What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Jacobs will be a stud this year (1 Viewer)

There's no pinned thread, so I assume there was some positive news, and he's playing? Or just an oversight?

Found this on cbssportsline:

Report: Jacobs expected to play: NFL Network reports that Giants RB Brandon Jacobs is expected to play at Arizona in Week 12. Jacobs has been limited in practice with a swollen knee, but he was listed as probable for the matchup. (Updated 11/23/2008).

Three consecutive years Jacobs fails to play 16 games, and that is in a shared role.

Also, the Giants scored about 20% more points without Jacobs than they had averaged with him available this season.

Ward's performance really exposed the flaws of Jacobs and what that offense can do with a multi-dimensional RB who can run, catch, and convert at the stripe.

Excellent performance by Ward, he needs to be the guy going forward.

Three consecutive years Jacobs fails to play 16 games, and that is in a shared role.Also, the Giants scored about 20% more points without Jacobs than they had averaged with him available this season.Ward's performance really exposed the flaws of Jacobs and what that offense can do with a multi-dimensional RB who can run, catch, and convert at the stripe.Excellent performance by Ward, he needs to be the guy going forward.
His(wards) ground stats were not that Great??(20-69 yards) Plus did Ward not miss a bunch of games last year. I have to admit i was disappointed when Jacobs did not play, I wondering if he is a little on the soft side?

Three consecutive years Jacobs fails to play 16 games, and that is in a shared role.Also, the Giants scored about 20% more points without Jacobs than they had averaged with him available this season.Ward's performance really exposed the flaws of Jacobs and what that offense can do with a multi-dimensional RB who can run, catch, and convert at the stripe.Excellent performance by Ward, he needs to be the guy going forward.
:pickle: Great game by Ward. 3.4 yds per carry. Getting it done. :sadbanana:

Hold on there HK- I understand from reading these boards that you are not a Jacobs fan - even though you secretly covet him. I dont know why I find myself sucked in but here goes....Jacobs would have played yesterday if the Superbowl champs thought they needed him to beat Arizona. If it was life or death game against the Cowboys or Skins - Jacobs would have been there bowling people over. The fact remains that the Champs have such depth at the position AND they want Jacobs 100% for the Washington, Philly, Carolina, Dallas run.Jacobs is the best running back on the team and he will be paid this year as a free agent - hopefully by the Giants.

Watchign the game yesterday I cant help but think what Jacobs couldve done out there. Ward showed no power whatsoever. Giants would be fools to let Jacobs go.

Three consecutive years Jacobs fails to play 16 games, and that is in a shared role.

Also, the Giants scored about 20% more points without Jacobs than they had averaged with him available this season.

Ward's performance really exposed the flaws of Jacobs and what that offense can do with a multi-dimensional RB who can run, catch, and convert at the stripe.

Excellent performance by Ward, he needs to be the guy going forward.
Hold on there HK- I understand from reading these boards that you are not a Jacobs fan - even though you secretly covet him. I dont know why I find myself sucked in but here goes....Jacobs would have played yesterday if the Superbowl champs thought they needed him to beat Arizona. If it was life or death game against the Cowboys or Skins - Jacobs would have been there bowling people over. The fact remains that the Champs have such depth at the position AND they want Jacobs 100% for the Washington, Philly, Carolina, Dallas run.
:shark: This game had major HFA implications within the Conference. NYG had to have this game. Don't kid yourself that just because it wasn't a divisional opponent that it didn't matter as much. If they lost that game, they'd be in a dog fight for HFA and AZ would own the HTH.

I think this showed how much the running game needs Jacobs. A little over 3 YPC against a middle of the road rush defense. Giants nedd Jacobs as much if not more than he needs them. Without him their running game is very ordinary.

Officially ignored... :shark:

Ward gains 34 more yards than Jacobs on 6 fewer touches. The offense continues to be more explosive and versatile with DW in the game.

Also, Jacobs streak for not catching a pass is at 5 games and climbing.

13.1 points from my RB2, an awesome 3rd round pick.

Didn't really need it with CJ3, Royal, Eli, Crosby, Baltimore, etc, but put me over the century mark again.

Ward gains 34 more yards than Jacobs on 6 fewer touches. The offense continues to be more explosive and versatile with DW in the game.Also, Jacobs streak for not catching a pass is at 5 games and climbing.
will you post your team?

Well, another game that further puts thjis debate to rest.

A 70% healthy Jacobs runs through a tired Redskins defense in the second half to cement this win. And yet another TD for him.

If he were a 25 carry-per-game guy, he'd hold every single season record in the book.

Ward is a good player, too, but I guarantee you that the defensive players are thrilled to death to see him come in the game to give Jacobs a breather.

Well, another game that further puts thjis debate to rest.A 70% healthy Jacobs runs through a tired Redskins defense in the second half to cement this win. And yet another TD for him.If he were a 25 carry-per-game guy, he'd hold every single season record in the book.Ward is a good player, too, but I guarantee you that the defensive players are thrilled to death to see him come in the game to give Jacobs a breather.
Yes but we've also seen what happens to Jacobs when he does get a full load over the last couple of years, he's much better off having a complementary back because he constantly gets hurt if he gets too many touches.I have Jacobs in one league and I'm a little bit worried about his production in the fantasy playoffs, I could definitly see the Giants tapering off his carries the closer they get to the real playoffs.

I see no lull in production from Jacobs. He looked like a stud yesterday late in the game and that was with 8-9 in the box most of the game.

Do want Bjac.

Philly game recap

1) RBBC - Jacobs had barely 40% of RB touches

2) Zero receptions

3) Zero GL attempts

4) Not tough enough to finish another game

Seems like I've seen this before....

Philly game recap1) RBBC - Jacobs had barely 40% of RB touches2) Zero receptions3) Zero GL attempts4) Not tough enough to finish another gameSeems like I've seen this before....
Didn't think you would be in here today after I throttled you in the first round. :goodposting:You were actually the only person I was hoping I wouldn't face in the playoffs, but thank you Chris Cooley. I was getting nervous after AZ's defense kept returning turnovers for TDs, but my faith in the Baltimore D is renewed. Next, Wheelhouse.

Philly game recap1) RBBC - Jacobs had barely 40% of RB touches2) Zero receptions3) Zero GL attempts4) Not tough enough to finish another gameSeems like I've seen this before....
Didn't think you would be in here today after I throttled you in the first round. ;)You were actually the only person I was hoping I wouldn't face in the playoffs, but thank you Chris Cooley. I was getting nervous after AZ's defense kept returning turnovers for TDs, but my faith in the Baltimore D is renewed. Next, Wheelhouse.
How ironic that Jacobs poor performance helped knock HK out of the playoffs. Guess he shouldve listened to his own advice and not drafted him :goodposting:

Didn't think you would be in here today after I throttled you in the first round. ;)You were actually the only person I was hoping I wouldn't face in the playoffs, but thank you Chris Cooley. I was getting nervous after AZ's defense kept returning turnovers for TDs, but my faith in the Baltimore D is renewed. Next, Wheelhouse.
How ironic that Jacobs poor performance helped knock HK out of the playoffs. Guess he shouldve listened to his own advice and not drafted him :goodposting:
I hate to burst your bubble, but he actually correctly sat Jacobs, although with Slaton and Turner it was an easy choice.That said, this will be the first time in a few years (I have only been in the league 2 years now) that he isn't the champion or runner-up. It was fun beating him though, he was #1 in total points and I was right behind him at #2. Somehow we didn't get the sweet schedules and had to play each other early.Oh well, still nice to be in it and not sitting it out next to the Bengals and Lions. :)

Wow the Giants look completely different with no Jacobs in the lineup, IMO Ward is NOT nearly as effective, he did have a few nice runs but the Giants running game that had been averaging over 100 yards a game with Jacobs does not come close..

The Giants better get things straighten out quickly or unlike last year they won't go very far in the playoffs

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Jacobs did more for himself as far as getting himself a contract with the NYG next by not playing this game than anything else. The running game was obviously lacking the physical nature he brings. I really think if Jacobs plays this game, the NYG win tonight.

Agreed. Jacobs did more for himself as far as getting himself a contract with the NYG next by not playing this game than anything else. The running game was obviously lacking the physical nature he brings. I really think if Jacobs plays this game, the NYG win tonight.
That's a big stretch. The Giants O line was not making holes and was not protecting Manning. Is he a valuable player when he plays? YesBut one of the biggest questions about him is his durability. Missing a game doesn't help that.

Like I said in another thread, the game against Carolina next week now becomes a huge game. A lot was made of the fact the Giants didn't need Jacobs this week so why push him. Well they need him next week so let's see how he responds. There is nothing structurally wrong with his knee. As Coughlin has said he has had "numerous" Mri's that show no damage.

The Giants can lose the first seed with a loss next week. And they likely could lose the #2 seed if they lose their last 2 games.

So the Giants definitely need Jacobs this week. Let's see how he responds. How he does next week and in the playoffs will mean much more to his pending value than anything he did or didn't do today.

That's a big stretch. The Giants O line was not making holes and was not protecting Manning. Is he a valuable player when he plays? Yes
Of course it's a stretch. It's based on nothing but opinion and speculation. But, as you said above, Manning wasn't protected. Jacobs is, by far, the best pass-blocking RB on the team. In addition to what he brings to the running game, he brings this addition to the passing game. This was a close contest until Dallas broke the long run in the 4th qtr. I think if the NYG were playing with the lead instead of from behind, I think that 4th qtr has a completely different complexion. And I think Jacobs influence would have likely allowed them to control the ball better early on and dictate the game instead of the Cowboys doing so. Completely speculation, but that's just how I see it.

Wow the Giants look completely different with no Jacobs in the lineup, IMO Ward is NOT nearly as effective, he did have a few nice runs but the Giants running game that had been averaging over 100 yards a game with Jacobs does not come close.. The Giants better get things straighten out quickly or unlike last year they won't go very far in the playoffs
No Burress and a dinged o-line have hurt them much more than not having Jacobs. Even though Burress wasn't having a huge year, defenses still needed to account for him. Now nobody needs special attention from DB's and D's can focus more on stopping the run, and as we saw last night, bringing pressure in situations when the O is behind on down/distance schedule.

The man's a beast but unfortunately there's no way this guy can stay healthy. The only way to tackle 265 lbs is to hit 'em low, and Jacobs is just too long in the legs to avoid knee injuries. Obviously the Giants feel the same way, hence splitting the load three (3) ways...
This is a common misconception.Jacobs injuries were a knee that was caused from his own lineman getting pushed back into the side of his knee when he was planted (fluke) and then he hurt his hammy. the only other bruises Jacobs had were to the shoulders but he didn't miss any games for those (stingers).

Everyone assumed he would get banged up as you mention, but the injuries were not from hits.

I do think a player like him might get more stingers etc...but the fluke injuries he had were not because of his size last year.
Fluke? Aren't 90% of NFL injuries somewhat of a fluke? Injuries happen when chance and opportunity collide, which is on every single down in the NFL.For Jacobs, 'opportunity' is toting the rock 200+ times thru thousands of pounds of flying flesh and plastic while running high. 'Chance' will come in the form of some sneaky little DB hitting him in the only place he can to bring him down, which is his legs.

I wasn't really referring to last year so much as years moving forward. Remember Greg Jones in JAX? How about AD in MIN? At some point he'll be rambling thru a crowd and take one from the side from some sneaky little DB, or get stood up, etc. He just doesn't run with his shoulders low enough to avoid the contact to his legs.

He's going to get hurt, period, and that's why he's not even on my draft board. The only fluke about the injuries to his knees last year was that they weren't more severe...
Nice display of football acumen by JTM here.

Wow the Giants look completely different with no Jacobs in the lineup, IMO Ward is NOT nearly as effective, he did have a few nice runs but the Giants running game that had been averaging over 100 yards a game with Jacobs does not come close..

The Giants better get things straighten out quickly or unlike last year they won't go very far in the playoffs
No Burress and a dinged o-line have hurt them much more than not having Jacobs.

Even though Burress wasn't having a huge year, defenses still needed to account for him. Now nobody needs special attention from DB's and D's can focus more on stopping the run, and as we saw last night, bringing pressure in situations when the O is behind on down/distance schedule.
Care to revisit this silliness, HK?Just like magic, Jacobs returns, and the line looks great, Ward runs wild, and Manning looks like a decent QB again.

And, as hard as I looked, I still didn't see Plaxico out there.

Even though Burress wasn't having a huge year, defenses still needed to account for him. Now nobody needs special attention from DB's and D's can focus more on stopping the run, and as we saw last night, bringing pressure in situations when the O is behind on down/distance schedule.
Care to revisit this silliness, HK?Just like magic, Jacobs returns, and the line looks great, Ward runs wild, and Manning looks like a decent QB again.

The Giants lost to a desperate Cowboy team on the road, and when their backs were against the wall at home they still almost lost but dodged a bullet because Kasay botched the FG.Trying to give Jacobs credit for the performances of Manning and Ward is beyond a stretch. Ward took that team on his shoulders and won that game in OT. Jacobs had nothing to do with it.

Trying to give Jacobs credit for the performances of Manning and Ward is beyond a stretch. Ward took that team on his shoulders and won that game in OT. Jacobs had nothing to do with it.
Yeah, but what a unknowledgable viewer like yourself can't see is how Jacobs' constant pounding wears down a defense in the second half. Also, why didn't Ward decide to take the team 'on his shoulders' the week before, when Jacobs was out?

Is it starting to make sense now?

Trying to give Jacobs credit for the performances of Manning and Ward is beyond a stretch. Ward took that team on his shoulders and won that game in OT. Jacobs had nothing to do with it.
Yeah, but what a unknowledgable viewer like yourself can't see is how Jacobs' constant pounding wears down a defense in the second half. Also, why didn't Ward decide to take the team 'on his shoulders' the week before, when Jacobs was out?

*sigh*You really don't see any other variables in entire team play from one week to the next? Not opponent? Not location? Not environment? Not a kicker making a kick versus missing one? All you see is Jacobs played and ran at 3.6 a clip, so that was the big difference in the Giants winning this week instead of losing last week.

*sigh*You really don't see any other variables in entire team play from one week to the next? Not opponent? Not location? Not environment? Not a kicker making a kick versus missing one? All you see is Jacobs played and ran at 3.6 a clip, so that was the big difference in the Giants winning this week instead of losing last week.
Seriously, do you watch the games at all?I watch every game, beginning to end, and the difference between the Giants running game with Jacobs, and without him, is simply staggering.

And from a fantasy perspective, the Ward scenario is even more fascinating. One would think that when Jacobs is out, that Ward would go nuts behind the Giants great O-line, but he really doesn't. When Ward is playing w/out Jacobs, its like he's running through mud, but when he is in relief of Jacobs, the holes are just gaping.

Anybody with the slightest bit of football knowledge could see how much Jacobs means to the Giants offense.

Seriously, do you watch the games at all?I watch every game, beginning to end, and the difference between the Giants running game with Jacobs, and without him, is simply staggering.

And from a fantasy perspective, the Ward scenario is even more fascinating. One would think that when Jacobs is out, that Ward would go nuts behind the Giants great O-line, but he really doesn't. When Ward is playing w/out Jacobs, its like he's running through mud, but when he is in relief of Jacobs, the holes are just gaping.

Anybody with the slightest bit of football knowledge could see how much Jacobs means to the Giants offense.
You may want to go back and see who you are quoting here.

Users who are viewing this thread