What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C. Portis knee problems (1 Viewer)

VICK-tory

Footballguy
From draftsharks.com

http://www.draftsharks.com/content.php/news/list

Insider's take on Clinton Portis

A source to the Washington Redskins told us today that RB Clinton Portis' knee tendinitis "isn't all that big of a deal" and he is still running and doing all his conditioning work. "They're just trying to be extra-cautious, holding him out of contact drills and heavy 9-on-7/half-line stuff," our source said. He also added that Joe Gibbs wants Portis preserved this time around, after last year's preseason injury. Our source doesn't seem near as worried as paranoid fantasy GMs. We'll kick Portis up just a couple notches. Of course he's going to share the ball with Ladell Betts. The good news is Portis' ADP has slipped down to that 3.2 area where the LaDainian Tomlinson or Steven Jackson-owner could consider taking him after the unbearable wait from 1.1 or 1.2.

Thoughts? A lot of people are avoiding Portis like Olestra potato chips, should we be looking for value>? :confused:

Conditioning/running is good news, but he hadn't reported any problems doing just that this offseason. It is when he took part in drills and was actually cutting and shifting that he felt pain and stopped practicing. I don't really think anyone knows how serious this really is until he gets back to cutting.

Conditioning/running is good news, but he hadn't reported any problems doing just that this offseason. It is when he took part in drills and was actually cutting and shifting that he felt pain and stopped practicing. I don't really think anyone knows how serious this really is until he gets back to cutting.
sorry- quick hijack.i am on the clock and somehow cannot find the link for Strength of schedule.Can anyone quickly point me to that on FBG site.sorry for hijack

while everyone is focusing on the knee, the real issue is the shoulder, and nobody knows how that will hold up against a shot from a 250LB linebacker..a hard hitting RB with a surgically repaired shoulder is worrisome...Portis doesn't know how to avoid contact from an opposing defender, instead, he just tries to run into people and bull them over, ala Brandon Jacobs or Jerome Bettis..

what if a 300-lb lineman falls on him, and catches that shoulder awkwardly..it could be something as harmless as that, a tackle from a big guy, that plants his shoulder in the wrong place, and it gets re-injured.

the knee is just icing on the cake on why I wouldn't think twice about passing over Portis in a draft. Betts is the real value pick

in Washington.

the fact that we're already well into preseason and the dude has been unable to practice, tells me all I need to know about the Redskins RB situation.

False. He's been mentioned as being injured to some extent, all offseason. This has nothing at all to do with himparticipating in drills.

while everyone is focusing on the knee, the real issue is the shoulder, and nobody knows how that will hold up against a shot from a 250LB linebacker..a hard hitting RB with a surgically repaired shoulder is worrisome...Portis doesn't know how to avoid contact from an opposing defender, instead, he just tries to run into people and bull them over, ala Brandon Jacobs or Jerome Bettis..

what if a 300-lb lineman falls on him, and catches that shoulder awkwardly..it could be something as harmless as that, a tackle from a big guy, that plants his shoulder in the wrong place, and it gets re-injured.

the knee is just icing on the cake on why I wouldn't think twice about passing over Portis in a draft. Betts is the real value pick

in Washington.

the fact that we're already well into preseason and the dude has been unable to practice, tells me all I need to know about the Redskins RB situation.
:lmao:

in Washington.

:lmao:
Gotta hand it to him, at least he's consistent.

in Washington.

Sure we do. It held up just fine for half of the season until he went on IR with a HAND injury. btw-What if a 300 pound lineman falls on LT and he gets injured? FOotball is a violent game and its rare for players who touch the ball as much as a starting running back does to stay healthy all season.

That said, there's not much to like about the Skins O this year. Line is in tatters and there is no wr threat outside of Moss.

That, and not injury concerns, should be what makes you drop him down a few spots.

in Washington.

Sure we do. It held up just fine for half of the season until he went on IR with a HAND injury. btw-What if a 300 pound lineman falls on LT and he gets injured? FOotball is a violent game and its rare for players who touch the ball as much as a starting running back does to stay healthy all season.

