What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland Browns (12 Viewers)

looks like he wants his own out... this is a 2 year contract unless mack wants more, and no tag option

again not to offend any browns fans, but when the two teams you are looking at have had a bad recent track record, wanting an out is not a bad idea

i am guessing the browns match. 18mil over 2 years is better than had they tagged him
I'm not sure he wants out so badly like people think...he just made a ridiculous deal for a center. Seems like it boils down to 9-9-8-8-8 with the possibility of the first 3 years guaranteed, correct? Like Raider said, who is going to pass that up....by far the highest paid center in the league and he is one of few NFL players that control part of a contract after it's signed. If he wanted out so bad, why not have that clause after year 1?

The problem with the contract from the Browns POV is the 3rd year guarantee if he doesn't opt out. I thought of that driving home today...years 2 and 3 would be loaded up. It didn't quite end up being that, but the fact it's guaranteed is along those lines. Won't be surprised if they let him walk depending on how they pencil in Haden, Gordon and others.

Mack would turn 31 during the 2016 season (third year guarantee).

While making him the highest paid center in the league, $8 mil. might seem very reasonable in a few years.

I think it has been reported that the cap is supposed to go up to something in the neighborhood of $150 mil. per year by that time. If CLE drafts their QB of the future, depending on the round, that could be a relatively cheap contract at an important position for the next 4-5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like he wants his own out... this is a 2 year contract unless mack wants more, and no tag option

again not to offend any browns fans, but when the two teams you are looking at have had a bad recent track record, wanting an out is not a bad idea

i am guessing the browns match. 18mil over 2 years is better than had they tagged him
I'm not sure he wants out so badly like people think...he just made a ridiculous deal for a center. Seems like it boils down to 9-9-8-8-8 with the possibility of the first 3 years guaranteed, correct? Like Raider said, who is going to pass that up....by far the highest paid center in the league and he is one of few NFL players that control part of a contract after it's signed. If he wanted out so bad, why not have that clause after year 1?

The problem with the contract from the Browns POV is the 3rd year guarantee if he doesn't opt out. I thought of that driving home today...years 2 and 3 would be loaded up. It didn't quite end up being that, but the fact it's guaranteed is along those lines. Won't be surprised if they let him walk depending on how they pencil in Haden, Gordon and others.
I would be very surprised if that is the sticking point. Dansby and Whitner are only guaranteed 2 years, Rubin is likely gone, they can probably restructure Thomas, Bryant, Kruger (or cut if not performing) that year. Plenty of options.

they may as well match.

seems stupid to pay a Center so much, but they've got the cash, and it would be nice to have the stability on the line while they break in their next QB.

start drafting some depth on the O line and let him walk in 2-3 years.

I don't see why they wouldn't match it. It's cheaper than using the two tags over the next two years, and offers the same end game of Mack having an out after 2 years. At this point, draft a center and let him learn behind Mack for the next two years and then have him ready to go by year 3. No biggie.

I think its a no-brainer to match.

We already had guaranteed over $9 million for one year so this basically is a two-year transition tag.

Ryan Kahlil is/was the the NFL's highest paid center and he is making over $8 million per year so this deal isn't completely whack.

I think Mack and his agent did a great negotiating job, tip your hat to them for that and move on.

Cards new DC was asked about the loss of LB Karlos Dansby.

He answered how you would expect but if you go to the link Kent Summers does a video chat with Arizona fans and he also touches on the loss of Karlos and Sommers gives a pretty good answer.

No time stamps on the video but he asked about Karlso about a third of the way into this video.

Baiscally Kent says it was a good deal for both teams because the Cards couldn't afford Karlos but Kent felt he had his best season ever last year and he feels Dansby is in great shape and he'll be a solid leader for the Browns.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/04/10/todd-bowles-says-cardinals-will-ok-without-karlos-dansby/7575063/

....defensive coordinator Todd Bowles talks about his group.

Question:

Linebacker Karlos Dansby signing with the Browns was the team's biggest loss this off-season. What are you losing or what are you worried about replacing?

