What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Sleeper List (1 Viewer)

I'm gonna go with Shawn Nelson TE Bills. With T.O. and Evans on the outside and Lynch/Jackson being good receivers out of the backfield, I could see him getting a lot of looks even as a rookie. Hopefully he can pick up the scheme fast enough to be able to play.
I liked Nelson before he went to Buffalo. I just don't see where the targets will come from. There is already a shortage with TO being added.
TO is old and he's on a one year deal. I don't think he represents a long term obstacle in Buffalo.
:rolleyes: You don't draft a rookie TE with the expectation of results in year one... it's year 2 or 3 that he'll produce, if he is going to produce.
Agree completely. I was responding to the idea of him getting a lot of looks as a rookie.

The two biggest group think players in FBG drafts this year are Dillard (too high) and Coffee (too low).
Couldn't agree more. Coffee's ranking of #31 (32.1 avg, 35.5 mdn) in the current rookie rankings is ridiculously low for a RB that has very little competition for the #2 spot behind Gore.
I wouldn't say that he has very little competition for the #2 spot. I think what gives most guys the perception that he is a lock for the backup job is due to his 3rd Rd draft status, which IMO, was a major reach. I've seen quite a bit of the 49ers over the past couple of seasons, and I believe there are already guys on the roster who are at least just as good as Coffee, if not better, and you also must not overlook the undrafted kid from Purdue, Kory Sheets......I believe Coffee's running style is going to get him creamed in the NFL, runs hard and tough inside as if he is a big back, but at slightly less than 210 with little wiggle to avoid hits, I just don't see much to really like here. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I see this kid being a flop and if they just hand him the job over some other guys there, that would be a shame. Now if he proves me wrong and goes out and earns the gig, then I'll tip my hat to the kid and admit that I missed this one....but :censored:

The two biggest group think players in FBG drafts this year are Dillard (too high) and Coffee (too low).
Couldn't agree more. Coffee's ranking of #31 (32.1 avg, 35.5 mdn) in the current rookie rankings is ridiculously low for a RB that has very little competition for the #2 spot behind Gore.
I wouldn't say that he has very little competition for the #2 spot. I think what gives most guys the perception that he is a lock for the backup job is due to his 3rd Rd draft status, which IMO, was a major reach. I've seen quite a bit of the 49ers over the past couple of seasons, and I believe there are already guys on the roster who are at least just as good as Coffee, if not better, and you also must not overlook the undrafted kid from Purdue, Kory Sheets......I believe Coffee's running style is going to get him creamed in the NFL, runs hard and tough inside as if he is a big back, but at slightly less than 210 with little wiggle to avoid hits, I just don't see much to really like here. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I see this kid being a flop and if they just hand him the job over some other guys there, that would be a shame. Now if he proves me wrong and goes out and earns the gig, then I'll tip my hat to the kid and admit that I missed this one....but

:censored:
I agree

I think everyone feels the same way about Coffee. He's falling in ALL of my drafts.

I give the kid credit for having a good season and earning himself a nice payday, but I think he's a DOA bust. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheets or Clayton beat him out. They probably won't cut him though since he was a third round pick.

I wouldn't say that he has very little competition for the #2 spot. I think what gives most guys the perception that he is a lock for the backup job is due to his 3rd Rd draft status, which IMO, was a major reach. I've seen quite a bit of the 49ers over the past couple of seasons, and I believe there are already guys on the roster who are at least just as good as Coffee, if not better, and you also must not overlook the undrafted kid from Purdue, Kory Sheets......I believe Coffee's running style is going to get him creamed in the NFL, runs hard and tough inside as if he is a big back, but at slightly less than 210 with little wiggle to avoid hits, I just don't see much to really like here. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I see this kid being a flop and if they just hand him the job over some other guys there, that would be a shame. Now if he proves me wrong and goes out and earns the gig, then I'll tip my hat to the kid and admit that I missed this one....but

:)
That's why I drafted Kory Sheets. Who knows what will happen?I agree

I think everyone feels the same way about Coffee. He's falling in ALL of my drafts. I give the kid credit for having a good season and earning himself a nice payday, but I think he's a DOA bust. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheets or Clayton beat him out. They probably won't cut him though since he was a third round pick.
And really that was my point earlier. Everyone in the FF community seems to think Coffee should not have come out and is poor risk, but two NFL teams (49ers and Texans) think he is at least a decent option as complementary back. Gosslien ranked him in the early 70s (where he went in the draft), and his rankings are purely from NFL sources. When I watched Alabama this year, I thought MEH, but what are the NFL guys seeing that FF community is missing? I work the secondary veteran WR market better than guess which rookie 3rd to 5th round WR is going to actually do something, I have been the one to take Coffee in multiple leagues late 2nd to mid 3rd. The good news is that I will probably know my answer on coffee, sheets or whoever by the end of the season 2009 instead on two to three year on investment on some of those WRs who are going before him. S

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone feels the same way about Coffee. He's falling in ALL of my drafts. I give the kid credit for having a good season and earning himself a nice payday, but I think he's a DOA bust. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sheets or Clayton beat him out. They probably won't cut him though since he was a third round pick.
And really that was my point earlier. Everyone in the FF community seems to think Coffee should not have come out and is poor risk, but two NFL teams (49ers and Texans) think he is at least a decent option as complementary back. Gosslien ranked him in the early 70s (where he went in the draft), and his rankings are purely from NFL sources. When I watched Alabama this year, I thought MEH, but what are the NFL guys seeing that FF community is missing? I work the secondary veteran WR market better than guess which rookie 3rd to 5th round WR is going to actually do something, I have been the one to take Coffee in multiple leagues late 2nd to mid 3rd. The good news is that I will probably know my answer on coffee, sheets or whoever by the end of the season 2009 instead on two to threee ear on investment on some of those WRs who are going before him. S
This is a good point. Waiting on a WR to develop can drive an owner nuts (see Sidney Rice) but as an A Bradshaw owner I can attest to the frustration in holding on to a "developing" RB with "upside" as well. I guess we all have to choose our poison.One of the great dilemmas in this game is balancing value in veaterans, draft picks and developing players.

