What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Belichick Quotes on "Running up the Score" (4 Viewers)

mad sweeney said:
Up until this season I had nothing but respect for the team, BB's genius, their management decisions and Brady. And I have no stake in the AFC other than SD, and I don't hate them for "beating" the Chargers, the Chargers had that game if not for a boneheaded play by Parker on a punt return and a less than brilliant decision by McCree to not just fall down after picking of Brady.... But like so many people who admired the Pats with no stake in them, their tactics and cheating (not something that "happened to them) has soured me on them on this, their greatest season. I would so much rather be talking about how sick they are, about how happy I am that I grabbed Welker in all my leagues.
Oh dude get over yourself. Don't play the "I used to like them" martyr here. You were the biggest tool in the pool when Spygate came out... starting 10 threads a day against the patriots. ;)

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
As much as I respect Steve Young's opinion, and agree that its unfortunate that everyone's talking about the Pats running up the score, its only his opinion. And he'll just have to wait another week to resume his discussions on how great of a team they are. One week of 'running up the score' talk wont kill anyone. But so far in this short week, of all the NFL analysts Ive heard on the subject, Young and Mark Schlereth are the only 2 guys Ive heard take that stance. And Schlereth played for Gibbs on a Superbowl team, so his stance is as expected. But Ditka, Parcells, Tom Jackson, Merrill Hoge, Key Johnson, Jim Mora, Terrell Davis, Mike Golic, John Riggins, Brian Billick and god knows how many countless others have taken the other side. Its all a matter of opinion. The most interesting angle to this 'running up the score' talk is imo the most obvious and forgotten factor. New England's next opponent. Theyre about to play undoubtedly their biggest game of the year @ the Colts, a team that has beaten them 3 straight games, averaging 35 points/game while doing it. New England knows it may have to score 40 or 50 to win that game. And unfortunately, they had to kick Washington's butt real good to prepare. Its nothing personal.
You have not listened to what John Clayton has been saying and writing.And he is saying he is hearing it throughout the league that people are taking notice.Ditka has not completely taken the other side. Sounded to me like he said if you want to do something about it...do it. Pretty sure I heard him say there were those who would have taken care of it by now in years past.
Why would I want to listen to John Clayton on a football issue? He's never played. I listed the names of men who've played the game. Clayton is a football gossip columnist. I dont need to really hear his remarks on what's being said. I know what it is. People dont like it. Not exactly a giant revelation. The unwritten rule code requires redemption. I get it.
Because Clayton is 10000000 X more plugged into what is going on around the league than you are.Because he speaks to people all over the place and much of what he said comes from his sources inside the league and what other teams are saying. :thumbup:
roll your eyes at your little brother. point being of course that some things are so obvious we dont need ET telling us about it. Id rather hear opinions straight from an Ex-Pro's mouth. Not get it indirectly from the NFL's version of Geraldo. When I want to know when Laurence Maroney will be ready to come out and gain 75yds, I'll listen to Clayton. Most everything else, I'll think for myself.

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
As much as I respect Steve Young's opinion, and agree that its unfortunate that everyone's talking about the Pats running up the score, its only his opinion. And he'll just have to wait another week to resume his discussions on how great of a team they are. One week of 'running up the score' talk wont kill anyone. But so far in this short week, of all the NFL analysts Ive heard on the subject, Young and Mark Schlereth are the only 2 guys Ive heard take that stance. And Schlereth played for Gibbs on a Superbowl team, so his stance is as expected. But Ditka, Parcells, Tom Jackson, Merrill Hoge, Key Johnson, Jim Mora, Terrell Davis, Mike Golic, John Riggins, Brian Billick and god knows how many countless others have taken the other side. Its all a matter of opinion. The most interesting angle to this 'running up the score' talk is imo the most obvious and forgotten factor. New England's next opponent. Theyre about to play undoubtedly their biggest game of the year @ the Colts, a team that has beaten them 3 straight games, averaging 35 points/game while doing it. New England knows it may have to score 40 or 50 to win that game. And unfortunately, they had to kick Washington's butt real good to prepare. Its nothing personal.
You have not listened to what John Clayton has been saying and writing.And he is saying he is hearing it throughout the league that people are taking notice.Ditka has not completely taken the other side. Sounded to me like he said if you want to do something about it...do it. Pretty sure I heard him say there were those who would have taken care of it by now in years past.
Why would I want to listen to John Clayton on a football issue? He's never played. I listed the names of men who've played the game. Clayton is a football gossip columnist. I dont need to really hear his remarks on what's being said. I know what it is. People dont like it. Not exactly a giant revelation. The unwritten rule code requires redemption. I get it.
Because Clayton is 10000000 X more plugged into what is going on around the league than you are.Because he speaks to people all over the place and much of what he said comes from his sources inside the league and what other teams are saying. :thumbup:
roll your eyes at your little brother. point being of course that some things are so obvious we dont need ET telling us about it. Id rather hear opinions straight from an Ex-Pro's mouth. Not get it indirectly from the NFL's version of Geraldo. When I want to know when Laurence Maroney will be ready to come out and gain 75yds, I'll listen to Clayton. Most everything else, I'll think for myself.
You listed people who have come down on one side. (yeah...that is thinking for yourself)I state that Clayton has talked to many people actually still in the league and you ask why we should listen to him.Why the hell should we listen to people not even in the league anymore, vs. reports of people that are still playing and coaching?Yo

mad sweeney said:
Up until this season I had nothing but respect for the team, BB's genius, their management decisions and Brady. And I have no stake in the AFC other than SD, and I don't hate them for "beating" the Chargers, the Chargers had that game if not for a boneheaded play by Parker on a punt return and a less than brilliant decision by McCree to not just fall down after picking of Brady.... But like so many people who admired the Pats with no stake in them, their tactics and cheating (not something that "happened to them) has soured me on them on this, their greatest season. I would so much rather be talking about how sick they are, about how happy I am that I grabbed Welker in all my leagues.
Oh dude get over yourself. Don't play the "I used to like them" martyr here. You were the biggest tool in the pool when Spygate came out... starting 10 threads a day against the patriots. :thumbup:
I thought you had that distinction. I posted a lot but I doubt I started more than 1 thread about them, if that. And whether you laught at it or not, it's true. Your opinion of me is worthless and I note that you still don't have a handle on facts or reason, preferring exageration and falsehoods instead.

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
Because Clayton is 10000000 X more plugged into what is going on around the league than you are.Because he speaks to people all over the place and much of what he said comes from his sources inside the league and what other teams are saying. :lol:
You listed people who have come down on one side. (yeah...that is thinking for yourself)I state that Clayton has talked to many people actually still in the league and you ask why we should listen to him.Why the hell should we listen to people not even in the league anymore, vs. reports of people that are still playing and coaching?Yo
so let's just sit here and wait for the names. where are they? oh, I mean, the unnamed sources. he's probably talking to GMs. players arent talking to him, on or off record, about exacting revenge. Im not buying it.

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
Because Clayton is 10000000 X more plugged into what is going on around the league than you are.Because he speaks to people all over the place and much of what he said comes from his sources inside the league and what other teams are saying. :lol:
Twitch, I'll say it again- I think you're underestimating the disincentive for players to come out and criticize running the score up as a violation of the NFL's macho chic and a blow to their NFL "street cred". There's no countervailing incentive to balance this out either, so it's entirely plausible that what players may fear to say publicly they'll confide privately to a guy like John Clayton.

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
Because Clayton is 10000000 X more plugged into what is going on around the league than you are.Because he speaks to people all over the place and much of what he said comes from his sources inside the league and what other teams are saying. :lmao:
Twitch, I'll say it again- I think you're underestimating the disincentive for players to come out and criticize running the score up as a violation of the NFL's macho chic and a blow to their NFL "street cred". There's no countervailing incentive to balance this out either, so it's entirely plausible that what players may fear to say publicly they'll confide privately to a guy like John Clayton.
I respect your opinion. I understand the entire issue. But I just stand on the other side of the fence. We all understand human nature and all the nasty traits that accompany it. There's just too much being made of this. So Im moving on. it could go on forever and ever. I dont take nearly as much pleasure in all of this as the haters.

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
Because Clayton is 10000000 X more plugged into what is going on around the league than you are.Because he speaks to people all over the place and much of what he said comes from his sources inside the league and what other teams are saying. :lmao:
so let's just sit here and wait for the names. where are they? oh, I mean, the unnamed sources. he's probably talking to GMs. players arent talking to him, on or off record, about exacting revenge. Im not buying it.
You don't think players are talking to him?Got to :lmao: again at that.

I respect your opinion. I understand the entire issue. But I just stand on the other side of the fence. We all understand human nature and all the nasty traits that accompany it. There's just too much being made of this. So Im moving on. it could go on forever and ever. I dont take nearly as much pleasure in all of this as the haters.
Why is it that anyone who thinks the Pats could go about things differently is a hater?

When Pittsburgh won the SB two years ago, I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. Why? Because for months afterwards I had to defend the referee calls in the SB, and I had to listen to guys like Colin Cowherd declare the Steelers weren't really champions, etc. What should have been a time of great joy as a Steeler fan left a bad taste in my mouth- it didn't matter that I thought they won cleanly- the refs controversy kept them from getting the credit they justly deserved.

I have a feeling the same thing will happen to the Pats fans this year. Suppose NE does go 16-0 and crushes everyone in their path and runs up the score on purpose to show everybody up? Will this be good for the NFL? And do you think that Pats fans will truly enjoy it, given the level of criticism they'll receive and the actions they feel forced to defend? I doubt it.

mad sweeney said:
Oh dude get over yourself. Don't play the "I used to like them" martyr here. You were the biggest tool in the pool when Spygate came out... starting 10 threads a day against the patriots. :X
I thought you had that distinction. I posted a lot but I doubt I started more than 1 thread about them, if that. And whether you laught at it or not, it's true. Your opinion of me is worthless and I note that you still don't have a handle on facts or reason, preferring exageration and falsehoods instead.
:lmao: @ "facts or reason"Interesting... so If I told you that you had made just under 200 posts that mentioned either PATS or PATRIOTS in the Shark Pool since Sept 1st, would you agree that you've been more active than most anyone else with regards to this topic? Should I post a few links to some of the drivel you were firing off the day this news broke? :hot:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure this has been mentioned but just in case it hasn't

If a team is crucified for running up the score, why does everyone laud a defense for recording a shut out, especially when the team is way ahead?

This is the Big Boy league. If you don't want them to score, then stop them from scoring.
While I agree with this I also think that once you are up by 40+ in the 4th quarter it doesn't hurt to show a little class and run the clock out.
Its like baseball. You don't steal bases with a 10 run lead...and so on. Its class...its respect...its something BB clearly does not care about.
but the guy got on to be in position to steal the base, didn't he?and does, say Manny, not try to knock one over the wall as the next guy up for a 2 run dinger?

I don't think so...

IIRC, Cassell took some snaps, Faulk, Evans and Gaffney saw some decent playing time....

that is where they let off the throttle---there still is a scoring record out there that I feel they are obliged to try to set...not as a major focus, but still...

"you play to win the game"

When Pittsburgh won the SB two years ago, I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. Why? Because for months afterwards I had to defend the referee calls in the SB, and I had to listen to guys like Colin Cowherd declare the Steelers weren't really champions, etc. What should have been a time of great joy as a Steeler fan left a bad taste in my mouth- it didn't matter that I thought they won cleanly- the refs controversy kept them from getting the credit they justly deserved.I have a feeling the same thing will happen to the Pats fans this year. Suppose NE does go 16-0 and crushes everyone in their path and runs up the score on purpose to show everybody up? Will this be good for the NFL? And do you think that Pats fans will truly enjoy it, given the level of criticism they'll receive and the actions they feel forced to defend? I doubt it.
:X Dude.. you are WAY too emotionally invested in this if you let idiots ramblings on a message board or talk show take away from your joy of winning a SB. Frankly I'm absolutely entertained by the hate. I used to listen to classic comedy albums while working to get a good laugh in after lunch..... now The outcries of "Cheaters" and "Classless SCore-runner-uppers" provide all the laughs I need. Honestly, this wouldn't be NEARLY as much fun in there weren't whiners to verbally spar with :hot:

Why is it that anyone who thinks the Pats could go about things differently is a hater?
sho, I 'hate' to say it, but simply responding to this post, makes a bit of a point. youre free to figure out what that is.

Eventually he's going to piss the wrong dude off and Brady's going to start getting hit 5 seconds after he throws the ball.
I don't think that is today's NFL. THey are not going to try to injure someone just because they are getting trounced. The money is too good. Players want to win, but they also want to lengten their career as much as possible. If a player intentionally injures another player, he is at risk from having the same thing done to him on the field.
It will only take one player who gets mad. If I were the coach, I would send a message. Take the 15 yard penalty and fine. Throwing the TD Pass to Welker late in the 4th was uncalled for just like a late hit. But let's call it an eye for an eye.

This is the Big Boy league. If you don't want them to score, then stop them from scoring.
While I agree with this I also think that once you are up by 40+ in the 4th quarter it doesn't hurt to show a little class and run the clock out.
Its like baseball. You don't steal bases with a 10 run lead...and so on. Its class...its respect...its something BB clearly does not care about.
but the guy got on to be in position to steal the base, didn't he?and does, say Manny, not try to knock one over the wall as the next guy up for a 2 run dinger?

I don't think so...

IIRC, Cassell took some snaps, Faulk, Evans and Gaffney saw some decent playing time....

that is where they let off the throttle---there still is a scoring record out there that I feel they are obliged to try to set...not as a major focus, but still...

"you play to win the game"
Umm...those are not part of the "unwritten" rules.But notice while up...Manny was on the bench in game 4. Though, for defensive purposes.

Hitting a HR is generally not as frowned upon.

Nobody cares that a guy got a base hit.

But a stolen base is a no-no and gets a guy plunked. Its that simple.

Faulk and Evans got some time...but how many carries when running down the clock? Even Cassel threw 3 straight passes.

sho, I 'hate' to say it, but simply responding to this post, makes a bit of a point. youre free to figure out what that is.
Whatever.I disagree.Its just crazy that anyone who thinks the Pats tactics are questionable at all are deemed haters.Its ridiculous.

mad sweeney said:
Oh dude get over yourself. Don't play the "I used to like them" martyr here. You were the biggest tool in the pool when Spygate came out... starting 10 threads a day against the patriots. :lmao:
:lmao: @ "facts or reason"Interesting... so If I told you that you had made just under 200 posts that mentioned either PATS or PATRIOTS in the Shark Pool since Sept 1st, would you agree that you've been more active than most anyone else with regards to this topic? Should I post a few links to some of the drivel you were firing off the day this news broke? :goodposting:
Just tell me how close you were to the 10 threads a day I was starting. Fact is that I didn't start any threads despite your falsehood that I did. Fact is that you were wrong. And if you want to got through them all then I'm sure you'llf ind several that mentioned my previous respect for Brady and the Pats in general. But then again, those are facts and have no place in your posts.And if you look above you'll see I already clearly admit to posting a lot so are you really asking to to admit to something that I already admitted to? Wow, you really nailed me there, great investigative powers you have to coax a guilty plea out of someone who admitted it already. Great work! :confused:

Ok, here are the good reasons for this:

- The rules encourage it. Tie breakers are determined by points.

- If this team pulls its starters when the game gets out of hand, they end up playing about half the snaps the Colts are playing every week. Whipping the Redskins at home and playing the Colts in Indy is two different animals, even this offense benefits from executing its playbook.

- Could Brady get hurt in a blowout? Yes. Could Brady get hurt the first snap of the Colts game because somebody misses a blitz pickup they might have seen had they played more snaps earlier in the season? Yes.

- Would a lot of teams not do this? Yes. Are a lot of teams mediocre? Yes. This team has a philosophy and a killer instinct that is one of the reasons they are extremely good. They arent going to get out of that mindset to keep opposing fans from crying themselves to sleep in shame.

-These are professionals, not grade schoolers. If you dont want to be embarrassed go out there and stop somebody.
:goodposting:

:goodposting: :goodposting:

:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:

Whatever.I disagree.Its just crazy that anyone who thinks the Pats tactics are questionable at all are deemed haters.Its ridiculous.
For illustrative purposes:1. NOT a hater statement:the Pats tactics are questionable2. hater statement:Belicheat and the *Patriots organization are tainted, classless, and deserving of crippling injuries for not being classy like Tony DungyTypical thread algorithm:objective statementhater reiterates underlying premise with spinanother hater reiterates underlying premise with spinpats homer responds to hatersobjective poster calls out pats homer for calling objective poster haterWhat is difficult to understand about what's going on here?

For illustrative purposes:1. NOT a hater statement:the Pats tactics are questionable2. hater statement:Belicheat and the *Patriots organization are tainted, classless, and deserving of crippling injuries for not being classy like Tony DungyTypical thread algorithm:objective statementhater reiterates underlying premise with spinanother hater reiterates underlying premise with spinpats homer responds to hatersobjective poster calls out pats homer for calling objective poster haterWhat is difficult to understand about what's going on here?
Ive been labeled a hater...and I don't recall ever calling him Bellicheat...or saying teh organization is tainted...and anyone else is classless besides BB (because I think he is).Deserving of injuries? No.Almost asking for them? I think so.

Ive been labeled a hater...and I don't recall ever calling him Bellicheat...or saying teh organization is tainted...and anyone else is classless besides BB (because I think he is).Deserving of injuries? No.Almost asking for them? I think so.
If that's all you've said, the label was inappropriate. Not making any excuses here, but there are lots of opportunities for collateral damage in threads swarming with trolls.

Sho, first of all I apologize for the suggestion that you were a hater. Its was an unnessecary suggestion. I didnt label you specifically, but I definitely suggested it. My bad. Im moving on from this topic. Everyone has an opinion. Ive admitted myself I didnt like how all aspects of this game went down. So, I cant really bang on the protestors too hard. I'll live to fight another day. Again, sorry man.

If that's all you've said, the label was inappropriate. Not making any excuses here, but there are lots of opportunities for collateral damage in threads swarming with trolls.
The thing is...there are plenty that have been labeled haters.I think most of the people have been pretty reasonable with their comments against BB's decisions.But I agree, plenty of trolls too.

I've been completely enthralled with the Patriots this year. I've watched as many of their games as I have been able and I particularly enjoyed sunday's bloodletting against the skins. Watched unitl the final second.

Bear in mind that I am a Bills fan living in Baltimore and realize that for pure entertainment, I aint seen nothing like these pats in ages. They are phenomenal and the idea that we may be watching history(19-0) unfold before our eyes makes it that much more enjoyable for me on Sundays.

Lets see 'em average 40 for the season while going undefeated. That's a sweet thought.

twitch said:
sho nuff said:
twitch said:
That pretty much says it all doesn't it? There is no such thing as running it up, if these professionals can't even talk about it for the reasons you stated. Confiding in a columnist because it bothers them? Please.

Users who are viewing this thread