What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bilal Powell - Potential Deep Sleeper? (1 Viewer)

'Sabertooth said:
'TheFanatic said:
Sorry, had my running schemes inverted. I meant he was going from the one to the other and yes, he's a straight line runner, so the one cut and gone is not really his thing...
I'm not sure anything against a proficient defense is "his thing." He's just not that good.
If he has a thing, it's running in a straight line. Any deviation and he's even slower than molasses.
He's a plodder for sure.

'Sabertooth said:
'TheFanatic said:
Sorry, had my running schemes inverted. I meant he was going from the one to the other and yes, he's a straight line runner, so the one cut and gone is not really his thing...
I'm not sure anything against a proficient defense is "his thing." He's just not that good.
If he has a thing, it's running in a straight line. Any deviation and he's even slower than molasses.
He's a plodder for sure.
He actually has pretty nice straight line speed for a back his size. He has very little ability to make people miss and/or gain yards on his own (i.e. he's not getting much other than what is blocked for him).

I think they're trying to make this guy the 3rd down back so he can get Sanchez killed and then start Tebow without controversy.

How did he look running the ball tonight?
Greene and powell looked horrid. Mcknight(who didn't play till 2nd half) was pretty productive
it was a horrible night for the first team offense all around. powell was the 3rd down back with the starters i believe, which might mean something, might not. he did allow one of the sacks, otherwise his pass protection was pretty good and he looked better with the ball in his hands than greene did, but that isn't saying much. i think the jury is still out on this whole offense.

I have been hanging on to this guy in my deep roster dynasty leagues.

I am not expecting much, even if he becomes the lead dog. The mere fact that the Jets have absolutely no threat of a real passing game has me bearish at best on any back on this team.

I think Powell is a slight upgrade over Greene (who has alwways been a turd in my mind) but nothing to get too excited about. We can see a change within 4-6 weeks if their season starts to derail quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked awful in the preseason. Jets will be shopping for a big time running back next offseason

I'm not exactly sure why Waldman was so high on this guy. I dropped Dwyer to keep him in dynasty before training camp (oof!) and he just looks like an average joe RB who will get what is blocked, nothing more.

Seems like he may be a good pickup...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/bilal-powell-beats-joe-mcknight-ny-jets-third-down-running-back-job-article-1.1152164

A few players told the News last week that they were impressed with Powell's pass protection skills. (Remember: Mark Sanchez was sacked 39 times in 2011).

Powell finished the preseason with 92 yards on 26 carries and three catches for 17 yards. A few offensive players told the News last week that Powell was the best player flying under the radar in camp.

I'm not exactly bullish on the guy, but he was the best rb in camp. He is faster than Greene and can catch way better than him. Not a lot of wiggle in either player.

Bump... I'm really starting to get a good feeling about this guy.

No real basis for my gut feeling, but Greene is clearly not the answer and Powell seems like the only reasonable option behind him.

He costs basically nothing right now and I think he is one of the best end of roster values(your last or 2nd to last roster spot) going right now.

As we know with Greene, if Powell can get the job, where looking at 250 carries a year.

...[we're] looking at 250 carries a year.
Until the Jets draft someone better next year.Powell has a very short window to prove his worth as a low(er) draft pick on a run-focused team. If he doesn't light #### up, he's a backup again starting next season.
That's also a possibility, and probably the smart idea for the Jets.But Greene has been one of the most mediocre backs in the league for what? 3 years now? and they haven't spent higher than a 4th rounder on anyone.logically I would totally agree with you and think that its almost imperative they take someone in the top 3 rounds of next year's draft. But I don't know that they even care about the position that much as a whole. We will have to wait and see, obviously his(Powell) chances of hitting are around 5% right now, but worth the non-existent risk considering the potential reward.

Joe McKnight sounds discouraged about his move to cornerback.

Over the last two seasons, McKnight has averaged 3.21 YPC and fallen behind Bilal Powell on the depth chart. He apparently doesn't realize that he wasn't going to cut it as a running back. "The way I took it as I wasn't good enough to play running back; that's what I took it as," McKnight said. The third-year pro hasn't played cornerback in a game since high school. Sep 27 - 8:16 AM

Source: ESPN New York

looking good for Bilal

Until the Jets draft someone better next year.

Powell has a very short window to prove his worth as a low(er) draft pick on a run-focused team. If he doesn't light #### up, he's a backup again starting next season.
Or sign someone away from the Texans this year. Grimes could easily be the starter by midseason.
this would shock the hell out of me. I haven't see anything from Grimes that shows he is a better RB than Powell.

Powell has a very short window to prove his worth as a low(er) draft pick on a run-focused team. If he doesn't light #### up, he's a backup again starting next season.
Or sign someone away from the Texans this year. Grimes could easily be the starter by midseason.
this would shock the hell out of me. I haven't see anything from Grimes that shows he is a better RB than Powell.
No one has seen Grimes play in a real game yet, but I'm seen Powell play and am not impressed. Yes, he's better than Greene but that's not saying much.

No one has seen Grimes play in a real game yet, but I'm seen Powell play and am not impressed. Yes, he's better than Greene but that's not saying much.
true - not in a real NFL game but what I saw in college was a guy who could not run away from FCS players. Not saying that automatically means NFL failure but it's rare that it correlates to success.

I said this in one of the other threads, but I liked Powell coming out of college. He has good versatility running, catching, and blocking. In college he seemed to be good at making his cut and finding a seam to get down field. The offense itself could hold his upside back a bit, but I wouldn't completely write-off his talent so quickly.

Greene's running style, if it can be called that, makes him an easy target for big hits, and I don't see him holding up to 15 to 20 carries a game.

Sure, Powell may not be any more than a very average RB, but at least for this year, at some point I see him replacing Greene as the "starter" whether due to injury or sub-par performance. By default he has high RB3 to low RB2 potential. I picked up Powell after week 2 thinking Ryan can't possibly keep running a woefully ineffective Greene out there game after game. Greene takes a lot of big hits. He can't elude a fire hydrant.

Ryan sometimes just doesn't start or keep his best players. He released Woodhead to keep Patrick Turner. Not exactly a brilliant personnel decision. Either way, at some point I see Powell get the majority of RB touches on this awful offense.

true - not in a real NFL game but what I saw in college was a guy who could not run away from FCS players. Not saying that automatically means NFL failure but it's rare that it correlates to success.
Powell is not a blazer and wouldn't have been able to either. I don't think Grimes is the next coming but let's not pretend Powell has some amazing pedigree. Powell - 5-10.5, 207, 4.51 (Pro Day), 18 reps

Grimes - 5-10, 207, 4.53, 23 reps, 38" vertical, 10-5" broad, 4.03 shuttle, 6.84 3 cone (all Pro Day)

Powell has not looked impressive at all. Flex player at best.

If your depending on him as more than a bye week player your in big trouble.

And again...I have held on to him in several deep roster leagues and I have watched him every game this year.

He is nothing special......at all.

Powell has not looked impressive at all. Flex player at best.If your depending on him as more than a bye week player your in big trouble.And again...I have held on to him in several deep roster leagues and I have watched him every game this year.He is nothing special......at all.
Agreed, if you had someone like Royster or Wilson as your RB4 he is a better stash and could come in handy down the road for bye weeks.

Lots of armchair GMs in the thread.

Powell may not amount to much, but I'm going to leave it to the professional scouts and coaching staff.

From what it sounds like here, Powell is not very good. Did NYJ just drop the ball? I don't understand why everyone's so low on a 2nd year 4th round draft pick on a run-first team. It's not like he's gotten much of an opportunity.

Powell has not looked impressive at all. Flex player at best.If your depending on him as more than a bye week player your in big trouble.And again...I have held on to him in several deep roster leagues and I have watched him every game this year.He is nothing special......at all.
Powell looked awful last year. Then I read a piece that Powell looked quick this offseason (anyone will look quick compared to Greene)He looks...better than Shonn Greene this year. How much better than awful that is is a matter of opinion.At best, he's a bye week/flex player. I don't think he'll be impressive enough to keep even the plodding Greene off the field.Ryan & Co need to move up the "Ground and Pound" mindset, but they simply don't have the talent at RB. If you're going to stick with that, you might as well go all in with Tebow at QB.

Powell is not a blazer and wouldn't have been able to either. I don't think Grimes is the next coming but let's not pretend Powell has some amazing pedigree. Powell - 5-10.5, 207, 4.51 (Pro Day), 18 repsGrimes - 5-10, 207, 4.53, 23 reps, 38" vertical, 10-5" broad, 4.03 shuttle, 6.84 3 cone (all Pro Day)
I think perhaps Powell's speed is underrated. Now I don't think he is a blazer per se. But I don't see why he can't be speed wise what the Stephen Ridleys, BJGEs, Alfred Morris, Doug Martins etc of the world are. In fact, if the planets align, I think Powell will show similar burst to those 4 and actually have better breakaway speed.

From what it sounds like here, Powell is not very good. Did NYJ just drop the ball? I don't understand why everyone's so low on a 2nd year 4th round draft pick on a run-first team. It's not like he's gotten much of an opportunity.
I don't think he's that bad but he hasn't been good. Maybe when he gets more carries he'll look better, we'll see.

@RichCimini: WR Eric Decker (knee), RB Chris Ivory (groin) didn't practice. Bowles sounds concerned about Ivory. He said it will be a game-time decision.

seems like Bilal is the #2 option behind Ivory. He looked good this pre-season, is it an abberation ?
No, he's always been like that.

Powell, to me, is a workmanlike talent who is always going to be a part of an NFL backfield. He'll get you a 4.0 ypc average, catch what you throw to him, and blocks very well. There's nothing all that special about him (he's not outrunning or running over people), but he could probably put up solid RB2 numbers in PPR if given a chance (which he'll probably never quite get.)

Agree, his upside is capped by his talent, we've seen what he can do. So he's not a lottery ticket. But for us RB starved teams, he's worth the spot. I'll take 12 carries and 4-5 targets.

ESPN's Rich Cimini expects Bilal Powell to be the Jets' lead back this season.

We saw this shift to Powell starting to take place late last season when Forte was dealing with various injuries. And with the Jets now in full-blown rebuild mode, they may as well let the 28-year-old Powell see what he can do with a full season's worth of work. Forte broke down by midseason last year and is entering his age-32 year. At this stage, Powell offers more as both a runner and pass catcher and can play all three downs. He's looking like an RB2 with upside.

Related: Matt Forte

Source: ESPN.com 
May 8 - 10:01 AM

Speaking Tuesday, Jets OC John Morton said he's planning to use a backfield-by-committee in 2017.
Morton said it will vary week to week whether Bilal Powell or Matt Forte takes the lead. Morton is mostly just confirming the obvious, but it's our strong suspicion that Powell will lead in touches more often than not. He was the far more dynamic player in 2016, making plays on all three downs. Now 31, Forte has lost a step or three. It could be a frustrating situation, but Powell is definitely the preferred own.

Related: Matt Forte

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter 
May 23 - 1:19 PM

This guy's gonna be an RB1 stud this year. They have nobody to pass to. Hes gonna be their complete offense.

This guy's gonna be an RB1 stud this year. They have nobody to pass to. Hes gonna be their complete offense.
How is the Jets situation this year much different than the Rams situation last year? No receivers, no established QB, etc. Gurley had no place to run and ended up ranked as RB19. I am not sure having no one else on offense to draw attention is a good thing.

How is the Jets situation this year much different than the Rams situation last year? No receivers, no established QB, etc. Gurley had no place to run and ended up ranked as RB19. I am not sure having no one else on offense to draw attention is a good thing.
Powell could catch 70+ balls this year & McCown is better than any of the Rams QBs

Users who are viewing this thread