What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buffalo Safety-Damar Hamlin is awake and **Bills at Bengals** Game has been Canceled (1 Viewer)

Not trying to diagnose this poor guy’s condition, but after watching the replay, he took a direct blow to the chest. It could be a freak case of Commotio cordis.

Pro athletes are in top condition. Let’s hope Hamlin has that on his side. Prayers.

This is awful. Calling the game is the right call for now. Bigger things in play here.
Yes this is what I was referring.

That’s not good. Prolonged CPR on the field, so he must have had a cardiopulmonary arrest. It’s not clear if they even revived him. Assuming he survives, being down that long (10+ minutes?) is likely to cause permanent neurologic damage.

ETA Good to see he has a pulse, but definitely not out of the woods yet.

Saw the replay. I know someone that got hit square in the chest with a baseball and almost died, this reminded me of that :(
That’s what I thought. Helmet caught him in the chest. There is always an aortic risk with that kind of impact.

Any decision should not be up to either team. Goodell needs to make the call.

Having a pulse is a good sign, standard that he needs support for breathing. 9.5 minutes is a long time to give CPR, but he is young and in prime condition. Prayers for a full recovery

Everything else is secondary, now. The game should be called or rescheduled or whatever they need to do.

We typically hear something like
"He was alert" and we didn't get any of that and we haven't heard a GD F'Bomb word if this guy is going to be OK or not
It's very frustrating right now

Can it be that his throat was crushed or something and they ended up doing a tracheotomy? Just looking at that hit, it was like into his neck maybe.

If the coaches decide to stop the game that probably means he is dead unfortunately.
I really, really, really hope that's not the case, but you could be right.
Booger misstated it. CPR is not because “someone needs help breathing”.

CPR is administered when a player’s heart has stopped beating.

I cannot see how this game can continue.
It's either or. CPR doesn't just mean chest compressions, and even chest compressions are done if the heart rate is present but too slow

All things considered, that's encouraging.

Lost in the moment, let's not forget those men and/or women who were there immediately trying to save his life....and, Lord-willing, did.

Very encouraging.
I am sorry to say, but while this is better than no pulse, it's not very encouraging

I was here for the Kevin Everett injury and I can't recall ever seeing something like this, with both teams sent back to the locker rooms. As far as I know, this is literally unprecedented.

Another thing to take to mind:. Truly awesome job by the medical staff. We are quick to rag on the NFL, refs, etc, but give credit the the medical staff. They saved a life tonight.
It’s crazy to think but read a doc on Twitter who said this is “the best” place to collapse with an issue. Trained people everywhere and very close.

I swear if they restart this game without even confirming the guy is alive I might be done for good.

If they resumed the game tomorrow, how exactly does that work? Keep score and time as is, right? Or do they start completely over like baseball?

Jesus CPR for nine minutes…
Did they say they did CPR for nine minutes or that he was down on the field for nine minutes. That’s a long time.
That's the issue
We hear he has a pulse but we hear he isn't breathing on his own
That doesn't sound good but I'm not a medic
Could be in a coma

Hoping for the best outcome but Hamlin is fighting for his life right now
Isn’t breathing on his own probably means he was intubated which I would expect to maintain his airway.

Users who are viewing this thread