What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Foo Fighters are the greatest rock and roll band of all time (1 Viewer)

The Foos announced the name for their new CD: Wasting Light. The first single, Rope, will be released March 1st on iTunes.

the full track list:

'Bridge Burning'

'Rope'

'Dear Rosemary'

'White Limo'

'Arlandria'

'These Days'

'Back & Forth'

'A Matter of Time'

'Miss the Misery'

'I Should Have Known'

'Walk'
awesome.FWIW, here they are last month working out the kinks on "these days"

I did like their first couple albums when they came out, but since then they have not done anything noteworthy. They might be a top20 on my list for the 90s.
Oh wow, I actually think the reverse of this - Their first couple albums were good but their last couple have been GREAT, and Disc 1 of In Your Honor is, IMO, amazing. I don't think of Foo Fighters as a '90's band at all - They're definitely a 00's band and without racking my brain too much I'd say they're probably one of the Top 5 rock bands of 00's.

I've come to realize that the FFA tends to turn their nose at any (modern-ish) band not named Radiohead, who garners too much mainstream attention.

Just look at the first three rounds of our 00's draft... Some serious snobbery going on in there.

People arguing that they would rather be stuck on a desert island wiith an album made by "Teenage Dirtbusters and The Mummy Dwarf"** than All that you Cant Leave Behind" by U2!!!

**Not an actual band name, but pick any group with a name that sounds like they are trying WAY too hard to be clever and ironic.
:jawdrop: Good lord, man. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Frankbot said:
I did like their first couple albums when they came out, but since then they have not done anything noteworthy. They might be a top20 on my list for the 90s.
Oh wow, I actually think the reverse of this - Their first couple albums were good but their last couple have been GREAT, and Disc 1 of In Your Honor is, IMO, amazing. I don't think of Foo Fighters as a '90's band at all - They're definitely a 00's band and without racking my brain too much I'd say they're probably one of the Top 5 rock bands of 00's.
:lmao:Agree completely.

Bump to add the trailer for the Foo Fighters film/documentary "Back and Forth" which will hit some theaters on April 5th. Theres a preview of "Bridge Burning" that starts 40 seconds in.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Grohl: "Honestly had I taken this whole career thing seriously, I would have named it something else cuz its the worst f#####g band name in the world."

:lmao:

:lmao:Agree completely.
I would go as far as to say they are the #1 rock band of the past 15 years. There are bands that I like more, but the Foo Fighters have made more great music than anyone else during that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've come to realize that the FFA tends to turn their nose at any (modern-ish) band not named Radiohead, who garners too much mainstream attention.

Just look at the first three rounds of our 00's draft... Some serious snobbery going on in there.

People arguing that they would rather be stuck on a desert island wiith an album made by "Teenage Dirtbusters and The Mummy Dwarf"** than All that you Cant Leave Behind" by U2!!!

**Not an actual band name, but pick any group with a name that sounds like they are trying WAY too hard to be clever and ironic.
:fishing:

The Back and Forth documentary was awesome...unfortunately I missed the first 30 minutes or so. Listened to the album on soundcloud earlier this week, and it sounds great. Old school rock and roll album, the way it should be done.

I'm a little disapointed that they are touring Europe this summer and not much of the US.
I have a feeling they might do a bunch of US dates in July/August, right now theres no shows listed on their tour from 7/10 to 8/20....Theyre known for not taking many days off when on tour, so Im betting they add 20-25 US dates during that span.

Very cool. Easily my favorite band in the last 15 years.This looks awesome as well.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Rare_%28Foo_Fighters_album%29
Link fixedNice find. Ive got most of those songs already from b-side CDs, Ill have to look for the ones I dont have after it comes out since it looks like its only getting released on vinyl.

That doc was outstanding.And that song Dear Rosemary with Bob Mould rocks.
Bringing in Krist Novoselic to play on I Should Have Known was pretty cool, too.The first six tracks on the cd are outstanding.

Bringing in Krist Novoselic to play on I Should Have Known was pretty cool, too.The first six tracks on the cd are outstanding.
If tonight's SNL performance is any indication, their last track (Walk) pretty-much kicks ###, too.
Yup its good. Miight be my favorite of the 2nd half of the CD.
I really like A Matter of Time, I Should Have Known, and Walk from the 2nd half.The only 2 songs I really don't care for are White Limo (fun the first time, but tiresome after a while) and Back & Forth (which opens great, but then falls flat for me). But, those are small blips in what is otherwise a great album.

If tonight's SNL performance is any indication, their last track (Walk) pretty-much kicks ###, too.
Yup its good. Miight be my favorite of the 2nd half of the CD.
I really like A Matter of Time, I Should Have Known, and Walk from the 2nd half.The only 2 songs I really don't care for are White Limo (fun the first time, but tiresome after a while) and Back & Forth (which opens great, but then falls flat for me). But, those are small blips in what is otherwise a great album.
I agree about Back and Forth. Love it until a third of the way in, then it just loses me. I love White Limo, however. Especially in the car - its one of those songs that I find myself driving faster than the speed limit to. LolLike you said, overall its rock solid with only a couple of tracks that I'm not a huge fan of. Not many CDs out nowadays that have more good tracks than bad.

I suppose they should get credit for their consistency ... they are consistently mediocre. Not quite as bland as Coldplay, but certainly in the same league.

I've always liked Grohl as a person and I've tried to like Foo Fighters but outside of a few songs, they just don't do it for me. I think the best thing they've ever done is their performance on that VH1 Legends tribute to The Who show.

That first song sucked.
Nah, it doesn't suck. But, it's not in my top-5 songs on the album.

That first song sucked.
Nah, it doesn't suck. But, it's not in my top-5 songs on the album.
It took multiple listens before I liked it, now I dig it. However, I agree with cobalt, there are at least 5 songs on the CD that are better.

I think it's the best in years too, but that's not saying a whole lot. Rockable disc but they still lack the soul they had the first two.

Theyre doing 2 songs on the Daily Show tonight @ 11pm EST, and theyre taking suggestions for those songs on Facebook.

No doubt they will play either Rope or Walk, and hopefully something from a previous album or a cover.

:thumbup:

Tonight on the Daily Show Foo Fighters are gonna play 'Bridge Burning' and 'Arlandria' from the new CD!

:headbang:

These guys are everywhere lately, ya gotta love it. Leaking their own CD, giving 8 contest winners concerts in their garages, airing their new documentary on TV, taking requests for songs on their show appearances...Definitely one of the, if not THE coolest rock band around.

:bow:

Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say they are consistently mediocre; I'd say they are consistently adequately satisfactory. I'll steal the term used by someone earlier in saying its "rockable", which immediately makes the album better than mediocre. But it just doesn't have the "umph" to be anything better than good, which seems to be consistent with their recent past albums. The one thing they got going for them is that seem like a great bunch of guys, and they've made some legitimately funny music videos, though from what I can tell they stopped making any humorous type of music video in a while. They are playing everywhere this summer, will probably end up seeing them at some festival.

ETA: Since when has the brown guy been in the band? I don't remember ever seeing him before.

Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say they are consistently mediocre; I'd say they are consistently adequately satisfactory. I'll steal the term used by someone earlier in saying its "rockable", which immediately makes the album better than mediocre. But it just doesn't have the "umph" to be anything better than good, which seems to be consistent with their recent past albums. The one thing they got going for them is that seem like a great bunch of guys, and they've made some legitimately funny music videos, though from what I can tell they stopped making any humorous type of music video in a while. They are playing everywhere this summer, will probably end up seeing them at some festival.ETA: Since when has the brown guy been in the band? I don't remember ever seeing him before.
Pat Smear.. he was in Nirvana actually for a short time, played on the Unplugged record, and with the Foos early on. Guess he's back.

Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say they are consistently mediocre; I'd say they are consistently adequately satisfactory. I'll steal the term used by someone earlier in saying its "rockable", which immediately makes the album better than mediocre. But it just doesn't have the "umph" to be anything better than good, which seems to be consistent with their recent past albums. The one thing they got going for them is that seem like a great bunch of guys, and they've made some legitimately funny music videos, though from what I can tell they stopped making any humorous type of music video in a while. They are playing everywhere this summer, will probably end up seeing them at some festival.ETA: Since when has the brown guy been in the band? I don't remember ever seeing him before.
Pat Smear.. he was in Nirvana actually for a short time, played on the Unplugged record, and with the Foos early on. Guess he's back.
Yup. He also toured with them in 07-08.

Personally I wouldn't go so far as to say they are consistently mediocre; I'd say they are consistently adequately satisfactory. I'll steal the term used by someone earlier in saying its "rockable", which immediately makes the album better than mediocre. But it just doesn't have the "umph" to be anything better than good, which seems to be consistent with their recent past albums. The one thing they got going for them is that seem like a great bunch of guys, and they've made some legitimately funny music videos, though from what I can tell they stopped making any humorous type of music video in a while. They are playing everywhere this summer, will probably end up seeing them at some festival
Long Road To Ruin and White Limo down? Their last 2 videos before Rope.

Users who are viewing this thread