And really that was my point earlier. Everyone in the FF community seems to think Coffee should not have come out and is poor risk, but two NFL teams (49ers and Texans) think he is at least a decent option as complementary back. Gosslien ranked him in the early 70s (where he went in the draft), and his rankings are purely from NFL sources. When I watched Alabama this year, I thought MEH, but what are the NFL guys seeing that FF community is missing? I work the secondary veteran WR market better than guess which rookie 3rd to 5th round WR is going to actually do something, I have been the one to take Coffee in multiple leagues late 2nd to mid 3rd. The good news is that I will probably know my answer on coffee, sheets or whoever by the end of the season 2009 instead on two to threee ear on investment on some of those WRs who are going before him. S
This is a good point. Waiting on a WR to develop can drive an owner nuts (see Sidney Rice) but as an A Bradshaw owner I can attest to the frustration in holding on to a "developing" RB with "upside" as well. I guess we all have to choose our poison.One of the great dilemmas in this game is balancing value in veaterans, draft picks and developing players.
Yeah a guy like Jerome Harrison who when you see him seems to be clearly if not a better back surely a capable back just drives you nuts when you can't figure out why he doesn't play. I've rostered and cut him so many times its crazy.

At least with Bradshaw you have seen enough to think that IF he gets a chance he should be productive and you are more waiting on the opportunity. Overall, in a perfect world I try to have about 20% of my roster on developmental/sleeper/flyer type guys that i going to attempt to just hold. Any more than that I usually feel like I am unable to manage my weekly rosters well and less I limiting the overall upside of my roster. this is made easier in leaques with some sort of taxi squad, but figuring out who and how long to wait is one of the more difficult parts of roster management in my view point.

For me, it's the fact that he plays in Chicago.That is death for a passing game. Eleven 1000 yard receivers in their history. None since 2002 when Marty Booker did it in back-to-back seasons. He needed 97 and 100 catches to hit 1000. I think it's safe to say that there is no way that Hester is going to be a 100 catch guy.I have Jay Cutler on my "do not draft" list for the same reason. Four 3000 yard passers in their history. They have never had a 4000 yard passer. Never.Chicago is death for passing.
You do realize that different players in past years have zero correlation to this year's performance? Who have been the franchise QB's that the Bears franchise have had over the years? Who are the players that have had so much more success away from Chicago than they did while they were there? Has it really been the system depressing Bear's player stats or have they just not had much talent in the passing game? I'd say the latter after looking at the list of leading passers and receivers in Chicago over the last 20 years or more. QB's Orton, Griese, Grossman, Hutchinson, Stewart, Miller, McNown, Matthews, Kramer, Kreig, Walsh, Harbaugh, Tomczak, McMahon don't have a stellar signal caller among them and the list of WR's isn't much better although there have been a few guys like Berrian, Marcus Robinson, Curtis Conway (couldn't stay healthy) that were decent enough and a few solid possession guys like Booker, Engram, Proehl.
Very good point. You know...there was a time when people would not have touched a Cardinal.
Yeah...you guys are right. Chicago is called the Windy City for no reason what so ever.A passer throwing 25% of his passes in an outdoor Chicago stadium in winter will have no problem.My bad for not jumping on the Cutler-to-Hester = Montana-to-Rice bandwagon.I stick with what I said. Jay Cutler will be LUCKY to throw for 3500+ yards (he's not lucky BTW)and Devin Hester will NOT have 1000 yards receiving. Quote it in anticipation of rubbing it in my face if you'd like. I don't post a whole lot, but I'll monitor this very closely.FYI...when Jim McMahon left college he had 70 NCAA records. So, he wasn't exactly a bum.Also, If I wasn't rooting for Simms to win the job in Denver, I'd place a bet that Orton will prove to be much better value at his ADP than Cutler will be.

Yeah...you guys are right. Chicago is called the Windy City for no reason what so ever.
actually, chicago's nickname of the "windy city" has nothing to do with wind. it refers to a bunch of chicago politicians (19th century, i believe) who did nothing but talk, blow hot air, etc. :thumbdown:

Yeah...you guys are right. Chicago is called the Windy City for no reason what so ever.
actually, chicago's nickname of the "windy city" has nothing to do with wind. it refers to a bunch of chicago politicians (19th century, i believe) who did nothing but talk, blow hot air, etc. :goodposting:
Chicago is not noted to be significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)Better trade away Tom Brady, that wind is a killer. :goodposting:

actually, chicago's nickname of the "windy city" has nothing to do with wind. it refers to a bunch of chicago politicians (19th century, i believe) who did nothing but talk, blow hot air, etc. ;)
Chicago is not noted to be significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)Better trade away Tom Brady, that wind is a killer. :lmao:
Tom Brady is always throwing with the wind to his back.

actually, chicago's nickname of the "windy city" has nothing to do with wind. it refers to a bunch of chicago politicians (19th century, i believe) who did nothing but talk, blow hot air, etc. :goodposting:
Chicago is not noted to be significantly windier than any other U.S. city. For example, the average annual wind speed of Chicago is: 10.3 mph (16.6 km/h); Boston: 12.4 mph (20.0 km/h); New York City, Central Park: 9.3 mph (15.0 km/h); and Los Angeles: 7.5 mph (12.1 km/h)Better trade away Tom Brady, that wind is a killer. ;)
I'm not trading Brady.Unless you have the need to get rid of Rivers and CJ3. :)

Back to the topic though...my ENTIRE contention is that just because Chicago got a QB who threw for 4000 yards last season...it does not mean that he is just going to transplant his numbers...and that Hester is going to be the beneficiary.

I think Jay Cutler and Devin Hester are Fool's Gold. I will dare people to beat me with that combo. What's Cutler's and Hester's current ADP? Cutler must be around 8-10? Hester is in the Mid 20's to early 30's? I don't think they are value and I'm staying away.

Looks like I'm a little late to the Cottam party, but I wrote this up in another thread and it probably belongs here instead.Brad Cottam TE KC6'7"250-270lbs (ESPN has him at 270)4.63 40Played in all 16 games (as a rookie) last year but was mainly used in 2TE sets. Only caught 7 passes, but that's because TonyG was in the house. Now that Tony's gone he'll be the primary TE target and at 6'7" he should see his fair share of Red Zone targets. Probably won't make the spectacular catches like Gonzalez did but he has decent hands. You can get him for basically nothing and I think he'll put up numbers in the 10-15 range with the potential for more if he becomes a primary Red Zone target.Downside is he doesn't have a history of being a stud... 4 year starter at Tennessee with a surprisingly low number of receptions although he did miss most of his senior year due to injury.Worth a roster spot in deep leagues IMO. Better to get him now before preseason starts. Not much downside if he flops (which I admit is very possible.)I don't think 30-40 rec and 450-550 yards is out of the question for the starting TE in KC. The key will be the redzone looks and I'm guessing 3-5 TD's seems pretty reasonable. Matt Cassels 18-20TD's have to go somewhere right? Why not a 6'7" TE?

Maybe a pass catcher, no more than average use in the new KC system.Cottam's problem was always injuries. I dont see him lighting the world on fire.
It's the same system that allowed Gonzalez to rack up 91 receptions last year. KC doesn't have a lot of offensive weapons. Why wouldn't they throw to this guy, especially in the redzone?

It's the same system that allowed Gonzalez to rack up 91 receptions last year. KC doesn't have a lot of offensive weapons. Why wouldn't they throw to this guy, especially in the redzone?
Really?I see a coach and a front office that came from teams where the TE was an afeterthought.

Mesmashu

I don't think it's safe to assume the system will be the same with a new head coach who was a former OC.

It may well be, but I think the jury is still out till we see the team play. IMHO

Isn't Chan Gailey still the OCoordinator? Didn't he put in his new offense last year? You think Haley is going to completely makeover the offense? Very possible I guess, but he doesn't have Fitz and Boldin to build around.

Mesmashu said:
Looks like I'm a little late to the Cottam party, but I wrote this up in another thread and it probably belongs here instead.Brad Cottam TE KC6'7"250-270lbs (ESPN has him at 270)4.63 40Played in all 16 games (as a rookie) last year but was mainly used in 2TE sets. Only caught 7 passes, but that's because TonyG was in the house. Now that Tony's gone he'll be the primary TE target and at 6'7" he should see his fair share of Red Zone targets. Probably won't make the spectacular catches like Gonzalez did but he has decent hands. You can get him for basically nothing and I think he'll put up numbers in the 10-15 range with the potential for more if he becomes a primary Red Zone target.Downside is he doesn't have a history of being a stud... 4 year starter at Tennessee with a surprisingly low number of receptions although he did miss most of his senior year due to injury.Worth a roster spot in deep leagues IMO. Better to get him now before preseason starts. Not much downside if he flops (which I admit is very possible.)I don't think 30-40 rec and 450-550 yards is out of the question for the starting TE in KC. The key will be the redzone looks and I'm guessing 3-5 TD's seems pretty reasonable. Matt Cassels 18-20TD's have to go somewhere right? Why not a 6'7" TE?

Maybe a pass catcher, no more than average use in the new KC system.Cottam's problem was always injuries. I dont see him lighting the world on fire.
No, its not the same system.ETA: What they said.

New Chiefs starting TE Brad Cottam acknowledged that he doesn't expect to catch many passes in new coach Todd Haley's offense.

Haley rarely threw to tight ends in Arizona, too. "I was brought here...to be more of a blocker," Cottam said. He started seven games in two-TE sets and caught seven passes as a rookie. Don't expect more than 20 grabs this year. [rotoworld]

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/football/story/1206903.html

I looked at Cottam as a potential sleeper in a survivor league and didn't come away very optimistic about his prospects.

He's a big guy with good straight line speed, but he's not very quick or durable. I'm not expecting much from him.

