What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benson Is Terrible (1 Viewer)

RBM said:
GroveDiesel said:
Here's one for you: Who has a better O-line, Chicago or Buffalo?
I havent seen a worse run blocking line than the Bears yet this year. They were dominant 2 yrs ago, very strong last year, but they have gone downhill fast this year. Its frustrating because Angelo has completely ignored the age problems draft after draft after draft. Miller and Brown are old. Tait is getting up there. Garza just isnt that good. The worst part is they have noobdy waiting in the wings to take over LG and RT
Larry Johnson was dominant 2 years ago too. He averaged 5.2 YPC and had 20 TDs. This year he has 3.3 YPC and 0 TDs. Do you Benson haters not see how a poor line and poor QB play affect the running game? Look at Ronnie Brown last year. Poor line, crap QB, 1st year starting and he only had 1008 rush yards and 5 TDs. And now with a new Offenisive coordinator and a better veteran QB (Green which is now injured) Brown is blowing up. Another example Jamal Lewis last year in Baltimore compared to this year. I dont know what the difference is but there is definatly a big one. I mean Baltimore had a lot of offensive problems the last two years and come to find out it wasnt Jamals fault......bad play calling, O-line? QB?Give Benson a break for Christ sakes. He is RB #22 in one of my leagues and #19 in another, and I see atleast 10 guys ahead of him that he will pass due to injuries, injury fill ins that wont start anymore ala Keith Kenton, etc, fluke performances, and we havent even gotten to the cold weather games yet. I see Benson ending up the year as a top 15 fantasy RB and maybe even higher. There is such a small sample size to base judgement on and Ive watched every Bears games this year and last and from what I seen when there are holes, Benson hits them and runs hard for 10+ yards, just look at his TD run last night, that was one of the few holes I saw. When there are not any holes NOBODY can run behind that. You know I saw Benson get hit in the back field as soon as he was handed the ball 5 or 6 times last night.
Benson supports seems to not be willing to acknowledge that Benson and the O-line could very possibly suck to the extreme level of suckiness.It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Here is something for the Benson haters to think about also. How is it possible for Steve Smith to be a fantasy GOD when Delhomme is playing, but with Carr playing S. Smith is a turd? If a QB cant get the ball to a WR then the WR is worthless. Like wise if the O-line cant open holes and the QB cant be consistent then the running game fails. Plus the playcalling is bad. I mean is "Benson up the middle" the only running play they have? No tosses, counters, misdirections, screens, I never see them pull their guards, and where is the off tackle plays?. Ron Turner is basically clueless in how to use Benson or Hester I believe. I mean you just cant say "we are going to run the ball" then go out and call 22 plays of "Benson up the Middle"
You have that backwards. Griese cant throw because Benson cant get him a 1st down or threaten anyone with the run. A good RB makes the line and the playcalling look better. In his third season, Benson has never made anyone look better. And the whole "wearing down defenses" thing is complete bunk. His YPC at the end of games is worse than at the begining. You cant wear down defenses by dancing out of bounds.

was at the game last nite :rolleyes:couple things i noticed:1) the Bears line looks miserable. the Packers run defense is good but there was absolutely no room there. their best lineman is Kreutz by a longshot and he was just OK. there were no holes anywhere across the front. none. it just wasn't happening. the Bears are predicated on running the ball and great defense. those big linemen get heavier and stronger as the game goes on when they have a lead, are controlling the clock and the defense&ST are winning the field position game. early on there was absolutely nothing available in the run game. the Packers didn't respect the pass and the Bears couldn't figure out that all you need to do is pick on Bigby, Collins, Bush and Poppinga with the TE or slot guy. they put 8 in the box, let Woodson and Harris control the outside and that was that. good luck. their defense is just not good right now. their receivers aren't good. they give opposing defenses no reason to play 7 in the box. as an NFL player Benson has to beat that 8th guy but it's made extra tough when there are no gaps and/or people in the backfield 75% of the time.2) Benson looks tentative. seeing him live it really shows. it looks to me like he's thinking, before he gets the ball, "there's not going to be a hole there". so when he gets the ball he's thinking "how do i make something happen.. i can't go to that hole". it only takes a split second of indecision to look tentative. which makes him look slower and less powerful than i think he really is.. late in the game the Bears line was leaning on the Packers rotation of d-linemen and opening holes. the Bears need a lot of help on offense. Muhammad is done. Berrian is one-dimensional. Olson is a rookie. their QB is garbage and their line is just not good. EVERYONE killed Thomas Jones... saying he looked tentative and slow and blah blah blah. the same things they're saying about Benson. he sucked.. all that. what he has that Benson doesn't is experience. they're not the same type runner but i don't think Jones is far superior either. Jones has a little more shiftiness and he knows to let plays develop. Benson doesn't have that yet. i don't think he'll ever be great but if the Bears game plan is going well he doesn't have to be. they want a sledgehammer to control the clock. if they had a passing game, that would loosen up the defense, which would make it easier for the line to create space, which would make Benson look quicker and stronger. everyone sees a problem and wants to blame one person. that's not quite how it works.
You summed it up perfectly. The problems last night were glaringly obvious, even on TV. Some people just dont understand what it takes to run the ball in the NFL.

