What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (4 Viewers)

I know, from books like "Mindless Eating" (great read, BTW), that adjectives in menus have a significant effect on how we perceive food ("Grandma's homemade meatloaf", "fire-roasted tomatoes", "artisanal bread", etc.)

So which marketing genius came up with the idea of "hand-dipped" milkshakes? Because unlike all those other adjectives, that phrase doesn't whet my appetite. What it does do is force me to picture the minimum-wage teenager behind the counter sticking their hand into my milkshake immediately before serving it to me
it's not marketing, its the type of milkshake they serve. Handdipped is the definition of the ice cream used for the milkshake vs a soft serve
The ****?
is this schtcik?

hand dipped ice cream is the ice cream that they scoop out of the flavored bucket for you vs a soft serve/ milkshake machine :shrug:
Wouldn't that be "hand scooped" rather than "hand dipped" ice cream then? Dipped seems like the wrong word there. It's unnecessarily confusing. No one asks for a dip of ice cream, they ask for a scoop of ice cream. The act of obtaining the ice cream from the ice cream container is scooping, not dipping. I could see dip, if you then took the scoop of ice cream and dipped it into something, like chocolate sauce, but that's generally not happening when you make a shake. So dipped is a bad choice of words here.
I didn't invent the term

Anybody else peeved that it's called "hand dipped", when it should be "hand scooped"? Nope, just me huh?

Dipping implies that you're taking the ice cream and somehow dipping it into some other substance. If you're Dairy Queen and dipping it into chocolate sauce for a coating/covering, then sure call it dipped. But the high school sophomore at Baskin Robbins digging it out of a 5 gallon bucket isn't hand-dipping it.

Uh, you've never ordered ice cream in "dips"? Like a double dip cone? Are they dipping that in something?

I feel like you guys are grasping at straws here.
DQ takes a scoop of vanilla, puts it on a cone, and then dips it into a vat of chocolate sauce so it comes out chocolate coated, but vanilla underneath. That's dipped ice cream to me.

Taking an ice cream scoop (the metal spoon/scooper) into a tub, scooping a ball of whatever, putting it into a cone or cup, and then doing it again for a second ball would be "two scoops" or a "double scoop" where I'm from.

I totally agree this is what it should be, I've been slightly shticking in here. But I've heard "single/double dip" used interchangeably with scoops my entire life. Just do a google image search for "double dip ice cream cone".
Totally agree that "hand dipped ice cream" is the term generally used to mean "ice cream scooped by hand from a tub". But it shouldn't be called that because dipped has a different meaning. But hand-dipped is a froo-froo word to make the item sound more prestigious, like hand-spun milkshake or artisanal pizza. Watch an episode of Masterchef and every stay at home mom now makes a raspberry coulis. "Quit trying to church it up, Dirt!"

Schtick always welcome here, carry on sir...

is "hand dipped" regional?

like "hoagie" or "grinder"?
Or soda vs. pop vs. Coke?
except saying it's "dipped" just seems wrong based on the definition of the word.

The tool is called an "ice cream scoop" and that is what you use to "scoop" the ice cream scoops. If you are "dipping" the ice cream, it means you have already scooped it onto the cone and are dipping it into chocolate sauce or some other liquid.
What about when you dip soft serve? Is that soft serve hand dipped?

Dipping soft serve is dipping it into chocolate sauce to get that hard shell. Soft serve comes out of a machine generally so it isn't scooped either. It's more like the machine poops it out. I dont know what the word is for serving soft serve on a cone, but it sure as hell shouldn't be "Dipping".

Also, I don't think I've ever seen ice cream scooped by anything other than a person, so I don't know why the term "hand scooped" really means anything.

except saying it's "dipped" just seems wrong based on the definition of the word.

The tool is called an "ice cream scoop" and that is what you use to "scoop" the ice cream scoops. If you are "dipping" the ice cream, it means you have already scooped it onto the cone and are dipping it into chocolate sauce or some other liquid.

Dipping soft serve is dipping it into chocolate sauce to get that hard shell. Soft serve comes out of a machine generally so it isn't scooped either. It's more like the machine poops it out. I dont know what the word is for serving soft serve on a cone, but it sure as hell shouldn't be "Dipping".

Also, I don't think I've ever seen ice cream scooped by anything other than a person, so I don't know why the term "hand scooped" really means anything.
Speak for yourself. The new yuppie ice cream — excuse me, “frozen creme” — shop I’m opening in Portland next month will feature foot-dipped Ice cream

Trying to make restaurant reservations in many areas of Europe is just insanely frustrating. Currently going through the process right now for a trip to Provence, and I'd say only 10-15% of the restaurants have a functioning website with a functioning system for making reservations. The vast majority don't have website, have buggy websites, use Facebook or Instagram as a substitute for a website, require a phone call to make reservations (but then never answer the phone during their operating hours), have a functional website with a buggy reservation system, etc.

And then on those rare occasions that everything works fine...they tend to have such limited opening hours that I often have to go searching for another restaurant.

One Definition of dip

to raise or take up by a bailing, scooping, or ladling action:
to dip water out of a boat; to dip ice cream from a container.

2. TRANSITIVE VERB/INTRANSITIVE VERB
If you dip your hand into a container or dip into the container, you put your hand into it in order to take something out of it.
She dipped a hand into the jar of candies and pulled one out.
Nancy dipped into the bowl of popcorn that Hannah had made for them.

Anybody else peeved that it's called "hand dipped", when it should be "hand scooped"? Nope, just me huh?

Dipping implies that you're taking the ice cream and somehow dipping it into some other substance. If you're Dairy Queen and dipping it into chocolate sauce for a coating/covering, then sure call it dipped. But the high school sophomore at Baskin Robbins digging it out of a 5 gallon bucket isn't hand-dipping it.

Uh, you've never ordered ice cream in "dips"? Like a double dip cone? Are they dipping that in something?

Nope. Never once.

"double dip" is what you do when you take a bite of your chip and then go back in with the remainder for more dip/salsa

One Definition of dip

If you dip your hand into a container or dip into the container, you put your hand into it in order to take something out of it.

Nobody ever really uses the word dipped like this, unless you live where shuke and I guess a handful others live. Sure, you dip your hands in, but if you are scooping something as part of the dipping process, you generally use the word scoop.

ie: I'm taking a dip in the pool.
ie: I need to use the pool net to scoop some leaves out of the pool.

Speak for yourself. The new yuppie ice cream — excuse me, “frozen creme” — shop I’m opening in Portland next month will feature foot-dipped Ice cream
Now we're talking.

due to the "ice cream chat" conversation, I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the BEST AND CLOSEST THING TO REAL HOMEMADE ice cream I have ever had.

BLUE BELL HOMEMADE VANILLA

If your family made hand-cranked homemade ice cream (we had one of these bad boys - and had to take turns cranking that beech - really tough toward the end) on rare occasions in the summer as my family did - it was really special. And we were almost always able to talk my mom out of putting those GD peaches in it - we wanted straight vanilla man!!!

if you have never had REAL homemade ice cream, do yourself a favor and do it - it's great fun for the family and very special ...brings back such great memories - and it's even better the next day.

I love all kinds of fancy flavors - and there are some awesome custom and expensive places like Jeni's that I love ...still extremely bitter about them never bringing back "Bangkok Peanut" flavor

"Opening the pint, the honey peanut butter base has the expected orange color. Lots of the shredded coconut is available as well. Digging in the peanut butter ice cream is quite good. Sometimes peanut butter ice cream can be thick and heavy, but mixing it with honey does a good job of brightening it up a bit. I liked it. The shredded coconut adds quite a bit of texture to the pint. The coconut flavor it provides is not too strong. It goes with the peanut butter well. I did not notice the cayenne pepper right away but it was something that slowly built up as I ate several spoonfuls. Jeni's website descriptions often talk about the 'finish' of an ice cream flavor. That sounds like what is happening with the cayenne pepper here. I liked this effect. The spice did not distract from the flavor while I was eating it, but I noticed it later."

my mom still has that old hand-crank and bucket ...looks just like it.

based in TX, Blue Bell is only sold in 23 states - mostly in the South.

Did you ask Rex Ryan to endorse?

Last edited:
One Definition of dip

Nobody ever really uses the word dipped like this, unless you live where shuke and I guess a handful others live. Sure, you dip your hands in, but if you are scooping something as part of the dipping process, you generally use the word scoop.

ie: I'm taking a dip in the pool.
ie: I need to use the pool net to scoop some leaves out of the pool.
Relevant by Jules

due to the "ice cream chat" conversation, I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the BEST AND CLOSEST THING TO REAL HOMEMADE ice cream I have ever had.

If your family made hand-cranked homemade ice cream (we had one of these bad boys - and had to take turns cranking that beech - really tough toward the end) on rare occasions in the summer as my family did - it was really special. And we were almost always able to talk my mom out of putting those GD peaches in it - we wanted straight vanilla man!!!

if you have never had REAL homemade ice cream, do yourself a favor and do it - it's great fun for the family and very special ...brings back such great memories - and it's even better the next day.

I love all kinds of fancy flavors - and there are some awesome custom and expensive places like Jeni's that I love ...still extremely bitter about them never bringing back "Bangkok Peanut" flavor

"Opening the pint, the honey peanut butter base has the expected orange color. Lots of the shredded coconut is available as well. Digging in the peanut butter ice cream is quite good. Sometimes peanut butter ice cream can be thick and heavy, but mixing it with honey does a good job of brightening it up a bit. I liked it. The shredded coconut adds quite a bit of texture to the pint. The coconut flavor it provides is not too strong. It goes with the peanut butter well. I did not notice the cayenne pepper right away but it was something that slowly built up as I ate several spoonfuls. Jeni's website descriptions often talk about the 'finish' of an ice cream flavor. That sounds like what is happening with the cayenne pepper here. I liked this effect. The spice did not distract from the flavor while I was eating it, but I noticed it later."

With or without listeria? Blue Bell seems to include it from time to time

With or without listeria? Blue Bell seems to include it from time to time

:D true - it has happened a few times over the years ...but I'm risking it.

Nope. Never once.

"double dip" is what you do when you take a bite of your chip and then go back in with the remainder for more dip/salsa
HINT: words/terms can have two meanings.

I came in here to complain about something stupid and stumbled upon the "ice cream" discussion. Thank you for turning a negative into a positive. Graeter's Ice Cream was a life changer for me. I grew up in NE Ohio, we had a local dairy that was very popular, something like UDF or similar, cheap, good but not great. I moved to Cincinnati to go to UC back in the 80's. I lived about 2 miles off campus, and I used to walk by Graeter's (and a UDF) on my way to/from class.

This was in the day's before you could buy a little pint of Graeter's at the grocery store. One fateful day it was hot, I stopped in for a double dip of chocolate, chocolate chip in a sugar cone or waffle cone - can't recall which at the moment. Anyway, I've had some fantastic ice cream over the years, but I've never had anything even close to that since. Ludlow and Vine, like the Bermuda triangle of things I love - Big Sky bakery made a black olive loaf bread that was insane, there was a pastry shop near Skyline that was amazing, and I had my first slice of Chicago style pizza at that Uno's there. . . holy crap. . . almost 40 years ago. . . damn I'm old.

Last edited:
I came in here to complain about something stupid and stumbled upon the "ice cream" discussion. Thank you for turning a negative into a positive. Graeter's Ice Cream was a life changer for me. I grew up in NE Ohio, we had a local dairy that was very popular, something like UDF or similar, cheap, good but not great. I moved to Cincinnati to go UC back in the 80's. I lived about 2 miles off campus and I used to walk by Graeter's (and a UDF) on my way to/from class.

This was in the day's before you could buy a little pint of Graeter's at the grocery store. One fateful day it was hot, I stopped in for a double dip of chocolate, chocolate chip on a sugar cone. I've had some fantastic ice cream over the years but I've never had anything even close to that since. Ludlow and Vine, like the Bermuda triangle of things I love - Big Sky bakery made a black olive loaf bread that was insane, there was a pastry shop near Skyline that was amazing and I had my first slice of Chicago style pizza at that Uno's there. . . holy crap. . . almost 40 years ago. . . damn I'm old.
That sounds good. What did they dip it in?

I came in here to complain about something stupid and stumbled upon the "ice cream" discussion. Thank you for turning a negative into a positive. Graeter's Ice Cream was a life changer for me. I grew up in NE Ohio, we had a local dairy that was very popular, something like UDF or similar, cheap, good but not great. I moved to Cincinnati to go UC back in the 80's. I lived about 2 miles off campus and I used to walk by Graeter's (and a UDF) on my way to/from class.

This was in the day's before you could buy a little pint of Graeter's at the grocery store. One fateful day it was hot, I stopped in for a double dip of chocolate, chocolate chip on a sugar cone. I've had some fantastic ice cream over the years but I've never had anything even close to that since. Ludlow and Vine, like the Bermuda triangle of things I love - Big Sky bakery made a black olive loaf bread that was insane, there was a pastry shop near Skyline that was amazing and I had my first slice of Chicago style pizza at that Uno's there. . . holy crap. . . almost 40 years ago. . . damn I'm old.
That sounds good. What did they dip it in?
Love and a sugar cone?

Anybody on the west coast remember the ice cream at "thrifty"?

Their scoops were shaped like cylinders. They would jam the ice cream in there and then pull the trigger and put it on the cone.
Yep, the ice cream was surprisingly good for being a medium sized chain pharmacy. Rite-Aid still sells "Thrify" ice cream.
Indeed, got a Rite-Aid a stones dip from my house. They keep the ice-cream scooper/gun in water to keep it warm.

Never. Never even heard of it

I grew up in Fairborn and had cousins in Cincy. It was always a treat to go to Graeter's. Later in life my wife's aunt and us used to trade fancy food gifts for Christmas and for a few years she sent the sampler pack in dry ice.

Way before you could get it at Kroger Brand Premium - the Black Raspberry Dk Chocolate Chunk was our fav.

Last edited:
back in the day when we would go crusin in watertown youd stop at mullens you bet your keester they asked you and your papershaker how many dips you wanted take that to the bank bromigos

back in the day when we would go crusin in watertown youd stop at mullens you bet your keester they asked you and your papershaker how many dips you wanted take that to the bank bromigos
Ah yes, Watertown, the land that time forgot, bromingo
just a short drive down 16 from oconomowoc i actually say that every time i go to watertown i feel like i should set my clock back as in i should set it back about 45 years take that to the bank brochacho

Nope. Never once.

HINT: words/terms can have two meanings.

I just meant that's the way I've ever used "double dip." Sorry that wasn't clear with my wording and the context.

Last edited:
I know, from books like "Mindless Eating" (great read, BTW), that adjectives in menus have a significant effect on how we perceive food ("Grandma's homemade meatloaf", "fire-roasted tomatoes", "artisanal bread", etc.)

So which marketing genius came up with the idea of "hand-dipped" milkshakes? Because unlike all those other adjectives, that phrase doesn't whet my appetite. What it does do is force me to picture the minimum-wage teenager behind the counter sticking their hand into my milkshake immediately before serving it to me
I missed the "force me to picture" part and thought your local ice cream shop had a serious training issue :lmao:

While we're on inaccurate food descriptions, "home made" annoys me. On particularly snarky days I ask whose home it was made in and has the health inspector been there.
I frequently see “housemade” on menus, which I think is meant to be more accurate (“made by the house”) but mostly just sounds pretentious

While we're on inaccurate food descriptions, "home made" annoys me. On particularly snarky days I ask whose home it was made in and has the health inspector been there.
I frequently see “housemade” on menus, which I think is meant to be more accurate (“made by the house”) but mostly just sounds pretentious
Well… a house made bread, ketchup, ice cream, etc (vs sourced) would have me intrigued.

Flew home to Miami yesterday through Reagan-National in DC. It truly is the personification of the old JFK joke that Washington is a town of Northern charm and Southern efficiency. Everything at that airport seemed to take twice as long as it should have

Ah yes, Watertown, the land that time forgot, bromingo
just a short drive down 16 from oconomowoc i actually say that every time i go to watertown i feel like i should set my clock back as in i should set it back about 45 years take that to the bank brochacho
more of a Stone Bank guy, myself

• Love
Reactions: SWC
I totally agree this is what it should be, I've been slightly shticking in here. But I've heard "single/double dip" used interchangeably with scoops my entire life. Just do a google image search for "double dip ice cream cone".
After the discussions in a couple of other folders, I'll pass.

Users who are viewing this thread