What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (8 Viewers)

Couldn't hate the pick more. Should have gotten more to move down, should have stayed put and taken Carter, should have taken Skoronski if they were locked into OL. 2nd worst pick of the draft so far in my eyes.
Agree. Wright might be a good tackle for years to come, but boy the Bears had it perfectly lined up and they screwed it up. After the trade was announced, I actually thought CHI would take Gonzalez, which would have been OK.

If they really liked Wright that much, why not trade down to 15 or so? Wright would have been available at 15.

You would think that the Bears could have received a better offer for the 9 than just a 4th rounder next year.
I hate passing on maybe the best defensive player in the draft for a decent OT prospect. But its picking Wright that bothers me more than the small haul trading down. Just don't see what makes him special. He was only good for 1 year in college, and it was in a very gimmicky offense, where his job was often easier than most OTs. I see literally zero case for him over Skoronski other than a silly arm length argument.

I had Wright in the 20's as OT4, and saw a guy who is a RT, and maybe even better served inside. Tye one positive I will say, is he's best suited for a run heavy offense, so in theory, he fits, but at #10...ugh. I think it was one of the 5 worst picks of day 1.

Solid pick addressing a big hole and need!

Guys... Let's let Poles do his work and let it play out... I'm just SO grateful we don't have Pace making these picks as he would drafted an obscure TE with that first pick!! 😂
You don't feel like we just had another Aaron Donald situation?
How was this like the 2014 draft? I remember Donald being in consideration for the Bears but the Rams scooped them at 13. Donald was initially pegged to be a 4-5 rounder because he was undersized. But he was a high motor guy with great character and moved up the boards late. Kind of opposite of Carter.
I just meant a big time DT that would have worked for us going one spot ahead of us. The situation, not the player.
Gotcha. I think this team had different priorities than the 2013 Bears. In 2013 the Bears were in the bottom of sacks allowed ranked 28th compared to 4th last year. OL is a huge need.

D sucks too so a stud DE would be great, but IF Fields is their franchise QB (big if in my mind), they have to do better to protect him. The biggest thing I don't like about Wright is that despite his size, athleticism, and good Senior Bowl and Combine, he has been criticized as lazy and not a hard worker. Don't really like that, but he was clearly the guy the Bears wanted at a position of need, so have to see if it plays out.

Couldn't hate the pick more. Should have gotten more to move down, should have stayed put and taken Carter, should have taken Skoronski if they were locked into OL. 2nd worst pick of the draft so far in my eyes.
Agree. Wright might be a good tackle for years to come, but boy the Bears had it perfectly lined up and they screwed it up. After the trade was announced, I actually thought CHI would take Gonzalez, which would have been OK.

If they really liked Wright that much, why not trade down to 15 or so? Wright would have been available at 15.

You would think that the Bears could have received a better offer for the 9 than just a 4th rounder next year.
I hate passing on maybe the best defensive player in the draft for a decent OT prospect. But its picking Wright that bothers me more than the small haul trading down. Just don't see what makes him special. He was only good for 1 year in college, and it was in a very gimmicky offense, where his job was often easier than most OTs. I see literally zero case for him over Skoronski other than a silly arm length argument.

I had Wright in the 20's as OT4, and saw a guy who is a RT, and maybe even better served inside. Tye one positive I will say, is he's best suited for a run heavy offense, so in theory, he fits, but at #10...ugh. I think it was one of the 5 worst picks of day 1.
That's the thing... It's not only passing on Carter, it's also passing on the consensus best OL in the draft as well! Ok, you want to prioritize protecting Fields over helping the D line. I can live with that. So we're in such a great spot we've got the top o lineman there for us. Lucky us. Ehhhh not so fast.....we're the Bears remember. The double whammy makes the pick worse than just a regular botch.

Imagine the uproar when the Bears simply take Wright at #9 over Carter, which is exactly what they were going to do. At least they got something from Philly. Really clear that Poles targeted Wright and that they felt that the Titans did too. Just have to trust Poles is doing his job and evaluating talent instead of just going off Mel Kiper's board.

I like the pick by Poles. Until they protect JF1 from getting sacked, it doesn't matter how good the defense is. Figure out the OL and how to protect their own QB, and then worry about getting after opposing QB's through the DL.

Jalen Carter has proven to be a problem and one I don't think Poles wanted to deal with. He's full of talent, but has also shown he's full of stupidity as well. Not sure the latter can fixed.

I like the pick by Poles. Until they protect JF1 from getting sacked, it doesn't matter how good the defense is. Figure out the OL and how to protect their own QB, and then worry about getting after opposing QB's through the DL.

Jalen Carter has proven to be a problem and one I don't think Poles wanted to deal with. He's full of talent, but has also shown he's full of stupidity as well. Not sure the latter can fixed.
Disagree with this thinking. I'm not even sure I trust Fields as a big time qb so no way am I ignoring my defense just for him. He hasn't proven it to me at all. No way. At least with a solid D I can still compete every week.

The Bears need help on both sides of the line. So while Wright definitely fills a need, I would rather get the best player with the most upside, and that's Carter. Sure he's a bigger risk, but you would be getting a discount on him, since he should have been a top 4 pick.

The problem I have is that they could have traded back a 5 or so spots and still picked Wright.

The Bears need help on both sides of the line. So while Wright definitely fills a need, I would rather get the best player with the most upside, and that's Carter. Sure he's a bigger risk, but you would be getting a discount on him, since he should have been a top 4 pick.

The problem I have is that they could have traded back a 5 or so spots and still picked Wright.
And even if they thought the Titans would take Wright, who cares? He's not some generational OT prospect. They just take someone else.

I'm a lot more bothered by taking Wright than passing on Carter. Hopefully they can make smarter picks today.

And even if they thought the Titans would take Wright, who cares? He's not some generational OT prospect. They just take someone else.
Wright was the number one OL on Poles' board. He is now tied to him and Claypool more than any two players this season.

Disagree with this thinking. I'm not even sure I trust Fields as a big time qb so no way am I ignoring my defense just for him. He hasn't proven it to me at all. No way. At least with a solid D I can still compete every week.
Fields is definitely not a sure thing, but the upside is undeniable and he’s shown glimpses of greatness throughout last year.

Fact is, the Bears are in a full scale rebuild. Offensive side of the ball has the most upside in the short term, so make sense to me for them to shore up as much as they can there first. If that is a homerun, he still has a boatload of picks next year to use on defense.

We compete in both scenarios imo, but they need to know how what they have in Fields with protection and weapons.

Wright was 23rd on Arif Hasan's consensus big board, so taking him at 10 was a moderate reach. That's a negative.

OT is a premium position and a major need, so that's good.

Jalen Carter was best available, in my eyes, but hard to knock a team much for passing on someone for character reasons. Harder for outsiders to evaluate that aspect of a player than his on-field performance, and it plays into team culture and such which is also hard for outsiders to track or evaluate.

Christian Gonzalez was next best available, I thought pre-draft, but he fell to 17 so hard to knock a team much for passing on him at 10.

Trading down from 9 to 10 was pure profit, assuming they weren't taking Carter, so that's good. Though it's not enough profit to make up for the value you lose from the reach.

I would like to see the team trade down farther rather than reach on a player - either you get that player later, or you get a different player whose prospects aren't much worse, and on average teams that trade down win the deal. Hard to evaluate since we don't know what trades were offered, but I would think that they had some options with Carter there, and Skoronski; maybe PIT would've been willing to give up a little more than they did to move up to 14. And Philly's willingness to move up 1 spot is a sign that they had other offers available.

I'm worried that the Bears locked on to one position - right tackle - and were too unwilling to go with any other position. (One sign of this: the betting markets expected the Bears to go OT, and had that probability spread across several players.) That is bad process. If you're too locked in on one position, you miss out on better players that other premium positions which you could also use, or trade-downs that would let you get a similarly good player plus additional picks. Edge, 3 technique DT, and corner should also be priorities for this team, and WR should be an option too.

On the whole seems like a mild negative.

Edited to add Dawand Jones to post...
“After the first day of the Senior Bowl, when he was the talk of the town, he completely f---ed this whole thing up,” one evaluator told McGinn. “He had one good day of practice and then basically shut himself down. He’s killed himself in the process.”

McGinn also ran a survey of 16 scouts, asking who the most likely offensive lineman to bust would be. Jones received seven votes, leading all offensive linemen.

Jones only ran the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and reportedly showed up to his Pro Day at 370 pounds, which also was a cause for concern around league circles.

Would have liked Tuli - but they sooooo desperately need interior D-line help

Not a Pickens fan either this high.

Bears have basically had a mid 1st, a mid 2nd, and 2 4th round caliber guys out of the 4 picks in the top-64.

Honestly, the Vikings are probably having the best draft in the division right now.

Pretty meh draft. Stevenson is a solid pick, but they gave up value in the trade-up, so that adds up to meh. The other 3 picks are all kinda meh - each one a bit of a reach according to the consensus board, for someone that I'm not really high on where they took him.

Not a Pickens fan either this high.

Bears have basically had a mid 1st, a mid 2nd, and 2 4th round caliber guys out of the 4 picks in the top-64.

Honestly, the Vikings are probably having the best draft in the division right now.
Packers passing on Mayer was a shock.

I'm ok with these last two. Stevenson especially looks like he could make an impact. I'm still stunned by that Dexter pick. Like don't even know what to say stunned.

There has to be something medically wrong with Adebodwore.

I like several options here at 4.01, but somehow I don't feel good about it.

I'd take WR Tyler Scott here.

Last edited:
Adebodwore at 4.01? Seems like a good fit here.
He'd instantly be the best DL they drafted. He's a top-5 option at 4.1 for sure.

Even though they don't need a guy to start at the position, I'd still take Dawand Jones.

Could also get behind Kelee Ringo or Cory Trice as raw athletic CB prospects. If he's there in round 5, I could get behind Chase Brown at RB.

Adebodwore at 4.01? Seems like a good fit here.
He'd instantly be the best DL they drafted. He's a top-5 option at 4.1 for sure.

Even though they don't need a guy to start at the position, I'd still take Dawand Jones.

Could also get behind Kelee Ringo or Cory Trice as raw athletic CB prospects. If he's there in round 5, I could get behind Chase Brown at RB.
Rumors are Jones is dropping to weight, longevity concerns.

Ringo's change of direction vs smaller faster WRs is so poor he might not last in the NFL.

Not sure why AA keeps falling, but medical is speculated.

DT Travis bell is so far off the radar, ESPN didn't have a profile for him and it was hard to find any draft scouting report on the kid.

Luckily the kid has twitter and linked his athletic score. Which is pretty impressive.
https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1641598131778330629?s=20
Seems clear the staff think they can coach up these Uber athletic DLs. Let's hope it works out.
I trust Flus thinks he can get the most out of these DL picks. Both Dexter and Pickens were 5 star prospects going into college. They both have size and both guys played a ton so they seem to be quite durable.

Worst case we have 7-8 rotational guys who are always fresh.

All in all, I'd give this Draft an A-. If we factor in the Claypool trade, probably a B+.

The Carolina Trade is a win all day. DJ Moore is a huge addition to the offense. Future picks set the Bears up nicely for 2024. Although I do think Carolina can be a playoff team this year with a Rookie QB.

OT Wright was an ok pick. It fills a need and solidifies where everyone should start along the OL. The kid sounds like a safe pick with a high floor for a RT. I'd love to know what the other offer for 9 was. It was rumored there was another offer, but the Bears didn't want to drop that much.

DL Dexter and Pickens both fit the same mold of big physical players who never lived up to their HS recruiting grades. If Flus thinks it was lack of coaching and he can maximize their traits, I'm happy with these picks. Both kids could be better pros than college players and I'm excited to see what our coaching staff can do here.

CB Stevenson was a great value in the 2nd. He can start on the outside and kick Gordon into the slot corner role. This could solidify the entire secondary. Smith Later in the draft was another insane value. Big kid who can compete for the #4 corner his first year.

LB Sewell was an odd pick to me. He was graded all over the map. Maybe another kid who can be a better pro.

RB Roshan Johnson was a great pick. I think the Bears needed another RB going into the season. Very rarely will a RB hold up for 17 games. This gives the Bears a great stable of RBs who all bring something a bit different. Johnson could be the best back of the bunch. Worst case it allows Foreman to walk next year if he doesn't work out.

WR Tyler Scott was my favorite pick of the draft. I thought for sure he would go in the third. The kid is pure speed and home run ability all day. Interesting that a comp coming into the League was Mooney. I love the kid and he should be able to fill that glaring hole at WR4. Maybe E. St.Brown holds him off in camp, but it's only a matter of time.

All in all, I think everything was addressed outside of a pass rush. I'm happy. I thought they needed OL, DL, CB, WR, RB and they hit all those spots. Insane value on the offensive skill positions. Got some HUGE bodies on the OL and DL. Length in the secondary and some speed at WR.

4 probable starters and another 3 who can be rotational pieces.

Last edited:
I think (hope) Poles will still address the gap at Edge by signing someone like Clowney or Floyd who are both still available. We still got the money to spend. I never expected a complete turnaround in one year so I think I'm fairly pleased with this draft which I think got us closer to where we should be.

Poles addressed most of our needs - let's just hope hit hit on the talent. You never really know until a few years down the road. I think we are where Detroit was last year and we are set up nicely for next year.

OL and DL are still terrible. No pass rush on D and OL didn't give Fields much time.

Fields also didn't look great today. Its going to be hard to evaluate him at this rate.

D was an embarrassment today. And the buzz around the improved back 7 was hot all summer. It was horrific. Jones gashing them and Love having wide open targets all day.

The Jenkins injury which led to the reshuffling of the o line hurt big time. And I just don't know what to make of Fields. Tremendous athlete but may never be a big time qb.

You know who's a huge waste? Chase Claypool.

Let's go back to the #1 Pick overall...
A lot of us questioned going to far too fast with Fields
It feels like they could be on the path to more double digit losing seasons.

This team still looks like this despite spending almost 100 million in FA. Both lines were an embarrassment.
* The OTs looked like turnstiles.
* The DEs had zero pass rush. Love was back there knitting a sweater with all the time he had.
* The DTs got blown off the ball constantly. Boy, sure am glad they didn't take that bum Jalen Carter. 🤨
* Claypool is a dog. Dude puts in zero effort and constantly has boo-boo face if he's not getting the ball.
* I'm becoming convinced Fields just isn't the guy. I know he didn't have a lot of time, but he never even attempted to throw the ball downfield. It was the 'Captain Check-down' show all day.
* Last, and most importantly, they looked like a loser team sitting on that bench in the 4th quarter. Zero fire. Roshon Johnson looked like the only person that wanted to be out there. Even the announcers mentioned it. The culture needs to change.

Users who are viewing this thread