I am not sure if Chris Henry qualifies as a sleeper since most people in FF know about him. However some news recently suggests greater opportunity for him ahead with the Bengals. If he can stay out of trouble of course. This guy has a lot of talent.

Anyhow the news:

Any doubts about the health of Carson Palmer’s elbow were silenced about 30 minutes into the Bengals first OTA session Tuesday.

It was at that point during a drill with receivers that he lofted a 50-yard spiral downfield which Chris Henry caught in stride.

“I threw only a couple long ones it but felt like before I ever hurt my elbow. The arm felt great and the elbow felt great,” Palmer said.

Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said Palmer “looked really sharp and just like his old self” during the 90-minute session.

Considering that he was working behind a rebuilt offensive line, throwing to Laveranues Coles in live drills and putting new packages in for the first time, it was a solid start for Palmer during the 90-minute session.

“I was rusty in a number of areas but it’s the same for every team in the league at the moment,” Palmer said. “Everyone is putting in new things they’re doing and different things they’re trying.

“We put in a handful of new plays. You don’t want to throw it all out there the first day or practices get slowed down. You put in the new stuff in and keep working at it.”

Assessing the rest of the offense, Palmer liked what he saw from Coles and said it shouldn’t be long before he gets more in synch with him.

Palmer also lauded the play and offseason development of Henry, who lined up as one of the starting receivers in the first-team offense.

“He’s going to have a huge year and has come so far,” said Palmer of Henry. “He’s had an offseason like no other to him. He has never been 100 percent committed like he is now. He’s a great teammate and phenomenal player.”

As for the line, Palmer said: “I didn’t get sacked today. That’s not a good thing when your QB is watching the line. As long as you can focus downfield, that’s what you want.”

Palmer was not the only one who seemed content with the first day of workouts, Bratkowski also liked what he saw as well.

“I’ll be anxious to watch the film,” Bratkowski said. “We put a lot of stuff in today. The execution was pretty good.”

No shows: Besides Chad Ochocinco, which was not a surprise, fullback Jeremi Johnson did not participate, electing to workout on his own with his trainer.

Johnson was re-signed by the team last month after being released in November. Rookies Fui Vakapuna and Chris Pressley shared reps at fullback.

Depth charting: Andre Caldwell was the third receiver in three-receiver drills. … Rookie Rey Maualuga lined up at SAM linebacker with the second team. Rashad Jeanty, Dhani Jones and Keith Rivers were the starting linebackers.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009051...s+test+with++A+Also says that Caldwell played in the slot and apears to be 4th on the depth chart when Ocho comes back.

Isn't Chan Gailey still the OCoordinator? Didn't he put in his new offense last year? You think Haley is going to completely makeover the offense? Very possible I guess, but he doesn't have Fitz and Boldin to build around.
yup, Gailey is still the OC. I think the offense changed mid-season last year after Croyle and Huard got beat up and injured behind the Oline. Thigy was the "last man standing" at QB and Gailey kind of redesigned the Offense around his mobility to keep him upright and healthy. IMOI guess my point is nobody knows what to expect "for sure" from this team till they play.

Brady Quinn.

Nothing official, yet, on him taking the starting job but the chips are falling into place.

Canton Rep blog linik

Mangini: Quinn has “a little edge”

May 21st, 2009 @ 10:30 am by Steve Doerschuk

Eric Mangini didn’t say Brady Quinn has taken a lead in the quarterback competition against Derek Anderson.

He did say Quinn took the first reps in practice Wednesday and again will get the first reps in practice today. He explained:

“He’s done a really outstanding job with the offseason program … not that Derek hasn’t done well. (It’s just that) in that first phase, I thought Brady had a little bit of an edge.”

One view is that Quinn’s offseason preparation reflects the elements that made him a Round 1 pick, and will put him in the captain’s chair come September.
ESPN AFCN blog
QB: Brady Quinn vs. Derek Anderson

… Cleveland's offensive system under Mangini is being built around a power running game and an efficient and conservative passing game, which seems to favor Quinn.

Early favorite: Quinn
Browns front office made moves to get offensive help
... It became apparent after the first three selections of last Saturday’s NFL Draft that head coach Eric Mangini and general manager George Kokinis wanted to address needs on offense.

At center, the Browns selected Alex Mack.
Browns WR upgrade
… look at it from Eric Mangini's perspective. He ... has Braylon Edwards, Syndric Steptoe and Donte Stallworth as his only contributing options from 2008 in which the Browns ranked 31st in total passing offense. Since Mangini's arrival, Stallworth has gotten himself in quite a legal mess. The more it drags on, the more it looks like Stallworth will not be on the team next season. Let's be honest, even if Stallworth was on the team he wasn't going to be in this team's future plans.

So Mangini has two receivers: One is a former seventh-round pick (Steptoe) and has no business being anywhere, but the practice field. The other is a "me-first" player that has a tendency to drop too many easy balls (Edwards). Mangini wants his players to understand how he operates and he is changing the culture of this team. To do that, Mangini signed free agent David Patten. Mangini doesn't plan for Patten to be a huge part of this offense, but he is a capable body that knows what Mangini expects from his players.

The addition of Patten still leaves Mangini without intermediate weapons. Patten is a speed guy and is good for stretching the field. Edwards is best going deep because he tends to let up when he is sent over the middle. In order to get those intermediate weapons, the first step was trading with the Jets last Saturday at the NFL Draft.

The Browns received two defensive starters and suddenly, the Browns did not have to worry about making defense a priority in the draft. Instead, Mangini had the luxury of getting the two best receivers to fit into his game plan.

… none of the receivers who went before Robiskie and Massaquoi fit into the Browns' new system. Mangini was looking for big possession receivers and that was exactly what he got. He understands that when you are playing in Cleveland the name if the game has to be ball control. Run the ball to chew up the clock and get first downs with intermediate passing.

Brady Quinn can run the offense, but not without an intermediate outlet. We all know Quinn is not going to be throwing the ball 40 times a game and stretching the field, that isn't the type of player he is. What Quinn can do is manage the game and make plays from 30 yards and in. Robiskie and Massaquoi are going to be those options. When the Browns do want to take a shot deep, they have Patten and Edwards to keep the defense honest.

... Robiskie, he is 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, very reliable with a strong football background and superior work ethic. When the Ohio State offense was altered with freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor, Robiskie never complained. Robiskie is a stand up guy who makes plays when asked.

At the combine, Robiskie ran a 4.59 40-yard dash, but what a lot of people don't know is that he was the only player drafted on the first day that was in the top 10 in vertical jump, three-cone drill and 20-yard shuttle. All of those tend to be better indicators of actual football movement than a 40-yard straight sprint.

The Browns are not going to be an air-it-out team and break records in the passing game, but more importantly they don't want to. This will be a solid receiving corps that does their job and makes plays when they need to.
Last year Brady Quinn got his first NFL start, with only three days to prepare because it came on Thursday Night. He lead the team that scored 30 points. National stage, he played well but the defense let him down in the fourth quarter when they let Jay Cutler lead the Broncos to three scores and where they gave up 447 passing yards. Also on the last offensive play of the game Quinn hit Kellen Winslow in the chest with a pass that he dropped on a 4th and 1 play that ended the game. Brady Quinn's first NFL start

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

B. Quinn 23/35 239 2 - 0

The next week, on Monday Night, another national TV stage, he lead the offense to 29 points and a victory. In the game he broke his finger and gutted out playing thru the rest fourth quarter. He had thrown for ALL of his 185 yards before his hand was injured in the fourth quarter.

Quinn's second start

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

B. Quinn 14/36 185 0 0

The next week he played, with the broken finger, and after the game was placed on IR.

Quinn out for season

On November 25, it was announced that quarterback Brady Quinn would be out for the season due to a fractured right index finger suffered in the Browns' week 11 duel with the Buffalo Bills. Derek Anderson was announced to be the starter for their next game against the Indianapolis Colts.

People say Quinn was innacurate based on last year's stats. They are basing that primarily on a weak receiver corps and a QB who was injured in his second NFL start. In the two games that he was healthy for all but the last part of the fourth quarter in Buffalo, Quinn lead his team to 30 and 29 points and had two TDs with no INTs. Both of his first two starts were nationally televised games and his first start came with only three days to prepare so he produced under pressure.

His WR corps have been bolstered. He appears to be the front runner to win the starting job.

It seems many are sleeping on this sleeper.

Heads up.

Wasn't Haley the passing game coordinator in dallas when Witten emerged?

I did not say that KC or Gaily could not devise a scheme friendly to the TE. I said I dont think they will and its not going to be the same scheme they ran last year.Hey, I own Cottam in a couple leagues. I am a diehard Chiefs fan. I pray that he is Witten. Heck, I pray he is circa 2005 Zach Hilton. But I seriously doubt he will be a top 15 TE option or that he will get those kind of targets.

FBG projections on Matt Cassel have him attempting 515-520 passes this year.

Where do you see those targets going? We know Bowe is going to get his, as are the RB's... but who else? Bradley? 36yo Bobby Engram?

Beaumont said:
loose circuits said:

I did not say that KC or Gaily could not devise a scheme friendly to the TE. I said I dont think they will and its not going to be the same scheme they ran last year.Hey, I own Cottam in a couple leagues. I am a diehard Chiefs fan. I pray that he is Witten. Heck, I pray he is circa 2005 Zach Hilton. But I seriously doubt he will be a top 15 TE option or that he will get those kind of targets.
i don't know what's going to happen. I traded him for a 5th round rookie pick where i took Marko Mitchell, so that tells u how much I value him, but I'm not gonna completely write him off either. Part of the reason I did that was to leave an open roster spot for Jeremichael Finley who I like more. A lot more upside for a sleeper TE

If you just look at the draft position and the situation, Cottam looks like a good sleeper.

I'll be surprised if he does anything though. He only caught 21 balls in four seasons at Tennessee and doesn't look very quick or fluid.

FBG projections on Matt Cassel have him attempting 515-520 passes this year.Where do you see those targets going? We know Bowe is going to get his, as are the RB's... but who else? Bradley? 36yo Bobby Engram?
Ill be shocked if they throw that much. I expect Engram, Bradley and Charles to exceed pass catching expectations (I suppose depending on what your expectations actually were) ...I also think if the Chiefs try to be New England and pass all the time Cassel is leaving the field on a stretcher. The Chiefs have about 1/2 of an o-line.

Sammie Stroughter may be a guy to watch. I picked him up in both of my dynasty leagues. It's not like he has a lot of competition in TB. If Plax signs that will all change though.

TampaBay.com article

More Praise for Stroughter

TAMPA — Rookie Sammie Stroughter, a seventh-round pick from Oregon State, continues to impress, and coach Raheem Morris suggested Thursday that Stroughter, 23, was among the top four receivers on the roster right now.

"He's jumped right in there with the veterans. … You want to talk about a guy developing habits and picking them up quickly, just from watching the vets. You start to see him put his pads down, start to see him finish, how to run a route. (He's) listening to everything the older guys do, taking it from them and stealing it."

Positives from From NFL Draft Countdown:

Strengths:

Quick with a burst and plays faster than he times...Reliable hands...Is elusive with excellent vision and instincts...Runs great routes...Tough and plays bigger than he is...Super competitive...Good ball skills and body control...Great work ethic...Team leader...Fantastic return man.

If you just look at the draft position and the situation, Cottam looks like a good sleeper.

I'll be surprised if he does anything though. He only caught 21 balls in four seasons at Tennessee and doesn't look very quick or fluid.
Brad Cottam

I don't see a resemblance. Cottam is big and lumbering with no apparent lateral quickness.

The NFL favors agile TEs like Cooley, Winslow, and Keller over lumbering big guys.

I would add Chaz Schilens from the Raiders here.

6th round pick last year, and eventually took over as a starter, and caught whatever came near him. Last three weeks of the season, was targeted 11 times, with 7 catches, and two TDs.

Has apparently been the hardest working Raider this offseason, had a good minicamp, and appears to have a starting job locked up.

With the Raiders passing game, and the presence of Miller + DMC, I wouldn't be predicting too many 1,000 yard seasons anytime soon, but he is also an athletic freak, 6'4", 220, and runs like a deer. It's getting lost in the usual Raider cirucs, but they are pretty excited about him.
So it will be Schilens and DHB?What are your thoughts on Murphy?
It is a long way away, but if I had to guess right now, I'd say it'd be Schilens and DHB, with Higgins in the slot. I am not sure that that is how the catches break down, however. Higgins might wind up with more catches than both of them, as he has proven he can score from anywhere, and also catches the short stuff.
Good assessment. I like Schilens and targeted him in my offseason drafts (pre-DHB) as I thought he could emerge as the #1 there. Obviously, things have changed, but I'm glad to have him as a sleeper. A good read on him is here: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/152888-...is-in-his-handsRegarding Murphy, he has good size and speed, acceptable hands, a real downfield threat. I don't see him having the route-running savvy or elusiveness to really excel in any other role, though. I think he'll be used like a pickup game where your entire play is "ok, um, Louis, you run real far and I'll throw it to you." He has a place on an NFL team, but I think he's clearly inferior to the other options in Oakland for fantasy purposes.

Really, it's hard to say how the offense in Oakland is going to shake out. Usually players are boom-or-bust, right? I see their entire offense that way. I'm half-convinced that it'll be 50% running plays and 50% bombs.
I've read nothing but stellar things as well about Schillens all offseason.Caught this small blurb a couple days ago by Mike Lombardi at NFP, http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...-at-the-post-4/ ....

2. The NFL phone lines were quiet last week, but here are a few names of players (fourth round or lower) who I hear might make an immediate impact for their teams:

Player Position Team

Louis Murphy WR Oakland Raiders

D.J. Moore DC Chicago Bears

Terrance Taylor NT Indianapolis Colts

Kevin Huber P Cincinnati Bengals

Time and preseason tape will determine if these players are for real.
Pat Kirwan also mentioned on NFL Radio recently that he thought Iglesias of CHI had the most potential to have an Eddie Royal type of impact out of this class this year.

I don't see a resemblance. Cottam is big and lumbering with no apparent lateral quickness.The NFL favors agile TEs like Cooley, Winslow, and Keller over lumbering big guys.
Gotta disgaree big-time. You don't have to be an overgrown WR like Keller to be a FF stud. Cottam is far, FAR from a lumbering big guy. He's a very good athlete (especially for someone 6'7"/270) & has good receiving ability/instincts. It reminds me of some of the opinions on Brandon Pettigrew, who is also similar to Witten. Pettigrew is going to absolutely shock people who think he's only an average athlete.That said, Pettigrew & Cottam's situations are different. I know Pettigrew will get the targets & be an outstanding FF TE (in time), but not sure about Cottam in Haley's offense. Cottam has the talent, we'll just have to see how he's used. Well worth a flyer, tho, & should be watched closely in training camp. Cottam could be a huge steal if he gets incorporated into the offense.

New Jets coach Rex Ryan has already taken a liking to WR David Clowney.

Ryan took note of Clowney's blazing speed during last year's preseason, but now he thinks "there's more to him than that. He's been very impressive." Clowney has a chance to be a fantasy sleeper if the Jets don't draft a first-round wide receiver.Source: Newsday
I'm not sure what context this is in, but this is something I have not seen and is definitely interesting. Granted it's just one bit, but good info. To me the others are writers' speculation and more of the same I've seen around on Clowney since the preseason game he blew up.Until I see quotes from the staff saying that Stuckey is best fit as a slot guy, I still am holding strong that the kid could be a legitimate #2 guy in the NFL.
David Clowney ran as the Jets' starting split end at Thursday's OTA practice, ahead of Brad Smith.Chansi Stuckey was in the slot in three-wide sets. Jerricho Cotchery is the flanker. Clowney lacks Smith's experience, but has far more deep threat potential. We still think Dustin Keller is really the Jets' No. 2 receiver.Source: New York Daily News

:shrug:
Stuckey moves past Clowney: The New York Daily News reports Monday that WR Chansi Stuckey, and not David Clowney as previously reported, would be the starter opposite Jerricho Cotchery if the season started today. Stuckey is having a good offseason thus far, and according to the report, "his teammates are buzzing about his performance so far in the offseason." :shrug:

New Jets coach Rex Ryan has already taken a liking to WR David Clowney.

