What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis knee tendinitis acting up again (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
The knee tendinitis in Clinton Portis' knee has resurfaced.The Redskins say the injury is minor, but tendinitis forced Portis to miss all of training camp, so it's a major concern. Portis didn't work as the Redskins broke for post-bye week practice Monday. If Portis is to miss Sunday's Week 5 game against the Lions, Ladell Betts will be a must start.

The knee tendinitis in Clinton Portis' knee has resurfaced.The Redskins say the injury is minor, but tendinitis forced Portis to miss all of training camp, so it's a major concern. Portis didn't work as the Redskins broke for post-bye week practice Monday. If Portis is to miss Sunday's Week 5 game against the Lions, Ladell Betts will be a must start.
Must of acted up during the bye week...they are very physical.

The Portis crowd is one of the strangest I've seen. Almost as die hard as the LJ haters.

I hope this isn't serious since I'm an owner, but to not take this morsel of news and try to aquire Betts on the cheap is foolish.

:excited:

Portis doesn't want to practice early in the week.

I'm not saying the tendinitis is a made up injury, but it is a perfect excuse for the Skins to give the media as for why he's not practicing early in the week. What are they supposed to say...Portis isn't practicing today because he doesn't want to.

Prediction: He'll sit out of practice until mid-late in the week. He'll do this all season even if he's completely healthy.

Hey there, here's what will probably end up being the top few paragraphs on tomorrow's story. The tendinitis is back in Portis's knee and though they believe it is minor this is the kind of thing you had to fear coming into the year; in a contact sport like this it's hard to get deep into the season without aggravating the problem:

The Redskins returned to practice after the bye week without offensive stars Clinton Portis (knee) and Santana Moss (groin), and continued their quest for more depth and production at the troublesome wide receiver position yesterday, signing veteran Keenan McCardell. Moss said he could miss Sunday's game but hopes to play, while Portis suffered a recurrence of the tendinitis in his right knee that sidelined him almost all of the offseason and preseason.

Gibbs said he does not "anticipate" being without Moss, and hopes to have Portis as well. The tailback aggravated the problem in Week 3 and even after receiving treatment and resting last week was held out of practice yesterday. "We'll just kind of see how that goes," Coach Joe Gibbs said. "That thing probably got a little bit sore from the game."
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...ml?nav=rss_blog

got it from rotoworld.
They said Maroney was starting :thumbdown: The are dead to me. Move along nothing to see.
don't judge things you're not clear about. Sal Pal reported Maroney was gon play, so they reported it. Soon as MNCountdown reported Maroney is OUT, they changed the news.
No, Im clear about it.
lol how are you clear about it when you were wrong with this Maroney situation

Portis doesn't want to practice early in the week.I'm not saying the tendinitis is a made up injury, but it is a perfect excuse for the Skins to give the media as for why he's not practicing early in the week. What are they supposed to say...Portis isn't practicing today because he doesn't want to.Prediction: He'll sit out of practice until mid-late in the week. He'll do this all season even if he's completely healthy.
This is pretty acurate. He hates pre-season and doesn't like the long practice weeks. I'm not even slightly nervous about him.

thayman said:
moderated said:
Portis doesn't want to practice early in the week.I'm not saying the tendinitis is a made up injury, but it is a perfect excuse for the Skins to give the media as for why he's not practicing early in the week. What are they supposed to say...Portis isn't practicing today because he doesn't want to.Prediction: He'll sit out of practice until mid-late in the week. He'll do this all season even if he's completely healthy.
This is pretty acurate. He hates pre-season and doesn't like the long practice weeks. I'm not even slightly nervous about him.
PRACTICE! We talkin bout PRACTICE!?!? PRACTICE?Portis and AI must be friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, WHO HAS HAD KNEE TENDINITIS?

If you haven't had it, do you KNOW about it? This is a condition that, in its current state re: Portis, causes pain, discomfort, some possible minor inflamation. But this is something you CAN work through... it "acts up" somewhat like a tight back, but in an area where it limits you far less than say an irratated back would.

As stated, this is minor at this point. Furthermore, tendinitis is not something that would likely sideline Portis from playing in a game though it would reduce his practice time.

Basically, the guy has tendnitis. The only way to fix that ill is to not run. For like, well, the year. So he is going to play, and he WILL irritate this injury and you WILL hear about it - but he will play. This is nothing like what Westbrook has or others where the injury threatens playing time significantly.

ETA - I did have knee tendinits toward the end of high school and in my first year of college. It hurt, but I could definately play through it. Mind you, I was NOT on an NFL regimen (DIII Football). Now, it was one of the deciding factors in me hanging it up, because I can tell you the constant discomfort/pain was bothersome... but I was a DIII player wanting to take bong hits, not an NFL stud looking to remind people of how good a player he is in the NFL.

Trey said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Trey said:
So 125 and 2 sounds good for this Sunday right?
For Portis, or Betts?
Portis.Betts probably good for the usual 5 for 17?
Huh? :kicksrock: Let's see, from week 10 on when Betts took over full time he was 183/871/3 (4.7per carry) and 27/222/1 (8.22 per catch)--Extrapolated out over a 16 games season that is 366/1742/6 and 54/444/2 rec. for a total of 2186 yards with 8 tds---I see what you mean, that really sucks.............

Trey said:
Ketamine Dreams said:
Trey said:
So 125 and 2 sounds good for this Sunday right?
For Portis, or Betts?
Portis.Betts probably good for the usual 5 for 17?
Huh? :kicksrock: Let's see, from week 10 on when Betts took over full time he was 183/871/3 (4.7per carry) and 27/222/1 (8.22 per catch)--Extrapolated out over a 16 games season that is 366/1742/6 and 54/444/2 rec. for a total of 2186 yards with 8 tds---I see what you mean, that really sucks.............
Have you seen Betts this year? He's been pretty bad. Other than a couple pass receptions, I havent seen much of anything. His running has been downright atrocious at times. 2.7 ypc will do that to ya I suppose.

If you haven't had it, do you KNOW about it? This is a condition that, in its current state re: Portis, causes pain, discomfort, some possible minor inflamation. But this is something you CAN work through... it "acts up" somewhat like a tight back, but in an area where it limits you far less than say an irratated back would.

As stated, this is minor at this point. Furthermore, tendinitis is not something that would likely sideline Portis from playing in a game though it would reduce his practice time.

Basically, the guy has tendnitis. The only way to fix that ill is to not run. For like, well, the year. So he is going to play, and he WILL irritate this injury and you WILL hear about it - but he will play. This is nothing like what Westbrook has or others where the injury threatens playing time significantly.

ETA - I did have knee tendinits toward the end of high school and in my first year of college. It hurt, but I could definately play through it. Mind you, I was NOT on an NFL regimen (DIII Football). Now, it was one of the deciding factors in me hanging it up, because I can tell you the constant discomfort/pain was bothersome... but I was a DIII player wanting to take bong hits, not an NFL stud looking to remind people of how good a player he is in the NFL.
:) The "I, Armchair Quarterback, had tendonitis once..." schtick is hilarious.

When the tendon is inflamed, doctors add the ending "itis" and thus, we call this tendonitis. In some cases, the tendon actually tears in half and this is called a tendon rupture. If you can not straighten your knee because of pain over your tendons, seek medical treatment immediately.
LINKWhile it may not be critical at this point, it's still relevant.

:lmao: The "I, Armchair Quarterback, had tendonitis once..." schtick is hilarious.

When the tendon is inflamed, doctors add the ending "itis" and thus, we call this tendonitis. In some cases, the tendon actually tears in half and this is called a tendon rupture. If you can not straighten your knee because of pain over your tendons, seek medical treatment immediately.
I never claimed it is not relevant. It is relevant. But right now it is a condition worth monitoring. Yes, if a tendon TEARS you have SERIOUS issues. When you have a case of tendinitis, that is considered a minor injury, you are not there yet. But people on these boards love hyperbole - or maybe want to drive a players value down for their league - and the panic wagon begins. Here you are making the jump from inflamed to tears - and call me shtick? Seriously. That analogy would be comparable to saying "a knee strain is when the knee gets (some medical terminology for slighty hurt). In SOME cases a knee's ligaments actually tears apart and it is called an MCL, ACL... blah blah"So, enjoy the hiliarity of my shtick, but sadly I am the one being most on the level here. Tendinitis is to be watched, but he HAD TENDINITIS TWO WEEKS AGO. It isnt going to go away by playing football.

:lmao: The "I, Armchair Quarterback, had tendonitis once..." schtick is hilarious.

It's nice to hear from someone who has had the condition. All he is saying is that he had the condition, and could play though it, with less resources than I'm sure the Redskins have in regards to Portis. Knowing that Capella could play organized football in a DIII school tells me that although it is a situation to monior, Portis should be able to play through it.

:sadbanana: The "I, Armchair Quarterback, had tendonitis once..." schtick is hilarious.

It's nice to hear from someone who has had the condition. All he is saying is that he had the condition, and could play though it, with less resources than I'm sure the Redskins have in regards to Portis. Knowing that Capella could play organized football in a DIII school tells me that although it is a situation to monior, Portis should be able to play through it.
Who is this Capella you mention?

Knees are probably the most important body part to a professional NBA player.

Guys like Jordan and Kobe Bryant have had or had bouts of tendinitis at different times in their careers. If it didn't have a major effect on guys who jump for a living i really don't see tendinitis being a major problem for an NFL RB.

Can anyone name any big time RB's who have missed significant time or had their careers ended due to tendinitis? It isn't a major injury, it is an annoyance that can be played through.

:rolleyes: The "I, Armchair Quarterback, had tendonitis once..." schtick is hilarious.

Who is this Capella you mention?
:D Sorry I always get yours and his avatar mixed up.....I just see a bannana and get mixed up.....and I've been drinking.....my bad......

Can anyone name any big time RB's who have missed significant time or had their careers ended due to tendinitis?
Dorsey Levens.
It isn't a major injury, it is an annoyance that can be played through.
See above.
Reason i said big time RB is that marginal RB's like Levens were never shoe ins to have starting gigs. Levens had 1 solid season, he was more of a journeyman then a shoe in starter even when 100% healthy.Also Levens played until he was 34. His career went from starter to role player more due to lack of talent and age than anything due to tendinitis. As a lifelong Packer fan i know his career quite well, and tendinitis isn't the reason he only had 1-2 years as a starting RB, lack of elite talent was.***Edited to add: Levens was also 30 when he underwent the knee surgery and it was more then just tendinitis. He had an arthritic knee and a lot of built up scar tissue in it.

Can anyone name any big time RB's who have missed significant time or had their careers ended due to tendinitis?
Dorsey Levens.
See above.
Reason i said big time RB is that marginal RB's like Levens were never shoe ins to have starting gigs. Levens had 1 solid season, he was more of a journeyman then a shoe in starter even when 100% healthy.Also Levens played until he was 34. His career went from starter to role player more due to lack of talent than anything due to tendinitis. As a lifelong Packer fan i know his career quite well, and tendinitis isn't the reason he only had 1-2 years as a starting RB, lack of elite talent was.
Not going to get into an argument with you, but tendinitis is indeed what ended Levens career.

Dorsey Levens.
See above.
Reason i said big time RB is that marginal RB's like Levens were never shoe ins to have starting gigs. Levens had 1 solid season, he was more of a journeyman then a shoe in starter even when 100% healthy.Also Levens played until he was 34. His career went from starter to role player more due to lack of talent than anything due to tendinitis. As a lifelong Packer fan i know his career quite well, and tendinitis isn't the reason he only had 1-2 years as a starting RB, lack of elite talent was.
Not going to get into an argument with you, but tendinitis is indeed what ended Levens career.
Not trying to argue, but Levens played as a role player for 4 years after his surgery to remove excess scar tissue and during that surgery it was found he had an arthritic knee as well.His career ended at 34 years of age, one could say it ended due to tendinitis, but when a RB gets to 34 years old age is the main reason he's done more than anything else.

In the two games I've watched Portis, he looks great. I would be surprised to see him miss any time barring something freak. I'm not a Portis owner but holding onto Betts for just this scenario. The tendenitis thing is news but nothing new for anyone remotely involved in Portis.

My only other though, is while the WAS record is 2-1 now a late season plunge could also mean productive time for Betts. But so far he has looked mediocre with limited touches.

In the two games I've watched Portis, he looks great. I would be surprised to see him miss any time barring something freak. I'm not a Portis owner but holding onto Betts for just this scenario. The tendenitis thing is news but nothing new for anyone remotely involved in Portis.

My only other though, is while the WAS record is 2-1 now a late season plunge could also mean productive time for Betts. But so far he has looked mediocre with limited touches.
Why would a late season plunge increase Betts time on the field?? Also the Redskins have division games in weeks 15 and 17.

got it from rotoworld.
They said Maroney was starting :pickle: The are dead to me. Move along nothing to see.
don't judge things you're not clear about. Sal Pal reported Maroney was gon play, so they reported it. Soon as MNCountdown reported Maroney is OUT, they changed the news.
:lmao: Football guys proper has a long way to go before they can even sniff Rotoworlds Jock, if it were not for this forum and much of the STAT Data there would be very little reason to come here. ROTOWORLD and FBG's shark pool should be the mainstays for FFB information.

got it from rotoworld.
They said Maroney was starting :thumbdown: The are dead to me. Move along nothing to see.
:lmao: Football guys proper has a long way to go before they can even sniff Rotoworlds Jock, if it were not for this forum and much of the STAT Data there would be very little reason to come here. ROTOWORLD and FBG's shark pool should be the mainstays for FFB information.
:pickle:

moderated said:
exactly!! This will be the running theme all year, he's fine, start him every week

Update: not a recurrence of tendinitis, but rather a minor G1 sprain suffered early in the Giants game.

Bubba Tyer just came in to clarify Clinton's injury. Yesterday Coach Joe said that Clinton had suffered another bout of tendinitis in his right knee, but that was incorrect. Gibbs was assuming that was the case, according to the club, and misspoke, but Bubba just told us that Clinton actually has a bruise and a sprained right knee (grade 1, the most minor sprain possible), suffered in the first quarter of the Giants game. When asked if that injury would have prevented Portis from making those last carries, Bubba said not specificually, since Clinton had been playing with the soreness all game and was not to his knowledge pulled out of the game because of the knee.

Bubba believes Clinton will play Sunday, but it will be day by day with Portis and Moss. Santana has not yet run since hurting his groin and that injury seems the most iffy of the bunch. Santana has been running in a water tank - not on land - and each day is a feeling out process.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsins...s_update_2.html

Users who are viewing this thread