What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Tony Romo (1 Viewer)

Sopranos

Footballguy
Could he be a top 15 fantasy QB the rest of the way.. He has looked pretty good to me so far. Can he be the long term guy in Dallas? Your opinions are wanted

Could he be a top 15 fantasy QB the rest of the way?
Easily. Great weapons to work with. Mobility. Witten (his buddy and roommate) can now get into the patterns more. I think Romo might even be a Top 10 QB if you're not paying any tax for his turnovers.

Brett Favre with a weaker arm. Money in the bank. Parcells may pull out a few hairs every time he goes gun slinger though (like Holgrem did.

Unlike P. Manning and a few other robot QBs in the league, he has the potential to beat a Belicek coached team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw it in preseason. So did Parcells. Just took the owner a while to approve. Hi risk hi reward to start but this kid is going to be a top 5 qb soon. Forget top 15! The sky is the limit. I say top 5 by next year. APG possibly top 5 this year depending on your leagues scoreing.

I played him every league I own him and won every league I played him this week. Can't be dissapointed in that. I think I will again this week even though Brady out performed him last week in one league.

Top 15 is quite possible. Even though he's had just one NFL start, he's been on the team for 4 years. His preseason outlook was good enough to land him a new contract with the Cowboys and also end the Drew Henson project. His performance in Carolina may well have sealed him the starting job. His surrounding cast is an overstated point here, but is a factor nonetheless.

However he just doesn't have NFL experience and will make some mistakes, just as you've seen sometimes with Leinart or Grossman. So don't believe all the posts that portray him as the next coming based on seeing him have a good game or two. Overreaction is abundant here.

Oh, and whoever said the owner finally approved the move is wrong. Jerry said he would have preferred Bledsoe and his experience to stay in there.

I think Tony will look great against Washington this weekend too because of their ongoing woes, so expect continued overreaction here based on early returns that aren't a good sample size. You might even be able to trade him to someone who also typically overreacts in such a manner before he has a below average game.

If you want to make money listen to me.

If you want to lose money listen to SICKTHING.

Made 50 grand on Tiki, Thanks Tiki,

Will make another 50 grand on Romo! GUAREENTEED!

Your welcome to have your own opinion different then mine SICKO but don;t follow me around here and call me out. Put your $$$ where your mouth is. YOUR LOSE EVERYTIME!

Romo is ALREADY TOP 10 AFP PER GAME if you discount his 8 pts of mop up duty against Houston. 19 in one half against Giants. And over 20 his first full game against a tuff Carilina D in normal scoreing leagues except 3 pt. deductions for turnovers.

And sickface JONES IS THE REASON ROMO wasn't starting in first place no matter what you think or say! If you followed the Cowboys instead of me around here to challenge what I say maybe you would know where my statements came from.

Unlike P. Manning and a few other robot QBs in the league, he has the potential to beat a Belicek coached team.
:rolleyes: Romo is definitely going to be hit n miss but overall you could do worse for a starting FF QB - worth at least a backup slot. Unlike fn bledsoe :bitter:

I picked him up and he's getting the start on McNofro's bye week.

I like the way he moves in the pocket and has the ability to run....helping Dallas stay on the field. The O-line isn't that good, so I expect them to roll him out of the pocket some(Plummer-esque) to give his WR time get downfield. I don't think you could really ask for more from a QB's first 6 quarters, all of which came against decent DEF's. I think Romo will have a nice run in the second half of the season....I also think Owens owners and Witten owners will see the benefit.

If you want to make money listen to me. If you want to lose money listen to SICKTHING. Made 50 grand on Tiki, Thanks Tiki,Will make another 50 grand on Romo! GUAREENTEED! Your welcome to have your own opinion different then mine SICKO but don;t follow me around here and call me out. Put your $$$ where your mouth is. YOUR LOSE EVERYTIME! Romo is ALREADY TOP 10 AFP PER GAME if you discount his 8 pts of mop up duty against Houston. 19 in one half against Giants. And over 20 his first full game against a tuff Carilina D in normal scoreing leagues except 3 pt. deductions for turnovers. And sickface JONES IS THE REASON ROMO wasn't starting in first place no matter what you think or say! If you followed the Cowboys instead of me around here to challenge what I say maybe you would know where my statements came from.
settle down there fella

Tap the brakes, folks... it's just one start. Give teams time to study his film and gameplan for him.

As a Cowboy lover, though, I hope he is our new Roger Staubach.

Romo is allowing JJ to run more freely. When the statue was in there, it didn't matter if it was a run or pass, the D came straight ahead because that is where the ball was going to be. With Romo, the ability to move out of the pocket is keeping the D from teeing off. Jones had holes he couldn't imagine with Bledsuck in there.

He has IT. You can't define it, you can't put your finger on it, but it's there. Good stuff to come.

Thought I'd bump after yesterday's performance. Pretty good, no picks, two TD tosses. Could have had 3 and 300+ yards if not for Mr. Dropsie...

I picked him up this week for Jake D bye.....I like hime alot and I think he could be a keeper.....He is alot better than I thought he would be very calm out there

Thought I'd bump after yesterday's performance. Pretty good, no picks, two TD tosses. Could have had 3 and 300+ yards if not for Mr. Dropsie...
He looked good. He stood in the pocket when he need to, he rolled out of the pocket when he needed to. The Redskins didn't get a ton of pressure on him and he handled most of it pretty well. He didn't make any really bad throws that remember.

Bruce Gradkowski looked like a damned good fantasy qb after his first two starts as well. :shrug:
Maybe soBut ROMO has all the weapons to keep his play level up though Clayton/Galloway/A.Smith/Caddy is no where near TO/GLENN/CRAYTON/WITTEN/JJ/MBIII. Romo is showing so much poise and alot of his passes are right on target like he threading a needle. I say he can keep it up from here on out. Bruce G just didnt make too many mistakes in his 1st 2 starts. Numbers dont tell everything...

Bruce Gradkowski looked like a damned good fantasy qb after his first two starts as well. :shrug:
Maybe soBut ROMO has all the weapons to keep his play level up though Clayton/Galloway/A.Smith/Caddy is no where near TO/GLENN/CRAYTON/WITTEN/JJ/MBIII. Romo is showing so much poise and alot of his passes are right on target like he threading a needle. I say he can keep it up from here on out. Bruce G just didnt make too many mistakes in his 1st 2 starts. Numbers dont tell everything...
I like Romo as well I simply think we should temper our expectations. If in a few weeks he's still performing at this level then I'll crown his ### along with the rest of you. I want to see how he handles himself after opposing teams have had time to plan against him.

Yes, but Gradkowski is a rookie. Romo is in his 4th season. Big difference.
:goodposting: I am not crowning him either......I do think he has looked good and is playing on a pretty good team with very good WR. How well he plays in the next 8 games will be a big factor in what I do at the end of the year.....I hope he keeps getting better

Couple weeks of tape on him now and def will start planning against him. Leinart looked good for two starts too. I can't wait till Romo stuggles and T.O. is all up in his ####. It's going to be a top notch soap opera. They sure are buddies right now aren't they? Kinda looks like McNabb and TO yucking it up on the sidelines when they had it going at first. This is going to be high-larious.Didn't Dallas lose to the lowly Redskins?

Couple weeks of tape on him now and def will start planning against him. Leinart looked good for two starts too. I can't wait till Romo stuggles and T.O. is all up in his ####. It's going to be a top notch soap opera. They sure are buddies right now aren't they? Kinda looks like McNabb and TO yucking it up on the sidelines when they had it going at first. This is going to be high-larious.Didn't Dallas lose to the lowly Redskins?
:thumbdown:

Thanks for the response guys. I traded Brady for Romo and Lienert in a dynasty. We start 2 QB's and i had Manning and Brady. I did it because i was afraid i wouldnt have a QB week 15-16...

:thumbdown:
That wasn't the most diplomatic response thatguythere gave but I'm not so sure he was that far off.

:goodposting: I am not crowning him either......I do think he has looked good and is playing on a pretty good team with very good WR. How well he plays in the next 8 games will be a big factor in what I do at the end of the year.....I hope he keeps getting better
I am crowning him, he's the real deal get him before the price gets too high.

Yeah Michael Clayton, Mike Williams, Chris Perry are also the real deal. Get them cheap too.

I think he looked good and I think that he has a good opportunity to do well as a starter and in FF.

He is playing on a team with a solid running game, very talanted WRs and a good defense. He is mobile and his WRs will scramble to get open.

I think that Romo gives the Cowboys the best chance to win and I like what I have seen out of him, his play and his style.

I wish him the best of luck, especially now that solid play from him might bail me out of a bind or two with some akward QB fantasy situations.

in another romo thread one response was...

look at his weapons... no brainer...

but if it were that simple, bledsoe would have been great given same weapons...

clearly he is better at getting ball in the hands of TO (when he isn't dropping it) & witten

so it is combo of admittedly outstanding weapons, plus i think romo does bring more to the table... i said it in other thread, but i think he has chance to put up some monster numbers...

i started him over palmer this week & was glad i did... he would have done even better if TO had caught that 80 yarder that might have gone for TD...

Last edited by a moderator:
With Pennington and McNair as my other 2 QBs, there is a good chance that Romo may be my starting QB the rest of the way unless he starts to play badly.

For teams fortunate enough to have a top QB and Romo, it would seem logical to try to move Romo to upgrade another position in the lineup. I'm trying to do that, and finding no one puts much value on him. So to flip it, anyone confident enough to trade a top QB, say Vick, and commit to Romo?

Yeah Michael Clayton, Mike Williams, Chris Perry are also the real deal. Get them cheap too.
Wow if you ever thought Mike Williams was the real deal and Romo is not, You need a new hobby.

For teams fortunate enough to have a top QB and Romo, it would seem logical to try to move Romo to upgrade another position in the lineup. I'm trying to do that, and finding no one puts much value on him. So to flip it, anyone confident enough to trade a top QB, say Vick, and commit to Romo?
Yeah I am in a similiar position, at this point I would commit to Romo because you are going to get low balled for him and I believe his value will increase. However I have three decent qbs in my main league so I can afford to trade one. I don't know what I would do if I had only two qbs though.

Bump. With Bill Parcells gone does his dynasty value change?
Depends on who replaces Parcells and what happens with the rest of the staff.
I guess the better question would be, is he definitely a starter in the NFL? If someone took over the Bengals or the Colts there's no question that Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning would still be the man. While Romo isn't in their league, can the same be said of him? I only saw Romo when he played the Bucs and threw for 5 TD's so I have a fuzzy view on his playing ability.

unless they draft a rookie and start him who else is out there that could even sniff the starting job from him? I can't think of anyone. I read that the cowboys plan on picking up Owens option on his contract. I don't think his ranking should change at all with parcells leaving, if Owens leaves different story...

At his apex in late November / early December this year, he made it to #12 in my dynasty rankings. Since then, he's dropped to #18 or 19 with his plummet back to earth, playoff performance, talk of losing T.O. and now the Parcells retirement.

There's no question in my mind that he played over his head for most of the season. Now the question is just how good is he. I don't think there's any doubt that he'll remain the starter in Dallas no matter who is brought in to coach, but there's a lot of uncertainty regarding Romo's future production there.

I think his value drops further with Parcells gone. Jerry Jones did not want Romo starting this year. Romo has not exactly been helping his cause recently. I think he is going to be on a real short leash now that Parcells is not around to protect him anymore. It would not surprise me at all if Jones brought in a veteran to “compete” with Romo.

I think his value drops further with Parcells gone. Jerry Jones did not want Romo starting this year. Romo has not exactly been helping his cause recently. I think he is going to be on a real short leash now that Parcells is not around to protect him anymore. It would not surprise me at all if Jones brought in a veteran to “compete” with Romo.
I hear Drew Bledsoe will be available. :bag:

unless they draft a rookie and start him who else is out there that could even sniff the starting job from him? I can't think of anyone. I read that the cowboys plan on picking up Owens option on his contract. I don't think his ranking should change at all with parcells leaving, if Owens leaves different story...
What if they hired Mike Martz? Same value as with Parcells?

he didn't at the outset. but i am sure his play quelled those worries.

'Boys Have Options with Romo, '08 Draft Premium Story

Tony Romo

By Staff Report

Posted Jun 30, 2007

Upstart quarterback Tony Romo wants a new deal -- the sooner the better. As owner Jerry Jones once said about linebacker Greg Ellis' contract demands, we all want more money.

The difference between Romo and Ellis is that Romo's future is in front of him, not behind him. He is a developing player who should only get better.

And while there is no question the Cowboys believe Romo has the potential to be their long-term answer at the position, the question they must answer is: do they pay Romo now or wait until he realizes his potential before putting the big money in front of him?

Romo has one year left on his contract and has already gone on record saying he wants an extension before the start of the 2007 season. The Cowboys are at least considering the option, as they have traded conversations with Romo's agent, Tom Condon.

The biggest obstacle is determining how much Romo is worth. He was a Pro Bowler last season and gave the team new life after taking over for the immobile Drew Bledsoe. But after winning five of his first six starts, Romo lost three of four to end the regular season and then commenced to lose the wild-card game against the Seahawks.

Romo's play was reflective of the team's results. He was great early but struggled late when it seems the opponents figured him out. Still, there was enough in what Romo did to indicate he will develop into a consistent starter for the Cowboys.

It could be financially shrewd for the Cowboys to sign Romo before the season. Unless Romo is a complete failure, signing him before the season should present a huge discount vs. what Romo would receive at the end of the season.

So don't be surprised if the Cowboys do get something done.

The Texans set the standard with a six-year, $48 million deal for quarterback Matt Schaub, who has only two career starts.

However, Romo has more to gain than the Cowboys by signing early.

If he takes less money by falling into a $48 million deal, then that's a win for a quarterback who was an undrafted free agent just five years ago.

The risk-reward for the Cowboys is greater. If Romo falters, they would have to eat the money and then find a quarterback for the future.

Don't believe that wasn't on their mind when they acquired the Browns' No. 1 pick for next season, giving the Cowboys two first round picks in 2008.

They now are expected to have the ammunition to move into the top five and possibly as high as No. 1.

If Romo succeeds, they can draft a franchise running back, receiver or offensive tackle. And regarding the money, owner Jerry Jones has never been shy about paying top dollar for a player worth the money. That is why it makes no sense for prognosticators to worry about Jones saving money now by signing Romo. Jones will be only too happy to pay Romo top dollar because he knows he will get it back tenfold in success on the field and marketing opportunities if Romo is successful. He is already one of the most popular quarterbacks in the league and he has yet to win a playoff game.

But if Romo fails, the Cowboys can use that pick on a quarterback and not be saddled with Romo's contract. That is what Jones would hate the most -- wasting money on a player who is not deserving of it.

Romo should be ranked a little lower in dynasty than in redraft. Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn are no spring chickens. It could be as soon as 2008 before that receiving corps and even the entire offense (Jones/Barber) is drastically altered. Romo has performed well with some great surrounding weapons, but it is far to early for me to declare Romo a top10 QB with Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd at WR.

Romo should be ranked a little lower in dynasty than in redraft. Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn are no spring chickens. It could be as soon as 2008 before that receiving corps and even the entire offense (Jones/Barber) is drastically altered. Romo has performed well with some great surrounding weapons, but it is far to early for me to declare Romo a top10 QB with Patrick Crayton and Sam Hurd at WR.
That's a fair point, but I don't think anybody really expects them to start Crayton & Hurd at WR anytime soon. They do have the two first rounders next year they could spend on a young guy, and it wouldn't be that hard to convince a top shelf WR to come to Dallas if Romo turns into a top 10-15 QB.

Users who are viewing this thread