What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (8 Viewers)

Let him walk.
A perfectly fine scenario if we can adequately fill the need for a starting NFL center this offseason.
Draft one. who gives a rats ###... That's ludicrous money for a center, and especially for one who has shown he doesnt want to be here.

Ciao. We aren't winning a super bowl this year anyways.
If you were offered say $25-$30 million at age 29 as opposed to $10 million for one year and no security net for a career ending achilles tear, if you just lost your only line coach and well like head coach, if you endured 3 regime changes in 14 months, what would you do?
The Jacksonville Jaguars have won 3 more games in the entire time that Alex Mack has been in the league.

They've never made the post season let alone contended for the SB.

Their fan base is so weak the league has them playing in a different country to try and build support.

He will have to play under a new HC and O-Line coach.

The Browns are finally ready to take a step forward and he can be part of that.

The owner, HC, OC, and new O-Line coach, along with the GM personally flew out to assure him he is wanted.

Naw, go with Jacksonville who do not hold two-first round picks, who don't have Joe Thomas at OLT, who don;'t have Josh Gordon or Jordan Cameron or Joe Haden or Karlso Dansby or Phil Taylor Ahtyba Rubin, Donte Whitner, Ben Tate.

Yep, go with the London Jaguars. Such a no-brainer.

Let him walk.
A perfectly fine scenario if we can adequately fill the need for a starting NFL center this offseason.
Draft one. who gives a rats ###... That's ludicrous money for a center, and especially for one who has shown he doesnt want to be here.

If you were offered say $25-$30 million at age 29 as opposed to $10 million for one year and no security net for a career ending achilles tear, if you just lost your only line coach and well like head coach, if you endured 3 regime changes in 14 months, what would you do?
What's your point in relation to what you replied to?
I assume if was rhetorical, cuz he made my point. I hope.

Let him walk.

I made your point for you? what was that? Cleveland fans still dealing with Lebron?

Let him walk.

The Jacksonville Jaguars have won 3 more games in the entire time that Alex Mack has been in the league.

Their fan base is so weak the league has them playing in a different country to try and build support.

The owner, HC, OC, and new O-Line coach, along with the GM personally flew out to assure him he is wanted.

Naw, go with Jacksonville who do not hold two-first round picks, who don't have Joe Thomas at OLT, who don;'t have Josh Gordon or Jordan Cameron or Joe Haden or Karlso Dansby or Phil Taylor Ahtyba Rubin, Donte Whitner, Ben Tate.

you make it sound like the Cleveland Browns are building on a legacy of winning. lol

read from 5 to 1 there, sorry bout the format
Why play for Jacksonville? As a franchise, aren't they a step below Cleveland? At least Cleveland has some offensive resources and a decent/good oline. If he's looking for consistency, Jacksonville is no better. There are many similarities between the two, and I can't fathom why he would want to get up and leave. I highly doubt the offer will give him more than $10mill the first year, like the tag would. With no interest from other teams, you'd think he would suck it up for a year and then go wherever he wants next year.

I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't match or beat the offer.
No income tax in Florida helps.

Let him walk.

maybe he disagrees

maybe he thinks the browns are unstable and the odds of this rookie regime being around long enough to make a difference are slim to none

one thing the jags have over the browns recently is some stability

You got your ### handed to you so your reply is to troll? That is you Raiderfan. You never enter this thread without trolling.
I asked some questions that were in my opinion relevant to the discussion of money. The personal sentiments that follow "he doesn't want to be here" and "we aren't winning a Super Bowl anyway" are irrelevant. There's no troll in my communication. Show me how I just got my ### handed to me? I won't paint a broad brushstroke of all Cleveland fans, but the ones that attempt to clown the Jags franchise come off as butthurt and petty. Take a look at the mirror and see if that looks like you.

Let him walk.

I made your point for you? what was that? Cleveland fans still dealing with Lebron?
I don't think your post had anything to do with what you replied to.

You want to assign blame. That is what you do Plasma. You not only want to assign blame you always assign it to the Browns front office.
I didn't assign any blame at all. I just pointed out that you can't have a double standard when it comes to Mack's contract.

Maybe centers have become more important than we've been led to believe in modern NFL football. If that's the case maybe it isn't a dumb contract for Jax or Cle. If that's not true and it is a ridiculous contract then it would be a dumb contract to match.
Double standard?You mean you see no difference due to different people being in charge. You just see one morass?

Their were diffent people in charge, Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi had a clear cut policy where they never even opened up contract negotiations with Alex Mack.

When Farmer was put in charge he put re-signing Alex Mack as priority number one and the actions of having the, owner, head coach, offenisve coordinator, and new GM Rary Farmer, flying to Alex Mack's home to personally convey to him how important he was/is to the team is about as clear of a distinction between people making policies that you can find.

No owner flies out to try and get a center to resign, no one does that unless they are serious as a heart attack.

Double standard means a person or group of peopple hold two standards. If Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi pulled a two-face type of deal where they went from not negotiating to flying the, owner, front office, and coaches, out then you could cry double standard.

Once we got rid of Banner/Lombardi we not only made every reasonable effort to re-sign Mack we made a wise move to transition tag him because only a stupid team would make a stupid offer for Mack. I guess we should have not only made reasonable assumptions but we should have made extra-sprecial stupid assumptions because Jacksonville is in the NFL.
You're just putting random words into my mouth that have nothing to do with anything I said.

i guess my point there is not that to bash the browns, but rather that he may have issues with their ownership. On this board there is a clear line among browns fans where you cannot blame the sins of the past on this regime. From someone on the team that may not be true. He may see the sins of the past as squarley on the shoulders of the man upstairs.

Or it could just be about money

We really have no way to know.

Let him walk.

Yes... it's been heartwrenching for me as a Raptors fan to deal with Lebron leaving Cleveland.

Let him walk.

Yes... it's been heartwrenching for me as a Raptors fan to deal with Lebron leaving Cleveland.
He stole Boshy!

Let him walk.

I don't think your post had anything to do with what you replied to.
What exactly was that? That he's not worth the 5 year deal? Then why all the uproar? Why do Browns fans resort to clowning of the Jags?

anyway, i'll be interested to see if the browns match or not
I would too. I kind of hope they do match. So that the folks who are already call him a bum have to reconcile back that he's "their guy".
i lean towards thinking they should match

salary cap is not an issue, don;t think it will be next season. He's really good, some cohesiveness is always good. if it is not going to hamper the team financially i don't mind them overpaying for some people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would too. I kind of hope they do match. So that the folks who are already call him a bum have to reconcile back that he's "their guy".

salary cap is not an issue, don;t think it will be next season. He's really good, some cohesiveness is always good. if it is ot going to hamper the team financially i don;t mind them overpaying for some people.
:goodposting:

Let's get this back on track.

salary cap is not an issue, don;t think it will be next season. He's really good, some cohesiveness is always good. if it is not going to hamper the team financially i don't mind them overpaying for some people.
I agree that they should match. They tried to get cute with Mack and hope he slid under the radar and it backfired. They need to take the deal that Jacksonville offered and build around Mack and move forward. Or their interior line will be a shambles relatively speaking. Center position isn't marquee, but highly underrated in terms of importance. The downside of losing Mack is dangerous.

Cleveland fans are calling Mack a bum?

Nothing could be futher than the truth.

Mack has played fantastically for the team.

He played up to and past his draft status.

He's played hurt, he's played through losing seasons, he's played through head coaching and front office and even ownership changes and never complained a jot.

I have no problem with him trying this tactic but I do fault Jacksoville for making an offer when its obvious the Jags aren't serious about winning or they would have acted in a reasonable manner by drafting a QB over a punter and by keeping Gene Monroe or if they were truly serious about winning they would have taken a better offer than only getting 4th and 5th round picks for starting NFL OT in his prime.

This offer was made just to try and make their fanbase think they are seriious about winning when they aren't.

Here is the kicker.

I don't think Mack wants to go to Jacksonville.

I think he wants the Browns to match the offer so he doesn't have to move.

I agree that they should match. They tried to get cute with Mack and hope he slid under the radar and it backfired. They need to take the deal that Jacksonville offered and build around Mack and move forward. Or their interior line will be a shambles relatively speaking. Center position isn't marquee, but highly underrated in terms of importance. The downside of losing Mack is dangerous.
The "cute" part is certainly debatable without knowing all the facts. I've made some points above regarding that. For example, franchising doesn't get Mack signed long term. Neither does failed negotiations.

This offer was made just to try and make their fanbase think they are seriious about winning when they aren't.
Regarding Jacksonsville fans, how do you say this and not come off looking the troll? Obviously they are in "win now" mode, and their recent free agency moves show that. They have a bright GM and the Jacksonville franchise is going to be a contender sooner than you think. Do you really think they enjoy stepping on themselves year after year. At least they have an AFC conference championship game to their credit. More than the Browns can say. Stop clowning them.

Regarding Jacksonsville fans, how do you say this and not come off looking the troll? Obviously they are in "win now" mode, and their recent free agency moves show that. They have a bright GM and the Jacksonville franchise is going to be a contender sooner than you think. Do you really think they enjoy stepping on themselves year after year. At least they have an AFC conference championship game to their credit. More than the Browns can say. Stop clowning them.
Love when you guys filter the hilarious out of the novel BS postings so I can get my fix. :thumbup:

Never said anything about Jacksonville fans. Said Jacksonville. Only a troll, like you, goes after fans and goes into threads giggling like a schoolgirl if something happens with their team. You have a well established pattern as a troll, everytime you come here you do so to flip us off.

Have no idea how miserable your life is but I feel sorry for people like you.

The "cute" part is certainly debatable without knowing all the facts. I've made some points above regarding that. For example, franchising doesn't get Mack signed long term. Neither does failed negotiations.
Yup. And who says it 'backfired'? If it's around the reported $9mil/yr, that's less than either tag. Sounds like it worked if that's the case.

He's played hurt, he's played through losing seasons, he's played through head coaching and front office and even ownership changes and never complained a jot.

I have no problem with him trying this tactic but I do fault Jacksoville for making an offer when its obvious the Jags aren't serious about winning or they would have acted in a reasonable manner by drafting a QB over a punter and by keeping Gene Monroe or if they were truly serious about winning they would have taken a better offer than only getting 4th and 5th round picks for starting NFL OT in his prime.

Here is the kicker.

you are getting a tad ridiculous

no

more than a tad

one could argue that if jacksonville can continue to be as good as the browns when they don't even care about winning, that it speaks more about the browns than the jags

of course they want to win

and if the browns match it is because theye want to win, and if they do not it is because they want to win

your arguments make you sound irrational at best

Here is the kicker.

no

more than a tad

one could argue that if jacksonville can continue to be as good as the browns when they don't even care about winning, that it speaks more about the browns than the jags

and if the browns match it is because theye want to win, and if they do not it is because they want to win

I guess yoiu are Mr. Rational eh?

I won't even ask how you rationally look at ridiculous offer for Alex Mack because Mack has NOT signed this offer sheet which means he can now negotiate with the Browns with this offer in hand if he doesn't like what the Browns counter with. Oh and if he really wanted out from Cleveland he would have signed the offer-sheet from Jacksonville.

Forget about that and explain two things in a rational way.

1. Explain the drafting of a PUNTER in the 3rd round over QB Russell Wilson.

2. Explain trading away Eugene Monroe for 4th and 5th round picks before the start of last season before they knew whether or not Luke Joekel could play.

The Browns, of all teams, were offering more than 4th and 5th round draft picks but the Jags turned us down which isn't rational in my mind but you are rational so you can make a rational reply to both points.

Here is the kicker.

no

more than a tad

I won't even ask how you rationally look at ridiculous offer for Alex Mack because Mack has NOT signed this offer sheet which means he can now negotiate with the Browns with this offer in hand if he doesn't like what the Browns counter with. Oh and if he really wanted out from Cleveland he would have signed the offer-sheet from Jacksonville.

2. Explain trading away Eugene Monroe for 4th and 5th round picks before the start of last season before they knew whether or not Luke Joekel could play.

The Browns, of all teams, were offering more than 4th and 5th round draft picks but the Jags turned us down which isn't rational in my mind but you are rational so you can make a rational reply to both points.
keep banging on the jags being awful like that is the point or matters

you are off on a jags suck tangent, and it is stupid. they do suck, so do the browns. both are trying to improve.

despite drafting a punter and passing on wilson (where as the browns are a model of franchise qb selection) they won as many games as you and beat you. and they were not even trying. They win as much as you without caring or trying (according to you). i have no idea what you are trying to prove in regards to mack in continuing to bring up monroe.

anyway, we all know your premise is crap because we know they are trying to win and so are the browns, neither has been successful, both are still trying. how this relates to what mack wants i have no idea, i am quite sure your disdain for the jags factors in exactly 0 to his decisions and desires

so if the question asked earlier is that you are portraying this contract as an absolute ridiculous joke, not a serious offer. what if the browns match? You gonna bang on them for not wanting to win?

Bracie Smathers said:
B-Deep said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
B-Deep said:

Here is the kicker.

no

more than a tad

Are you really contending that Jacksonville is truly not trying to win, literally?

Teams that are trying make bad picks all the time (and many teams missed out on Wilson - including the Browns).

You also really think Jacksonville turned down a better offer than the one they took for Monroe? I'm not following your implication that Jacksonville is trying to lose on purpose? Why would they?

Why did the Jags trade away from Monroe?

They didn't think he was worth Franchise LT money. His agent intimated that he wanted to be paid like a Top5 or Top 10 tackle and the Jags didn't think he was worth that.

Remember that the Ravens and his agent didn't see eye-to-eye either and he actually hit free agency before re-signing.

The Jags took a couple of mid-round picks for a player they didn't think fit their long-range plans rather than lose him for nothing (which the Ravens risked doing)

It's not that the Jags aren't trying to win, they're trying to set themselves up to to win in 2015 and beyond. Khan/Caldwell knew that roster was devoid of talent and needed a complete overhaul.

he's just gone nuts over this

other than the jags suck i have trouble even following what point he is trying to make

knowledge dropper said:
read from 5 to 1 there, sorry bout the format
Why play for Jacksonville? As a franchise, aren't they a step below Cleveland? At least Cleveland has some offensive resources and a decent/good oline. If he's looking for consistency, Jacksonville is no better. There are many similarities between the two, and I can't fathom why he would want to get up and leave. I highly doubt the offer will give him more than $10mill the first year, like the tag would. With no interest from other teams, you'd think he would suck it up for a year and then go wherever he wants next year.

I'd be shocked if Cleveland doesn't match or beat the offer.
No income tax in Florida helps.
you probably missed my earlier statement. ALL the players with good attorneys already have residence in Florida.

the tax issue is irrelevant.

looks like he wants his own out... this is a 2 year contract unless mack wants more, and no tag option

again not to offend any browns fans, but when the two teams you are looking at have had a bad recent track record, wanting an out is not a bad idea

i am guessing the browns match. 18mil over 2 years is better than had they tagged him

Bracie Quote:

I wanna say that the GM and Coach who drafted the punter have been fired, right? So you can't blame the current regime for that blunder. And all 32 teams passed on Russ Wilson at least TWICE. Hell, the Texans took Guard Brandon Brooks (who?!) 2 picks ahead of Wilson. So give Bradley and Caldwell a break.

Trading Eugene Monroe, knowing he wouldn't resign with the club, or knowing/feeling he was not with elite $$$, was a shrewd move. And he got traded MID season. Not at the start. Sucks that Joekel got hurt, but that's the NFL. They got a 4th and 5th for a rental. And in a supposed "deep draft" and a young man's league, those extra picks look golden. I wish my texans had those picks.

Jags have made a lot of sneaky, low risk moves. Henne ain't elite, but give him competent weapons, (Blackmon, Shorts, Ace), shore up the oline (Mack, Beadles) and give him a RB he can lean on (Toby G.) while Bradley does what he does best: build the defense. This is a team that can compete in the weak AFC south. I expect they'll have a good draft. Ending up with Clowney, Teddy, or Mack. Those are 3 great players. They're getting someone good regardless.

I hope cleveland retains Mack, just because I'm a texans fan. But the jags are building up their team in a smart, sneaky manner.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Bracie Smathers said:
The Browns have been to two AFC conference championship games.Farther ago than the Jaguars were in theirs but they have been there in my lifetime.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Bracie Smathers said:
The Browns have been to two AFC conference championship games.Farther ago than the Jaguars were in theirs but they have been there in my lifetime.
I like to forget about that 3rd one too. :yucky:

Users who are viewing this thread