? LOL.....desperate in week 2...fantastic.
:shrug: Was the second highest scoring RB in my league last week.

I think you missed the point dude.

is he bad in the passing game or is it just that helu is better?
Too soon to tell, only 3 targets for RBs, they all went to Helu.
I thought someone posted earlier that Helu was in for 19 snaps, many lined up wide. At this point, Helu is clearly the 3rd down/pass receiving back.I actually think NFL teams are general are better if they divide up the work load, so keeping Helu as the 3rd down back makes a lot of sense. Obviously is you have an Andrian Peterson or Ray Rice, then you want them in on passing downs too.

Users who are viewing this thread