What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

C. Portis knee problems (1 Viewer)

yeah, i expected him to get about 15-18 touches in week 1. sounds like he might get fewer, depending on his conditioning.
Portis had 12 touches in last year's opener after almost no preseason, less practice than this year, an injury that would have kept him out of games had they mattered, not starting week one, and sitting out week 2 for some more rest. This year, he's played about 5 less preseason downs, practice a little more, has an injury that the coaching staff said he'd play had they been regular season games, and has been named the starter.Is he going to get 30 touches? No. But, I see no problem with predicting 15-18, maybe even a little more.
interesting, thanks for the perspective. i'd love to see him get 15-18 touches....anything additional is gravy.

yeah, i expected him to get about 15-18 touches in week 1. sounds like he might get fewer, depending on his conditioning.
Portis had 12 touches in last year's opener after almost no preseason, less practice than this year, an injury that would have kept him out of games had they mattered, not starting week one, and sitting out week 2 for some more rest. This year, he's played about 5 less preseason downs, practice a little more, has an injury that the coaching staff said he'd play had they been regular season games, and has been named the starter.Is he going to get 30 touches? No. But, I see no problem with predicting 15-18, maybe even a little more.
interesting, thanks for the perspective. i'd love to see him get 15-18 touches....anything additional is gravy.
Seeing as I am going to play it safe and sit Portis the first game, 12-15 would be perfect and then give him a 75% load the next week with 15-18 then 20 or so after that.

Last year the Redskins were so worried about Portis' health, that they traded a third-round pick for TJ Duckett, and then only gave him the ball 38 times even though Portis missed 8 games.

They are not a RBBC team. When Portis is ready to carry the load, he will carry the load. I say that will happen by Week 2 and that Portis will finish the season as a Top 10 RB.

Last year the Redskins were so worried about Portis' health, that they traded a third-round pick for TJ Duckett, and then only gave him the ball 38 times even though Portis missed 8 games.They are not a RBBC team. When Portis is ready to carry the load, he will carry the load. I say that will happen by Week 2 and that Portis will finish the season as a Top 10 RB.
At the beginning of last year, my memory says that Portis was worse off than he was now. News was that Portis was probably not going to play in the week 1 game and even if he did Betts would handle the majority of the load. Portis surprised some by playing, and he surprised almost everyone by scoring double digit points on 10 carries. This year we know he is going to start. Coming out of the mouth of the head coach, not some lineman. It's more likely that Portis has more touches than Betts' week 1, and I personally think there is a decent chance that they will lean on Portis with 20+ carries.I'm starting Portis with confidence.

shadyridr said:
I dont understand. People have been speculating all preseason about Portis' health and Betts' role and we get our first definitive news for 14 pages and nobody seems to care...
Good info shadyridr,Posters in this thread hear only what they want to.Say something negative and it falls on deaf ears.Give a positive post for Portis, The Scientist will give you a :shrug: ...it's guaranteed. :lmao:

CP will go down as one of the biggest fantasy SOD's.

1,800 total/18 TD's, and that's being cautious.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: cautious?! :yawn:

we'll see ...

my $$ says he'll be on IR by week 4. And I'm not even concerned with the knee, as much as I'm concerned with the shoulder..oh, and the hand..

This year we know he is going to start. Coming out of the mouth of the head coach, not some lineman.
Link?
This very thread. Multiple posts with quotes of Gibbs saying Portis will start week 1.
:yawn: in fairness, it's tough to wade through a 15-page thread.....unless you already lived through it the 1st time around...
I hadn't checked in since page 13 or so... i should've waded back a bit.the interesting thing i noticed about the quote is that when paraphrased, it said that Portis would start and then Betts would carry the load.... but the ACTUAL quote said Portis would start and then HE and Betts would shoulder the load.sounds like it'll probably be around a 75/25 split.

CP will go down as one of the biggest fantasy SOD's.

1,800 total/18 TD's, and that's being cautious.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: cautious?! :football:

we'll see ...

my $$ says he'll be on IR by week 4. And I'm not even concerned with the knee, as much as I'm concerned with the shoulder..oh, and the hand..
Nobody ever recovers from shoulder surgery.... even when they played with the bum shoulder for 8+ games. :rolleyes: Nobody ever recovers from hand surgery either.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Has ANYBODY in the NFL ever not recovered from hand surgery to play again? I'm pretty sure Portis didn't have his hand go through a wood chipper or anything....

Silliness.

got him at the end of the forth yesterday, maybe start him over benson if hes good to go come gametime.

FWIW.. I'm at work listening to Casey Rabach, O-Lineman of the Redskins, on Sirius.

When Pat Kirwin & Tim Ryan asked who will carry the load this week..

...Rabach says Betts will this week. he also says that Portis will get some carries and see where he is in his progress. Says that if his knee holds up and he gets into football shape, then CP will see more reps and his load will increase.

EDIT:

also...Pat and Tim asked if Portis was practicing ...Rabach said "not really."

when asked who would be getting the lionshare of the carries ...Rabach says he suspects it will be Betts.
This could easily be a smokescreen. I'm sure the Dolphins want to know who is starting, also. Just sayin'
Why would it be a smokescreen? Are the Dolphins really going to change their defensive strategy due to Betts or Portis? I could understand a smokescreen for a QB situation, but not for Betts or Portis. The Dolphins are probably going to play the run exactly the same regardless of who starts.

FWIW.. I'm at work listening to Casey Rabach, O-Lineman of the Redskins, on Sirius.

...Rabach says Betts will this week. he also says that Portis will get some carries and see where he is in his progress. Says that if his knee holds up and he gets into football shape, then CP will see more reps and his load will increase.

EDIT:

when asked who would be getting the lionshare of the carries ...Rabach says he suspects it will be Betts.
This could easily be a smokescreen. I'm sure the Dolphins want to know who is starting, also. Just sayin'
Why would it be a smokescreen? Are the Dolphins really going to change their defensive strategy due to Betts or Portis? I could understand a smokescreen for a QB situation, but not for Betts or Portis. The Dolphins are probably going to play the run exactly the same regardless of who starts.
Yes.Portis brings a LOT more to the table than Betts in regard to how a defense prepares. Far more speed and a need to ensure Portis does not get into the secondary and/or outside because if he gets there, it is likely no one will catch him.

Do people really believe Betts is as good a back as Portis? He is good, and he would be productive if he were the starter and sole ball carrier, but Portis is one of the leagues most talented backs. Betts is, well, good.

Portis brings a LOT more to the table than Betts in regard to how a defense prepares. Far more speed and a need to ensure Portis does not get into the secondary and/or outside because if he gets there, it is likely no one will catch him.
that's actually only 1 reason you've given, not 2, and definitely not "a lot."
Do people really believe Betts is as good a back as Portis? He is good, and he would be productive if he were the starter and sole ball carrier, but Portis is one of the leagues most talented backs. Betts is, well, good.
Why not? Let's say Portis's injuries continue to affect him and what we saw from him last year is what we get going forward. Last year:Portis 4.1 ypa

Betts 4.7 ypa

Portis 7.6% dvoa

Betts 7.2% dvoa

So, going back to the table metaphor...I wouldn't mind reading more about the differences between the 2 backs and perhaps how everyone - or if anyone - would project Portis other than (a) he's going to be awesome and win everyone's leagues for them, or (b) he's going on IR; his career is over.

Portis brings a LOT more to the table than Betts in regard to how a defense prepares. Far more speed and a need to ensure Portis does not get into the secondary and/or outside because if he gets there, it is likely no one will catch him.
that's actually only 1 reason you've given, not 2, and definitely not "a lot."
Why not? Let's say Portis's injuries continue to affect him and what we saw from him last year is what we get going forward. Last year:Portis 4.1 ypa

Betts 4.7 ypa

Portis 7.6% dvoa

Betts 7.2% dvoa

So, going back to the table metaphor...I wouldn't mind reading more about the differences between the 2 backs and perhaps how everyone - or if anyone - would project Portis other than (a) he's going to be awesome and win everyone's leagues for them, or (b) he's going on IR; his career is over.
(1) I thought speed and elusiveness were two things. :unsure: Call me crazy(2) If we are talking about a diminished Portis, then duh, he may not be better than Betts. This is under the assumption that he is healthy for comparison sake. And in that context, Portis is simply more talented than Betts who admittedly is an above average talent.

(2) If we are talking about a diminished Portis, then duh, he may not be better than Betts. This is under the assumption that he is healthy for comparison sake. And in that context, Portis is simply more talented than Betts who admittedly is an above average talent.
So far, I don't think we have talked about a diminished Portis, at least not much. That's why I wanted to raise the question and see what people think.

(2) If we are talking about a diminished Portis, then duh, he may not be better than Betts. This is under the assumption that he is healthy for comparison sake. And in that context, Portis is simply more talented than Betts who admittedly is an above average talent.
So far, I don't think we have talked about a diminished Portis, at least not much. That's why I wanted to raise the question and see what people think.
That is fair. I think with the nature of the injuries and Portis' age we are talking about a Portis still easily at his physical peak. If we are not, then yeah, it is a different game completely.Portis skill set makes him a total gamebreaker. As solid as Betts may be, he is not "that" - lightning in a bottle. A diminished Portis would likely not be that either.

:popcorn: Just three posts up you said:

Why not? Let's say Portis's injuries continue to affect him and what we saw from him last year is what we get going forward.
You then quote stats from when Portis played, for the most part, at less than 100%.That's not talking about a diminished Portis?

100% healthy Portis >>>>> 100% healthy Betts

...and it really isn't even debatable.

I like Betts don't get me wrong, I love having him backup Portis. However, everyone that is on this Ladell Betts bandwagon has to realzie that Joe Gibbs hates turnovers. He wants his QB to protect the ball and not toss INTs and wants his WRs, and RB to not fumble the ball. Betts had 6 fumbles last year, the STL and NYG fumbles at the end of the year arguably cost the Skins those two games. The STL one in particular he fumbled on his way to the endzone. Also the fumble during the MIN game at the start of the season was huge, personally I think the Skins would have won that game too if he hadn't fumbled.

When I look through threads like this, I make judgments based on which side is throwing out facts, and which side is throwing out conjecture. It really seems like the Betts owners are grasping at straws here.
:yes: Fact: Clinton Portis hasn't practiced 100% since August 2nd. Has not taken a single snap in the preseason.

Conjecture: Clinton Portis is fine and is only sitting out practice because he thinks training camp is worthless.

...are we following the same thread?

When I look through threads like this, I make judgments based on which side is throwing out facts, and which side is throwing out conjecture. It really seems like the Betts owners are grasping at straws here.
:lmao: Fact: Clinton Portis hasn't practiced 100% since August 2nd. Has not taken a single snap in the preseason.

Conjecture: Clinton Portis is fine and is only sitting out practice because he thinks training camp is worthless.

Hey One--That's one way to spin it, sure. If you want to ignore every report that's come out over the past three days just so you can play games instead of contributing, be my guest.

The fact you put there is absolutely true. It's been addressed with OTHER facts in here, and still shown that Portis is probably a very good buy-low candidate time and time again.

The "conjecture" you show is moronic. Nobody that's really contributing (other than to fish) has suggested that. But hey, fish all you want. Hope it works out for you.

Peace and love,

Keys

I like Betts don't get me wrong, I love having him backup Portis. However, everyone that is on this Ladell Betts bandwagon has to realzie that Joe Gibbs hates turnovers. He wants his QB to protect the ball and not toss INTs and wants his WRs, and RB to not fumble the ball. Betts had 6 fumbles last year, the STL and NYG fumbles at the end of the year arguably cost the Skins those two games. The STL one in particular he fumbled on his way to the endzone. Also the fumble during the MIN game at the start of the season was huge, personally I think the Skins would have won that game too if he hadn't fumbled.
I have a hard time believing anybody here honestly feels that a 100% Betts > 100% Portis. ..and if they do, they're probably smoking crack. The only reason Betts is going to have any value is because it's beginning to look like Portis can't handle the entire load himself. iMO, we're no longer dealing with a 100% Portis as he's going to have some injury issues to deal with along the way. If anything, Betts could be a good valve to keep Portis healthy throughout the season. It seems like there's two schools of thought.. well.. 2.51.) CP's injuries were overstated and he'll be up and running all season ...no need to handcuff him since it'll be a wasted pick.2.) CP's injuries are legit and could hamper his playing time, possibly his season. ...so handcuff him..5) Portis is radioactive, his shoulder is close to falling off and his knees will snap. ...stay away. (NYG)all good arguments, just too soon to tell. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: Fact: Clinton Portis hasn't practiced 100% since August 2nd. Has not taken a single snap in the preseason.

Hey One--That's one way to spin it, sure. If you want to ignore every report that's come out over the past three days just so you can play games instead of contributing, be my guest.

The fact you put there is absolutely true. It's been addressed with OTHER facts in here, and still shown that Portis is probably a very good buy-low candidate time and time again.

The "conjecture" you show is moronic. Nobody that's really contributing (other than to fish) has suggested that. But hey, fish all you want. Hope it works out for you.

Peace and love,

Keys
Keys, I'm thinkin' you missed the sarcasm. :rolleyes:

:goodposting: Fact: Clinton Portis hasn't practiced 100% since August 2nd. Has not taken a single snap in the preseason.

Peace and love,

Keys
Keys, I'm thinkin' you missed the sarcasm. :lmao:
Yeah, just woke up off a Vicodin hangover. :rolleyes: My bad, gb.

we'll see ...my $$ says he'll be on IR by week 4. And I'm not even concerned with the knee, as much as I'm concerned with the shoulder..oh, and the hand..
ofcourse you have hate for CP; your Giants Fan...
Thanks KH.....for making the "ignore" function useless to me. :lol:
You have chosen to ignore all posts from: nygiants56. · View this post · Un-ignore nygiants56

:kicksrock: Just three posts up you said:

Why not? Let's say Portis's injuries continue to affect him and what we saw from him last year is what we get going forward.
You then quote stats from when Portis played, for the most part, at less than 100%.That's not talking about a diminished Portis?

100% healthy Portis >>>>> 100% healthy Betts

...and it really isn't even debatable.
what's so confusing? my 2nd post is just clarifying my 1st, or at least the reason I think it's relevant. no need to reach for the emoticons when reading will do.

EDIT:

Because rightly or wrongly, Joe Gibbs doesn't like the opponent to know his gameday plans. And his players know this.

Thanks, Righetti.This is why I think Portis is so underrated this year. He's already starting Week 1, he's a top 10, if not top 5 RB when healthy, and he's still very, very young.When I look through threads like this, I make judgments based on which side is throwing out facts, and which side is throwing out conjecture. It really seems like the Betts owners are grasping at straws here.Of course, I'm obviously inviting someone to prove me wrong, and I hope they do.
FO is high on Betts in their projections. That is a fact. Whether they are high on him more based on fact or on conjecture, I will leave it to others to decide.Just as with sexy and sexist, it's a fine line between fact and conjecture in fantasy football.

Yeah, just woke up off a Vicodin hangover. :hophead: My bad, gb.
:shrug:
Actually, I'm thinking the stuff is overrated. Sure, the pain is gone, but that's about it. I expected more.
Yeah, its not like some others. But I can enjoy that numb feeling for hours on end on the right day.I've heard that if you take it another way it is quite potent, but I'm finished with my experimental days.Sorry for the short hijack all, Portis will be fine. Solid value. He's my #3 in all 3 leagues. Got him in the 5th or 6th. Would do it again tomorrow.

Sorry for the short hijack all, Portis will be fine. Solid value. He's my #3 in all 3 leagues. Got him in the 5th or 6th. Would do it again tomorrow.
but solid value in the 5th or 6th and 'will be fine' are 2 very different things. probably just about everyone who's bothered to post in the thread on either side of the debate wouldn't argue with getting him as a RB3.

Sorry for the short hijack all, Portis will be fine. Solid value. He's my #3 in all 3 leagues. Got him in the 5th or 6th. Would do it again tomorrow.
but solid value in the 5th or 6th and 'will be fine' are 2 very different things. probably just about everyone who's bothered to post in the thread on either side of the debate wouldn't argue with getting him as a RB3.
Sorry, just read the last few pages and it seemed to be a debate about health...I'll pay better attention next time.

One said:
thayman said:
I have a hard time believing anybody here honestly feels that a 100% Betts > 100% Portis. ..and if they do, they're probably smoking crack. The only reason Betts is going to have any value is because it's beginning to look like Portis can't handle the entire load himself. iMO, we're no longer dealing with a 100% Portis as he's going to have some injury issues to deal with along the way. If anything, Betts could be a good valve to keep Portis healthy throughout the season. It seems like there's two schools of thought.. well.. 2.51.) CP's injuries were overstated and he'll be up and running all season ...no need to handcuff him since it'll be a wasted pick.2.) CP's injuries are legit and could hamper his playing time, possibly his season. ...so handcuff him..5) Portis is radioactive, his shoulder is close to falling off and his knees will snap. ...stay away. (NYG)all good arguments, just too soon to tell. :no:
I completely agree with you. My point is that there will be a lot of disapointed owners if they think that Betts can displace and hold onto the starting job in Washington. Even if, and that's a big IF, Portis was to end up out of Washington anytime soon Betts would not be the long term solution. He is a good backup, nothing more.

Article from this morning's Post

Interesting read, looks like he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder...
It sure does.
"People are going to believe what they want to believe, man," he said. "But for me to get hurt the way I got hurt, all of a sudden for people to think I got an injury problem or I can't do the things I used to do when I got hurt on some fluke [expletive] -- is just wrong.

"I got hurt making, probably, one of the best form tackles of last year. Just so happened it didn't count. I wasn't dogging it in the preseason. I listened to the doctors. Last year, I played and I got hurt. Whatcha want me to do?"

Article from this morning's Post

Interesting read, looks like he's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder...
It sure does.
"People are going to believe what they want to believe, man," he said. "But for me to get hurt the way I got hurt, all of a sudden for people to think I got an injury problem or I can't do the things I used to do when I got hurt on some fluke [expletive] -- is just wrong.

"I got hurt making, probably, one of the best form tackles of last year. Just so happened it didn't count. I wasn't dogging it in the preseason. I listened to the doctors. Last year, I played and I got hurt. Whatcha want me to do?"
:thumbup:
So redman, as a Redskins 'insider', any news or updates about CP? Projections or whatever? Anything? :thumbup:
Heh, he's probably the most volatile player in the draft this year, so in that sense it's tough. His floor is above what he did last year IMHO - 127/423/7 17/170/0 - which he did in only 8 games and which had him solidly within the RB3 range in overall value. I'm not all that worried about the tendonitis, and the shoulder isn't even getting mentioned as a problem leading me to believe that he's fully healed. I also think Portis is a proud, flamboyant guy who will have something to prove this year.

On the downside, Portis' tendonitis is an overuse injury that is only ultimately treated with rest, and that could lead to the team resting him given how well Betts showed he could carry the ball last year. Also, the left side of the line has zero preseason playing time in this offense, and Samuels won't return until Week 1; Kendall's learning the offense after a late start. I think they're going to take a few weeks to settle in, leading to a slow start offensively.

My current projections: 280/1260/11 35/295/1.

Those are conservative numbers. If his knee is essentially a non-issue that's been dressed up a tad as an excuse to avoid preseason work, then he could be good for as much as 1500 rushing yards in that offense. Saunders is salivating at that prospect.

I think overall you draft Portis for value thinking "upside", and don't worry too much about getting him too early (or for too much in an auction league) because he figures to put up at least decent numbers.
The word is "upside" - spread the word.

Users who are viewing this thread