What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Palmer (1 Viewer)

Sweetness_34

Footballguy
Pittsburgh will shut down the run like they always do, forcing the Bengals to pass. However, the Bengals D has improved significantly with the recent drafts and with their players being healthier this year. So, not sure if Palmer will need to pass to win this game. Pitt seems vulnerable to the pass (just like Baltimore) and teams have to get into more 3 WR formations to move the ball on them.

So is Palmer a good start this weekend given Pitt will not give up more than 60 yds rushing to Benson....or is it going to be a 13-7 snooze fest....thoughts?

I didnt start him last week and got burned, and I'm not starting him this week, so he should have a pretty good game. :thumbup:

In all honesty he could have a decent game as both Ten and Chi moved the ball through the air decently, and Cinci has a much better passing game. I guess I'm just rolling with who I think will be a safer choice this week, and Pit D scares me.

Pittsburgh will shut down the run like they always do, forcing the Bengals to pass. However, the Bengals D has improved significantly with the recent drafts and with their players being healthier this year. So, not sure if Palmer will need to pass to win this game. Pitt seems vulnerable to the pass (just like Baltimore) and teams have to get into more 3 WR formations to move the ball on them. So is Palmer a good start this weekend given Pitt will not give up more than 60 yds rushing to Benson....or is it going to be a 13-7 snooze fest....thoughts?
He's probably a horrible start but i have either him or Cassel at Philly. I thought palmer was a bad play last week and he did suprisingly well. Guess it all depends on your options at QB this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure I view a QB starting against Pitt as gold of any type; fool’s or actual. That said, I think Cinci will be forced to pass a good amount if they want to move the ball and the loss of Troy P should make things a touch easier.

I’d expect a mediocre game that includes one or two turnovers.

Pittsburgh will shut down the run like they always do, forcing the Bengals to pass. However, the Bengals D has improved significantly with the recent drafts and with their players being healthier this year. So, not sure if Palmer will need to pass to win this game. Pitt seems vulnerable to the pass (just like Baltimore) and teams have to get into more 3 WR formations to move the ball on them. So is Palmer a good start this weekend given Pitt will not give up more than 60 yds rushing to Benson....or is it going to be a 13-7 snooze fest....thoughts?
Sometimes, in games like this, I like to start my analysis with Vegas. They have pitt a 4 point favorite with a 37 o/u. In other words, Vegas is predicting a 21-17 Steelers win. I think you are right that Pitt will key up to stop the run and the Bengals will have to throw it over the top. When the Bengals and Carson had some success against the Steelers, it was through going deep to Chad, TJ and especially Chris Henry.Henry has been injured but it sounds like he is getting back up to speed. I'd expect the Bengals to take multiple shots deep to him this week and I think at least one will work. Anyway, my best guess is that Palmer has 2 TDs, 1 INT and about 225 yards passing Sunday. That may or may not be start worthy depending on your other options.

I was in the minority last week when I thought Palmer was a good start. I started him over Garrard, and will do so this week. Bengals will have to pass to win, and the same with the Steelers. I like Palmer this week.

Until I see the Bengal WR's test the secondary and succeed...I am sitting Palmer.

Only downside of that is, I have to go with Cutler. :popcorn:

Went with Edwards last week and it was pretty much a wash, and I might stick with him in what should be a shootout against the Saints.

Sometimes, in games like this, I like to start my analysis with Vegas. They have pitt a 4 point favorite with a 37 o/u. In other words, Vegas is predicting a 21-17 Steelers win. I think you are right that Pitt will key up to stop the run and the Bengals will have to throw it over the top. When the Bengals and Carson had some success against the Steelers, it was through going deep to Chad, TJ and especially Chris Henry.Henry has been injured but it sounds like he is getting back up to speed. I'd expect the Bengals to take multiple shots deep to him this week and I think at least one will work. Anyway, my best guess is that Palmer has 2 TDs, 1 INT and about 225 yards passing Sunday. That may or may not be start worthy depending on your other options.
My other option is Joe Flacco who may seem like an easy start against the Browns, but I think that the Ravens will run for at least 200 yards with their 3 pronged attack this week and given they will be up by at least 2 TDs into the 3rd quarter, I expect a lot more rushing than passing in the 2nd half....so while the Ravens will score at least 25 to 30 this weekend, I am not sure it will translate to points for Flacco. Baltimore's weakness on D is their pass D and the Browns with Quinn are not going to throw on anyone.

Until I see the Bengal WR's test the secondary and succeed...I am sitting Palmer.Only downside of that is, I have to go with Cutler. :)
i'm goin with Cutler over Palmer as well. I think CIN/PIT will be a low scoring game
Seattle is banged up in their secondary (no Trufant; injured Ken Lucas) .... so Cutler should be successful. Not sure if the Bears will pass that much though given Seneca will most likely start and their LB Tatupu may be out too meaning lots of Forte this weekend (after seeing what Gore did to them).

I am thinking low scoring game too. Cincy defense will make it tough going for Pitt just like they did in their last meeting. Henry and TJ are the guys that always kill Pitt. TJ is gone and Henry barely plays for some reason.

I'm rolling with Edwards vs. NO in what will surely be a shootout....also going to sit 85 for Manningham

Despite his 4 combined TDs last week, he threw for less 200 yards. I don't see him throwing for that much more yardage against Pittsburgh, and he ain't gonna get that many TDs against the Steelers, so if you have a better option, he should probably be benched this week.

Until I see the Bengal WR's test the secondary and succeed...I am sitting Palmer.Only downside of that is, I have to go with Cutler. :hijacked:
What do you mean by test the secondary?Ocho is averaging 20 YPC
That's what worries me, take 85 out by double teams....Coles/Henry haven't shown me much. Cutler at least has options between Hester/Knox/Bennett and Olsen. They are likely to run more, but Cutler doesn't check down...I like him over Palmer this week.

My other option is Joe Flacco who may seem like an easy start against the Browns, but I think that the Ravens will run for at least 200 yards with their 3 pronged attack this week and given they will be up by at least 2 TDs into the 3rd quarter, I expect a lot more rushing than passing in the 2nd half....so while the Ravens will score at least 25 to 30 this weekend, I am not sure it will translate to points for Flacco. Baltimore's weakness on D is their pass D and the Browns with Quinn are not going to throw on anyone.
I think the QB on the team that scores 30 points is almost always a better fantasy start than the QB on the team that scores 13 points.

Until I see the Bengal WR's test the secondary and succeed...I am sitting Palmer.Only downside of that is, I have to go with Cutler. :coffee:
What do you mean by test the secondary?Ocho is averaging 20 YPC
That's what worries me, take 85 out by double teams....Coles/Henry haven't shown me much. Cutler at least has options between Hester/Knox/Bennett and Olsen. They are likely to run more, but Cutler doesn't check down...I like him over Palmer this week.
Double teaming Ocho is hardly a novel strategy. It hasn't worked for eight seasons so I don't see why it will start working now.I have no problem with you telling me that Cutler has a better match up and that he should be started ahead of Palmer this week based on that, but no way are Hester/Knox/Bennett & Olsen better options than Ocho, Coles, Henry & Caldwell. No way, no how, uh-uh.

Henry indicated that he has been dealing with a strained quad for the past four weeks, but said before Thursday's practice that he'd be full-go for the Bengals' workout, the team's official site reports. "It's been killing me. I can't really open up," Henry said. "I never had an injury like this...I don't want to miss any time."

Maybe not all weeks, but I like Hester/Knox/Bennet & Olsen better than double teamed Ocho hurt Henry, healthy Coles and Caldwell.. Yes way, yes how, yes yes

Henry indicated that he has been dealing with a strained quad for the past four weeks, but said before Thursday's practice that he'd be full-go for the Bengals' workout, the team's official site reports. "It's been killing me. I can't really open up," Henry said. "I never had an injury like this...I don't want to miss any time."Maybe not all weeks, but I like Hester/Knox/Bennet & Olsen better than double teamed Ocho hurt Henry, healthy Coles and Caldwell.. Yes way, yes how, yes yes
Double teamed Ocho is better with one hand tied behind his back than those four combined. Coles alone is better than any of those guys, the guy catches 70 passes a year over 9 years. I am amazed at how quickly the Shark Pool dismisses players after two games.So Henry is injured, that doesn't mean any of the Bears receivers are suddenly more talented then him just healthier for now.And for the record I would start Cutler at Seattle over Palmer v Pitt too. But don't tell me the Bears have a more talented receiving corps than the Bengals that's just crazy talk.

I like Palmer alot this week if you noticed Pitt has a horable secondary and Palmer will hit the quick outs /slants and that will open up a deep pass to Henry and ocho. PLAY PALMER...

