What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli or Romo, who would you rather have now? (1 Viewer)

"Give me over-rated QB's for 2008, Alex""Who are Eli Manning and Derek Anderson?"
Hard to be overated when you just won a Super Bowl. No one is calling him an HoFer - but he is a Super Bowl WINNING QB (unlikes say a Dilfer who was along for the ride and not a key reason why they won, as Eli was)
Im sure Dilfer did not contribute at all to the team that year. Because when you have a good defense QB play is so not important. Tony Banks must have not wanted to play the whole year cause its not like he got benched for Dilfer or anything...
Dilfer played better than you think. He did what was asked. He didn't light it up, but he didn't melt under the pressure of being in the SB, he made some throws (particularly to Shannon Sharpe) when he needed to, especially that 90 some harder vs. Oakland in the playoffs.Dilfer was the perfect QB for that team, he was experienced enough to know how not to screw it up. Guys just like a Tony Banks could not have done what he was asked to do.
I know...that was the point I was trying to make dipped heavy in sarcasim.

I wonder if anyone argued so hard for Trent Dilfer when he won a Super bowl like some are for Eli...so winning a superbowl and actually being a consistant QB for 3 games gets you crowned Denny Green style now? :moneybag: Im not trying to hate but really....too small and inconsistent a sample size for both guys to be ranking them as high as some folks are ranking them.
I thought the same thing, Dilfer won a super bowl and many may have said the Ravens won "in spite of" Dilfer. The same argument could be made for Eli, though not as strongly.Until this last streak of games by Eli, most Giants fans I know lived in the fear of "oh no! what is Eli going to do to screw this game up". This recent streak may be a sign that he is moving beyond the point of the QB who makes everyone cringe when he drops back to pass. That would be good for the league and the NYG's. Don't forget folks, just before Eli's "great escape"/helmet catch by Tyree, there was an ill-advised floating pass that was very close to being intercepted on the sidelines by the PATS.Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Elisha, but let's not pretend he is flawless just because he won a super bowl! It obviously does not take a QB "great" to win a SB, see earlier Dilfer reference.
Again, Dilfer's situation is not AT ALL comparable to Eli's other than the winning the SB part.Dilfer was a caretaker. Eli was the best offensive player through the course of the playoffs.Dilfer had to just not lose the game, Eli had numerous KEY drives at PIVOTAL moments of the game (end of half against Dallas, two 80 yard + TD drives ending in TD passes in the 4th quarter to twice retake the lead against NE and others). Dilfer had a top 5 defense EVER behind him. Eli's D played fantastic, but it was not the Ravens.Dilfer had a run run run first offense. The Giants are a fairly balanced attack, and Eli did well even when the running game did not in the playoffs.Dilfer was a known commodity and Eli is still a young, growing QB.So stop with the Dilfer comparisons. They are not apt.
:thumbup:
I wonder if anyone argued so hard for Trent Dilfer when he won a Super bowl like some are for Eli...so winning a superbowl and actually being a consistant QB for 3 games gets you crowned Denny Green style now? :moneybag: Im not trying to hate but really....too small and inconsistent a sample size for both guys to be ranking them as high as some folks are ranking them.
I thought the same thing, Dilfer won a super bowl and many may have said the Ravens won "in spite of" Dilfer. The same argument could be made for Eli, though not as strongly.Until this last streak of games by Eli, most Giants fans I know lived in the fear of "oh no! what is Eli going to do to screw this game up". This recent streak may be a sign that he is moving beyond the point of the QB who makes everyone cringe when he drops back to pass. That would be good for the league and the NYG's. Don't forget folks, just before Eli's "great escape"/helmet catch by Tyree, there was an ill-advised floating pass that was very close to being intercepted on the sidelines by the PATS.Don't get me wrong, I was rooting for Elisha, but let's not pretend he is flawless just because he won a super bowl! It obviously does not take a QB "great" to win a SB, see earlier Dilfer reference.
Again, Dilfer's situation is not AT ALL comparable to Eli's other than the winning the SB part.Dilfer was a caretaker. Eli was the best offensive player through the course of the playoffs.Dilfer had to just not lose the game, Eli had numerous KEY drives at PIVOTAL moments of the game (end of half against Dallas, two 80 yard + TD drives ending in TD passes in the 4th quarter to twice retake the lead against NE and others). Dilfer had a top 5 defense EVER behind him. Eli's D played fantastic, but it was not the Ravens.Dilfer had a run run run first offense. The Giants are a fairly balanced attack, and Eli did well even when the running game did not in the playoffs.Dilfer was a known commodity and Eli is still a young, growing QB.So stop with the Dilfer comparisons. They are not apt.
I agree that Eli > Dilfer. But Eli may have just graduated to the Romo tier, but has certainly not passed him yet. Let's see if Eli's passer rating can crack 90 next year.....Eli-lovers are suffering from "recency" effect, they can only remember what happened yesterday, not 2 yesterdays ago. The real key is tomorrow, in which I believe Romo will continue to put up better numbers and win a higher percentage of games than Eli as he has career to date.
The Romo tier? What tier is that? The tier of QBs who put up great numbers for a while, but then crumble down the stretch (something Romo has done in both seasons as a starter)? I am not even close to being an Eli-lover or whatever you want to call it, but while Romo might put up better numbers, Eli has proven to be more clutch and more money when it really counts. Call me crazy, but I would rather have a QB who might be a tad inconsistent at times, but comes through in the playoffs, than a guy who can put up great numbers in the regular season but plays poorly in the playoffs.

I think both sides are stupid... Romo people give all the credit to the Giant's defense as if the Cowboy's defense isn't good and the Eli people are overvaluing Eli because of his clutch play. Eli certainly a much more clutch player than Romo though. Romo has the numbers but look at his toys and offensive line... Eli's best option is a tall (and talented) slow WR (also a bit of a malcontent)... I think both QB's are good enough to win with. I think Eli has the more upside as a passer and Romo is a solid player who can scramble and make plays.

Who cares neither are in the same class as Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, or Donavon McNabb.

I think both sides are stupid... Romo people give all the credit to the Giant's defense as if the Cowboy's defense isn't good and the Eli people are overvaluing Eli because of his clutch play. Eli certainly a much more clutch player than Romo though. Romo has the numbers but look at his toys and offensive line... Eli's best option is a tall (and talented) slow WR (also a bit of a malcontent)... I think both QB's are good enough to win with. I think Eli has the more upside as a passer and Romo is a solid player who can scramble and make plays.

Who cares neither are in the same class as Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, or Donavon McNabb.
Did you watch a game of football this year?Plax did everything the Giants asked of him DESPITE having a bad ankle for the last 18 weeks of the season.

McNabb hasn't been in the Top 5 for a few years now.

At much as it pains me to say this (being an Eagles homer), I think both teams should feel great to have those guys under center. If we're debating raw output, Romo has obviously trounced Manning statistically. And, he's shown a better ability to make plays under duress. However, you can't deny the way Manning led his team when it counted most; or that the kid is tough as nails.

What I think we have to ask ourselves is, all things being equal, which guy would you prefer? I don't think it's an easy answer one way or another. Were I forced to pick one of them right now with a gun to my head, I would probably opt for Romo but I wouldn't necessarily feel confident I made the right pick.

Honestly, how many NFL teams have a better starting QB situation? Both are you, both are winners, both can make any throw, and both are under long-term contracts. As an Eagles fan, I hate that they both have sub-30 year old playmakers. :shrug:

Although the majority of this thread has nothing to do with fantasy football prospects, let me make sure my prior response is understood in the context of the NFL, not fantasy. In terms of fantasy, Tony Romo is far and away the better option.

Although the majority of this thread has nothing to do with fantasy football prospects, let me make sure my prior response is understood in the context of the NFL, not fantasy. In terms of fantasy, Tony Romo is far and away the better option.
Fantasy wise I don't even see a debate - it's Romo all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread