What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denard 'Shoelace' Robinson and his Chris Johnson potential (1 Viewer)

Dyno owner, I'm not giving a thought to cutting him until may.
Why May? Wait through training camp.
if they draft a RB I'm out. More likely to find a flier in may than August.
ah yes, there are leagues with roster caps and waivers in the off season. I don't like those rules.
it's way more complex than that. Roster and positional limits. Taxi. Contracts and salary cap. Different ways to control your own beyond their contract. Free agent auction.I'll dump him before the auction and rookie draft if the jags add a back.

Dyno owner, I'm not giving a thought to cutting him until may.
Why May? Wait through training camp.
if they draft a RB I'm out. More likely to find a flier in may than August.
ah yes, there are leagues with roster caps and waivers in the off season. I don't like those rules.
it's way more complex than that. Roster and positional limits. Taxi. Contracts and salary cap. Different ways to control your own beyond their contract. Free agent auction.I'll dump him before the auction and rookie draft if the jags add a back.
:hifive: I have him in a deep salary cap league too, but if I drop him he'd cost more to get back. I was thinking normal leagues here.

I have him in my salary/contract league. The penalty isn't such that he is undroppable. But, I am going to hold him through next season to see what happens. There aren't a lot of free agent RB's that the Jags could sign that would scare me off? Maybe a Joique Bell or Ben Tate. I just don't see a lot of guys that are good enough and can stay healthy.

It will be interesting to see what happens with MJD and the draft. Would the Jags really sign MJD to a deal longer than 2 years? MJD has got to be looking for something big, knowing this is probably his last contract.

Best case scenario, MJD stays for two years and the Jags don't draft a RB early. It would buy Robinson a little more time to develop.

Ace seems to have grabbed that OW role there...
i don't think denard was ever set to take that role from ace. The todman stuff though. I'm baffled. This team blows and todman isn't a long term answer. Shoelaces might be.

Last edited by a moderator:
KCitons said:
I have him in my salary/contract league. The penalty isn't such that he is undroppable. But, I am going to hold him through next season to see what happens. There aren't a lot of free agent RB's that the Jags could sign that would scare me off? Maybe a Joique Bell or Ben Tate. I just don't see a lot of guys that are good enough and can stay healthy.

It will be interesting to see what happens with MJD and the draft. Would the Jags really sign MJD to a deal longer than 2 years? MJD has got to be looking for something big, knowing this is probably his last contract.

Best case scenario, MJD stays for two years and the Jags don't draft a RB early. It would buy Robinson a little more time to develop.
MJD would be crazy to stay in Jacksonville. Nobody will pay him big bucks, so he may as we'll go someplace where he has a shot at a title.

KCitons said:

MJD would be crazy to stay in Jacksonville. Nobody will pay him big bucks, so he may as we'll go someplace where he has a shot at a title.
I agree. The problem remains, what is he worth to Jacksonville, and what is he worth to another team?

I think NFL teams are hesitant to spend big money on free agent RB's MJD is going to be 29 at the start of next season. He has 2, maybe 3 years left.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson said he's happy to have a defined role as a running back heading into the offseason.

Robinson was a quarterback at Michigan, an "offensive weapon" when he first got to Jacksonville and then a receiver before settling in as a running back. It's understandable that his head was spinning as he rushed 20 times for just 66 yards all year, failing to climb the depth chart. With a big leap, Robinson should be able to carve out a role in the 2014 backfield as Maurice Jones-Drew projects to walk in free agency. "Before it was up in the air what position I would be playing. Now it's more comfortable," Robinson said. "I know what I'm doing now and I can just take on the role and try to do what it takes to get better."

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Jaguars GM David Caldwell says the team is "really optimistic" about second-year RB Denard Robinson.
Caldwell later said Robinson needs to bulk up about 15 pounds to become a better finisher. With Maurice Jones-Drew and Jordan Todman's contracts both up, Caldwell could be opening the door on Robinson being the lead back in Jacksonville next season. Robinson gained 66 yards on only 20 carries in 2013.

Source: John Oehser on Twitter

I doubt he becomes a valuable FF player but he is a very hard worker and by all accounts a great guy and teammate. Seems like the kind of player that has a shot at achieving NFL value but ay never attain FF value. I bet they get someone in free agency ahead of him and give him this season to add weight and develop RB skills.

It would be really interesting to see a starting RB who can really throw the ball.

Could change the game.
I'd wager there are already better RB's than Denard Robinson in the NFL that throw the ball at least as well as he does.
Reminds me of Randle El - who threw 8 passes in his rookie year, less than 5 any year after that. Of course, coaching might make a difference but I wouldn't expect Denard to be used much as a passer. (though he might be the best passer the Jags have...)