That said, there's not much to like about the Skins O this year. Line is in tatters and there is no wr threat outside of Moss.

That, and not injury concerns, should be what makes you drop him down a few spots.
I would take Moss and Cooley over Kennison and Gonzo, which is what Saunders was working with in KC. For me, the two biggest issues the 'Skins offense is facing are, in order, the injuries to the left side of the line and whether Campbell can take the next set of steps to become the franchise QB they hope he can. I really am not all that concerned about Portis.

in Washington.

What is that?? That you really don't have any clue as to what you are talking about???

in Washington.

I would take Moss and Cooley over Kennison and Gonzo, which is what Saunders was working with in KC. For me, the two biggest issues the 'Skins offense is facing are, in order, the injuries to the left side of the line and whether Campbell can take the next set of steps to become the franchise QB they hope he can. I really am not all that concerned about Portis.
True but KC's offensive TEAM was much better than anything I've seen in DC recently(as good as the skins line might be, KC's was one of the best(if not THE best). I like Campbell but my expectation for him are extremely low this year. He's still very raw. Portis is an absolute STUD and will need to stay on the field all year in order for Campbell to have success. I think he can(and I'm not at all worried, from a FF standpoint, that Betts will be "stealing carries". Betts is a backup and will see far less action than people think. I heard Saunders and Gibbs both say that when they were looking at the film on Betts from last year the thinking was that Portis would have turned many of those runs into Td's. The holes were HUGE. Betts is not the playmaker that Portis is and there's no way he's going to be seeing all that much action if Portis stays healthy.

in Washington.

True but KC's offensive TEAM was much better than anything I've seen in DC recently(as good as the skins line might be, KC's was one of the best(if not THE best). I like Campbell but my expectation for him are extremely low this year. He's still very raw. Portis is an absolute STUD and will need to stay on the field all year in order for Campbell to have success. I think he can(and I'm not at all worried, from a FF standpoint, that Betts will be "stealing carries". Betts is a backup and will see far less action than people think. I heard Saunders and Gibbs both say that when they were looking at the film on Betts from last year the thinking was that Portis would have turned many of those runs into Td's. The holes were HUGE. Betts is not the playmaker that Portis is and there's no way he's going to be seeing all that much action if Portis stays healthy.
I don't disagree with anything you said. My point was, however, that having a WR and a TE who are playmakers is enough to run an explosive offense. Until Reggie Wayne emerged the Colts were doing it with one. My fervent hope for Portis is that they keep him under 300 carries, which should mean that Betts can have 200+ carries. I think that's optimal.

in Washington.

I don't disagree with anything you said. My point was, however, that having a WR and a TE who are playmakers is enough to run an explosive offense. Until Reggie Wayne emerged the Colts were doing it with one. My fervent hope for Portis is that they keep him under 300 carries, which should mean that Betts can have 200+ carries. I think that's optimal.
I hear you and I would agree but I think that because of the way this team is put together(young qb, concerns on the left side of line), they need another wr to emerge. He doesn't have to be Reggie Wayne. He only needs to be a guy to take some of the pressure off Moss. Skins don't make big plays and that's why their O has been stinking up the joint. If all teams have to worry about is Moss(who doesn't do much but go deep) and Cooley, the SKins aren't going anywhere.

I think Portis needs those 300 plus carries in order for the SKins to have a good season. He also needs to be more involved in the passing game. Betts is simply not a playmaker. If he gets 200 carries I hope the bulk of them come in the 4th quarter when the skins are leading. I think we may end up seeing both on the field at times. I don't think that we'll see a situation like they have in Dallas. Down there, neither of those guys is that much better than the other. Here, Portis is clearly the better back. Not even all that close.

I think the Redskins have a very good #2 WR. His name is Cooley. :lol:
Exactly. The best receiver after Moss is their tight end(who, according to an interview I heard him give yesterday, will be blocking more this year).
Funny, i heard a completely different quote, on redskins.com that Cooley was going to be utilized a lot more in the passing game, like Gonzo was in KC. This was straight from Saunders mouth...

True but KC's offensive TEAM was much better than anything I've seen in DC recently(as good as the skins line might be, KC's was one of the best(if not THE best).

I like Campbell but my expectation for him are extremely low this year. He's still very raw. Portis is an absolute STUD and will need to stay on the field all year in order for Campbell to have success. I think he can(and I'm not at all worried, from a FF standpoint, that Betts will be "stealing carries". Betts is a backup and will see far less action than people think. I heard Saunders and Gibbs both say that when they were looking at the film on Betts from last year the thinking was that Portis would have turned many of those runs into Td's. The holes were HUGE. Betts is not the playmaker that Portis is and there's no way he's going to be seeing all that much action if Portis stays healthy.
I have not heard this but if this is actually what Gibbs and Saunders said than we could be in for a big year out of CP... Although I'd find it hard to believe that Gibbs and Saunders would publicly criticize Betts like that though.

True but KC's offensive TEAM was much better than anything I've seen in DC recently(as good as the skins line might be, KC's was one of the best(if not THE best).

I like Campbell but my expectation for him are extremely low this year. He's still very raw. Portis is an absolute STUD and will need to stay on the field all year in order for Campbell to have success. I think he can(and I'm not at all worried, from a FF standpoint, that Betts will be "stealing carries". Betts is a backup and will see far less action than people think. I heard Saunders and Gibbs both say that when they were looking at the film on Betts from last year the thinking was that Portis would have turned many of those runs into Td's. The holes were HUGE. Betts is not the playmaker that Portis is and there's no way he's going to be seeing all that much action if Portis stays healthy.
I have not heard this but if this is actually what Gibbs and Saunders said than we could be in for a big year out of CP... Although I'd find it hard to believe that Gibbs and Saunders would publicly criticize Betts like that though.
I've heard the same thing, but don't find it to be critisim. Just that Portis is the better back.

I've heard the same thing, but don't find it to be critisim. Just that Portis is the better back.
:confused: I was a little surprised to hear them say that that explicitly, but they'd already locked up Betts (who's not at all prone to be a malcontent anyway) to a contract extension and IIRC they were trying to dispel rumors about trading Portis away.

For what it's worth this is what the skins beat writer said in his Redskins chat today:

Spoke to him at length yesterday and he still can't do anything but run in a straight line.

The guy hasn't practiced in three weeks and I don't think he'll be 100 percent for the opener. But that's just me.

I've been saying for months that I think Betts will end up having a very big role and that Portis's best season's may be in the past due to all the carries he had from 2004-2005, his frame, how physical he plays and the mounting injuries.

He's as a tough as they come so he could easily prove me wrong, but that's just my gut for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Skins beat writer have any credibility?

Just wondering...the "beat writers" in Tampa have ZERO credibility...

gump said:
Does the Skins beat writer have any credibility?Just wondering...the "beat writers" in Tampa have ZERO credibility...
I think so. La Canfora is pretty much straight shooter. He was careful to note that was his opinion but I have feeling you will not be seeing CP in any preseason games. He's been on the beat for a couple of years after a few years on hockey. The skins writers in the post are generally quite careful in what they say, not a lot of shoot from the hip stuff.

Not sure if it's a matter of "credibility". These guys are out there at practice every day watching and talking to the players and coaches. For the most part, they have been fairly accurate ever since I've been following the team. Doesn't much matter who the reporter is.

My gut feeling on Portis is that he doesn't want to be playing right now. I base this on everything he's said about preseason for the past year(since he got hurt). I think that Gibbs is allowing his star running back a bit of latitude. That's not to say that he doesn't have issues with the kneee. I think he does. But I also heard him remark that it was no big deal and that if it this was the regular season he'd be out there. We'll see.

As for Betts, I didn't take anything the coaches said as a criticism. More of a statement of fact. They know how fast Portis is and they could see that the line had really come together those last 6-7 games. The holes were there for a speed guy like Portis to take it to the house. I believe when they made those remarks it was in response to questions about a running back controversy given how well Betts performed down the stretch.

thayman said:
Righetti said:
Skinsfansince72 said:

Compared to Betts, Portis is Steve Austin. Better, stronger. faster.

redman said:
Is he value? In a word, yes.
people getting Portis end of 2nd or lower will be getting the steal of the year.....
....and gob bless them/or/ God help them, I aint touching the guy. I fear he will be a useless roster spot this year and, I truley think his career as a viable starting RB is over. Thats just my stupid opinion.

redman said:
Is he value? In a word, yes.
people getting Portis end of 2nd or lower will be getting the steal of the year.....
....and gob bless them/or/ God help them, I aint touching the guy. I fear he will be a useless roster spot this year and, I truley think his career as a viable starting RB is over. Thats just my stupid opinion.
Tendonitis is not a career-threatening injury.

Locked up Portis at 3.06 and Betts at 9.06 in the FIX best ball league...all FBG writers and posters. I was happy.
Nobody cares.
Sure they do. I think I got pretty good value. What was slipped into your Rice Krispies this morning brother, maybe head back to bed for awhile and start the day over, yes?
Good morning!So you really think people want to read about where you got somebody, and where you got their backup...and what league it was in, and who it was against? Is that the thread topic? I didn't think so.Get over yourself.

False. He's been mentioned as being injured to some extent, all offseason. This has nothing at all to do with himparticipating in drills.
Actually not false, he was conditioning, running, stationary bike back in May/June and reportedly felt great. I didn't mean the guy was 100% in March. Just saying he's been running for a couple months now, supposedly pain free. Same thing heading into camp, said he felt "like the old CP", until he started cutting, then he was put on the shelf and hasn't practiced since. Now he's back to conditioning and says he feels ok, but that doesn't say anything until he gets back out there into live action and cuts and changes direction.

Locked up Portis at 3.06 and Betts at 9.06 in the FIX best ball league...all FBG writers and posters. I was happy.
Nobody cares.
Sure they do. I think I got pretty good value. What was slipped into your Rice Krispies this morning brother, maybe head back to bed for awhile and start the day over, yes?
Good morning!So you really think people want to read about where you got somebody, and where you got their backup...and what league it was in, and who it was against? Is that the thread topic? I didn't think so.Get over yourself.
:shrug:

I just drafted Portis as my 3rd RB in a keeper league (also have Gore and Parker). Anything that he gets me will be gravy, but I am looking for a rebound. I think a lot of the talk about his knee is just that....talk. They are taking it easy with him so they do not lose him during preseason. I look at this as a positive because , if true, they will be looking for Portis to carry the load.

Nobody cares.
:)

Nobody cares.
:excited: :coffee:

Oh...I will worry! If he drops to the 3rd round he may be worth the risk for someone who took Manning or a receiver, but you can bet you ### that I would be sweatin' until I handcuffed him to betts.

If you're counting on CP as your RB#2, you better have Betts as well. HUGE gamble without Betts. Now if you can nab CP as your RB#3, it's nothing but upside. So I hope all this CP negativity continues and he keeps on dropping....

He won't be available as a RB#3 in most 10+ team leagues, but if you're in an 8-teamer, a keeper league and already have your RB#1 sewn up, or an auction league or both (as I am), you've got an outside shot at picking up CP as your RB#3 (with or without Betts) - for perhaps for only a few more bucks than Ahman, TJ, Jacobs, etc. Tremendous upside...

Nobody cares.
:wall: :rolleyes:
:eek:

imo, it looks more like Portis / the Skins don't want him participating much in training camp. they know what they have in the guy... and they know he gets dinged. why not let him come in to the regular season with fresh legs and a fresh body?

Nobody cares.
I grabbed Portis at 6.07 in an 8-team live draft last weekend. Mostly guppies for what it's worth. I found it interesting that even though everyone had snapped up 2 RBs, and some teams were grabbing a 3rd, nobody wanted to touch Portis with a 10 foot pole.Ronnie Brown seems like another RB2 candidate with falling stock. The word is out that Miami's offense is going to be bottom 10 bad this year. Like Dodd says in his article there is alot of value at RB2 this season, and if one of the elite 11 RBs isn't on the board grab your stud WR and guys like Portis, Edge, Brown will be hanging around in rounds 3-5.

Users who are viewing this thread