What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

I drafted ASJ in best ball format prior to Kerse trade, which cuts his anticipated production in half.  Jets really need to give Petty a shot for Kerse and ASJ to both have value.

Actually, they mixed a quote from the coach with a report from ESPN New York...you can follow the link at the bottom of the ASJ blurb....

Jets coach Todd Bowles said TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has "got to get in a little better shape. That's to be expected with two weeks off, but he'll get going." Bowles said it's too early to say for sure that Seferian-Jenkins will be active on Sunday against the Dolphins. It would be a surprise if he's not. The Jets have four other tight ends on the roster, but three are dealing with injuries. Seferian-Jenkins is eligible to return from a two-game suspension.

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
That's a much better quote, thanks! 

Actually, they mixed a quote from the coach with a report from ESPN New York...you can follow the link at the bottom of the ASJ blurb....

Jets coach Todd Bowles said TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins has "got to get in a little better shape. That's to be expected with two weeks off, but he'll get going." Bowles said it's too early to say for sure that Seferian-Jenkins will be active on Sunday against the Dolphins. It would be a surprise if he's not. The Jets have four other tight ends on the roster, but three are dealing with injuries. Seferian-Jenkins is eligible to return from a two-game suspension.

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer
Usually I like Rotoworlds snippets but, wow. It's almost like they manipulated the media for one reason or another because this spread like wildfire (with Yahoo posting a similar story). That's why I like coming to this board still.

Usually I like Rotoworlds snippets but, wow. It's almost like they manipulated the media for one reason or another because this spread like wildfire (with Yahoo posting a similar story). That's why I like coming to this board still.
Seriously - they put the most negative spin on this one imaginable. It's like one of the Roto writers is blind bidding on ASF & talking hm down or something. It's seriously that bad - took the quote, cropped and manipulted it. That's awful. 

Jets TE Will Tye (illness) is listed as questionable for Week 3.

It leaves Austin Seferian-Jenkins as the only healthy tight end with Jordan Leggett (doubtful, knee) and Eric Tomlinson (elbow) sidelined. Tye should play, but his status is going to lead to a larger workload for ASJ in his first game back.
So... ASJ is now the only completely healthy TE left.

Thinking of starting him over Cameron Brate @ MIN.

The comments by his coach concern me. How does he get out of shape in 2 weeks unless he's back to drinking? It's odd. Hopefully just coaching mind games for the opponent but I'm a little concerned. 

The comments by his coach concern me. How does he get out of shape in 2 weeks unless he's back to drinking? It's odd. Hopefully just coaching mind games for the opponent but I'm a little concerned. 
Jedi mind games. There is an interview of ASJ the day after the comment was made and he looks as slim as he did in the preseason. You don't get out of shape after two weeks unless you were out of shape in the preseason.

from Faust's article

Although Seferian-Jenkins wasn’t allowed to practice during his suspension, he attended team and positional group meetings and worked out at the team facility. He watched the pair of Jets’ losses at home.

The 6-5 tight end will be a welcomed addition in the pass and run games for offensive coordinator John Morton, who has already dealt with a litany of injuries to his tight ends.

“We’re fired up to have him back,” quarterback Josh McCown said.

Seferian-Jenkins, who radically altered his lifestyle and eating habits en route to losing 33 pounds this offseason, could add a valuable dimension down the middle of the field.
Todd Bowles' reaction to seeing ASJ earlier in the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was already mentioned but those comments were completely taken out of context. Read above.

I honestly don't know why ASJ gets the hype he does. I feel for the kid and liked to see (or anyone for that matter) turn their lives around with dedication and hard work, so he's got that going for him. 

But 

His first year, he had 21 catches for 221 yards and 2 TDs, the with Winston the following year, had 338 and 4 TDs. His 2016 season is a wash, as it's hard to extract if he was on pace to make a step-change with only two games, but even then he had I think 3 receptions and a TD.

His size makes him a redzone target, but he never seemed to be "the guy" there, both in terms of targets or receptions or overall usage.

I see people fawn over him, but not sure he's actually proved he's anything but a second-plus end zone read with (so far) a pretty low floor. 

Maybe I'm cynical, but I think taking the "Missouri" approach with ASJ is the most logical -- he's got to show me first that his usage and execution is there before I consider him even a TE worth streaming, let alone picking up on the WW.

What am I missing?

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
I honestly don't know why ASJ gets the hype he does. I feel for the kid and liked to see (or anyone for that matter) turn their lives around with dedication and hard work, so he's got that going for him. 

But 

His first year, he had 21 catches for 221 yards and 2 TDs, the with Winston the following year, had 338 and 4 TDs. His 2016 season is a wash, as it's hard to extract if he was on pace to make a step-change with only two games, but even then he had I think 3 receptions and a TD.

His size makes him a redzone target, but he never seemed to be "the guy" there, both in terms of targets or receptions or overall usage.

I see people fawn over him, but not sure he's actually proved he's anything but a second-plus end zone read with (so far) a pretty low floor. 

Maybe I'm cynical, but I think taking the "Missouri" approach with ASJ is the most logical -- he's got to show me first that his usage and execution is there before I consider him even a TE worth streaming, let alone picking up on the WW.

What am I missing?
The TE position is an absolute disaster right now. Anyone with a pulse has become a viable option in some fashion.

The Dolphins gave up 10 receptions and a TD to San Diego TEs last week. ASJ isn't Henry/Gates and McCown ain't Rivers but if the Jets are playing from behind it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get some production given their lack of talent nearly everywhere on offense. 

I grabbed ASJ in a couple leagues this week and paid nothing to do it. In one where I didn't get Watson I have to start him since Eifert is my regular TE. I'll take 6-7 points in PPR. If he delivers more maybe I'll have found something. We'll see. 

The TE position is an absolute disaster right now. Anyone with a pulse has become a viable option in some fashion.

The Dolphins gave up 10 receptions and a TD to San Diego TEs last week. ASJ isn't Henry/Gates and McCown ain't Rivers but if the Jets are playing from behind it wouldn't be a surprise to see him get some production given their lack of talent nearly everywhere on offense. 

I grabbed ASJ in a couple leagues this week and paid nothing to do it. In one where I didn't get Watson I have to start him since Eifert is my regular TE. I'll take 6-7 points in PPR. If he delivers more maybe I'll have found something. We'll see. 
Good point, but even with the rash of TE injuries, would imagine a few of these guys are available, all of whom I think are better plays this week or going forward at this stage with what ASJ has shown me:

Cook, Doyle, Engram, Fleener, Watson, Brate, Clay, Zach Miller

We'll see.

Good point, but even with the rash of TE injuries, would imagine a few of these guys are available, all of whom I think are better plays this week or going forward at this stage with what ASJ has shown me:

We'll see.
I'd start all of them without hesitation over ASJ with the possible exception of Miller who I think is safer but lacks meaningful upside. I had that choice on the Waiver Wire this week and prioritized ASJ higher. Hopefully it wasn't a mistake. Miller has definitely been active the first two games and could continue to be but I still think ASJ presents a little more upside. I think he carries more TD potential. 

We'll see.
I'd start ASJ this week over all of these, and likely the following weeks. Every floor on this list is like 3 catches for 35, including ASJ. But his ceiling is mouth watering.  I can't get excited about the ceiling of any of these other names. Engram if Eli isn't washed. Brate and OJ cancel each other for now I would think. I like Zach Miller and Cook a bit but I'd still roll the dice with ASJ. He also just turns 25 this week. 

The reason I'm playing him is this:

1) Based on the other options on the Jets... he's at least the #2 to Jermaine Kearse.

2) His QB played in an offense that made a star out of TEs.

3) The OC runs an offense that features TEs.

4) He's one of the few Jets offensive weapons on the roster who actually played in the preseason.

5) He's the only healthy TE on the roster outside of Will "Pass Blocking Jesus" Tye.

6) Forget if he's anything close to what he was... at 6'5 he's a definite red zone target who also has the chance to be a 5-7 catch guy also.

7) ... it's the Jets. They're going to be behind constantly and the offense is starting to get just good enough where it's not an embarrassment.

If McCown can make gary barnidge a household name he can make ASJ a star.  McCown loves throwing to his tight ends. 

It will take a week or 2 for ASJ to get back into game shape it seems.  But then it should be full steam ahead.   Who else do the jets have?  He's gonna be featured.  I'd be shocked if he wasn't.  

I'm starting him. I have Eifert but he's out....The way TEs are sucking this season, if he can get 5-6 catches for 70 plus yards and maybe a TD....I'd be stoked!

I'm starting him. I have Eifert but he's out....The way TEs are sucking this season, if he can get 5-6 catches for 70 plus yards and maybe a TD....I'd be stoked!
TDs are variable, but I'll take the 5-6 for 70 any day. I think he can eventually be like a slightly shorter, more athletic Kyle Rudolph.

WIth Timmons suspended and Maualuga not in game shape, Miami Has Kiko Alonzo and 2 special teamers next to him at LB.  Rashad Jones is an excellent safety, but Nate Allen is garbage.  So out of 3 LB and 2 Safeties, you have 2 true NFL starters, and 3 guys that do not belong in a starting lineup.  The Jets have 2 WR that dont belong in starting lineups, and Miami's starting CBs are not terrible.  

I cannot speak for the Jets, but if I am designing the gameplan, I am attacking those LBs and Safeties with arguably (and sadly) my best weapon on offense, and I am doing it a lot.  I think ASJ is a fine play this week if you need a TE.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins caught 5-of-6 targets for 31 yards against Dolphins in Week 3.

The Jets didn't limit him for his first game and he was out there to start the first series. Seferian-Jenkins wasn't a lock to be active for this game, so he surpassed most expectations in a win at home. Still, it'll be tough to use him in one-TE leagues and he'll get a tough matchup against the Jaguars in Week 4. Sep 24 - 4:41 PM
Not a bad start.  Maybe there will be some breakout games ahead. 

decent showing and reason to be optimistic. not good enough box score to create much hype and he'll probably still be pretty cheap in this week's waivers.

i've already got ertz and henry, though, so i'm staying away for now but looking over my leaguemates' TEs, i can imagine a couple small bids going his way.

Yeah think I will put him in over Chuck Clay (and I love Clay for what he is).  Like the note about Jax basically funneling targets to the middle of the field because of their good corners.

Yeah think I will put him in over Chuck Clay (and I love Clay for what he is).  Like the note about Jax basically funneling targets to the middle of the field because of their good corners.
Hmmm, I got Clay plugged in right now but have the option to grab ASJ... how good do you feel about this haha

I cut Julius to pick him up...now debating starting him over Rudolph, who must have banged Case Keenum's mother.
In the exact same boat - missing those TD targets in the redzone that Bradford always seemed to be looking at. Struggling to trust the Jets to even get in the redzone with ASJ.

Hmmm, I got Clay plugged in right now but have the option to grab ASJ... how good do you feel about this haha
Not great.  I imagine any weekly ranking you see will have Clay several spots over ASJ and I am not sure which direction I will go on gameday, but I do think ASJ makes a serviceable play this week.

Starting him this week over Fleener. 

Cant argue with the targets - some weeks will be a reasonably high floor, some weeks he'll score a TD.

He has top 6 ROS potential on a receicer starved team, IMO. 

I cut Julius to pick him up...now debating starting him over Rudolph, who must have banged Case Keenum's mother.
FWIW I think the main weakness in the Lions defense is their LB coverage, so this might be a good game for Rudolph as a result of that.

Would likely be better with Bradford than Keenum though, which is possible. Zimmer said Bradford is the starter when he is healthy enough. Not sure if Bradford will be healthy enough for this week though.

ASJ is a decent alternative I think, I have not looked at the Jets match up yet though.

I'd probably start Clay over ASJ. similar situation with a more proven track record so far.

Of the WW special TEs is probably rank them this week as:

Brate ~> Clay ~> ASJ 

Dropped Dion Lewis from my dynasty league team and picked up the Pastafarian. Pickings are slim on the wire with 12 teams and 22 active/15 taxi squad spots. 

I'd probably start Clay over ASJ. similar situation with a more proven track record so far.

Of the WW special TEs is probably rank them this week as:

Brate ~> Clay ~> ASJ 
As a Bronco fan watching the Bills last week I was surprised by how many different targets got involved in the passing game for the Bills. I thought there would be a lot of work to Clay and it was really a lower target rate then I imagined going in

As a Bronco fan watching the Bills last week I was surprised by how many different targets got involved in the passing game for the Bills. I thought there would be a lot of work to Clay and it was really a lower target rate then I imagined going in
He's averaged what, 6 targets per game? It's been very consistent for Clay with the exception of the game at panthers.      

He was also 6/6 and has scored in 2 of 3 games. Pretty decent for a FA pickup for anyone who punted on TE, like I always do. 

i think ASJ will produce similarly with potentially more scoring opportunities since Tyrod is likely to rush for/rob more TDs.

Users who are viewing this thread