RBM said:
GroveDiesel said:
I havent seen a worse run blocking line than the Bears yet this year. They were dominant 2 yrs ago, very strong last year, but they have gone downhill fast this year. Its frustrating because Angelo has completely ignored the age problems draft after draft after draft. Miller and Brown are old. Tait is getting up there. Garza just isnt that good. The worst part is they have noobdy waiting in the wings to take over LG and RT
Larry Johnson was dominant 2 years ago too. He averaged 5.2 YPC and had 20 TDs. This year he has 3.3 YPC and 0 TDs. Do you Benson haters not see how a poor line and poor QB play affect the running game? Look at Ronnie Brown last year. Poor line, crap QB, 1st year starting and he only had 1008 rush yards and 5 TDs. And now with a new Offenisive coordinator and a better veteran QB (Green which is now injured) Brown is blowing up. Another example Jamal Lewis last year in Baltimore compared to this year. I dont know what the difference is but there is definatly a big one. I mean Baltimore had a lot of offensive problems the last two years and come to find out it wasnt Jamals fault......bad play calling, O-line? QB?Give Benson a break for Christ sakes. He is RB #22 in one of my leagues and #19 in another, and I see atleast 10 guys ahead of him that he will pass due to injuries, injury fill ins that wont start anymore ala Keith Kenton, etc, fluke performances, and we havent even gotten to the cold weather games yet. I see Benson ending up the year as a top 15 fantasy RB and maybe even higher. There is such a small sample size to base judgement on and Ive watched every Bears games this year and last and from what I seen when there are holes, Benson hits them and runs hard for 10+ yards, just look at his TD run last night, that was one of the few holes I saw. When there are not any holes NOBODY can run behind that. You know I saw Benson get hit in the back field as soon as he was handed the ball 5 or 6 times last night.
Benson supports seems to not be willing to acknowledge that Benson and the O-line could very possibly suck to the extreme level of suckiness.It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Here is something for the Benson haters to think about also. How is it possible for Steve Smith to be a fantasy GOD when Delhomme is playing, but with Carr playing S. Smith is a turd? If a QB cant get the ball to a WR then the WR is worthless. Like wise if the O-line cant open holes and the QB cant be consistent then the running game fails. Plus the playcalling is bad. I mean is "Benson up the middle" the only running play they have? No tosses, counters, misdirections, screens, I never see them pull their guards, and where is the off tackle plays?. Ron Turner is basically clueless in how to use Benson or Hester I believe. I mean you just cant say "we are going to run the ball" then go out and call 22 plays of "Benson up the Middle"
You have that backwards. Griese cant throw because Benson cant get him a 1st down or threaten anyone with the run. A good RB makes the line and the playcalling look better. In his third season, Benson has never made anyone look better. And the whole "wearing down defenses" thing is complete bunk. His YPC at the end of games is worse than at the begining. You cant wear down defenses by dancing out of bounds.
Except Thomas Jones, that is.

I wonder whether those who took JJ Arrington ahead of him in rookie drafts a few years ago would go back and change their pick?

Or Cadillac Williams for that matter?

RBM said:
GroveDiesel said:
As a UT fan, I can only say I am grateful to the 4 year NCAA limit. Yes, I know his stats - I watched just about every game he played in while at UT. However, he does not have the power you need in someone that moves that slowly. He had a monster line at UT. Think Ron Dayne.A lot of his problems were caused by the OLine last night, but he missed a couple of holes, and he had at least one cutback lane that he could have taken for a big gain. In addition, he avoids contact. Given that he is very slow to square up his shoulders once his hips turn, this is a pretty lousy combination. When running a stretch, he basically runs to the side, and if a hole opens, he spends most of the window turning himself around to go upfield. By the time he gets going, he's being hit. His one skill is that he is an above-average runner straight up the middle, though not for power. The line does stink right now, but last night was vintage Benson. On the up side, if you clear out & give him 5 yards of wide open space right in front of him, then by golly he'll make those 5 yards (unless he goes out of bounds to avoid contact).

The best thing he has going for him fantasy-wise is that he is apparently an unchallenged starter. If you can have the game he had last night & not get pulled, you're pretty much in (or Larry Johnson). He'll have a decent year at the end of it all relative to other backs, if for no other reasons than he is likely to get more carries than most everyone else this side of FWP.

let's not get wacky here. Griese is not a good QB. he's mediocre at best. the whole "wearing defenses down thing" is not bunk. this is his first year as a starter.. the Bears are 2-3. they haven't had a lot of opportunity to grind games out.. and to use their run game as it was intended.blame the defense, blame Lovie, blame the QB's, blame the WR's... not just Benson.

