What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C. Portis knee problems (1 Viewer)

Locked up Portis at 3.06 and Betts at 9.06 in the FIX best ball league...all FBG writers and posters. I was happy.
Nobody cares.
Sure they do. I think I got pretty good value. What was slipped into your Rice Krispies this morning brother, maybe head back to bed for awhile and start the day over, yes?
Good morning!So you really think people want to read about where you got somebody, and where you got their backup...and what league it was in, and who it was against? Is that the thread topic? I didn't think so.

Get over yourself.
I do. :ptts:

Portis will be fine. Reading between the lines, it seems clear that Gibbs has given Portis permission to miss the pre-season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7081801153.html

Coach Joe Gibbs continues to assert that had this been a regular season game, Portis would have been in the lineup, and that the tendinitis in his right knee is not severe. Gibbs and team doctors have supported a schedule of rest and rehab in an effort to limit stress on the knee as long as possible.

Clinton Portis probably would have played if it were the regular season. "If I'm healthy for the next game or the following one, and they put me in, then they put me in," Portis said.

There is no timetable for when Portis will return to practice, and he continues to catch and run light drills, but only going straight ahead, with no cutting or turning.

"If I'm healthy for the next game or the following one, and they put me in, then they put me in," Portis said after the conclusion of this past week's practices. "I feel like I know myself out here, and I'm trying to keep my conditioning up, and it's all on them, man. I've been playing football for 12 years now, and ain't much changed.

"You're either tough or you're not. You either can take it or you can't. I done been hit before, and I know how it feels. It ain't going to be no shock. It ain't going to be no excitement. It ain't going to be no blast. It ain't like I don't know how to get. I know how to get. You just try not to get hit."

Portis has appeared jovial throughout camp and said his injury has not dampened his spirits. On the contrary, he's excited for the regular season to begin and the drudgery of August to subside.

"It's not actually getting me down," Portis said. "I'm actually getting really excited the closer I get to the regular season, because I'm starting to feel better. Actually, I'm getting excited."

Portis will be fine. Reading between the lines, it seems clear that Gibbs has given Portis permission to miss the pre-season.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7081801153.html

Coach Joe Gibbs continues to assert that had this been a regular season game, Portis would have been in the lineup, and that the tendinitis in his right knee is not severe. Gibbs and team doctors have supported a schedule of rest and rehab in an effort to limit stress on the knee as long as possible.

Clinton Portis probably would have played if it were the regular season. "If I'm healthy for the next game or the following one, and they put me in, then they put me in," Portis said.

There is no timetable for when Portis will return to practice, and he continues to catch and run light drills, but only going straight ahead, with no cutting or turning.

"If I'm healthy for the next game or the following one, and they put me in, then they put me in," Portis said after the conclusion of this past week's practices. "I feel like I know myself out here, and I'm trying to keep my conditioning up, and it's all on them, man. I've been playing football for 12 years now, and ain't much changed.

"You're either tough or you're not. You either can take it or you can't. I done been hit before, and I know how it feels. It ain't going to be no shock. It ain't going to be no excitement. It ain't going to be no blast. It ain't like I don't know how to get. I know how to get. You just try not to get hit."

Portis has appeared jovial throughout camp and said his injury has not dampened his spirits. On the contrary, he's excited for the regular season to begin and the drudgery of August to subside.

"It's not actually getting me down," Portis said. "I'm actually getting really excited the closer I get to the regular season, because I'm starting to feel better. Actually, I'm getting excited."
I was reading that this morning and as a skins fan, I really hope that all of that is true, but I'm not buying into the "he's fine" talk until I see him out there cutting and actually playing instead of jogging around.

Skipping the preseason isn't a big deal. Missing a large number of practices is. I'm a huge Portis fan but there's no way I'm touching him in my draft unless the value is way too good to pass up. Just too much risk given the uncertainty of his situation.

This Portis situation is making my head hurt. As a Betts owner, I don't know if I should sell to the Portis owner now or wait...I can't seem to get anywhere with this thread.

I'm surprised this Portis situation is creating so much concern. The guy has only been quoted a couple dozen times saying he hates pre-season and arguing that veterans shouldn't need to play in these games. Here was his reaction after the shoulder injury last year:

But the story here concerning the Redskins wasn't the way the team played or how Jason Campbell looked; it was the Portis injury. When I asked him what he thought about the number of preseason games and chances to be hurt, Portis looked into a bank of cameras and said, "Let's get rid of some of these games -- four games is ridiculous -- then you go out and have a 16-game season and the playoffs are after that."It was after his first carry of the night, an eight-yard run, when Portis said he started thinking, "Get me out of the game." He wasn't faulting his coach for playing him. He was simply stating what an increasing number of veteran players are acknowledging -- that preseason football from a players' point of view is stupid and very risky, unnecessarily so. And it's time somebody did something about it.

I think Portis is the SOTD for where he is going right now. Has he slid so far that Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis are my decisions for a RB#2 at the end of the 2nd round? Seriously?

Tomlinson must be hurt as well because we are not seeing anything out of him this preseason either.

I think Portis is the SOTD for where he is going right now. Has he slid so far that Edgerrin James and Clinton Portis are my decisions for a RB#2 at the end of the 2nd round? Seriously?Tomlinson must be hurt as well because we are not seeing anything out of him this preseason either.
But LT2 has been participating fully in practices, no? Isn't that the difference?FWIW, I think that Portis is the mayor of Valuetown right now. In terms of high value picks, no one currently has more upside than CP. 10 team league draft I did yesterday (alot of guppies), he was the 23rd rb taken off the board. I echo the above poster's sentiments who mentioned Edge. I would take Portis over Edge, TJ, and several other rb's. The biggest downside to CP, and it is significant, is that you're likely going to have to spend a 6th/7th round pick in most leagues to secure Betts.

imo, it looks more like Portis / the Skins don't want him participating much in training camp. they know what they have in the guy... and they know he gets dinged. why not let him come in to the regular season with fresh legs and a fresh body?
Exactly.It wouldn't surprise me if he's the comeback player of the year at the end of the season. Why would the Skins risk anything? He's by far their best offensive skill player.

But LT2 has been participating fully in practices, no? Isn't that the difference?
Context is everything. If LT got seriously injured last preseason, complained about the fact he was playing in preseason, and then practiced and played fully this season, maybe its something to compare. Even then its a stretch and not worth the time IMHO. Every individual/team approaches such issues differently. By all appearances, the Redskins aren't exactly pressuring Portis to play.

Hope the optimists in this thread are right. I took him in the 5th round of a 10-team league over the weekend as my main candidate for RB2. Couldn't pass him up in round 5.

Hope the optimists in this thread are right. I took him in the 5th round of a 10-team league over the weekend as my main candidate for RB2. Couldn't pass him up in round 5.
I cannot believe Portis falls to pick 50-59.. unbelievable.people must be VERY scared?where did Betts go?

I cannot believe Portis falls to pick 50-59.. unbelievable.people must be VERY scared?where did Betts go?
my math is bad, but wouldn't round 5 (10-team league) be picks 41-50?
1-10 round111-20 round 221-30 round 331-40 round 441-50 round 5ding ding ding we have a winnerit's the difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers :goodposting:

Last year there were a lot of people VERY high on clinton portis. One year later and he is a 2nd to 3rd round pick. He is very under valued this year and people will be glad he is on there team at seasons end.

I would like to see how the Skins plan on using both Portis and Betts.

If Portis is healthy will he garner most of the carries? Or will Betts steal a couple series from him? Is a healthy Portis going to get enough carries to be worth a second round pick in a 12 team league?

From MFL.com's draft tracker:

Code:
Displaying Top 60 Any Position Selected In At Least 5% Of Non-Keeper Drafts That Started After Aug 15, 2007# Player Avg. Pick Min. Pick Max. Pick # Drafts Selected In 1. Tomlinson, Ladainian SDC RB 1.50 1 36 224 2. Jackson, Steven STL RB 2.50 1 22 212 3. Johnson, Larry KCC RB 4.39 1 23 223 4. Gore, Frank SFO RB 6.56 1 242 221 5. Alexander, Shaun SEA RB 6.90 1 45 227 6. Addai, Joseph IND RB 7.72 1 246 224 7. Manning, Peyton IND QB 8.01 1 31 218 8. Westbrook, Brian PHI RB 9.75 1 247 228 9. Bush, Reggie NOS RB 10.13 1 60 228 10. Parker, Willie PIT RB 10.34 1 104 232 11. Johnson, Rudi CIN RB 11.90 1 58 229 12. Maroney, Laurence NEP RB 14.68 1 243 226 13. Henry, Travis DEN RB 15.00 1 90 223 14. McGahee, Willis BAL RB 16.07 2 89 231 15. Smith, Steve CAR WR 18.33 3 51 225 16. Johnson, Chad CIN WR 18.94 1 52 227 17. Brown, Ronnie MIA RB 20.12 3 55 229 18. Harrison, Marvin IND WR 21.16 6 53 224 19. Palmer, Carson CIN QB 21.19 1 60 220 20. Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB 21.61 2 248 230 21. Brees, Drew NOS QB 24.36 1 101 232 22. Brady, Tom NEP QB 24.44 2 69 223 23. Holt, Torry STL WR 24.59 3 54 228 24. Owens, Terrell DAL WR 25.42 3 56 231 25. James, Edgerrin ARI RB 25.48 4 90 234 26. Benson, Cedric CHI RB 25.98 2 95 236 27. Wayne, Reggie IND WR 27.50 12 55 228 28. Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR 30.63 2 61 232 29. Portis, Clinton WAS RB 30.91 2 96 233 30. Bulger, Marc STL QB 31.73 1 85 230 31. Gates, Antonio SDC TE 33.35 6 58 228 32. Williams, Roy DET WR 33.62 1 245 236 33. Jones, Thomas NYJ RB 35.71 6 106 232 34. McNabb, Donovan PHI QB 36.93 5 99 227 35. Houshmandzadeh, T.J. CIN WR 36.97 9 70 231 36. Colston, Marques NOS WR 37.83 4 103 226 37. Walker, Javon DEN WR 39.08 7 68 236 38. Boldin, Anquan ARI WR 39.32 7 69 232 39. Lynch, Marshawn BUF RB 40.98 2 153 235 40. Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB 41.12 6 114 232 41. Moss, Randy NEP WR 41.22 13 74 233 42. Evans, Lee BUF WR 42.51 1 128 231 43. Driver, Donald GBP WR 43.89 10 100 229 44. McAllister, Deuce NOS RB 43.91 2 138 237 45. Johnson, Andre HOU WR 45.33 10 139 229 46. Peterson, Adrian MIN RB 45.51 1 119 234 47. Williams, Carnell TBB RB 47.10 7 108 227 48. Burress, Plaxico NYG WR 50.09 6 116 227 49. Barber, Marion DAL RB 52.36 9 133 228 50. Ward, Hines PIT WR 54.35 23 102 223 51. Johnson, Calvin DET WR 54.94 3 137 230 52. Bears, Chicago CHI Def 55.22 4 116 195 53. Romo, Tony DAL QB 56.11 7 129 222 54. Gonzalez, Tony KCC TE 57.00 16 132 220 55. Young, Vince TEN QB 58.35 6 136 211 56. Branch, Deion SEA WR 59.27 15 135 231 57. Rivers, Philip SDC QB 59.39 10 122 220 58. Kitna, Jon DET QB 59.74 14 153 224 59. Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def 59.84 6 119 196 60. Green, Ahman HOU RB 60.48 4 182 225

Last edited by a moderator:
my math is bad, but wouldn't round 5 (10-team league) be picks 41-50?
:rolleyes:Portis falling to picks 41-50 is still shocking

He also went in rd 5 (10 team) in myl eague Saturday and I missed him by one pick
Well Shame on you for not taking him with your fourth round pick. What are you thinking? What is your league thinking? He is a steal in round 3. Take him if he falls!

He went at 2.08 in my ten team local league on the 11th, and I couldn't believe he went there! I grabbed Betts in the 8th, better value IMO.

i got portis in round 9 of my super high stakes money league yesterday... all former WCOFF champions and pro gamblers.
Portis is on my waiver wire in a league with the 11 richest people in the world. we're playing for yachts. should i grab him?

Locked up Portis at 3.06 and Betts at 9.06 in the FIX best ball league...all FBG writers and posters. I was happy.
Nobody cares.
Sure they do. I think I got pretty good value. What was slipped into your Rice Krispies this morning brother, maybe head back to bed for awhile and start the day over, yes?
Good morning!So you really think people want to read about where you got somebody, and where you got their backup...and what league it was in, and who it was against? Is that the thread topic? I didn't think so.Get over yourself.
Post of the Year, lay the smack down.

If CP doesn't play this weekend vs N.Y. G-men then we worry no matter what right? Surely he'd play a little even if they were just being cautious this whole time; :lol:

If CP doesn't play this weekend vs N.Y. G-men then we worry no matter what right? Surely he'd play a little even if they were just being cautious this whole time; :unsure:
I will be shocked if he plays at all in the preseason. I'm not worried either way.
LT didn't play last year in preseason. He isn't playing this year either. Portis sees preseason as a waste of time, in which the only thing that happens is potential injury. He won't play this weekend.

If CP doesn't play this weekend vs N.Y. G-men then we worry no matter what right? Surely he'd play a little even if they were just being cautious this whole time; :thumbup:
I will be shocked if he plays at all in the preseason. I'm not worried either way.
LT didn't play last year in preseason. He isn't playing this year either. Portis sees preseason as a waste of time, in which the only thing that happens is potential injury. He won't play this weekend.
Yeah, looked what happened last hear, seperated shoulder....I think he will be fine this year

If CP doesn't play this weekend vs N.Y. G-men then we worry no matter what right? Surely he'd play a little even if they were just being cautious this whole time; :lmao:
Yeah, but LT at least is wearing pads and practicing with the offense, making cuts and so forth. Portis is running/conditioning. Not taking hits or wearing pads as far as I know. There are some major difference's. I'd feel better if Portis was at least practicing at full speed with his team like LT.

If CP doesn't play this weekend vs N.Y. G-men then we worry no matter what right? Surely he'd play a little even if they were just being cautious this whole time; :thumbup:
Yeah, but LT at least is wearing pads and practicing with the offense, making cuts and so forth. Portis is running/conditioning. Not taking hits or wearing pads as far as I know. There are some major difference's. I'd feel better if Portis was at least practicing at full speed with his team like LT.
Um, yeah, I get the difference. The point is that we can't read ANYTHING into Portis missing more preseason games - and that ALONE isn't a negative. The negative is any report suggesting that Portis has tendenitis and can't cut - or that his knee is flaring up - or that he's just riding a stationary bike. Portis will not play in preseason. If you need to see him in pads before you'll draft him, be prepared to miss out on some upside.

I took him at the start of the 5th in a 10 teamer as well, but it was right after they said he was going to meet with Dr. Andrews while in Nashville.I understood the concern then and picked him as my 4th RB at the time (behind Alexander, Benson, Norwood...)The more good news I hear...the more I feel damn happy everyone was so worried about his knee.

Users who are viewing this thread