What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Downgrade Driver this week? (1 Viewer)

Restricted

Footballguy
http://pacifistviking.blogspot.com/2007/09...aks-wisdom.html

In last season's Packer-Viking at Lambeau Field, I watched incredulously as Donald Driver lined up in the slot and consistently got covered by a linebacker (and consistently got open). Can a defensive scheme be so fixed that when an opponent's one viable WR threat lines up in the slot, he must be covered by a linebacker? Couldn't the Vikings shift a cornerback like Antoine Winfield or Fred Smoot to the slot to cover him?

No, lining up from the slot meant Driver got to torch linebackers and find openings in zones in the middle of the field. And Driver just destroyed the Vikings last season, netting 6 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown in the first matchup, and 9 catches for 99 yards in the second matchup.

According to the Star Tribune, Antoine Winfield has a better idea.

"Winfield said Monday that he plans to ask the Vikings coaching staff to match him up against Green Bay receiver Donald Driver on Sunday."

Packers are going to throw about 80% of the game, as no one can run on the Viqueens, and GB running game suck. I doubt they try much, and I am playing James Jones in a few leagues, but I would not downgrade any GB WR's

Last edited by a moderator:
How good is Antoine Winfield?

Significantly better than Cedric Griffin.

You should not downgrade any part of the Packers pass game this week.

Winfield's not really a shutdown cover corner, so even if he were on Driver the chances he shut him down at all are minimal. Smoot's with Washington now so he's not an option. The Vikes lack a great cover corner right now so I wouldn't downgrade Driver at all. In fact, I'd probably upgrade with the volume of passes the Packers will throw and the big games Driver has had against Minny in the past.

Winfield has always been a great open field tackler & overall playmaker. His cover skills are average & he is undersized. That is why Buffalo let him walk.

The Vikings can be passed on, the NFL knows that. I expect the Packer's game plan to be the exact same as last week. Farve will throw it 40 times. I expect Driver to be the target on 10 or so of those.

Pacifist Viking is incorrect.

The game at the Metrodome was as he describes, but the game at Lambeau, Winfield shut Driver down.

I guess he's good enough to be a contributing part of one of the leagues worst pass defenses going on two straight years now.

:tfp:

I be more concerned about Drivers sore knee then MN's D back. The guy that goes off this week I think is James Jones against the Vikes.

Winfield has always been a great open field tackler & overall playmaker. His cover skills are average & he is undersized. That is why Buffalo let him walk.The Vikings can be passed on, the NFL knows that. I expect the Packer's game plan to be the exact same as last week. Farve will throw it 40 times. I expect Driver to be the target on 10 or so of those.
:wub:

In the MIN/DET game, Griffin was "covering" Roy Williams most of the day...if Driver gets that matchup, look for 150 & a TD. Jennings should be good too.

Pacifist Viking is incorrect. The game at the Metrodome was as he describes, but the game at Lambeau, Winfield shut Driver down.
The weather was horrible that game...neither offense could get anything going.
Yep. I remember. I was there. :link:Driver got free against some zone coverage, but anytime he drew Winfield, he was blanketed. Now, that may have been because of a slow track. Overall, as one poster has already said, Favre will be throwing it at least 40 times on Sunday. Driver will catch his share of those.

Green Bay is perfectly suited to play well against Minnesota.

#1 They don't run the ball anyways so there is no big concern that Minnesota will shut down the ground game.

#2 Green Bay has enough quality WRs to find matchup problems and make plays due to attrition.

#3 Green Bay's defense will give them field position.

#4 Green Bay passes at the goalline.

I think Driver gets his standard ~7/~90/~1 in this matchup. Winfield is a great tackler, but I don't think he is the best cover guy. And besides, GB moves Driver around the field and it's unlikely that they will have Winfield shadowing him the entire game IMO. Driver is just not that good of a WR to gameplan against.

According to the Star Tribune, Antoine Winfield has a better idea."Winfield said Monday that he plans to ask the Vikings coaching staff to match him up against Green Bay receiver Donald Driver on Sunday."
Winfield has to ask to cover Driver? Seems like a no-brainer. No wonder Vikings pass defense sucks.

#1 They don't run the ball anyways so there is no big concern that Minnesota will shut down the ground game.

#2 Green Bay has enough quality WRs to find matchup problems and make plays due to attrition.

I think Driver gets his standard ~7/~90/~1 in this matchup. Winfield is a great tackler, but I don't think he is the best cover guy. And besides, GB moves Driver around the field and it's unlikely that they will have Winfield shadowing him the entire game IMO. Driver is just not that good of a WR to gameplan against.
:goodposting:

Pipes said:
kensat30 said:

:thumbup:
Fantasy = reality? Not for me.Driver doesn't catch very many passes when he is well covered. And he has a tendency to let hard throws get to his body which causes drops and deflections. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a nice solid WR, but you don't gameplan for nice solid WRs. I think Driver is a little below average for a WR#1 in the NFL. He's not bad, but he's not awesome either. He's just not the type of player you gameplan against.

You gameplan for Steve Smith/TO types. Care to elaborate on your eye roll? Or you do you really think that Driver is an elite talent that the opposing team needs to roll cover to and/or shadow with their best corner the entire game?

kensat30 said:
Green Bay is perfectly suited to play well against Minnesota.#1 They don't run the ball anyways so there is no big concern that Minnesota will shut down the ground game.#2 Green Bay has enough quality WRs to find matchup problems and make plays due to attrition.#3 Green Bay's defense will give them field position.#4 Green Bay passes at the goalline.I think Driver gets his standard ~7/~90/~1 in this matchup. Winfield is a great tackler, but I don't think he is the best cover guy. And besides, GB moves Driver around the field and it's unlikely that they will have Winfield shadowing him the entire game IMO. Driver is just not that good of a WR to gameplan against.
Vikings will blitz and try to get to Favre. Could mean big things on the quick slants. Also expect Brett to make some mistakes against that defense. Sacks/picks could be abundant.

Donnybrook said:
Restricted said:
According to the Star Tribune, Antoine Winfield has a better idea."Winfield said Monday that he plans to ask the Vikings coaching staff to match him up against Green Bay receiver Donald Driver on Sunday."
Winfield has to ask to cover Driver? Seems like a no-brainer. No wonder Vikings pass defense sucks.
Until you realize that GB has a TE that can catch (two if you count Franks) and two up and coming WR#2s that can also ball. I think Greg Jennings (when healthy) is more of a threat to score than Driver on any given play.

Pipes said:
kensat30 said:

Fantasy = reality? Not for me.Driver doesn't catch very many passes when he is well covered. And he has a tendency to let hard throws get to his body which causes drops and deflections. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a nice solid WR, but you don't gameplan for nice solid WRs. I think Driver is a little below average for a WR#1 in the NFL. He's not bad, but he's not awesome either. He's just not the type of player you gameplan against.

You gameplan for Steve Smith/TO types. Care to elaborate on your eye roll? Or you do you really think that Driver is an elite talent that the opposing team needs to roll cover to and/or shadow with their best corner the entire game?
Are you kidding...In the last 4 years only Chad Johnson & Torry Holt have more receiving yards than Driver. He's a Pro Bowler and a legit #1. Driver is definitely an elite talent and a top 10 NFL WR.Just curious who else on the Packers do you gameplan against since they don't have a running game right now?

Pipes said:
kensat30 said:

Are you kidding...In the last 4 years only Chad Johnson & Torry Holt have more receiving yards than Driver. He's a Pro Bowler and a legit #1.
BOOyah! :goodposting:

I think Driver is a little below average for a WR#1 in the NFL. He's not bad, but he's not awesome either.
Do below-average WRs go to the Pro Bowl often?http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2919...&week=PRO22

(Driver also went once before as well, IIRC...2002? 2003?)

But I'm sure alot of below-average WRs make the Pro Bowl...
Helps when your QB is Brett Favre and he locks onto you like no other. If Donald Driver is a legit pro-bowler, Javon Walker is the most talented WRs the NFL has ever seen.

I think Driver is a little below average for a WR#1 in the NFL. He's not bad, but he's not awesome either.
Do below-average WRs go to the Pro Bowl often?http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2919...&week=PRO22

Helps when your QB is Brett Favre and he locks onto you like no other. If Donald Driver is a legit pro-bowler, Javon Walker is the most talented WRs the NFL has ever seen.
Maybe, just maybe, Favre locks onto Driver because Driver's really good. You said that Driver doesn't catch the ball well in traffic so he must get open quite a bit to put up 3 straight years of 1200 receiving yards.

I don't like to get hung up on this sort of thing too much, but I think it's worth nothing Donald Driver's last four games against the Vikings:

9/99/0

6/191/1

5/84/2

8/114/1

I agree with those suggesting a 7/90/1 type of game.

How good is Antoine Winfield?Significantly better than Cedric Griffin.You should not downgrade any part of the Packers pass game this week.
Especially Driver.Last season at Minny 6 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown. At GB 9 catches for 99 yards.

Well, if you start assuming he'll see 12-14 targets, and factor in the fact that he and Favre are a SICK combination on slants, crosses and go's, I'd say he's good for 7/95/1.....as a floor.

Pipes said:
kensat30 said:

Maybe, just maybe, Favre locks onto Driver because Driver's really good. You said that Driver doesn't catch the ball well in traffic so he must get open quite a bit to put up 3 straight years of 1200 receiving yards.
If you've watched Driver play consistently, you see he has some pretty bad drops from time to time. Cost Favre at least 1 interception this season so far through 3 games. Three straight years of 1,200 yards with Favre passing the ball, whoopdie. Favre turns scrubs into decent options. And GB has had ZERO WRs outside of Driver for the past few seasons. And when they did have a WR outside of Driver, Javon Walker put up better stats than Driver ever has.Get off it man, Driver is good, but he is not GREAT like you are suggesting.

Pipes said:
kensat30 said:

If you've watched Driver play consistently, you see he has some pretty bad drops from time to time. Cost Favre at least 1 interception this season so far through 3 games. Three straight years of 1,200 yards with Favre passing the ball, whoopdie. Favre turns scrubs into decent options. And GB has had ZERO WRs outside of Driver for the past few seasons. And when they did have a WR outside of Driver, Javon Walker put up better stats than Driver ever has.Get off it man, Driver is good, but he is not GREAT like you are suggesting.
:mellow: Why don't you get off of it? I've seen every Packer game and while Driver has had some drops he doesn't drop any more than the other top notch WR's. I'm not saying he's a Chad Johnson or a Torry Holt but he is a pro bowl WR which makes him well above average. And why do you keep comparing Walker to Driver...where did I ever say that Driver was a better WR than Walker, who by the way has had exactly one season that was statistically better than Driver's last 3. Favre has made alot of average WR's pretty good (Freeman & Brooks) come to mind Driver's not one of them.

Saying Favre made Driver who he is is a stupid arguement. The same could be said for a lot of successful WR's. Besides it's not like Favre was tearing up the league the last couple of years.

The bottom line...Driver is a must start (as usual). I'm a Vikings fan and usually I expect the Vikes to put up a good fight against GB in the Metrodome, but this weekend I'm not so sure. Winfield, nor anybody else in the backfield will likely shut Driver.

I don't like to get hung up on this sort of thing too much, but I think it's worth nothing Donald Driver's last four games against the Vikings:9/99/06/191/15/84/28/114/1I agree with those suggesting a 7/90/1 type of game.
Last season at Minny 6 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown. At GB 9 catches for 99 yards.
In last season's Packer-Viking at Lambeau Field, I watched incredulously as Donald Driver lined up in the slot and consistently got covered by a linebacker (and consistently got open). Can a defensive scheme be so fixed that when an opponent's one viable WR threat lines up in the slot, he must be covered by a linebacker? Couldn't the Vikings shift a cornerback like Antoine Winfield or Fred Smoot to the slot to cover him?No, lining up from the slot meant Driver got to torch linebackers and find openings in zones in the middle of the field. And Driver just destroyed the Vikings last season, netting 6 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown in the first matchup, and 9 catches for 99 yards in the second matchup.According to the Star Tribune, Antoine Winfield has a better idea."Winfield said Monday that he plans to ask the Vikings coaching staff to match him up against Green Bay receiver Donald Driver on Sunday."
Catch a gist.

Agree to disagree then.

I just don't understand how someone that watches a lot of NFL football games would think that Driver is one of the best WRs in the NFL. All I hear is stats this and pro-bowl that. Hell, if you put an average WR out there and have Brett Favre throw him the ball 10 times a game, he better make the pro-bowl. Bottomline, If I'm an NFL GM, Driver is not even on my top20 WR list. When was the last time Favre had a WR#1 that DIDN'T put up stats.

Fantasy is not reality.

And anyways, even if Minnesota does decide that Driver is worthy of being shadowed all game, they have no lock down corner so it wouldn't make a difference anyways. Even if they did have a lock down corner, there are several other pass-catchers who can put up stats, and anyone of them would be mismatched vs. a linebacker. That is why Minnesota should and probably will bring the pressure and try to force Favre into bad decisions, rather than simply focusing on containing Driver.

Agree to disagree then.

I just don't understand how someone that watches a lot of NFL football games would think that Driver is one of the best WRs in the NFL. All I hear is stats this and pro-bowl that. Hell, if you put an average WR out there and have Brett Favre throw him the ball 10 times a game, he better make the pro-bowl. Bottomline, If I'm an NFL GM, Driver is not even on my top20 WR list. When was the last time Favre had a WR#1 that DIDN'T put up stats.

Fantasy is not reality.

And anyways, even if Minnesota does decide that Driver is worthy of being shadowed all game, they have no lock down corner so it wouldn't make a difference anyways. Even if they did have a lock down corner, there are several other pass-catchers who can put up stats, and anyone of them would be mismatched vs. a linebacker. That is why Minnesota should and probably will bring the pressure and try to force Favre into bad decisions, rather than simply focusing on containing Driver.
Ray Sherman, WR coach for Dallas (former Packer's WR coach) on Donald Driver."I got nervous the year he went to go visit Kansas City and Minnesota. I was hoping we wouldn't lose him. I got nervous because I didn't want that guy going and visiting other people. He kept me abreast of what was going on and deep down inside, I said, ‘Whew.' He's a special guy. He is one of the best receivers I have ever coached. Every day he busts his butt and he doesn't forget where he came from or how hard he's worked to get here."

FWIW, I think Driver is an above average #1 WR. Sure, he's been Favre's favorite target and the last few years everyone knows he's going to get the ball....yet he still makes plays and has great days. What more do you want from a #1?

I don't like to get hung up on this sort of thing too much, but I think it's worth nothing Donald Driver's last four games against the Vikings:

9/99/0

6/191/1

5/84/2

8/114/1

I agree with those suggesting a 7/90/1 type of game.
Last season at Minny 6 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown. At GB 9 catches for 99 yards.
In last season's Packer-Viking at Lambeau Field, I watched incredulously as Donald Driver lined up in the slot and consistently got covered by a linebacker (and consistently got open). Can a defensive scheme be so fixed that when an opponent's one viable WR threat lines up in the slot, he must be covered by a linebacker? Couldn't the Vikings shift a cornerback like Antoine Winfield or Fred Smoot to the slot to cover him?

No, lining up from the slot meant Driver got to torch linebackers and find openings in zones in the middle of the field. And Driver just destroyed the Vikings last season, netting 6 catches for 191 yards and a touchdown in the first matchup, and 9 catches for 99 yards in the second matchup.

"Winfield said Monday that he plans to ask the Vikings coaching staff to match him up against Green Bay receiver Donald Driver on Sunday."
Catch a gist.
ROFL, Winfield better be carefull, he just might get what he wants and look like a fool as Driver lights his ### up.

Because T.O. has never dropped a pass... :confused:

What people don't understand when it comes to Driver is the type of game he plays is different than most of the leagues #1 WRs. Is he as physically gifted as someone like T.O. or Moss? No. But he finishes routes/runs harder, plays faster, blocks better and gets a ton of YAC. His game is underneath, not going deep and out-jumping guys or out-muscling them.

He is a GREAT WR. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just blind or dumb.

I be more concerned about Drivers sore knee then MN's D back. The guy that goes off this week I think is James Jones against the Vikes.
I'd say it's Jennings, but I agree with the overall idea. One of the other receivers should have a big day...
It's not going to be Jennings that for sure, he was ok Wednesday but in Thursday practice a no go..Make it Jones again the other side of Driver, as of now.

http://pacifistviking.blogspot.com/2007/09...aks-wisdom.html

Childress will say no. His way or the highway, bub.

I think Jennings will play. From JSonline Blog:

WR Greg Jennings did not practice. He didn't practice until Friday last week. McCarthy said they want to be careful with his hamstring.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/

They're just being cautious. I will say this though, Jones had more targets last week according Yahoo. As a Jennings owner, that makes me nervous.

I'd say it's Jennings, but I agree with the overall idea. One of the other receivers should have a big day...
It's not going to be Jennings that for sure, he was ok Wednesday but in Thursday practice a no go..Make it Jones again the other side of Driver, as of now.
Wide receiver Greg Jennings (hamstring) did not practice at all in order to allow him to rest after a day of practice on Wednesday. He is expected to return to practice today.Link.

Agree to disagree then. I just don't understand how someone that watches a lot of NFL football games would think that Driver is one of the best WRs in the NFL. All I hear is stats this and pro-bowl that. Hell, if you put an average WR out there and have Brett Favre throw him the ball 10 times a game, he better make the pro-bowl. Bottomline, If I'm an NFL GM, Driver is not even on my top20 WR list. When was the last time Favre had a WR#1 that DIDN'T put up stats.
From 1999-2001, the best a Green Bay WR finished by FBG scoring was #18 (Freeman). Since then, Driver has finished #13 or better 5 times, and as high as #5.

Agree to disagree then. I just don't understand how someone that watches a lot of NFL football games would think that Driver is one of the best WRs in the NFL. All I hear is stats this and pro-bowl that. Hell, if you put an average WR out there and have Brett Favre throw him the ball 10 times a game, he better make the pro-bowl. Bottomline, If I'm an NFL GM, Driver is not even on my top20 WR list. When was the last time Favre had a WR#1 that DIDN'T put up stats.
From 1999-2001, the best a Green Bay WR finished by FBG scoring was #18 (Freeman). Since then, Driver has finished #13 or better 5 times, and as high as #5.
Care to look at any other year except 1999-2001? Or is the sample size limited to an aging Antonio Freeman and Bill freaking Schroeder (both of whom had 1,000 yards in the same year in 1999). Funny how both of those guys left the Pack in 2001, and BOTH were out of the NFL within two years. Way to pick and choose your stats. Maybe go back to 1998 instead when the same Antonio Freeman put up better stats than Driver has in his entire career (1400/14). OR go ahead to 2004 when a second year player Javon Walker ALSO put up better stats than Driver ever did (1400/12). Now I'm not saying that Freeman is a better player than Driver (he's not), just that stats don't tell the whole story. What other WRs did in GB is not the point I'm trying to make here. I'm attempting to change this debate from a quantitative argument to a qualitative argument. It's very difficult on a fantasy football board to do this because statistics player such an important role here. But stats should never been used as the main factor when judging a players abilities IMO. Let me ask you this: Would Donald Driver be succeeding as a Cleveland Brown for the past 3 years?The main thing that I've seen, that another Driver enthusiast already pointed out, is that Driver is not a TO or Moss type and gets by on underneath stuff. He doesn't beat 1v1 coverage downfield very often. He doesn't make big plays very often. And he doesn't change games very often. And even at underneath stuff he makes a few more mistakes than I would like. He does his job and with Brett Favre as QB that's what he should be doing. Don't praise the guy just because he does a good job though. Laverneous Coles does his job, but that doesn't make him a stud. Driver's a good player, a great #2 WR (as evidenced by Javon Walker) but he's just not a great player from a talent standpoint. Based on talent alone, I would take many WRs over Driver if I am GM. I think any one of the players I list below could put up BETTER stats than Driver if Brett Favre was focus firing them the ball and they managed to stay healthy. That's not to say that they are better than Driver from a fantasy standpoint, because obviously they don't play for GB right now. Count 'em up, there are almost 20 WRs here and there are 32 teams in the NFL = Driver is a below average WR#1. Good, but not great.Larry FitzgeraldAnquan BoldinLee EvansSteve SmithBraylon EdwardsTOJavon WalkerAndre JohnsonRoy WilliamsCalvin JohnsonMarvin HarrisonReggie WayneMarques ColstonPlaxico BurressRandy MossHines WardTorry Holt

Agree to disagree then.

Care to look at any other year except 1999-2001? Or is the sample size limited to an aging Antonio Freeman and Bill freaking Schroeder (both of whom had 1,000 yards in the same year in 1999). Funny how both of those guys left the Pack in 2001, and BOTH were out of the NFL within two years.
I've bolded your question above, which I was answering; the three years before Driver took over, Favre had WR#1s who didn't put up stats.Driver is a very good and underrated WR, and better than many of the guys on your list.

winfield is not even close to a good cover corner, marginal., but he hits pretty good for a little guy. All that said, Driver will abuse him this week.

So who's gonna catch Favre's record-breaking TD pass this weekend?

He's gotta be looking for Driver when they get in close to catch that bad boy. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread