What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did the Packers Make the Right Decision for Their Ball Club (2 Viewers)

vote here

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided - Need to see what draft pick(s) they receive

• Total voters
Bizkiteer said:
I started off thinking it was "New Coke" bad.Someone else suggested MS Vista bad. That's probably better. New Coke is pretty harsh...J
I was thinking more along the lines of Dodds telling you that he was retiring in late winter. You cancel other projects and focus on rebuilding the organization. Maybe go as far as to promote Chase and Aaron into full time positions and they quit other interests because of the promotion. Then in late July Dodds tells you that he's coming back for one more season and that you need to reshuffle your organizational plan to accomodate him.
That's a great example. I do a back flip and welcome David the second I think I could get him back. Actually, I do more than that. I do everything I can in the relationship to never let him get to the point of quitting.And I love Chase and Aaron. And I think they love me. But they both will tell you in a second that David and I have a different relationship.J
:lmao: Not when Dodds has been saying that he's unsure he's going to be coming back each year. After awhile, no matter how good Dodds is...it wears thin for running the organization. Chase, Aaron and whoever would only play the seesaw game so many times before they wanted out. So, it's not a matter of the one time it's the uncertainty of knowing if Dodds is committed or not and all the hoops you jump through....each time.
How long is Rodgers signed for?J
How's this Joe...imagine the same scenario with David retiring and you making Chase & Aaron full-time and then David coming back...but imagine that in order for David to come back, Chase & Aaron were for sure, 100% leaving...and the only reason that they are leaving is because David quit and then decided to come back...Does that change what you think about David coming back any?
This works better if it's remotely similar to the Green Bay situation.How long is Rodgers signed for?J
2 more years.

JTM said:
sho nuff said:
JTM said:
sho nuff said:
Challenge Everything said:
thatguythere said:
Did the thought ever cross your mind that Favre made every one of those guys look better? I don't think anyone outside of fantasy football or Green Bay would even know who Ryan Grant or Greg Jennings were if it wasn't for Favre.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy to see him go. :lmao: Enjoy the season.
The game planning against Rodgers is going to be pretty easy compared to Favre. Rodgers cannot beat teams over the top like Favre could. Rodgers cannot throw the accurate long ball over a 30-40 yard toss. Rodgers will have to pick apart the defenses in the first few weeks before teams start to relax on teeing up on him. If McCarthy is smart, he will have Rodgers taking many 3-step drops and some 5-step drops otherwise the Packers are doomed. Grant is the key variable. If he can run with 6 and 7 in the box consistently, that will open up the passing game. The game planning from Favre to Rodgers is night and day.
Ummm...where are you getting that he cannot throw the ball accurately over 30-40 yards?
That's been his knock since draft day, but in a west-coast offense the deep ball is not THAT important--Rex Grossman throws a beautiful deep ball. I think it's the long outs that have the most potential for disaster and is probably partly what GB is referring to when they say they've customized the offense around Rodgers in the offseason. I think you'll see a ton of short slants, seams, and fade routes, which if completed often is as demoralizing to a defense as a smash-mouth running game. He's got a shot, but I'm giving him 50/50 at best to have a passer rating of +80 this season.
He actually has some nice arm strength from what I have seen...and his deeper balls have looked decent so far.Worthy to note he had his best practices of the year Wednesday...after Favre left for Mississippi.
I stand corrected: http://football.about.com/b/2005/02/13/sco...-california.htm. I must have misremembered.The ultimate question regards winning today, and TODAY...right this second...given what we KNOW, Favre unquestionably gives the Packers the best chance at success in 2008 because you know if he gets hit, he'll get up unaffected. That's the wildcard with Rodgers, will he get up unaffected or will he start peeking at the pass rush when he should be focusing down-field?

I reserve my ultimate judgement on Rodgers for the first game he gets pounded and picked off..
I agree that Favre probably gave them the best chance to win "this year".But that does not make it the best decision for the ball club.
So you must be very confident that Rodgers will want to stay in GB and not leave when he can become a free agent to escape Favre's shadow?
most people who know what they are talking about are pretty confident that Rodgers is staying
That must disqualify you considering you think the Packers did nothing to show Favre any disrespect.
you need to turn off ESPN. The Packers didn't disrespect Favre...Favre disrespected them and they refused to give in to his every whim and let the whole team be held hostage by his nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Dungy came out and said he would have done the same thing as the Packers did.
:goodposting: :link:
If he did say this, my guess is he might have traded Favre, but that he wouldn't have done it the same WAY the Packers did.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/17/...avre-situation/
“Being on both sides of the fence and seeing it both ways, I’m a little bit more on the team’s side,” Dungy told William Rhoden of the New York Times.

“When Brett told them he was thinking about retirement, they may have said, ‘If you’re out, you are out, understand that, because once we move on down this road, you’ve got to be out.’ Now he wants back in with them but wants back in on his terms.

“He’s saying, ‘I didn’t work out, I’m just ready to play now and I’m your best bet to get to the Super Bowl.’”
“Understand that it is a business and that at some point it is going to come down to business over feelings,” Dungy said. “Players have to understand that it is going to come down to that, whether it’s Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott. Eventually, it is going to come to a point when the team says as great as you were, it’s diminishing returns now and we’ve got to move on. There’s a lesson for all of us — coaches, general managers players: You can be replaced.”

JTM said:
sho nuff said:
JTM said:
sho nuff said:
thatguythere said:
Did the thought ever cross your mind that Favre made every one of those guys look better? I don't think anyone outside of fantasy football or Green Bay would even know who Ryan Grant or Greg Jennings were if it wasn't for Favre.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy to see him go. :goodposting: Enjoy the season.
The game planning against Rodgers is going to be pretty easy compared to Favre. Rodgers cannot beat teams over the top like Favre could. Rodgers cannot throw the accurate long ball over a 30-40 yard toss. Rodgers will have to pick apart the defenses in the first few weeks before teams start to relax on teeing up on him. If McCarthy is smart, he will have Rodgers taking many 3-step drops and some 5-step drops otherwise the Packers are doomed. Grant is the key variable. If he can run with 6 and 7 in the box consistently, that will open up the passing game. The game planning from Favre to Rodgers is night and day.
Ummm...where are you getting that he cannot throw the ball accurately over 30-40 yards?
That's been his knock since draft day, but in a west-coast offense the deep ball is not THAT important--Rex Grossman throws a beautiful deep ball. I think it's the long outs that have the most potential for disaster and is probably partly what GB is referring to when they say they've customized the offense around Rodgers in the offseason. I think you'll see a ton of short slants, seams, and fade routes, which if completed often is as demoralizing to a defense as a smash-mouth running game. He's got a shot, but I'm giving him 50/50 at best to have a passer rating of +80 this season.
He actually has some nice arm strength from what I have seen...and his deeper balls have looked decent so far.Worthy to note he had his best practices of the year Wednesday...after Favre left for Mississippi.
I stand corrected: http://football.about.com/b/2005/02/13/sco...-california.htm. I must have misremembered.The ultimate question regards winning today, and TODAY...right this second...given what we KNOW, Favre unquestionably gives the Packers the best chance at success in 2008 because you know if he gets hit, he'll get up unaffected. That's the wildcard with Rodgers, will he get up unaffected or will he start peeking at the pass rush when he should be focusing down-field?

I reserve my ultimate judgement on Rodgers for the first game he gets pounded and picked off..
I agree that Favre probably gave them the best chance to win "this year".But that does not make it the best decision for the ball club.
So you must be very confident that Rodgers will want to stay in GB and not leave when he can become a free agent to escape Favre's shadow?
He has 2 years left on his contract.My guess is they will try and sign him to an extension either during this year if he is showing them what they thought they would see...or right after the season.

I think the team has shown a commitment to him and he will stick with it. If he chooses to run to avoid Favre's shadow, he is not the type of player on want on my favorite team anyway.

the other thing about Rodgers leaving is the fact that the only way he'll have anything to run from is if he sucks...

and if he sucks, well, that's why they drafted Brohm... To have someone else in case Rodgers sucks...

JTM said:
sho nuff said:
JTM said:
sho nuff said:
thatguythere said:

Don't get me wrong though, I'm happy to see him go. :shrug: Enjoy the season.

If he chooses to run to avoid Favre's shadow, he is not the type of player on want on my favorite team anyway.
:excited:

Users who are viewing this thread