RBM said:
GroveDiesel said:
Its amazing Dan Marino set all those passing records, what with Walter Payton getting all of those first downs... you know, setting up the Bears QB's for all of those phenomenal numbers in the late 70's and early 80's. If only Dan had a better running game... you know, so he could pass...

As someone who does not think Benson is not that good and someone who thought Ronnie Brown would never be the star we thought he could be in Miami explain how Ronnie Brown on an 0-5 team is killing it and looking the part while Benson on a superior team and I mean superior team looks...well like he always has, slow, plodding, and lost.

Same draft class and it is easy to see Ronnie Brown is a far more talented back than Benson. I was a non believer in Brown but the last 3 weeks have changed all of that. Running behind a fresh new OL. One that until this pre-season had not played as a unit together and with a sub-par passing game is absolutly rolling right now. This shows again that it is the back that makes the line and the play calling look better not the reverse.

Brown has more speed, power balance and great hands.

Benson's skills are subpar to Browns.

I hope Brown can continue to do this as we rebuild. I want a full season of this kind of production before I annoint him a star caliber back.

It is because of Benson's pure ineffectiveness that the Bears are having a lot of problems. I would say he is a big part of the problem not a small part. He can not move the chains plain and simple. And that's all they are asking him to do. Move the chains and give the play action a chance to work to Berrian and Olson like Thomas Jones did for 2 years

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who does not think Benson is not that good and someone who thought Ronnie Brown would never be the star we thought he could be in Miami explain how Ronnie Brown on an 0-5 team is killing it and looking the part while Benson on a superior team and I mean superior team looks...well like he always has, slow, plodding, and lost.

Same draft class and it is easy to see Ronnie Brown is a far more talented back than Benson. I was a non believer in Brown but the last 3 weeks have changed all of that. Running behind a fresh new OL. One that until this pre-season had not played as a unit together and with a sub-par passing game is absolutly rolling right now. This shows again that it is the back that makes the line and the play calling look better not the reverse.

I hope Brown can continue to do this as we rebuild. I want a full season of this kind of production before I annoint him a star caliber back.

It is because of Benson's pure ineffectiveness that the Bears are having a lot of problems. I would say he is a big part of the problem not a small part. He can not move the chains plain and simple. And that's all they are asking him to do. Move the chains and give the play action a chance to work to Berrian and Olson like Thomas Jones did for 2 years
Brown just endured an entire season of sucking as the feature back. people TRASHED him. you admit yourself that you're now convinced. :unsure: it's OK for Brown to suck for a year and you'll come around on him but Benson has a slow start (and doesn't look good doing it) and he's horrible cause it's somehow different?

"This shows again that it is the back that makes the line and the play calling look better not the reverse."

:no: it's not an exclusive relationship of "either the RB is great or the offense sucks".

any coach will tell you that football begins and ends with the lines of scrimmage. if you can't control those it doesn't matter what else you're doing. maybe the Bears staff was wrong.. maybe they shoulda kept Jones and let Benson rot on the bench. :scared: i'd like to see more than 5 games in the starting role before i call the guy a bust.

Brown just endured an entire season of sucking as the feature back. people TRASHED him. you admit yourself that you're now convinced. :lmao: it's OK for Brown to suck for a year and you'll come around on him but Benson has a slow start (and doesn't look good doing it) and he's horrible cause it's somehow different?

"This shows again that it is the back that makes the line and the play calling look better not the reverse."

:lmao: it's not an exclusive relationship of "either the RB is great or the offense sucks".

any coach will tell you that football begins and ends with the lines of scrimmage. if you can't control those it doesn't matter what else you're doing. maybe the Bears staff was wrong.. maybe they shoulda kept Jones and let Benson rot on the bench. :lmao: i'd like to see more than 5 games in the starting role before i call the guy a bust.
Brown did not suck last season. In fact he was pretty good and showed signs of being an all purpose back. Cedric Benson on the other hand has shown nada.Now of course I know it all starts at the line of scrimmage....but the point is a great back makes the line look better than it really is. LJ last season is a perfect example. Also in today's NFL the back is expected to take on the 8th man.

Did you see Travis Henry yesterday? He had a off tackle run and stiffed arm the one guy who was un-blocked and took off for a nice gain.

That is a running back.

Benson has shown nothing in 3 years. Ronnie Brown is the total yards from scrimmage leader through 5 weeks. That say's a ton. Benson is showing he is a below average NFL back. I mean come on you watch the games right?

i watch em alright. and i'm not saying he's LJ or even Travis Henry (who LOTS of people said was garbage up until this off-season all of a sudden).

what he is is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. hell the Browns won with Kevin Mack, Jarrod Bunch, etc. it doesn't take a stud RB to have a running game. he just has to be durable, get 3.5 - 4ypc and watch the defense stifle teams.

i watch em alright. and i'm not saying he's LJ or even Travis Henry (who LOTS of people said was garbage up until this off-season all of a sudden). what he is is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. hell the Browns won with Kevin Mack, Jarrod Bunch, etc. it doesn't take a stud RB to have a running game. he just has to be durable, get 3.5 - 4ypc and watch the defense stifle teams.
Benson is not doing what you just described. Give me Kevin Mack...he moves the chains. :goodposting:

I couldn't help but check back in to re-affirm that Benson does indeed suck far more potently than anyone who has every sucked before. On the one play where he didn't try to spear his own linemen's kidneys he actually had some open ground with a sweep to the right. His blazing speed allowed him to plod for about a 6 or 8 yard gain where he ran out of bounds voluntarily before getting touched by a defender. The guy is a total birth canal. All Madden could say was something like, I don't know that I agree with today's RB's running out of bounds to avoid contact. The quicker the Bears ditch him the better off we Bears fans will be. The reason this the first year starting is because he held out rather than actually sign a fair contract and go to work on time. When he did show up he accused the team of hitting him too hard in practice. He then complained that his teamates like Thomas Jones better and everyone was against him and he couldn't trust anyone.

In 2005 he played in 8 games, in 2006 he played in 15 games, and of course he's been the starter in in the 5 games in 2007. Not counting the playoffs and the Super Bowl he's been in the same system for his 3rd straight year and has had 325 rushing attempts and averages 3.8 yards per carry. He shows no heart, no dedication, no vision, and no desire to fight for an extra yard. If he had ANYTHING we would have seen glimpses by now. I cannot think of a single play that he has made that made me go WOW! I feel safer with Griese throwing the ball than with Cedric rushing 3 times to set up a 4th and 4 punt.

Signed,

A Bears homer who isn't wearing the orange and blue goggles.

Statcruncher said:
I couldn't help but check back in to re-affirm that Benson does indeed suck far more potently than anyone who has every sucked before. On the one play where he didn't try to spear his own linemen's kidneys he actually had some open ground with a sweep to the right. His blazing speed allowed him to plod for about a 6 or 8 yard gain where he ran out of bounds voluntarily before getting touched by a defender. The guy is a total birth canal. All Madden could say was something like, I don't know that I agree with today's RB's running out of bounds to avoid contact. The quicker the Bears ditch him the better off we Bears fans will be. The reason this the first year starting is because he held out rather than actually sign a fair contract and go to work on time. When he did show up he accused the team of hitting him too hard in practice. He then complained that his teamates like Thomas Jones better and everyone was against him and he couldn't trust anyone.In 2005 he played in 8 games, in 2006 he played in 15 games, and of course he's been the starter in in the 5 games in 2007. Not counting the playoffs and the Super Bowl he's been in the same system for his 3rd straight year and has had 325 rushing attempts and averages 3.8 yards per carry. He shows no heart, no dedication, no vision, and no desire to fight for an extra yard. If he had ANYTHING we would have seen glimpses by now. I cannot think of a single play that he has made that made me go WOW! I feel safer with Griese throwing the ball than with Cedric rushing 3 times to set up a 4th and 4 punt. Signed,A Bears homer who isn't wearing the orange and blue goggles.
You see what all of us who think Benson sucks sees. :thumbup:

From Chi Tribune:

Through the first five games of 2006, the Bears averaged 3.2 yards per run. Through the first five games this season, the Bears averaged 3.1 per run. It is quite possible the Bears' run game will step it up as it did a year ago, when the team averaged 4.1 yards per carry over their last 11 contests.
Just throwin it out there.

From Chi Tribune:

Through the first five games of 2006, the Bears averaged 3.2 yards per run. Through the first five games this season, the Bears averaged 3.1 per run. It is quite possible the Bears' run game will step it up as it did a year ago, when the team averaged 4.1 yards per carry over their last 11 contests.
Past success doesn't mean current. I know your trying to be optomistic but seriously how can their running game get worse?? :shrug:

Statcruncher said:
I couldn't help but check back in to re-affirm that Benson does indeed suck far more potently than anyone who has every sucked before. On the one play where he didn't try to spear his own linemen's kidneys he actually had some open ground with a sweep to the right. His blazing speed allowed him to plod for about a 6 or 8 yard gain where he ran out of bounds voluntarily before getting touched by a defender. The guy is a total birth canal. All Madden could say was something like, I don't know that I agree with today's RB's running out of bounds to avoid contact. The quicker the Bears ditch him the better off we Bears fans will be. The reason this the first year starting is because he held out rather than actually sign a fair contract and go to work on time. When he did show up he accused the team of hitting him too hard in practice. He then complained that his teamates like Thomas Jones better and everyone was against him and he couldn't trust anyone.In 2005 he played in 8 games, in 2006 he played in 15 games, and of course he's been the starter in in the 5 games in 2007. Not counting the playoffs and the Super Bowl he's been in the same system for his 3rd straight year and has had 325 rushing attempts and averages 3.8 yards per carry. He shows no heart, no dedication, no vision, and no desire to fight for an extra yard. If he had ANYTHING we would have seen glimpses by now. I cannot think of a single play that he has made that made me go WOW! I feel safer with Griese throwing the ball than with Cedric rushing 3 times to set up a 4th and 4 punt. Signed,A Bears homer who isn't wearing the orange and blue goggles.
You see what all of us who think Benson sucks sees. :thumbup:
I am a Benson owner. He's my RB#2. I pushed him for 3 years. I actually watched him the last 2 games. He is HORRIBLE. I have never seen a slower, less powerful RB. He plods and falls each play. 2-3 yards. When there is a hole, he turns on the "jets", bumps outside, and runs out of bounds for a 2 yd gain. He needs a wake up call.

why do people say a guy "blows" or is "the worst ever" all the time? the hyperbole "blows".

i assure you there have been far worse RB's and there are far worse RB's currently playing in the NFL.

RBM said:
From Chi Tribune:

let's not get wacky and start introducing logic and facts here. let's keep throwing out random anecdotes to prove our points. thanks.

RBM said:
From Chi Tribune:

let's not get wacky and start introducing logic and facts here. let's keep throwing out random anecdotes to prove our points. thanks.
Naaaaa. The one true fact is Besnon Blows. :porked:

RBM said:
From Chi Tribune:

Naaaaa. The one true fact is Besnon Blows. :goodposting:
You mean this Besnon??

Everyone thinks he's gonna crap the bed against Minnesota's run defense, but I'm here to tell you that he BLOWS UP this week. I'm thinking 130 & 2. It was Minnesota who Benson had a nifty 24-yard TD run against at Soldier Field last year where he outran the cornerbacks and safties to the corner of the end zone. All of you criticizing Ced for bouncing it outside instead of hitting it up between the tackles will be eating crow this week BECAUSE of that fact. The key to running on the Vikings is avoiding the fat twin defensive tackles. Once Benson gets outside on this defense, Minnesota will be in for a long day. Add in the fact that the Vikes aren't gonna score more than 7 or 10 points, and that means Benson RUNS RUNS RUNS all day long. The TD against a very good Packers defense will give him just enough confidence to start producing.

In fact, I'm so sure of this that I'm starting him over A-Pete!

:lmao:

I've finally given up. Just moved him and CJ2 for Roy Williams. If you actually WATCH him carry the ball, it isn't promising as has been metnioned a million times.

was at the game last nite :goodposting:couple things i noticed:1) the Bears line looks miserable. the Packers run defense is good but there was absolutely no room there. their best lineman is Kreutz by a longshot and he was just OK. there were no holes anywhere across the front. none. it just wasn't happening. the Bears are predicated on running the ball and great defense. those big linemen get heavier and stronger as the game goes on when they have a lead, are controlling the clock and the defense&ST are winning the field position game. early on there was absolutely nothing available in the run game. the Packers didn't respect the pass and the Bears couldn't figure out that all you need to do is pick on Bigby, Collins, Bush and Poppinga with the TE or slot guy. they put 8 in the box, let Woodson and Harris control the outside and that was that. good luck. their defense is just not good right now. their receivers aren't good. they give opposing defenses no reason to play 7 in the box. as an NFL player Benson has to beat that 8th guy but it's made extra tough when there are no gaps and/or people in the backfield 75% of the time.2) Benson looks tentative. seeing him live it really shows. it looks to me like he's thinking, before he gets the ball, "there's not going to be a hole there". so when he gets the ball he's thinking "how do i make something happen.. i can't go to that hole". it only takes a split second of indecision to look tentative. which makes him look slower and less powerful than i think he really is.. late in the game the Bears line was leaning on the Packers rotation of d-linemen and opening holes. the Bears need a lot of help on offense. Muhammad is done. Berrian is one-dimensional. Olson is a rookie. their QB is garbage and their line is just not good. EVERYONE killed Thomas Jones... saying he looked tentative and slow and blah blah blah. the same things they're saying about Benson. he sucked.. all that. what he has that Benson doesn't is experience. they're not the same type runner but i don't think Jones is far superior either. Jones has a little more shiftiness and he knows to let plays develop. Benson doesn't have that yet. i don't think he'll ever be great but if the Bears game plan is going well he doesn't have to be. they want a sledgehammer to control the clock. if they had a passing game, that would loosen up the defense, which would make it easier for the line to create space, which would make Benson look quicker and stronger. everyone sees a problem and wants to blame one person. that's not quite how it works.
Thanks Furely. Good report. I've obviously been a Benson basher on here but have never thought he was solely responsible for all of our offensive problems. At the same time, some of the Benson supporters on here are placing all of the blame on the offensive line and none on Benson, which is ridiculous, imo. He's not the only reason but he's definitely part of it. Some just refuse to see it.

Everyone thinks he's gonna crap the bed against Minnesota's run defense, but I'm here to tell you that he BLOWS UP this week. I'm thinking 130 & 2. It was Minnesota who Benson had a nifty 24-yard TD run against at Soldier Field last year where he outran the cornerbacks and safties to the corner of the end zone. All of you criticizing Ced for bouncing it outside instead of hitting it up between the tackles will be eating crow this week BECAUSE of that fact. The key to running on the Vikings is avoiding the fat twin defensive tackles. Once Benson gets outside on this defense, Minnesota will be in for a long day. Add in the fact that the Vikes aren't gonna score more than 7 or 10 points, and that means Benson RUNS RUNS RUNS all day long. The TD against a very good Packers defense will give him just enough confidence to start producing.In fact, I'm so sure of this that I'm starting him over A-Pete! :goodposting:
I thought you'd given up on Benson? :shrug:

Everyone thinks he's gonna crap the bed against Minnesota's run defense, but I'm here to tell you that he BLOWS UP this week. I'm thinking 130 & 2. It was Minnesota who Benson had a nifty 24-yard TD run against at Soldier Field last year where he outran the cornerbacks and safties to the corner of the end zone. All of you criticizing Ced for bouncing it outside instead of hitting it up between the tackles will be eating crow this week BECAUSE of that fact. The key to running on the Vikings is avoiding the fat twin defensive tackles. Once Benson gets outside on this defense, Minnesota will be in for a long day. Add in the fact that the Vikes aren't gonna score more than 7 or 10 points, and that means Benson RUNS RUNS RUNS all day long. The TD against a very good Packers defense will give him just enough confidence to start producing.In fact, I'm so sure of this that I'm starting him over A-Pete! :cry:
A-pete of the bears?

Everyone thinks he's gonna crap the bed against Minnesota's run defense, but I'm here to tell you that he BLOWS UP this week. I'm thinking 130 & 2. It was Minnesota who Benson had a nifty 24-yard TD run against at Soldier Field last year where he outran the cornerbacks and safties to the corner of the end zone. All of you criticizing Ced for bouncing it outside instead of hitting it up between the tackles will be eating crow this week BECAUSE of that fact. The key to running on the Vikings is avoiding the fat twin defensive tackles. Once Benson gets outside on this defense, Minnesota will be in for a long day. Add in the fact that the Vikes aren't gonna score more than 7 or 10 points, and that means Benson RUNS RUNS RUNS all day long. The TD against a very good Packers defense will give him just enough confidence to start producing.

In fact, I'm so sure of this that I'm starting him over A-Pete! :cry:
I thought you'd given up on Benson? :confused:
I wasn't able to trade him, so I'm stuck with him. That said, there aren't many backs who are guaranteed 25 carries a game, so he has some value. He's not an every-week starter, so you have to pick your spots. I simply think Benson against the Vikings will fare better than Peterson against the Bears. We shall see.

Everyone thinks he's gonna crap the bed against Minnesota's run defense, but I'm here to tell you that he BLOWS UP this week. I'm thinking 130 & 2. It was Minnesota who Benson had a nifty 24-yard TD run against at Soldier Field last year where he outran the cornerbacks and safties to the corner of the end zone. All of you criticizing Ced for bouncing it outside instead of hitting it up between the tackles will be eating crow this week BECAUSE of that fact. The key to running on the Vikings is avoiding the fat twin defensive tackles. Once Benson gets outside on this defense, Minnesota will be in for a long day. Add in the fact that the Vikes aren't gonna score more than 7 or 10 points, and that means Benson RUNS RUNS RUNS all day long. The TD against a very good Packers defense will give him just enough confidence to start producing.In fact, I'm so sure of this that I'm starting him over A-Pete! :cry:
A-pete of the bears?
Negative.

RBM said:
From Chi Tribune:

Why is it quite possible they'll step up like they did a year ago? Is there really anyone who thinks the running game will come around like it did last year? The stats from the 1st few games last year have almost no similarities when compared to this year. We were blowing people out the 1st 5 games of last year. We ran the ball at the end of the games when the opposing team knew that's what were going to do. Additionally, we have one less rb and the O-line is one year older. I don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong. :jawdrop:

In fact, I'm so sure of this that I'm starting him over A-Pete! :jawdrop:
I thought you'd given up on Benson? :shock:
I wasn't able to trade him, so I'm stuck with him. That said, there aren't many backs who are guaranteed 25 carries a game, so he has some value. He's not an every-week starter, so you have to pick your spots. I simply think Benson against the Vikings will fare better than Peterson against the Bears. We shall see.
I hope so.

Hes gonna keep getting lots of carries. From the Sun Times:

A lesson in perseveranceBears figure it out: Even if run game doesn't work, it can still winOctober 9, 2007BY MIKE MULLIGAN Staff ReporterWhen it comes to running the football, it's never really about the yards, it's more about the attempts. That much was obvious to anyone who stayed up late enough to watch the Bears avoid a worst-curse scenario and rally past the Green Bay Packers 27-20 on Sunday night.You couldn't say Cedric Benson ran particularly well -- not with a 2.4 average per carry on a whopping 27 attempts. But you have to admit the Bears' stubborn insistence on sticking with the run paid dividends again and again in their passing game.''We would like the yards per carry to go up, of course, and eventually it will,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said. ''I thought Cedric ran the ball hard -- good, physical runs, especially late in the game when we needed him to.''We will continue to run the ball. You can stop the run, you can gang up on the run, but normally it puts you in a one-on-one situation outside and when teams do that you have to make them pay. We were able to do that [sunday] night with a lot of the passes.''You can't run play-action fakes without committing to the running game. That's what the Bears finally did against Green Bay. They might not have actually established the run, but they remained committed to it and it paid huge dividends if only in setting up passing plays and not actual rushing yards.''That's probably one of the most important things, not to shy away from it in a game, not to get discouraged with what you do best,'' said Benson, who finished with 64 yards. ''You just keep fighting, staying with it. It's probably what our key success to the game was, that we didn't shy away from what we do. That's what we do. We love to run the football and we stayed with it.''Turner looked like a geniusBenson might never perform well enough to justify his high draft position and lofty salary, but he's been running with authority since the second half of the Detroit game. The Bears offense might have looked sick over the first quarter of the season, but there is nothing like running the football to cure all ills.It's amazing how a play-caller can seem inventive if he just runs into a brick wall for half the game and then calls a passing play. It's astounding how a running back can seem successful when he gets nowhere. Benson's best run of the game may have come early in the fourth quarter when he was hit in the backfield for a four-yard loss and ricocheted off half the Green Bay defense to fight for three more yards.He laughed when told that one-yard loss looked great.''I had to earn everything,'' Benson said. ''They were a tough defense and they have a great line up front and thy weren't giving anything easy tonight. It was fun. They made me better.''The adage in the NFL is that you throw to score and run to win. The stakes are obviously a lot higher when the ball is in the air, but it's a risk-reward business. A successful pass can mean a 10-yard gain or a 30-yard gain or an 80-yard touchdowns pass. Failure isn't just an incompletion, it's a sack for loss or an interception or a fumble.A good run might get you five or six yards, while a bad one can be a gain of one or two yards. Benson has had ball security issues, but he held on tightly against the Packers. He's a power running back so he should have turned up field and punished a defensive back instead of running out of bounds a couple of times in the fourth quarter.But the important news is that Benson has not only begun to take personal responsibility for his role on the team, the Bears have committed to running the ball whether it's successful or not. It's a test they'll have to pass again at home on Sunday when the Minnesota Vikings, one of the best run-stuffing teams in the NFL, visits for another crucial division showdown.The Vikings might have the best 1-2 punch at running back in the NFL to go with their solid run defense. If not for inconsistent play at quarterback they would be a team in the mix in the wretched NFC.Balance the key to winning''That's what we said we had to do -- we had to stick with it, even when we fell behind,'' offensive coordinator Ron Turner said. ''Down 10 at half? We said we had to stick with it, trying to mix in some play-action, trying to make some plays in the passing game which we ended up doing. But stick with the running game. We felt if we kept going it would pay dividends.''The Bears have gained the majority of their yards this season --67.4 percent -- by passing the football. That's just above the league average of 64 percent. But back in 2003 when the New England Patriots were en route to their second Super Bowl title under Bill Belichick they concentrated on finding balance in the running game even though they were splitting time between Antowain Smith and Kevin Faulk, a pair of journeymen who would never be among the league's top rushers.Belichick had done a study the year before after his team failed to make the playoffs following a Super Bowl year and learned that the magic number for NFL teams is 48 as a combination of pass completions and run attempts. His research revealed NFL teams won at an 80 percent clip when they reached balance between the run and pass.The Bears finished with 15 completions and 33 rushing attempts against Green Bay to wind up right on the magical number of 48. They're 2-3 on the season, but 2-1 when they reach that number so far this year.''Cedric ran great,'' Turner said. ''He ran with authority, I thought, the whole game. He ran hard and stuck it up in there and we're real pleased with the way he ran.''Sometimes it's not about the yards, it's all about attempts.

''Cedric ran great,'' Turner said. ''He ran with authority, I thought, the whole game. He ran hard and stuck it up in there and we're real pleased with the way he ran.''

Are they watching the same game?

''Cedric ran great,'' Turner said. ''He ran with authority, I thought, the whole game. He ran hard and stuck it up in there and we're real pleased with the way he ran.''Are they watching the same game?
Could it be that the Lord of Football and the other fantasy geeks on this message board dont really understand whats going on out on the field?

i watch em alright. and i'm not saying he's LJ or even Travis Henry (who LOTS of people said was garbage up until this off-season all of a sudden). what he is is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. hell the Browns won with Kevin Mack, Jarrod Bunch, etc. it doesn't take a stud RB to have a running game. he just has to be durable, get 3.5 - 4ypc and watch the defense stifle teams.
Good point, but shouldn't one have higher expectations with the overall #4 pick in a given draft? Shoot, you could draft the kind of player you are describing as a late first day, or even second day, draft choice. What you are describing is "just a guy". If I am spending $17 million on a #4 pick, I need someone who consistently can deliver those "Wow, did you see that run" type plays.For all you older Bear fans, Cedric Benson reminds me of how Neal Anderson ran in the last year or two of his career:Head down, goes down with first contact; in other words - SOFT!

Do I get a ribbon for managing to trade away Cedric in both leagues?

Had high hopes coming in (kept him in a 12 team PPR 4 player keeper, drafted him 2-14 in a 14 team PPR redraft) but he's turned the same effort in every week regardless of opponent. Enough to help keep my team 5-0 with around ten points per week but nothing more.

Traded him with Welker and a 5th round pick in week 3 of the keeper league for Edge James and a 10th and traded him in the redraft this morning along with Joey Galloway for Dwayne Bowe. He and Galloway had been on my bench for 2 weeks.

He might be the glue holding my two 5-0 teams together but probably not.

Do I get a ribbon for managing to trade away Cedric in both leagues?Had high hopes coming in (kept him in a 12 team PPR 4 player keeper, drafted him 2-14 in a 14 team PPR redraft) but he's turned the same effort in every week regardless of opponent. Enough to help keep my team 5-0 with around ten points per week but nothing more.Traded him with Welker and a 5th round pick in week 3 of the keeper league for Edge James and a 10th and traded him in the redraft this morning along with Joey Galloway for Dwayne Bowe. He and Galloway had been on my bench for 2 weeks.He might be the glue holding my two 5-0 teams together but probably not.
Did those guys you traded with use lube?

Lefty27 said:
i watch em alright. and i'm not saying he's LJ or even Travis Henry (who LOTS of people said was garbage up until this off-season all of a sudden).

what he is is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. hell the Browns won with Kevin Mack, Jarrod Bunch, etc. it doesn't take a stud RB to have a running game. he just has to be durable, get 3.5 - 4ypc and watch the defense stifle teams.
Good point, but shouldn't one have higher expectations with the overall #4 pick in a given draft? Shoot, you could draft the kind of player you are describing as a late first day, or even second day, draft choice. What you are describing is "just a guy". If I am spending $17 million on a #4 pick, I need someone who consistently can deliver those "Wow, did you see that run" type plays.For all you older Bear fans, Cedric Benson reminds me of how Neal Anderson ran in the last year or two of his career:

Head down, goes down with first contact; in other words - SOFT!
I actually mentioned that to my dad during the game... we always used to complain about post-injury Neal Anderson seeking out his Offensive-linemans back so he could run into it... I think Benson is a bit better... but I'll concede the similarity.

gferrell20 said:
lotta haters in here! buy benson while he's cheap!
He's been cheap since the first few weeks of his rookie season. His stock has dropped so much.. Kind of like JJ arrington's has.. I know your a homer but man get those goggles off.

gferrell20 said:
Kind of like JJ arrington's has.. I know your a homer but man get those goggles off.
The only difference being that Benson gets first, second, and third downs with his team, as well as all the goalline carries. Like him or not, that has some value in fantasy leagues.

gferrell20 said:
Kind of like JJ arrington's has.. I know your a homer but man get those goggles off.
The only difference being that Benson gets first, second, and third downs with his team, as well as all the goalline carries. Like him or not, that has some value in fantasy leagues.
As a RB3 he will do fine. Problem is most people drafted him to be a RB2 with upside to a stud RB this season.You can dream all you want about that. He is nothing more than a guy who is all the bears really have and you will get about 10 points a week from him. Which for a RB3 is good. But not for your RB2. So many thought he was going to break out this season. Not gonna happen. On the other hand Ronnie Brown...whoa man he has made me a believer.

From Chi Tribune:

Naaaaa. The one true fact is Besnon Blows. :confused:
You mean this Besnon??
Nah, I think he means this one.

Users who are viewing this thread