What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2015 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Minnesota senior RB David Cobb rushed for 118 yards and a touchdown on 25 carries in the school's 34-24 loss to Wisconsin.

Cobb was extremely questionable for this game with a left hamstring injury, however, early on he produced a 40 yard touchdown and looked fairly healthy. Cobb has a well rounded skill set to contribute in the NFL early on.

Nov 29 - 8:14 PM
Louisville senior WR Devante Parker caught six passes for 180 yards and three touchdowns in the school's 44-40 win over Kentucky.

Parker was able to twist and turn his way into open field, creating separation with routes, body control, timing and just poor defense. Parker is extremely good at the catch point, so hopefully he meets a quarterback in the NFL willing to throw back shoulder timing routes. Parker did miss multiple weeks with a broken foot.

Nov 29 - 3:59 PM
South Carolina junior RB Mike Davis rushed for 39 yards on 12 carries in the school's 35-17 loss to Clemson.

South Carolina was down 21-7 at halftime and abandoned the run, instead focusing on a inept passing attack. Production wise, it has been a very bad season for Davis. We still contend he has plenty of skill and could warrant a third- or fourth-round draft pick.

Nov 29 - 3:35 PM
ECU senior WR Justin Hardy caught nine passes for 88 yards and a touchdown in the school's 49-32 win over Tulsa.

Hardy continues to shine from the slot. His 20 yard reception displayed an ability to absorb contact, roll off of it and find open areas of the field. He will play the same role in the NFL.

Nov 29 - 10:56 AM
Arizona State redshirt junior WR Jaelen Strong caught four passes for 80 yards and a touchdown in the school's 42-35 loss to Arizona.

Strong made a couple of spectacular grabs, include a 50 yarder and a difficult three yard touchdown grab. He did spend some time on the sideline, however, which has been a common outcome. Still, Strong should peak the curiosity of many teams and will likely wind up in the second-round.

Nov 29 - 10:03 AM
Auburn redshirt junior wide receiver Sammie Coates has "struggled" and is no "more than a project right now," according to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

"Coates has blazing speed with a yoked up frame and long arms, but until he shows improved ballskills, focus and understanding of the position, it's tough to see the Auburn junior receiver as anything more than a project right now," Brugler writes. The Auburn prospect has 25 receptions for 511 yards, with only two touchdowns on the season. Unfortunately for Coates, he has battled injuries all year and needs to work on his hands, but he has the physical tools (6-foot-2, 201 pounds; 4.36 40 time) to be a first-round pick.

Source: CBS Sports
Nov 28 - 4:34 PM

I imagine that everyone will be head over heals over Amari Cooper after the Iron Bowl. I just wondering what Blake Sims NFL potential is? He playing like Russell Wilson right now.

With Coates disappointing season there's a good opportunity for somebody to draft him late first round in this year's rookie drafts. The big question with him will be figuring out if the production this season is an indicator of his skill set or was he playing hurt all year.

With Coates disappointing season there's a good opportunity for somebody to draft him late first round in this year's rookie drafts. The big question with him will be figuring out if the production this season is an indicator of his skill set or was he playing hurt all year.
I think he was hindered by his knee most of the season. Like I said before, once that brace comes off he will look like a different player. He looked like a different player last night. He just showed to be a better athlete than the entire Bama defense.

i hope he doesn't declare, he needs another year. Outstanding deep threat, but if he wants to be more than a one trick pony he needs to tighten up the rest of his game.

i hope he doesn't declare, he needs another year. Outstanding deep threat, but if he wants to be more than a one trick pony he needs to tighten up the rest of his game.
After watching him this year I think i agree with this. Another year would help him but if he gets a 1st round grade he's probably gone.

After watching him this year I think i agree with this. Another year would help him but if he gets a 1st round grade he's probably gone.
he is going to blow up the combine, maybe not first round blow up but second round? I'd be surprised if he is not.

I like Coates but i already own one WR who is a great athlete but not a great WR in Patterson. Not sure i could stomach another.

jurb26 said:
Sammy Coates putting on an absolute show vs. Bama.
Amari Cooper Also put on a show and basically won the game For Bama. I love this kid he is awesome... He is right up their with any top wr from this years class along with Beckham, Sammy, Evans and KB

Rotoworld:

Alabama junior RB T.J. Yeldon rushed for 127 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries in the school's 55-44 win over Auburn.
Just like we said about Odell Beckham Jr. and last year's receiver class, it is in the realm of possibility Yeldon becomes the best running back in the 2015 class. He displays great acceleration and burst through the hole and on upfield cuts. There have been fumbling issues in the past, but Yeldon looks exceptional this season.

Nov 30 - 12:47 PM
Auburn redshirt junior WR Sammie Coates caught five passes for 206 receiving yards and two touchdowns in the school's 55-44 loss to Alabama.
Coates plays on role: vertical receiver. He is not a good route run in terms of creating separation in breaks and he looks stiff. In fact, Coates is not the most reliable receiver at the catch point (see simple dropped touchdown), but he does come down with some acrobatic catches. He will post a ridiculous workout, however, do not expect a well rounded game from Coates in the NFL.

Nov 30 - 12:19 PM

Rotoworld:

Auburn redshirt junior WR Sammie Coates caught five passes for 206 receiving yards and two touchdowns in the school's 55-44 loss to Alabama.
Coates plays on role: vertical receiver. He is not a good route run in terms of creating separation in breaks and he looks stiff. In fact, Coates is not the most reliable receiver at the catch point (see simple dropped touchdown), but he does come down with some acrobatic catches. He will post a ridiculous workout, however, do not expect a well rounded game from Coates in the NFL.

Coates and Cooper were both impressive in that game. I think we already knew that both guys could run fast and catch long passes on vertical routes, but it was still nice to see them do it. Coates did a nice job of going up and getting the ball on one of his big plays. Something we haven't always seen from him.

Cooper ranks third in the nation in catches (103) and third in receptions of 25+ yards (15). For the sake of comparison, Coates only has 30 catches, but 11 of his have gone for 25+ yards. That means about 37% of his catches are big plays compared with just 15% for Cooper. You could interpret that as Coates being more explosive than Cooper or as Coates being more of a limited one-trick pony.

Big play stats do seem to have some predictive value though. The top 5 college WRs in 25+ yard catches last season were Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, Jordan Matthews, and Odell Beckham. Sammy Watkins ranked 7th.

If you're looking for a deep threat efficiency stats all-star this year, Miami's Philip Dorsett has Coates beaten. Dorsett has just 31 catches this year, but 14 of them have gone for 25+ yards. That's 45% of all his catches. Dorsett also runs on the track team and has clocked a 10.57 wind-legal 100m time. Given how much the NFL loves speed, I would not be surprised to see him pull a Jacoby Ford or Marquise Goodwin and blow up at the combine and get picked fairly high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Coates and Cooper were both impressive in that game. I think we already knew that both guys could run fast and catch long passes on vertical routes, but it was still nice to see them do it. Coates did a nice job of going up and getting the ball on one of his big plays. Something we haven't always seen from him.

Cooper ranks third in the nation in catches (103) and third in receptions of 25+ yards (15). For the sake of comparison, Coates only has 30 catches, but 11 of his have gone for 25+ yards. That means about 37% of his catches are big plays compared with just 15% for Cooper. You could interpret that as Coates being more explosive than Cooper or as Coates being more of a limited one-trick pony.

Big play stats do seem to have some predictive value though. The top 5 college WRs in 25+ yard catches last season were Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Davante Adams, Jordan Matthews, and Odell Beckham. Sammy Watkins ranked 7th.

If you're looking for a deep threat efficiency stats all-star this year, Miami's Philip Dorsett has Coates beaten. Dorsett has just 31 catches this year, but 14 of them have gone for 25+ yards. That's 45% of all his catches. Dorsett also runs on the track team and has clocked a 10.57 wind-legal 100m time. Given how much the NFL loves speed, I would not be surprised to see him pull a Jacoby Ford or Marquise Goodwin and blow up at the combine and get picked fairly high.
Coates is more explosive than Cooper and he isn't as well rounded. Not surprising given Coates is one of the most explosive and athletic guys in all of college football. Perhaps on the level of Julio. Very few WRs are ever going to enter the draft as developed and well rounded as Cooper. Dorsett is a one trick pony. He'll get drafted but I'm not sure I'd say highly. He's maybe a better version of Travis Benjamin.

Top 5 wouldn't surprise me. The Raiders could use a running back, among other things of course.
Late round 1, at the earliest. He probably needs to have a good pro day in April for that to happen, unfortunately. If a team like Oakland wants him then trade up to get him there, but RB is the last thing a team like Oakland should be looking to address. Other areas of the team need addressed first. Take some late round/udfa/cheap free agent fliers on the position and see if any of them or Murray breakout while the rest of the team develops. A RB early should not be in their plans for at least a year or two and maybe more.

Gordon, Gurley, Cooper top 3 as of right now?
Yep. Although as the owner of the 3rd pick I hope the hype train explodes on these three as I'd rather trade down and get a later 1, a future 1, and another pick. While there is a drop from tier 1 to tier 2 I don't think it's as big as I expect it to be publicized.

Yep. Although as the owner of the 3rd pick I hope the hype train explodes on these three as I'd rather trade down and get a later 1, a future 1, and another pick. While there is a drop from tier 1 to tier 2 I don't think it's as big as I expect it to be publicized.
Just curious as to the guys you like the most later in the 1st? I currently own 3 1st rounders this year and the highest one is #6 overall (just missed playoffs) and the other 2 are still TBD, but later. I keep floating around the idea of trading up to get Gordon or Gurley as I'm desperate for an elite RB, but I don't even know if giving up 2 of my later 1st's would be enough in my league and I hate the thought of giving that all up if I can get 3 shots later in the draft to land a guy of equal value.

Late round 1, at the earliest. He probably needs to have a good pro day in April for that to happen, unfortunately. If a team like Oakland wants him then trade up to get him there, but RB is the last thing a team like Oakland should be looking to address. Other areas of the team need addressed first. Take some late round/udfa/cheap free agent fliers on the position and see if any of them or Murray breakout while the rest of the team develops. A RB early should not be in their plans for at least a year or two and maybe more.
So you're saying the NFL treats Gurley as a prospect in the same vein as Doug Martin and David Wilson?

I guess we shall see. I'm a little skeptical that the devaluing of running backs has come to such an extremity. Or else I'm overrating Gurley. Imo, He's way more than half a round better than Bishop Sankey.

With regard to the Raiders, you're probably right though.

Just curious as to the guys you like the most later in the 1st? I currently own 3 1st rounders this year and the highest one is #6 overall (just missed playoffs) and the other 2 are still TBD, but later. I keep floating around the idea of trading up to get Gordon or Gurley as I'm desperate for an elite RB, but I don't even know if giving up 2 of my later 1st's would be enough in my league and I hate the thought of giving that all up if I can get 3 shots later in the draft to land a guy of equal value.
Mariota, Parker, Strong, White, Funchess, Coleman, Duke Johnson, and Yeldon.

To a lesser degree Abdullah and Ajayi, situation could vault them into the top group though. Keeping an open mind with Duke Williams, Coates, Montgomery, Greene, and even DGB (among others that aren't immeidately coming to mind I'm sure) but they all seem like more appropriate round 2 and later targets.

So you're saying the NFL treats Gurley as a prospect in the same vein as Doug Martin and David Wilson?

I guess we shall see. I'm a little skeptical that the devaluing of running backs has come to such an extremity. Or else I'm overrating Gurley. Imo, He's way more than half a round better than Bishop Sankey.

In this specific case, I think it's due to the quality of this RB class. I think rivals the quality of last year's WR class. To isolate Sammy Watkins, why spend two #1's and a 4 to get Watkins when you could spend a 1 on Beckham, a 2 on Adams, and keep your future 1 and future 4?

I feel the same about this RB class. If Gurley goes early round 1, fine, I'll pick Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, etc. day two. My day two back + round 1 pick > Gurley + your day two pick.

In this specific case, I think it's due to the quality of this RB class. I think rivals the quality of last year's WR class. To isolate Sammy Watkins, why spend two #1's and a 4 to get Watkins when you could spend a 1 on Beckham, a 2 on Adams, and keep your future 1 and future 4?I feel the same about this RB class. If Gurley goes early round 1, fine, I'll pick Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Duke Johnson, etc. day two. My day two back + round 1 pick > Gurley + your day two pick.
The gap between Gurely, assuming health, and the other RBs is greater than the gap Watkins had. Probably by a good margin.

To bad Gurley got hurt. Going to be more difficult to trade that pick.

Top 5 wouldn't surprise me. The Raiders could use a running back, among other things of course.
Gurley's pro day is going to be rather meaningless IMO. All that matters is his health and how far along he is in his recovery. NFL teams don't need to see him in under paints to know what he is. There is enough game film and it's dominant. It would be nice to have it, but I don't think it makes much, if any, impact on his draft position. Just his health.

To a lesser degree Abdullah and Ajayi, situation could vault them into the top group though. Keeping an open mind with Duke Williams, Coates, Montgomery, Greene, and even DGB (among others that aren't immeidately coming to mind I'm sure) but they all seem like more appropriate round 2 and later targets.
Assuming you can't get the 2 of those guys you like the most (let's say middle of the pack or later), you wouldn't trade 2 of those guys for Gordon or Gurley?

I feel like if I could get Parker and Coleman, I'd rather have them. If I was left with Yeldon, Strong, White or Funchess, I'd rather trade both of them to get Gurley or Gordon.

Gurley's pro day is going to be rather meaningless IMO. All that matters is his health and how far along he is in his recovery. NFL teams don't need to see him in under paints to know what he is. There is enough game film and it's dominant. It would be nice to have it, but I don't think it makes much, if any, impact on his draft position. Just his health.
I think that's exactly why his pro day is important. To show that he is in good health and able to begin practice at OTA's, maybe even rookie OTA's.

In the same situation. I own likely 3,4,7,14,15,17

None are my picks. Hoping the 6-12 range heats up so I can deal some for next year top 6 projected picks.

Assuming you can't get the 2 of those guys you like the most (let's say middle of the pack or later), you wouldn't trade 2 of those guys for Gordon or Gurley?

I feel like if I could get Parker and Coleman, I'd rather have them. If I was left with Yeldon, Strong, White or Funchess, I'd rather trade both of them to get Gurley or Gordon.
It really depends who goes where. I think Funchess in Dallas could be lethal whereas if he goes to a place like Kansas City I'm running scared.

I think that's exactly why his pro day is important. To show that he is in good health and able to begin practice at OTA's, maybe even rookie OTA's.
Is this Clowney all over again? Gurley is a top5 talent, I doubt he slips out of the top10 regardless of his pro day.

Is this Clowney all over again? Gurley is a top5 talent, I doubt he slips out of the top10 regardless of his pro day.
Clowney's positional value >>>>>>>> Gurley's positional value. You can have an effective ground game with 2nd and 3rd rate backs, you don't need a special back. Can't have an effective defense with 2nd and 3rd rate performance from your defensive front.

I know we as dynasty owners aren't afraid of ACL's anymore, but when was the last time any player with a torn ACL less than six months earlier went in the 1st round? I think it's far more likely someone gets great value in the 2nd round because NFL teams are way too conservative to take Gurley anywhere near where he would have gone healthy. I think a good team trades into the top of the 2nd for him.

I know we as dynasty owners aren't afraid of ACL's anymore, but when was the last time any player with a torn ACL less than six months earlier went in the 1st round? I think it's far more likely someone gets great value in the 2nd round because NFL teams are way too conservative to take Gurley anywhere near where he would have gone healthy. I think a good team trades into the top of the 2nd for him.
I'm not sure this is at all applicable. How many examples of a talent like Gurley who also happen to have this injury in that time frame have there even been? Like ever?

Didn't the Pats literally just do it this past draft with Easley?

Didn't the Pats literally just do it this past draft with Easley?
Yes.

Clowney's positional value >>>>>>>> Gurley's positional value. You can have an effective ground game with 2nd and 3rd rate backs, you don't need a special back. Can't have an effective defense with 2nd and 3rd rate performance from your defensive front.
You can get an effective rushing offense from a second tier running back in certain situations, when everything clicks perfectly. A team with a great offensive line opening holes, or an effective passing game keeping defenders away from the line can get away with an average ball carrier. But even such a fortunate offense would be that much better with a transformative talent like Gurley.

And anyhow, just because you can succeed with a mediocre running back, doesn't mean you will. Not every team has the pieces to pull it off.

Users who are viewing this thread