What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

American Sniper - Clint Eastwood's latest movie (1 Viewer)

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/01/04/critics-american-sniper-chris-kyle-threatened-violence-rape-fantasies.html

Kyle wrote in his memoir, American Sniper,

Our ROEs [Rules of Engagement] when the [iraq War] kicked off were pretty simple: If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and they’re male, shoot ‘em. Kill every male you see. That wasn’t the official language, but that was the idea.
Chris Kyle bragged about looting Iraqi apartments in Fallujah:

“To me, the home I was in was just another part of the battlefield. The apartments and everything in them were just things to be used to accomplish our goal—clearing the city.” He even put a baby crib “to good use” as a rifle platform. Then he started “rummaging through the complex to see if I could find any cool ####—money, guns, explosives. The only thing I found worth acquisitioning was a handheld Tiger Woods game.”

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:
http://www.politicususa.com/2015/01/04/critics-american-sniper-chris-kyle-threatened-violence-rape-fantasies.html

Our ROEs [Rules of Engagement] when the [iraq War] kicked off were pretty simple: If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and they’re male, shoot ‘em. Kill every male you see. That wasn’t the official language, but that was the idea.

“To me, the home I was in was just another part of the battlefield. The apartments and everything in them were just things to be used to accomplish our goal—clearing the city.” He even put a baby crib “to good use” as a rifle platform. Then he started “rummaging through the complex to see if I could find any cool ####—money, guns, explosives. The only thing I found worth acquisitioning was a handheld Tiger Woods game.”
I want my money back. What a pos.

cstu said:

He was a better person than you

cstu said:

He was a better person than you
Need to update my notebook on McGarnicle. Had no idea he was that bad.

cstu said:

You don't get it: American Sniper = hero.

Any male aged 16-65 in a country invaded by the US = bad guy.

Here's a news flash: Hitler was 99.9% bad and Mother Theresa was 99.9% good. The rest of us fall somewhere in between. I love the scene in the movie where another soldier calls Kyle a hero and he just looks down. Because what does that even mean? Circumstances bring out the best and worst in people.

I think the movie has a lot more to say than just raising up this one guy as a hero, and it will be a shame if it all gets lost in attempts to tear the guy down posthumously.

cstu said:

Our ROEs [Rules of Engagement] when the [iraq War] kicked off were pretty simple: If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and theyre male, shoot em. Kill every male you see. That wasnt the official language, but that was the idea.

To me, the home I was in was just another part of the battlefield. The apartments and everything in them were just things to be used to accomplish our goalclearing the city. He even put a baby crib to good use as a rifle platform. Then he started rummaging through the complex to see if I could find any cool ####money, guns, explosives. The only thing I found worth acquisitioning was a handheld Tiger Woods game.

So convenient for you to kick back and judge a guy who put his life on the line on a daily basis for his country. That's sick. Yeah I know. It's a free country. That doesn't mean it's right, though. But, you're still free to decide which guys you support and which ones you pass judgement on, even though you know very little about what they do or go through.

Here's a news flash: Hitler was 99.9% bad and Mother Theresa was 99.9% good. The rest of us fall somewhere in between. I love the scene in the movie where another soldier calls Kyle a hero and he just looks down. Because what does that even mean? Circumstances bring out the best and worst in people.

I think the movie has a lot more to say than just raising up this one guy as a hero, and it will be a shame if it all gets lost in attempts to tear the guy down posthumously.
Preach!

So convenient for you to kick back and judge a guy who put his life on the line on a daily basis for his country. That's sick.Yeah I know. It's a free country. That doesn't mean it's right, though. But, you're still free to decide which guys you support and which ones you pass judgement on, even though you know very little about what they do or go through.
Did he go through a lot, yes. Did he love killing and perceive Iraqis as animals that need to be put down, yes.

He agreed to be told who to kill, the government told him, and he did it with fervor. Not the first, nor will he be the last, person to do it, but I don't have to think it was right.

So convenient for you to kick back and judge a guy who put his life on the line on a daily basis for his country. That's sick.Yeah I know. It's a free country. That doesn't mean it's right, though. But, you're still free to decide which guys you support and which ones you pass judgement on, even though you know very little about what they do or go through.
Did he go through a lot, yes. Did he love killing and perceive Iraqis as animals that need to be put down, yes.

He agreed to be told who to kill, the government told him, and he did it with fervor. Not the first, nor will he be the last, person to do it, but I don't have to think it was right.
Why do you hate America?

cstu said:

Our ROEs [Rules of Engagement] when the [iraq War] kicked off were pretty simple: If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and theyre male, shoot em. Kill every male you see. That wasnt the official language, but that was the idea.

To me, the home I was in was just another part of the battlefield. The apartments and everything in them were just things to be used to accomplish our goalclearing the city. He even put a baby crib to good use as a rifle platform. Then he started rummaging through the complex to see if I could find any cool ####money, guns, explosives. The only thing I found worth acquisitioning was a handheld Tiger Woods game.

I guess the difference between you and me is that I object to murder no matter who commits it. I don't think wearing a government costume while you're killing people makes it acceptable.

And I don't accept your premise. The fact is, Kyle wasn't drafted; he volunteered. And I don't think that the US government/military invading Iraq was done for the "country." It was done for certain special interests, who benefited from it. But for everyone else -- here and around the world -- it's been an unmitigated disaster.

It's fine that you don't agree with all this. Like you said, it's a free country. Or at least it used to be.

Go preach where the audience may find you worth reading....that's certainly not happening here.

*nerd voice* omg theres a thread about a guy who is considered a war hero, dont they know i dont think he is deserving of such praise?!?! I am going to trash him in the thread until everyone agrees with me!!

cstu said:

I guess the difference between you and me is that I object to murder no matter who commits it. I don't think wearing a government costume while you're killing people makes it acceptable.

And I don't accept your premise. The fact is, Kyle wasn't drafted; he volunteered. And I don't think that the US government/military invading Iraq was done for the "country." It was done for certain special interests, who benefited from it. But for everyone else -- here and around the world -- it's been an unmitigated disaster.

It's fine that you don't agree with all this. Like you said, it's a free country. Or at least it used to be.
You're making like flapgreen. Please stop.

Good movie overall, but I thought the sniper vs sniper angle was a little to convenient of a plot device for a biopic. Was it portrayed that way in the book?

cstu said:

Multiple layers of #######ry in this post. Nice work.

cstu said:

hey Jack White....somebody has to take out the trash...thank god not everyone thinks like you or we would be overrun with evil scumbags whos only purpose in life is to kill innocent people ...you know ...like you>

cstu said:

hey Jack White....somebody has to take out the trash...thank god not everyone thinks like you or we would be overrun with evil scumbags whos only purpose in life is to kill innocent people ...you know ...like you>
:lmao:

cstu said:

thats my RAH RAH speech lol

I thought it was a good movie, but not great. The calling home in the middle of battle came off melodramatic. If this thing wins Best Picture then it is not a great year for movies. Bradley Cooper upped his game but I actually thought the wife acted at least as well.

One of the best war movies in recent years but 10 years from now we won't be talking about it.

Michael Moore:

"My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse".

Wife does not want to see it. She says it will make her too sad. I'll probably wait until it comes on HBO or is available to rent through FIOS.
Man up dude. You want to see the movie then see the movie.Do you carry her purse around for her ??

Jeez
Yeah that's pretty bad. My wife had no desire to see it. I went with some buddies. No problem. I have a close friend that gets ##### slapped around by his wife, though. It's sad
I'm sure it just MUST be seen on the big screen huh? Versus sitting in my recliner with a beer and not paying a fortune?
Wife and I are heading out to see this shortly. Monday morning tickets are dirt cheap at $6 each.

I haven't been to a movie theater in probably 6 years. I usually took the kids for the latest Pixar or Disney movie. Once again, my kid is the reason I'm headed back. My son wants to be a Marine Sniper, and the release of this movie couldn't come at a worst time. Eventually he's going to see it with his friends and we want to have an idea of how the character is portrayed.

cstu said:

Also from the piece:

The Vietnam War’s most famous sniper, marine gunnery sergeant Carlos Hathcock, once said he agreed with Ernest Hemingway’s observation that “certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.”

“He got that right,” Hathcock told a biographer. But he added: “I like shooting, and I love hunting. But I never did enjoy killing anybody. It’s my job. If I don’t get those bastards, then they’re gonna kill a lot of these kids dressed up like Marines. That’s the way I look at it.”
This is really tough to do, write a book review while avoiding judging the actions of whom the reviewer is reading. I don't think Stein does that here. Not that we're in any better position to judge Stein, he emerged from Vietnam.

But as I understand it the conclusion is that the man went to defend soldiers in Fallujah and he is being condemned because aside from looking from guns and explosives (no problem if he would have found and taken those, right?) and money (ok, that's looting) he only actually took a handheld game maybe worth 5 bucks?

It's all sort of odd. It's a war, and Fallujah was probably one of those pits of despair that humanity occasionally falls into, but this is the thing for which he's morally damned. What are we damning him for that every soldier is not guilty of in every war?

"My first shot had missed him, embedding itself in the straw wall, but the second caught him dead-on in the femoral artery. His left thigh blossomed, swiftly turning to mush. A wave of blood gushed from the wound; then another boiled out, sheeting across his legs, pooling on the earthen floor. Mutely he looked down at it. He dipped a hand in it and listlessly smeared his cheek red. His shoulders gave a little spasmodic jerk, as though someone had whacked him on the back; then he emitted a tremendous, raspy fart, slumped down, and died. I kept firing, wasting government property." p. 6.
- William Manchester, "Goodbye Darkness", in which Manchester tells of his life as a soldier in the Pacific theater of WW2 and dealing with it afterwards.

Islam is mentioned a few times in his book, though the faith doesn’t have a starring role in the film except when Kyle is asked to defend a shot after a wife claimed the victim was carrying a Quran. In his book, Kyle writes that he told an Army colonel: “I don’t shoot people with Korans. I’d like to, but I don’t.” The Muslim call to prayer appears twice in the film, but it doesn’t probe the differences between Sunnis and Shiites the way Kyle does in his book.

“I hated the damn savages I’d been fighting,” Kyle wrote. “I never once fought for the Iraqis. I could give a flying f**k about them.”

Michael Moore:

"My uncle killed by sniper in WW2. We were taught snipers were cowards. Will shoot u in the back. Snipers aren't heroes. And invaders r worse".
I could see that in WW2, but not the way war is waged today.

Or maybe Moore played at lot of Quake III and hates campers.

Islam is mentioned a few times in his book, though the faith doesn’t have a starring role in the film except when Kyle is asked to defend a shot after a wife claimed the victim was carrying a Quran. In his book, Kyle writes that he told an Army colonel: “I don’t shoot people with Korans. I’d like to, but I don’t.” The Muslim call to prayer appears twice in the film, but it doesn’t probe the differences between Sunnis and Shiites the way Kyle does in his book.

“I hated the damn savages I’d been fighting,” Kyle wrote. “I never once fought for the Iraqis. I could give a flying f**k about them.”
Look, it's ugly. But if you read people like Manchester and others like Eugene Sledge (Old Breed) and Robert Leckie (Helmet for my Pillow) this is where it goes for a soldier. War is so ugly there may be no word for it that truly shapes it, it does horrible, terrible things to people. That above, about 'savages', could have come from soldiers in WW2 or WW1 or Vietnam or the Civil War. And on and on. The word "hate" does not do it justice either, (not speaking to Kyle here but) normal, decent people go to very inhuman places in war.

The collective attitude, Marine and Japanese, resulted in savage, ferocious fighting with no holds barred. This was a brutish, primitive hatred, as characteristic of the horror of war in the Pacific as the palm trees or the islands.
The war had gotten to my friend; he had lost (briefly, I hoped) all his sensitivity. He was a twentieth-century savage now, mild mannered though he still was. I shuddered to think I might do the same thing if the war went on and on.
With The Old Breed.

Michael Moore:

lol did this guy really just quote Michael Moore?

http://blurbrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/michael-moore-airport-fattie-01.jpg
There are a lot of lefties out there that I take seriously and can have fair and honest debate with, and there are some I don't take seriously at all, but this d-bag Michael Moore is the biggest POS.

He is one I would just love to punch in the throat over and over and over.

Look, it's ugly. But if you read people like Manchester and others like Eugen Sledge (Old Breed) and Robert Leckie (Helmet for my Pillow) this is where it goes for a soldier. War is so ugly there may be no word for it that truly shapes it, it does horrible, terrible things to people. That above, about 'savages', could have come from soldiers in WW2 or WW1 or Vietnam or the Civil War. And on and on. The word "hate" does not do it justice either, (not speaking to Kyle here but) normal, decent people go to very inhuman places in war.
And I understand that, but he's not a hero. He did his job well, but appeared to have zero awareness or caring about why we were there. There were no terrorists in Iraq prior to our invasion so it's pathetic of him to call the Iraqi people savages and want to shoot people for carrying a Koran. He was a psychopath who had fun killing people and the U.S. government gave him a free pass to do it.

By the way, this is not an attack on people in the military - only the ones who hold Chris' views.

Enjoyed this. Not the GREAT movie some in the media want it to be.

Cooper was exceptional. I agree with others that more early character development would have been nice.

Any critics of Kyle's actions have absolutley no foot to stand on unless they were in those situations and made the decisions Kyle had to make.
Kyle decided to volunteer to travel to foreign lands to murder people. So, in a sense, you're right; most of us would not make that decision.
He murdered some in the states as well if you believe what he wrote in his book.
This is not amusing and a terrible fishing trip. Just stop
It's not amusing, it's a fact.
You guys go ahead and trash the guy. I'm not coming along for that ride.

All in his self proclaimed exploits. Do a little half ### research and see for yourself.
:link: and not from infowars, either.

Enjoyed this. Not the GREAT movie some in the media want it to be.

Cooper was exceptional. I agree with others that more early character development would have been nice.

Any critics of Kyle's actions have absolutley no foot to stand on unless they were in those situations and made the decisions Kyle had to make.
Kyle decided to volunteer to travel to foreign lands to murder people. So, in a sense, you're right; most of us would not make that decision.
He murdered some in the states as well if you believe what he wrote in his book.
These rumors are about Katrina, and they may be true. I don't know if it was Kyle specifically but people locally claim this happened. In one instance, nurses (and I knew one) claimed that a sniper was set up at Baptist hospital. It seems fellow citizens were shooting at rescue helicopters that were seeking to pick up the sick and dying (and sometimes the dead), and so the area needed to be cleared. Allegedly. And if that was your relative or friend being evac'ed from a 125 degree hospital with no electricity and surrounded by water on the verge of dying I'm guessing you would be the first one to cheer the arrival of such a marksman.

I wasn't impressed with the movie. Not so much because of the story line, but more due to the directing. It seemed kinda choppy with the bouncing back and forth. I also feel they spent too much time on some of the combat scenes and then glossed over other things. I didn't really feel any emotion until they showed the live shots of people honoring him during the credits. [SIZE=13.63636302948px]If this wins best picture, then at least I know I'm not missing anything by not going to the movies.[/SIZE]

I will be curios to see what my son thinks of it.

I didn't really feel any emotion until they showed the live shots of people honoring him during the credits.
I agree. A lot of the scenes that were supposed to be "emotional" felt really clunky.

and the scene where he takes out 'Mustafa' or whatever...right afterwords the black guy with him says something like "good job, (dead friend) would be proud". Then he gives him a :thumubup:. I almost laughed

Not so much because of the story line, but more due to the directing. It seemed kinda choppy with the bouncing back and forth.
That's how the book was written and it was even worse, which is why I didn't like the book.

Users who are viewing this thread