Ryan took note of Clowney's blazing speed during last year's preseason, but now he thinks "there's more to him than that. He's been very impressive." Clowney has a chance to be a fantasy sleeper if the Jets don't draft a first-round wide receiver.Source: Newsday
I'm not sure what context this is in, but this is something I have not seen and is definitely interesting. Granted it's just one bit, but good info. To me the others are writers' speculation and more of the same I've seen around on Clowney since the preseason game he blew up.Until I see quotes from the staff saying that Stuckey is best fit as a slot guy, I still am holding strong that the kid could be a legitimate #2 guy in the NFL.
David Clowney ran as the Jets' starting split end at Thursday's OTA practice, ahead of Brad Smith.Chansi Stuckey was in the slot in three-wide sets. Jerricho Cotchery is the flanker. Clowney lacks Smith's experience, but has far more deep threat potential. We still think Dustin Keller is really the Jets' No. 2 receiver.Source: New York Daily News

:popcorn:
Stuckey moves past Clowney: The New York Daily News reports Monday that WR Chansi Stuckey, and not David Clowney as previously reported, would be the starter opposite Jerricho Cotchery if the season started today. Stuckey is having a good offseason thus far, and according to the report, "his teammates are buzzing about his performance so far in the offseason." :lol:
I saw the guy in a preseason game against the Vikings and thought he was REALLY good. I like the news!! Guy is a major sleeper.

I don't see a resemblance. Cottam is big and lumbering with no apparent lateral quickness.The NFL favors agile TEs like Cooley, Winslow, and Keller over lumbering big guys.
Gotta disgaree big-time. You don't have to be an overgrown WR like Keller to be a FF stud. Cottam is far, FAR from a lumbering big guy. He's a very good athlete (especially for someone 6'7"/270) & has good receiving ability/instincts. It reminds me of some of the opinions on Brandon Pettigrew, who is also similar to Witten. Pettigrew is going to absolutely shock people who think he's only an average athlete.That said, Pettigrew & Cottam's situations are different. I know Pettigrew will get the targets & be an outstanding FF TE (in time), but not sure about Cottam in Haley's offense. Cottam has the talent, we'll just have to see how he's used. Well worth a flyer, tho, & should be watched closely in training camp. Cottam could be a huge steal if he gets incorporated into the offense.
I don't see a resemblance between Cottam or Pettigrew either. I've said my piece on Cottam. I don't think he has a chance. We'll have to wait and see.

Pat Kirwan also mentioned on NFL Radio recently that he thought Iglesias of CHI had the most potential to have an Eddie Royal type of impact out of this class this year.
He was awful in the Senior Bowl. I actually like Knox or Kinder better than Iglesias. Sure he was an opportunity but he's no Eddie Royal.

Sammie Stroughter may be a guy to watch. I picked him up in both of my dynasty leagues. It's not like he has a lot of competition in TB. If Plax signs that will all change though.

TampaBay.com article

More Praise for Stroughter

TAMPA — Rookie Sammie Stroughter, a seventh-round pick from Oregon State, continues to impress, and coach Raheem Morris suggested Thursday that Stroughter, 23, was among the top four receivers on the roster right now.

"He's jumped right in there with the veterans. … You want to talk about a guy developing habits and picking them up quickly, just from watching the vets. You start to see him put his pads down, start to see him finish, how to run a route. (He's) listening to everything the older guys do, taking it from them and stealing it."

Positives from From NFL Draft Countdown:

Strengths:

Quick with a burst and plays faster than he times...Reliable hands...Is elusive with excellent vision and instincts...Runs great routes...Tough and plays bigger than he is...Super competitive...Good ball skills and body control...Great work ethic...Team leader...Fantastic return man.
:goodposting: Tampa doesn't really have much talent at WR behind Antonio Bryant, so I am keeping an eye on everyone. Tampa has one of the best young O-lines, a solid running game, and a top TE. The opportunity is there for another WR to emerge, and it could be anyone right now. I even heard rumors they were looking at Harrison.

Don't count out Clayton, Stovall, or Dexter Jackson either.

I don't see a resemblance between Cottam or Pettigrew either. I've said my piece on Cottam. I don't think he has a chance. We'll have to wait and see.
That's the thing. I don't know about Cottam either. It simply depends if he gets the targets. He's certainly underrated, tho. Pettigrew, on the other hand, will be a stud in TE-required leagues (in time). He'll have the targets, & his big athletic body will be a dangerous redzone threat. But it won't happen overnight. Detroit has to get things together on offense first.

