What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

Like the changes of the episode number listed next to the shows now.

Also cool how it will play the next show automatically in your playlist.

I was just thinking that I need to upgrade to add the Sports Pack on Direct TV to get Fox Sports 2 but it seems to be part of my regular tv package now.

Sweet! I have no idea when this happened.

Did anyone else recently see FS2 move into their regular Direct TV package?

Called them over the weekend and was able to get a $15 discount of 6 months just because. Seriously, DTV has the best customer service that I've ever dealt with.

Just made the call. Bill went from 157/month for premiere w/ 4 televisions to 107/month for 6 months, and 117/month for the next 6 months.

Just because wife was "looking" to use streaming and we have our oldest moving out of the house this summer for college and we needed to cut back.

They tried to upgrade us to genie instead of the above, but I said "that sounded to complicated" for old folk.

Already marked the calendar to call back this time next year.

Called yesterday - got $15 off / mo for next 12 and $25 one-timer credit. Thinking about switching to the lowest $ channel package. I'm now paying $90 per month and that feels like a lot for the amount of TV we watch.

Hmmmm... First time ever shut out. They transferred me to retention, we went over everything and they said there weren't any promotions available to me at this time. Quoted me my early cancellation fee and told me to call back after next billing cycle to see if there were any offers available.

I ended up with showtime free for 3 months.

How do you find your anniversary date?

It used to be on the website in "My Account", but I cannot find it anywhere.

I usually like to make my annual call when I see the first installment of my ST hit, but I noticed a few months back the bill ticked up $5, then another $7, then $20, and then another $10... It was time. I think it's still too early for ST talk, so I settled with $35 a month discount and a one time $55 credit.

What really concerns me and I'm curious what others think:

One day I'm gonna call for my free ST and they're just going to say "no Mr FC, you can cancel, we've seen this threat for a decade from you, enjoy TWC..." Obviously not to that extent, but no free ST - Anyone think this will ever happen?

DirecTV doesn't want to lose subscribers. It's far harder and costlier to attract a new customer as it is to keep the ones they have.

What anyone can squeeze out of them is up to each individual and his negotiating skill.

fantasycurse42 said:
I usually like to make my annual call when I see the first installment of my ST hit, but I noticed a few months back the bill ticked up $5, then another $7, then $20, and then another $10... It was time. I think it's still too early for ST talk, so I settled with $35 a month discount and a one time $55 credit.

What really concerns me and I'm curious what others think:

One day I'm gonna call for my free ST and they're just going to say "no Mr FC, you can cancel, we've seen this threat for a decade from you, enjoy TWC..." Obviously not to that extent, but no free ST - Anyone think this will ever happen?
Jack White said:
DirecTV doesn't want to lose subscribers. It's far harder and costlier to attract a new customer as it is to keep the ones they have.

What anyone can squeeze out of them is up to each individual and his negotiating skill.
With the rumored demise of cable/satellite with the internet and streaming services on the rise I dont think they are going to let customers go so easy.

Just dropped them today went with over the air plus Netflix and Hulu.They offered to drop payment from $120 a month to $49.99 a month plus HBO and Cinamax.Told them no thanks.Picture quality of over the air is much

better than Directv really surprised me.

Are you guys still calling and saying cancel when the VR starts? Mine has shot way up. Used to have a girl who called me every so often, sort of my own personal retention person, but I guess she moved on. I'd happily take the deal rustycolts was offered. I'm sure it won't get near that though since I'm not going to cancel.

I didn't get jack squat when I called last time, wound up with a killer deal from xfinity.
Wish I could. Maybe if I got a different person they might have better deals but I did a chat session with my ISP/local cable provider and asked what the price would be to match my current equipment/package...$30 more. "We're offering great deals now! blah blah blah." Whatever!

I've seen commercials for American Genius on National Geographic and it's still not listed on the DVR. Pisses me off. Same with starting an NHL playoff game on a different channel and only switching to the correct recorded channel after the previous game is over. Does the Genie do any better than my HR22? This technology is worse than the TiVo I bought 15 freakin' years ago.

I've seen commercials for American Genius on National Geographic and it's still not listed on the DVR. Pisses me off. Same with starting an NHL playoff game on a different channel and only switching to the correct recorded channel after the previous game is over. Does the Genie do any better than my HR22? This technology is worse than the TiVo I bought 15 freakin' years ago.
DVR schedule only goes out a few weeks. Sometimes there are commercials for show that won't air for months.

I always forget, when is the first installment for the ST? I think June?

I like to call right before then and get my free ST along with a $30 monthly discount.

Hawks, what do you mean? How did you get nothing? They just tell you to cancel? Are you sure you were talking to the retention department?

That doesn't start until June 1. And this pisses you off why? You could just wait until it shows up on the guide.

That doesn't start until June 1. And this pisses you off why? You could just wait until it shows up on the guide.
Since the show is being advertised for June 1, surely someone can put it on the guide for June 1? I don't want to keep checking back to see if it's scheduled; I've already done it twice, and twice too many. Why should I have to think about it multiple times? I'm a FBG; I've got better things to do. It's not just this show. Their whole Guide and Search is a joke. It's like it's running on Windows 95. Why can't I set the DVR once to record every Vikings game for the whole season? If the game is running late why can't the DVR account for that and extend the time rather than me having to add an extra hour every time? Why are Search and navigation so slow? Why are old SNL re-runs recorded as if they're new content (because they leave the original air date out). Why does the DVR say it's on my network but it doesn't show up live on the app? It's because it's terrible.

Since the show is being advertised for June 1, surely someone can put it on the guide for June 1? I don't want to keep checking back to see if it's scheduled; I've already done it twice, and twice too many. Why should I have to think about it multiple times? I'm a FBG; I've got better things to do. It's not just this show.Their whole Guide and Search is a joke. It's like it's running on Windows 95. Why can't I set the DVR once to record every Vikings game for the whole season? If the game is running late why can't the DVR account for that and extend the time rather than me having to add an extra hour every time? Why are Search and navigation so slow? Why are old SNL re-runs recorded as if they're new content (because they leave the original air date out). Why does the DVR say it's on my network but it doesn't show up live on the app? It's because it's terrible.
Poor baby. I guess they shouldn't advertise movies for next December, either. You do realise that the guide can only hold so much information?

And you could have just gone to "smart search" and told it to record it when the show comes on. That option is availble on my DVR.

So I had an interesting talk with a retention rep the other day. I was calling for my parent's account. They haven't changed their plan or called for anything in like 15 years (not joking). Their plan is ANCIENT. Anyway, I figured they would basically give me service for free since they've been loyal for so long.

I was wrong.

The guy on the phone basically told me that you earn "points" based on some factor of how long you've been a customer, what your monthly bill is, AND what package you are on. If you are on an expired service package, you no longer earn points (or earn a lot less). So basically, since my parent's package was discontinued years ago, they couldn't get much. $10 bill credit for 24 months, update to the new plan, and 50% off HBO. Much less than I can get annually, and I've been a customer for a shorter period, pay less, and call often.

So it sounds like there is some structure behind what they can offer you. This would help explain why some people seem to be able to get more out of the reps than others...

So I had an interesting talk with a retention rep the other day. I was calling for my parent's account. They haven't changed their plan or called for anything in like 15 years (not joking). Their plan is ANCIENT. Anyway, I figured they would basically give me service for free since they've been loyal for so long.

I was wrong.

The guy on the phone basically told me that you earn "points" based on some factor of how long you've been a customer, what your monthly bill is, AND what package you are on. If you are on an expired service package, you no longer earn points (or earn a lot less). So basically, since my parent's package was discontinued years ago, they couldn't get much. $10 bill credit for 24 months, update to the new plan, and 50% off HBO. Much less than I can get annually, and I've been a customer for a shorter period, pay less, and call often.

