What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Did the Packers Make the Right Decision for Their Ball Club (1 Viewer)

vote here

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Undecided - Need to see what draft pick(s) they receive

• Total voters
Bottom line is that Favre has a HUGE problem with Ted Thompson and wasn't going to play for the Packers, so yes, they made the only move they could.
:lmao: This is all it really boiled down to.Brett came out yesterday and the day before and said he couldn't get beyond the anger to give his all.What else was Green bay supposed to do?

I started off thinking it was "New Coke" bad.

Someone else suggested MS Vista bad. That's probably better. New Coke is pretty harsh...

J
I was thinking more along the lines of Dodds telling you that he was retiring in late winter. You cancel other projects and focus on rebuilding the organization. Maybe go as far as to promote Chase and Aaron into full time positions and they quit other interests because of the promotion. Then in late July Dodds tells you that he's coming back for one more season and that you need to reshuffle your organizational plan to accomodate him.
That's a great example. I do a back flip and welcome David the second I think I could get him back. Actually, I do more than that. I do everything I can in the relationship to never let him get to the point of quitting.

And I love Chase and Aaron. And I think they love me. But they both will tell you in a second that David and I have a different relationship.

J
:lmao:
Very strange, I would think that someone sporting your avatar would have a comprehensive understanding of the defination of being oVVned.
I find it hard to consider Rodgers "top talent" having watched his development. I am a minority, I know.But how did Chad Pennington turn out? Was he their "top talent" at one point?

I hope Rodgers does well, but just haven't seen it yet.
My understanding is that Rodgers is a free agent next year It's now or never in that case. I definately know that the Pack would have been off using their 2nd round pick this year elsewhere if Favre was going to be taking snaps.
:bow: Not until 2010

The thing about this is it puts Rodgers in even more of a pressure situation. I mean, we all know that replacing a 'legend' along the lines of Elway, Marino, or Farve is tough enough but now if he struggles everyone is thinking "we could still have Farve" and see him playing on another team each Sunday. I mean, other than Young, who has replaced a legend successfully? How do you replace a legend while he could still be playing for the team but the team said 'no thanks'.

Not to mention you know that Packer fans are crying in a dark room with this news. Not a great PR move.
I am disgusted. The only bright side is the packer season ticket waiting list should move faster now. But now I'm not sure if I would even take the tickets.
I'll take your spot in the line. I thought this was the Green Bay Packers not the Brett Favre Packers. Time to change your username.
Me too. Me too.I'm a Packer fan first and foremost.

I do not understand this line of thinking

The thing about this is it puts Rodgers in even more of a pressure situation. I mean, we all know that replacing a 'legend' along the lines of Elway, Marino, or Farve is tough enough but now if he struggles everyone is thinking "we could still have Farve" and see him playing on another team each Sunday. I mean, other than Young, who has replaced a legend successfully? How do you replace a legend while he could still be playing for the team but the team said 'no thanks'.

Not to mention you know that Packer fans are crying in a dark room with this news. Not a great PR move.
I am disgusted. The only bright side is the packer season ticket waiting list should move faster now. But now I'm not sure if I would even take the tickets.
I'll take your spot in the line. I thought this was the Green Bay Packers not the Brett Favre Packers. Time to change your username.
If TT is fired I will take the tickets. We have just witnessed the biggest blunder in sports history. I know some people will disagree with that right now but bump this thread in 1-2 years if I'm wrong. Until then it is the NFavreL for me.
I tend to agree with this statement, but I'm still a Packer fan first. Favre had a lot to do with this mess too.

It was all ego on the Packers side, and people's obsession with "value".

He retired. They went out and got 2 new shiny toys. brohm and a 7th round QB. They were quite pleased. Then Favre wants back. What cut one of the newly draft QBs? What a waste! We burned a 2nd on a backup QB, now he's 3rd string?! We look like idiots.

Packers couldn't swallow their pride, and do what was best for the team.

Lets re-check things. Currently, NONE of the Packer QBs have EVER started a game in the NFL. And this is a team that is poised to make a SB run. Are you kidding me? ZERO starts. You just let go an elite QB who had an amazing year last year. He basically was a lock to get you to the playoffs. Now what? GM who let his own ego get in the way.

Sorry, this isn't FF. You take Favre back, cut the 7th round QB, and deal w/ brohm as the 3rd string. As it stands now, you better hope AR doesn't get hurt. Because you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. You better hope AR is actually good. If this guy is Joey Harrington (Joey was a better college QB and a better prospect, would have gone well before where AR was drafted regardless if the Lions took him) then TT just blew it huge. Packers might find themselves dealing with endless QBs for the next 10 years, and to think they had a solid, reliable QB ready to play for them. Favre changing his mind was a BLESSING. Two months before they were begging for him back. But because they drafted two QBs, they’re going to cut off their nose to spite their face?

It’s like Barry Sanders retiring, so the Lions draft two RBs. At training camp, Barry says he wants to play. Lions tell him to go pound sand, they have his replacement? *LOL* Are you kidding? AR isn’t a replacement for anything. He’s never started in the NFL. Bears did the same thing with Benson. We drafted him, we want to play him. Regardless of whom we have to trade to do it. Ignore the warning signs. We want to see our new toy play.

Favre didn't want to go back, because they didn't want him. If TT said after the first text message, hell yes Favre come back now, he would have. HC talking about his mindset. It's laughable. AR is a joke, will follow in the long line of soft Jeff Tedford QBs, and the Packers will rue this day for a long time.
Not even close.Rodgers has been Favre's understudy for 4 years. The coaches pretty much know what they are getting with him.

Even the great ones don't know when to hang it up. Brett Favre was no different and the Packers did well to just get off the #4 seesaw.One point people keep forgetting...even in retirement Brett Favre's shadow would have hung over the Packers 2008 season and the pressure would have been great to win without him.
Awesome Sig

If they thought it through and came to this decision, they are morons. How do these guys get jobs??
The guy is the reigning NFL Executive of the Year.Thompson is getting blasted left and right, but I'm glad the Packers have a guy in charge that doesn't give a damn what the media, fans, etc. think. He will do what he feels is in the best interest of the team.

It seems as if the Packers brass didn't really think this one through.
They are blinded by their arrogance.
:rolleyes: Thompson is not going to jeopardize his job and possibly his career to be spiteful and petty. He is certainly hard headed and stubborn, but is doing what he feels he needs to do to make the team better. Fans and armchair GMs may disagree, but it's not their ### on the line with the decisions.

If they thought it through and came to this decision, they are morons. How do these guys get jobs??
The guy is the reigning NFL Executive of the Year.Thompson is getting blasted left and right, but I'm glad the Packers have a guy in charge that doesn't give a damn what the media, fans, etc. think. He will do what he feels is in the best interest of the team.
Thompson has decided to let Rodgers lead the train and Thompson better be prepared if that train derails. I hope Thompson's decision to run Favre out of GB works for him but I have a feeling this won't turn out well for Thompson.

It seems as if the Packers brass didn't really think this one through.
They are blinded by their arrogance.
:rolleyes: Thompson is not going to jeopardize his job and possibly his career to be spiteful and petty. He is certainly hard headed and stubborn, but is doing what he feels he needs to do to make the team better. Fans and armchair GMs may disagree, but it's not their ### on the line with the decisions.
Thompson isn't being spiteful and petty. He is arrogant and both he and McCarthy feel that the team is better of this year and moving forward with Rodgers. That is fine. They just have to be prepared if that decision blows up in their faces.

Bottom line is that Favre has a HUGE problem with Ted Thompson and wasn't going to play for the Packers, so yes, they made the only move they could.
Bottom line is that TT wasn't going to let Favre play for the Packers this year.
That's just not the case. They've given Favre PLENTY of opportunities to come back. They just aren't kissing his ### like he would like. His own agent when asked if they were forcing him out said something to the effect of - they aren't forcing him out, but they aren't exactly making him feel welcome either. And that's basically what it boiled down to. If Favre was committed to the Packers they would move forward with him, if not, so be it, they'll move forward without him. He didn't like that attitude and the animosity grew.

I think my break point is if the pick escalates to a 2nd round or higher.
Really...if it get to a 2nd that means they made the playoffs which would be a feat considering they went 4-12 last year. If it goes to a 1st that means they have made it to the Super Bowl. I don't think there is an NFL team that would not give a 2nd round pick to make it to the playoffs or a 1st round pick for a trip to the Super Bowl.

Thompson isn't being spiteful and petty. He is arrogant and both he and McCarthy feel that the team is better of this year and moving forward with Rodgers. That is fine. They just have to be prepared if that decision blows up in their faces.
Semantics maybe, but I just don't see that as arrogant (exaggerating or disposed to exaggerate one's own worth or importance often by an overbearing manner). You laid it out exactly right, given everything that has happened, TT and McCarthy feel that the team is better this year and moving forward with Rodgers. Agree or disagree, that is now the decision that has been made and they will face the consequences good or bad, which is how it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy is the reigning NFL Executive of the Year.
To be fair, if you want to go down that road, Favre is a 3 time MVP and finished #2 in MVP voting last year.Past accolades are apparently not in play here.J
He is obviously questioning the decision making skills of Thompson, and it is evident that TT isn't a bumbling schlep (although many people paint him to be one).I don't think Thompson and McCarthy necessarily think Favre doesn't have the physical tools to play (as evidence of the MVP voting last year shows). They appear to be questioning his motivation to play and his mental makeup to make things work on the field and in the locker room.

If that's how you see it, fine. But, if Favre doesn't make that same mistake this year, they could easily be a superbowl team. But, then again, I'm not a believer that interception was the difference. I'm not sold Rodgers performs as good as Favre did, so Rodgers wouldn't be in a position to lose a game with a moronic INT.

But, that's just my take, I realize yours is different.
unfortunately Favre always did those mistakes in the playoffs in the last 4/5 years.......how about 6 INT aganst the Rams, how about the INT against the Eagles in OT, how about the 3 INT against the Vikings, how about last year........

I actually said he faded in two of the past three years. During the final eight games in 2005 and 2006, Favre threw 12 touchdowns against 26 inteceptions, which equated to a 63.1 QB Rating. And how did he play in the 2007 NFC Conference championship game against New York? He completed 54.3 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and two inteceptions for a QB rating of 70.7. He looked old and cold (at home) in that game vs. the Giants. :thumbup:
Good thing superboy Brady looked SOOO much better against the same Giants D (NOT in the cold)!:Tom Brady NE vs NYG L 14-17 29 48 266 1 0 5 1 82.5 So, 60% completion, 82 QB rating. Oh, and 1 TD + 1 Fumble (Do fumbles come into QB rating? I was thinking not). Don't try to use the NFLCG as your reasoning why Favre has "lost it." The Giants D was tremendous down the stretch.

According to McCarthy Favre was too biter over past events(letting 2 guards go/not hiring Mooch/not getting Moss) to play in Green Bay. He wanted a release to play for Minnesota. If you believe him they had no choice but trade him to the AFC if they could.

:thumbup:

Now they can concentrate on football and root for their former teammate.

IndyHavoc said:
slayer666 said:
I actually said he faded in two of the past three years. During the final eight games in 2005 and 2006, Favre threw 12 touchdowns against 26 inteceptions, which equated to a 63.1 QB Rating. And how did he play in the 2007 NFC Conference championship game against New York? He completed 54.3 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and two inteceptions for a QB rating of 70.7. He looked old and cold (at home) in that game vs. the Giants.

Good thing superboy Brady looked SOOO much better against the same Giants D (NOT in the cold)!:Tom Brady NE vs NYG L 14-17 29 48 266 1 0 5 1 82.5

So, 60% completion, 82 QB rating. Oh, and 1 TD + 1 Fumble (Do fumbles come into QB rating? I was thinking not). Don't try to use the NFLCG as your reasoning why Favre has "lost it." The Giants D was tremendous down the stretch.
Brady put the Patriots ahead with 1:30 to go.......how about this insteadOT

NY Giants - 15:00

NYG kicked off, K. Robinson returned kickoff for 19 yards

Green Bay - 14:54

1st-10, GB26 14:54 R. Grant rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, GB28 14:04 C. Webster intercepted B. Favre for 9 yards

OK, I'll play. How bout this instead...