In terms of undervalued dynasty guys (not all sleepers) I think these guys are good bets for their current price:

Mendenhall (a rare combination of size/speed and footballing skill - could easily have multiple top five FF seasons)

Felix Jones (some people think Felix has a Marion problem; I think Marion has a much bigger Felix problem)

Jamaal Charles (IMO the best comparables in the last ten years are: Ahman Green, Clinton Portis and Steve Slaton - he could shine when he gets the ball)

Brandon Jackson/Deshawn Wynn (Ryan Grant isn't very good and Jackson or Wynn could be serviceable for a few years)

Andre Brown (a classic pounder - everything Shonne Green is supposed to be, but probably isn't - plus he can catch)

Limas Sweed (worth owning on his own, but especially good if you pair him with Holmes)

Malcolm Kelly (went full speed during the Skin's OTA today - dirt cheap given the upside)

Pierre Garcon (Driver and V Jax took four years to transition from small school to the NFL - Garcon's ahead of schedule; only guy I own in every league)

Jerome Simpson (Simpson isn't ahead of schedule, but if he catches 20 balls and a few TDs this year he's still on track)

Devin Hester (see EBF's comments above)

Mark Bradley (over his injuries, and 100 targets just became available in KC)

Laurent Robinson (someone's got to catch the ball in STL and I don't think it'll be Avery or Burton long-term - almost no risk at his current price)

Cornelius Ingram (I thought he was the #1 rookie TE until 32 teams passed four times; but I'll still take him with a 3rd round rookie pick)

And if you've got a really deep bench:

Steve Johnson (WR, BUF)

Legedu Naanee (WR, SD)

Ramses Barden (WR, NYG)

Brian Brohm (QB, GB)

In terms of undervalued dynasty guys (not all sleepers) I think these guys are good bets for their current price:Mendenhall (a rare combination of size/speed and footballing skill - could easily have multiple top five FF seasons)Felix Jones (some people think Felix has a Marion problem; I think Marion has a much bigger Felix problem)Jamaal Charles (IMO the best comparables in the last ten years are: Ahman Green, Clinton Portis and Steve Slaton - he could shine when he gets the ball)Brandon Jackson/Deshawn Wynn (Ryan Grant isn't very good and Jackson or Wynn could be serviceable for a few years)Andre Brown (a classic pounder - everything Shonne Green is supposed to be, but probably isn't - plus he can catch)Limas Sweed (worth owning on his own, but especially good if you pair him with Holmes)Malcolm Kelly (went full speed during the Skin's OTA today - dirt cheap given the upside)Pierre Garcon (Driver and V Jax took four years to transition from small school to the NFL - Garcon's ahead of schedule; only guy I own in every league)Jerome Simpson (Simpson isn't ahead of schedule, but if he catches 20 balls and a few TDs this year he's still on track)Devin Hester (see EBF's comments above)Mark Bradley (over his injuries, and 100 targets just became available in KC)Laurent Robinson (someone's got to catch the ball in STL and I don't think it'll be Avery or Burton long-term - almost no risk at his current price)Cornelius Ingram (I thought he was the #1 rookie TE until 32 teams passed four times; but I'll still take him with a 3rd round rookie pick)And if you've got a really deep bench:Steve Johnson (WR, BUF)Legedu Naanee (WR, SD)Ramses Barden (WR, NYG)Brian Brohm (QB, GB)
Brohm is still the #3 but perhps they'll trade him.I like Andre Brown and will add Austin Collie-he's in the perfect situation for a slot receiver.

In terms of undervalued dynasty guys (not all sleepers) I think these guys are good bets for their current price:

Mendenhall (a rare combination of size/speed and footballing skill - could easily have multiple top five FF seasons)

Felix Jones (some people think Felix has a Marion problem; I think Marion has a much bigger Felix problem)

Jamaal Charles (IMO the best comparables in the last ten years are: Ahman Green, Clinton Portis and Steve Slaton - he could shine when he gets the ball)

Brandon Jackson/Deshawn Wynn (Ryan Grant isn't very good and Jackson or Wynn could be serviceable for a few years)

Andre Brown (a classic pounder - everything Shonne Green is supposed to be, but probably isn't - plus he can catch)

Limas Sweed (worth owning on his own, but especially good if you pair him with Holmes)

Malcolm Kelly (went full speed during the Skin's OTA today - dirt cheap given the upside)

Pierre Garcon (Driver and V Jax took four years to transition from small school to the NFL - Garcon's ahead of schedule; only guy I own in every league)

Jerome Simpson (Simpson isn't ahead of schedule, but if he catches 20 balls and a few TDs this year he's still on track)

Laurent Robinson (someone's got to catch the ball in STL and I don't think it'll be Avery or Burton long-term - almost no risk at his current price)

Cornelius Ingram (I thought he was the #1 rookie TE until 32 teams passed four times; but I'll still take him with a 3rd round rookie pick)

Steve Johnson (WR, BUF)

Legedu Naanee (WR, SD)

Ramses Barden (WR, NYG)

Brian Brohm (QB, GB)
Brohm is still the #3 but perhps they'll trade him.I like Andre Brown and will add Austin Collie-he's in the perfect situation for a slot receiver.
It's anyone's guess how the new regime wants to use Gonzo, but the old one felt he was better in the slot. If the new one feels the same I think there's a good chance Collie could be outside, not in the slot. He's got the game for it, nice to see the Shark Pool finally warming up to this guy.

Steve Johnson (WR, BUF)

Legedu Naanee (WR, SD)

Ramses Barden (WR, NYG)

Brian Brohm (QB, GB)
It's anyone's guess how the new regime wants to use Gonzo, but the old one felt he was better in the slot. If the new one feels the same I think there's a good chance Collie could be outside, not in the slot. He's got the game for it, nice to see the Shark Pool finally warming up to this guy.
Pierre Garcon

Users who are viewing this thread