Answer:

I don't worry about anything necessarily. Communication has to come every year, and Karlos was a very vocal guy. Because of his years in the league, he kind of knew things, where the ball was going, anticipated it very well. Every first- or second-year guy has to gain that experience when he comes into the league. Karlos is longer and probably, on paper, a better athlete than Kevin (Minter). Kevin's probably a better thumper than Karlos. It's apple and oranges. With Karlos we lost some leadership in the locker room and on the field. He had a great year and made a bunch of plays. It's just next man up. Kevin's not trying to be Karlos. He's just trying to be Kevin, our next 'Mike' backer. There will be some competition there if we draft somebody and bring somebody in free-agent wise.

:goodposting:

From what I read about his contract,Mack has the right to waive getting tagged in year 3. So he can essentially get his 3rd year on his terms if he wants. This looks like a $26 mill/3 year deal, which is pricey for a 29 yo center, but he's considered among the best in the league at his position, and the salary cap is expected to hit $150 mil/yr by the time that 3rd deal is in the books. Mack negotiated a good deal for himself. Browns can't afford to let him go, hoping that the draft bails them out and this late into free agency.

I would be very surprised if that is the sticking point. Dansby and Whitner are only guaranteed 2 years, Rubin is likely gone, they can probably restructure Thomas, Bryant, Kruger (or cut if not performing) that year. Plenty of options.
Right, I agree. What I'm trying to convey is what the Browns could be debating. It's not the opt out that some national guys and some local radio stations were harping about yesterday. If we're debating anything, it's the possibility of having that 3rd year money guaranteed. It might not matter at all because they know alot more about the future of the cap figure (Magaw mentioned this and I brought it up yesterday).

I'm not sure he wants out so badly like people think...he just made a ridiculous deal for a center. Seems like it boils down to 9-9-8-8-8 with the possibility of the first 3 years guaranteed, correct? Like Raider said, who is going to pass that up....by far the highest paid center in the league and he is one of few NFL players that control part of a contract after it's signed. If he wanted out so bad, why not have that clause after year 1?The problem with the contract from the Browns POV is the 3rd year guarantee if he doesn't opt out. I thought of that driving home today...years 2 and 3 would be loaded up. It didn't quite end up being that, but the fact it's guaranteed is along those lines. Won't be surprised if they let him walk depending on how they pencil in Haden, Gordon and others.
Right, I agree. What I'm trying to convey is what the Browns could be debating. It's not the opt out that some national guys and some local radio stations were harping about yesterday. If we're debating anything, it's the possibility of having that 3rd year money guaranteed. It might not matter at all because they know alot more about the future of the cap figure (Magaw mentioned this and I brought it up yesterday).
i don't see the third year guaranteed money as an issue. if he's still playing well, you pay it.

if not, cut him.

Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC 1m
I cant see how $26M over three years scares away the #Browns for Mack. Thats much lower than Kalil received

This is the guy from overthecap.com, a really great website.

With the Browns cap room, I don't see a problem "over" paying him for 3 years--and I am not even sure how much of an overpay that is. They can frontload Haden next year no problem, and re-sign Cameron and Gordon easily, when the time comes.

Only thing Jax really did, and it's no small thing, is make sure Mack isn't a bargain, and has big cap numbers for his Browns years.

Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC 1m
I cant see how $26M over three years scares away the #Browns for Mack. Thats much lower than Kalil received

With the Browns cap room, I don't see a problem "over" paying him for 3 years--and I am not even sure how much of an overpay that is. They can frontload Haden next year no problem, and re-sign Cameron and Gordon easily, when the time comes.

Only thing Jax really did, and it's no small thing, is make sure Mack isn't a bargain, and has big cap numbers for his Browns years.
Just hearing on Cleveland Browns Daily that this offer sheet is set in cement for only one NFL calendar year.

After that time we can renegotiate a long-term deal with him.

It is essentially only a one-year deal.

Their shouldn't be any issuues in re-signing Mack IMHO.

Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC 1m

Just hearing on Cleveland Browns Daily that this offer sheet is set in cement for only one NFL calendar year.

After that time we can renegotiate a long-term deal with him.

It is essentially only a one-year deal.

Their shouldn't be any issuues in re-signing Mack IMHO.
well any deal can be re-negotiated after a year. Not sure why Mack would do that, and I doubt the team would approach him.

Soulfly's not going to like this guy's critique of his guy Garappolo...

NFL Draft Cheatsheet: QBsThursday, April 10, 2014

NFL draft season is an exciting time filled with DraftBreakdown cut-ups, egocentric Twitter wars, and ridiculous anonymous “scout” quotes. There are very few things I love more.

It is difficult at times, however, to wade through the oceans of scouting reports to find the pearls of useful fantasy information. To that end, I have created this NFL Draft Cheat Sheet to answer every important question about the quarterbacks that will hear their names called this May.

Who is the best?

The most common answer is Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater, and that is my opinion as well.

The knocks against Bridgewater all center around his physical limitations: He has a small frame, he does not have a huge arm, he is not particularly athletic, and he has undersized hands. While these are concerns, the level of attention his supposed physical deficiencies have received point to severe misunderstanding of how to evaluate the quarterback position.

There are certainly physical benchmarks a quarterback has to meet to be a quality NFL starter. Once a quarterback passes these benchmarks, however, it really does not matter how far past them they go. Teddy does not have a strong arm, but he can make all the throws. Teddy is not particularly athletic, but he can move well in the pocket and has shown an ability to escape pressure. Teddy does have small hands which, when paired with his arm strength, make him struggle in poor weather, but he seems to be much better at controlling the ball when wearing gloves and should continue to wear them in the NFL.

Much more important that the physical attributes that get the most play is the ability to consistently make sound decisions in pressure situations, and Bridgewater displayed this ability time and time again in college. He also played in a pro-style offense where he was asked to make full field reads -- something not seen as often in college -- and operated it superbly. Finally, he understands ball placement and demonstrated the short and intermediate accuracy necessary as the windows start getting smaller at the next level.

In short, Bridgewater has all the important mental attributes and enough of the physical attributes to be a top-level quarterback in the NFL, and he is easily my favorite one in this draft.

Who will contribute most as a fantasy player in year one?

It is always a difficult question to answer before the draft because so much relies on opportunity, but the likeliest candidate right now is Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.

Manziel is by far the most polarizing quarterback available, even among highly respected evaluators. ESPN’s Ron Jaworski famously said he would not take Manziel until the third round of the draft, while NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said if he had to take one quarterback in the top ten, Manziel would be the guy.

This polarization may mean Manziel slips a bit in the draft, which could be a problem for his fantasy value if he takes a Rodgerian-like fall to a team with a solid, entrenched starter.

That scenario seems unlikely, however. Very few teams would be willing to take on a player with the fanfare of Manziel without the intention of starting him immediately, and any team with the organizational fortitude and security to take Johnny Football and not start him probably has a good enough quarterback already on the roster.

Also, aside from the near-zero possibility Manziel rides the pine this season, his playing style also lends itself to early fantasy success.

While Manziel is too often misidentified as a one-read-and-take-off quarterback in the mold of Michael Vick or a young Cam Newton, it is undeniable he has physical tools to be a factor in the rushing game. We have seen that ability allow players like Vick, Robert Griffin III, and Newton to be huge fantasy successes early in their careers without gaudy passing numbers.

Though Manziel is more in the mold of Russell Wilson in that he uses his escapability to extend plays and runs only when no other option exists, even a Wilson-esque 500-5 rushing line would set up a solid fantasy base on which to build.

When you put his style of play and likely playing time together with his penchant for the big play, it becomes very clear Manziel has as high a fantasy ceiling as any quarterback in this draft. He should display that potential from the first snap of the 2014 season.

Who has the most upside?

Without question the answer is UCF QB Blake Bortles.

It does not require too tight a squint to see Andrew Luck in Bortles. He is a big, strong quarterback with plus athleticism and rushing ability. He plays with a confidence and poise that is noticeable on tape. Bortles led UCF to a comeback victory over Bridgewater’s Louisville, and two high-profile upset wins over Penn State and Baylor last season.

While is it not hard to see Luck in Bortles game, it is also not difficult to see Jake Locker at times. He occasionally displays accuracy issues brought about by inconsistent footwork and mechanics. He too often throws off-balance and too often makes throws that will result in interceptions against better competition.

With that said, all of the weaknesses Bortles has shown are coachable. He can fix his mechanics and can learn how to make better decisions. In fact, reports from his Pro Day indicate he has already begun to address these deficiencies.

No one can coach the physical attributes and poise Bortles has consistently displayed, and those traits give him a great shot to develop into a franchise quarterback.

Who is the most overrated?

Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo, and I don't even think it's close.

Garoppolo is the kind of quarterback that shines in all-star games. That is exactly what he did this spring, earning a late invitation to the Senior Bowl based on his stellar performance at the East-West Shrine Game.

In shorts and shells, there is little not to like about Garoppolo. He has a decent arm, a decent build, and a lightning-quick release. He displays excellent footwork and could write the book on a marrying quarterback’s feet to their eyes.

On a script or in practice, all of these attributes are wonderful to watch. The problem with Garoppolo, however, shows up against live competition in two disturbing tendencies.

The first is Garoppolo’s almost inability to stand up to a pass rush. Time and time again Garoppolo had a chance to stand tall in the pocket and make a play, and time and time again his eyes dropped to the rush searching for an escape plan. More disturbingly, Garoppolo would display this fear of the pass rush when none actually existed, choosing to escape a fairly clean pocket instead of finding an open receiver.

Secondly, Garoppolo almost seemed scared when his first read was covered. So much of his production in college came on one-read plays that were usually open against inferior competition. When the primary read was covered, however, Garoppolo struggled to locate a secondary receiver, and even when he did find a secondary receiver or a check-down option, he looked jittery doing it.

It is not like Garoppolo was dealing with these issues against NFL competition, either. If he is struggling to stand up in the face of an Ohio Valley Conference pass rush, what will he do against professional pass rushers?

The answer is most likely nothing. No matter the physical attributes, a slow processor is the main ingredient for failure in the NFL, and that is exactly what I expect Garoppolo to do.

Who is the most underrated?

LSU QB Zach Mettenberger.

At 6’5’, 230 pounds, Mettenberger looks like he was genetically engineered by the same Russian team responsible for Ivan Drago, except instead of being asked to win the cold war, Mettenberger was tasked with playing quarterback in the NFL.

If having prototypical size was all that mattered, though, Ryan Leaf would be a Hall of Famer. Fortunately, Mettenberger has displayed several other traits that should translate well to the NFL.

First and foremost, he has one of the biggest arms in this draft and throws the prettiest deep ball I have seen. There is not a single throw Mettenberger cannot make, and he can drive the ball through the tightest of windows. He also has shown the ability to throw with a bit more touch, but it is something he still needs to develop.

Secondly, Mettenberger operated a pro-style offense under former NFL offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. He progresses through reads quickly and makes the correct decisions on most occasions. He also understands pre-snap reads, checking to the correct plays more often than not.

Finally, Mettenberger stands tall and delivers strikes in the face of pressure as well as any other quarterback in this class. He is always willing to take the big hit to make a play and seems unfazed by players around his feet. Better pocket awareness could take the need to take the big hit away, however, and that brings us to Mettenberger’s biggest issue.

The real weakness holding Mettenberger back is his lack of pocket awareness and mobility, an issue magnified by the ACL injury suffered last December that sidelined him until Wednesday's LSU Pro Day. Not every quarterback has to be a great athlete, as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning can attest, but both Manning and Brady have a great sense of what is going on around them, and an outstanding ability to move around in the pocket to buy more time. Mettenberger has not shown that trait, and as a result he often takes unwarranted sacks and negative plays.

That lack of mobility certainly limits his potential, but if he lands in a vertical passing offense like the ones employed by Bruce Arians in Arizona or Norv Turner in Minnesota, Mettenberger has a chance to be a solid contributor at the next level.

What small school prospect has big potential?

There are several possible answers to this question.

Wyoming QB Brett Smith is a draftnik favorite, San Jose State QB David Fales is among the most accurate quarterbacks in the draft, and Ball State QB Keith Wenning is one of the smartest quarterbacks in the class.

If we are talking about potential, though, the highest ceiling may belong to SMU QB Garrett Gilbert.

Gilbert went to the University of Texas as a highly touted recruit, but transferred to SMU after what can only be described as a disastrous stint as the Longhorns' quarterback.

After an up and down first season in Dallas, Gilbert came into his own in 2013. He completed 66% of his throws and posted a solid 3 to 1 TD-to-Interception ratio, albeit against below average competition.

That performance leads to a very simple question. Why was Gilbert able to all of a sudden start making solid football decisions after a long history of making poor ones?

Some of the credit has to go to SMU coach June Jones, who consistently gave Gilbert simple, half-field reads he could thrive in. Without having to worry much about complex passing schemes, Gilbert was able to use his above-average physical skills to deliver the ball with a confidence that was seriously lacking at Texas.

That is not to say all of Gilbert’s success was due to the system, though. He displayed good accuracy and understanding of ball placement on most occasions. He showed anticipation and the ability to throw receivers open. He also looked comfortable standing in the pocket and delivering the ball against a rush.

No matter how he played last season, however, the questions about Gilbert will always revolve around his decision-making ability, and his colossal struggles at Texas will continue to be the albatross hung round his neck.

The confidence he played with may go some way in answering his critics, but whether that new-found comfort is down to Gilbert's personal growth or June Jones’ system remains to be seen. Based on his physical tools, I am willing to put down a few chips to find out.

Bold Prediction

Zach Mettenberger will turn out to be the best quarterback in this draft.

The love letter I wrote to Mettenberger earlier in this piece should be enough to show I like the guy, but this prediction has much more to do with the fragility at the top of the class.

All of the top four options – Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, and Fresno State's Derek Carr – have serious weaknesses that could lead to failure.

Bortles has inconsistent mechanics, occasional accuracy issues, and competition questions.

Bridgewater’s lean frame could lead to durability concerns, and his less than ideal hands and arm could present problems in bad weather.

Manziel’s play style and frame also lead to durability concerns, and he struggled against teams that kept him in the pocket with a soft rush.

Derek Carr, who I did not talk about, has faulty mechanics, a penchant for crumbling under pressure, and horrible tape against top-level competition, and by the way is by far my least favorite of the consensus quadrumvirate.

The point is there is no surefire franchise quarterback in this draft, and there is a significantly better than zero chance all the top guys falter in some way in the NFL. If that happens and Mettenberger ends up in the right system, there is a future in which Mettenberger is the cream of 2014’s crop.
ETA: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46863/60/nfl-draft-cheatsheet-qbs

Their is more spilling out on the contract.

If the Browns would have franchised Mack they would have been on the hook for $12 million for one year and the franchise tag does not allow the team exclusive rights to renegotiate because after that year a player is an unrestricted free agent.

So by transititioning Mack they save over $3 million and we hold renegotiation rights.

So it was the smart move to transition him.

Also they are saying that if Mack really didn't want to play for the Browns he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet and would force the Browns to franchise or cut him.

They feel and pretty much everyone I have heard who has commented on this that the Browns would match any offer the Jags made but it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. A tad high yeah but not completely out there.

Note of interest.

Next year guess who has their first round center up for renegotiating his contract?

Hint, the team he plays for is located in Western PA and that team has had to do sommersalts to get under the cap every year so they probably are not happy that Pouncey will be asking for Alex Mack money so in a roundabout way this may wind up helping us in the long term if Pittsburgh has to make some difficult contract decisions next year and they will.

The first is Garoppolo’s almost inability to stand up to a pass rush. Time and time again Garoppolo had a chance to stand tall in the pocket and make a play, and time and time again his eyes dropped to the rush searching for an escape plan. More disturbingly, Garoppolo would display this fear of the pass rush when none actually existed, choosing to escape a fairly clean pocket instead of finding an open receiver.

Secondly, Garoppolo almost seemed scared when his first read was covered. So much of his production in college came on one-read plays that were usually open against inferior competition. When the primary read was covered, however, Garoppolo struggled to locate a secondary receiver, and even when he did find a secondary receiver or a check-down option, he looked jittery doing it.
Sounds like Blaine Gabbert

Sounds like Blaine Gabbert
Yes it does sound like Gabbert.

Though, when Ive seen Garoppolo play (which admittedly was maybe 2-3 full games this year, and mostly tape) - I didn't see these "gabbert like tendencies".

Gabbert folds like origami once he receives the snap... Can't say Ive seen Jimmy act in that manner, though I wouldnt say the guy is the eptiome of composure either.

I like all his tools. In the right system and right coaching I think he turns out to be a good - very good QB (which coincidentally, I think of a lot of these QBs... which is why I think taking one early is a bad decision)

All project QBs. All of them. The fact is, do you wanna waste your #4 on one, or #26 or later or later...

26 is the earliest Id move on a guy who needs 2-3 years before he has the tools to hit the field.. but the later, the better in THIS draft

Re - Mack situation

Ragging on Jax for past draft blunders and poor play while dismissing Cleveland's blunders is a bit hypocritical, no? The current GM in Jax didn't draft a punter in the 3rd round. I see both teams as potential teams on the rise assuming they both get a QB that can play at an NFL caliber level.

Bracie Smathers said:
Their is more spilling out on the contract.

If the Browns would have franchised Mack they would have been on the hook for $12 million for one year and the franchise tag does not allow the team exclusive rights to renegotiate because after that year a player is an unrestricted free agent.

So by transititioning Mack they save over $3 million and we hold renegotiation rights.

So it was the smart move to transition him.

Also they are saying that if Mack really didn't want to play for the Browns he wouldn't have signed the offer sheet and would force the Browns to franchise or cut him.

They feel and pretty much everyone I have heard who has commented on this that the Browns would match any offer the Jags made but it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. A tad high yeah but not completely out there.

Note of interest.

Next year guess who has their first round center up for renegotiating his contract?

Hint, the team he plays for is located in Western PA and that team has had to do sommersalts to get under the cap every year so they probably are not happy that Pouncey will be asking for Alex Mack money so in a roundabout way this may wind up helping us in the long term if Pittsburgh has to make some difficult contract decisions next year and they will.
but

but

ii thought the stupid jags offered a ridiculous contract because they do not want to win

and not only were they screwing themselves but they were pissing off every team in the laegue by paying such a ridiculous amount for a center

i am so confused

perhaps someone shot their mouth off for nothing, just a thought

i think matching the contract was a good move

but

but

ii thought the stupid jags offered a ridiculous contract because they do not want to win

and not only were they screwing themselves but they were pissing off every team in the laegue by paying such a ridiculous amount for a center

i am so confused

LOL, take a pill Francis.

Jags make a stupid offer that was high enough to give false hope to their fanbase but low enough that it was matched.

Window dressing.

Mack won.

The Browns waste time and some money.

Moving on. You can continue to melt if you want though.

regarding Alex Mack:

i'm not familiar with all of the ins and out of the transition tag, but here it goes.

the Browns want to sign Mack to a long term deal, which he seems like he doesn't want to do.

if the Browns signed Mack to the Franchise tag, it's likely no one would have made him an offer, due to the picks they'd have to give up.

there are rumors that a team may try to offer Mack a long term deal with an enormous first year in it, with the thought that the Browns won't match it.

BUT, what if they did? they would end up with what they wanted, Mack signed to a long term deal. and they have the cap room to do it.

IF this is what they were thinking, it makes more sense that they used the Transition tag, and it really wasn't just about the 1.6 Million.
:moneybag:

Re - Mack situation

Ragging on Jax for past draft blunders and poor play while dismissing Cleveland's blunders is a bit hypocritical, no? The current GM in Jax didn't draft a punter in the 3rd round. I see both teams as potential teams on the rise assuming they both get a QB that can play at an NFL caliber level.
For any non-Browns fans who wander in here... just know that Bracie is like your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving. He's a little crazy, but he's still family and we have to invite him. Sure, he might go into a random tirade about Vietnam or Illuminati or past Jags drafts. Just ignore him and have another piece of pie.

Soulfly's not going to like this guy's critique of his guy Garappolo...

NFL Draft Cheatsheet: QBsThursday, April 10, 2014

NFL draft season is an exciting time filled with DraftBreakdown cut-ups, egocentric Twitter wars, and ridiculous anonymous “scout” quotes. There are very few things I love more.

Who is the most underrated?

LSU QB Zach Mettenberger.

At 6’5’, 230 pounds, Mettenberger looks like he was genetically engineered by the same Russian team responsible for Ivan Drago, except instead of being asked to win the cold war, Mettenberger was tasked with playing quarterback in the NFL.

If having prototypical size was all that mattered, though, Ryan Leaf would be a Hall of Famer. Fortunately, Mettenberger has displayed several other traits that should translate well to the NFL.

First and foremost, he has one of the biggest arms in this draft and throws the prettiest deep ball I have seen. There is not a single throw Mettenberger cannot make, and he can drive the ball through the tightest of windows. He also has shown the ability to throw with a bit more touch, but it is something he still needs to develop.

Secondly, Mettenberger operated a pro-style offense under former NFL offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. He progresses through reads quickly and makes the correct decisions on most occasions. He also understands pre-snap reads, checking to the correct plays more often than not.

Finally, Mettenberger stands tall and delivers strikes in the face of pressure as well as any other quarterback in this class. He is always willing to take the big hit to make a play and seems unfazed by players around his feet. Better pocket awareness could take the need to take the big hit away, however, and that brings us to Mettenberger’s biggest issue.

The real weakness holding Mettenberger back is his lack of pocket awareness and mobility, an issue magnified by the ACL injury suffered last December that sidelined him until Wednesday's LSU Pro Day. Not every quarterback has to be a great athlete, as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning can attest, but both Manning and Brady have a great sense of what is going on around them, and an outstanding ability to move around in the pocket to buy more time. Mettenberger has not shown that trait, and as a result he often takes unwarranted sacks and negative plays.

That lack of mobility certainly limits his potential, but if he lands in a vertical passing offense like the ones employed by Bruce Arians in Arizona or Norv Turner in Minnesota, Mettenberger has a chance to be a solid contributor at the next level.

Bold Prediction

Zach Mettenberger will turn out to be the best quarterback in this draft.

The love letter I wrote to Mettenberger earlier in this piece should be enough to show I like the guy, but this prediction has much more to do with the fragility at the top of the class.

The point is there is no surefire franchise quarterback in this draft, and there is a significantly better than zero chance all the top guys falter in some way in the NFL. If that happens and Mettenberger ends up in the right system, there is a future in which Mettenberger is the cream of 2014’s crop.
ETA: http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46863/60/nfl-draft-cheatsheet-qbs
Mettenberger suddenly seems to be getting press, but I have thought for a while that he would be a great high 2nd round pick for the Texans, Vikes or Browns.

His arm was noticeable the first time showed up at LSU spring practice. Beautiful throws. Now I wonder if he's one of these guys whose stock suddenly sees him rise into the 1st. Anyway getting Watkins in the top of the 1st and Zach in the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd would be a bonanza for Cleveland. Just wish Turner was still around, but hey it might be there for the taking.

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=30901

...Demoff and Mack took advantage fairly and squarely of the opportunity presented by the Browns. But more likely, the victims are the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Imagine a 4-12 team without a star quarterback, receiver, cornerback, pass rusher or running back making a center its highest-paid player. How dumb is that?
Ross Tucker‏@RossTuckerNFL28 mins

Nothing in Mack contract would prevent Browns from matching. Why'd Jacksonville waste their time?

...Demoff and Mack took advantage fairly and squarely of the opportunity presented by the Browns. But more likely, the victims are the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Imagine a 4-12 team without a star quarterback, receiver, cornerback, pass rusher or running back making a center its highest-paid player. How dumb is that?

Nothing in Mack contract would prevent Browns from matching. Why'd Jacksonville waste their time?
I don't think it's so dumb to make building on the offensive line a priority. That's true for both teams.

http://q.gs/6cB0T

Cleveland Browns have landed a big traditional full backApril 14th, 2014|
Categories : Fantasy
According to the Beacon Journal the Cleveland Browns have signed Chris Pressley, a traditional fullback they hope will pave the way for running back Ben Tate. Pressley was a former Cincinnati Bengals full back, that is a true traditional full back.

Pressley is a huge kid, weighing in at 260 pounds. He is a very big blocking back that can move relatively well for a big man. From 2004 to 2009, Pressley played for Wisconsin Badgers under head coaches Barry Alvarez (2004–05) and Bret Bielema (2005–09). Pressley’s collegiate statistics were not outstanding, but his hard work ethic and willingness to sacrifice his body landed him on an NFL roster after going undrafted in 2009. I have to agree with Tony Grossi, I am sure that Ben Tate of the Browns is extremely happy and smiling after this signing.

but

but

i am so confused

LOL, take a pill Francis.

Jags make a stupid offer that was high enough to give false hope to their fanbase but low enough that it was matched.

Window dressing.

Mack won.

The Browns waste time and some money.

Moving on. You can continue to melt if you want though.
lol

you're something else

Raiderfan32904 said:
Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt38m

Johnny Manziel will visit with #Browns this weekend.
This is the news that Browns have been guarding. Smokescreen? I don't think so. But we'll see. TBH, I think Johnny is just what the doc ordered for Browns football.
have not been guarding it. Been very open they woild have private workouts with all of tge top qbs.

So that they could get him in two years.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt38m

This is the news that Browns have been guarding. Smokescreen? I don't think so. But we'll see. TBH, I think Johnny is just what the doc ordered for Browns football.
says the guy who wants watkins or one of the tackles...

say it with me know:

we will not draft a qb @ 4

Raiderfan32904 said:
Gil Brandt@Gil_Brandt38m

says the guy who wants watkins or one of the tackles...say it with me know:

we can only hope and pray.

Soulfy you did the thread on cost associated with Super Bowl winners.

Have you noted the following tidbits from two other teams in the AFCN?

Aaron Wilson ‏ @ RavensInsider 3h

Ravens attempt to lower Haloti Ngata's $16 million cap figure earlier this offseason was unsuccessful, per sources. Numbers 'unrealistic'

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏ @ NFL_ATL 2h

Ravens offered Haloti Ngata a 'lucrative long-term' extension this offseason, per @ AlbertBreer. No dice. He'll count $16M against the cap.

Albert Breer ‏ @ AlbertBreer 2h

On Ngata, the deal the Ravens' offered was similar in concept to the Terrell Suggs deal -- aimed at allowing him to retire in Baltimore.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/04/12/Steelers-could-see-Maurkice-Pouncey-s-price-go-way-up/stories/201404120099

Steelers could see Maurkice Pouncey's price go way up

April 11, 2014 11:33 PM

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The price for the Steelers to sign center Maurkice Pouncey to a new contract just took another twist, thanks to Alex Mack.

Mack is a free agent to whom the Cleveland Browns applied the transition tag, the only player besides Steelers linebacker Jason Worilds to get that designation in the NFL this year. Mack signed a five-year, $42 million offer sheet with the Jacksonville Jaguars, and the Browns decided to match it rather than let him go and receive nothing in return.

That makes Mack the highest-paid center in the NFL. Maurkice Pouncey can justify saying he should be the highest paid....
We worked out McCarron and the plan seems to work them all out so no one can claim that if we work out QB-X that it has any speical significance because we're working them all out..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

A.J. McCarron is the latest QB to work out for the BrownsPosted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT

The Browns are expected to kick the tires on every quarterback prospect before the NFL draft, and next in line is Alabama’s A.J. McCarron.

McCarron is conducting a private workout today for the Browns, Adam Schefter ‏of ESPN reports.

Although McCarron was a Heisman Trophy runner-up at Alabama, he wouldn’t appear to be an option with the Browns’ first pick, No. 4 overall. He would also seem like a reach with the 26th overall pick, which the Browns acquired from the Colts in the Trent Richardson trade.

But he could be an option for the Browns with their second-round pick, or with either of their picks in the third round (the Browns have their own third-round pick and Pittsburgh’s, which it acquired in a draft-day trade last year when the Steelers wanted an extra pick to take safety Shamarko Thomas.)

The Browns currently have only two quarterbacks (Brian Hoyer and Alex Tanney) on the roster and will almost certainly draft at least one. If the Browns decide to go in another direction in the first round, McCarron could be the choice on Day Two of the draft.

Bracie, nice post... Good reading.

The cost associated thread tho, was a study on Franchise QBs only... and how their inflated salary/cap hits may/may not prevent teams from being able to win B's.

Tho your example likely shows what a terrible signing Flacco was, and how it's hindering them already

Follow my mock draft here, and let me know what you guys think so far...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=705805
I do not like trading up for Beckham, I know how good he could be but we have enough little receivers already.
plays big. #2 WR on my board.

i understand where you're coming from, but think he's a perfect compliment to gordon
Get me a BIG corner, instead.

Thank you.

Follow my mock draft here, and let me know what you guys think so far...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=705805
I do not like trading up for Beckham, I know how good he could be but we have enough little receivers already.
plays big. #2 WR on my board.

i understand where you're coming from, but think he's a perfect compliment to gordon
if we go ot at 4 then get a corner and a qb at 26 and 35 then come back with a wr that falls at 68. Or trade up into the 50's to get him. Our entire wr corps sans Gordon ( if Charles Johnson does not pan out) will be under six feet with Beckham. Will cause red zone problems. We punted little receivers when we signed Hawkins. Burleson doesn't help matters, but he is only on a one year deal.

Users who are viewing this thread