What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charles Johnson - WR Grand Valley State (1 Viewer)

Charles Johnson is not making the team. The kid has done nothing impressive in camp beyond run a fast 40, even before his injury. He's an ideal candidate for the practice squad.

Most of the reports from the beat writers were that he looked soft when he did play, comparing him to guys like Heyward-Bey. Sure, they got the physical tools, but you don't do very well in this league unless your effort is 100% every play and you fight for balls, and you run routes well. Heyward-Bey wouldn't even make the roster for the Packers and neither will Charles Johnson. I'd take Boykin and Tyrone Walker over either of them.

If someone else grabs him off waivers, then chalk it up to TT being an awesome drafter and consider our fortunes for the players we do have. Funny how teams fight over TT's cut scraps every year.
DHB wouldn't make the roster over Boykin and Walker? That's completely nonsensical. While it seems you feel you're the Packer Authority around here, who you would take has nothing to do with what the Packers are planning to do here. Every Packer related thread that's started in the Pool has you throwing around certainties like you're Ted Thompson or something... we could do without that. The line between your opinion and fact isn't as fine as you make it out to be in your posts.
Well... how many times have I been dead wrong? My opinions are nearly verbatim from the beat writers (Vic, Spofford, McGinn). I'm usually regurgitating their opinions because I agree with them, and I give them credit whenever appropriate.

We'll see what happens. Short of some miraculous turn-around in the next week or a significant injury, I'm certain Charles Johnson doesn't make the final 53. It's a given he'll last through the first round of cuts because he's healthy now and has 4-7 days to show them what he can do. Less talented guys that make plays (and actually catch the ball) will make the team over a pure physical specimen. There's a reason he dropped to the bottom of the 7th in the draft. Teams don't miss out guys with his physical tools - they knew about him and avoided him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles Johnson is not making the team. The kid has done nothing impressive in camp beyond run a fast 40, even before his injury. He's an ideal candidate for the practice squad.

Most of the reports from the beat writers were that he looked soft when he did play, comparing him to guys like Heyward-Bey. Sure, they got the physical tools, but you don't do very well in this league unless your effort is 100% every play and you fight for balls, and you run routes well. Heyward-Bey wouldn't even make the roster for the Packers and neither will Charles Johnson. I'd take Boykin and Tyrone Walker over either of them.

If someone else grabs him off waivers, then chalk it up to TT being an awesome drafter and consider our fortunes for the players we do have. Funny how teams fight over TT's cut scraps every year.
DHB wouldn't make the roster over Boykin and Walker? That's completely nonsensical. While it seems you feel you're the Packer Authority around here, who you would take has nothing to do with what the Packers are planning to do here. Every Packer related thread that's started in the Pool has you throwing around certainties like you're Ted Thompson or something... we could do without that. The line between your opinion and fact isn't as fine as you make it out to be in your posts.
Well... how many times have I been dead wrong? My opinions are nearly verbatim from the beat writers (Vic, Spofford, McGinn). I'm usually regurgitating their opinions because I agree with them, and I give them credit whenever appropriate.

We'll see what happens. Short of some miraculous turn-around in the next week or a significant injury, I'm certain Charles Johnson doesn't make the final 53. It's a given he'll last through the first round of cuts because he's healthy now and has 4-7 days to show them what he can do. Less talented guys that make plays (and actually catch the ball) will make the team over a pure physical specimen. There's a reason he dropped to the bottom of the 7th in the draft. Teams don't miss out guys with his physical tools - they knew about him and avoided him.
And what about the reason the Packers drafted him in the 7th round?

He's got the small school excuse going for him. The same thing that helped Cruz and Colston fall through the cracks.

I'm not totally sold on him though. He looks a little knock-kneed and awkward to me. The only reason that I've considered him is because of his outstanding height/weight/speed/jumps numbers. I got him as a waiver pickup in one league and would like to see what I have. The problem is that I don't think he'll really get on the field this year and I probably can't justify hanging onto him for another 12 months without being able to gauge him.

If he gets the victor cruz treatment, ir stash and re evaluate next may.

If he gets exposed to waivers i am cutting him and taking another flier.

I'd be surprised if he made it through waivers to the PS.

I could foresee a team like the Raiders or Chargers claiming him if the Packers try and do that.
Lions are desperate for WR help. He went to school locally. Wouldn't be surprised if they picked him up.
Don't think he'd make it past the Chiefs. But Panthers, Lions, 49ers, and Raiders could all use him.
I'd be interested if he went to Baltimore.

He got some snaps. No targets that I can recall.

Looked like he has some speed. That's about all you could tell from the tiny sample size.

(Rotoworld) Packers signed WR Charles Johnson to the practice squad. Analysis: Johnson is a height-weight-speed freak, but he suffered a sprained MCL in June and took too long to recover.

Rotoworld:

Browns signed WR Charles Johnson.
Johnson, a seventh-round pick in this year's draft, suffered a sprained MCL in June and spent the first five weeks on Green Bay's practice squad. He'll immediately step in as Cleveland's No. 5 receiver and should push for playing time in four-wide sets.

Rotoworld:

Johnson, a seventh-round pick in this year's draft, suffered a sprained MCL in June and spent the first five weeks on Green Bay's practice squad. He'll immediately step in as Cleveland's No. 5 receiver and should push for playing time in four-wide sets.
Rotoworld:

Um, Green Bay plays Cleveland next week.

Just sayin'. :cool:

Rotoworld:

Rotoworld:

Um, Green Bay plays Cleveland next week.Just sayin'. :cool:
practice squad rookie that missed most of camp, doubt the idea is to add him for schematic advantage.

Disappointing news, I was expecting the Packers to add him to the active roster soon since they only have 4 WR's.

Certainly would have preferred him to stay in green bay. But hope he sees the field soon, held onto him in our 32 team league

Wow what horrible luck for the kid ... Cobb and JaJo both down ... CJ had to be better than what Boykin showed

Also of note two wks before Browns can acquire 53rd player, because of signing off GB practice squad
Well its not like CJ was going to start or get significant or any noticeable playing time with the Browns anytime soon but he might be a decent long-term developmental guy.

Now the Browns get him and can go shopping on other team's practice squads in a couple of weeks.

Considering Johnson will heal in time and wasn't signed to provide immediate help and was likely signed for next season and the team can now find another developmental guy. It could be seen as a negative for Charles Johnson but if he had an ACL injury he wouldn't see the field in Green Bay and they are loaded at wide reciever so getting claimed by the Browns is a positive for him in the long run.

The injury doesn't hurt the Browns because he would not likely see the field, or much of it, this year so now they get him and can go sign another guy from some team's practice squad or they could promote someone from their own practice squad or sign a free agent who is sitting out there. The only negative is having to wait two weeks so if you look at it practically the Browns paid the price of waiting two weeks for WR Charles Johnson which seems like a bargain. :moneybag:

It seems that the Packers are lamenting the one that got away.

Packers head coach Mike McCarthy comments on WR Charles Johnson signing with Browns instead of staying with Packers.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=23921

The Browns intend to keep receiver Charles Johnson, the Green Bay practice squad player who showed up with a torn ACL and will have surgery.

The Packers were not happy that Johnson agreed to a Browns contract without giving the Packers a chance to match or better the offer.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy made some interesting comments about Johnson in Green Bay on Friday.

McCarthy said, “Charles Johnson, fine young man. Wish he was still here. Obviously, a young man we drafted and was injured during training camp. I’m very curious to see how this pans out. I don’t know if all the facts are in yet. Obviously he was under our care and was acquired by Cleveland. That’s probably all I should say. He works for the Browns right now.”

Chudzinski said, “We didn’t know anything about (the injury), so from that standpoint, it was a surprise. He’s a developing player that has some potential. It’s unfortunate. He’s going to have his surgery next week, and we’ll get him ready and we’ll see where he’s at down the road.”

I don't understand why Green Bay didn't place him on IR instead of the practice squad?

Have the browns put him on IR yet?

I'm calling that he makes the Browns 53 man roster next year. With their receiving corp ex Gordon that's not a stretch...

I don't understand why Green Bay didn't place him on IR instead of the practice squad?

Have the browns put him on IR yet?
Green Bay didn't know the extent of his injury. They thought it was a sprain so they didn't scope the injury to discover the tear.

When teams claim players off other team's practice squads they are not allowed to do medical examinations before they make the claim.

The Browns claimed him and then they did a standard medical exam and found the tear.

------

Per not placing WR Charles Johnson on IR, the Browns CAN'T for three weeks.

Its in the fine print of the NFL rules. If a team claims a player from another team's practice squad they HAVE to keep him on their ACTIVE ROSTER FOR THREE WEEKS.

Doesn't matter if the player is injured as Johnson is, or any other issues. The team has to keep him on the ACTIVE roster for three weeks.

That is an incredibly inexpensive price, keeping the last spot on your roster open for three weeks, for a player like CJ IMHO.

Its in the fine print of the NFL rules. If a team claims a player from another team's practice squad they HAVE to keep him on their ACTIVE ROSTER FOR THREE WEEKS.
Good to know. I've always wondered why more players aren't snatched up from other teams' PS.

"When teams claim players off other team's practice squads they are not allowed to do medical examinations before they make the claim"

What is the reason for this?

"When teams claim players off other team's practice squads they are not allowed to do medical examinations before they make the claim"

What is the reason for this?
Hey FUBAR,

CORRECTION

According to Ted Sunquist, their is nothing in the rules stating a team cannot conduct pre-signing medical evaluations for practice squad players in an article he wrote about the CJ signing. Um, Ted has a long standing feud with Mike Lombardi so his article is slanted to attack the Browns so he leaves out some things.

Ted rips into the Browns for not having the bottom spot on their roster for three weeks.

Um, ok. Doesn't seem like a big deal but he wrote an antire article where the only point is to point that out and say it was a ROOKIE MISTAKE!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the world is ending the Browns don't have that 53rd player for three weeks, hide the women and children, the world is at an end, rivers of lava, brimstone falling from the sky, cats and dogs living together, madness. Yeah, take a pill Teddy.

Packers blew a spot on their practice squad for months because they didn't catch the torn ACL in the first place bui Ted doesn't say a word about that, hmmm I wonder why? The Pack could and should have had surgery when it happened in the summer and they would free a practice squad spot or had a healthy WR to bring up to their roster now when they need him but they screwed up by not catching the injury in the first place yet Ted's lips are sealed on that glaring point.

The Packers had the guy practicing on a torn ACL for months where he could have hurt himself even worse. If CJ had further injured himself who would be responsible for that error? The Packers and they'd be responsible for an injury settlement but Ted doesn't say jot about that.

Also the way this went down, especially the way that McCarthy mentions "Obviously, a young man we drafted and was injured during training camp. I’m very curious to see how this pans out. I don’t know if all the facts are in yet. Obviously he was under our care and was acquired by Cleveland. That’s probably all I should say/" It sounds like he is hinting at something. I'm almost thinking the Browns did find out about the injury but signed him anyway and now they will place him on 'RESERVE NON-FOOTBALL INJURY' list which means they are NOT RESPONSIBLE for any part of his salary. Something odd is afoot about his injury. Maybe he hurt himself off the fiield and was hiding it from the Packers, I dunno but in any event Green Bay should have caught it since the guy was practing at their facility and was taking up a spot on their practice squad.

No matter how the injury happened or what McCarthy was hinting at or Ted Sunquist's agenda, the Browns get Charles Johnson. They get a player like WR Charles Johnson and they don't have to compete for him with free agent dollars or use a draft selection, they only have to keep open the 53rd apot for three weeks. An incredibly inexpensive price to pay no matter what Sunquist says.

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/clarifying-erroneous-reports-cleveland-browns-charles-johnson/

CBSSports.com would follow up;Because Johnson was a practice squad player with another team, the Browns were unable to give him a physical until after they signed him. ***WRONG*** Since Cleveland signed Johnson from the Packers practice squad, the Browns are now stuck with him for at least two more weeks. Per NFL rules, a player that’s signed off another team’s practice squad has to be a part of the new team’s 53-man roster for at least three games.

There’s NOTHING in the handbook stating a club is prohibited from giving a player a physical prior to signing him to their roster. They’re only forbidden to put the player through a “tryout”. In fact it states any player on a club’s Practice Squad remains a free agent, and 99.9% of free agent signings are accompanied with a contingency of “passing the club’s physical”.

The more likely scenario was Cleveland was in a hurry to fill the roster opening, get him immediately out on the practice field, and pushed the signing through the process (perhaps to keep Green Bay from blocking it) without completing their most primary obligation; ensuring the acquired player is healthy.

... – The Browns made a ROOKIE mistake by a front office that should know better, and to try and spin that they might have wanted the player anyway, or that the Packers hid the injury is just that… pure spin. The Browns weren’t obligated to be stuck with an injured player. Had they followed normal protocol and given him a physical BEFORE signing (as they fully had the right to do), he would have reverted back to the Packers and been their problem to deal with.

Rotoworld:

Browns WR Charles Johnson (knee) is expected to be ready for training camp.
Johnson was signed off the Packers' practice squad in October. When given his physical, the Browns discovered he had a torn ACL. The 2013 seventh-rounder passes the eye test at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds with 4.38 wheels. With nothing set in stone behind Josh Gordon and Andrew Hawkins on the receiver depth chart, Johnson could be a player to monitor again this summer.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Rotoworld:

Johnson was signed off the Packers' practice squad in October. When given his physical, the Browns discovered he had a torn ACL. The 2013 seventh-rounder passes the eye test at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds with 4.38 wheels. With nothing set in stone behind Josh Gordon and Andrew Hawkins on the receiver depth chart, Johnson could be a player to monitor again this summer.

If this guy is anything as advertised. I could easily wait until the 3rd round to be looking for an additional WR in this years draft.

Rotoworld:

If this guy is anything as advertised. I could easily wait until the 3rd round to be looking for an additional WR in this years draft.
I feel the same about Brian Quick and Aaron Mellotte.

Rotoworld:

Second-year WR Charles Johnson (ACL surgery) is working on the side with trainers at Browns pre-draft minicamp.
We're keeping tabs on Johnson because he's a physical freak with 4.39 wheels and an insane 11-foot-1 broad jump. The Browns also have an opening at No. 2 wideout, although they may address it early in May's draft. Johnson tore his ACL sometime between June and October of last year. He's 6'2/215.

Source: Elyria Chronicle-Telegram

Opportunity is knocking...

Josh Gordon's 1 year suspension has opened the door for a bigger role for Charles Johnson!

Saw this pop up on twitter.... :popcorn:

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/03/is-this-man-the-next-miles-austin-or-marques-colston/ (link for pretty pictures and easier to reach charts of breakdown with other players)

IS THIS MAN THE NEXT MILES AUSTIN OR MARQUES COLSTON? By: Jon Moore Follow Jon Moore on Twitter

Every few years a player comes out of nowhere to take the NFL by storm. It’s become a fact of NFL life. Consider Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston; one minute they’re as anonymous as the clerk at your local grocery store, the next minute they are plastered on TVs across the country. The question isn’t whether or not it will happen again. The question is, “where will the next guy come from?”

Here’s a guess: Elsmere, Kentucky.

That is the hometown of 2013 wide receiver prospect Charles Johnson. Over the last few years, Johnson has been difficult to track, both on the field and off. After his high school playing days in Elsmere, he spent a year at Eastern Kentucky before getting suspended and transferring to Antelope Valley Community College in California. He ended up at Grand Valley State in Michigan and has done nothing but dominate for the last two seasons. (GVSU was the proving grounds for Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly and Tennessee’s Butch Jones).

We’ll get to the production in a second. The real reason Johnson landed on anyone’s radar was his pro-day where he skyrocketed (literally) into elite company. If you combine his Vertical Jump and his Broad Jump numbers, you get 172.5”. Fewer than 8% of wide receivers eclipse the 170” figure and even fewer do it at 6’2’’ and in the 215-225lb range. Consider this rarified class of historical freaks:

Player Name - Ht - Wt - 40 - Bench - Vjump - Bjump - Explosion - Shuttle - 3cone - Agility

Julio Jones - 74.8 - 220 - 4.34 - 17 - 38.5 - 135 - 173.5 - 4.25 - 6.66 - 10.91

Charles Johnson - 74 - 215 - 4.38 - 14 - 39.5 - 133 - 172.5 - 4.31 - 6.96 - 11.27

Stephen Hill - 76 -215 - 4.28 - 14 - 134 - 39.5 - 133 - 172.5 - 4.48 - 6.88 - 11.36

You don’t need me to tell you how good Julio or Dez are. They’ll probably be among the first five wide receivers drafted in your fantasy football league. In case you’re curious about Stephen Hill, I’ll point you to this article about his likelihood of following in the footsteps of fellow Georgia Tech wide receivers Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. But back to Johnson—HOLY COW! What an impressive workout! But what if I told you that his production was equally amazing? Consider how he stacks up to other wide receivers that came from similarly obscure college teams:

Player - College - selection - team - Ht - Wt - MS Yards - MS TD - Rec TD - ypc

VJackson - N.CO - 61 - SD - 76.8 - 241 - 56.1% - 84.6% - 11 - 17.3

CJohnson - GVSt - ?? - tba - 74 - 215 - 42.5% - 57.1% - 16 - 16.7

Miles Austin - Monm - UND - 74.1 - 215 - 41.7% - 52.4% - 11 - 13.9

*MS= Market Share of teams total yards or touchdowns

V-Jax, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston have all posted elite seasons in the NFL. As you can read here, I think Brian Quick will soon join that class of premium receivers. So the only riddle left to solve is Grand Valley State WR Charles Johnson.

I was so intrigued by his workout that I actually visited the GVSU website to watch game recap highlights. On at least two occassions he showed ball skills that left my jaw on the floor, in addition to the many other ‘good’ catches. He certainly passes the eye test.

Johnson is a physical freak and a dominant producer. The third, and maybe most critical, piece of the equation is where he will get drafted. Yes, it would seem that a troubled past landed him in Allendale, Michigan rather than SEC country, but given his measurables, don’t you think somebody will take a chance on him? If and when that happens, Johnson will move near the top of my rookies-to-watch list. The ingredients are there. All he needs is a chance. See and believe…

About this original article...

The Stephen Hill comparison is not so rosy anymore.

And simply comparing him to Vince Jackson and Miles Austin because they went to No. CO and Monmouth while he went to Grand Valley (which is becoming better known, the Saints have signed at least two players from there recently...) is a stretch.

Obviously opportunity is knocking though. Some pretty mediocre WRs have had good FF seasons because there was no one else on the team to take advantage.

Question: what was the nature of his injury and is it possible he could be limited as a result?

Saw this pop up on twitter.... :popcorn:

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/03/is-this-man-the-next-miles-austin-or-marques-colston/ (link for pretty pictures and easier to reach charts of breakdown with other players)

IS THIS MAN THE NEXT MILES AUSTIN OR MARQUES COLSTON? By: Jon Moore Follow Jon Moore on Twitter

Every few years a player comes out of nowhere to take the NFL by storm. It’s become a fact of NFL life. Consider Kurt Warner, Antonio Gates, Vincent Jackson, Victor Cruz, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston; one minute they’re as anonymous as the clerk at your local grocery store, the next minute they are plastered on TVs across the country. The question isn’t whether or not it will happen again. The question is, “where will the next guy come from?”

Here’s a guess: Elsmere, Kentucky.

That is the hometown of 2013 wide receiver prospect Charles Johnson. Over the last few years, Johnson has been difficult to track, both on the field and off. After his high school playing days in Elsmere, he spent a year at Eastern Kentucky before getting suspended and transferring to Antelope Valley Community College in California. He ended up at Grand Valley State in Michigan and has done nothing but dominate for the last two seasons. (GVSU was the proving grounds for Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly and Tennessee’s Butch Jones).

We’ll get to the production in a second. The real reason Johnson landed on anyone’s radar was his pro-day where he skyrocketed (literally) into elite company. If you combine his Vertical Jump and his Broad Jump numbers, you get 172.5”. Fewer than 8% of wide receivers eclipse the 170” figure and even fewer do it at 6’2’’ and in the 215-225lb range. Consider this rarified class of historical freaks:

Player Name - Ht - Wt - 40 - Bench - Vjump - Bjump - Explosion - Shuttle - 3cone - Agility

Julio Jones - 74.8 - 220 - 4.34 - 17 - 38.5 - 135 - 173.5 - 4.25 - 6.66 - 10.91

Charles Johnson - 74 - 215 - 4.38 - 14 - 39.5 - 133 - 172.5 - 4.31 - 6.96 - 11.27

Stephen Hill - 76 -215 - 4.28 - 14 - 134 - 39.5 - 133 - 172.5 - 4.48 - 6.88 - 11.36

You don’t need me to tell you how good Julio or Dez are. They’ll probably be among the first five wide receivers drafted in your fantasy football league. In case you’re curious about Stephen Hill, I’ll point you to this article about his likelihood of following in the footsteps of fellow Georgia Tech wide receivers Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas. But back to Johnson—HOLY COW! What an impressive workout! But what if I told you that his production was equally amazing? Consider how he stacks up to other wide receivers that came from similarly obscure college teams:

Player - College - selection - team - Ht - Wt - MS Yards - MS TD - Rec TD - ypc

VJackson - N.CO - 61 - SD - 76.8 - 241 - 56.1% - 84.6% - 11 - 17.3

CJohnson - GVSt - ?? - tba - 74 - 215 - 42.5% - 57.1% - 16 - 16.7

Miles Austin - Monm - UND - 74.1 - 215 - 41.7% - 52.4% - 11 - 13.9

*MS= Market Share of teams total yards or touchdowns

V-Jax, Miles Austin, and Marques Colston have all posted elite seasons in the NFL. As you can read here, I think Brian Quick will soon join that class of premium receivers. So the only riddle left to solve is Grand Valley State WR Charles Johnson.

I was so intrigued by his workout that I actually visited the GVSU website to watch game recap highlights. On at least two occassions he showed ball skills that left my jaw on the floor, in addition to the many other ‘good’ catches. He certainly passes the eye test.

Johnson is a physical freak and a dominant producer. The third, and maybe most critical, piece of the equation is where he will get drafted. Yes, it would seem that a troubled past landed him in Allendale, Michigan rather than SEC country, but given his measurables, don’t you think somebody will take a chance on him? If and when that happens, Johnson will move near the top of my rookies-to-watch list. The ingredients are there. All he needs is a chance. See and believe…

It was a torn ACL if I remember correctly. Players come back a lot better now than before, but odds were already against him prior to the ACL so it really is a lot of up hill running for him.

Rotoworld:

Browns second-year WR Charles Johnson (knee) hasn't been participating in OTAs.
Johnson tore his ACL last summer at some point, though it went undiscovered until an October physical for the Browns. He has a golden opportunity to earn major playing time with Josh Gordon facing a lengthy suspension, but Johnson can't stay off the trainer's table. He's a height-weight-speed freak at 6-foot-2 and 215 pounds with 4.39 jets. Johnson will compete for a roster spot in camp.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Charles Johnson - WR - Browns

Browns coach Mike Pettine is optimistic WR Charles Johnson (ACL surgery) will be healed in time for training camp.

"Those two would be the only ones that potentially could start (camp) on PUP," Pettine said, grouping Johnson with WR/PR Travis Benjamin (ACL). "But at this point, I think it looks pretty good that theyll both be able to start training camp." Johnson is believed to have torn his ACL last June, though it wasn't discovered until October. That delay set back his recovery. He's a super-deep sleeper.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

May 28 - 8:03 PM

Users who are viewing this thread