He either needs a very creative OC or a coach willing to give it to him 18 times.

In some ways, Ace Sanders provides something similar (speedy, electric, short guy) with his receptions. Surely they wanted some attention off of their starting WRs and he provides that in a strictly limited role. When we got off to creative tangents last summer, it was fun, but a quick pass to ace seems so much more familiar and easy going.

If they don't sign another back that is clearly starting material-then Denard (with MJD gone) has a role as RB and things change. For spot excitement, an extra threat...it's ace because it's more comfy.

That's the thing, it seems denard is moving on from the gimmick role, focusing on building strength so he can become a RB solely which is where I think his skills fit up. Battling Jordan Todman for the job leaves a lot of upside which is worth an investment of at least an early 3rd if not higher. Has anyone bought recently?

That's the thing, it seems denard is moving on from the gimmick role, focusing on building strength so he can become a RB solely which is where I think his skills fit up. Battling Jordan Todman for the job leaves a lot of upside which is worth an investment of at least an early 3rd if not higher. Has anyone bought recently?
He just doesn't look like a RB to me. Maybe adding bulk would help, but it may also take away some of his quicks and agility. When he runs it looks like a QB scrambling. I think Todman has a much better chance of succeeding in the role than Robinson. Dernard looks like a gimmick player to me or a future WR/RB hybrid type not a true RB.

The only successful QB to RB conversion that I can think of is, Michael Robinson and he was converted to FB.

He just doesn't look like a RB to me. Maybe adding bulk would help, but it may also take away some of his quicks and agility. When he runs it looks like a QB scrambling. I think Todman has a much better chance of succeeding in the role than Robinson. Dernard looks like a gimmick player to me or a future WR/RB hybrid type not a true RB.

The only successful QB to RB conversion that I can think of is, Michael Robinson and he was converted to FB.
i disagree. What I saw when I watched him at michigan is a guy with the ability to run north-south who has good vision in the open field. Did you watch his carries this year or what are you basing your evaluation on? I didn't expect Denard to do much this year so it doesn't discourage. Always felt he was a long term project. While there are no comp's, I don't think I've ever seen a QB with the north-south skills he has and a 6' that's close to 200 lbs with room for bulk. To me, Denard is the outlier. Add bulk and work on reading his blocks while taking a hand off because the vision is there from what I saw...

i disagree. What I saw when I watched him at michigan is a guy with the ability to run north-south who has good vision in the open field. Did you watch his carries this year or what are you basing your evaluation on? I didn't expect Denard to do much this year so it doesn't discourage. Always felt he was a long term project. While there are no comp's, I don't think I've ever seen a QB with the north-south skills he has and a 6' that's close to 200 lbs with room for bulk. To me, Denard is the outlier. Add bulk and work on reading his blocks while taking a hand off because the vision is there from what I saw...
I saw very few NFL carries (but some) but watched him at Michigan as well. His last season they started using him at RB, but even then he still looked like a QB running with the ball.

I have Todman in one league and was offered Robinson for a mid 3rd (by an owner that's laways successful) and rejected him. Just not a believer.

We'll see I guess. I could be wrong.

He only played QB the last game or two of his college career and that was because he hurt his throwing shoulder. Not sure how you saw enough there to write him off.

I see a guy who has potential as a NFL RB. He needs to add weight to his legs and give him more power, but he doesn't look out of place to me. He seems to know when to stick his nose in there and get the extra yard and when to cut back. He has the frame to get bigger and more strength in his legs & trunk should not slow him down

You could do much worse with a mid-3rd. I'd revisit that trade especially if I was a Todman owner. I offered him for a 2 to the Todman owner in one league because I already own the duo in Armchair and was declined because the owner said he was already heavily invested in Robinson in other leagues. Not sure I would do a 3rd because there aren't too many young RB's out there right now outside of the influx of RBs in draft. However, I don't see you getting a better prospect with that pick

He only played QB the last game or two of his college career and that was because he hurt his throwing shoulder. Not sure how you saw enough there to write him off.

I see a guy who has potential as a NFL RB.
So you saw enough to think he could be a good NFL RB but I couldn't have possibly seen enough to not think he could be a good NFL RB?

Interesting. I just don't see it - everyone always likes to think hese guys have the frame to bulk up, but that usually never really works out. I'm not really counting on Todman anywhere so I see no reason to spend a third to acquire a potential backup to a RB that may not even be the starter if Jacksonville brings in a veteran back (including MJD returning after he finds a soft market) or spends a second day pick on a RB (which I do think is unlikely but possible).

So you saw enough to think he could be a good NFL RB but I couldn't have possibly seen enough to not think he could be a good NFL RB?

Interesting. I just don't see it - everyone always likes to think hese guys have the frame to bulk up, but that usually never really works out. I'm not really counting on Todman anywhere so I see no reason to spend a third to acquire a potential backup to a RB that may not even be the starter if Jacksonville brings in a veteran back (including MJD returning after he finds a soft market) or spends a second day pick on a RB (which I do think is unlikely but possible).
your statement was that he spent time at RB, but it was only for 3 games where he rushed for 320 yards averaging 7 ypc against South Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio State which aren't awful teams by any means.The guy rushed for nearly 4500 yards and he didnt play much his freshman year (350 yards). This puts him at 9th on the all-time rushing list for Big 10 guys. I dont see any other QB's close to that so I see somewhat of an outlier here.

Then there is this which I love:

your statement was that he spent time at RB, but it was only for 3 games where he rushed for 320 yards averaging 7 ypc against South Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio State which aren't awful teams by any means.
3 games in a 10-12 game season is spending time at RB - and we've seen plenty of college QBs that could run the ball at the college level (even in top conferences like the SEC), yet never made it in the NFL.

Can you list any QBs that have successfully been converted to NFL RBs? I don't think its an easy transition and I don't think Denarad Robinson has the build to do it.

One of us will be right. One of us will be wrong. I don't know that it will be me being right, necessarily. We'll see.

your statement was that he spent time at RB, but it was only for 3 games where he rushed for 320 yards averaging 7 ypc against South Carolina, Iowa, and Ohio State which aren't awful teams by any means.
3 games in a 10-12 game season is spending time at RB - and we've seen plenty of college QBs that could run the ball at the college level (even in top conferences like the SEC), yet never made it in the NFL.

Can you list any QBs that have successfully been converted to NFL RBs? I don't think its an easy transition and I don't think Denarad Robinson has the build to do it.

One of us will be right. One of us will be wrong. I don't know that it will be me being right, necessarily. We'll see.
So in 3 games where he was rushing for 7 ypc and 100+ you felt he didn't show any potential at RB. Interesting

how many QB's have rushed for even close to 4500 yards? Pat White was close, but obviously he's not near the same as Denard because he's rail thin. Jordan Lynch? Colin Kaep are the others. Denard is not the typical QB. I don't think you can make that comparison and use it as evidence.

I agree that he's far from a lock, but I think he's at least worth a 3rd to find out. Those types of picks are also far from a lock and his opportunity is ideal

Rotoworld:

Coach Gus Bradley said he's "intrigued to see" if Denard Robinson can have an impact at the running back position in 2014.
"I think he went through last year and said, ‘OK, I don’t want to go through that feeling again,'" Bradley said. "I don’t think [Robinson] is a gimmick guy. He can maybe run outside zone and get to the point where he runs north. But how can you tell off 10 runs?" Shoelace toted it just 20 times for 66 yards as a rookie. The Jaguars are going to give him ample opportunity to earn a bigger role.

Source: Florida Times Union

Rotoworld:

Coach Gus Bradley said he's "intrigued to see" if Denard Robinson can have an impact at the running back position in 2014.

"I think he went through last year and said, OK, I dont want to go through that feeling again,'" Bradley said. "I dont think [Robinson] is a gimmick guy. He can maybe run outside zone and get to the point where he runs north. But how can you tell off 10 runs?" Shoelace toted it just 20 times for 66 yards as a rookie. The Jaguars are going to give him ample opportunity to earn a bigger role.

read the article, beat writer is actually talking about how Denard will have to fight for roster spot. Gave me caution so I sold in one league for 4.04 and 5.01

Comments from the article...

Bradley admits he doesn’t know if Robinson has what it takes to transition from college quarterback to NFL running back, but he’ll see.

“I’m not going to say one way or another, but I’m really excited to find out. The guy is infectious, he has natural traits, the team gravitates toward him, he has explosiveness and he has really good vision so let’s give him a chance see what he has,” Bradley said.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson is up to 212 pounds this offseason.
Shoelace checked in at 199 pounds at last year's Combine. "He has taken a different approach," coach Gus Bradley said of Robinson's offseason. "He’s coming in to get ready and he understands he’s a running back." Robinson won't get a shot at the starting job, but is getting another opportunity to establish himself as a play-making, change-of-pace back. He's a name to file away in deeper PPR leagues.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Shoelace checked in at 199 pounds at last year's Combine. "He has taken a different approach," coach Gus Bradley said of Robinson's offseason. "He’s coming in to get ready and he understands he’s a running back." Robinson won't get a shot at the starting job, but is getting another opportunity to establish himself as a play-making, change-of-pace back. He's a name to file away in deeper PPR leagues.

A 212 lb Denard Robinson interests me.

The Jaguars plan let Denard Robinson and Jordan Todman compete for their No. 2 tailback job in training camp.

Robinson has converted to running back full-time, bulking up to 212 pounds after he measured 6-foot, 199 at the 2013 Combine. "Toby (Gerhart) comes in and he will be No. 1 on the depth chart," said Bradley "but he also knows there’s competition." Ideally, Robinson would develop into a homerun-hitting change of pace. Gerhart will be Jacksonville's workhorse runner and three-down back. Apr 25 - 1:56 PM

They need a better line and will hopefully be all set after the draft. Jax has some weapons that could be unleashed if they could find some time to "operate."

"I think we were just trying to figure him out and figure out where’s his strength and how can we best utilize his skills. We did that with a lot of guys and it takes some time to do that but I think we’ve honed in on it a little bit more." - Gus Bradley on Denard Robinson
Jacksonville Jaguars running back Denard Robinson had glowing reviews early in OTAs and training camp last season, but ultimately fizzled out as it was clear he struggled with the jump from college quarterback to NFL running back/wide receiver.

This offseason however, there seems to be nothing but praise for Robinson. He's bulked about about 15 pounds (212) and appears to still have his same game breaking speed, but more importantly he's shown reliable hands thus far in OTA practices, not dropping a single pass.

We don't know about his fumbling issues until the pads come on, but if Robinson can improve in his ball handling as well as show the ability to catch the ball reliably out of the Jaguars backfield, it could be a big asset on offense this season.

"I think we were just trying to figure him out and figure out where’s his strength and how can we best utilize his skills. We did that with a lot of guys and it takes some time to do that but I think we’ve honed in on it a little bit more." - Gus Bradley on Denard RobinsonJacksonville Jaguars running back Denard Robinson had glowing reviews early in OTAs and training camp last season, but ultimately fizzled out as it was clear he struggled with the jump from college quarterback to NFL running back/wide receiver.

This offseason however, there seems to be nothing but praise for Robinson. He's bulked about about 15 pounds (212) and appears to still have his same game breaking speed, but more importantly he's shown reliable hands thus far in OTA practices, not dropping a single pass.

We don't know about his fumbling issues until the pads come on, but if Robinson can improve in his ball handling as well as show the ability to catch the ball reliably out of the Jaguars backfield, it could be a big asset on offense this season.
Still don't see him as a CJ3 clone, but maybe a stronger and faster Danny Woodhead?

"I think we were just trying to figure him out and figure out where’s his strength and how can we best utilize his skills. We did that with a lot of guys and it takes some time to do that but I think we’ve honed in on it a little bit more." - Gus Bradley on Denard RobinsonJacksonville Jaguars running back Denard Robinson had glowing reviews early in OTAs and training camp last season, but ultimately fizzled out as it was clear he struggled with the jump from college quarterback to NFL running back/wide receiver.

Still don't see him as a CJ3 clone, but maybe a stronger and faster Danny Woodhead?
Totally different style of ball carrier. His style is why I made the reference to Johnson. Waits for it...waits for it...explode. That's when Johnson was at his best and that's how Denard ran in college. Denard got injured too easily in college and carried the ball like a loaf of bread, so it's good to read those are the two areas he has focused on most. He is doing the right things to make himself successful, time to see if he'll execute. I plan to hang onto him through preseason again.

Totally different style of ball carrier. His style is why I made the reference to Johnson. Waits for it...waits for it...explode. That's when Johnson was at his best and that's how Denard ran in college. Denard got injured too easily in college and carried the ball like a loaf of bread, so it's good to read those are the two areas he has focused on most. He is doing the right things to make himself successful, time to see if he'll execute. I plan to hang onto him through preseason again.
I see the similarities but Denard looks like CJ now, not when he was a rookie. Denard can turn the corner as fast as anyone but I'm more interested to see how much better he runs inside with his added size.

I see the similarities but Denard looks like CJ now, not when he was a rookie. Denard can turn the corner as fast as anyone but I'm more interested to see how much better he runs inside with his added size.
I think he has ran very well inside in the past, but it'll be interestign to see if his technique changed as a result of the added bulk. Hoping he's adjusted to take less violent blows too, going into protect mode is not a bad thing to mix in on occasion.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/06/17/fumbles-forgotten-jaguars-rb-denard-robinson-now-being-lauded-for-hands-ball/

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Denard Robinson was all over the field as a rookie with the Jacksonville Jaguars last year.

He lined up at quarterback, running back, receiver, punt returner, kickoff returner and even at gunner on both coverage units. Learning all those positions was easy compared to perfecting them.

The former Michigan star struggled with ball security, putting it on the ground way more often than the Jaguars wanted in practice and games. Amid those concerns, Robinson spent much of his first season on the sideline. He finished with 20 carries for 66 yards, misfired on his only pass attempt and fumbled three times.

The Jaguars responded by narrowing Robinson's role to running back. Robinson responded by working on his pass-catching and ball-handling skills relentlessly during the offseason.

Now, he's being lauded for his hands.

"He put the work in this offseason," receiver Cecil Shorts III said. "He was up here working out. He's a lot more confident in everything. He was a quarterback his entire life until last year. There's a difference between running from the shotgun and scrambling and actually looking in the holes and making cuts and doing stuff like that and playing against NFL talent week in and week out.

"It's a big difference. I think he's gotten comfortable with the offense. He understands his role. He understands what he needs to do get better, and I feel like he'll have an exciting year."

Robinson has been one of Jacksonville's standouts during organized team activities, which conclude with a mandatory, three-day minicamp this week. Until last Thursday, he hadn't put the ball on the ground once during dozens of opportunities. But then he dropped a short pass during 11-on-11 drills.

"It happens to everybody," said Robinson, a fifth-round draft pick in 2013. "I was trying to avoid it. I didn't want it to happen. That's what you prepare for. You don't want things like that to happen, but when adversity comes, what are you going to do? You get back up and move on to the next play."

Robinson's easygoing attitude has been a big reason he's been able to transition from star quarterback in college to role player in the NFL.

He welcomed the position change and did anything and everything asked of him last season — even if it wasn't always comfortable.

"We were just trying to figure him out and figure out where's his strength and how can we best utilize his skills," coach Gus Bradley said. "It takes some time to do that, but I think we've honed in on it a little bit more."

The Jaguars have settled on Robinson's role. There's no experimenting with him on punt/kick returns or at quarterback. Sure, he still might take a snap from the wildcat formation or maybe make a short throw as part of a trick play, but he's unlikely to heave the ball downfield or even be asked to get out in pass routes.

Most everything he's doing now is from the backfield, whether he's taking handoffs, pitches or short passes and then using his speed in space.

"It would be a mistake to start piling it back on him," offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch said. "We want to really give these guys their roles, give them their vision, connect them to it and then make sure their focus stays with that."

Robinson caught more than a hundred balls a day in the first four months of this year, working with Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne, friends and even family members in hopes of getting better.

"I played quarterback my whole life, so I never really thought about catching the ball," he said. "Now, that's all I'm doing. If you have natural good hands, it happens. I think I've got natural hands. Last year I didn't showcase it. This year, I've got a chance to showcase it."

FWIW, James Starks is a QB-to-RB conversion, but that was in college. He played QB/WR/DB as a freshman and then made the transition to RB in his later years in college.

Not quite what you're looking for (a full college career at QB and then RB in the NFL), I know.

FWIW, James Starks is a QB-to-RB conversion, but that was in college. He played QB/WR/DB as a freshman and then made the transition to RB in his later years in college.Not quite what you're looking for (a full college career at QB and then RB in the NFL), I know.
Michael Vick would have been good if he had been converted to RB.

But successful QB (entire college career) to NFL RB conversions, only Brian Mitchell:

Boasting the longest career of any player on this list, Mitchell played 14 seasons as one of the premier return men in the NFL. But before he was returning kicks, Mitchell was a quarterback at Southwestern Louisiana (now Louisiana-Lafayette), where he became the first collegian to throw for more than 5,000 yards and rush for more than 3,000 yards.

Despite never returning a kick in college, Mitchell was picked by the Washington Redskins in the fifth round of the 1990 NFL Draft to do just that, as well as playing occasionally at running back. Mitchell was a solid third-down back, but he made his mark as a return man, four times leading the league in all-purpose yards.

He still holds NFL records for most career kickoff and punt return yards, and is second only to Jerry Rice in all-purpose yardage. And with the new NFL kickoff rules that limit return opportunities, it is likely Mitchell will remain the NFL’s all-time top return man at least for the foreseeable future.

Rotoworld:

A 212 lb Denard Robinson interests me.
OP needs to change his comparison from CJ2YPC to felix jones

Users who are viewing this thread