What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Five Money Dishes (1 Viewer)

Ray Karpis

Footballguy
Over the years Mrs. Karpis has done a lion's share of the cooking. I grill, do breakfast, fix chili every now and then, but she does the real cooking. I want to nail down 5 dishes that could become, for lack of a better word, my "signature" dishes. Something the kids would think back to when they're older and say, "my dad used to fix this..." Something your family asks you to bring to the family holidays/reunions.

I'm thinking about something in the following categories: 1) a pasta dish, 2) a breakfast dish, 3) a hot sandwich, 4) a soup/gumbo/red beans & rice, and 5) a beef or pork entree (other than just grilled filet).

Open to suggestions for recipes or dishes.

What is your signature dish?

1. A great Alfredo

2. Eggs benedict

3. A Cuban Sandwich

4. Red beans and rice

5. A perfect medium rare roast with a great spicy rub.

Recipes for these are all readily available online and great dishes.

Pasta carbonara for the pasta dish. There are many variations and you'll hear about what's authentic and what isn't. But, that being said, the carbonara I make, while not truly authentic, is very easy to make and is enjoyed universally.

You'll need:

1 lb bacon

1 large sweet onion, chopped

4 eggs

1 lb pasta (usually linguini or spaghetti)

~ 1/3 cup Grated cheese

Black pepper

Cayenne pepper (if you like)

While you get water boiling for the pasta, cut the bacon into 1/2" pieces (bite size) and fry in a pan. Cook thoroughly but don't overcook. Remove from the pan but keep the bacon oil/grease and add the onion. Add pepper and cayenne (very little). When onions are cooked, add the bacon back, mix, and continue to cook on low heat until pasta is done.

In another bowl, mix the 4 eggs and add grated cheese until the mixture thickens. I use a combination of Parmesan/Asiago/Romano but use whatever you'd like. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and let it sit for ~3-4 minutes. Combine the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta and add the bacon/onion combination and mix well. Add extra cheese and/or black pepper to taste. WARNING--DO NOT add the egg mixture too soon after you drain the pasta. If the pasta is too hot, it will cook the egg too much and you'll have pasta with scrambled egg.

This dish takes the amount of time it takes to boil water and cook pasta. Minimal ingredients. Tastes fantastic. Authentic carbonara does not have onions in it but I enjoy the flavor it adds. Most restaurants make their carbonara with some sort of cream sauce. THIS is what you don't want to do. Do not worry about the eggs being raw, it will be cooked enough with the warm pasta.

For some reason I've become the pancake guy in my family. Not a bad gig as far as breakfast goes.

Chicken parm too. Unfortunately to make it well takes some time.

Ribs too but I enjoy that.

Don't have a soup (potato is good but not great), but I've nailed a sandwich. My take on a reuben. Pastrami, kraut, onion, pickle, horse radish, and a little 1000 island on rye. Gotta grill the meat and onion then serve everything else cold. Don't skimp on the bread or horseradish either, get the good stuff.

Good stuff, guys. Keep it coming. And to clarify, I'm not looking for easy, cheap dishes. I'm not opposed to spending a little time on something.

Really like the baked ziti idea. Also had a girlfriend whose mom a great lasagna...might track that down.

I personally love a Cuban, but not sure that's up the kids alley. Maybe a Monte Cristo...or a top shelf grilled cheese with bacon and tomato.

I'm pretty adept at pancakes and scrambled eggs already...maybe biscuits and a really good gravy or a French toast.

Lots to chew on.

Pasta carbonara for the pasta dish. There are many variations and you'll hear about what's authentic and what isn't. But, that being said, the carbonara I make, while not truly authentic, is very easy to make and is enjoyed universally.

You'll need:

1 lb bacon

4 eggs

~ 1/3 cup Grated cheese

Black pepper

While you get water boiling for the pasta, cut the bacon into 1/2" pieces (bite size) and fry in a pan. Cook thoroughly but don't overcook. Remove from the pan but keep the bacon oil/grease and add the onion. Add pepper and cayenne (very little). When onions are cooked, add the bacon back, mix, and continue to cook on low heat until pasta is done.

In another bowl, mix the 4 eggs and add grated cheese until the mixture thickens. I use a combination of Parmesan/Asiago/Romano but use whatever you'd like. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and let it sit for ~3-4 minutes. Combine the egg/cheese mixture into the pasta and add the bacon/onion combination and mix well. Add extra cheese and/or black pepper to taste. WARNING--DO NOT add the egg mixture too soon after you drain the pasta. If the pasta is too hot, it will cook the egg too much and you'll have pasta with scrambled egg.

This dish takes the amount of time it takes to boil water and cook pasta. Minimal ingredients. Tastes fantastic. Authentic carbonara does not have onions in it but I enjoy the flavor it adds. Most restaurants make their carbonara with some sort of cream sauce. THIS is what you don't want to do. Do not worry about the eggs being raw, it will be cooked enough with the warm pasta.
I would get rid of the bacon grease and omit the onion but this is a solid recipe. Add a ladle full of pasta water to the egg mixture to temper (and add a silkiness to the sauce) and you won't have to wait 3-4 minutes for pasta to cool.

Andouille and Kale Soup

Ingredients

2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil

5 small red potatoes, sliced into rounds

2 medium onions, chopped

4 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped

2 bay leaves, fresh or dried

1 pound kale, coarsely chopped

Coarse salt and pepper

1 (15-ounce) can garbanzos (chick peas), drained and rinsed (or 1 C dry beans soaked overnight)

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 pound smoked andouille sausage, sliced and browned

2 quarts chicken broth

Directions

Heat oil in a deep pot over medium high heat. Add potatoes and onions, cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add garlic, bay leaves, and kale to the pot. Cover pot and wilt greens 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomatoes, sausage, and broth to the pot and bring soup to a full boil. Reduce heat back to medium and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.

I have a great recipe for Pork Carnitas. Once you make it, you can use it for tacos, nachos or posole (soup). Very versatile and yummy.

I would get rid of the bacon grease and omit the onion but this is a solid recipe. Add a ladle full of pasta water to the egg mixture to temper (and add a silkiness to the sauce) and you won't have to wait 3-4 minutes for pasta to cool.
We should have a spinoff thread for random cooking tips like this. I've been adding a little pasta water back into pasta dishes, great tip.

I have a few things.

[SIZE=medium]The Best Meatballs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Meatballs/Detail.aspx[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ingredients[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=8pt]2 pounds ground beef [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 pound ground veal [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 pound ground pork (if you cannot find ground veal, double the ground pork)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]3 cloves [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]garlic[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt], minced (or ½ tsp garlic powder)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]3 eggs [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 ½ cup freshly grated Romano cheese (or grated Parmesan cheese)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]2 tablespoons parsley [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]salt and [/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]ground[/SIZE][SIZE=7.5pt] black pepper[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt] to taste [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]2 cups bread crumbs[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]2 cups milk[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Directions[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=8pt]Combine beef, veal, and pork in a large bowl. Add garlic, eggs, cheese, parsley, salthttp://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Meatballs/Detail.aspx[/SIZE] and pepper.
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Blend bread crumbs into meat mixture. Slowly add the milk 1/2 cup at a time. The mixture should be very moist but still hold its shape when rolled into meatballs.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Bake meatballs at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; put sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet so the meatballs don’t stick.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Heat meatballs in sauce in crock pot for 3 hours. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]= = = = [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Sweet Hot Mustard Chicken Thighs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Recipe – http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sweet-Hot-Mustard-Chicken-Thighs/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=138913692&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2014-04-07&prop28=Feature_1&prop29=Detail&me=1&eaid=5508007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Video – http://allrecipes.com/video/3565/sweet-hot-mustard-chicken-thighs/detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=138913692&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2014-04-07&prop28=Feature_1&prop29=Photo&me=1&eaid=5508007[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Ingredients[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=8pt]Package (7 or 8) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]½ cup Dijon mustard[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]¼ cup packed brown sugar[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]¼ cup red wine vinegar[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 teaspoon dry mustard powder[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]½ teaspoon salt[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 teaspoon ground black pepper[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]½ teaspoon cayenne pepper[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 teaspoon minced garlic[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 onion, sliced into rings[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]2 teaspoons vegetable oil, or as needed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Directions[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=8pt]Make 2 slashes crosswise into the skin and meat of each chicken thigh with a sharp knife, cutting to the bone. Cuts should be about 1 inch apart. Transfer thighs into a heavy resealable plastic bag.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Whisk Dijon mustard, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, mustard powder, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a bowl until smooth. Whisk garlic into marinade.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Pour marinade into bag over chicken thighs and massage marinade into chicken, coating each thigh thoroughly and working the marinade into the cuts. Seal bag and refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight for best flavor).[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Move a rack to the center position in oven. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil the foil.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=8pt]Scatter onion rings onto prepared baking sheet. Place chicken thighs on top of onion rings. Sprinkle thighs with additional salt and cayenne pepper if desired.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=8pt]Roast chicken in preheated oven until the skin is browned, meat is tender, and the juices run clear, 45 minutes.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=8pt]Transfer chicken and onions onto a serving platter. Pour pan drippings into a saucepan, bring to a boil, and continue boiling, stirring often, until drippings are reduced by half, 3 to 4 minutes. Skim excess fat from pan sauce.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=8pt]Spoon reduced pan sauce over each chicken thigh and serve.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Kielbasa Crockpot Appetizer[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=8pt]2 lbs kielbasa[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 cup (1/2 box) of light brown sugar[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=8pt]Cut up kielbasa into small, bite-sized chunks[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Put kielbasa into crock pot[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Put brown sugar on kielbasa and stir[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=8pt]Put crock pot on “Low” for 3 hours[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=8pt]Serve from crock pot (as it’s much better when it’s warm)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Salisbury Steak[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Recipe - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Salisbury-Steak-with-Mushrooms/Detail.aspx[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Ingredients[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=8pt]1 pound lean ground beef [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1/3 cup dry bread crumbs [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1/4 cup chopped onions [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 egg, beaten [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]½ teaspoon salt [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]2 cups beef broth [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]½ large onion, thinly sliced [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]3 tablespoons cornstarch [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=8pt]3 tablespoons water[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]Directions[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=8pt]Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, chopped onion, egg, salt, and black pepper in a bowl until evenly mixed. Shape beef mixture into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=8pt]Fry patties in a large skillet over medium heat until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Add beef broth, onion and Worcestershire Sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until patties are no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes more. Transfer patties to a platter and keep warm.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=8pt]Bring onion mixture to a boil. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl; stir into onion mixture. Cook and stir until onion gravy is thickened, about 1 minute. Pour over patties to serve.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Creamy Chicken and Noodles[/SIZE]

- 1 whole chicken shredded (I used a cooked, store-bought, rotisserie chicken)

[SIZE=10pt]- 64 oz of chicken broth[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]- 2 10.5 oz cans of cream of chicken soup[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]- 1/2 stick of butter, quartered[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]- Salt & Pepper & Oregano (to taste)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]- Bag of egg noodles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1. Shred chicken[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2. Add rest of ingredients except noodles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]3. Low for 6 hours[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]4. Last hour before serving, add noodles[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
fire wieners in crescents.

lil smokies

american cheese

crescent roll dough

then when wrapped dose those weenies in Frank's Redhot Sauce and cook

cooking tip

if you have omelette problems with them either being over done or too runny but never just right, cheat! Once the botttomw has just set use the broiler to get the top (which becomes the inside) of the omelette done to just the right level

"The Best" baked ziti using sauce from a jar? Come on.
That was the only thing that seemed like a possible miss in that ziti recipe.

Do you have a homemade sauce recipe you would recommend? I could see doing the sauce the night before...letting it sit overnight, then making the ziti next day.

1. Learn to make a real Italian gravy, nothing else compares. I would give you my recipe but then I would have to kill you. I can give you some pointers.... quality olive oil and tomato paste, more garlic than you think you need, cook it long and slow

2. Everyone loves pancakes. People will throw bananas or chocolate or other stuff into them to cheat, but learn to make a really good pancake by itself, then add stuff. I add cinnamon, sugar, vanilla to my batter. Everyone loves my pancakes. Serve with quality bacon and real maple syrup and you may have to adopt people who refuse to leave your house.

3. I'm Philly through and through, cheesesteaks baby, wiz wit! But it's hard to do without Philly rolls. So outside of the area maybe slow cooked hot pork with broccoli rabe or maybe just a really good italian hoagie with real Italian deli meats (high quality, and don't forget the spicy soppressata and sweet peppers).

4. Learn to make gumbo, secret is in the roux. If you don't get that right don't bother, nothing you can add to it will hide the crumbling foundation. I love it dark and smokey, if the roux is great it's almost impossible to ruin the gumbo.

5. Lots of ways to go here. I'm actually looking to buy a pressure cooker. I keep hearing how great it is for slow cooking meat, but doing it quickly. Traps in flavors, breaks down the meat. I'm pretty sold, looking for a good deal or maybe waiting for one at Christmas.

The other thing, my "Signature" is learning how to cook a great Thanksgiving/holiday meal. Learn to cook a bird, stuffing, mashed potatoes, other veggies, gravy, biscuits and all the trimmings (don't listen to the food poisoning police pansies... put the stuffing IN the bird!) Nothing stands out like a well cooked turkey/ham dinner with the full spread. If you want to impress do that. Been cooking Thanksgiving for over 20 years, up to more than 40 people at times and that is the one that you can leave your mark on.

Good luck. I just got the Modernist Cuisine at Home cookbook myself. Picked up a siphon and I'm looking for a slow cooker and a sous vide circulator. Going to try taking it all up a notch and seeing how that goes.

"The Best" baked ziti using sauce from a jar? Come on.
That was the only thing that seemed like a possible miss in that ziti recipe.

Do you have a homemade sauce recipe you would recommend? I could see doing the sauce the night before...letting it sit overnight, then making the ziti next day.
Just wing it. That's the best part about pasta sauce, you can keep building the sauce over an extended period of time to make it just the way you want it.

Diced tomatoes, puree/paste, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, basil, bay leaves, olive oil, keep butter on standby, etc.

Why don't you make foods that you already like? That way, you'll be in a good mood when you make it, you'll make it often and you'll get good at making it your style.

For me, I've worked out making good pizza, ribs and french toast. If I find a way to make 5 dishes, I'll let you know, but I'm not going to perfect 5 just because the man tells me I have to.

cooking tip

if you have omelette problems with them either being over done or too runny but never just right, cheat! Once the botttomw has just set use the broiler to get the top (which becomes the inside) of the omelette done to just the right level
If the omelette is brown then turn down the heat or make sure you take the eggs out of the fridge 15 minutes before using

Pasta- a great mac and cheese, after all they are kids

Sandwhich- a great grilled cheese, again they are kids

Breakfast- steak biscuts

Soup- no real ideas

Beef- Country Fried Steak with masked tators and gravey

Don't forget the pork. Stuffed (Kalamata olives, basil, sun-dried tomatoes and mozz) pork chops are my go-to. Key to perfect grilled pork is a fresh thyme/rosemary/salt/pepper rub.

Posted this in the Cooking Discussion Thread.

One Pot Cheesy Pasta and Sausage

A creamy cheesy tomato basil sauce is cooked right into the linguine pasta in this amazing One Pot Pasta recipe, ready in 20 Minutes! Toss it all in a pot and let it cook. It's so easy it just about cooks itself.
Makes 6-8 servings

Prep 10 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
Total 30 minutes
Ingredients
  • 3 cups halved grape tomatoes, divided
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 pound smoked Italian sausage links, precooked (sliced into coins)
  • 20-30 basil leaves, divided
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 pound dry linguine
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Instructions
  1. Reserve 1 cup halved tomatoes, 10 basil leaves and cheese.
  2. Combine remaining ingredients in a large (12") braising pan or dutch oven over medium high heat.
  3. Cover and bring to a boil.
  4. Once water is boiling, remove cover and cook 7-9 minutes until pasta is al dente (with a bite to it).
  5. Toss pasta with tongs occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking. Liquid will be mostly absorbed when pasta is cooked.
  6. Add cheese and toss to combine. Cheese may clump but will melt into the sauce after a few minutes.
  7. Toss in remaining tomatoes and basil before serving.

This is such an underrated dish to be able to do and do well. Everyone from kids to grandmas love it, and you can gourmet it up to a standard that wouldn't get you yelled at on Hell's Kitchen, and can even integrate lobster or truffles or something once in a while to keep it fresh or angle it more adult. :thumbup:

I think you can get a lot more mileage from this -- and a lot more props for it -- than you could with a baked ziti.

Also:

- Try your hand at a good French onion soup. Done from scratch, it can be absolutely amazing.