On the other side of the ball pick up the Bengals def and play them agaisnt that weak pitt o-lone .Bengals will go on and win this game 24-13

Pitt has the most easy shedule in the league this year. And I can tell you they are the most OVERATED team ..Dont be afraid to pick up that bengals D and DONT sit palmer if you have him....

I like Palmer alot this week if you noticed Pitt has a horable secondary and Palmer will hit the quick outs /slants and that will open up a deep pass to Henry and ocho. PLAY PALMER...On the other side of the ball pick up the Bengals def and play them agaisnt that weak pitt o-lone .Bengals will go on and win this game 24-13Pitt has the most easy shedule in the league this year. And I can tell you they are the most OVERATED team ..Dont be afraid to pick up that bengals D and DONT sit palmer if you have him....
Wow! Someone really hates the Steelers.

I like Palmer alot this week if you noticed Pitt has a horable secondary and Palmer will hit the quick outs /slants and that will open up a deep pass to Henry and ocho. PLAY PALMER...On the other side of the ball pick up the Bengals def and play them agaisnt that weak pitt o-lone .Bengals will go on and win this game 24-13Pitt has the most easy shedule in the league this year. And I can tell you they are the most OVERATED team ..Dont be afraid to pick up that bengals D and DONT sit palmer if you have him....
I am inclined to be wary of the Steelers too but honestly they have not looked dominant on defense since Troy went out in week 1. And that offensive line looks like it is going to get Big Ben killed.I think Big Ben, as long as he is upright, should pull out any game if they are within one score late in the 4th but this Steelers team does look vulnerable.I am not confident that this Bengals team is ready to give the Steelers what for but if they are going to make some noise in the division this season a home game against their biggest rival is the time to do it.You should still sit Palmer if you have better options.

lol dont hate them .. just calling it the way I see it. pitt has a great run def but after that they are very avg. and there o-line is below avg .this is the reason if you have Palmer you play him.and if the bengals can sack rodgers over and over pick up there def pitts line is much worse. bengals should be 2-0 if it werent for a fluke stokley catch. there a pretty good team believe it or not.Ok I dont like the Steelers much but facts are facts ...this game gos to the Bengals.

lol dont hate them .. just calling it the way I see it. pitt has a great run def but after that they are very avg. and there o-line is below avg .this is the reason if you have Palmer you play him.and if the bengals can sack rodgers over and over pick up there def pitts line is much worse. bengals should be 2-0 if it werent for a fluke stokley catch. there a pretty good team believe it or not.Ok I dont like the Steelers much but facts are facts ...this game gos to the Bengals.
If you are stating that the Steelers pass defense is made weaker by the absence of Polamalu, that's one thing. They are indeed 19th in passing defense right now. (Of course, that's only 8 yards more per game than the Bengals pass defense is allowing.) And I do think Palmer will have some success. He knows the Steelers defense better than just about any QB and uses those smarts, his ability, and his receivers well.But I'm not sure the Steelers pass defense is average: last season, they had the number one ranked pass defense, and it wasn't even close, allowing 156.9 ypg, nearly 23 yards less than the second best team. And that is despite having the #2 ranked run defense, so it was not a situation in which teams didn't try or need to pass.By the way, Pittsburgh's offensive line is reasonable at pass blocking (although pretty atrocious at run-blocking), although I suppose they can lose a tackle to injury just like GB did.I think the Bengals may have finally stopped wasting their talent and could be back as a winning team this season, but I'm going to wait another few weeks before I consider them among the Super Bowl favorites.Pittsburgh may be overrated by some, but I noticed that very few "experts" predicted the Steelers to go back to the Super Bowl. They were well behind the Patriots and Chargers in that category alongside the Ravens. Should be a very good game.We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
palmer will isolate against the FS. just as cutler did last week in the red zone.

only issue is we haven't had a good gauge of the bengal's oline. if it can hold up, palmer will be good.

Cutler was playing real conservative last week and still managed 200+ yards and 2 TDs. Which is why I feel Palmer will have a nice day. I keep going back to the Titans game. Kerry Collins looked real good in that game in the 2nd half; even a rookie like Britt got himself a nice game against that Pitt D without Polamalu. Gage was wide open for the TD.

palmer will isolate against the FS. just as cutler did last week in the red zone.only issue is we haven't had a good gauge of the bengal's oline. if it can hold up, palmer will be good.
Did you mean to say strong safety? Both TD passes were to receivers being covered by Tyrone Carter -- Polamalu's backup at strong safety.If I was the Bengals, I would see if Carter can cover better than he did against Chicago rather than going after either CB or free safety Ryan Clark.

Both QBs in this game are vulnerable due to weak OL's and what will be relentless pass rush from both sides. Last QB standing will have a 30+ fantasy point day. The Bengals gameplan against the Steelers will be to use the deep ball quite often. If the OL gives him time he will have a good day.

Chaka said:
NYCGangGreen said:
Double teaming Ocho is hardly a novel strategy. It hasn't worked for eight seasons so I don't see why it will start working now.I have no problem with you telling me that Cutler has a better match up and that he should be started ahead of Palmer this week based on that, but no way are Hester/Knox/Bennett & Olsen better options than Ocho, Coles, Henry & Caldwell. No way, no how, uh-uh.
In the past the Steelers have assigned CB Ike Taylor to Ocho and have not double teamed him. I don't know what they'll do this week but Taylor has done a pretty good job containing Ocho.

In an interview this week, Chad said everyone will pay for doubting him and he'll make Ike kiss the baby. I like Chad this week. He's playing like his old self, and without Troy P. on his deep routes, I'll take a healthy determined Chad every day, especially on Sunday.

Mud

After reading everyones post, I'm questioning the weather as rain is expected. This may make a big decision on who to start. For example: do you start Favre because he is playing in a dome or Palmer playing the Steelers with expected rain?

baldbird said:
I like Palmer alot this week if you noticed Pitt has a horable secondary and Palmer will hit the quick outs /slants and that will open up a deep pass to Henry and ocho. PLAY PALMER...
The good thing for Palmer is the Pitt D atleast has to respect the run, cant say the same for the Bengals D on the Pitt running game.

baldbird said:
The good thing for Palmer is the Pitt D atleast has to respect the run, cant say the same for the Bengals D on the Pitt running game.
The Steelers defense always pays attention to the run in efforts to make the opposing offense one-dimensional. Not a big deal here. Plenty of reasons to see upside for Palmer, but this is not really one of them. Plus, the Steelers ability or inability to run doesn't really help Palmer unless you believe the entire Steelers offense struggles in which case it would be logical to slightly downgrade Palmer as he won't need to throw much in an easy Bengals victory.

baldbird said:
The Jerk said:
baldbird said:
The Steelers line may not be good but I think Green Bay may have the worst line in the league right now. The line was playing horrendous before they lost Chad Clifton...

Chaka said:
NYCGangGreen said:
In the past the Steelers have assigned CB Ike Taylor to Ocho and have not double teamed him. I don't know what they'll do this week but Taylor has done a pretty good job containing Ocho.
Yeah I think you posted that in the Ocho thread I started a few day s ago_Ocho has had two amazing games vs. Pitt both were @ Pitt and both times Kitna was the starting QB.With Palmer at QB Ocho averages something like 4 catches for 55 yards and 0.1 scores per game at home vs Pitt.

Chunky Soup said:
Ugh, mulling Palmer v. Garrard v. Sanchez. Was leaning towards Garrard but considering Palmer now...
My three amigos exactly. I am going with Palmer.

Chaka said:
Chaka said:
NYCGangGreen said:
Yeah I think you posted that in the Ocho thread I started a few day s ago_Ocho has had two amazing games vs. Pitt both were @ Pitt and both times Kitna was the starting QB.With Palmer at QB Ocho averages something like 4 catches for 55 yards and 0.1 scores per game at home vs Pitt.
History does mean something....that's why I'm starting Mario over 85

Chaka said:
Chaka said:
NYCGangGreen said:
History does mean something....that's why I'm starting Mario over 85
Past performance is not indicative of future returns.Particularly in a game like football where all it takes is one blown coverage to turn a mediocre performance into a monster.

In one league making the decision of starting Brees over Carson (hoping that Carson will make good trade bait mid-season). In my main dynasty league, have to choose between Warner, Carson, and Ryan... I've been going with Warner for over a season and a half now regardless of matchups, so I think I think I'll stick with what works (although with Ryan and Carson both looking very good, things might start getting interesting, which kind of sucks).

Tibetan Sherpa said:
Answer: Fool's Gold. I'm one of the fools. Shame on me.
Maybe not. The fantasy numbers are not great but they are not bad either and that was a very gutty win by Cinci. I think there is every reason to be optimistic going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread