What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (9 Viewers)

1) Is the best case scenario for that pick to get a similar player back? Realistically, is the player better than most players drafted at that pick?
This is a deceiving statement. In general, the player is typically better than most players at that pick with regards to your starting lineup. Rookies generally don't have immediate value to your starting lineup. Of course, you can always hit on a rookie pick. it's in the possible outcomes but it generally isn't likely in the near term. The actual player picked with a draft typically isn't the value of the pick.

Pick value always goes up as you get closer to the draft while the player you trade away doesn't have that built in value rise. These fringe players are always better to turn into picks as you are moving towards the end of a season and getting into draft season. This is where you gain value in trading a player for a pick.
Re-read what I wrote. I think we generally agree and saying the same thing. Maybe in my rush (on my break) I didn't explain it as well as I could. It also really depends on the player and situation and league/settings and what the league "values". I think we generally agree!

Also what you wrote about pick value and player value rising and falling at different times of year is very important. When to buy picks, when to trade picks, when to trade active key players during the season when their value is the highest.

One example is you could have bought Mike Evans for cheap this past offseason while now in the season he is more expensive. If you are contender you can trade that late second right before the draft for a veteran player to a team who sees these rookie picks as gold.

1) Is the best case scenario for that pick to get a similar player back? Realistically, is the player better than most players drafted at that pick?
This is a deceiving statement. In general, the player is typically better than most players at that pick with regards to your starting lineup. Rookies generally don't have immediate value to your starting lineup. Of course, you can always hit on a rookie pick. it's in the possible outcomes but it generally isn't likely in the near term. The actual player picked with a draft typically isn't the value of the pick.

Pick value always goes up as you get closer to the draft while the player you trade away doesn't have that built in value rise. These fringe players are always better to turn into picks as you are moving towards the end of a season and getting into draft season. This is where you gain value in trading a player for a pick.

Agreed...in the trade we are discussing I know I could do far more damage in a future deal with those #2's then I could with Kmet...sometimes it is not about the deal you are making now but what that deal will allow you to do in the future...draft picks don't tend to lose value.
The last statement is another good one - building value and using that value to turn those picks into more value later. Whether that is selling 2024s for 2025s + something or using it later to buy fantasy production or upgrading at a position. Build and grow that fantasy currency!

Agreed...in the trade we are discussing I know I could do far more damage in a future deal with those #2's then I could with Kmet...sometimes it is not about the deal you are making now but what that deal will allow you to do in the future...draft picks don't tend to lose value.
Exactly... can turn those 2's (and have 3 now - 2.01, 2.05, 2.13) for a vet WR. I think DJ Moore may be available now but other WR will be available in the offseason for sure

14 team .. Standard Scoring .. Start 1qb, 1rb, 1wr, 1te, 2 flex, 1 k, 1d

I was just eliminated from playoffs in the semis .. the two teams in the championship have both offered me trades:

Give: Kelce
Get: Andrews

Give: Aiyuk and 2025 Late 2nd
Get: CWatson and 2024 - 1.13

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
CMC, Barkley, Etienne, JJacobs
ARSB, Kupp, Aiyuk, Higgins, JSN, TTucker, Metchie, Thielen
Kelce, Hockenson, BJordan
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

Thoughts: I am inclined to swap TE's .. Andrews has a couple years left while Kelce is done if not this year, then next. The 2nd one I like Aiyuk more than Watson so will probably decline.

I was just eliminated from playoffs in the semis .. the two teams in the championship have both offered me trades:

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

Thoughts: I am inclined to swap TE's .. Andrews has a couple years left while Kelce is done if not this year, then next. The 2nd one I like Aiyuk more than Watson so will probably decline.
I’d make that kelce one but think I’d pass on the Aiyuk one

Value of Kmet?

I have Kelce and Hockenson. I am worried about Kelce retiring but can part with Kmet and pick up a flyer TE to back up Hock next year.

Is a mid 2nd a good enough offer to accept?
All depends on the league and settings. Is this TEP and if so how much. How are TEs valued? Personally I would want more and I would think there is no rush to move him. I understand you might be wanting to get a couple extra picks but a mid second is a crap shoot at best. yes there were some good 2nd round fantasy picks in 2023 but not all hit. Right now you have a starting TE in Kmet who is still very young at 24 years old and ranked around TE10 in dynasty. I actually think his value right now is a bit low.

At best you would be hoping that 2nd round pick turns into someone like Kmet. I'd need more than just a 2nd. Probably 2 seconds, or a second and a young prospect I feel good about and is getting starting playtime.

If you take a mid-second pick what do you realistically expect to draft there?
Thanks.. it is not a TE Premium league .. standard scoring. I am trying for 2 2nds. Worst case a 2nd and Demario Douglas.
Not bad getting Demario as well if it isn't TEP. Again every league is different, even if it isn't TEP but I always think about this when trading a player for a single second or a first:

2) Sometimes it makes sense to get a player off your roster if you are trying to make room and will grab someone you like off waivers. But this is usually for 3rd or 4th round type values.
3) For most TEs I usually like to toss them in as fillers to finish of a big trade. Maybe Kmet can push a big trade over the edge if you need a boost.
4) I also look at when is the best time to trade a player. If it is an older player, during the season makes the most sense. I might sell for a small discount if I know that value will drop in the offseason. For a young player like Kmet, it is unlikely his value will drop much over time. TE 10 or TE14 isn't a big difference if it drops a bit. But since he's young and has shown promise his value could go up next season. In this case I'm not in a big rush to move him, even if I have 2 other good TEs. Waiting until someone else is hurting at TE and Kmet is having a good year can get you max value. At some point next year he will have a big game or two which could net you max value.

Anyways just some things to ponder.
Good advice.

Was able to get 2 2nds for Kmet (2.05 and 2.13). Come draft time, people love the picks so can add those easier to get a better player than Kmet.
Just moved Kmet and my 1st (hopefully 1.12) for McBride. I overpayed, but felt I needed an upgrade.
As much as I love McBride, I think you'll regret this one. Kmet will either be with Fields (who targets him often) or a rookie (who typically lean on TEs) next season. Both are young and have lots of football left in the tank.

Also this is a DEEP wr class. 1.12 will likely net you a very good wr or a top tier QB in non-SF.

All that to say, go get yer boy. I just agree that is was a heavy overpay in this instance.

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

See if you can squeeze a 2nd out of the Andrews owner. I was able to get a probable mid 2025 2nd with the same swap.

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

I’d smash the Andrews trade.

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

See if you can squeeze a 2nd out of the Andrews owner. I was able to get a probable mid 2025 2nd with the same swap.
I was able to get a 2025 2nd Rounder and Andrews for Kelce .. have paired Kelce and Mahomes for last 5 or 6 years but it was time to get our from Kelce before he retired.

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

I'd do the TE swap. Hardest of passes on that Aiyuk deal, though.

My team:

Mahomes, Goff
Tucker
Buffalo, NYJets

I'd do the TE swap. Hardest of passes on that Aiyuk deal, though.
I passed on Aiyuk deal. Got a 2025 2nd along with Andrews for Kelce

Anyone want to take a crack at dynasty top 5 TE's? TIA.

I will keep TJH off this because he had an ACL and I am very conservative dealing with those (i.e. I let someone else deal with it if I can)...without it he is easily on it...here is my top 5 (not in a specific order)

LaPorta-Easy selection

McBride-Easy selection part 2

Andrews-Easy selection part 3 until he shows some decline

Bowers-After what has happened to the last can't miss TE prospect there is a little reluctance but he is still a shiny new toy so the value will be very high in Dynasty

Fifth member is a tough one...if Likely were on a different team he could sneak in...Musgrave is so intriguing, but Kraft looks good and could put a dent in his value...I have a tough time putting Kittle here since he will be 31 next season and with his style it feels like he could drop fast...if the Falcons get smart and can Arthur Smith and find a legit NFL QB I have no issues sliding Pitts in here because he is still only 23...so I guess as of today I would put in Kincaid as my #5 but again that is because I don't want to deal with TJH's injury and I could easily be persuaded to move Pitts into this spot depending on what Atlanta does this offseason.

I'll give it a go for dynasty PPR with TE premium

Andrews
LaPorta
McBride
Hock
Kittle

(in no particular order)

It's really cool how the top TEs have turned over in the past 3 years or so. Seems like the top 3-4 guys were the top 3-4 guys for a LONG time.
I like your list and would rank them youngest to oldest as they are all producing.
The changing of the guard seemed inevitable last year with the age of the current studs and the influx of talent. I reached on Kincaid for this exact reason. The neat thing is that not only has there been some turnover at the top, there is also an influx of guys like Kincaid, Ferguson, njoku so that we have more than a dozen TE1s for the first time in awhile.

I will keep TJH off this because he had an ACL and I am very conservative dealing with those (i.e. I let someone else deal with it if I can)...without it he is easily on it...here is my top 5 (not in a specific order)

LaPorta-Easy selection

Bowers-After what has happened to the last can't miss TE prospect there is a little reluctance but he is still a shiny new toy so the value will be very high in Dynasty

Fifth member is a tough one...if Likely were on a different team he could sneak in...Musgrave is so intriguing, but Kraft looks good and could put a dent in his value...I have a tough time putting Kittle here since he will be 31 next season and with his style it feels like he could drop fast...if the Falcons get smart and can Arthur Smith and find a legit NFL QB I have no issues sliding Pitts in here because he is still only 23...so I guess as of today I would put in Kincaid as my #5 but again that is because I don't want to deal with TJH's injury and I could easily be persuaded to move Pitts into this spot depending on what Atlanta does this offseason.
I like this a lot.

Kincaid wasn't LaPorta as a rookie, but he's still a special athlete, and likely is Allen's TE of the future. And BUF doesn't have a WR1 of the future--at the moment.

LaPorta-Easy selection

I like this a lot.

Kincaid wasn't LaPorta as a rookie, but he's still a special athlete, and likely is Allen's TE of the future. And BUF doesn't have a WR1 of the future--at the moment.

Agreed...he is losing some steam as the season has gone on but he looks the part and checks a lot of the boxes as far as Dynasty goes.

LaPorta-Easy selection

Can't argue with your logic. It's great to see the young 5-10 TEs in a position to be a LOT better than the 5-10 guys of the past. Musgrave, Kincaid, Njoku, Kmet and Pitts all could be in that top 5 spot. I'm very hesitant on Bowers because TE is such a difficult position to learn and we see it time and time again that it takes 2-3 years for rookies to master the position.

My top 15 for dynasty ppr

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh
Goedert and friermuth in there somewhere but yeah.
I guess they could slot in ahead of Kraft for some folks. But, I’d rather have Kraft at lower cost. I’d also probably have likely ahead of those guys with the same thought in mind.

LaPorta-Easy selection

Can't argue with your logic. It's great to see the young 5-10 TEs in a position to be a LOT better than the 5-10 guys of the past. Musgrave, Kincaid, Njoku, Kmet and Pitts all could be in that top 5 spot. I'm very hesitant on Bowers because TE is such a difficult position to learn and we see it time and time again that it takes 2-3 years for rookies to master the position.

Fully understand the thinking on Bowers, especially with Pitts not already being in the Hall-of-Fame...but I look at him more as an asset meaning even if doesn't become big time (which many are definitely projecting) as long as he looks solid early his value will be worthy of being top 5...from personal experience I know I was able to cash out on Pitts in a very big way once I became wary of what was going on in Atlanta.

Interesting that Musgrave hasn't made anyone's list. He flashed some solid talent in his first season.

I did mention him as a legit contender for top 5 and I do really like him...my issue for top 5 is this Kraft kid looks pretty good and might be a detriment to maxing out his stats.

Interesting that Musgrave hasn't made anyone's list. He flashed some solid talent in his first season.

I did mention him as a legit contender for top 5 and I do really like him...my issue for top 5 is this Kraft kid looks pretty good and might be a detriment to maxing out his stats.
Fair assessment (again). Other than Gronk/Hernandez has there ever been better than average production from a pair of TEs on a the same team (barring injury and trades)?

Fair assessment (again). Other than Gronk/Hernandez has there ever been better than average production from a pair of TEs on a the same team (barring injury and trades)?
2015 Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Davis for the Jets; combined year ends stats of 9 catches for 95 yards, which is clearly the opposite of what you're asking for but is still an amazing stat to me. Your top 2 TEs didn't record 10 catches combined and failed to reach 100 total yds in a season. That takes real effort and kudos to the coaching staff for staying the course and refusing to be tempted to toss a ball their way.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh
I guess they could slot in ahead of Kraft for some folks. But, I’d rather have Kraft at lower cost. I’d also probably have likely ahead of those guys with the same thought in mind.

People really sleeping on Goedert. I’d take him over about half the names on that list but I guess outside the top 5 a lot comes down to personal preference.

The guy I actually forgot about is Njoku...after being pretty frustrating fantasy-wise for 6 years he looks fantastic in year 7 at age 27...tough to say whether this is a career-year or a sign of things to come especially with how productive he has been with Flacco at QB...I still wouldn't have him in my top 5 due to the uncertainty of Watson and whether this year is simply an outlier but he does look very legit right now.

Last edited:

They both look good and seem like a good combo and will be interesting to see how they use them. Got zero qualms that Musgrave is the top guy, just a matter of if he starts ceding snaps to Kraft who deserves to play a lot more then he was when Musgrave was healthy. With the young WR's that now looks at least 4 deep with decent quality players it's a hard team to predict how they will be utilizing their weapons next year.

In answer to your Gronk/Hernandez question my answer is no. Fleener and Dwayne Allen both scored 8 TD's one year and I remember that being noted as something very unusual that two TE's on the same team had 8 or more TD's in a year but even with that Fleener was a low end TE1 type and Allen was not worth much.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

People really sleeping on Goedert. I’d take him over about half the names on that list but I guess outside the top 5 a lot comes down to personal preference.

I don't think anyone is really sleeping on Goedert...if anything you can make a very good case that at age 29 (in a couple of days) we know exactly what he is which is pretty solid but nothing special...this is year 6 and he has never had a year with more than 58 receptions, only 1 year with 5 TDs (that was 2019)...yardage-wise he has had a few good years but not enough to overcome the nothing too special reception and TD #'s...Dynasty-wise he is what he is...a solid, quality TE but at this point I don't think he is in contention for a top 5 Dynasty list.

They both look good and seem like a good combo and will be interesting to see how they use them. Got zero qualms that Musgrave is the top guy, just a matter of if he starts ceding snaps to Kraft who deserves to play a lot more then he was when Musgrave was healthy. With the young WR's that now looks at least 4 deep with decent quality players it's a hard team to predict how they will be utilizing their weapons next year.

In answer to your Gronk/Hernandez question my answer is no. Fleener and Dwayne Allen both scored 8 TD's one year and I remember that being noted as something very unusual that two TE's on the same team had 8 or more TD's in a year but even with that Fleener was a low end TE1 type and Allen was not worth much.

Agreed...excellent real football situation but there is uncertainty on the fantasy-side of things especially since they are both on cheap rookie contracts so they aren't going anywhere for a while.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

I don't think anyone is really sleeping on Goedert...if anything you can make a very good case that at age 29 (in a couple of days) we know exactly what he is which is pretty solid but nothing special...this is year 6 and he has never had a year with more than 58 receptions, only 1 year with 5 TDs (that was 2019)...yardage-wise he has had a few good years but not enough to overcome the nothing too special reception and TD #'s...Dynasty-wise he is what he is...a solid, quality TE but at this point I don't think he is in contention for a top 5 Dynasty list.
I actually think Goedert is special and have felt him vs Kittle in real football is a good argument as both are arguably the top two all around TE's in the game with respect to blocking and what they offers as receivers. They are very similar players to me.

His timing just stinks. When he finally got rid of Ertz he got saddled with Hurts and then the AJB trade to compound the issue. He's hyper efficient on a per target basis, just not enough consistently comes his way.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

I actually think Goedert is special and have felt him vs Kittle in real football is a good argument as both are arguably the top two all around TE's in the game with respect to blocking and what they offers as receivers. They are very similar players to me.

His timing just stinks. When he finally got rid of Ertz he got saddled with Hurts and then the AJB trade to compound the issue. He's hyper efficient on a per target basis, just not enough consistently comes his way.
Injuries have always been frustrating with goedert as well. He has always just seemed overvalued to me. I’m just not too high on him.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

Thats the problem with looking at only end of season totals because he split with Ertz for 4 of those 6 years. His first full year without Ertz in 2022 he was a #5 in PPG. This year he’s down to around TE10 in PPG which is not exciting but the whole Eagles offense is down this year. If you think they’ll get back to right next year he’s very good value being ranked outside the top 15 in these example lists.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

I don't disagree from a real football standpoint that Goedert is very legit although I don't have him that close to Kittle who is a much more dynamic all-around presence...I see him as a difference-maker and I don't put Goedert into that category.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

Thats the problem with looking at only end of season totals because he split with Ertz for 4 of those 6 years. His first full year without Ertz in 2022 he was a #5 in PPG. This year he’s down to around TE10 in PPG which is not exciting but the whole Eagles offense is down this year. If you think they’ll get back to right next year he’s very good value being ranked outside the top 15 in these example lists.

I think there is a disconnect here...I agree he is good but the conversation here is about top 5 Dynasty TE's...at age 29 I just don't have him in the mix for that status.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

I think there is a disconnect here...I agree he is good but the conversation here is about top 5 Dynasty TE's...at age 29 I just don't have him in the mix for that status.

Nothing in this post chain is talking about only top 5 so I think you are the one disconnected. The one i responded to didn’t even list Goedert in the top 15. I never argued he should be in the top 5 and specifically mentioned he is outside the top 5 and after that personal preference affects a lot of individual rankings.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

Nothing in this post chain is talking about only top 5 so I think you are the one disconnected. The one i responded to didn’t even list Goedert in the top 15. I never argued he should be in the top 5 and specifically mentioned he is outside the top 5 and after that personal preference affects a lot of individual rankings.
This TE discussion began at 7:33am with the post below so maybe we are in two different worlds here...mine is with the Top 5 in mind and it seems yours is overall.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

This TE discussion began at 7:33am with the post below so maybe we are in two different worlds here...mine is with the Top 5 in mind and it seems yours is overall.

I accept responsibility for this bickering. I don’t understand instructions to well. Anyways…
My top 5 is *
Laporta
Andrews
Mcbride
Kincaid
Hock

* Only in dynasty

Carry on

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

I accept responsibility for this bickering. I don’t understand instructions to well. Anyways…
My top 5 is *
Laporta
Andrews
Mcbride
Kincaid
Hock

* Only in dynasty

Carry on

Lol, you are a better man than me. I like your top 5 although I think most folks have fallen in love with McBride too much. Especially since I think it’s a high probability lock that MHJr. lands in ARI.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

My top 5 is *
Laporta
Andrews
Mcbride
Kincaid
Hock

* Only in dynasty

Carry on

Lol, you are a better man than me. I like your top 5 although I think most folks have fallen in love with McBride too much. Especially since I think it’s a high probability lock that MHJr. lands in ARI.
There are plenty of instances of an offense supporting a high level WR and TE. If anything, another priority target should make it more difficult for DCs to game plan McBride.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh

My top 5 is *
Laporta
Andrews
Mcbride
Kincaid
Hock

* Only in dynasty

Carry on

I agree, McBride is a good player but I consider him a sell high as I see him falling closer to the back end of the top ten by next year’s end. Murray has not been able to get the WR’s involved at all and I think that changes over the course of the off-season. Not trashing McBride at all, he is a good player. I do not think he ends up with anywhere near the target share he has received going forward however.

Laporta
Andrews
McBride
Kincaid
Hockenson
Kittle
Ferguson
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
Mayer
Kmet
Schultz
Kraft
meh
Good list. My :2cents:

Laporta
Andrews
Hockenson
Kincaid
McBride
Kittle
- break -
Goedert
‘muth
Pitts
Njoku
Kelce
Engram
-break-
Mayer
Kmet
Chig

Some dynasty leagues open up trading soon. In 1QB leagues, where do you value pick #1 in terms on startup draft value or if you were trading for other draft picks?

Users who are viewing this thread