1-10-NE 26 :-)29) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep right to 10-J.Gaffney.

2-10-NE 26 :-)25) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady sacked at NE 16 for -10 yards (93-J.Alford).

Timeout #1 by NE at 00:19.

3-20-NE 16 :-)19) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to 81-R.Moss (23-C.Webster).

Timeout #2 by NE at 00:10.

4-20-NE 16 :-)10) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to 81-R.Moss (28-G.Wilson).

Yeah, that guy is AWESOME!!

Wait wait wait.....it gets better!!!

New England Patriots at 01:00

A.Vinatieri kicks 71 yards from IND 30 to NE -1. E.Hobbs to NE 21 for 22 yards (R.Boiman, M.Giordano).

1-10-NE 21 :-)54) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete deep left to R.Caldwell.

2-10-NE 21 :-)49) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to B.Watson to NE 40 for 19 yards (C.June, B.Sanders).

1-10-NE 40 :-)31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to H.Evans to IND 45 for 15 yards (C.June).

Timeout #2 by NE at 00:24.

1-10-IND 45 :-)24) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle intended for B.Watson INTERCEPTED by M.Jackson at IND 35. M.Jackson to IND 41 for 6 yards (N.Kaczur).

Indianapolis Colts at 00:16

1-10-IND 41 :-)16) P.Manning kneels to IND 40 for -1 yards

Damn, that's it!! Time to run Brady out of town Patfans. That guy just can NOT win the big one! He clearly fades late in the season!!

Whether Favre did poorly or not in his own decisions apart, I think the Packers handled the whole thing incredibly poorly.

They appeared to do everything they could to drag their feet and fight the situation kicking and screaming. Why couldn't they have just come out and publicly said they would work with Brett to pursue trade opportunities that would be mutually beneficial, but if an appropriate deal couldn't be worked out they would happily welcome him back into camp and there would be an open competition for the starting QB job?

If they definitely were going to trade or release him no matter what, they can always go to Rodgers privately to tell him that and the stuff about the open job is just to keep other teams from thinking the Packers are in a situation they have to get rid of Favre and so the team won't get as much for him in trade.

If they'd done the above, the Packers would arguably have had better leverage. The way they fought this kicking and screaming, it seemed pretty clear they were not happy to keep him on the team and have a competition at QB, so other teams knew he would be released or traded. And I can't imagine the way they handled would make Favre any more willing to renegotiate his contract in order to help the Packers get more compensation in the trade.

It just makes no sense to me why they played this out the way they did rather than being gracious and welcoming to his return. It was in their own best interest to have done so, both in terms of their trading options, and the way the Favre-lovers amongst their fans would react.

I dont like the decision in the end.

I think Brett gave us a chance to win a Super Bowl right now and Aaron does not. I dont think Aaron lasts the season and whoever comes in wont get it done and this is bad for the confidence of a young ball club. Not a big fan of Thompson right now because I think with the Moss move and opening Brett with big arms and he would have played for 2 years. That might be all you get for Rodgers

Now that they made there decision to move on, it is good to get a pick for something you did not think you had but I have a feeling that Thompson will be feeling the heat come next off-season and that pick wont mean a thing to him.

bcr8f said:
According to McCarthy Favre was too biter over past events(letting 2 guards go/not hiring Mooch/not getting Moss) to play in Green Bay. He wanted a release to play for Minnesota. If you believe him they had no choice but trade him to the AFC if they could.

:popcorn:

Now they can concentrate on football and root for their former teammate.
Favre came out and said the same thing, although he didn't get into specifics.

Wanted to add something else fun here. Was thinking about this in my normally empathetic fashion. So, let's play hypothetical here. 6 years from now Manning starts talking retirement, he's bugged and questioned all the time. He waffles, he hems-and-haws, puts the organization out over and over. Polian and coach keep cow-towing to his desires. Same thing plays out over an offseason that did with GB and Favre. How do I feel. I take every single Colt item in my house out to the firepit. Huge bottle of lighterfluid and have myself a f'n barbeque.

No f'n way I cheer for an organization that doesn't respect and do WHATEVER the HELL it can to keep a QB of that calibre happy and playing for as long as his body will physically allow it.

Honestly, that's the only reason I've followed this soap-opera at all. To prepare myself to completely divorce "my" team if they pull this completely disrespectful BS with Mannning at the end. I hope and pray they have more class and less arrogance than TT/MM/etc. :off soapbox:

IndyHavoc said:
slayer666 said:
I actually said he faded in two of the past three years. During the final eight games in 2005 and 2006, Favre threw 12 touchdowns against 26 inteceptions, which equated to a 63.1 QB Rating. And how did he play in the 2007 NFC Conference championship game against New York? He completed 54.3 percent of his passes with two touchdowns and two inteceptions for a QB rating of 70.7. He looked old and cold (at home) in that game vs. the Giants.

:unsure:
Good thing superboy Brady looked SOOO much better against the same Giants D (NOT in the cold)!:Tom Brady NE vs NYG L 14-17 29 48 266 1 0 5 1 82.5

So, 60% completion, 82 QB rating. Oh, and 1 TD + 1 Fumble (Do fumbles come into QB rating? I was thinking not). Don't try to use the NFLCG as your reasoning why Favre has "lost it." The Giants D was tremendous down the stretch.
Brady put the Patriots ahead with 1:30 to go.......how about this insteadOT

NY Giants - 15:00

NYG kicked off, K. Robinson returned kickoff for 19 yards

Green Bay - 14:54

1st-10, GB26 14:54 R. Grant rushed to the left for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, GB28 14:04 C. Webster intercepted B. Favre for 9 yards
I've read quite a few of your posts, and i think you are going to be the first and only person I am going to put on ignore.You just do not understand anything about football, and it shows in your posts, Please for the love of everything that is right. STOP POSTING, you're embarrassing yourself!.

Young 8 said:
Jon_Moore said:
If that's how you see it, fine. But, if Favre doesn't make that same mistake this year, they could easily be a superbowl team. But, then again, I'm not a believer that interception was the difference. I'm not sold Rodgers performs as good as Favre did, so Rodgers wouldn't be in a position to lose a game with a moronic INT.

But, that's just my take, I realize yours is different.
unfortunately Favre always did those mistakes in the playoffs in the last 4/5 years.......how about 6 INT aganst the Rams, how about the INT against the Eagles in OT, how about the 3 INT against the Vikings, how about last year........
In the Minnesota game, the Packers gave up TD's to Minnesota on both of their opening drives and were trying to play catch up the rest of the game. When Favre threw a TD in the 2nd Quarter, Minnesota responded right back with another TD. Favre had to do what he could to play catch up... i'd rather have him throw int's and lose than not even try to get back into the game. Same goes for the Rams game. This is back when the Rams were still known as the "best show on turf" and pretty everyone knew the Packers had no chance going into that game. That loss wasn't on Favre, the Rams were just a superior team, and it wasn't even close.

For the INT in OT against the eagles, remember this play that allowed OT to happen?

1-10-PHI 20 (2:21) D.Staley left tackle to PHI 42 for 22 yards (A.Harris).

Two-Minute Warning

1-10-PHI 42 (2:00) D.McNabb pass incomplete (D.Sharper).

2-10-PHI 42 (1:57) D.McNabb sacked at PHI 26 for -16 yards (B.Jue).

3-26-PHI 26 (1:18) D.McNabb pass incomplete to C.Lewis (B.Jue).

4-26-PHI 26 (1:12) D.McNabb pass to F.Mitchell to GB 46 for 28 yards (M.Anderson).

Favre should have been on defense to break up that 4th & 26! WTF???

uwgb96 said:
Phase of the Game said:
Bottom line is that TT wasn't going to let Favre play for the Packers this year.
That's just not the case. They've given Favre PLENTY of opportunities to come back. They just aren't kissing his ### like he would like. His own agent when asked if they were forcing him out said something to the effect of - they aren't forcing him out, but they aren't exactly making him feel welcome either. And that's basically what it boiled down to. If Favre was committed to the Packers they would move forward with him, if not, so be it, they'll move forward without him. He didn't like that attitude and the animosity grew.
As I said earlier, the Packers made it clear that they did not want Favre back over the last month. I think the last straw for Favre was when he wanted to go see his friends and teammates in the locker room after the scrimmage, the security guard assigned to him told him he was instructed to not allow him to go to the locker room. Favre has always said that he would keep playing if he was having fun...it's pretty clear that the Packers were out to make him miserable and to make sure it was clear that they didn't want him there. Great way to treat the guy who played every game for you over the last 16 years...this is just sickening.

Wanted to add something else fun here. Was thinking about this in my normally empathetic fashion. So, let's play hypothetical here. 6 years from now Manning starts talking retirement, he's bugged and questioned all the time. He waffles, he hems-and-haws, puts the organization out over and over. Polian and coach keep cow-towing to his desires. Same thing plays out over an offseason that did with GB and Favre. How do I feel. I take every single Colt item in my house out to the firepit. Huge bottle of lighterfluid and have myself a f'n barbeque.No f'n way I cheer for an organization that doesn't respect and do WHATEVER the HELL it can to keep a QB of that calibre happy and playing for as long as his body will physically allow it.Honestly, that's the only reason I've followed this soap-opera at all. To prepare myself to completely divorce "my" team if they pull this completely disrespectful BS with Mannning at the end. I hope and pray they have more class and less arrogance than TT/MM/etc. :off soapbox:
Hope this never happens to you. It's a terrible feeling. I've been a die-hard Packer fan all my life...well before Favre came along. I never thought I would say this, but I really HATE the Packers right now. The way this was handled was classless and disgusting.

Joe Bryant said:
uwgb96 said:
LHUCKS said:
The guy is the reigning NFL Executive of the Year.
To be fair, if you want to go down that road, Favre is a 3 time MVP and finished #2 in MVP voting last year.Past accolades are apparently not in play here.J
No and if he gets in the playoffs I wouldn't be surprised in heroics or a flop. He is capable of both.He beat the Ravens after their SB win with a vastly inferior team with a perfect game. If Mangini can get his gunslinger instincts under a little more control he could have a huge game.

Ron_Mexico said:
Great move.

Favre is an egomaniac who has turned into a wreckless gunslinger.

They would never have won another SB with him, he's the past.

On the #######' money! :unsure:
An egomaniac? Really? What has Brett Favre ever said or done for that matter to make you categorize him as an egomaniac. I think he is just the opposite. If Brett Favre was an egomaniac he would have tried to get more money then any other QB in the league. Did he? No he took pay cuts so the Packers could bring in more talent. What does he get for it.....a f'n broom job out the door, oh and a horribly executed bribe to try to brush this under the rug. Very low class on the Packers part....and Karma is a #####, so time will tell.

As a Detroit fan it is normal to hate on the Pack, especially living in Packer country. I had a hard time doing so with Brett Favre around. I even went as far as to wave a title towel at the Super Bowl celebration at Lambeau back in '96...I figured my team is most likely not going to win the SB in my lifetime so I might as well partake.

I am happy as hell to see Favre leaving the division....and now I can go about the business of despising everything green and gold.

It's a sad, sad day in Packer country and if you really are a Packer fan you are lying to yourself if you think this was the right decision. Out of respect for what the guy has done, and the fact that he still can play, this was a terrible, horrible decision.

The Packer organization had won 41% of their games prior to Favre coming to Green Bay.

With Favre in Green Bay, the Packers won 63% of their games, BEST IN THE NFL over the 16 year period.

The Packer organization had won 41% of their games prior to Favre coming to Green Bay. With Favre in Green Bay, the Packers won 63% of their games, BEST IN THE NFL over the 16 year period.
Then why is there only one SB win? That is what really counts.

Anyone expecting more than 1 SB every 16 years has some seriously HIGH expectations of their team. How's that working out for: Det, Ari, Jax, Hou, Buf, Mia, Oak, etc etc etc.

Will the Colts win another SB in Peyton's time in Indy? I certainly hope so, but I'm not going to EVER want the F.O. to piss him away until HE is 100% ready to hang'em up.

Wanted to add something else fun here. Was thinking about this in my normally empathetic fashion. So, let's play hypothetical here. 6 years from now Manning starts talking retirement, he's bugged and questioned all the time. He waffles, he hems-and-haws, puts the organization out over and over. Polian and coach keep cow-towing to his desires. Same thing plays out over an offseason that did with GB and Favre. How do I feel. I take every single Colt item in my house out to the firepit. Huge bottle of lighterfluid and have myself a f'n barbeque.

No f'n way I cheer for an organization that doesn't respect and do WHATEVER the HELL it can to keep a QB of that calibre happy and playing for as long as his body will physically allow it.

Honestly, that's the only reason I've followed this soap-opera at all. To prepare myself to completely divorce "my" team if they pull this completely disrespectful BS with Mannning at the end. I hope and pray they have more class and less arrogance than TT/MM/etc. :off soapbox:
Hope this never happens to you. It's a terrible feeling. I've been a die-hard Packer fan all my life...well before Favre came along. I never thought I would say this, but I really HATE the Packers right now. The way this was handled was classless and disgusting.
And the other side.I've been a die-hard Packer fan all my life...well before Favre came along. I never thought I would say this, but I really HATE Favre right now. The guy actually thought he was bigger than the organization and some of you agree with him.

The Packer organization had won 41% of their games prior to Favre coming to Green Bay. With Favre in Green Bay, the Packers won 63% of their games, BEST IN THE NFL over the 16 year period.
In 97, they were outplayed and outcoached by the Broncos.In 98, Darren Sharper made a terrible mistake that led to a game-winning TD catch by Terrell Owens.In 2003, Mike Sherman and Ed Donatell's coaching decisions prevented the Packers from beating the Eagles.In 2007, Favre's INT combined with some poor play in other areas (notably Al Harris getting toasted and the Packers' offensive line losing the battle) cost them in the NFC title game.Since the 96 Super Bowl win, I'd say those were the Packers' best chances to win or get to another Super Bowl. Only once - last season - would I place any blame on Favre for that not happening. Furthermore, Ron Wolf is on record as saying he didn't do enough as the GM to bring in more quality players to surround Favre with during his time with Green Bay.

One superbowl win in the last 16 years is better than: ArizonaAtlantaBuffaloCarolinaChicagoCincinnatiClevelandDetroitHoustonJacksonvilleKansas CityMiamiMinnesotaNew OrleansNew York JetsOaklandPhiladelphiaTennesseeSan DiegoWashington

In 97, they were outplayed and outcoached by the Broncos.In 98, Darren Sharper made a terrible mistake that led to a game-winning TD catch by Terrell Owens.In 2003, Mike Sherman and Ed Donatell's coaching decisions prevented the Packers from beating the Eagles.In 2007, Favre's INT combined with some poor play in other areas (notably Al Harris getting toasted and the Packers' offensive line losing the battle) cost them in the NFC title game.Since the 96 Super Bowl win, I'd say those were the Packers' best chances to win or get to another Super Bowl. Only once - last season - would I place any blame on Favre for that not happening. Furthermore, Ron Wolf is on record as saying he didn't do enough as the GM to bring in more quality players to surround Favre with during his time with Green Bay.
I'm glad it is everybody else's fault. When if comes down to it Favre does not have a good playoff record. What about the OT interception in the Philly game (4th and 26) under Sherman.

Ron_Mexico said:
Great move.

Favre is an egomaniac who has turned into a wreckless gunslinger.

They would never have won another SB with him, he's the past.

On the #######' money! :goodposting:
An egomaniac? Really? What has Brett Favre ever said or done for that matter to make you categorize him as an egomaniac. I think he is just the opposite. If Brett Favre was an egomaniac he would have tried to get more money then any other QB in the league. Did he? No he took pay cuts so the Packers could bring in more talent. What does he get for it.....a f'n broom job out the door, oh and a horribly executed bribe to try to brush this under the rug. Very low class on the Packers part....and Karma is a #####, so time will tell.

As a Detroit fan it is normal to hate on the Pack, especially living in Packer country. I had a hard time doing so with Brett Favre around. I even went as far as to wave a title towel at the Super Bowl celebration at Lambeau back in '96...I figured my team is most likely not going to win the SB in my lifetime so I might as well partake.

I am happy as hell to see Favre leaving the division....and now I can go about the business of despising everything green and gold.

It's a sad, sad day in Packer country and if you really are a Packer fan you are lying to yourself if you think this was the right decision. Out of respect for what the guy has done, and the fact that he still can play, this was a terrible, horrible decision.

Wanted to add something else fun here. Was thinking about this in my normally empathetic fashion. So, let's play hypothetical here. 6 years from now Manning starts talking retirement, he's bugged and questioned all the time. He waffles, he hems-and-haws, puts the organization out over and over. Polian and coach keep cow-towing to his desires. Same thing plays out over an offseason that did with GB and Favre. How do I feel. I take every single Colt item in my house out to the firepit. Huge bottle of lighterfluid and have myself a f'n barbeque.No f'n way I cheer for an organization that doesn't respect and do WHATEVER the HELL it can to keep a QB of that calibre happy and playing for as long as his body will physically allow it.Honestly, that's the only reason I've followed this soap-opera at all. To prepare myself to completely divorce "my" team if they pull this completely disrespectful BS with Mannning at the end. I hope and pray they have more class and less arrogance than TT/MM/etc. :off soapbox:
Tony Dungy came out and said he would have done the same thing as the Packers did.

H.K. said:
It was all ego on the Packers side, and people's obsession with "value".He retired. They went out and got 2 new shiny toys. brohm and a 7th round QB. They were quite pleased. Then Favre wants back. What cut one of the newly draft QBs? What a waste! We burned a 2nd on a backup QB, now he's 3rd string?! We look like idiots. Packers couldn't swallow their pride, and do what was best for the team.Lets re-check things. Currently, NONE of the Packer QBs have EVER started a game in the NFL. And this is a team that is poised to make a SB run. Are you kidding me? ZERO starts. You just let go an elite QB who had an amazing year last year. He basically was a lock to get you to the playoffs. Now what? GM who let his own ego get in the way.Sorry, this isn't FF. You take Favre back, cut the 7th round QB, and deal w/ brohm as the 3rd string. As it stands now, you better hope AR doesn't get hurt. Because you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. You better hope AR is actually good. If this guy is Joey Harrington (Joey was a better college QB and a better prospect, would have gone well before where AR was drafted regardless if the Lions took him) then TT just blew it huge. Packers might find themselves dealing with endless QBs for the next 10 years, and to think they had a solid, reliable QB ready to play for them. Favre changing his mind was a BLESSING. Two months before they were begging for him back. But because they drafted two QBs, they’re going to cut off their nose to spite their face? It’s like Barry Sanders retiring, so the Lions draft two RBs. At training camp, Barry says he wants to play. Lions tell him to go pound sand, they have his replacement? *LOL* Are you kidding? AR isn’t a replacement for anything. He’s never started in the NFL. Bears did the same thing with Benson. We drafted him, we want to play him. Regardless of whom we have to trade to do it. Ignore the warning signs. We want to see our new toy play. Favre didn't want to go back, because they didn't want him. If TT said after the first text message, hell yes Favre come back now, he would have. HC talking about his mindset. It's laughable. AR is a joke, will follow in the long line of soft Jeff Tedford QBs, and the Packers will rue this day for a long time.
:lmao: What he said!
:goodposting: :goodposting: We have witnessed the worst decision by a front office in the history of professional sport.
I thought that was Houston selecting Mario Williams?Sorry to interrupt everyone's hyperbole.

I'm glad it is everybody else's fault. When if comes down to it Favre does not have a good playoff record. What about the OT interception in the Philly game (4th and 26) under Sherman.
If others are more directly responsible I don't see any reason to blame Favre. Should he be blamed for Terrell Davis running all over the defense in the 97 Super Bowl or for Sharper making a terrible mistake in coverage in the playoff loss to the Niners? As far as the Eagles game, yes he did throw an INT in overtime but I think most people would agree the game was lost when Sherman elected not to go for a fourth-and-short and then when Donatell's coverage allowed an inexplicable 4th-and-26 completion. If you want to place some blame on Favre due to the INT that's fine, I won't argue it wasn't a mistake. But in my opinion it pales in comparison to the other two plays and coaching decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread