What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Am I the only guy who thinks Boldin is better than Fitzgerald? (1 Viewer)

Anquan Boldin currently holds the NFL record for average receptions per game. His pro-rated numbers from every season of his career would be:

101/1377/8

90/997/2 (playing injured)

117/1602/8

You know what the most amazing part is? He's played 40 games, and only ONCE has he gotten fewer than 3 receptions. He has 5 or more catches in a ridiculous SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT of the games he's played. He has 7 or more catches FIFTY PERCENT of the time. Un-be-freaking-lievable.
And that is exactly the problem with Boldin. You don't get pro-rated fantasy numbers in any league I play in. I think the guy is talented and very good, but can we please call a spade a spade? The guy has had serious knee problems since college, heck he probably had knee problems in 5th grade while playing dodgeball. I just don't see how you can justify a late 2nd on a guy with his injury history.

Posted on this previously (the poll question mentioned was which one of them is better value):

While I like Boldin a lot, I think 4 things make Fitz a higher ranked fantasy WR:1. Injury history.This has already been covered. Boldin has a history that includes serious injuries, Fitz doesn't.2. Age.Fitz is 22, Boldin is 25. For dynasty, it is obvious that the player 3 years younger is preferable. But I would argue that it is also important in redraft, at least in this case. Fitz is so young that he is still maturing, both physically and in his understanding of the game. Boldin is already on the front edge of his prime.3. Yardage.Everyone raves about Boldin's YAC. But I think some fail to realize Fitz has averaged more yards per catch (Fitz 13.6 career, Boldin 13.1). So, yes, Boldin's YAC is great, but it doesn't lead to an edge in yardage or an edge in scoring (see point #4).4. Scoring.Boldin has 16 TDs on 259 receptions in 40 games. 1 TD every 16.2 receptions and 1 TD every 2.5 games.Fitz has 18 TDs on 161 receptions in 32 games. 1 TD every 8.9 receptions and 1 TD every 1.8 games.TDs are definitely volatile, but it is hard not to conclude that Fitz is more likely to score, whether due to better ability in the red zone, due to the Arizona QBs' and/or Denny's tendency to prefer him in the red zone, whatever.I don't feel confident in predicting much of a gap between them in receptions or receiving yards. It is just too hard (for me) to figure out which one of them will have more of either, and by how much. This means I have to believe Fitz will score more fantasy points.So I think Fitz should be taken ahead of Boldin. To answer the poll question then requires answering these two questions:1. How much better will Fitz be?2. How much later than Fitz will Boldin be drafted?For example, if the two of them are drafted within two or three picks of one another, then Fitz will be the better value. So it isn't correct to blindly say that the one drafted later is the better value. You need to know how much later.As with all such discussions, it depends on how it shapes the rest of your draft. If you can take Boldin at least a round later, then the question is whether the combination of (player instead of Fitz) + Boldin is better than Fitz + (player instead of Boldin). We can't really answer unless we know who the other players are.In general, if Boldin is taken a round later than Fitz, I would assume he will be the better value. But I would be surprised if that happens often. If the gap is less than one round, I think it becomes a toss up, and probably favors Fitz.

switz said:
LOL! I called Boldin before his rookie season. That's a FAR BETTER call than Coyle's, as EVERYONE KNEW Fitz was going to be great.
You da man Switz - no doubt about it.Any noteworthy insights into the rookies this year?

Anquan Boldin currently holds the NFL record for average receptions per game. His pro-rated numbers from every season of his career would be:

101/1377/8

90/997/2 (playing injured)

117/1602/8

You know what the most amazing part is? He's played 40 games, and only ONCE has he gotten fewer than 3 receptions. He has 5 or more catches in a ridiculous SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT of the games he's played. He has 7 or more catches FIFTY PERCENT of the time. Un-be-freaking-lievable.
And that is exactly the problem with Boldin. You don't get pro-rated fantasy numbers in any league I play in. I think the guy is talented and very good, but can we please call a spade a spade? The guy has had serious knee problems since college, heck he probably had knee problems in 5th grade while playing dodgeball. I just don't see how you can justify a late 2nd on a guy with his injury history.
Well, pro-rated was just my fancy way of saying "per-game". Boldin's per-game numbers are truly historic.Besides, he's played 16 games in one season and 14 games in another. I'm thrilled any time I get 14 games out of my #2 draft pick. It's not like Boldin is the second coming of Fragile Freddy here.

In 14 games last year, Boldin gave us 102 1402 7 In 16 games last year, Fitzgerald was 103 1409 10I'll give Fitz an edge for durability, but all else being equal I think AB is better.
Sounds like someone listened to Dorey on the radio show (Tuesday).

I wanted to bring this thread back again as I feel Boldin continues to get slighted as a fantasy player and as an NFL player. Up to this point in their careers Boldin has been the better NFL player and the better fantasy player. This is not to bash Fitz as I think he is a great player, but this is more so to say that Boldin does not get enough credit.

Boldin has played only 11 more games in the NFL and continues to out play Fitzgerald. The best way to evaluate the w players since they have not played the same amout of games (although it is close) is to look at a per game basis. Boldin has played 56 games in the NFl vs Fitzgerald who has played 45 games in the NFL. So let us look at their actual stats on a per game basis.

Boldin in 56 career games has 342 receptions for 4605 yards and 20 TD's

averags per game

-6.1 receptions per game

-82 yards per game

-.357 TD's per game

Fitzerald in 45 games has 230 reception for 3135 yards and 24 TD's

-5.1 receptions per game

-69.6 yards per game

-.53 TD's per game

If you work out their career averages on per game basis over a 16 game schedule 1 year in the NFL it would look like this.

Boldin

97.6 receptions per year

1312 yards per year

5.7 TD's per year

Fitzgerald

81.6 receptions per year

1113 yards per year

8.4 TD's per year

Now, I fail to understand why Fitzerald IS always ranked ahead of Boldin in dynasty and redraft. I understand that Fitz is a man child with loads of talent and a great player that has produced, but Boldin has shown that he has been better than Fitz. In dynasty Boldin is only 3 years older than Fitz and at the age of 26 Boldin is not old. I will let somebody reach for Fitz and take Boldin later for equal to better production.

I wanted to bring this thread back again as I feel Boldin continues to get slighted as a fantasy player and as an NFL player. Up to this point in their careers Boldin has been the better NFL player and the better fantasy player. This is not to bash Fitz as I think he is a great player, but this is more so to say that Boldin does not get enough credit.Boldin has played only 11 more games in the NFL and continues to out play Fitzgerald. The best way to evaluate the w players since they have not played the same amout of games (although it is close) is to look at a per game basis. Boldin has played 56 games in the NFl vs Fitzgerald who has played 45 games in the NFL. So let us look at their actual stats on a per game basis. Boldin in 56 career games has 342 receptions for 4605 yards and 20 TD'saverags per game-6.1 receptions per game -82 yards per game -.357 TD's per gameFitzerald in 45 games has 230 reception for 3135 yards and 24 TD's-5.1 receptions per game-69.6 yards per game-.53 TD's per gameIf you work out their career averages on per game basis over a 16 game schedule 1 year in the NFL it would look like this.Boldin97.6 receptions per year1312 yards per year5.7 TD's per yearFitzgerald81.6 receptions per year1113 yards per year8.4 TD's per yearNow, I fail to understand why Fitzerald IS always ranked ahead of Boldin in dynasty and redraft. I understand that Fitz is a man child with loads of talent and a great player that has produced, but Boldin has shown that he has been better than Fitz. In dynasty Boldin is only 3 years older than Fitz and at the age of 26 Boldin is not old. I will let somebody reach for Fitz and take Boldin later for equal to better production.
Is it really fair to compare the rookie stats of Boldin to Fitz when Boldin played his first year without Fitz on the team? I highly doubt Boldin would have posted those stats if Fitz was playing as well.So all of Fitz's games in your comparison have come with Boldin playing, yet Boldin's stats include the year when Fitz wasn't even in the league. Hardly a fair comparison.Why not compare both players while playing on the same team together? Makes for a much better comparison. You using Boldin's rookie numbers in the comparison of the two players is like bringing Marshall Faulk's past history stats into the discussion of who is currently better, Steven Jackson or Marshall Faulk. If you are searching for a fair comparison, compare them to each other when they both played together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boldin had the advantage of playing a full season without Fitzgerald, which helped his case a lot. I think Boldin is tremendous, but Fitz has more upside. Fitzgerald's best season has already been better than Boldins best (2005, 1409y, 10td) and he shared the field for 10 of those games with Boldin. Fitzy hasnt reached his peak yet I think while Anquan has maybe platued.

Boldin just isnt the redzone threat Fitzgerald is. Since Fitzgerald joined the team he has 15 red zone TDs to Boldins 6.

Boldin is better.

Fitz got far too many RZ looks because Green had a soft spot for him. He simply felt he could out jump CBs for the TD. Boldin was Carter, and Fitz was Moss. And Green kept calling his number.

All things being equal, with a new coach, Boldin is the better WR and is going to be a top 5 WR this year.

I wanted to bring this thread back again as I feel Boldin continues to get slighted as a fantasy player and as an NFL player. Up to this point in their careers Boldin has been the better NFL player and the better fantasy player. This is not to bash Fitz as I think he is a great player, but this is more so to say that Boldin does not get enough credit.Boldin has played only 11 more games in the NFL and continues to out play Fitzgerald. The best way to evaluate the w players since they have not played the same amout of games (although it is close) is to look at a per game basis. Boldin has played 56 games in the NFl vs Fitzgerald who has played 45 games in the NFL. So let us look at their actual stats on a per game basis. Boldin in 56 career games has 342 receptions for 4605 yards and 20 TD'saverags per game-6.1 receptions per game -82 yards per game -.357 TD's per gameFitzerald in 45 games has 230 reception for 3135 yards and 24 TD's-5.1 receptions per game-69.6 yards per game-.53 TD's per gameIf you work out their career averages on per game basis over a 16 game schedule 1 year in the NFL it would look like this.Boldin97.6 receptions per year1312 yards per year5.7 TD's per yearFitzgerald81.6 receptions per year1113 yards per year8.4 TD's per yearNow, I fail to understand why Fitzerald IS always ranked ahead of Boldin in dynasty and redraft. I understand that Fitz is a man child with loads of talent and a great player that has produced, but Boldin has shown that he has been better than Fitz. In dynasty Boldin is only 3 years older than Fitz and at the age of 26 Boldin is not old. I will let somebody reach for Fitz and take Boldin later for equal to better production.
Is it really fair to compare the rookie stats of Boldin to Fitz when Boldin played his first year without Fitz on the team? I highly doubt Boldin would have posted those stats if Fitz was playing as well.So all of Fitz's games in your comparison have come with Boldin playing, yet Boldin's stats include the year when Fitz wasn't even in the league. Hardly a fair comparison.Why not compare both players while playing on the same team together? Makes for a much better comparison. You using Boldin's rookie numbers in the comparison of the two players is like bringing Marshall Faulk's past history stats into the discussion of who is currently better, Steven Jackson or Marshall Faulk. If you are searching for a fair comparison, compare them to each other when they both played together.
Ok here you go.Boldin in 39 games with Fitz241 receptions, 12 TD's, 3228 yards6.1 receptions per game82.8 yards per game.31 TD's per gameover a 16 game schedule97.6 reception per game1324.8 yards4.96 T'D per yearFitz with BoldinFitzgerald81.6 receptions per year1113 yards per year8.4 TD's per yearI guess Boldin has been consistently good with or without Fitz.

This is from Boston Fred in another thread. A great post.

Boldin had 8 TDs in his rookie season. Then Denny Green came in, started taking Boldin out at the goal line, and Boldin has never reached his rookie totals again. Which seems more likely, that he somehow got worse at catching touchdowns, or that his opportunities went down? If you agree with me that it's the latter, then the next question is, do you believe that Fitzgerald will necessarily continue to be the primary goal line receiver under a new coaching regime that has no loyalty to either player?

I don't dispute that Fitzgerald is talented. I don't think you dispute that Boldin is also very talented. The question is whether Boldin, who averages .5 fewer games per year, but averages 9 more receptions and 100 more yards than Fitzgerald, has a chance to make up the gap of 3 TDs a year. In other words, in a PPR league, can Boldin, who has, by per season average, outscored Fitzgerald in fewer games played, become an even better fantasy player?

And more importantly, is it a smarter gamble to take Boldin having his fourth 1000 yard season in five years, or Fitzgerald having his second in four years? To bet on Boldin having his third 7+ TD season in five seasons, or Fitgerald to have his third in four? To bet on Boldin having this third 100+ reception season in five years, or Fitzgerald to have his second in four?

Across the board, Boldin seems like the safer and better bet to me. It's not wrong to bet on Fitzgerald achieving the potential that he's seen, but it seems wrong to bet so much more on it than on Boldin.

So the pro Boldin people here are assuming Fitz is not going to get better? Boldin has been in the league longer and did most of his yardage dirt from the slot position especially his rookie year. Im sure if Fitz was put in the slot he too would throw up big numbers. Not saying anything is wrong with that but the slot presents a whole different match up.

Sounds like you are splitting hairs.

Fitzgerald is clearly the better TD threat, and if Boldin can stay healthy (big IF - as a Noles fan I know, unfortunately) he can post respectable numbers.

In heavily weighted TD leagues there is no question - Fitz is the man. In standard leagues, I would give a slight edge to Fitz due to age, durability, total scoring and overall talent.

Oh, here's the rankings from PFW of the top 50 players in the NFL, from another thread. A great post.WR Larry Fitzgerald (20)

WR Anquan Boldin (46)
This only reiterates to me how Boldin does not get enough credit for what he has done in the NFL.Now, I am not saying Fitzgerald is bad. I think he is an extremely gifted WR who will put up great numbers, but I think Boldin as clearly indicated by stats has just as much chance to out perform Fitz, yet is always drafted behind Fitzgerald. So to me Boldin has more value.

Oh, here's the rankings from PFW of the top 50 players in the NFL, from another thread. A great post.WR Larry Fitzgerald (20)

WR Anquan Boldin (46)
This only reiterates to me how Boldin does not get enough credit for what he has done in the NFL.Now, I am not saying Fitzgerald is bad. I think he is an extremely gifted WR who will put up great numbers, but I think Boldin as clearly indicated by stats has just as much chance to out perform Fitz, yet is always drafted behind Fitzgerald. So to me Boldin has more value.
I still think it has to do with where Boldin did and does most of his damage. He plays the slot quite a bit and in doing that maybe that makes him a yardage monster cause it plays to his after the catch skills, while Fitz plays straight up in the X role where the jump balls in the redzone are?

WR Anquan Boldin (46)
I wasn't aware we were having a "who's the more talented player" discussion. I thought we were talking about the better fantasy pick. I'll willingly concede that Fitzgerald is more physically gifted.

You are acting as if a good WR is hurt by having another good WR play on the team- something that I've never seen anyone statistically back up.

Sounds like you are splitting hairs. Fitzgerald is clearly the better TD threat, and if Boldin can stay healthy (big IF - as a Noles fan I know, unfortunately) he can post respectable numbers. In heavily weighted TD leagues there is no question - Fitz is the man. In standard leagues, I would give a slight edge to Fitz due to age, durability, total scoring and overall talent.
I don't think injury should come into play with either one of these WR's.Boldin missed 6 games in 2004 because of a torn ligament in his knee. He has only missed 2 other games in 3 seasons. Fitz has only missed 3 games in 3 seasons.Injury should not be a concern for either player.I don't buy the durability argument. And everyone keeps on saying Fitz has more overall talent, (and I am not arguing that he may or may not have more talent) but this overall talent of Fitz has not been producing better numbers than the less talented Boldin.

Boldin had 8 TDs in his rookie season. Then Denny Green came in, started taking Boldin out at the goal line, and Boldin has never reached his rookie totals again. Which seems more likely, that he somehow got worse at catching touchdowns, or that his opportunities went down? If you agree with me that it's the latter, then the next question is, do you believe that Fitzgerald will necessarily continue to be the primary goal line receiver under a new coaching regime that has no loyalty to either player?

I don't dispute that Fitzgerald is talented. I don't think you dispute that Boldin is also very talented. The question is whether Boldin, who averages .5 fewer games per year, but averages 9 more receptions and 100 more yards than Fitzgerald, has a chance to make up the gap of 3 TDs a year. In other words, in a PPR league, can Boldin, who has, by per season average, outscored Fitzgerald in fewer games played, become an even better fantasy player?

And more importantly, is it a smarter gamble to take Boldin having his fourth 1000 yard season in five years, or Fitzgerald having his second in four years? To bet on Boldin having his third 7+ TD season in five seasons, or Fitgerald to have his third in four? To bet on Boldin having this third 100+ reception season in five years, or Fitzgerald to have his second in four?

Across the board, Boldin seems like the safer and better bet to me. It's not wrong to bet on Fitzgerald achieving the potential that he's seen, but it seems wrong to bet so much more on it than on Boldin.
Not sure I agree with the second line. Wasn't it more to do with Fitz than Green there?

both are very talented. But Boldin has been injury prone and plays a hard hitting style that is more likely to produce injuries in the future. Therefore I'd rank Fitz higher.

Sounds like you are splitting hairs. Fitzgerald is clearly the better TD threat, and if Boldin can stay healthy (big IF - as a Noles fan I know, unfortunately) he can post respectable numbers. In heavily weighted TD leagues there is no question - Fitz is the man. In standard leagues, I would give a slight edge to Fitz due to age, durability, total scoring and overall talent.
I don't think injury should come into play with either one of these WR's.Boldin missed 6 games in 2004 because of a torn ligament in his knee. He has only missed 2 other games in 3 seasons. Fitz has only missed 3 games in 3 seasons.Injury should not be a concern for either player.I don't buy the durability argument. And everyone keeps on saying Fitz has more overall talent, (and I am not arguing that he may or may not have more talent) but this overall talent of Fitz has not been producing better numbers than the less talented Boldin.
I'm actually more concerned about Fitzgerald's injury risk. Hamstring injuries are horrible for receivers. Here are Isaac Bruce's career stats. Can you tell me which year he injured his hamstring?| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1994 ram | 12 | 1 2 2.0 0 | 21 272 13.0 3 || 1995 stl | 16 | 3 17 5.7 0 | 119 1781 15.0 13 || 1996 stl | 16 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 84 1338 15.9 7 || 1997 stl | 12 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 56 815 14.6 5 || 1998 stl | 5 | 1 30 30.0 0 | 32 457 14.3 1 || 1999 stl | 16 | 5 32 6.4 0 | 77 1165 15.1 12 || 2000 stl | 16 | 1 11 11.0 0 | 87 1471 16.9 9 || 2001 stl | 16 | 4 23 5.8 0 | 64 1106 17.3 6 || 2002 stl | 16 | 3 18 6.0 0 | 79 1075 13.6 7 || 2003 stl | 15 | 2 17 8.5 0 | 69 981 14.2 5 || 2004 stl | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 89 1292 14.5 6 || 2005 stl | 11 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 36 525 14.6 3 || 2006 stl | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 74 1098 14.8 3

You are acting as if a good WR is hurt by having another good WR play on the team- something that I've never seen anyone statistically back up.
That has nothing to do with the point...the point is that the comparision was using stats from a time when Fitz wasn't even in the league. If you disagree about the comment that Boldin would have had worse stats if Fitz was on the team, then fine, but that doesn't take away from the point of the post.

So Boldin's 2 serious knee injuries should be completely disregarded? Quick - someone get C-Pep's agent on the phone!

Not sure I agree with the second line. Wasn't it more to do with Fitz than Green there?
Probably a combination of the two, honestly.

So Boldin's 2 serious knee injuries should be completely disregarded? Quick - someone get C-Pep's agent on the phone!
Following his serious knee injury in the past 2 seasons he has played 24 of 26 games and put up 2605 yards and caught 185 balls. He also played a full 16 games last season. Do you have Walker and Palmer down graded as well? or do you down grade every player that has an injury and comes back and produces just as well as before? I don't get your point. C-Pep came back and didin't produce, these other guys have. You are right though different players respond to injuries differently. C-Pep was a great example of coming back from an injury and not being the same. I will make a note to stay away from C-Pep :own3d:

I would also add another point.

Whisenhunt is well known for USING his talent [Ward and Randle El for instance]. Boldin fits the "flash" mold perfectly, and he now has more potential to score points off of "flash-like" points. Either running, or throwing!

Following his serious knee injury in the past 2 seasons he has played 24 of 26 games and put up 2605 yards and caught 185 balls. He also played a full 16 games last season. Do you have Walker and Palmer down graded as well? or do you down grade every player that has an injury and comes back and produces just as well as before? I don't get your point. C-Pep came back and didin't produce, these other guys have. You are right though different players respond to injuries differently. C-Pep was a great example of coming back from an injury and not being the same. I will make a note to stay away from C-Pep :banned:
So you prefer players who have had serious injuries over healthy players? Or just guys who are productive after the fact? Or is this the "because I said so" defense? What it seems like is all of the Boldin owners/guys with man "crushes" obviously prefer him over Fitz. Either that, or you stay away from touchdowns. I believe Fitzgerald has outscored Boldin almost 2 to 1 in total TDs over the past 3 years --- I guess we should pro-rate, use algebra or calculus to make this a better "Boldin-lover" figure..... ;)

Following his serious knee injury in the past 2 seasons he has played 24 of 26 games and put up 2605 yards and caught 185 balls. He also played a full 16 games last season. Do you have Walker and Palmer down graded as well? or do you down grade every player that has an injury and comes back and produces just as well as before? I don't get your point. C-Pep came back and didin't produce, these other guys have. You are right though different players respond to injuries differently. C-Pep was a great example of coming back from an injury and not being the same. I will make a note to stay away from C-Pep :bag:
So you prefer players who have had serious injuries over healthy players? Or just guys who are productive after the fact? Or is this the "because I said so" defense? What it seems like is all of the Boldin owners/guys with man "crushes" obviously prefer him over Fitz. Either that, or you stay away from touchdowns. I believe Fitzgerald has outscored Boldin almost 2 to 1 in total TDs over the past 3 years --- I guess we should pro-rate, use algebra or calculus to make this a better "Boldin-lover" figure..... :goodposting:
:mellow: I don't own either of these guys. In fact, in redraft instead of Boldin and Fitzgerald I would feel safer outside the Indy situation (2 WR 1's) to have an out right number 1 WR on my team like S. Smith, C. Johnson, T. Holt, T. Owens and in dynasty you can arguably add A. Johnson, and J. Walker to that list and down grade Harrison and Owens due to age.I guess I was just getting sick of hearing that Fitz is the out right number 1 fantasy WR for dynasty and is arguably not even the best WR on his team.

Fitz got far too many RZ looks because Green had a soft spot for him. He simply felt he could out jump CBs for the TD.
Ughh. I hate the 'coach out to get him' argument. If Green thought that... well he was right. In the red zone Fitzgerald has 15 TDs with 39 targets over his short career. Cant run the percentages right now, but im pretty sure that blows the doors off anybody else in the league over that period.

LOL at this thread. Last year I was a Fitz owner and I strongly sided with him. I just traded for Boldin and now I have both in a money league I'm in. So, from a perspective of owning both of them, my feeelings are that one will always jump up in a game and score some good points. However, there will be two to three games they probably are padestrian, and two or three games they each go off.

We can all go over the stats line by line, but until the new offense starts clicking and Leinhart develops a little more, neither one is a "safe" bet. They're both good bets, but not "safe" like Harrison/Wayne or Johnson/Housemandazahahddhahhdjfahhhgjhdh

LOL at this thread. Last year I was a Fitz owner and I strongly sided with him. I just traded for Boldin and now I have both in a money league I'm in. So, from a perspective of owning both of them, my feeelings are that one will always jump up in a game and score some good points. However, there will be two to three games they probably are padestrian, and two or three games they each go off. We can all go over the stats line by line, but until the new offense starts clicking and Leinhart develops a little more, neither one is a "safe" bet. They're both good bets, but not "safe" like Harrison/Wayne or Johnson/Housemandazahahddhahhdjfahhhgjhdh
I also own Fitz & Blodin in my money league. I got Boldin for very cheap and he has been just as productive over the last 2 season.

LOL at this thread. Last year I was a Fitz owner and I strongly sided with him. I just traded for Boldin and now I have both in a money league I'm in. So, from a perspective of owning both of them, my feeelings are that one will always jump up in a game and score some good points. However, there will be two to three games they probably are padestrian, and two or three games they each go off. We can all go over the stats line by line, but until the new offense starts clicking and Leinhart develops a little more, neither one is a "safe" bet. They're both good bets, but not "safe" like Harrison/Wayne or Johnson/Housemandazahahddhahhdjfahhhgjhdh
I also own Fitz & Blodin in my money league. I got Boldin for very cheap and he has been just as productive over the last 2 season.
Great. Thanks for that.

I think Boldin is a slightly higher injury risk, but makes up for it that he will get more opportunities than Fitz to get FF points by passing and by running. No link, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the new coaching staff really likes Boldin and even said (paraphrasing): "Watch out for Boldin".

Since Fitzgerald joined the league, percentage of touchdown conversions to targets in the red zone (WRs with 25+ targets 2004-06)

Player Targets TD Percentage

Larry Fitzgerald 39 15 0.384615385

Marcus Robinson 30 11 0.366666667

Javon Walker 28 10 0.357142857

Terrell Owens 48 17 0.354166667

Marvin Harrison 69 24 0.347826087

Deion Branch 26 9 0.346153846

Joey Galloway 36 12 0.333333333

Roy Williams 40 13 0.325

Darrell Jackson 38 12 0.315789474

Anquan Boldin 33 6 0.181818182

I think that blows the 'opportunity' argument out of the water. Fitzgerald is a superb red zone threat, which is what separates the very good from the elite imo.

mbuehner said:
Since Fitzgerald joined the league, percentage of touchdown conversions to targets in the red zone (WRs with 25+ targets 2004-06)Player Targets TD PercentageLarry Fitzgerald 39 15 0.384615385Marcus Robinson 30 11 0.366666667Javon Walker 28 10 0.357142857Terrell Owens 48 17 0.354166667Marvin Harrison 69 24 0.347826087Deion Branch 26 9 0.346153846Joey Galloway 36 12 0.333333333Roy Williams 40 13 0.325Darrell Jackson 38 12 0.315789474Anquan Boldin 33 6 0.181818182I think that blows the 'opportunity' argument out of the water. Fitzgerald is a superb red zone threat, which is what separates the very good from the elite imo.
Red zone targets is a bit misleaging as well. Boldin gets a reception that puts Zona from the 19 yard line to the 5 but Fitz gets the reception that puts Zona in the endzone. Can we get the same analysis using the 5 yard line instead of redzone...is it out there?

Certainly! Via the magic of Doug Drinen: between the 5 and goal

1 Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 11 targets 6 tds

2 Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 3 targets 0 tds

Interesting- although Fitzy is 54% conversion to Boldins 0%, one could argue you dont go to the guy that isnt producing.

Here's betwen the 6 and the 20 yard line:

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 30 targets 6 tds

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 28 targets 9 tds

Turns out Fitzy is more productive in that area as well.

mbuehner said:
Since Fitzgerald joined the league, percentage of touchdown conversions to targets in the red zone (WRs with 25+ targets 2004-06)Player Targets TD PercentageLarry Fitzgerald 39 15 0.384615385Marcus Robinson 30 11 0.366666667Javon Walker 28 10 0.357142857Terrell Owens 48 17 0.354166667Marvin Harrison 69 24 0.347826087Deion Branch 26 9 0.346153846Joey Galloway 36 12 0.333333333Roy Williams 40 13 0.325Darrell Jackson 38 12 0.315789474Anquan Boldin 33 6 0.181818182I think that blows the 'opportunity' argument out of the water. Fitzgerald is a superb red zone threat, which is what separates the very good from the elite imo.
Red zone targets is a bit misleaging as well. Boldin gets a reception that puts Zona from the 19 yard line to the 5 but Fitz gets the reception that puts Zona in the endzone. Can we get the same analysis using the 5 yard line instead of redzone...is it out there?
The red zone stat has to be taken as a good stat but somewhat misleading. If Boldin continues to get targets in the red zone from the 20 yard line but a lot less targets from the 5-10 yard line it does not mean Boldin is a bad touch down guy in the red zone it may mean he has had less opportunity at end zone looks. I say this though knowing that Fitz is a great end zone target. I mean there is a reason he gets those looks, but even though he has received those looks, Boldin continues to produce equally and better than Fitz.Also, unless you are in a TD heavy leauge, gambling on Fitz to out score Boldin by getting those additional TD's is a risk. Gambling on a player to score TD's is more of an up and down stat than receptions and yards.

Certainly! Via the magic of Doug Drinen: between the 5 and goal 1 Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 11 targets 6 tds2 Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 3 targets 0 tdsInteresting- although Fitzy is 54% conversion to Boldins 0%, one could argue you dont go to the guy that isnt producing.
Hard to blame Boldin for not getting these looks....3 targets inside the 5 yard line vs 11
Here's betwen the 6 and the 20 yard line:Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 30 targets 6 tds Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 28 targets 9 tdsTurns out Fitzy is more productive in that area as well.
32% vs. 20% In Fitz's favor and it's pretty decisive!

I don't feel strongly either way. I personally have Fitz rated higher but not by much. I do think however it is useful to simply look at their end of year ranks for the seasons when they have both played. Going by that metric Fitz has finished the season ranked higher than Boldin 2 out of 3 years.

Fitz

2004 - 30

2005 - 2

2006 - 24

Boldin

2004 - 59

2005 - 8

2006 - 17

If Boldin continues to get targets in the red zone from the 20 yard line but a lot less targets from the 5-10 yard line it does not mean Boldin is a bad touch down guy in the red zone it may mean he has had less opportunity at end zone looks. I say this though knowing that Fitz is a great end zone target. I mean there is a reason he gets those looks, but even though he has received those looks, Boldin continues to produce equally and better than Fitz.
Its certainly true that it doesnt say much about Boldin as it does about Fitz (although failing to haul in the ones that do go his way isnt helping him), from a fantasy standpoint its kinda irrelevant. Fitzgerald is one fo the best goalline WRs in the league, and apparenlty a better red zone bet in general. That isnt going to change so i dont see the Cards throwing to Boldin just to prove your point.In fact, I ran the numbers and it turns out the idea the Fitzgerald is a goalline WR is wrong. Fitzgerald has been the best WR in football between the 6 and the 20 over his career.

Player Year Targets Tds Percentage

Larry Fitzgerald 2004--2006 28 9 0.321428571

Javon Walker 2004--2006 25 8 0.32

Deion Branch 2004--2006 25 8 0.32

Terrell Owens 2004--2006 35 11 0.314285714

Hines Ward 2004--2006 47 14 0.29787234

Muhsin Muhammad 2004--2006 48 14 0.291666667

Roy Williams 2004--2006 32 9 0.28125

Keenan McCardell 2004--2006 25 7 0.28

Marvin Harrison 2004--2006 50 13 0.26

Donte Stallworth 2004--2006 27 7 0.259259259

Anquan Boldin 2004--2006 30 6 0.2

Now does this seal the deal or what?

If Boldin continues to get targets in the red zone from the 20 yard line but a lot less targets from the 5-10 yard line it does not mean Boldin is a bad touch down guy in the red zone it may mean he has had less opportunity at end zone looks. I say this though knowing that Fitz is a great end zone target. I mean there is a reason he gets those looks, but even though he has received those looks, Boldin continues to produce equally and better than Fitz.
Its certainly true that it doesnt say much about Boldin as it does about Fitz (although failing to haul in the ones that do go his way isnt helping him), from a fantasy standpoint its kinda irrelevant. Fitzgerald is one fo the best goalline WRs in the league, and apparenlty a better red zone bet in general. That isnt going to change so i dont see the Cards throwing to Boldin just to prove your point.In fact, I ran the numbers and it turns out the idea the Fitzgerald is a goalline WR is wrong. Fitzgerald has been the best WR in football between the 6 and the 20 over his career.

Player Year Targets Tds Percentage

Larry Fitzgerald 2004--2006 28 9 0.321428571

Javon Walker 2004--2006 25 8 0.32

Deion Branch 2004--2006 25 8 0.32

Terrell Owens 2004--2006 35 11 0.314285714

Hines Ward 2004--2006 47 14 0.29787234

Muhsin Muhammad 2004--2006 48 14 0.291666667

Roy Williams 2004--2006 32 9 0.28125

Keenan McCardell 2004--2006 25 7 0.28

Marvin Harrison 2004--2006 50 13 0.26

Donte Stallworth 2004--2006 27 7 0.259259259

Anquan Boldin 2004--2006 30 6 0.2

Now does this seal the deal or what?
You've had some seriously :shrug: in this thread.I'd be interested in seeing you add receptions to this data.

Code:
Player   Year(s)	Targets   Receptions	Catch Percentage	TDs	TD Percentage
Not that I expect it to be a lot different but just thought it would be interesting to see.

Same guys that mbuehner listed.

From the 6 to the 20

Code:
Player	Years	Targets	TDs	TD %	Receptions	Catch %Larry Fitz	2004-2006	28	9	32.143%	16	57.143%Javon Walker	2004-2006	25	8	32.000%	14	56.000%Deion Branch	2004-2006	25	8	32.000%	16	64.000%Terrell Owens	2004-2007	35	11	31.429%	27	77.143%Hines Ward   	 2004-2008	47	14	29.787%	27	57.447%Muhsin Muhammad	2004-2009	48	14	29.167%	23	47.917%Roy Williams	2004-2010	32	9	28.125%	15	46.875%Keenan McCardell	2004-2011	25	7	28.000%	14	56.000%Marvin Harrison	2004-2012	50	13	26.000%	33	66.000%Donte Stallworth	2004-2013	27	7	25.926%	15	55.556%Anquan Boldin	2004-2014	30	6	20.000%	19	63.333%
Nothing really jumps out at me other than Owens crazy high catch percentage. Interesting that Boldin has a better catch percentage than Fitzgerald but a much lower TD percentage (keep in mind this is for non-goal line red zone plays).

Not a problem:

Inside the 5:

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 11 targets 6 rec 6 tds

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 3 targets 0 rec 0 tds

Between the 6 and the 20:

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 30 targets 19 receptions 6 tds

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 28 targets 16 receptions 9 tds

Rest of the Field (opp 21 to own goal):

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 392 targets 222 recptions 3009 yards, 13.55 y/c, 139 FDs, 6 tds

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006: 338 targets, 207 receptions, 2989 yards, 14.44 y/c, 139 FDs, 9 tds

Basically there is nowhere on the field that Fiztgerald isnt more of a TD threat. He's also more productive in the open field with a higher y/c. Boldin has a better y/c in the red zone but a lot less TDs.

Not a problem:

Inside the 5:

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 11 targets 6 rec 6 tds

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 3 targets 0 rec 0 tds

Between the 6 and the 20:

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 30 targets 19 receptions 6 tds

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006 28 targets 16 receptions 9 tds

Rest of the Field (opp 21 to own goal):

Anquan Boldin wr 2004--2006 392 targets 222 recptions 3009 yards, 13.55 y/c, 139 FDs, 6 tds

Larry Fitzgerald wr 2004--2006: 338 targets, 207 receptions, 2989 yards, 14.44 y/c, 139 FDs, 9 tds

Basically there is nowhere on the field that Fiztgerald isnt more of a TD threat. He's also more productive in the open field with a higher y/c. Boldin has a better y/c in the red zone but a lot less TDs.
Nice.Thanks for the info.

Fitz. dominated the red zone in college as well. Rutherford, didn't always go to him, but he could have on just about every rz play.

I would be shocked if Boldin ever catches more TD than Fitz, if playing on the same team. Obviously he could end up with more catches/yards.

Users who are viewing this thread