- I enjoy a good red beans + rice. But you could teach yourself how to make a good, basic risotto in an afternoon, and could look like a gourmet studmuffin for years for the effort. :thumbup:

- A good Cubano for the sandwich.

- Get a wok and learn to do a proper stir fry with fresh ingredients and a minuscule amount of coconut oil.

- I don't think there's a meat dish out there that's better than just a well-cooked steak. Stick with that.

B-Deep said:
cooking tip

pro tip- mix a little pancake mix or baking powder into the eggs and they will fluff up like crazy under the broiler

I made apple and fennel marinated pork loin a few weeks ago. Sorry I dont have a recipe or measurements because it was improvised. Just blend up some apples and fennel and mix with balsamic and cover the entire loin and let it soak overnight. I mixed in a touch of mustard too.

Play it by ear and you should br fine.

This is such an underrated dish to be able to do and do well. Everyone from kids to grandmas love it, and you can gourmet it up to a standard that wouldn't get you yelled at on Hell's Kitchen, and can even integrate lobster or truffles or something once in a while to keep it fresh or angle it more adult. :thumbup:

I think you can get a lot more mileage from this -- and a lot more props for it -- than you could with a baked ziti.

Also:

- Try your hand at a good French onion soup. Done from scratch, it can be absolutely amazing.

- I enjoy a good red beans + rice. But you could teach yourself how to make a good, basic risotto in an afternoon, and could look like a gourmet studmuffin for years for the effort. :thumbup:

- A good Cubano for the sandwich.

- Get a wok and learn to do a proper stir fry with fresh ingredients and a minuscule amount of coconut oil.

- I don't think there's a meat dish out there that's better than just a well-cooked steak. Stick with that.
Please don't attempt to upset the Steak Gods by using Well and Steak in the same sentence when talking about Cooking. Use something like 'properly-cooked;' that way your steak will not come out overly cooked! ;)

Don't learn dishes. Learn techniques.

I suppose a braised chuck roast is a signature dish of mine. Family members invite themselves over and ask me to make pot roast. But it's not a single recipe. I put in what I feel like putting in. And I could just as well be braising coq au vin or short ribs or osso buco or whatever. Once you're braised one thing, you can braise most anything.

You'll need:

1 lb bacon

4 eggs

~ 1/3 cup Grated cheese

Black pepper

For a proper Carbonara (which, unfortunately I don't eat anymore), you've got to use pancetta from an Italian deli, not american style bacon.

For soup, I think every guy needs a go to chili recipe. When I was young that was always one of the things that was part of "dad's" cooking. I usually look at a couple recipes and then wing it, so I don't have one to post. The legendary chili thread is a good place to start though.

My Faves:

Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon

Margherita Pizza

Beef Bourguignon

Crispy Potatoes

Apple Cinnamon Walnut Pancakes

Roasted chicken with garlic mashed potatoes. Simple and timeless.
Yep to roasted chicken (any youtube will do), although I keep things extra simple by roasting potatoes (and carrots) on a bed of sliced onion with the chicken instead mashing them on the side. 30 minutes of prep time and 2 hours to cook = mini-feast.

Don't have a recipe to share (it's under construction) but I'd recommend experimenting with ratatouille; if you want to go the extra mile prepare it with homemade stock. I roll with vegetable stock built upon potato, carrot, onion, celery and black peppercorn. Throw in tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, mushroom, eggplant, bell pepper, garlic, jalapenos and more onion, and you're left with the worlds most awesome pot of vegetable stew. You can vary the dish from pure vegan to the ultimate bacon extravaganza (Aidell's chicken/apple sausage is standard fare for me). ... Without getting into recipe specifics, what works for me is to start with broth in a pot on one burner, and on another burner prepare one or two vegetables at a time in a non-stick, drawing forth the the individual essences first and then stewing them.

Good thread.

One super easy dish that you can get at spaghetti factory but easily make at home:

Chunk of mizithria cheese. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizithra

Pack of noodles

Cook noodles.

When finished add butter to noodles to coat them.

Use one of those fine roller type cheese graters and grind up cheese over individual portions.

Super easy and I have yet to have any of my 7 or 11 year old friends not ask for seconds. The cheese is not very expensive either.

Users who are viewing this thread