What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Denard 'Shoelace' Robinson and his Chris Johnson potential (1 Viewer)

Who cares about long term, a season is happening now and he has relevance at this moment.
Dynasty players care about long term. I'm sure everyone reading this isn't just redraft.
Dynasty league's aren't handing out championships this season???
They are, and next year as well I'd wager.

There are a finite number of benches in every league. If Robinson's ROS upside is your 3rd or 4th best RB option, and the cost to obtain him involves dropping someone like Latimer or Moncrief, then Robinson's prospects beyond the immediate now are definitely a major consideration.
You know, when I wake up in the morning I say "I'm not worried about what happens today, I'm just gonna worry about what happens 10 months from now." I say to my lady "Honey, I am not worried about paying the bills this month, lets save that money for 10 months from now. I know we have bills now, but we will have bills next year too." When I was in college, I always worried more about next semesters classes then the current semester, so I understand the reason and why its so important to worry about things in the future over the now.

Same exact thing about worrying about a fantasy team next year. I know some are in dynasty leagues, I am in a few, but I at no point worry about next dynasty season. Not ever or not until I am eliminated and If you are already eliminated, I would safely say it is because you are always worrying about next year and not caring about this year.
The point is that you need to balance the two concerns in a dynasty league, not to focus on either one completely at the expense of the other. An ideally constructed dynasty team will be a legitimate contender now without significantly neglecting the future. They are not mutually exclusive concepts.

In a redraft league, you almost certainly pick up Robinson if you have the room because he's low cost (likely WW) and you have little to lose by dropping the last guy off your bench for him. If he flops, it doesn't matter because you draft a whole new team next year.

In dynasty, there are consequences for making that move (assuming you actually have some high upside stashes at the end of your bench, as most well-run dynasty teams do). Would you drop Michael or Bryce Brown to pick up Denard Robinson? Latimer? Marqise Lee? It becomes much tougher to decide where to draw that line.

All of them could easily be justified with a "win now" mindset, but I think those would all be bad plays in almost any deep format dynasty league. The only reason you would consider it would be if you thought he was a good bet to retain the job moving forward while performing well in the process. If you think he'll be in a RBBC with Gerhart, or that he ultimately will settle in as a COP back, or that JAX will draft another back in 2015, then it becomes a pretty bad dynasty play to drop anything of value for him. If you need to bolster your team's chances for winning this year, you're better off using your current assets to make a trade for a better player.
What kind of Mickey Mouse dynasty league has someone dropping Latimer? All the leagues I'm in have benches.
Very few, probably, but perhaps some depending on the bench size vs starting lineup requirements.

One of my leagues starts 11 (QQRRWWTTFFF) with a 15 man bench and no IR/practice squad. It can sometimes be hard to hold onto a guy who's going to give you absolutely nothing for a year or two when the injuries start piling up.

Anyone rolling out Denard in a WR spot if possible? I'm actually debating between him and his teammate Allen Robinson, but I think I'm gonna give Denard the nod. The problem is he could get shut down by Miami's D (then again, Allen easily could as well).

Anyone rolling out Denard in a WR spot if possible? I'm actually debating between him and his teammate Allen Robinson, but I think I'm gonna give Denard the nod. The problem is he could get shut down by Miami's D (then again, Allen easily could as well).
Due to byes I am starting him at WR. His opportunity, plus fexability is why I grabbed him.

It it all got nothing though as TNF and Emmanuel Sanders put me in a deep hole already.

:lmao: 7 for 75 already
I'm dumb for not starting him, but I'm loving myself for going after him hard in WW.
You're not dumb. Many people including myself didn't start him. He's got a lot going against him:

Converted RB from qb. New at the position.

Coach speak this week was not very convincing that they were fully committing to him.

Gerhart's return added question marks to usage.

Tough matchup.

I'm dumb for not starting him, but I'm loving myself for going after him hard in WW.
You're not dumb. Many people including myself didn't start him. He's got a lot going against him:Converted RB from qb. New at the position.

Coach speak this week was not very convincing that they were fully committing to him.

Tough matchup.
I started Doug Martin over him. I am dumb.

You're not dumb. Many people including myself didn't start him. He's got a lot going against him:Converted RB from qb. New at the position.

Tough matchup.
I started Doug Martin over him. I am dumb.
Ok yeah that's dumb. Lol

If he stays healthy, this could be a season changing lockup.
Hmm, start 2 going forward, Charles, McCoy, or shoelace?
Charles and McCoy, but Denard is someone to watch. He could pass McCoy, tough to say as McCoy hasn't been very consistent. I don't have any other options anywhere close to Charles or McCoy.
Yeah, just wish it were easier to get value for backs in this league comparable to other leagues.

Miami d isn't all that great but it's good to see shoelace put up two good weeksn in a row.
They were the #1 defense in the league going into the game (well really #2 but Detroit played earlier), and somewhere in the top 10 against the run

Last edited by a moderator:
I started him more out of necessity than anything this week, but fully expected an implosion. Got to watch a bit of the first half of the game and I was pleasantly surprised with how good he looked, even given their OL woes(although, they have started playing better as a unit lately). His burst is apparent.

I'm probably going to start him again next week, due to necessity, but I'm going to feel a lot better about it if he keeps getting 18 or 19 touches a week. Guy is going to pop a couple long ones before the end of the season.

Rotoworld:

Denard Robinson rushed 18 times for 108 yards in Jacksonville's Week 8 loss to the Dolphins, adding one catch for an additional 10 yards.

Shoelace touched the ball on the Jaguars' first two plays of the game, racking up 45 yards. Neither he nor the Jags were as prolific thereafter, but six of Robinson's 18 totes went for five yards or longer. Robinson has now eclipsed 100 yards on the ground in back-to-back weeks after no Jags rusher managed more than 42 yards in the season's first six games. He'll remain the Jags' No. 1 back going forward, and be a solid RB2 against the Bengals' leaky run defense in Week 9.

Oct 26 - 5:36 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
real nice game and seems to be a good pickup despite the fact that their line stinks and he plays on the Jags. Sometimes talent is the great equalizer and makes everything look a little better.....

real nice game and seems to be a good pickup despite the fact that their line stinks and he plays on the Jags. Sometimes talent is the great equalizer and makes everything look a little better.....
It looks like the big things holding him back are the Jags lack of RZ opps and the tendency to get dine and lean on the pass. I wish he could get more involved in the pass game.

It looks like the big things holding him back are the Jags lack of RZ opps and the tendency to get dine and lean on the pass. I wish he could get more involved in the pass game.
He's a good receiver so the issues must largely be pass protection. Not surprising given he's transformation to the new position. I never expected him to look as good as he does but they need to get him the ball more and rely on Bortles less. Bortles single handily lost yesterday's game and should have done the same vs. Clev. Maybe it's just the other RBs are that bad but there is a clear difference when he's in the game.

It would have been nice to see what the Jags were going to do in goal-line situations with Toby healthy. Unfortunately, that didn't happen on Sunday. The Bortles turnovers prevented the Jags from ever threatening the red zone.

I think its safe to say that if the Jags dont realize their best weapon after two weeks, this coaching staff should go.

OC Jedd Fisch said if Blake Bortles can limit his interceptions to eight over the final eight games, "I think we would consider that a win."
Source: Florida Times Union
Here is an idea, "Give it to your best player some more."

Nice to see Denard get the carries at the goal line. JAX is starting to put it together on offense a bit. Only one INT for Bortles today, although the Bengals defense dropped at least a couple they could have had.

also had like a 17 yard run called back on a penalty away from play which would have put him over a 100 for 3rd straight week.

Any chance he keeps his WR designation in Yahoo next year, or is that something they typically correct in the following season?

Users who are viewing this thread