What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denard 'Shoelace' Robinson and his Chris Johnson potential (1 Viewer)

Huge Michigan fan here that saw pretty much every game of Denard's college career. He's definitely talented from a speed standpoint, but someone mentioned Dexter McCluster and I think that's a MUCH better comparison than Chris Johnson. I don't see any way that he'll ever be a starting RB, and I honestly don't see him ever playing a full season if he does become a starter at some point - he's way too small and injury prone. As a Michigan fan I want to see him to succeed in the NFL, but I don't have a lot of confidence.
BINGO!

Huge Michigan fan here too, and couldn't agree more with this. He has awesome speed, but his body is not prepped to take a pounding like a RB. Do I see him never lining up as a RB? No, I can see them mixing him in

for all sorts of crazy plays. He has a ton of talent. I even see him maybe returning punts if they'd give him a chance. But having watched every game he played, he was banged up a lot. Played with heart, but took a

pounding (I blame more on the play calling, which seemed to be the same 3-4 plays).

Robinson has to reinvent his running style to last as a back in the NFL. Pad level and ball security are major issue if a team wants to do more than use him on more than a few touches a game out of the backfield...

Typical Jaguars. Franklin went ahead of Robinson. You could have traded up for him. Stacy and Barner went after. Makes no sense to gamble on a project who at best won't be better than Franklin. They didn't learn from Matt Jones?They make picks like this and leave without a QB smfh
He was a 5th round pick. It's a great place to take a chance on talent rather than make a safe pick that will never be more than a back-up and he has more talent than those 3 you mentioned put together.

Matt Jones was a 1st round pick with a coke problem. Really no comparison. FWIW, Jones was actually starting to produce on the field before the drugs took him down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical Jaguars. Franklin went ahead of Robinson. You could have traded up for him. Stacy and Barner went after. Makes no sense to gamble on a project who at best won't be better than Franklin. They didn't learn from Matt Jones?They make picks like this and leave without a QB smfh
He was a 5th round pick. It's a great place to take a chance on talent rather than make a safe pick that will never be more than a back-up and he has more talent than those 3 you mentioned put together. Matt Jones was a 1st round pick with a coke problem. Really no comparison. FWIW, Jones was actually starting to produce on the field before the drugs took him down.
My point was you could actually hire a employee with a proper resume. If you really feel the need for a RB why not take one that was successful to a degree? Is he more talented than Latavius Murry who the Raiders took in the 6th? You're defending one of the most poorly ran franchises in the league. Jacksonville has no room to gamble. The fact that they possibly scouted 100+ rb prospects and ended with a Denard Robinson project is laughable. Every pick is crucial to the Jags but end up with Ace Sanders of the world. Yea lets let MJD walk for nothing, we have Denard Robinson waiting in the wings! (Wtf) Meanwhile let's not aggressively address the mess we have at QB. Hell lets call Pat White up while we're at it.

ShaHBucks said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
He was a 5th round pick. It's a great place to take a chance on talent rather than make a safe pick that will never be more than a back-up and he has more talent than those 3 you mentioned put together. Matt Jones was a 1st round pick with a coke problem. Really no comparison. FWIW, Jones was actually starting to produce on the field before the drugs took him down.
You're defending one of the most poorly ran franchises in the league.
This is a brand new regime, even down to the owner as of a year ago. What the previous regime did has no bearing on our judgment of this regime's moves.

ShaHBucks said:
PlasmaDogPlasma said:
You're defending one of the most poorly ran franchises in the league.
This is a brand new regime, even down to the owner as of a year ago. What the previous regime did has no bearing on our judgment of this regime's moves.
I just seen the hired Chris Polian as scouting director. Nothing new..

Denard has elite talent, the other guys going in the 5th can't match Denard as an athlete. Can the staff teach him and coach him into a RB or WR? Tough to say, but if Debard fails it won't be because of his attitude or ability.

Sinrman said:
Huge Michigan fan here that saw pretty much every game of Denard's college career. He's definitely talented from a speed standpoint, but someone mentioned Dexter McCluster and I think that's a MUCH better comparison than Chris Johnson. I don't see any way that he'll ever be a starting RB, and I honestly don't see him ever playing a full season if he does become a starter at some point - he's way too small and injury prone. As a Michigan fan I want to see him to succeed in the NFL, but I don't have a lot of confidence.
BINGO!

Huge Michigan fan here too, and couldn't agree more with this. He has awesome speed, but his body is not prepped to take a pounding like a RB. Do I see him never lining up as a RB? No, I can see them mixing him in

for all sorts of crazy plays. He has a ton of talent. I even see him maybe returning punts if they'd give him a chance. But having watched every game he played, he was banged up a lot. Played with heart, but took a

pounding (I blame more on the play calling, which seemed to be the same 3-4 plays).
You have to admit, the potential of seeing a Wolverine QB hand off to a Wolverine QB is at least interesting to Michigan fans.

Denard's legs are big enough to play RB. His upper body is small...that's why he doesn't look like he's 200lbs. Put on some upper mass and cover the damn ball and he'll be fine.

Not saying it can't happen, but has any college QB successfully converted to an NFL RB?

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King believes rookie RB/WR Denard Robinson could be a "Kordell Stewart-slash kind of player" for the Jaguars.
Like Stewart, Robinson will see snaps all over the field, but unlike Stewart, his "home" position won't be quarterback. We also don't expect Shoelace to be doing any punting. The Jags want to get Robinson 10-15 snaps per game as a rookie. That's not bad for a fifth-round pick, but won't be enough playing time to make Robinson an option in redraft leagues. He's going to be a gadget player.

Source: Sports Illustrated
The key is that his involvement is being talked about again as "snaps" not "touches".

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King believes rookie RB/WR Denard Robinson could be a "Kordell Stewart-slash kind of player" for the Jaguars.
Like Stewart, Robinson will see snaps all over the field, but unlike Stewart, his "home" position won't be quarterback. We also don't expect Shoelace to be doing any punting. The Jags want to get Robinson 10-15 snaps per game as a rookie. That's not bad for a fifth-round pick, but won't be enough playing time to make Robinson an option in redraft leagues. He's going to be a gadget player.

The key is that his involvement is being talked about again as "snaps" not "touches".
Just to be clear, I did not create this thread for redraft purposes, dynasty only. Anyone expecting Denard to possibly be a useful starter this year is kidding themselves. This is a 2014 and beyond play.

Just picked him up in a 24 team dynasty league at 3.13, so pick 61 overall (IDP)

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson is listed as an "OW" on the Jaguars' official depth chart.
The obvious guess for the designation is "offensive weapon." It's accurate in that Shoelace is expected to be utilized in a Kordell Stewart-esque slash role for the Jags, taking snaps all over the field. Similar "offensive weapons" such as Dexter McCluster and Brad Smith have had trouble making an impact in recent seasons, but Robinson could avoid a similar fate if the majority of his snaps come at running back. Even though he's ticketed for 10-15 snaps as a rookie, Robinson shouldn't be a factor in redraft leagues.

Source: jaguars.com

I have seen Denard in person at a Michigan BB game. They had a meet and greet with some football players. Denard is almost on the tiny side in street clothes. I would say 5-11 180-185 Denard does not have a thick frame at all. I love his speed but really do not see him ever being a feature RB due to his stature.
I believe he weighed in at or near 200 during the pre draft process.

I don't make nearly as big of a deal as many around here when it comes to specific body types, weights, speed metrics, etc. I'll note outliers, but as long as they're in the range of 'ideal' I don't note a problem. 180-85 would be a problem, 200 is not.
According to RW Percy Harvin is 5'11" 184 lbs.

I don't think you can determine future simply by comparing body stats, but Harvin is one guy who came out of college with that RB/WR role and he maintained it in the pros.

As an aside Jax could really use that kind of thing, skill position versatility and masking their plays more.

He looks like a slot WR to me. The kind who will be more useful in NFL terms than FF.

Robinson's outlook is complicated by the fact that Jacksonville also took Ace Sanders, who I think has excellent potential as a return man/slot WR.

With Shorts, Blackmon, and Sanders in the mix, I'd be surprised if Robinson got enough looks to become more than a bye week option in the next few years.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson is listed as an "OW" on the Jaguars' official depth chart.
The obvious guess for the designation is "offensive weapon." It's accurate in that Shoelace is expected to be utilized in a Kordell Stewart-esque slash role for the Jags, taking snaps all over the field. Similar "offensive weapons" such as Dexter McCluster and Brad Smith have had trouble making an impact in recent seasons, but Robinson could avoid a similar fate if the majority of his snaps come at running back. Even though he's ticketed for 10-15 snaps as a rookie, Robinson shouldn't be a factor in redraft leagues.

Well his roster number is No. 29, so that means the Jags are pretty much saying he's technically a RB.

Rotoworld:

Although he's listed as an "offensive weapon" on the Jaguars' website, fifth-round pick Denard Robinson still meets with the running backs.
Shoelace has taken practice reps as a receiver, quarterback and return man, but his "home" position remains running back. Being labeled as an "offensive weapon" speaks to Robinson's unique athletic ability, but as Dexter McCluster has shown, it's not always a good thing. It would be best for Robinson's future to more-or-less settle at one position.

Rotoworld:

Jaguars coach Gus Bradley concedes fifth-round RB/WR Denard Robinson is a "work in progress."
Robinson has struggled with drops and fumbles early in training camp. He's a long-term project with upside. "He’s got tremendous ability," said Bradley, "but we’ve just got to continue to refine him. And I think from OTAs to minicamps to now, he’s made really good progress. He’s got to continue to do that."

Source: Florida Times Union

Photographer helping Robinson secure ball

By Paul Kuharsky | ESPN.com

The Jacksonville Jaguars are turning Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson into what they hope is an NFL OW.

Their offensive weapon might work in all kind of spots, but he'll be a running back most of all.

One big issue that could keep him for being dangerous is ball security.

In a transcript of coach Gus Bradley's Sunday press session, I found this interesting answer to a question about Robinson and ball security.

“Well it’s addressed, if not (every day), almost every day," Bradley said. "It’s more shown. We have a photographer out here who takes pictures, snapshots of them holding the ball, and it’s shown in team meetings just to show them if there’s any air. So he has to have that mindset, because his teammates need to trust him.

"It’s hard to get on the field if you can’t protect the ball when one of our major deals of this organization is it’s all about the ball. He’s made leaps and bounds from where he was; again it’s the consistency with him.”

I'm sure running backs are shown ball security reminders regularly on film. But practice film is a broad thing, and detailed analysis of how a player is holding the ball probably doesn't present itself on a regular basis in film of 22 players.

A photographer narrowly focused on such things can provide much more granular detail, and that can serve as daily reminders to a guy like Robinson.

I almost started a thread titled, "Denard Robinson and his Armanti Edwards potential!"
Well said
Armanti Edwards was much the same as yesterday, which is to say he's starting to make me a believer. Perhaps this is the year he can finally shake the moniker of being a camp performer.
Armanti Edwards has caught my ire at times, but today he was eye-catching, if not a little infuriating. Edwards is making the most difficult catches easily, but struggled with short routes. On deep posts and slants he's great, but he dropped two easy out routes at different points of the day. If I had to speculate I'd assume this is because Edwards doesn't have the time to spot the ball and prepare for the catch on quick-twitch routes. Overall he had a great day, but if he wants to excel as a slot receiver he'll need to improve.
Perhaps after three years of learning the wide receiver position, this could finally be the year that Edwards bursts onto the scene.“He knows how to run routes and get out of his cut,” says Proehl. “But more importantly he knows how to read a defense and where the holes are, what we’re trying to accomplish offensively, what’s the concept of the route. He’s always been able to catch the ball and he’s a great athlete. And now he’s figuring out how to play the position, and you see it. He’s had a great camp.”Proehl had this to say last month in an interview with the Charlotte Observer:So far this offseason, Edwards has earned plenty of praise from coaches, including wide receivers coach Ricky Proehl.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson is practicing some Wildcat at Jaguars camp.
The Jags shouldn't hesitate to take Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne off the field and get creative. Robinson, who of course played quarterback at Michigan, is very capable of being a dual threat out of the Wildcat. The Jags are trying to get the ball in his hands any way possible, whether that's in the return game, as a gadget guy, or as a change-of-pace back behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson is practicing some Wildcat at Jaguars camp.
The Jags shouldn't hesitate to take Blaine Gabbert or Chad Henne off the field and get creative. Robinson, who of course played quarterback at Michigan, is very capable of being a dual threat out of the Wildcat. The Jags are trying to get the ball in his hands any way possible, whether that's in the return game, as a gadget guy, or as a change-of-pace back behind Maurice Jones-Drew.

If he's not a true RB I'm not interested in him in Dynasty Leagues. I have my doubts he can be a "real" RB.

"chris johnson has mainly done what hes done because he runs a 4.2?" huhhhhhhhhh? you're not giving him much credit are you?

I think people are trying to find any small speck of hope and optimism with this guy. If you paid next to nothing for him and have an extra bench slot then sure, but please don't kid yourself, there is a next to nothing chance this guy will ever be a start-able asset on a fantasy roster ever.

Rotoworld:

The Jaguars have decreased rookie Denard Robinson's workload in camp due to ball security woes and mental mistakes.
Robinson opened camp working on special teams and "just about every offensive formation," but dropped passes, fumbled handoffs, and botched punts. "We did take less off of him," coach Gus Bradley confirmed. "We've got him more toward kickoff returns, some of the things he's doing offensively. We're taking some things off of his plate to see if that just frees up his mind a little bit."

Source: Associated Press

Rotoworld:

The Jaguars are still listing Denard Robinson's position as "offensive weapon," and are "serious" about using him all over the field.
Robinson is expected to see time as a receiver, running back, quarterback and kick returner. Operating primarily as a running back this summer, Robinson has 27 rushes for 94 yards (3.48 YPC) through three preseason games. Insisting on referring to a fifth-round rookie as an "offensive weapon" seems destined to end poorly, but alas. No higher than third on the Jags' running back depth chart, Robinson is off the fantasy radar.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

The Jaguars are still listing Denard Robinson's position as "offensive weapon," and are "serious" about using him all over the field.
Robinson is expected to see time as a receiver, running back, quarterback and kick returner. Operating primarily as a running back this summer, Robinson has 27 rushes for 94 yards (3.48 YPC) through three preseason games. Insisting on referring to a fifth-round rookie as an "offensive weapon" seems destined to end poorly, but alas. No higher than third on the Jags' running back depth chart, Robinson is off the fantasy radar.

If Denard can put it together (which seems questionable) there's no reason he can't get something like 20 yards rushing, 3-5 receptions for 20-30 yards, and 20-30 yards passing. that's somewhere in the 6-12 point range in PPR (depends on scoring obviously, but Sproles-lite like). If your league gives return points, that might add a couple. Not stellar, but not too shabby for a flex or RB2 (if you go elsewhere early)

Rotoworld:

The Jaguars have changed Denard Robinson's position from "offensive weapon" to wide receiver.
The official reasoning is that the league requested a formal position, but "offensive weapon" was a bit much for a player who has three touches through three games. Still more running back than receiver, Robinson is miles from re-draft relevance.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter

There is something so wrong with this franchise - Del Rio, Mularkey, and Bradley, none of them can coach? Mike Smith went somewhere else, he's done fine (unfortunately).

All of them seem to have the same dang team every year.

Rotoworld:

The Jaguars have changed Denard Robinson's position from "offensive weapon" to wide receiver.
The official reasoning is that the league requested a formal position, but "offensive weapon" was a bit much for a player who has three touches through three games. Still more running back than receiver, Robinson is miles from re-draft relevance.

Source: Mark Long on Twitter
anyone know if MFL will change this as well this season?

That's incredibly disappointing. I'd rather see Denard put on some weight and develop at RB than battle with Sanders to be the slot WR. I'm not even really sure he fits there very well.

Rotoworld:

Jaguars rookie WR/RB Denard Robinson rushed four times for 15 yards in Sunday's Week 8 loss to San Francisco.
Robinson was bottled up aside from a sharp-looking seven-yard run up the middle. Robinson has been promoted to the Jaguars' No. 3 running back, behind Maurice Jones-Drew and Justin Forsett. He's passed Jordan Todman.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson rushed four times for three yards in the Jaguars' Week 10 win over the Titans.
Robinson fumbled and lost playing time to third-string RB Jordan Todman, who proceeded to vulture a touchdown from Maurice Jones-Drew from five yards out in the third quarter. Robinson remains Jacksonville's No. 2 running back, though he's clearly on a short leash. He has value only in Dynasty leagues.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson was held without a touch in Jacksonville's Week 11 loss to the Cardinals.
Shoelace is still being punished for his Week 10 fumble. Jordan Todman operated as Maurice Jones-Drew's backup, totaling four yards on three touches. Neither player is on the re-draft league radar.

Related: Jordan Todman

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson lost a yard on two carries in Jacksonville's Week 14 win over the Texans.

Robinson was forced into action in the fourth quarter after Maurice Jones-Drew suffered a hamstring injury and Jordan Todman departed with a cramp. Shoelace headed back to the bench once Todman was ready to return. Bypassed for gadget duties by Ace Sanders, Robinson has no real role in the Jaguars' offense.

I'm surprised they're not using him more now. The first 8 weeks didn't surprise me, but after the bye and the season lost I thought they'd begin to give him a longer look. Not fantasy useful, but enough to start asking questions about next year. No dice.

I'm surprised they're not using him more now. The first 8 weeks didn't surprise me, but after the bye and the season lost I thought they'd begin to give him a longer look. Not fantasy useful, but enough to start asking questions about next year. No dice.
He's behind Todman at RB and Ace Sanders as the gadget guy... it's surprising only because a couple weeks ago they said he had been promoted to 2nd on the depth chart... then he disappears again almost immediately. Weird.

I don't take too much away from last night though - everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball, running straight ahead, and primarily ensuring he didn't fumble.

May be worth a flyer for dynasty leagues where he's been cut if MJD is out with that hamstring - perhaps he shows something over the next couple weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread