What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (1 Viewer)

For fans of psy. rock

Doug Tuttle's self titled debut album streaming here.

A few months back, Doug Tuttle showed off his guitar prowess with "Turn This Love," a six-minute stunner from his upcoming, self-titled debut album. Due January 28 via Trouble in Mind Records, the 11-track LP is Tuttle's first solo effort this time last year, he was a top-ranking member of the now-defunct psych-rock outfit MMOSS. But now, Tuttle is free to do his daytripping on his own. The six-string Cat's Cradle found on "Turn This Love" was only the beginning: Expand your consciousness by streaming the hazy, inspired collection below.
I also like Blank Realm.
I read something on Tuttle the other day and thought it sounded good. Will look for that. I liked parts of Blank Realm, but they could use a lesson in brevity. Some stuff just drags on too long for me.

For fans of psy. rock

A few months back, Doug Tuttle showed off his guitar prowess with "Turn This Love," a six-minute stunner from his upcoming, self-titled debut album. Due January 28 via Trouble in Mind Records, the 11-track LP is Tuttle's first solo effort this time last year, he was a top-ranking member of the now-defunct psych-rock outfit MMOSS. But now, Tuttle is free to do his daytripping on his own. The six-string Cat's Cradle found on "Turn This Love" was only the beginning: Expand your consciousness by streaming the hazy, inspired collection below.
I also like Blank Realm.
I read something on Tuttle the other day and thought it sounded good. Will look for that.I liked parts of Blank Realm, but they could use a lesson in brevity. Some stuff just drags on too long for me.
Yeah, the song writing from Blank Realm can be a tad hit or miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
For fans of psy. rock

I also like Blank Realm.
I read something on Tuttle the other day and thought it sounded good. Will look for that.I liked parts of Blank Realm, but they could use a lesson in brevity. Some stuff just drags on too long for me.
Have you listened to MMOSS? They were referenced when I read about Quilt too so they must be up my alley. Going to listen to their 2012 album at some point.

I like the new Maximo Park as much as any of their albums since Our Earthly Pleasures.

Maximo Park’s fifth album sounds like the work of a band who’ve been miraculously rejuvenated, unburdened of the pressure to conjure up banal indie anthems.

There are still vestiges of spiky post-punk here – 'My Bloody Mind' recalls Talking Heads; 'Is It True?' has a certain New Order-ish doom – but Too Much Information is even better when it pokes into new areas. There are the Depeche Mode gurgles of 'Leave This Island', the synth pop of 'Give, Get, Take', the Johnny Marr-ish distorted jangles of 'Lydia', the heavy metal crunch of 'Her Name Was Audrey'.

It’s harmonically ambitious too but, like their Wearside pals Field Music, Maximo Park wear their proggier instincts lightly, never letting them suffocate the hooklines. An unexpected triumph.
Brain Cells

Leave this Island

Together PANGEA is my fav of the year so far. Good work by Nigel as always, mining the reviews and digging out the good stuff.
:thumbup:
I wish I had just thrown this up on Spotify instead of ending up on youtube after googling so I didn't have to see a video.

Loving the music, but want to kick them in their art-school moustaches and 80s ironic/nostaligic outfits. .
Yeah don't look at any of these guys in new bands, they're all hipster doofuses

For fans of psy. rock

I also like Blank Realm.
Have you listened to MMOSS? They were referenced when I read about Quilt too so they must be up my alley. Going to listen to their 2012 album at some point.
Ya, That 2012 album is nice. Kinda wish they weren't on hiatus.

I plan on seeing Quilt W/Tuttle in person next month. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I've listened to a ton I love of late: Liquor Store (2013), together PANGEA, Quilt, Morgan Delt, Doug Tuttle (and Mmoss!), and Holy Wave (don't sleep on this). Good times.

I like the self-titled album from Augustines. It's their second except the band was named We Are Augustines last time out. Two of the three members used to be in a band called Pela that I pimped here about five or six years ago.

Billy McCarthy's voice is kind of an acquired taste but he has a knack for big, anthemic songs that seem important. If I have one criticism is that the songs tend to blend together a bit in spite of a more varied production this time by Peter Katis.

For fans of psy. rock

A few months back, Doug Tuttle showed off his guitar prowess with "Turn This Love," a six-minute stunner from his upcoming, self-titled debut album. Due January 28 via Trouble in Mind Records, the 11-track LP is Tuttle's first solo effort — this time last year, he was a top-ranking member of the now-defunct psych-rock outfit MMOSS. But now, Tuttle is free to do his daytripping on his own. The six-string Cat's Cradle found on "Turn This Love" was only the beginning: Expand your consciousness by streaming the hazy, inspired collection below.
I also like Blank Realm.
Blank Realm album kicks ###. Thanks!

You can file the self titled debut from New York band The Drowners in between The Smiths and Strokes in your crates. There's nothing at all innovative about their sound but they've put together a very enjoyable collection of well crafted, up-tempo songs featuring a guitar player who sounds more like Johnny Marr circa 1986 than Marr does himself today.

The new album from the recently "streamlined" Lost in the Trees is streaming on NPR now - "Past Life"

I'm about halfway through and digging it. Love his voice, which seems more heavily featured now that it's a four piece instead of a six.

Check out a couple new bands from across the pond that sound alright to me.. Eagulls and Post War Glamour Girls.

Disco Stu said:
JZilla said:
Check out a couple new bands from across the pond that sound alright to me.. Eagulls and Post War Glamour Girls.
Is their album out? I posted "Nerve Endings" in the song thread last year but haven't heard an album yet.
Yeah well it's leaked anyway. It's good! However I'm reconsidering PWGG after a full listen.. it's a little hammy.

Beck's Morning Phase is sounding good.
Looking forward to the Beck one and Sun Kil Moon. Spotify has made me not even bother trying to look for leaks.
The Sun Kil Moon is pretty good if you like where Kozelek has been headed the last few years. Very personal, at times confessional lyrics and his usual skilled acoustic picking. I like it but I still kind of miss the full band stuff that sounded like the second coming of Crazy Horse.

Currently liking:

Bombay Bicycle Club

together PANGEA

Temples

Cheatahs

Drowners
:hifive:

Liking all of these- most of which I got from you guys. Spotify just told me to listen to Cheatahs... I told spotify to go #### itself, but it said- no, really- give it a try- it's going to be better than most of the crap hipster synth-pop I keep recommending for you. hifive spotify.

Lake Street Dive's new one will be big for them. Nice to see a band slogging away for 10 years finally have a breakthrough album.

On last year's Local Business LP, Titus Andronicus took a more direct songwriting approach than its predecessor, 2010 epic The Monitor. Now, frontman Patrick Stickles has detailed plans for the band's next record, which he said will outsize The Monitor in its scope of ambition. Speaking with Missoulian, Stickles said the album will take the form of a fictional rock opera spanning over 30 songs, with film accompaniment. It's available to pre-order at the band's website with a tentative release date of November 2014.

Its narrative will be inspired by Stickles' experience with manic depression, as well as some philosophical and psychological literature-- including Nietzche's "The Birth of Tragedy" and the 1996 book "Touched With Fire", which explores the impact of manic depression on creativity. Below, read Stickles' elaborate plot description to Missoulian reporter Cory Walsh.

The music itself will be "maybe" more punk-- faster, distorted guitar work-- and the film element, he says, will be like "33 music videos for 33 songs," inspired by one-shot rap videos.

Beck's Morning Phase is sounding good.
Looking forward to the Beck one and Sun Kil Moon. Spotify has made me not even bother trying to look for leaks.
The Sun Kil Moon is pretty good if you like where Kozelek has been headed the last few years. Very personal, at times confessional lyrics and his usual skilled acoustic picking. I like it but I still kind of miss the full band stuff that sounded like the second coming of Crazy Horse.
Listened to SKM today. Greg ####er summed up my thoughts "That's amazing, so much love, and also so much information."

Better than Among The Leaves but not as good as their earlier stuff.

Really enjoying the Meg Myers EP - Make A Shadow

Kind of all over the place, but mainly angry chick music. Alanis but sexier.

While Ive first listened to the new Beck and Temples a couple times each this week and really like both, but I heard about this other band Mo Lowda & the Humble and Ive been hooked on them, probably listened to their album Curse The Weather nearly a dozen times the last 4-5 days.

Im actually surprised I even stumbled on to them as theyre pretty small (all but 1 of their songs have less than 1,000 listens on spotify). Theyre all local Philly guys and students at Temple U (seems like half their vids on youtube which arent many to begin with are house parties), and getting a good word of mouth locally. Im really impressed with this album, they have that hard to find ability to build songs as they go to a climax which is difficult, and something I love. A lot of soul in the vocals as well. Dont really know what to compare it to bandwise or describe it as it is a mix of many sounds, so I guess that makes it some sort of alternative rock. I couldnt even find a link for my favorite song so far, the opener The Way Home (great guitar hook), but you can hear it on spotify obviously and I've linked a few others.

Curse The Weather

Runaway

I Don't Know

The band Natural Child is pretty freaking awesome! They have an album coming out Feb 25. :Highly recommend:

Users who are viewing this thread