So it sounds like there is some structure behind what they can offer you. This would help explain why some people seem to be able to get more out of the reps than others...
Ever since DTV and ATT merged I have noticed that they don't negotiate nearly as much as they used to or even at all... IMHO

I was wrong.

Ever since DTV and ATT merged I have noticed that they don't negotiate nearly as much as they used to or even at all... IMHO
That's dangerous business for them. The cost for acquiring a new customer far exceeds retaining an existing one. If I don't get free ST and a discount this year, I will cancel.

I was wrong.

That's dangerous business for them. The cost for acquiring a new customer far exceeds retaining an existing one. If I don't get free ST and a discount this year, I will cancel.
I hope you get it..

Either I have had bad customer reps or there seems to be a new top down philosophy of little to no negotiation that has been instituted by ATT... Been trying to talk the wife into cuttin the chord but the NFL package and her on demand shows have made it tough.. Good Luck...

I call for my parents also. It's different now.

You need to know that for ATT Uverse they only really do promos on signups. But ATT doesn't care if 100 people in a household get signups. So to run the scam that people do on ATT you call and cancel, don't even give them time to offer you anything. So people literally turn their service off for a day, sign up again, get the promo rate for a year and go from there.

Even if you tell the operator on the phone that's your intention they won't budge. I mean people schedule their vacations around it here so they shut off before vacation, then turn on when they get back under the new plan.

I assume DTV is following the same model now. ATT does this because it makes their financials look better. They don't want to show their subscriber base bringing in less profit. They would rather have more new subscribers on promo than old subscribers paying less because the promo rates show as SGA expense, not COGS.

Man...not happy to hear that this is an ATT driven thing...I usually call for myself every fall for ST. I can't say I'll cancel, because the only option is Comcast, but I really appreciate the discounts I tend to get.

Just as an FYI - If you have satellite radio, they'll throw some crazy stuff at you as far as rate reductions as well.

As FC said, the cost to acquire a customer >>> the cost of keeping one. Sat Radio especially has to be terrified of streaming (Pandora, Spotify, etc). We basically just said "Pandora" and they started discounting. Sat radio really is out-gunned here because they came out before iPhones. Now that everyone can stream music and most cars have interfaces, nobody needs Sat Radio as much, and Sat Radio's overhead is many times higher than a company like Spotify which is just software.

I like to call right before then and get my free ST along with a $30 monthly discount.

Hawks, what do you mean? How did you get nothing? They just tell you to cancel? Are you sure you were talking to the retention department?
What's the strategy here? I'm going into my 2nd year of my first DTV contract (Contract is for 2 years). I had ST free the first year and I negotiated to get just red zone free for the 2nd year. Would like to get ST free again, but it's not the end of the world if I dont

Last edited by a moderator:
They've changed the system I think. I used to make my annual call to get discounts to make the bill reasonable, but last time I tried they offered virtually nothing. Just "calling retention" doesn't do it any longer. Now to get the good deals you need to actually cancel, but schedule the discontinuation for a couple of weeks out. Then you get an email begging you to return, you call a special phone number, and they give you the better discounts. All the details are in this thread, start at the first post on page 272 for an overview of what to do.

They've changed the system I think. I used to make my annual call to get discounts to make the bill reasonable, but last time I tried they offered virtually nothing. Just "calling retention" doesn't do it any longer. Now to get the good deals you need to actually cancel, but schedule the discontinuation for a couple of weeks out. Then you get an email begging you to return, you call a special phone number, and they give you the better discounts. All the details are in this thread, start at the first post on page 272 for an overview of what to do.
thanks. I am starting this procedure right now. keeping fingers crossed. I got the $15 off a month offer and said no and went ahead with the full cancellation 2 weeks out.

I hope I get the NEWDEAL1 offer soon in my email....

This is nearly identical to what you have to do to get deals on Uverse.

If you play your hands smart there are people that actually have the cable companies paying them to have cable by way of gift cards and just exploiting the system.

What's the strategy here? I'm going into my 2nd year of my first DTV contract (Contract is for 2 years). I had ST free the first year and I negotiated to get just red zone free for the 2nd year. Would like to get ST free again, but it's not the end of the world if I dont
I called last year to cancel ST and hope to get an offer to keep it. They didn't say anything. Just let me cancel it and be on my way. Was very strange.

I call up and say Time Warner has a much better deal, the only reason I'm a customer is for the ST, but TW offers the red zone. My bill is too expensive and I have to cancel.

They'll typically throw out a few new offers and I decline. I'll let them know I want a discount to get my bill under $x a month while keeping my packages and getting the ST for free. They oblige always, however the comments from others are making me more concerned.

I might take Culdeus advice and just cancel and then rejoin a week later.

I call up and say Time Warner has a much better deal, the only reason I'm a customer is for the ST, but TW offers the red zone. My bill is too expensive and I have to cancel.

They'll typically throw out a few new offers and I decline. I'll let them know I want a discount to get my bill under $x a month while keeping my packages and getting the ST for free. They oblige always, however the comments from others are making me more concerned.

Do they really let people cancel and then sign up a week later under the same name and address?

Do they really let people cancel and then sign up a week later under the same name and address?
Did you read the script to follow that was posted above from TheMeanMachine?

If not, the general idea is that you schedule the cancel a couple of weeks out which allows time for them to offer a better deal than they offer on the phone.

I just kicked the procedure off and it went exactly as the script said it would so far.

They don't even validate the names. People just start making #### up in this area.

My contract ends in Nov, any way you guys think I could call in like August and threaten to not renew and possibly get these deals?

They don't even validate the names. People just start making #### up in this area.
It's not all based on address?

People move, so the address shouldn't be the biggest factor.

My internet company has nowhere near my correct name on the account. Maybe a few letters are the same. Signed up over the phone.

Okay, I'm on the script... Best they offered was $75 off the ticket. Cancellation date set, let's see if I get the email beforehand.

I knew this AT&T #### would be bad news.

thanks. I am starting this procedure right now. keeping fingers crossed. I got the $15 off a month offer and said no and went ahead with the full cancellation 2 weeks out.

I hope I get the NEWDEAL1 offer soon in my email....
Note that it seems like some people don't get the email or phone call, for whatever reason. When I did this I scheduled my discontinuation for 3 weeks out (they said that was the longest they could do), and after a week I still hadn't gotten the email. Per the slickdeals instructions I called anyway, but it was the day of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, and taking PPV orders was all they were doing on that special phone number. I waited a few more days, still hadn't gotten the email, and called the number again. Now it was back to the special "please come back" hotline, and I didn't even need to say what I wanted, or reference "newdeal1" - she immediately asked for my phone number to look up my account, and launched into the special offer with no prompting. She didn't offer free Sunday Ticket up front, but I didn't ask for it because I really don't need it and would't use it. (Strange, I know.) She offered the rest up front (much lower monthly price, 3 months of premiums free, and $200 gift card), no negotiating needed.

Also, I was not allowed to keep my old package that was no longer offered, had to sign up for a current one. And had to recommit to a 12mo contract.

Okay, I'm on the script... Best they offered was $75 off the ticket. Cancellation date set, let's see if I get the email beforehand.

Going to need updates on this!
I'll update... As of now I have a cancellation date 3 weeks out.

Instead of offering me anything(outside of $75 off the ticket), he tried bashing "the offer I was receiving". This tactic pissed me off to the point that I am actually considering canceling.

I think they really are going to start losing consumers with their new tactics.

Going to need updates on this!
I'll update... As of now I have a cancellation date 3 weeks out.Instead of offering me anything(outside of $75 off the ticket), he tried bashing the offer I was receiving. This tactic pissed me off to the point that I am actually considering canceling.

I think they really are going to start losing consumers with their new tactics.
When I called the first time to cancel it was an awful experience - horrible smarmy sales guy pushing hard on how I should stay and slamming the reasons why I was leaving. After 10 minutes he literally hung up on me and I had to call back. So much for the friendly retention reps.

Users who are viewing this thread